Worried about sugar content

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sarahnya 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Hi all. I’m new here and wanted to try a juice fast to get some weight off quickly as my current low carb plan is just too slow with my sedentary job.

I’m just concerned as a hell of a lot of the recipes have a crazy amount of fruit or carrots in, isn’t this bad for you I kinda consider fruit like a natural candy.

What your saying really doesn’t make a lot of sense? If your low carb diet is too slow then I would tend to suggest its not that low carb? Unless you have an unrealistic expectation of how much weight you can lose per week? Depending on what your TDEE is, I’ll assume its 1500 cal per day. Even if you just had water only for the entire week all you would lose would be 2.5 pounds plus some associated water, so maybe 3-3.5 pounds. So what sort of weight loss are you expecting/wanting each week?

You want to swap that for a juice diet which would essentially be a sugar diet. Once again that really doesn’t make a lot of sense. Your aim is to reduce your blood glucose levels so that your insulin levels drop. If your insulin is low then you are able to access stored fats for energy. A juice diet really isn’t going to let you do that.

5:2 works and most people lose about one pound per week. Its sustainable and works. Good luck and I hope you choose a sensible approach.

I was going to do the juice fast for 30 days simply to give weight loss a boost after watching a documentary on it. Then I’ll probably go back low carb or on a regular low calorie plan. I usually go low carb as my boyfriend is diabetic so it makes sense to eat the same things. The only difference I’m making from the fast shown in the film is that I will have one small low calorie meal which includes protein in.

Currently I’m on 20g of carbs a day eating around 1300 calories but I’m struggling to lose 1 lb a week sometimes. I’m definitely doing it correctly as I have a high level of blood ketones.

I agree with bigbooty, swapping low carb for high sugar for 30 days doesn’t seem a sensible approach. Why not just give 5:2 a go?

I don’t know how much weight you need to lose, but you didn’t put it on overnight so you can’t expect to lose it overnight!

About one pound per week is pretty normal loss and pretty sustainable. Im assuming youre measuring the ketones with a meter (your boyfriends?). 20 g of carbs? Can you describe what you eat in a day? Hopefully its not protein shakes? Those shakes use mostly whey protein which isn’t the best. It will spike your insulin levels. Going to a fruit juice diet will knock you out of your ketotic state. Fruit juice is mostly fructose and glucose. The fructose wont spike your insulin but will have to be processed by your liver and stored as fat. The glucose will spike your BG and insulin levels and knock you out of ketosis and make it hard to burn fat.

Like I said even if you had water for the entire week you’d be lucky to lose more than 3.5 pounds. You cant disobey the law of physics, as much as the diet industry would have you believing otherwise. Completely unsustainable. Just do 5:2 and eat healthy.

Hmm I’ve lost way more than a pound a week before. In my previous job I was losing a steady 4lb a week, sometimes up to 9lb but my job was more active and I had time for gym classes more regular.

On low carb I generally had for breakfast a coffee with coconut oil or on some mornings a cooked breakfast. Usually 2 eggs and a low carb sausage.

Lunch I nearly always have chicken or tuna salad with a little home made mayo, although some days I will skip lunch particularly if I have a large breakfast.

For tea a home cooked tea, usually a nice piece of meat with green veg or meat with salad. We make all our own sauces from scratch. 2 times a week I will have a bowl of berries with cream or will have another coffee with a splash of double cream for desert.

I never gain weight on lc but it’s frustratingly slow. I lost 10 stone previously but I have put 4 back on in 2 years since starting job. One thing I do notice on keto though is that I just don’t have the stamina for working out hard anymore no matter how long I give myself to adapt my muscles become hot and tired quickly presumably due to lack of glycogen. My boyfriend doesn’t suffer this though, nor does he get low carb flu when adjusting, must be his nordic blood!

Didn’t actually realise this wasn’t a juicing forum, that’s what I googled when this came up. However the 2 fast day method would seem easy for me. I don’t intend to do a juice fast for long, just kinda an experiment in dicipline and to see how I feel/how much I lose etc.

You seem to be eating well enough so no problem there. To lose a genuine 9 lbs per week of fat would mean that you’re burning about 5500 cal per day. That’s an awful lot of calories, I suppose its possible…maybe. Even on a keto diet your glycogen levels would be around 60-70% of what it would be if you were fully carbed up. Your body tops up your depleted glycogen levels while you sleep, even on a keto diet. It took you 2 years to put 56 pounds on so realistically you should be able to get rid of this weight over the course of one year. That’s do-able and realistic and means you still eat healthy. Of course its up to you how you decide to lose it. For me slow and steady leads to a sustainable result. Good luck.

Woah that’s a lot of calories, I’m not sure I was that much of a gym rat haha

I think I’ll be happy if I saw a steady 2 lb ish come off a week tbh. I’ll try the juice thing for now just outta curiosity but I’m definitely gonna eat a small amount of protein and whole veg daily. Maybe stick to my lunchtime salad or a small portion in the evening.

Hopefully when I get a bit of weight off I will feel more like proper exercise, at the mo I feel crap (do not recommend driving buses for a living).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.