What happens afterwards

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Victoriaal 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Hello fellow dieters
    Even though I have a long way to go before I reach my goal I was wondering if this is a lifetime commitment?
    I have been reading the horror stories of what has happened to people when they stop and would hate that to happen.
    What do people do?
    Continue on the diet ?

Hi Victoria and welcome:

You cannot ‘go on a diet’, lose whatever weight you want to lose, and then go back to eating like you used to and expect to retain your weight loss. The way you used to eat got you fat in the first place, and will get you fat again.

So you have to eat less than you used to, not only to lose weight, but to keep it off. Just figure out your TDEE at your ‘goal’ weight, and that will roughly be the number of calories you will have to eat for the rest of your life to retain your weight loss. You will not have to use 5:2 to stick to that calorie level, but you will have to control your eating in some way to do it. If you are not willing to do that, then there is no diet on earth, no magic foods to eat or terrible foods not to eat, that will allow you to keep the weight off.

Here are some tips on 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hello simcoeluv
    What a unusual name.
    Has it anything to do with simco in Canada?
    Anyway thank you for your info it was very interesting and made a lot of sense.
    When I looked at how many calories I should have for my height and life style I have been over doing it hence the weight gain even though it has taken a number of years.
    Have you been doing the diet for long or have you finished?
    Regards
    Victoria

Hi Victoria,

When you approach your goal weight, there is a dedicated maintenance thread where long-term and new maintainers share experiences and support one another

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/thank-you-dr-m-for-my-success/

The link appears to work, but the thread has changed its name and is now The Maintenance Chatbox – come and share your success….!

Hi Victoria:

Simcoe is a strain of hops used to make beer. I love beer, and beers made with simcoe hops (although I really love all beer regardless of hops involved).

I lost 40 pounds with 5:2 and have been maintaining that loss for about a year now. I have been experimenting with maintenance approaches. I will probably resume my weight loss efforts later this year or early next.

I am not at the maintenance stage yet – congrats by the way – but the book suggests switching from 5:2 to 6:1 for maintenance mode. Apart from the evenings, I actually enjoy fast days. I sleep so well and it feels like hitting a refresh button. I know this is a cliche, but I see it as a lifestyle change and not a diet. Victoraal, do you not find it sustainable? Just curious.

good morning micklemas
    i am not at my target weight yet i wish i was.
    but i am on the road and determined to reach my goal.
    i find it easier all the time as our minds are in the groove as you say.
    i’m lucky my husband is doing it as well so we support each other and discuss what tasty treats we can have for dinner on our fasting days.
    it will take a while but it is working which is more than i can say for other diets.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.