31 Day January 2017 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
31 Day January 2017 Challenge

This topic contains 2,437 replies, has 150 voices, and was last updated by  Fuvvie 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 2,440 total)

• Day 16, Canada,FD

A new week😊 hurray, still going strong. Hoping to do a B2B today and tomorrow. Anyone want to join me?

London |Day 16 | FD

Thanks to the collective strength, I’m fasting today! I’ll try and stretch it to a 36h if possible, but not going to push my self too hard. If I feel like a snack later, I have bite-sized raw veg in the fridge ready to go.

@southcroydonkate – your back sounds painful! Take it it easy and don’t be too hard on your self about not being able to fast until you feel better – it’s the right decision, some times you have to let your body recover.
    Similar thing happened to me just over a year ago and since then, my back has been a little fragile – so let it heal and rest up.
    You’ll be back on 5:2 WOL in no time 🙂

Hope my fellow fasters are going strong. Thinking of you all x

Okay, deep breath: first, check-in:

Day 16: NFD.

yesterday was FD, but I find that some FDs are easy, some are hard. because I was in such a funk on Friday, Friday and Saturday were hard even though they were NFD, and they were actually a bit blurry, but I did stay within a stone’s throw up and down on my TDEE. Yay me! Then, Sunday, feeling so buoyed by your fantastic support, I decided to do a FD.

Sunday’s FD was a lot harder (because scale still said “up” Sunday morning) but did that FD half-assed, which is better than a complete fail, right? So instead of the goal of 500 I did 800 calories (give or take). Which I’ve decided is okay: getting something done okay is better than demanding perfection of myself.

And this morning, the scale said something much more cheerful. Deep exhale.

Here is my full-throated thanks to all of you.

@coda, your helpful, thoughtful and kind response: thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    @walden410: likewise. Your concern for me shines through. Thank you.
    @ciren2: great suggestions and such care and thought put into your response. Merci.
    @happymargo, @fuvvie,@BiddieV, @debster251, @goldensun, @bert1802, @pamie, @jarbia (feminine wiles… you and I have a lot in common!!)@AT, @blueninjamum — all, thank you more than I can express. I may have missed someone in this list. If so, know that I have read (and continue to read) all posts, and just may have skipped someone by accident. But all of your encouragement is literally priceless.

and @bert1802, your post from Jan 14 is just generally wonderful. Your take on all this is both funny and insightful. Keeps us all in the Good Fight. thank you.

And I actually don’t know where I got the idea that this was only for UK/Down Under people… clearly the world has moved on from my notions of borders! Like Doctors Without Borders, we are the 5-2ers Without Borders. Yay us!

I’m thinking I will:

Keep Riding.
    Stop Weighing every day.
    Keep Coming to this Forum.
    Have Faith in Myself.
    Know that a pound a week is plenty.
    Hang in There and Keep Working This WOL.

Muchas gracias, mi amigos. et amigas. Everyone.

Day 16|FD|Toronto

Also @lilymartin! and @fuvvie: both of you, thanks for pointing out that the IF is actually more than “merely” (ha!) losing weight — it’s very much about our overall health. That long list of what we can expect when we give our bodies a break from grazing and digesting — in fact when we stress our bodies ever so slightly by fasting — we are doing ourselves a favor physically (all the benefits you listed) AND changing my relationship to my hunger and my response to food. It’s amazing, really, how much less panic-y I feel when I get hungry, even intensely hungry. I can still, most of the time, think and choose. Before, I really catastrophized my hunger. Now, I tend to say, there there. There there little hunger. It’s not dangerous yet… you can take it. Get busy, and stay strong.

I don’t know what I would do without this site and all of you. Humanity is a great thing sometimes.

