31 Day January 2017 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
31 Day January 2017 Challenge

This topic contains 2,437 replies, has 150 voices, and was last updated by  Fuvvie 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 2,440 total)

• Day 17 A grey but mild Belfast, NFD
    Had a successful FD yesterday. Lots of energy for my swimming club at 8pm. Came home and had a glass of sparkling water with lemon to stave off the munchies. Was starving this morning so had a small bowl of porridge. Had no blueberries so topped with sunflower seeds and a few sultanas. Had roast chicken at the weekend, so have made some stock with the bones and will make some healthy soup.
    @southcroydonkate look after your back and take time to let it heal. I’ve suffered for years and I sympathise with your pain.
    @pamelav glad to see you happier and like your list๐Ÿ˜„
    @goldensun MFP can be a blessing and a curse. Before I started to do this wol I used to track my cals every day in a vain effort to lose weight, and eating only 1450 cals made me quite disheartened. However, after starting fasting and eating up to my TDEE, it is a liberating and useful tool.
    @at love your quote about changing the future๐Ÿ‘
    @lilymartin. I’m sorry I’m so like you. Your comment made me go and browse through the pile of recipe books and I’ve resurrected my ‘Healthy Dieters’ cookbook in my quest for simple, home cooked food.
    @rahul1905 there is a free 5::2 diet app with a selection of calorie counted recipes, both vegetarian and not, which might give you some ideas. They’re not rocket science, but sometimes a little nudge in the right direction is what it takes.
    @fuvvie and of course thank you for your leadership, and the gentle nagging!

Well my fasting family, I’m determined to crack this NFD problem so onwards and downwards! I’m decorating my kitchen now the work is finished so my painting calls. Have a good day everyone.

Day 17 / FD / Oman
    Going ok today. I think I’m managing to get to evening on water and coffee alone. Save my calories for dinner!

Day 17 Portugal FD
    Weight just fluctuating between 64.3 and 64.9kg. I hope I haven’t reached a plateau! Today is second of the b2b fast. Feeling a little hungry but nothing serious. Hoping to make it to dinner time with just water and tea. All the best to everyone fasting today!

Day 17 Surrey UK NFD I think my computer may start behaving itself after I shouted at it yesterday! Oh gosh there is so much to catch up on, I will be reading for a week!
    Haven’t weighed for a week, I’m scared to! Think I have been reasonably vigilant…Something has just struck me. Because this is a WAY OF LIFE and not a diet, there is almost a subtle sense of not doing the right thing when just having normal days. I am not dieting, which has been such a pattern for a long time, and so it feels odd to just be eating normally and be watchful at the same time. Does this make sense?

Day 17 NFD Australia- Birthday Girl!!
    Definately not Fast Day today

Fuvvie – that spreadsheet is awesome.

another post.
    Hi Debster251.
    I can’t believe how similar we are despite being on opposite sides of the world. I am having my kitchen done up in 2 weeks!!
    Could have saved myself $12 AU if I had thought of looking up low cal recipes on the internet. But the recipe book just whispered to me yesterday at the newsagent. It just kept calling and calling until it ended up in my basket!

Day 18 NZ NFD
    It’s very late and I just realised I forgot to check in so making a quick stop before bed.
    A few people have mentioned vegetarian recipes ideas and I thought I would quickly mention a NZ based series of recipe books that you can buy online and subscribe to the emails for by Jeremy Dixon of Revive cafe.
    The four Revive cafe cookbooks and the cafe itself are all vegetarian, no processed ingredients, no sugars, no wheat/gluten and full of ideas from breakfast to desserts based on healthier options.
    I get the emails with a recipe attached and have two of the books which are really inspiring to help find a huge range of options from hotpots to salads and mains or base ingredients like tomato sauces, aioli, date purรฉe etc made from scratch with no processed ingredients yet with all the flavour you need. Worth a look if you are seeking inspiration for healthy options.
    Off to bed now and I’ll catch up properly tomorrow.

