31 Day January 2017 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
31 Day January 2017 Challenge

This topic contains 2,437 replies, has 150 voices, and was last updated by  Fuvvie 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,501 through 1,550 (of 2,440 total)

• Day 18 Wailkato NZ NFD
    Actually I had every intention of making today a FD but fell by the wayside at morning tea time. Rather than beat myself up about it I will definitely make tomorrow a FD.
    I love reading the posts and find them a great help.

Day 18 – Brisbane, Australia – NFD

Just had an awesome lunch of quinoa, lime juice, natural greek yoghurt, cherry tomatoes and chicken… only just started experimenting with quinoa in the last couple of days, I think I have a new go-to lunch there already, so yummy ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope everyone is doing well.

Day 17, Oceanside, CA, NFD

Beautiful 3 mile beachwalk, 18 holes golf, Stunning Sunset, Light Dinner w/wine.
    Tomorrow FD and more of the same. Life is good.

Day 18 – Auckland, New Zealand – FD

A very busy day at work, so the fast day has gone well. Staving off an urge to snack now (evening) with nectarine tea….

I hope you’re all doing well. You can do it!

Day 17, Canada, NFD

Lost my way today with a planned FD, so will get back on track tomorrow.

B2TF loved hearing about you meeting your visualized goal, congrats!

August, I like the CD terminology, I think that will help me to use that term too.

Day 18 – Tokyo Japan – NFD – 79.2 kg

When my weight stays below 80kg I feel like I’ve reached a goal. I don’t think I was ever over 80kg in college. (some decades ago)

@peli I kind of had the same thoughts that eating 500 kc on fast days makes it into just calorie restriction. However, people are typically are still going 16+ hours without eating because most save their calories to give them a more satisfying meal. I think Dr. Fung point is more along the lines of people that just eat all the time even if it is small amounts.

Personally I don’t eat on fast days. When I break my fast I typically eat a small amount even though I’m not hungry. Then I generally become very hungry in less than an hour and then I eat. I’m afraid that if I tried to eat a small meal on a fast day it would just make me hungry! So for me it is just easier not to eat.

Day 18. Sussex, U.K.
    NFD.

Day 18, India. NFD

Day 18 – Staffordshire UK-nfd

Funny little rollercoaster this WOL. Today the scales have been kind and I feel optimistic and positive. Hopefully I’ll remember this on a day they are not so kind.

Day 18 NZ NFD
    I did a 16:8 today but certainly ate my TDEE in the 8eating hours.
    I plan to do my second fast tomorrow then I have 3 NFDs of my holiday left before we head home and I get these pesky NFD under control!!!
    I spent years counting cals with MFP and I grew to loathe it but I have to admit that I was either at or under my goal weight all that time.
    I keep reading about the 3-5kg losses people have made and feel so irritated with myself that after fpur months I still haven’t got rid of that same amount of my own weight…which would put me back to where I used to be and am fully comfortable. Although I have lost several kilos I suspect but will have to wait until next week to check the scales at home.
    Roll on Monday and some controlled normal eating days.

Day 18, FD, New Zealand. Funny thing happened this morning. I weighed myself and no loss after b2b FDs. I thought that’s a bit disappointing but these things take time. Then I went to get dressed for work and pulled on some trousers that I haven’t worn since mid Dec, so after I’d lost about 5kg, and they were loose then. But this morning they were like a sack. There was no way i could leave the house in them. It would have looked like I was wearing clown pants! And I was a bit annoyed as I looked in the mirror that my outfit wasn’t working. And then it clicked. The scales weren’t moving but the fat was. Honestly, it took me about 3 minutes to realise that the trouser situation was a good thing and the exact result I’m after. Seeing no change on the scales earlier had been the only thing I was focussed on.

Hi all uk day 18 CD (controlled day)

It’s amazing how just a tweak can make a difference to the mind. I never liked the term ‘feast day’ some used. I preferred nfd that is until August2024 suggested something better. Yes much prefer that. It says what it will be, under control. Excellent!

Day 18 Belfast NFD 16:8
    Good morning everyone. Feeling positive today after successful NFD yesterday. Because I was within my TDEE, I couldn’t resist two shortbread biscuits yesterday. Aahhh, that sugar monster!

@elsacotton hope you had a lovely birthday๐Ÿ™‚
    @ciren2 congratulations on your fast. If you can do that you have to be able to say… I DEFINITELY can!
    @back2thefuture /LEW WOW to those jeans/trousers moment. Isn’t that what it is all about? My scales are going down but my waist measurement doesn’t seem to have changed, which is annoying. However, I shall take heart from your posts.
    Have a good day everyone

Day 18 Cornwall UK nfd

Feeling much more positive! Thank you to all who use this thread it is inspiring to see everyone’s 5.2 daily journeys, thet really do help!x

Had a really good fast day yesterday kept under 500cals with bone broth at about 1pm then an omelette with salad at 7pm, plenty of mineral water.