Day 16: Gloucestershire, UK, Fast-day….yay!!
    Joining hands with all Day-16 fasters, Pissupoosa, Lou Belles, AT, Bert1802,Fuvvie, brightonbelle, AnneMayrilyn and many others around the world..let’s all STAY STRONG TOGETHER.
    PamelaV: I’m so heartened that you are happy today and that you have A PLAN! Big Hug from me. xx

Day 16 SW WA USA FD

Yes a FD with many across the globe!

blueninjamum – WOL is way of life. All the acronyms can be confusing. Plus the different vocabulary from different parts of the world. We’re getting words expanded.

PamelaV – so glad you are encouraged. We have a wonderful group of supportive folks on this forum.

My challenge on this MLKJr. Day (so no school) is to patiently & persistently work on an online application for a part-time evening adult ESL position with a local college. I’ve put in several hours on it already and am finding their program quite frustrating as it automatically populated information incorrectly plus the “save” button works intermittently… Anyway, onward & downward with acceptable beverages at the ready & inspirational music compliments of Pandora on my computer.

Have a great FD or NFD around this globe!

Day 16 – this is actually only my 8th day. I did a water fast for two days but woke up really hungry at night last night and ate an apple and a piece of dark chocolate.

I think I will do a NFD today.

@laddie10. Thank you for your helpfulness. Do you think you will lose weight faster on the ketogenic diet or are you doing it mainly to reduce sugar cravings? I remember doing a ketogenic diet about 30 years ago. It probably worked in the short term, as many diets have, but I have been a lifelong yo yo dieter. I’m hoping the intermitent fasting be doable for me in the longer term.

Day 16 Portugal FD

A hard fast day. I felt really tired by 4pm and had a headache. I couldn’t wait for dinner. Homemade veg soup and black bean veggie burger, with just half a bun. i hope it has come in around the 500 calories. Feeling satisfied.

I hope to try another FD tomorrow.

Day 16 : Cheshire, UK : NFD

Actually I’m not sure whether it would be considered a fast day. I went 23 hrs and 15mins before I ate. My meal was just under my TDEE.

I’m quite pleased with myself because I calculated the calories on my Fitness Pal. Usually, I hate counting calories but my carb intake has been erratic that I really need to count them otherwise I will continue to stand still or just gain. I seem to be gaining 2lbs then losing from week to week.

@peli – I am hoping the Ketogenic diet will help with both weight loss and a reduction in sweet cravings which is the killer for me (candy!!!). I am currently focused on dropping another 8-10 lbs by the end of February if possible that is why I am trying both 4:3/5:2 and Keto at the same time.

As far as the long term plan, my ‘gut’ is telling me that the 5:2/4:3 or 6:1 will be an easier WOL because the Keto diet really is hard to plan out ahead of time and it allows very little flexibility. Its actually hard to get the ratio right – I end up with too many proteins usually. With fasting I get in to the Ketosis stage within 24 hours so I know it is working. With Ketogenic diet on a NFD I bounce in and out of Ketosis.

So my situation is a bit unique in that I am combining the two for a shorter term result and then in late February will see where I want to go from there.

Are you considering Keto or just curious about it? It may be a bit much to do both at the same time but I am trying.

@laddie10 How do you know when you are in ketosis? As far as the ketogenic kiet goes, I am trying to figure what would make it most likely for me to stick with the program and resist that evening snacking which is where 100% of my excess weight comes from. So the less cravings and the less I think about food, the better. That’s why I think 4:3 might be better for me at this point because I need a big push to get going. When I fast, I don’t think about food, but as soon as I start eating, I start thinking about food. So if I’m fasting every other day, I think that should help. I would also like to lose some weight quickly as I think that once I start feeling better (less sluggish, less heavy) I will be able to stick to it better as well.

Day 16 Sweden FD
    Today I managed to not eat anything until 15.40! Hardly thought about food at all until then!

As far as weightloss is concerned, I seem to lose a lot during the first half of the week, which is the part of the week with fast and stricter calorie-counting, but then I gain it all friday-sunday when I eat more. The past week I lost 3 kilos and then gained them all back by sunday evening…

Weightloss or no weightloss my IBS-symtoms are very much reduced due to 5:2! I can wear tight jeans without being in pain (which is a big deal for me)!