Day 17…..Florida…… FD

I’ve decided to do another FD, so it’s b2b for me. I did well yesterday, however, I just don’t think I did well enough after the weekend. So, another FD until my normal feelings come back. I know it sound odd, it’s just hard to explain but since I over did it Sat and Sun, yesterday didn’t feel like a FD. It felt like a continuation of the weekend. Although, I did FD.
    It’s crazy, I know and I can’t explain it.

lilymartin…… please forgive me but your posts got me to thinking about my adventures doing 5:2. Believe me when I say this, my NFD are crazy, all over, I don’t track, I over eat, I over do itand I don’t enjoy it for the most part. But, I still do my FD, three times a week like clock work.
    Although my NFD are my nemesis most weeks, FD have taught me so much not only about myself but taught me to have a different relationship with food. And, this is the big one…. I’ve still lost weight and I feel great!
    Couple big changes, I’ve noticed with food, I no longer graze, my sugar cravings are gone, I eat more veg and cut my soda/ fizzy drink down to 2 a day rather than 8 a day.
    Now on NFD, instead of the mindless eating of junk, chocolate, cookies, chips etc. I eat two good meals, two very full meals nothing in between these meals. My issues with NFD now are to just cut my portion sizes down.

My point is FD have many benefits above weight loss. It will help you control your NFD. Have you tried controlling NFD with an FD?
    The great thing about this WOL, is a few small changes help make the biggest contributions to your overall goal.
    Just food for thought…..

My coffee cup is almost empty which means I must be off. The new girl likes to be on time, so I guess that means, I probably should try and be there before her. Probably won’t happen but one must put an effort forth to at least try!

Day 17, Australia, nfd

I have missed the day after a fd feeling, the decreased appetite and feeling of satisfaction at what you have achieved that day, the willpower used. So I enjoyed that today. Another nfd tomorrow then probably a fd on Thursday, haven’t done them like that for a while, but didn’t feel like I could jump to what I was doing before.

Fuvvie I hope you got to the hip hop class for adults and that if you missed it you can organise to go next time. Sounds like heaps of fun! ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Day 17 St Louis, MO USA – NFD

Stay Strong everyone!

Day 17 – Canada – NFD

4th Fast day under my belt! Am sticking still to my same FD food, reliably just under 500 cals. The scale is still at my low from last week 144.6, I figured, but I’ve lost 3/4 inch from my waist and 1 inch from my hips and 1/2 an inch from my right thigh! Nothing from my left thigh though ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’m happy with that. I think I’m in a stickier weight zone for me, what I lost now will be a bit tougher to shift. Thursday is next FD.
    Bert1802 – I hope you get your new haircut soon!

Georgia/ USA/ DAY 17/nfd: I had a good fast day yesterday. I saved my 600 cals for a 500 cal dinner. Had my college roommate intown all weekend. He’s put on his 35+ years weight. I talked some about this wol with him, not sure if he’ll try it out but at least I shared. This wol isn’t for everyone I know, but I just wish he’d find a way to get his confidence back. Happy Monday everyone!

Second post
    Hi Lilymartin – didn’t do a big refit – started before In September by painting the kitchen doors. Then picked our new worktops but the guy we picked from couldn’t get a fitter within our timescale. At this stage we were leaving to go on a two month trip to Oz and NZ so we came home to a half finished job, which was quite depressing. After Christmas, we started all over again from a different supplier, and the new worktops/hob are now installed and it is just the cosmetic painting to do. Bring it on. Can’t wait till it’s finished.
    @ bert1802 your mention about your relationship with food is interesting. When I was travelling, we ate two meals a day, and didn’t graze. After 2 months I stayed the same weight with no FDs and despite a few deserts, a few glasses of wine etc. However, despite my resolve to keep this up on NFDs at home, I can’t get my head around the routine, and the grazing has got out of hand again, particularly sugary snacks, although Christmas got in the way. This week I resolved to leave sugar alone totally and track cals until I get back into the mindset. But as usual your advice is stellar! That is the direction I will try to follow. Thank you

Day 17|NFD|Toronto
    I will be focusing on staying “sane” on this and future NFDs. May start calling them CDs as in Controlled Day to keep restraint in mind.

