The 31 day October Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
The 31 day October Challenge

This topic contains 1,627 replies, has 93 voices, and was last updated by  Fuvvie 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 1,628 total)

• Day 28 Italy NFD
    Starting preparations for my OH birthday party on Monday, with a cold coming on. Lots of cooking this weekend hope I can keep my dragons under control!

Australia, Day 28, FD

IF 18/6

US Day 28 NFD

4 miles on treadmill this morning. I forgot to post yesterday which was a FD and workout with weights. A little out of control last weekend with family Moab trip. Another trip planned this weekend to visit my two sons and their families in Colorado. I will try harder to stay focused with 9 grandchildren who eat nothing but chicken nuggets, hot pockets, etc. I will be taking fruit and veggies to snack on.

Tweed Coast Australia / Day 28 / NFD

Total blow out. Lack of sleep/tiredness + stressful situation + emotional reactions = overeating. Thankfully tomorrow is a FD!

Day 28 FD third and last FD this week (although i am sure my other two FDs came over the 500 cal). Will try and make today’s count. Went for a 5k run this morning in 35 minutes. It has been a while since I have run and boy it was hard! But another beautiful day here in Portugal, sun shining and feels warm for the end of October. Will weigh in tomorrow. I have not weighed myself all week and so I am little nervous if I have lost or gained! Normally I weigh every day and know exactly what’s happening!

Georgia/USA/day 28/ NFD:

Hanging in there! Happy Friday!

Good Morning All – USA – Missouri Ozarks – Day 28 – Non Fasting

Had a great day out with my blue eyed cowboy yesterday, he is a lot of fun. Ate at the Mexican restaurant about two, did fine. Ate a handful (literally) of air popped popcorn with a couple of swigs of Diet Dr. Pepper about eight and a Greek yogurt a bit later, that was it. Got in extra exercise.

Today is my day out with friends (my usual schedule is work M, Tu, Wed – spend one day out with friends, one day out with the hubby, one day for family stuff or catching up around the farm, one day for church (which often is also a family day).

Feeling great and feeling grateful.

Hoping the same for each of you.

Surrey UK Day 28 FD. Back home now, starting again. Many of the posts I can see, feel a lot like I am feeling, and we should just stand together and help each other, and I thank you for the words of encouragement and I would also like to say to others who are struggling, let’s do this together for as long as it takes us to establish this as a way of life. I really need to make a note of who spoke which wise words, but thank you.
    Weighed this morning, 98.1 Kg. So it’s no good getting downhearted about that, I did it to myself. Anyway, as I said, starting again. Good luck everyone, I am in for November.

Day 28: Gloucestershire, UK: Yet another non-fast day. Started out with good intentions….but blew it.

Day 28 | Ohio, USA | NFD

I ended up with Wednesday being my FD and it went well. Did fine yesterday too on the NFD — had an evening meeting and was able to put off dinner for quite a while (where as before I probably would have eaten a quick dinner beforehand, hungry or not, and then likely eaten after anyway.

Weigh-in this morning: 128.4 (58.2 kg). Not a huge drop, and way more than the crazy number I’d set for myself this month, but the lowest I’ve seen in years. Slow and steady wins the race!

Have a great day all!

@songbirdme 30 pounds since March, congrats! And those with the new grandkids.

And @back2thefuture, please count me in for November. Thanks!!

DAy 28, Texas, FD (or trying to…)

Ciren2, you are not alone. My supposed to be FD yesterday turned out to be eating more day. 🙁 Trying to fast today.

Day 28 USA (Utah) – NFD

Day 29 USA (travel to Illinois) – FD

Have an early morning tomorrow, day 30, so likely will not get to post. Last evening I found a container of caramel salt gelato in my daughter’s freezer that had been there a while, so decided I needed to finish it up for her. Probably was 300-400 calories right there, but sure was tasty. Wasn’t that kind of me to use it up for her? 🙂

Going to the gym today to work off those calories.

GreatLakes – thanks so much! I am absolutely sold on this diet and WOL. And I have become a salesman for it with everyone who notices my new ‘sveldt’ body!

Itsmyturn – your quiche “crust” of parmesan cheese sounds perfect for calorie counting! I do enjoy real crust though, and there is my problem.

August2024 – hope your oral surgery is over and done. I’ve had periodontal work, and it’s all no fun.

GO CUBS GO! Game 3 tonight.

US, Day 28, FD. Holding steady between 120 – 121. I want to be lower. My 60 year old body is laughing at my brain. On the upside, my muscle tone is definitely improving!