My plan is to continue fasting throughout january – this group is helping me sticking to the plan! Thank you!! Hopefully I will be able to manage the weekends better and lose a few kilos eventually. I know life will be much more hectic in the weeks to come and I think that will actually help me eat less since I won’t be home as much.

I’ve also decided to cut down on carbs since carbs seem to make me want to eat much more..

Good luck to everyone else fasting around the globe!

Day 16 Cornwall UK

Thanks Fuvvie, wise words of encouragement!

I will get back on track !

@peli – I use the urine test strips to check – they are pretty cheap for 50 strips and can be picked up at a local pharmacy. They will say they are for measuring Ketones. Sometimes they are on the shelf near the pharmacy window – at least that is where I have found them. You can get them online too. Simple.

WARNING – IF YOU ARE A DIABETIC TYPE 1 in particular DO NOT START A KETOGENIC DIET!!

I am like you, once I eat the cravings start to come up that is why I haven’t liked doing two NFDs in a row. With a Ketogenic diet the high fat level (in the form of whipping cream/ full fat yogurt/ almond milk/some cheeses/Ghee, olive oil, salmon, etc) should make you feel very full and will last longer towards controlling your appetite over a high carb meal which I personally can burn through in a couple of hours.

Just checking in:

Jan16/ blue Surrey/ FD

So happy to have had my Fast today. Feel so much better! I always feel bloated and heavy after the weekend. Need to keep check of Sunday’s and too many lovely roasts and puddings!

I had a weigh in on Friday and was 67.🙂 Happy that it’s going down and not up or plateauing.

Hope it’s all going well for all the fellow fasters out there! Keep going! Tomorrow will be another FD for me.

@peli – for example, I fast all day and then have a turkey burger (no bun) with cheese, a big salad with flavored (basil is my go to) , olive oil and mushrooms sauteed’ in either Ghee, coconut oil or olive oil. Sometimes I have zuccini or broccoli too. All of that comes to around 350 calories but best of all it is a ratio of 68% fat, 25% protien and 6% carbs. You will be full and satisfied most likely and these types of meals do not raise insulin which is the path to Ketosis.

sorry 3rd post to @peli
    the turkey has to be homemade (gresh ground) – the store bought frozen burgers of any kind have fillers (CARBS!). stay away from those 🙂

Georgia/USA/Day 16/ FD

Day 16 – Cumbria UK – FD

A good FD so far after my over indulgences of the weekend – tea and water only today until I had a bowl of vegetable soup with added kale at around 2000hrs tonight – most likely a total of around 250cal for the day and I feel full so will probably only have a cup of tea later before bed and that will be me done for today – hoping to then stay on tea/water until tomorrow evening – may then carry on to do B2B FDs if I feel up to it

Hope the others doing a FD today are still going well – holding hands across the globe @ciren2, @lilymartin, @pissupoosa, @blueninjamum, @erika45, @brightonbelle, @fuvvie, @lany36, @phwree, @jpilch, @In it to thin it, @august2024, @annemarilyn, @lisa.Alma, @yirrakurl, @therealwil78 – Sorry If I have missed anyone else who was doing a FD on Day 16 – Some of you will already have completed your FD – well done.

@rocy65 – some encouragement for you to find your way back – Remember “I cannot change yesterday, but I can change today”
    @goldensun – in answer to your question my understanding of a FD is you go to bed, get up, eat 5/600 cal. during your waking hours, go to bed, get up and then you can eat to your TDEE.
    @southcroydonkate – hope you start to feel better soon – a bad back is so frustrating
    @pamelav – glad you had a better day – collective hugs across the globe helps xx
    @ciren2 – you have go this – You are stronger than you think – hugs
    @lisa.Alma – perhaps you are eating above your TDEE on your NFDs hence putting the weight lost on FDs back on – try to be more mindful on your NFD and see how you go – good luck

Stay patient and Trust your journey!

Day 16 / Sweden / FD

A good FD today. I don’t think I’ll do a b2b tomorrow though. I have been thinking about food a little too much today. I’ll just be sure to stay within my TDEE tomorrow.