Day 17: FAST DAY, AZ USA

This week I’m gearing up for a 4:3 my fast days being Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday with Sunday already in the books

I love reading your posts, I feel like I’m in an episode of the Crown … hehe! Am I the only one who looks at where people are from then read the posts in the appropriate accent?!

D17 Singapore NFD

Ah my bad! Managed to fall off the bandwagon with logging daily entries here! To sum up the past week has been pretty indulgent with 5 meals out with friends/family, but I did stick to my exercise regime and completed 2 fast days. I did another fast day on Monday (overshot to 650 cal because I was made to go to a tumour board meeting ad hoc where they were catering food for us and I didn’t want to look completely out of place with my 2 hardboiled eggs/be questioned by my consultant :S) but today was just a little over my TDEE. I’ve been having some pretty significant period cramps (i know, too much information!!!) and it’s giving my some weird cravings (for bread and the like, lots of it!).

Tomorrow is going to be a proper FD!!! Good luck to every one doing a FD tomorrow ๐Ÿ™‚

Day 17 USA (Illinois) NFD

Foggy day here, but it’s supposed to clear up in a couple hours. I go to exercise, give my bi-monthly pint of blood, then lunch with my Curves ladies at a $2.00 hamburger place. I probably over ate by some yesterday going out to a supper Choral Society meeting, but I know I cannot fast at all before giving blood.

A friend of mine just posted on Facebook that she’s been on a low carb high protein diet since August and has lost 40 pounds. I’ve done that South Beach/Atkins diet, lost weight, but then put it back on again once I reintroduced any carbs. Oh what we go through in our eating. I hope she keeps it off. She said she hopes to lose 40 more. I would not have thought she was 80 overweight.

Like Laddie said – stay strong, everyone!

Onward and downward!

day 17 – NSW Australia – NFD
    2 other nfds and a FD yesterday. Sorry for the multiple days. Going ok. Saturday was a bit of a blow out with dinner with friends but back on track. Adding an extra fast day this week and uping the walking too. I’ve intoduced walking meetings for two days a week a few lapso of the block. Team is happy to get outdoors but weather has been unbearably hot. Have a good week everyone.

3rd post
    Hi Debster – this is really too too weird!
    We had The SAME issue. One builder supposed to fit bench tops. Couldn’t supply what we wanted so he pulled the pin halfway through so we had to get another supplier.
    Second supplier was supposed to have bench tops installed by Christmas – had the family to my place in anticipation – but he has PROMISED they will be in by end of January and then the tiling and painting begin!

Day 17 – Canada – nfd

Dey 17 – SW WA USA – NFD

Great FD yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed the “Sausage Egg Roll in a Bowl” I made. So yummy! It was a recipe friends were sharing on Facebook. Truth is that’s where I frequently get new recipes.

Mamacat, I’m with you – the 1st thing I do when reading a post, is check from where the person is. Don’t know if I read it in the correct accent, but I like that idea. I think it’s interesting how we’re more the same than different even if we use a different turn of phrase. I can usually tell what somthing means by the context. Once in a while I need to look something up or ask.

We have another crazy weather system & school is closed again; #9 of the winter & it’s only mid January. Oh well, will take it as a gift.

Day 17: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD;
    AT, Pissupoosa, BrightonBelle and all others…hope you succeeded on the big-worldwide fast day yesterday. xx
    Great news (for me)! I did 36 hours on water-only finishing with porridge (etc) for breakfast this morning. I haven’t done that for AGES and AGES!
    I still haven’t the courage to look at my weight yet….only two good fast days this year so far…..maybe after one more….tomorrow? Is the plan.

Still day 17 2nd post

Ciren2 – good for you with a successful FD. Mine was also. Everyone you get under your belt is building your strength & can do spirit. You’re like the little engine that could. On the way up the hill he says “I think I can, I think I can.” Then going down, “I thought I could, I thought I could.” Soon you’ll be on the down hill stretch.