I’m getting a haircut this evening, so that should be five pounds off right there.

London | Day 28 | NFD

I see there is light at the end of the long tunnel:

1. Managed a 24h fast! Had nothing since lunch yesterday. Just broke fast with today’s lunch – roast chicken with a small green salad.
    Felt absolutely fine throughout. In fact, a lot of mental clarity. Also did a hot yoga class last night – felt a little hungry afterwards but nothing I couldn’t ignore (despite making a fried egg sandwich for my husband last night, lol).

2. The scales this morning read 65.6 kg – a loss of 1 kg 😀 That just made my day and really encouraged me to push the fast to 24hrs.

I can’t remember if I’ve said this before, but I’m so grateful for the support and encouragement everyone shown me and each other. Such a lovely community. I don’t have a friend or colleague I can buddy up with, so being able to have a moan about stuff in general is a life saver. The last time I mentioned fasting to someone, they rolled their eyes and lectured me on hypo’s and re-feeding syndrome (this was a doctor, no less!!). I keep my mouth shut now. No need to talk at length, the results are self evident 🙂

Ciren2 – I’m half way through the book. I tend to agree with you about the format/layout, but I’d like to see how the rest of the book is before I pass judgement 🙂 It’s giving me a lot of encouragement at the moment. I also like how it makes total scientific sense – it appeals to the biochemist in me and of course the inner nerd :-p

All the best everyone. I’ll try and have a thorough browse through the posts over the weekend so I’m up to scratch with everyone’s news. Saw a new grandchild somewhere – Congratulations! Sorry I’m a bit out of touch. I’ll get there 🙂

Have a good weekend x

Day 28|NFD + in recover mode|Toronto
    Oral Surgery yesterday, on pain killers and antibiotics for next couple of days, not sure what will be the impact aside from being very tired.”Dragons” will be either comatose or ravenous.
    Best to all

Day 29 Fla USA NFD. Good day yesterday – light breakfast egg and a piece of toast and met friends at 3 o’clock for late lunch early dinner – ate 1/3 of my chicken – but 2 pieces of bread – totally unnecessary – handful of almonds and couple tbs of ice cream later.
    still think Ii was below my tdee.
    Can’t believe we’ve gone through another month again have a good weekend everyone on to November

Pissupossa. What book are you referring to?

Second post.

Sorry itsmyturn – I’m talking about Jason Fung’s latest book – Complete Guide to Fasting.

Pissupoosa, when you are finished, I’d be interested to hear how it differs from The Obesity Code.

K-Lo – so far not a massive difference apart from the fact that it’s mostly in colour (resembling a scientific textbook), maybe a bit more updated research info etc…
    I think the main difference is that it has instructions/guidance on how to do several different types of fasts. Obesity Code was more to do with the science, theory and myth busting about obesity and fasting…?
    I will post a more thorough review once I’ve read the whole thing 🙂

Cuevas de Reyllo, Spain Day 28 NFD

Hi all day 28 UK

Itsmyturn – how did you do that lol be on day 29 when it is only 28th October – just kidding.

Lany – just keep at it, just keep doing what you are doing. Make sure off course you are not fooling yourself by sneaking little treats in and forgetting about them – I sometimes think of my body waiting to see if I am serious about this way of life – testing me to keep doing what I am doing – then when it sees I have kept the faith, so to speak, it rewards me restarting the loss of weight.

Well last night didn’t go as I had planned. it was the local young farmers Halloween tea party (my 2 sons are members). They had all sorts of nice goodies – pumpkin soup, pumpkin spice cake (very nice) apple pies with cream (yum), pumpkin pie (had to sample it) sandwiches and traybakes. So my soup only for dinner went out the window lol but it was lovely.

I can’t find my stay strong bracelet 🙁 I remember feeling very annoyed as I was wearing it and not being very strong. I remember taking it off and (I thought) throwing into my bag in disgust but I can’t find it. Hope it turns up as I really liked it. Enjoy your weekend everyone. x

2nd post

northerndawn I agree, we are our own worst enemy at times with what we say to ourselves. the negative thoughts we bombard ourselves with. We would never dream of saying what we think about ourselves to others so why can’t we treat ourselves with the same respect. I remember on one of the little voices challenges it was a love yourself month cus your worth it. One of my suggestions was to look in the mirror and smile at ourselves. How many strangers do we smile at each day yet if we have to look at ourselves it is only to view what we perceive to be our bad features. I want us all to look into the mirror each morning and before you notice anything else smile and say good morning, why not blow yourself a kiss while you are at it?