Good luck out there!

Day 16. Sussex, U.K.
    NFD.

Day 16 -Staffordshire UK-NFD

Day 14 – Ireland – NFD
    Day 15- Ireland – NFD
    Day 16- Ireland – NFD
    Day 17- Ireland – FD

Day 17 Sydney, Australia – NFD

Weigh in day – 0.4 kg – Happy with that. Now I just need to repeat it for the next 12 weeks.

I know from experience that if you stick with this WOL it will bring results.

Keep strong everyone.

Day 17 Waikato NZ NFD
    @happymargo I am coeliac so know where you are coming from with the refined “things”.I also find that too much sugar affects me greatly also. Very itchy skin and my liver doesn’t like it! However on the bright side I try to focus on all of those lovely fresh fruit a veg out there. I am a big fan of Jeremy Dixon of the Rivive Cafe in Auckland, he has written several recipe books all vegetarian, dairy free and 99% gluten free and no refined sugar. Fabulous salads and hotpots etc and in his latest book sweet treats with no refined sugar. @lilymartin like you I can’t resist recipe books, seem to be my preferred bedtime reading!!!
    Having come across a great eater I certainly have my downfalls. Sat down with a glass of wine last night and then devoured a large bag of chippies, now I knew these weren’t doing me any favours but I just couldn’t help myself. Consequently the scales aren’t friendly today. Today is another day I am working hard at staying focused. Its not easy is it?

Day 16…..Florida…..FD

FD going well for me. I was offered chocolate as well as cookies from Subway. I said No, today is not my day. It was excepted and I moved on.

I really over ate this weekend, so depending on my weight in the am, I will decide if it will be a FD or NFD. I’ve got a little over a lb to lose then, I get to get a haircut. So, it well need so I can’t muck it up!

The new girl started today, I’m sure she went home saying, what the hell did I get myself into…… she seems nice enough, she a talker, so that’s something I’ll have to get used to…..

Well, got home from work late, so must Get dinner on the stove turkey clubs for dinner!

Cheers!

Day 17 Sunshine coast Qld Australia: FD: 107.0 kgs

Hi. I have to round up a few people. It is only a few days since some signed in and this is only meant to be a gentle nudge,not a criticism. For others it has been weeks. Is there anything you need we can help you with? I feel you signed in for a reason. I know the number of posts can be overwhelming. If you have found that help on some other thread, that is great. So here is the list
    Alexinme,
    Altrarosie
    Amigo
    Animalhouse0200
    Babu
    Bonniedonnie99
    Cboz
    CraftyCathy
    Chrystalshipkelly
    Daphne Roxana
    DebbieQ,
    Headlion
    Hedda
    HollyLJ
    Jenerator
    Keitii
    kiwi linda
    K-Lo
    kmeng
    Krazylady78
    Lovingmylife (still on holidays?)
    Lyna2017
    MadamofMayhem
    Mama2boys
    Manura
    Marsupial
    Meats
    Puzzle Lover
    QB
    Sarah57
    S1u2e3
    Roughmatch
    17Success
    Walden410
    zoomuwo

The reason I make it a list is that it is more likely to catch you eye. Hugs to all. I think this is the role I have taken on but if you feel like you’re being nagged, just let me know and I won’t chase folk up. It’s not meant to be a judgement in any way.

I hope your BPPV is improving, B2tf. It is an awful condition but can respond extremely well to physio, so glad you are going down that track.
    Glad to see you back again, Believeit.
    Go PamelaV and Rocy65 and all the fasters andiron fasters. Those NFDs continue to be the problem from all accounts.

Must go. Meeting Daughter No4 and her two little girls, taking daughter No1’s son and daughter and one of my resident grandsons with me. Nice family catch-up time.

Second post – FD went ok. It was hard but got through it. Didn’t quite manage a 36h fast though. I had raw veg crudités and a dry spicy mutton stir-fry (lots of onions and garlic) for dinner – around 300 calories according to MFP.