AnneMarilyn: Yes, I just have to learn to believe in myself again. If I can do a few more fast days, then I can and I CAN!

Day 16 update: Pacific NW USA, this is my 1st FD since last post, all NFD’s since then Fuvvie (inspiration explained below). Sorry that I am not catching up with everyone’s entries but I did read this page and find you all still very secure in mutual support! My PT has re-used the Eply procedure on me and it seems to be slowly rectifying my symptoms of vertigo. I can read/write for about 5 minutes at a time. I also had a visit with the doctor and she’s giving me homeopathics to go along with the PT.

Before I use up my 5 minutes I want to share my big news. My dream goal back in May was to be able to wear former clothes that I had steadfastly saved in my closet because I hoped-beyond-hope I would return to them someday. Since May, with 5:2, one-by-one the former clothes have been fitting. In particular, my dream visualization was to be able to wear my smallest size pair of jeans that I used to wear with a southwestern Native American made turquoise belt from my graduate school days in college. I PUT THEM ON YESTERDAY!! I still have a bit of muffin top left so I need to keep up my 5:2 till they are a little more comfortable but I feel like I can tell you I’m living my dream!

This post is to underscore my endorsement for our WOL. I have not been on the scale out of fear of becoming demoralized while I’ve had a little health set-back this month but I kept up LC/HF, didn’t let TDEE get too out of control, and knew as soon as I felt up to it I could return to our health affirming IF. I was so over joyed to see my visualization achieved that it sent me into a FD!

Now it’s Day 17 Fuvvie: continuing with another FD from yesterday and will go until 40-48 hours, but I just looked up and I’m dizzy from writing too long so I will sign off, get something to drink and check in with you all next when I can try this again – just want everyone to hear my advise:

“Don’t give up what you want most!”

Hi all UK Day 17 a Fd that wasn’t

Had a good fast day yesterday had coffee and water until I met a cousin for coffee after work – she bought a tray bake and cut it into 4 I said I was ok with just the coffee but she took her 1/2 and left the other half sitting there looking at me – I gave in but thought that is all I have had to eat so no harm done and I just had a yogurt when I got home.

So today I was going to have another fast day and it all started well. As I am not home until 9pm tonight I thought I would go out and have an omelette so don’t know if it was that that started the urge for something. I kept it in check until I began to feel stressed – felt like you did PamelaV the other day. We just have had a run of money going out in a steady stream, car insurance, road tax not only for our cars but the youngest boys as well. One needed work done on his car to pass his MOT (fitness test for cars) as well as insurance – so we are helping them out. Unfortunately the money tree is not producing enough to keep up with demand at the moment. Hate when it all comes at once just when you are trying to put funds together. Typical! Oh well that is my rant over and I have just eaten a days worth of calories in about 15 mins! lol. I have to go and count my blessings and get things into perspective.

@fuvvie – there has been a few 1940’s dramas on TV recently that has had jive/lindy hop dancing and I love watching it – that I would love to give a go if there was a class handy.
    You are obviously a very patient person Fuvvie lol – I looked down the list of people who have not posted for a while and there are some names I am quite surprised at. But this is a challenge after all and while you can give some a by ball at not posting everyday I think if they haven’t posted for over a week, without giving a heads up, if it was me I would drop them from my list but I am not as patient as you ๐Ÿ™‚

@lilymartin – I did understand correctly that you are not going to do a fd until you get your NFds sorted? I agree with Bert surely doing fast days is what will help get your NFds under control.

@pamie and Lany36 you have both recommended the same Revive cafe. Then we have Debster and Lilymartin doing the same thing with their kitchens each on the other side of the world – talk about twilight zone!

@Ciren – well done for hanging in there!

@Backtothefuture – I remember you mentioned that turquoise belt as one of your goals – it was one of our visualisation exercises. WOW well done you for keeping it in mind and working towards it despite the set backs. An inspiration to us all.