Gozo, Malta
    2nd post

Thank you Coda for the advice and it’s true what you said.

This evening I went out with sister in law and choose a pasta starter withsea urhins. I had it without cheese and didn’t have a bruschetta or wine. I just had sparkling water.

Tomorrow is weight day for me and for the end of this challenge. I find this to be supportive and want toontinue even if I start my maintenance wol.

Good evening/night everyone.

UK day 28 FD/NFD Tried the 2-2 fast I imagine it could work but unfortunately I reverted to old habits and felt I needed to have a large lunch before I started and was ready to eat again at 2 on the dot …. Hopefully I’ll end October on the same weight I started , will go into the November challenge on a positive note , will catch up on posts tomorrow x

Day 28 : NFD : Cheshire, UK

I’ve really lost it. I’m just bingeing and I don’t seem to be able to stop. I’m hoping I can get it together for the November challenge. Also, I don’t know if anyone else is having the problem of catching up on posts. I thought I had found a solution by subscribing to the emails when someone posts but I’m still not able to keep up. I need to find a way as it’s the posts that inspire me to keep me on track, not so much me posting daily as I seem to be able to do that blindly.

Gosh, I’m feeling overwhelmed and a bit whiny 🙂

Day 29 NZ NFD

Greatlakes I would so love to see the 58kg looking at me from my scales, that’s my goal weight and I can’t help thinking you must be tiny (as in not tall) to still be losing from that weight. Good for you, Im sure we are nothing alike but it gives me hope to know someone got to my goal weight with this wol

Goldensun I have the same problem with post catch up, & I had an overwhelming whiny day myself yesterday but checking in here and getting tiny bits of advice or mostly just support from people (like simcoluv and coda, thanks) makes such a difference. Just let today be what it is going to be and take heart knowing tomorrow is just around the corner. If you are anything like me, you’ll wake up and feel renewed optimism for having had the whine, and found the support you needed, and this new day is a whole new chance to feel empowered and strong and trust in your own ability to make good choices 😊

Can we each think one good strong positive thought about ourselves and maybe post it here? We all need to vent and release but I’d like to try and follow each of the negatives I feel about myself with a positive, even if it’s a tiny little thing, just to shift the tide toward some self love and powerful positive thinking.

Today my good thought about me is going to be ‘I’m a loving mother and the luck I feel for having such wonderful children is partly a reflection of the good parenting I have given them’

It’s extraordinaryly hard to praise yourself when you are stuck in a cycle of self loathing and I feel awkward writing my positive down for you to read but I’m going to post it and let myself feel good about my one good thing today. I hope some others try it too, positive actions come from positive thoughts. Let’s stay strong together and keep smiling.😊😊😊

Second Post!

I’m now upto date with everyone’s post. I was determined. Feeling inspired…thank you everyone for posting :). Need to find the determination not to fall off the wagon…so to speak.

@moth54 – yes, you’re right. I know this about feeling my feelings and not suppressing them with food. I just think that maybe my reaction is that I’ve felt a lot of emotion recently and I kinda had enough and resorted back to comfort through food. Yes, I’m dusting myself off and will keep on keeping on. Thank you.

@northerndawn – you are right too. I wouldn’t dream of being so unkind to others as I am to myself. Thank you. I feel sad for force feeding myself and then berating myself for doing so.

xoxo

Apologies for the 3rd Post 🙂

@lany36 – thank you!

My positive thought about myself is that I’m a loyal friend and love to laugh. I love deeply and passionately. I adore my son, whom I raised as a lone parent. I’m so proud of him and a couple of weeks ago he told me that he adored me and loved me plus I would be the person he would always turn to in his darkest hour. Aww….why am I so hard on myself at times 🙂 I like me 🙂 Thank you once again Lany36 🙂

xoxo

London | Day 28 | NFD

Calgary, Canada, day 28 NFD
    Feeling better today although all I’ve eaten so far is carbs…
    going to try a 2 day fast for the last 2 days of the challenge just to see if I can manage to lose a lb and be lower than I started. Brighton belle reminded me that some of us are fast gainers and slooow losers, I am one of those , so i happy to have gotten this far with no gains.

NZ, Day 29, NFD
    Weigh day – 63.7
    FD finished yesterday arvo &I had a blow out on all the left-over sweets that were in the cupboards this week for decorating cupcakes for school gala/country day yesterday.

