The 31 day October Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
The 31 day October Challenge

This topic contains 1,627 replies, has 93 voices, and was last updated by  Fuvvie 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 1,628 total)

• Australia Day 27 nfd

Weighed in after fd and up since Monday’s fast! HA! I am doing really well sticking with the 12 week exercise program I’m on and am super sore today so hopefully it’s retaining water and building muscle, which is what I want, just not showing on the scales.

Thanks HollyLJ, great to hear what you think about water only fasts. I agree with what you were saying about the feeling of power over yourself when finishing it.

Lael I have had that kale slaw from Coles, it is delicious, I might get some again soon. Thanks for bringing it up. Yum.

Day 27 FD NZ
    May have missed posting this week at times, my internet connection has been glitching this week

Hardest FD I’ve done so far today. It’s 7pm so I will make it, even if I have to hide in bed to get there!

Struggled with a busy and draining day at work, major brain fog all afternoon despite no big hunger pangs I was so desperate for food!

Made it until home time then nearly threw it out the window when I got there to find all the housework I rushed home and did at lunchtime had been blown out of the water by two teenagers! My bench was invisible under dishes, the washing I put out to dry had been left in the rain and teen daughter was in Girlzilla mode.

I’m clinging on to the hope I have a good result on the scale tomorrow morning. I really need to feel something positive for today’s effort. …then I need to stop self sabotaging my NFDs and I should be exactly where I want to be….here’s hoping

Gozo, Malta
    Day 27
    NFD

Today after going to mass this morning I had coffee with semi skimmed milk and small packet of salted cracker 160 calories.

I’m having cheese ravioli for lunch and yogurt plus banana for supper.

Stay strong everyone. Happy Thursday.

UK day 27 NFD not perfect but pretty good FD yesterday,in this last week I’d like to crank it up a notch but I know I can’t do b2b fasts and I have a few things on over the weekend ,when I re-read the fast diet book recently I remember seeing a suggestion for a 2-2 (fasting from 2pm to 2pm ) so I’m giving it a go this afternoon ,I’m not totally convinced but at the very least I guess it’ll keep the calories down and I can go out on Friday night with a clear conscious, I usually have a few beers on a Friday but I’m giving them a miss this week , maybe a glass of wine instead but I want to keep it low .

Day 26: Pacific NW USA, the day turned into a NFD

“On the road again🎶”, actually never really left the road, but I have a new teeny-tiny little grandson who got to call the shots on my itinerary.

Today was going to be a FD but turned into a NFD with 2 meals under TDEE. Also today was my stats day and I am down 1.5 lbs this week.

Going to hit the bed because taking care of baby’s 20 month old big sister is lovely and exhausting. Tomorrow is gymnastics day, AKA little people bouncing and running.

Day 27 : NFD : Cheshire, UK

Yesterday turned into a NFD. I actually binged. I don’t know what’s happening. How can it be that I’ve put on all the weight lost and more in less than a week!

I keep trying until my mind is right again.

xoxo

NZ, Day 27, FD
    Doing back to back FD days to fit them both in this week – feeling good.
    Thanks for kind words regarding my self destructive experience on Tuesday – I think I had a heavy heart all day more than anything because I was so aware of how awful I would feel afterwards (bingeing – there, I said it, phew!!) but couldn’t pull myself up. Not a wasted life day but definitely a wasted one on this challenge!!

I’m pleased that I managed FD the next day rather than delaying FD till the next week (or two!!).

Take care all – well done those getting good results / keep shining those who are facing challenges.

Day 27 Italy – NFD
    Been busy in the garden this morning, lovely sunny day after a grey week.

Good Morning All – USA, Missouri Ozarks, Day 27, Non-Fasting

Weight in Day – 147 pounds – exactly as I hoped. I believe I have weighed 147 the last three Thursdays. I have been charting my weight on a different site since 2007 so it is easy to see the progress. I started at 160 but have never gotten to that weight again (happily) – most recent high was 154 about a month ago. I have been as low as 135 which was too low, I looked ten years older than I am.

My best weight is about where I am now, maybe 145 at the lowest. What is interesting to watch is how different I look this week at 147 than I did two weeks ago at 147. So, for those that don’t see the scale moving, do you look better in your clothes? Is that middle getting flatter? Are those zippers getting easier? How about those measurements? Lots of way to gauge success, and yes – the scale is one of those. I am going to start watching the ten day average to see the trend.