Today we’re off on a long bike ride on a trail on the north coast, off road and beautiful scenery. Ill put my tracker on to see how far we travel! Planning to stay ON my bike today!!

Oh yes down 1lb on scales today 144.3 going in the right direction at last! Just want to be under 140lbs, my final target – so near!!

Happy fasting, stay strong!

Colorado, USA

Day 16– Monday– had a fantastic FD. Went surprisingly smooth. Hot tea & fizzy water to the rescue!
    Day 17– Tuesday– NFD. Out to dinner with DH. Red wine pushed me a touch over TDEE. Still worth it!
    Day 18– Wednesday– NFD. Plan to skip breakfast as usual & do 16:8, staying below TDEE.
    Day 19– Thursday– FD planned as normal.
    Day 20– Friday– may shoot for a b2b second FD. Been quite a while since I’ve done that.

UK day 18 NFD Having to swap days this week, will fast Thursday but looking to get a couple of good NFDs in .

Rocy65 – I’m at a very similar weight- I haven’t been 9 st something since before my youngest was born and he’s 19! Hovering at 142/143 …..just a few pounds to go

Ciren2 – good to see you back x

Day 18– Colorado, USA– NFD

LEW– Great news on the saggy, baggy pants! Hope the extra wardrobe changes required didn’t make you late for work. But if it did, still worth it!! Exciting to have tangible results!

B2tF– Hope that vertigo gets back under control soon. That can be rough.
    Congrats on reaching your goal of jeans & turquoise belt! That belt sounds beautiful & special. And, you did it, you made it happen!!

August– I like how you reframe the NFD into Controlled Day. I’m stealing that for my brain. Especially helpful for my weekends.

My DH sometimes gives me a hard time about intermittent fasting, “You can’t just starve yourself all the time.” I try to explain the research & benefits, but he still grumbles. By using different words & reframing FD, he understands better. With my Crohn’s there are times my gut/ intestines just need a break or “time out” so I tell my DH on FD “I’m giving my system a rest from digesting.”

So Fast Days = Rest, Relax & Recharge days.
    And now NFD = Controlled Days. Thanks for the tip!

peli & dykask & others interested… Here’s an excellent article from Dr. Jason Fung on the difference between intermittent fasting vs. continuous calorie restriction.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/

When Dr.Mosley came up with the 5:2, he selected 500/600 calories for FD because he felt that would lead to better compliance. He wanted us to have a good chance at success & he felt having a few calories to look forward to would help the most people, without impairing the diet results. And it works!

But those 500 cals are *not* required. I prefer to get my calories as close to zero on FD as I can. I actually like liquid-only FD 2 days each week (see my post above about Fast Days = Rest, Relax & Recharge days for me.)
    Then on the weekends, my food intake definitely goes up & I enjoy date-night out at a restaurant with red wine. So my body never senses a famine, always kept guessing & no metabolism slow-down.

DAY 18 – BUCKS UK – FD

@happymargo – Thanks … actually I read a lot of Dr. Fung’s blogs. When I first ran across his blogs I thought he was crazy. However I was just ignorant. The results from fasting rock.

Personally I don’t think it matters too much if people eat the 1/4 calories. I’m just better off not eating anything when I fast. Compliance is probably more important than the slight slowdown that 500 calories might cause. However I think I do eat those extra calories anyway, I just do it on the next NFD.

Day 18, Australia NFD

Day 18 Australia FD

Day 18. – St Louis, MO USA-FD

Still at our corporate office in an all day meeting today and then flying home this evening. It’s going to be tricky doing a FD today as we will all eat together…but I’m going to figure out a way to excuse myself from lunch.

I had an awesome dinner last night with coworkers and my first glass of wine of the new year – lovely. Today though I feel bloated and sluggish. I miss that strong, alert feeling I get from a solid FD.

Stay Strong everyone!

Day 18 – Canada – FD

Day 18- NFD AZ, USA

Days 17 & 18 NFD Surrey, UK

Back still a problem so am off the FDs this week. Hopefully will be ok to do one on Saturday. I’m really missing the feeling and I NEVER thought I would say that!!

Georgia/USA/Day 18/NFD: Looking forward to a good day of conscious eating. I still watch my calories on NFD’s but I don’t over think it. I enjoy eating eating, and try not to over do it. Well, most times. Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Woops. I keep forgetting to post. ๐Ÿ™
    But I’ve been continuing to fast twice per week.

Day 12 – FD
    Day 13 – NFD
    Day 14 – NFD
    Day 15 – NFD
    Day 16 – NFD
    Day 17 – FD
    Day 18 (today) – NFD – Weighed in this morning and I’m 7.4 lbs down since New Year’s Day! Super happy with that!