Just packing to head away for weekend – taking bikes for first time, yay!!

Will catch up on everyone posts when back.

Take care all. Xxx

Day 28|NFD| Bucks UK

Hap Hap Happy I lost another 1.5lbs

Perth, Australia, Day 29, NFD

@goldensun, have you tried affirmations? I know they’ve really helped me to believe that I can achieve. I felt like a bit of a goose when I first tried, but it is nice for your brain to hear positive stuff, rather than the emotional beat up that I know I’m guilty of subjecting mine to at times. I think of it as being your own cheer squad rather than the bully.

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend x

Australia, day29, nFD

Day 28 – E.Canada FD, but nope.

Cycled to the pool and had a swim. Good for me.

Weigh in day. I’m at my specified target weight for the challenge of 130, but now I am quite ready to get into the 120s and be in my healthy BMI range for the first time in several years.

In the last 35 days, 5 weeks, I have slowed, deliberately, my rate of weight loss, to 1 to 1.5 pounds per week, instead of the 2 pounds per week that marked my first 9 weeks of the challenge. I am doing this since I am getting used to stabilizing, not just losing. I want to ‘cruise into a landing’ sometime in December to my target weight. I am thinking carefully about how I want to be eating as a rule, not just how to eat to lose.

In the first 9 weeks of 5:2, I quite happily ate under TDEE on most NFDs, as well as doing the fasting. But the last few weeks I have not fasted as hard, I’ve let myself eat more than 500 calories on FDs, although most NFDs I don’t eat to my TDEE. I am observing carefully what eating behaviour causes me to lose, and what causes me to maintain. I want the WOL, even if I don’t do FDs quite so strictly any more.

Today: bran flakes 200, then a sumptuous lunch of 2 eggs over easy on a single piece of toast, lezzee, say 300; I saved half till later in the day, st 500, and a cafe latte, 150, st 650, and a very small amount of sauteed onions and tomatoes and potatoes, say 50, that’s 700, and nuked blueberries and light whipping cream, 50, 750. I may have forgotten something – yup, the salad, 50, st 800, and half a banana, 50, st 850, and whatever else, 50, st 900. So still under TDEE.

Pleased that I resisted buying a cookie, and also resisted a candy bar. The second is just a habit, I am pretty sure I can kill it dead. As for the cookie, I told myself I can always have one tomorrow.

I do not angst about carbs too much, I just want to try and eat the veggies.

Where I’ve succeeded as WOL: I don’t drink sweet drinks anymore, or eat ice cream except the occasional cone. I don’t keep cookies or cake in the house, although I’ll buy individual cookies from time to time. Most days I eat more bananas, good for the potassium – and once I’m eating the banana, I don’t miss the cookie. I don’t eat fried noodle bricks anymore. I eat the occasional 1/2 bagel, but don’t keep bread in the house anymore. Portion sizes I’m careful about.

I have come to love caffe lattes. Alas, I’m spending a lot of $ on them.

Sunshine Coast Australia Day 29: NFD: Still another day where I was down at the beach but this time watching children at a birthday party. Then had fish and salad for lunch followed by double icecream. Then a pice of bread end, so crusty, with avocado,when I came home. This is not the way I intended this challenge to finish but so be it. Tomorrow is the second concert. Last night went well for me but one of our group, an elderly gentleman of 83 with a bass voice that sends thrills through me, had a turn after the concert and ended up spending the night in the hospital. He is ok now. He’s probably not going to sing in tomorrow’s concert, I imagine, which is really sad. The last concert is on Wednesday at a retirement village. Then we can relax.
    Time for a hot cup of rooibos. Some great losses happening out there. Day after tomorrow, I can start tallying the results. Go team.

Moth,

Way to go. Not sure I could handle whipped cream with my berries though. Im a greek yogurt and berries person. Used to always have fruit juice in the fridge. Havent bought a carton in two years. Fruit bowl always has apples, kiwi fruit, oranges and the odd banana in it for the kids. Not a big fan of bananas myself. Frozen berries in the freezer all the time.

Just did my bike ride this morning. Off to cut the lawns now 🙁

Gozo, Malta
    Day 29
    NFD

Today I went on the scales and I’m 63.4 kilos or just about 140 pounds. My BMI is 23.9. I’ve lost 2.6 kilos in October and have reached the target weight I set myself of 64 kilos and more. I can go to maintenance mode now. I’m size 12 U.K. now down by about two sizes since I started 5:2 on 6 June. Total loss of weight is 15.8 kilos or 34 pounds.