Plan to spend the day out with the hubby, we do that once a week. Always have fun. Won’t eat breakfast (either of us), will have a late lunch which will be my dinner as well. He will probably eat popcorn or soup or something later tonight.

Still getting all the exercise, lots of water and tea, sleeping great.

Very happy to have found this site and some stability.

Enjoy your day all.

Australia, Day 27, FD

Tweed Coast Australia / Day 27 / NFD

I feel like I ate a lot today. I was hungry! I’m studying and feel the stress and pressure of assignments that are coming due and I know this makes me hungrier!

Sunshine Coast Australia Day 27: Another 20 hour fast followed by ingestion of enormous amount of food. But it was another lovely day where I was able to go down to the beach (we live up on the range behind Nambour and I went to Mooloolaba today, a 25 minute drive from here) where I did a 4.2km walk on the beach and in the water in about 50 minutes. Took lots of photos which I enjoy looking at. I sent a selfie to my husband who thought I looked young and healthy. Amazing what a coating of fat under the skin can do and a big smile with the wind blowing your hair about. I felt good and that must have shone through. So I ask myself, why don’t I do this more often? Answer: I don’t know but it is going to change. I have wasted the last 2 years of opportunities to go to the beach. I’m going to turn that around as it feels so good.

So pleased to hear that the mobile phone has survived. White rice? Go figure. Must keep that in mind.

Congratulations on your new grandson, b2tf.

Good post LindaSue.

It’s 9:30pm. Time to shut the computer down in the name of good sleep hygiene. Will catch up further tomorrow.

Surrey UK Day 27 So this has been mostly a disastrous month for me. Giving up is not an option, I don’t really know how or what took place for me to lose focus like this. I want to re focus and see if I actually have any backbone, which at this point seems unlikely.
    On my way home shortly, and will start again. I saw something about a November challenge and really want to be part of it and I will try and be a more useful part rather than the lack of anything useful this month. Good luck everyone.

London | Day 27 | NFD

Thank you everyone for the thoughtful comments. Sorry I’m a bit detached from all the posts right now. I’ve been feeling a little better in terms of mood but in general still feels like I’m trudging through mud…
    Trying to eat healthily and fast for as long as can. I managed 16hrs yesterday and 15hrs today – skipping breakfast and having a late lunch. I’ll keep going until I can get to a point when I’m able to do more structured fasts.
    In terms of exercise – I’ve done hot yoga and TRX so far this week. Another hot yoga after work today. Hopefully do my usual 5k run on Saturday as planned.
    Weight 66.7kg – been stable for the past 2 weeks.
    So, not been a bad week.
    Good luck everyone!

PS. Anyone reading Dr. Fung’s new book? Ciren2, I remember you said you were waiting for it to arrive?

Day 27. Sussex U.K.
    NFD.
    Not too bad fast yesterday but still feel that once I begin to eat, I want to graze for the rest of the day. Had split my calories between two meals but very difficult. Also was at home all day and too near the kitchen. Lessons learned?

Hi uk day 27
    No breakfast and a healthy prawn noodle for lunch with a big bowl of homemade vegetable soup planned for tonight. Pissupoosa me too, hoping I can avoid any snacking and get through today. If I get one day under my belt I can do 2 and just baby step my way along until I am able to fast like I used to.
    I’m waiting on the book to be delivered hoping for inspiration but in meantime re reading other books and recipes to feed my body with what it really needs rather than feed emotions and what my brain thinks I need.
    Congratulations b2tf on the birth of your grandson.

Thanks, fuvvie.

Let me add my congrats on the new grandbaby ! We are have a new great granddaughter in March (maybe on my birthday). Always so exciting !

Day 27 Portugal NFD
    Just back from a lovely morning walk. The autumn leaves are falling, but with the sun and 27oC temp., it felt like a summer’s day! Anyway 12 km walked today. I was going to do a FD but because I had lunch out, I am changing the FD to tomorrow. I have not weighed myself all week. Will weigh in on Saturday morning and even though I feel like I have been eating a little too much, I hope the scales aren’t too unkind!

Day 27: Pacific NW USA (away from home), NFD

I’m sure I was sleep-writing last night. I think I’ve forgotten how to sleep! I’m also trying to log in our November challengers – by hand since I did not bring my laptop with me (past challenge organizers will sympathize)!