@annemarilyn – love that we are all little engines puffing along – I think I can, I know I can! made me smile.

Day 17, Gozo, Malta, NFD

I ate a slice of Christmas log and a slice of cake this evening. My husband finished the Christmas log thank goodness. Not much over TDEE as I ate sensible otherwise. This morning was 0.6 kilos less than yesterday after fast day of around 800 calories.

Good evening/night everyone. Tomorrow is another day.

Day 17/ Midwest USA/ NFD

Thank you all for your suggestions; they really help me stay on track (or at least near the tracks when I stray!)

Feeling miserable, no weight loss 2 weeks in. I know I have to stick with it but really lacking the motivation today. Hope all you guys are doing better
    ๐Ÿ™‚

Day 18 Sunshine Coast Qld Australia NFD 106.9 kgs: This is like pulling teeth.

Happy birthday, elsacotton. May you have a wonderful day.

Well done Ciren2. Lovely to see the old spirit returning. And no matter what the scales say, you are a happier person achieving your FDs and that matters most of all. You don’t know what the weight is but the happiness is shining through.

I have to go and meet the boys so their mother can go to work. She had to take them to school this morning for some familiarisation thing and I meet them at 8am. Couldn’t go to hip hop last night as she got home from work too late. Will start next week.

day 17 Sweden NFD

Yesterday was FD. Today I had a little bit too much to eat in the afternoon, but I did not eat much for breakfast or lunch (450 calories for both meals). I think that I’ve eaten around 1400 calories – I’m not completely sure because I had dinner with friends, where I ate only a very small portion since I wasn’t really hungry and wanted to keep below my TDEE. I also walked 11 km today so 1400 calories has to be OK!

Tomorrow I will do my best to do another sensible NFD and also hit the gym, and then on thursday it’s time for another FD.

Everyone else who is still struggling like me, not seeing much results yet – let’s stick to the plan for the full January – let’s not give up before February (atleast)!!

Love and good luck to everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi UpTipp, I can recognise those feelings. It will come. Just keep with the programme and things will turn around. It is a slow process but even slower if you give up. Take your measurements. They may surprise you. Are you being true to the plan or are you thinking you can get away with this and that? That’s what happens to me when I stall. I’ve had to completely change my thinking and it’s disappointing that the weight isn’t just falling off again, but there it is. You may be having to wait for the whoosh effect. Big hugs.

Day 17 – Cumbria UK – FD (B2B)

After a successful FD yesterday I woke up this morning and did not feel hungry until mid afternoon, but I distracted myself with a pedicure and a cup of tea. Went to see La La Land with a group of friends at 5.20pm and managed not to eat until after – made pasta with crab sauce for OH and I had a small serving with courgetti instead so well below 400cals again!

Well done everyone who managed to get through yesterday and to those who struggled – Remember โ€œI cannot change yesterday, but I can change todayโ€

Great will power @bert1802 for refusing the chocolate – great feeling!

@lilymartin – I agree with Bert in that FD have many benefits above weight loss. It might help you control your NFD – give it a go and see if you can get going again – we are all here supporting and there will always be a fast buddy to hold your hand
    @songbirdme – we had a foggy day here too with a bit of a drizzle every now and then and it stayed all day!!!!!!!
    @ciren2 – well done on that 36hr water fast and I loved @annemarilyn encouragement
    @back2thefuture – Commiserations re your BPPV – I also suffer with this but nowhere as severe as yours, I get about 1 or 2 episodes a year but it settles relatively quickly. I have not required the EPLY procedure – I’m told it is horrible, poor you. I’m holding on firmly to your hand with your B2B FDs – I had around 300cal each day and I’m now planning on continuing with tea/water only until tomorrow lunchtime too.
    @uptipp – don’t get disheartened – are you drinking plenty of water? are staying below your TDEE on your NFD? sometimes reducing your unrefined carbohydrate intake and increasing healthy fats, protein and vegetables on your NFDs can make a real difference – stay strong

Hope you had a fab birthday @elsacotton

I’m off to have a cup of tea and then early to bed I think so I can stay away from temptations!!!!!!!!