I’ve learned not to eat because I have nothing better to do and not to binge eat either. Another thing I avoid is nibbling and if I nibble it will be on fruit or vegetables such as cherry tomatoes. I have gone to weddings, parties and ate out since starting 5:2 and ate quite a lot at these functions and still lost weight. I didn’t exercise much except for walking the odd twenty minutes infrequently and running after my grandchildren. I’d like to change that and walk more frequently.

I have found these challenges very supportive and love reading all posts as they motivate me. Thank you Fuvvie for setting this challenge.

I want to go for the November challenge to maintain if I can the weight I have now.

Onwards and downwards. Have a happy Saturday everyone.

USA (Minnesota), Day 28 NFD 143 pounds, 22.4 BMI

Ciren2 and Cold Pizza, I’m with you….I was trying for a FD, but just couldn’t do it today. Maybe Monday, Wednesday and/or Friday. That would be good, since I haven’t had a really good FD in a couple weeks. I would really like to get a good one done. I would like the many health benefits other than weight loss.
    Once again, no time to read many posts. I hope to catch up 4 pages this weekend.
    My best wishes to everyone. Remember: what do you want a year out from now? You can get there if you don’t give up, if you don’t let frustration sabotage you. Stay patient and keep trying. It’s a long term thing. Good luck.

Day 29 Italy – NFD
    Terrible day yesterday, I felt cold down to my bones and spent most of the day on the sofa under a cosy blanket…..eating rubbish!
    Every time I went to get something else to shovel in I was angry with myself but went ahead anyway!
    Frustrating right at the end of the challenge when I was losing weight again. Feel a bit better today let’s see what I can salvage in time for my final weigh in

Day 29 : NFD : Cheshire, UK

Weigh Day today and I’ve put on 4lbs of the 5lbs I lost in October. The reduction in inches has stayed, thankfully.

I’m feeling much more positive about the challenge after my mini melt-down yesterday but reading everyone’s post really helped especially the success stories. @anna6 – well done!

@baygirl thank you for the suggestion of affirmations but they don’t really work for me. What does work is just being kind to myself. I’m a natural nuturer, caring person and it’s good to just remind myself to direct that nurture and care towards myself.

Have a great weekend everyone! xoxo

Day 29. Sussex U.K.
    NFD
    Ah Holly. I feel for you. Glad you feel better today. Make the most of it eh.
    I too had a great week until I had some bad news yesterday which I thought I was coping with but three liquorice sticks and two small chocolate bars denied it. I knew I was wobbling at lunch, so poached salmon for lunch with lots of veg and soy sauce. Was it the soy that spiked my blood sugar? Whatever, I slipped up big time in the afternoon.
    Congratulations to all who have done so well this month.
    Time for me to reboot for November.

Tweed Coast Australia / Day 29 / FD

Thank goodness for this FD. I really needed it after yesterday’s craziness in my eating! I’m relieved to feel a reprieve from that and hope this sense of sanity continues tomorrow and throughout the rest of the week.

Surrey UK Day 29 Good fast day yesterday, happy to be back home. Had a light meal last night, and so far not hungry yet,
    @coda, what a timely and wonderful reminder about being positive. I also passed on your words to my daughter who was so grateful for them as well.
    @lany36, I think your suggestion of posting one positive thought about ourselves is an excellent one, and I am going to try it. Did you say each time we post? That will be a challenge! Perhaps it should become part of this new way of life.
    Interesting though, isn’t it, that sitting here thinking about that, it is quite difficult to find one positive thought!!!! It signals just how negative one is about oneself.
    No.1: I very seldom complain to my family about anything so as not to make them worry.

Portugal day 29 NFD just finished a short cardio workout with fitness blender.

I started the 5:2 on 24th Sep at 70.8kg
    Start of October : 69.2kg
    Goal weight oct: 66.7kg
    End October: 65.9kg
    Loss in October: 3.3kg
    Long term goal: 58 kg

I am weighing in today as I will be away for next few days – to celebrate 24 years married on 31st October.
    I am delighted with weight loss after a very good start to the month but then a shaky final 10 days.
    This forum has been so good to keep me motivated and accountable. Look forward to continuing in November. Thanks fuvvie and everyone else for sharing their stories, hints and wisdom. Have a good weekend.

day 29, brussels, nfd

Australia Day 29 nfd

Day 29, Australia, NFD

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 1,628 total)

You must be logged in to reply.