My OH joins the family’s “welcome to the world new baby” party today so that means we will have a reunion of sorts since I’m on back-to-back trips away from home. Hope he doesn’t mind me being a zombie!

My plan is to eat lightly and smartly as I am now focusing my TDEE on my goal weight so I can get familiar with what I want to be my new normal. Lunch was a lobster consommé (basically lobster bone broth), dinner last night was fresh halibut and veg. Have a good end of the month everyone! Yeah, Cubs!

Day 26 + 27, Brussels, FD

Think that I might have forgotten to check in yesterday.. not sure, it’s been a crazy week so the days have just disappeared. fasting today, it’s going really well. Weigh in tomorrow and at the moment I’m on a roll, the weight just goes down each week.. but as I’ve said earlier at one point or another it will change so I better enjoy it for now!

Good luck on the last couple of days of the challenge to all of you, I hope you’ll meet your targets!

x

Day 27 USA (Utah)

NFD today. Mostly taking care of details today but hopefully will get in a good power walk.

Tried on some ski pants I had left here from last snow season with daughter. They were really tight and uncomfortable last winter, but today they were about 3″ too big around my waist! Yeah! Good thing they have adjustable velcro bands to tighten them, or else it would mean a new ski outfit. That’s what losing nearly 30 pounds since March will do for me.

Still reveling in the great Cubs win last night! GO CUBS GO! Fly the W!! Thanks for all the kind regards about the team of my youth.

Onward and downward!

Had a nice broccoli quiche for breakfast – bought at Costco yesterday, and it’s pretty good. I do enjoy pie crust about as well as anything. Will only snack for lunch then have a good supper with daughter.

Gozo, Malta
    Day 27

Another post.

Congratulations back2thefuture on your brand new grandson. Enjoy yourself at the reunion. I want to join the November challenge. Please count me in.

Fuvvie I’ve changed my mind and will give my weigHt on Saturday as Sunday its mu grandaughter’s birthday party and I’ll probably gain on Monday morning.

Onwards and downwards.

Day 27. FLA USA NFD Good day yesterday – light brunch after my back to back fast days- almost 60 hours and saved myself for my favorite. Fried Green Tomatoes with Romalade sauce – probably blew calories for the week but they are soooo good! Behaving today. Have a good day.

USA Hawaii Day 27 NFD

Songbirdme. I love quiche – any kind – but am not a fan of pie crust – I lightly butter the pie plate sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese pour in filling and bake ad usual – so good. Calories cut way down.

B2TF. Congratulations on your new grandson.
    thanks so much for taking on November

Day 27 South Florida USA
    NFD
    was supposed to be a fd but had a big training this morning and couldn’t risk being ‘grumpy’ with clients.
    Sorry i’ve been MIA – i’ve been driving a lot – out really early in the morning, working at remote office and supervising construction workers and trying to still work on clients and then driving 1.25 hours back home after 6.. during rush hour traffic… BLECH!!! I want my normal routine back!!

I’ve not done a FD this week – BUT/HOWEVER – My body has actually grown to like FDs and ‘knows’ that it is supposed to be a FD… so i had trouble eating my egg whites this morning… plus, i’ve not been snacking nearly as much as i used to – my body doesn’t want all that much – except when i have the wine – so you don’t have to be Sherlock to figure out that the wine is NOT my friend!!!
    Have a great day everyone!!!

Day 27: Gloucestershire, UK: Non-fast day. Eating for England!
    Pissupoosa: Yes, I’m reading the new book by Dr Fung. It’s ok…not sure about the way it’s arranged, but some interesting information so far. What do you think?
    NorrieB: Yes, you have plenty of backbone….don’t be too hard on yourself…I hope things work out for you. Hugs xx

Day 27. Wisconsin, USA. NFD.

FD went well yesterday. Plus 40 minutes of Fitness Blenders, and walked.

NFD today, and I find my stomach is getting fuller faster these days.

Day 27|FD| Toronto
    May be a very easy FD; I dutifully made the trek to a second fun morning in an oral surgery chair today.

I messed up my post yesterday….
    It was suppose to say Day 26|NFD|Bucks UK
    And today is Day 27|FD|Bucks UK

I blame the 2 little 2 1/2yr old girls have had running around for the past couple of days, my great-nieces… I’ve loved every minute of it but I’m so so tired. Not sure how I completed a fast day but I did and so pleased with myself!