Day 16- Colorado, USA — completed a fantastic FD!
    Day 16- Colorado, USA — NFD, but carefully tracking calories in Lose It app.

Lisa.Alma– I have also had great improvement in IBS symptoms on intermittent fasting!
    I actually have Crohn’s Disease which effects the gut & leads to very painful intestines (& other uncomfortable, awkward & icky side-effects.)

Any time I’m on a FD, I call it my Rest/ Relax/ Recharge Day. It gives my entire gut a “time out” period to just chill out & not have to work on digestion. I ALWAYS feel better taking that FD break from food.

And then just like you, Fri/Sat/Sunday are my arch nemesis. Too much eating (especially restaurants!) over those 3 days. I need to map out an effective strategy *that fits my life* but also doesn’t allow the weekends to sabotage my efforts.

Jan17/Surrey/FD

Today I had an ok FD, I had my meal and a Lindtt mini egg came to 531. Felt abit guilty after eating the mini egg.. but hey ho I think I needed something sugary. My third FD will be tomorrow. I’m loving the routine during the week I just need to be super careful on weekends! The less you eat, the more you lose is what I have to say!

Good night all x

Day 18 Sydney NFD

Weight steady this morning which is great after a mindful NFD yesterday. It is so hot here at the moment (was 32 degrees at 6 am this morning) that I’m not particularly hungry which is a good thing.

Have a good day everyone.

2nd post of the day. Did a 4 mile walk with my 3 year old in the stroller earlier today and now I could eat my pet cat if I had the energy to blanch and boil him. Im saving my 500 for dinner time as I’ll have some spaghetti squash and sauce with a side salad. Dinner time is important for me to sit with my kids and I want them to see me eating along with them. They don’t know I’m fasting because I don’t want them to think they can live being unhealthy then think there’s easy outs. I always cook a healthy dinner for them and I need to make sure they continue to learn about healthy options. Why does parenting have to be so challenging?!

Day 17 / Sweden / NFD

Day 17 | NFD | Bucks UK

Day 18 – Perth, W.Aust – NFD – weigh in day – 74.1 kg, ~163lbs

Wow, 3 kilos down already, but more importantly is the feeling of increased energy and an improved mood. Yesterdays FD was a bit tough, but I got through okay in the end, managed to get that bike ride in later in the day and then when I got the hungries again in the evening I took the dog for a short walk, was still a little hungry but as it was after 9pm, there was to be no eating in any case.

@norrieb yes it does feel a little wrong on the NFD, like you’re cheating, but not, still focussed on good healthy food though, which over time gets easier, you start to crave less the things that are the problem and look forward to the really good stuff and savour it.

Well, it’s off to an Xtend Barre class for me now, so have a wonderful day everyone and be kind to yourself.

Still Day 17: Pacific NW USA, still going with this b2b FD,

Thanks for the props, @at, I am dealing with the Epley vertigo therapy a little better this go round because I know what to expect. The hardest part is having to sleep sitting up for a few days. Which is crazy, take dizzy and add sleep deprivation! Thanks for your strong hand to help!

I’m looking forward to having a 430 cal salad tonight so I don’t get on the wrong side of my progress… and I’m gradually reading posts so I can keep up in smaller increments.

Coda – thanks for starting our 5:2 challenge out early on with those visualization exercises, they sure seem to have helped me! It was such a great addition to all the other support we gave each other!

If anyone wants to add strength to your 5:2 goals try adding some more details in your mind’s eye about what achieving your goal will look like, feel like, sound like, smell like. I used the memory of a healthy, light, fun time of my life and how I could have that in my life again. I made that into a concrete visualization of what it would feel like, what I would wear, what it would look like, including accessories and it never left me because it was so real. And what do you know, I was able to re-experienced all those healthy body feelings in actuality yesterday! Today I feel like I can relax and enjoy my accomplishment without fear that my present little perception problems will get in the way of my continued progress and eventual maintenance! Try it yourself!

