weighing scale madness

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
weighing scale madness

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  nickynackynoo 10 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• First, let me say that I have a perfectly good scale. Really I do. Over time, it gives me good information and correlates well with scales at two different doctor’s offices.

But I think scales are just nuts.

I write down my weight every Saturday. Sometimes I weigh myself in between Saturdays for extra motivation.

Last Saturday the scale said 126.4 lb.
    This Thursday it said 127.4 lb., even though I knew I did not eat 3500 extra calories, and couldn’t have slacked off to that extent on exercise if I tried. Still, I was prepared to see no weight loss on the scale this morning.

Instead it said 123.4 lb. Seriously, a 4-pound weight loss in 2 days? I don’t think so!

So, now I have to remain content even if I don’t see 123 on the scale again for another 2 or 3 weeks, at least, it’s just totally unrealistic that that number could be correct. And yet the scale insisted.

I am way past the point where hormonal fluctuations cause water weight to come and go.

Scales are just nuts, in the short term. That’s all I can think 😉

Hi franfit,
    I am nearly 68 and still find my weight fluctuates wildly despite controlled eating so can only assume hormones still play a part in fluid retention.
    Have you tried a tape measure instead? I know some people on other threads take comprehensive measurements (e.g. waist, thighs, wrists, ankles, upper arms &c.) and notice declines even though their mass, according to the scale, is either the same or has increased. Some people even report going down a shoe size.
    I just take my waist measurement on Thursday morning after my two fast days (M and W) and also weight, which may or may not reflect what the tape is showing.

Fanfit, your weight can fluctuate within the SAME day, depending on when you measure your weight. Also for women, certain times of the month can show as an increase in your weight. Eating too much salt results in water retention…there are lots of reasons why your weight may go up or down.

I have decided to only note down the dates of when my lowest weight has been beaten by an even lower weight. So I might not note something for four weeks, but once it goes below the last low one, I write it down. This way I do not worry too much about fluctuations but am more interested in the overall trend.

Best of luck
    Stef.

Hi there! If you’re interested in finding the best weighing scale on the market, I’d recommend checking that link: http://www.medicalexpo.com/medical-manufacturer/weighing-scale-470.html. It really help me chose the ideal solution for my place.

Hi, all I can say is relax, I’ve weighed everyday for over 3 years and have detailed data which shows a daily variation up to to 3lb. It’s incredible and very irritating as it appears that there is no logic, but the fact is the metabolic function will include a lot of water and a complex things going on in the way the body handles the various things you’ve eaten. The more accurate the scale the smaller difference it can register so although you ill see smaller swings you might see more of them.

I’m sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I was really upset about this, I have been doing 5:2 long enough now that I know it works for me and that what the scale says week to week doesn’t always seem to make complete sense, even if the overall trend does. Of course there are times when I’ve been working *so* hard to fast and to exercise, and the numbers just don’t add up, and it can feel really frustrating and discouraging until I regain my perspective, but I wasn’t really upset about the scale saying that I lost *more* than was really realistic. Weight loss is such a long-term project. This Saturday the scale said 124.4 (even though it said 126 yesterday!), so now I’ve lost 33 pounds in 33 weeks 🙂 and am very happy that I’ve found a way to lose weight that actually works for me. Some people may find fasting days easy and never feel hungry — not me — it’s still hard work, and I do get hungry, but at least it does work!

Great job on finding what works for you. Glad to hear others are happy with IF as I am. I gave up on the scale for a month. I was happy weighing in twice a month to track progress last year, and will do the same this year.

Thank you, SAMM, you are always an inspiration. For some reason I find the scale motivating, whichever way it goes; if the number goes down, I think, “great! this is so worth it!”, when it goes up, I think, “keep working hard, girl, you’ll get there”. LOL. To each his (or her) own. At the beginning of the process, before I had enough success to have confidence about reaching my goal, I did get upset by the little bumps back up that we all experience from time to time. And sometimes I still wonder if I’ll get all the way back to my baseline weight; maybe not; but I’ll still be a whole lot better off than I was before I began.

It’s good discussion indeed and some good sources are available for buying accurate scales. I am looking for a good scale there for i am a part of this discussion.

I am SO relieved to read what Franfit and others have posted here! I’ve had similar frustrations with the scale, and it can be very discouraging. I’ve only been doing this about 10 weeks, and I’ve had good results so far (fluctuating around 7 lbs lost), but I do get discouraged, even when my clothes are fitting looser. I know it’s all psychological, but it still gets to me! I’m inspired by the veterans here on the forum who have gotten through plateaus and stuck to their plans and met (or are meeting) their goals. It helps me when my confidence needs a boost…

Hi:

Scales can be a problem if you let them: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/easy-on-easy-off/

But if you just keep doing 5:2 right, you will lose weight over time.

Good Luck!

If you want to buy a accurate scale on discounted rate you should try elite scale a scale manufacturing company in USA produce all kinds of scales which able to provide you more accuracy as compare t o others.For more info http://www.elitescale.com

My scales are pretty consistant. I tend to get on and off and shift the scales a little (on a hard floor), to check for anomalies. There is normally nothing more than a 0.25 or 0.5lb difference.
    A few weeks ago I had a very lazy morning. I woke and did my weekly weigh at about 7am. I went back to bed with a cup of coffee and promptly fell asleep again. 2 hours later I woke, went to the loo and reweighed…2.5lb weight loss in 2 hours. I went back to bed, fell asleep, etc. In another 2 hours I lost another 2lb.
    So in 4 hours, I measured a weight loss of 4.5lb! This illustrates the importance of only using the numbers as a guide. Water fluctuations will have a much greater effect on weight in the short term, than the loss of fat.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.