London | Day 25 | NFD
    London | Day 26 | NFD
    London | Day 27 | FD

Hi everyone, sorry for the misinformed entries. Had a few long and tiring days. Can’t believe the month is nearly over!

Cuevas de Reyllo Spain, Day 27 NFD
    Haven’t eaten porky or pig products for years – had pasta with chorizo (well, we are in Spain), now feeling really sick! Won’t be doing that again in a hurry.
    SSB

Australia, day 28, nonFD

Sunshine Coast Australia Day 28: NFD
    NorrieB, you are not alone with those feelings. We are at the hard part where the initial great losses give way to the constant battle to fight against the habits of a life time. But you are still here and I do believe that we will get there. We have to change our way of looking at things and we will see new patterns emerging over time. Go girl.
    LindaSue, when is your birthday in March. My twin daughters oare on 15th, eldest daughter 22nd, her husband 23rd, their daughter, my eldest granddaughter 25th and I’m on the 28th. So busy month for birthdays. I’ve always found it to be a great month.
    So many people doing so well as we approach the end of the month. It has been a lovely time of getting to know people better. Keep up the good work. Going to the hairdressers this afternoon and then first concert tonight. Feeling a tad croaky. That has to be gone or Mabel won’t get the high notes in Tarantara. Life is good. Going for a walk on the beach whilst MIL sits in a cafe having a coffee. Will just have to walk backwards and forwards over the same 100 metres so she can see me and not get worried.

Day 27 – E. Canada NFD

Looking at the posts, I see yet more proof of how intimately related emotions are with food. We long to feel better, and yet I think sometimes we have to risk being sad, to just hold on to those feelings and accept them. This is very scary, this learning to divorce food as a source of comfort, so ease up, you guys (thinking especially of GoldenSun and Norrie B. and Pattie67.) I just do not believe you or anyone else here doesn’t have backbone. Picking yourselves up, dusting yourselves off, and trying yet again, that’s what takes backbone, and that’s what you are doing.

Went for a walk today with a friend. It actually wasn’t too bad in the trees, away from the wind. But out by the water, oi, that wind cut. And we’re nowhere near winter yet!

Breakfast, bran flakes, 200. Caffe latte, 150/350. Small bowl of leftover rice and chicken – hmmn, 200/550. Another caffe latte, and a large cookie – 470/1020. Stir fry pork, rice, and salad – 350/1370, banana with a square of chocolate, 150, 1470, just squeaked under the TDEE. Pleased about sticking to the banana and the single square (spouse got for me from his hiding place, as I cannot be trusted around chocolate… yet)

I needed this food today, I think I fought off the cold.

Fuvvie, My birthday is March 2nd. Isn’t it funny – our family also has about twelve birthdays from the end of February until the first week in April. Guess around June is a great time to make a baby…..

Day 28 NFD NZ

HELP! I have tried to be much more conscious of my NFDs this week but this morning the scales initially read 200g up then exactly the same as last week!

I haven’t had a loss in 3weeks, yet I’ve been more closely monitoring my intake on NFDS and Fasting well
    under 400cals, not always perfect NFDs but nothing to explain the stall.

I started in September and lost about 3kg so easily straight away but now nothing is happening.

I’m feeling really disappointed and I know it’s something I’m doing but I can’t identify the issue. I’m pretty good food wise I think. I fast easily (other than yesterday’s dizziness and fog brain) twice every week and I exercise for minimum 1hour 6days out of 7 like I have for years.

I just so desperately want my jeans to be comfortable so I can look in the mirror and not see ugly fat bulges staring back at me. I don’t need to be skinny, but every time my OH hugs me I can feel myself shifting and twisting to minimise the bulges he might feel under my loose tops. He doesn’t judge but I do and I hate the way I feel so self conscious.

So sorry for the miserable gloomy post, having a real Eyeore moment about my fat little Winnie the Podge belly, it really helps to ‘say it out loud’ to you wonderful supportive people knowing I won’t be judged for how I’m feeling.

I am so happy for everyone who is seeing good results and feeling more on top of recent challenges, I hope you don’t mind if I lean my bulk metaphorically on you for the day and get some support, I’m not doing well on my own today…tomorrow will be better I’m sure but today I’m wearing my sad face😥😥😥

USA (Minnesota) Day 27 NFD
    Congratulations on your new grandson, Back2theFuture! Have fun with OH and family.