Day 19 FD Singapore

Thought I had everything well planned today but unfortunately still went over my 500cal, finishing the day at 690… it’s not disastrous by any means but I just really want to do a proper fast day!

Just want to look back and see where I went wrong…
    11am: soya latte (110)
    1.30pm: 2 dry fried eggs (140), one peanut butter protein bar (220)
    7pm: plain block of tofu (110) – not planned, 150g green beans steamed (45), a few tiny bites of my OH’s chilli stingray (25), satchet of low sodium miso soup (34)

I think the main issue here might be the protein bar (too dense!) I thought that it would do a good job of keeping me full – which it did, but then when I got home I really wanted to sit down with my OH and have something, however small it might be… it would have been wiser to safe those calories for dinner ๐Ÿ™

Also that soya latte! Honestly I’ve gotten into a habit of having it everyday… I blame it on the cold environement that I now in – perhaps I should think of just having some no-calorie hot tea?

Anyway, what’s been done has been done, will have to live with the consequences! I will eat mindfully tmr and track everything.

Update on the DH- he’s down 16lbs since Jan 3 doing a 5:2 and sometimes 16:8. He has been well fed for years and is finally ready to make this a WOL. I had him jump on board with me and now he’s researching and sending me recipes. Fingers crossed he sticks with it.

Thanks @happymargo – I had a reply to @peli and @dykask ready to go but your link said it better regarding low calorie and fasting.

It is so much easier @mamacat when your OH is on board. I have got my OH to fast on Mondays with me – only I think men seem to loose so much easier.

@lany36 – I so know where you are coming from! It has taken me like forever to drop the lbs someone else has taken a few months. I have to remind myself everyone’s journey is different and not a race. This is forever so I keep on keeping on.

@coda- I agree! and I make sure we stay on the same days because over my dead body am I cooking for him and three kids on my fast days. The kids are happy with chicken breast and Mac n cheese. Him, not so much haha!!

I don’t think I have said to our Oz members, our number one son is heading to Sydney early next month. He has had a count down on his phone since he booked it last year so can tell us to the very second until he leaves. You would think he was looking forward to it or something lol! He is staying with an school friend he has known since he was 4 years old. Believe his friend lives in Manly with his wife and daughter. At the moment my son is in a bit of a rut, he has a job which he likes but his long term relationship broke down a couple of years ago and while they have remained friends he is back living with Mum & Dad which is hard to adjust to (for both parties lol). But while they don’t seem to want to get back together – well he would – neither party has moved on so my son, I think is still living in hope. To tell the truth I am hoping this trip will open up new horizons for him.

@happy Mango. So the body still thinks it’s fasting if one eats 500 cal? I’ve just been doing this for two weeks. I did 3 fast days with only liquid, but one with about 500 cal. I like that flexibility but I want to make sure my body will still count it as fasting if I’m eating a little.

Day 18 Canada NFD

Day 18/ Midwest USA/ NFD

Let’s keep holding hands until Feb…and even beyond that date!

Day 18 USA (Illinois) NFD (CD as is being said!)

Feeling fit and trim today – holding my maintenance 160# and looking forward to a pretty busy day. I usually do 2 meals on Wednesdays when I am in town all day teaching piano lessons, at the gym, and a little shopping. I will have my mid-day apple while in the car.

LEW – I LOVE story of too-big clothes you are sharing! I’ve been there so much too knowing I could not go out of the house in certain pants especially. Even if the scale does not move, the fat is certainly abating! Yeah!

That puts me to a question I asked some months ago. Are any of you annoyed by the wrinkly skin that has appeared where fat used to be? My mid-section looks just awful. A friend asked if I was going to get a new bikini for the summer. I said very likely not, not for public wear anyway, due to my sagging skin! I guess at 68 I am due to experience wrinkles. But, they are a pain.

Onward and downward!

Day 18 / Canada / NFD

I just wrote a long post which was lost to ether as somehow the website logged me out. V. frustrating.
    Have to rush now but briefly –
    @ciren2 – wonderful post!
    @quebecoise – me too early bed & bath first helps!
    @ Peli – more veg for me, too, and this is big health bonus
    @lew – fantastic pants story!!!
    @rocy65 – coastal bike ride sounds amazing
    @kmeng – you were so close! those protein bars are tricky
    @mamacat – awesome for DH!

Day 18 – SW WA USA – NFD (or CD)

Planning to make it a 16:8 on this 1st day back to school since a week ago Tuesday. All the rain last night, melted so much ice and snow. We can see the streets again. Now flood warning.

Love you pant story LEW. Bert is so right that the scales lie – they definitely don’t tell the whole story.