I’m thinking I’ll fast tomorrow again until dinner time – make it a back to back.
    I have to bake tomorrow – our head of department is retiring on Wednesday so there is a big lunch planned. People are bringing lots of food. I’m baking 2 cakes – a chocolate layer cake and a Dorset apple cake. So wednesday will most likely be a ‘feast day’! I’d like to get a second FD done before that 🙂

Good night all

Day 16 | FD | Bucks UK

Day 17 – Tokyo, Japan – NFD – 78.2 kg

My weight dropped 2.2kg on about a 34 hour fast. So probably around 2kg of that is water loss.

I’m inspired by all the people I see struggling and working on improving. I just have to buckle down and figure out what to do on my upcoming overseas trip. While I may not have the option of full day fasting on my trip, it doesn’t mean I can’t figure out something so I don’t lose ground. I was also very pleased that 5 NFDs in row didn’t push my weight up too high. Maybe the months of 5:2 have started to make a difference with my bodies set point.

The main problem for me with traveling and fasting in the winter is that I often have to use a bathroom because my body dehydrates so much. I could cut down on what I drink, but that is what actually helps me to fast. I’m really sounding old now!

Sadly my FD turned into a NFD this afternoon. I started off so well but having spent the morning cooking casseroles for the soup kitchen, when I got home I was too hungry to keep going with my fast. Just a little bump in the road. I will be careful with my calories tomorrow.

Day 17 India NFD

Thanks for the words of encouragement Fuvvie. I had a great FD yesterday, was much easier than the first. My weight is now 76.6 kgs. I am so pleased with the results and how I feel. Good luck to everyone with this week.
    Is there a thread for vegetarians or menus/recipes?

Day 17 – Perth, W.Aust – FD

Have enjoyed four straight NFD and have been looking forward to this FD until I woke up. Certainly not feeling myself today, not sure if I’m a little unwell, but felt ‘off’ enough to not do my bike ride this morning, but will see how I feel later today. It’s also the first time on a FD that I feel hungry. Halfway through the day, just had lunch and already can’t wait for dinner, but never mind, will keep my brain active till it goes away.

Have a great day everyone and be kind to yourself.

Day 17 NFD country West Australia

Thanks Blueninjamum for the nod. Yes, I am trying to be really strict on my FDs but even more so on my NFDs because I feel they are what bring me undone.
    The definition of insanity is – doing the same thing and expecting a different result.
    If I fast and then load up mindlessly on NFDs, what am I actually doing?

I checked my tracker and found that I had done a heap of NFDs in a row in a couple of weeks.
    So if I have 28 NFDs in a row I am actually NOT doing 5:2, I am just carrying on as usual and can’t expect any changes in weight or health because I haven’t actually fasted.
    5:2 does require commitment, accountability ( I love this forum for that), and in my case sacrifice as I ADORE food.
    Until I get my NFDs under control I continue to plug in the numbers and monitor portion sizes because that is where the difference – weight wise- will be made.
    I refuse to do FDs unless I can control NFDs because then it is simply self-sabotage, in my case.

Day 16. Québec. NFD

Day 16, Oceanside CA, FD

Great start to the week. Began with 3 mile early walk, protein breakfast, 18 holes of golf, small handful nuts 6 hours later, dinner salad with protein. Refreshing mineral water with lime. Estimate 700 calories, so a little over but easy to live with. My exercise is a negative 300. It all works for me.

Feel fine on FD or NFD. Just committing to program has its rewards.

Thank you for the lists of healthy benefits in addition to weight loss. Both things are rewards for our efforts.

Day 17 – Brisbane, Aus – NFD

Normalish day, hot… not much else happening, hope everyone is doing well 🙂

Day 17 – Auckland, NZ – NFD

Apologies @fuvvie – I didnt get here last couple of days. Day 14,15 – NFD. Day 16 -FD

Day 17 – Melbourne – NFD

@rahul1905 – I am a herbivore too and I find that all the rules are the same, just eat your regular food but much less on FDs and mindfully on NFDs. I mostly have the same thing on FDs, as it is way easier to track the 500 cal if it’s exactly the same each time. Eg it’s summer here, so I have a large salad with 2 eggs and a small amount of dressing at night, and only liquids during the day. In cool weather I was having a small portion of hot protein and steamed non-starchy vegetables for dinner, or soup.