Day 18 FD Sunny West Australia
    @ bert @coda @ At and any I may have missed. I think I gave the wrong impression! I most certainly DO do the FDs and try to do at least 2 per week and keep to under 500 calories.
    But I just choose days that suit rather than specific days.
    The FDs are really what help me to keep the NFDs under control.

It was after reading some others’ posts and going back over some of my own that I would see a ‘ FD morphed into a NFD’ or similar, meaning we had intended to do a FD but in reality we had not fasted.
    My contention is that if that happens once or twice a week over a few weeks then I actually have NOT fasted as planned.
    If I do not do at least one fast a week and if I am eating just normally for 7 days a week and I do this for a few weeks in a row, then I am not actually doing 5:2 as a way of life.
    Bert does her FDs 2 or 3 times EVERY week no matter what happens on NFDs so this is IF.
    If my 2 FDs each week during the festive season became NFDs, there is the possibility that for 3 weeks I would NOT have fasted at all.
    Hence I could not say 5:2 had yet become a WOL.
    I do like 5:2 for all the other benefits and not just weight loss.
    However if this is to be a way of life then I have to be doing FDs next week, next month, next year, in 10 years time etc. Otherwise it is NOT a WOL but just something I do from time to time.๐Ÿ™‚

Day 17 – Canada – NFD

Day 17. Quebec. FD

Today was a good and easy FD. I am very happy for that.
    My next one will be on Thursday.
    I noticed that going to bed earlier is helping me because If I stay up untill 1-2 am, it is normal to become hungry.

Thank you all my 5:2 partners around this planet, I really enjoy reading your posts.

Hoping you all have a great day x

Day 17 USA Hawaii NFD
    16:8

Day 18 – Melbourne – FD: going ok so far

Big Congrats to @back2thefuture and @ciren2 for achievements – it really can help the rest of us hang in there through ups and downs, hearing your experiences and knowing that we can achieve goals and rediscover motivation that might temporarily wander off into the fog.

@august2024 – I like that idea – ‘CDs’ rather than NFDs. I will be borrowing that one to see if it shifts my mindset.

2nd post – Perth, W.Aust

@lilymartin, great post about 5:2 WOL. I have previously “trialled” doing 5:2 for a few weeks here and there to see how my body responded, but it was definitely not done as a WOL at that time. From that I reviewed how I was feeling, whether I thought it was something I could commit to for the long term and how the research stacked up. So when I joined this challenge it was with a strong goal of making 5:2 a WOL. I have chosen 2 days per week that suit me to do 500cal fast and my family and friends are supportive.

I have previously tracked my calories on Myfitnesspal for a solid month just eating my usual, and boy was that an eye opener. It gave me a good idea of what I was consuming though and now I can judge whether my calorie intact is excessive or not most of the time, so I don’t actually count my calories on NFD.

I also look at the 500cal days as challenges – how much food can I eat for 100cal, 200cal, etc, what can I swap around to get more bang for my buck so to speak. I’m not one for a single meal a day, so saving up for a 500cal meal just doesn’t work for me, but of course that may be easier for some people.

Turning it into a challenge also gets my creative mind going and brings out the competitive streak in me (a competition I have with my brain and emotions) and it has less of a negative connotation for me – I’m doing something positive by rising to the challenge and reinforcing the fact that food is not my enemy, it nourishes me and gives me the strength I need to live a full, healthy, happy life.

Stay strong everyone and be kind to yourself.

Day 17 California.

Question: Dr Fung says that your metabolism will slow down on a low calorie diet, but speed up when you are fasting Isn’t the 500 cal fast like a low calorie diet?

I am having a good fast day today, but eating 500 calories doesn’t really feel like a fast when I am eating a large amount of vegetables. I may have gone up to 600 though, with some salmon. Fasting has helped me regain my taste for delicious vegetables. I lose that when I eat many grains and processed foods.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 2,440 total)

You must be logged in to reply.