Keep strong around the world!

Day 18 Edinburgh NFD

Hi everyone, this is my first day, I am looking forward to keeping accountable.
    Have a goal to lose 3st, regain health and fitness. I am looking to reduce problems associated with polycycstIc ovaries , Also having fertility treatment in Nov 17 so counting down to then!
    Love food, love eating, working in creating a lot more veggie meals/days and eating lean meat occasionally.

Don’t want to be a slave to scales, but create a health lifestyle for life enjoying great vibrant food and fun exercise & activity!

Time to return to the gym, hill walking, swimming, classes etc on 3x days per week x

Day 18, NYC, FD —

I find it much harder to fast in winter than in summer. I think my body expect heartier fare.

Tallula, good luck with the PCOS. I imagine that fasting helps; certainly weight loss does. I wish you the best of luck. I went through significant infertility treatments way back in the 1990s, with two sons – now in their 20s – as a result (endometriosis, not PCOS). As you can imagine, this is the best time to get your body ready for treatments and pregnancy. Be good to yourself.

Peli– yes, absolutely!
    If you follow the plan as Mosley lays it out, 2 days of fasting per week (allowing 500 or 600 calories) it works quite well.

He especially recommends on FD if you like to eat your 1/4 calories to choose proteins, veggies & healthy fats. This gives you the most nutritional bang for your limited calories. And holds hunger at bay longer.

Also, by avoiding carbs/ sugars on FD, you will keep both your insulin surge & blood sugar low. This gives your body the best opportunity to release fat. Win-win!

Day 18, Gloucestershire, UK: Could this be ANOTHER FAST-DAY?
    So far so good, water-only since yesterday tea-time…planning to make it ’til tomorrow breakfast(36 hours).
    Maybe….just MAYBE, (if successful) then I will risk looking at the scales once more. I haven’t done so for quite awhile because I recently went FIFTEEN days without a successful fast day, of course I put on weight, so I don’t want to find I’m still up, which will shatter my confidence, so slowly and painfully built up after three fast days since day 14.

2nd post

A fabulous bike ride 37k! The weather was chilly 8ยฐ but no wind and the sun was shinning, just glorious and felt so good!! The wooded river valley was so still, no one on that stretch; then to the sea which was a beautiful Turqoise blue, the sand golden and the sky blue what more could you want!! And tonight a fabulous golden sunset!! So lucky!

Foodwise well probably just a smidgen over tdee but worth every mouthful!!

Tomorrow will be a fast day.

Brightenbelle – just seems so hard to lose these last few lbs! Like you I’ve not been in the 9st range since before the children were born, many moons ago!! But we will get to our goals soon!

Songbirdme – oh the wrinkley skin, seems to have crept up on me and I really notice it since lossing nearly 3stone!! Despite all the exercises! So deff no bikini for me! I’m also 68!

Good luck everyone!

Days 16, 17, 18 Ireland NFD
    A couple of these days started as FD but fell by the wayside.
    However have done 2 hilly trail runs b2b yesterday and today about an hour each & fasting just doesn’t work when I do runs this length.
    Plan a FD tomorrow.
    Also plan to write down & record what I eat each day as a way of being accountable
    Had a quick weigh in on tues am and was exactly he same weight as when started.
    Bye for now

Aussie Day’s 18-19 Waking up at 1 am because of the heat then spending ages at the Vet’s (broken nail)I missed yesterday So a FD for me I find sticking to 2 FD’s a week is what works for me.Keep going everyone.

Day 18 / Sweden / FD
    FD going well. A colleague has been so impressed with my 9 kg loss so I sent her the link for this site. I hope it helps her.
    Now the challenge for the next few NFD is to keep to my TDEE. Recording everything on MFP helps.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Day 18 | FD | Bucks UK

Day 18 Surrey UK FD which then turned into a nfd…computer is going in the bin and I am going to get a new one. Got on the scale this morning and down just under a kilogram. Very surprised. Love the suggestion of Control Day, perhaps we should all adopt it? At any rate, l will think of it in that way in the future…good health to all!

Day 18 Ireland NFD
    @fuvie and @at thanks for your comments and to everyone on here for their support. There are people around me who don’t understand the concept and quite frankly aren’t open to it, so for my weigh in on Tuesday felt a bit like an idea told u so also I’m under crazy pressure in work so things feel a bit overwhelming. I’m actually eating under my tdee on NFDs kind of mixing fasting with 16/8 so I never hit my full kcals. Drinking water and chewing sugar free gum, and tea with no milk/sugar. I know it will work, I’m trying to be patient. I feel lucky to be able to reach across the world to you all and share my stories and listen to yours thank you!!!

Viewing 50 posts - 1,501 through 1,550 (of 2,440 total)

You must be logged in to reply.