Vitamin B12 levels and fasting

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Minka 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• I have been diagnosed with vitamin B12 deficiency 2 days back. Just got the blood reports, have not been to the doctor yet. Upon searching on Google, came across a few articles which say that water fasts for many days (almost 10 days at a stretch!) can cure pernicious anemia and B12 deficiency.

Has anybody seen improved B12 levels after 5:2 fasting? I think it should, since I have read many posts that it helps with IBS etc., so it might be making the environment better in the gut – cleaning it out – which might help B12 absorption also? Getting really worried!

Hi I’m on regular shots of B12 for PA and as far as I’m aware if you are not a vegetarian or vegan it’s caused by an autoimmune reaction killing off the intrinsic factor in the stomach which you needed to absorb the B12 from food or oral supplements. If you can’t absorb it you will have to have shots if B12 and/or sublingual supplements If you are vegaterian or vegan you might be ok with oral supplements. PA is a big deal and can cause neurological problems which if not treated can lead to permanate damage so please see your doctor

try methylated b12- methylcobalamin. perhaps that will help. there are some genetic mutations that some people deal with that makes absorption of the B’s & their methyl conversion difficult. Methylated B’s really helps in these instances. good luck!

I’ve actually got the MTHFR genetic mutation myself. I do best with the hydroxy form of B12, or hydroxocobalamin. Methylcobalamin doesn’t work so well for me. The hydroxy form is broken down that one extra step further.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.