@lilymartin – yes the NFDs undid me last time I tried this WOL and I became discouraged (as I didn’t have this wonderful forum to educate and support me!). My biggest issue has been evening snacking – Mindset: Evening = relaxation and enjoyment = snacking while reading/watching telly/socialising. After about 11 weeks, now, the urge does seem to have faded greatly, and I also save some of my vegetables at dinner in a small bowl which I get out later and eat (especially on FDs) – it sort of tricks me into thinking I’m not denying myself an after-dinner treat…

Aussie day 17 NFD bit naughty had pizza but i haven’t had any for months it was good. Pammie i came out on the Fair Sky i was almost 9 and spent most of the trip in isolation with Chicken pox.

Day 17. Sussex, U.K.
    FD.

Mt goodness, Fishing Gran. Imagine the havoc you could have wreaked in an incubator of sorts. How sad for a young child having to be shut away. I guess the trip would have taken 6 weeks all up??

For some reason, I already had you marked in as NFDs on 14th and 15th, Marinermum. But thanks for bringing me up to date.

I think I will join a hip hop class for adults this evening. Good for the memory. I’ve been watching the boys do it all year and think it is time to have a go myself. Looks like fun. If family aren’t home by 6:10, I’ll have to give it a miss. It starts at 6:30 and goes for about 45 minutes, I think.

Day 17 – Staffordshire UK-fd

Struggling a bit to get my routine back after Christmas. FD are not too bad but think I’m still over doing it a bit on nfd, can’t quite find my running mojo and don’t think I’m going to hit target for the month.

Like Pollyanna I always try to find the positive so I guess I’m glad the scales aren’t going up.

UK day 17 FD/NFD Feel good after yesterday’s fast may do another , but if not no problem- hope my fellow fasters are doing well –
    @ciren2, @lilymartin, @pissupoosa, @blueninjamum, @erika45, @brightonbelle, @fuvvie, @lany36, @phwree, @jpilch, @In it to thin it, @august2024, @annemarilyn, @lisa.Alma, @yirrakurl, @

Off to get a coffee and have a catch up on yesterday’s posts x

DAY 17 – BUCKS UK – NFD

FD went well yesterday – not a mouthful until supper skinless chicken with salad.

Hoping to keep to my tdee to-day – mindful of this community’s advice to count cals.

Good luck. xx.

Day 17 : Cheshire, UK : NFD

Day 17 : Cheshire, UK : NFD

Ended up eating more than my TDEE yesterday after all.

Nevermind, I have been having a look at the Diet Doctor site and I seriously looking at following low carb, high fat meals. I’m able to liquid fast for 24 to 40 hrs but like many on here, I’m finding eating on my NFD difficult 🙂

This thread is so good for the great sources of information.

Day 17 Cornwall UK FD

Saw a loss of 1.3lbs after yesterdays fast so going for another today!

Going to pilares class then coffee and catch up with my daughter then the hair dresser, so keeping busy!

I’m back doing my grandaughters quilt, Im no expert but enjoy it and it keeps my hands busy!

Fuvvie, yes over my bike fall off, though still have bruises, but not so sore!!
    Your reminder of July Aug and being buddies with yourself and Holly are good, we were so positive and can be again!!

Stay strong all b2b fasters today!

Day 17, FD, New Zealand. Struggled a bit, but a large glass of water always shuts the tummy rumbles up. Ate 600 cals for dinner, and walked 9000 steps home from work. Yesterday’s walk was 14,000, so feeling good about getting back into a routine after being on holiday. Will push on for my 3rd FD of this week tomorrow.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 2,440 total)

You must be logged in to reply.