Skimming through the posts I’m always struck by how hard people are on themselves, and how kind and encouraging people are towards others. When the day comes we can all be as kind to ourselves as we are to others…….well, what then could we not achieve?
    Stay strong and patient, and kind. 😊 Celebrate even the smallest of victories. Good luck, everyone.

Hi Lany:

You say you started in September and have lost about 7 pounds so far. The average weight loss on 5:2 for women is a little less than a pound a week. So you are right on the average. Your weight loss will not be constant and will not be fast. And you can’t measure your progress by comparing it to that of other people. Just keep on going and you will be fine. You might read this for some perspective: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/

Good Luck!

Hi Lany,

Ok so you need to change things up. Madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the results to somehow be different (Eisenstein). You say youre good with food? I will assume youre eating up to your TDEE on NFDs? If this is the case then I suspect that what is happening is that what you are eating is going to fat storage and that your body has decided its easier to do this and conserve energy rather than making up the deficit by getting energy from fat stores. So you need to be ruthless with the food selections such that it will drastically lower you blood glucose levels. That way insulin levels drop which stops glucose being stored as fat, if you keep you activity at the same level you must access stored fats. To make up the deficit your body must access stored fats to crate gluconeogenesis (i.e. make its own glucose to power your body’s activities).

So describe a NFD food intake? Be honest now. What do you have for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I would go hard core low carb for say 2-3 weeks and see what happens. Have a zero intake of ANY sugar (read food labels VERY carefully, in fact don’t eat ANY packaged/processed food) and simple grain based carbs like bread, pasta, pizza, cakes, biscuits or ANY processed grains. This includes breakfast cereals, muesli bars etc. Go zero rice and potatoes. Get ALL your carbs from cruciferous veggies. Allow yourself to have cheeses, high fat low sugar yogurt. Nuts like almonds, walnuts and brazil nuts for your protein and fat. Make sure you don’t go over your TDEE though, its just that the only carbs you have will come from cruciferous veggies. Try this for 3 weeks. You can do it. Try it, I will be stunned if the weight doesn’t come off.

Go to a diabetics society shop and buy yourself a glucose meter. Measure your blood glucose first thing in the morning before a meal and last thing at night (but at least 3 hours after your last meal). Measure it at the start of your three week “experiment” and during the experiment each day. Your aim is to lower your blood glucose levels. The lower you can get them the better (within reason). You don’t want to go below about 3.9-4.0 mmol/L but I doubt that they will get that low. Low 5s or high 4s would be excellent.

Give it a go, I’ll be staggered if the weight doesn’t start dropping!!

Perth, Australia, Day 28, NFD

FD went well in respect of keeping to it. Same as usual, only the splashes of milk from my coffees (3). However, a combination of emotional fallout from previous day and feeling under the weather from a lurgy, I pretty much didn’t do anything. I was able to make myself go for a 4km walk late in the evening but that was it. Today, I’ve at least left the house already, so I’m off to a good start despite the throat still giving me grief.

Weighed in at 87.5kg today. A 5 kg loss for this challenge and 5.3kg since I started one month ago.
    It is only a 200g loss for the last 6 days, which is a little disappointing but not surprising after the escapades of this week. I have a birthday catchup tonight with an old, dear friend that I already know is going to involve pizza and bubbles. With a wedding on Saturday, I don’t expect to be losing anything further for this challenge.
    Although this month seems like evidence to the contrary I don’t normally drink a lot of alcohol and I can see the impact it has on me, on how I feel, on what it does to my body when I overindulge and importantly, how it upsets my weight loss! Lessons learned.

Sorry for ramble, enjoy your day everyone 🙂

Calgary, Canada day 27, FD fail

NFD Nz second post
    Thanks for the link simcoeluv, it did help.
    Bigbooty I’ve done super low carb high fat moderate protein before, as a vegetarian I found it difficult, and also mentally destructive for me personally to be so obsessed with every tiny bit of carb hiding in my meals. I fully understand the science behind the theory and I don’t eat bread, rice, pasta or potatoes anyway but the remaining carbs in some fruit and vege are not excessive in my diet I don’t think.
    Thanks so much for the advice though I appreciate the support

Day 28, Brussels, NFD

Happy Friday! Weekly weight in today and I managed to get a final drop of the month as well. Scale now show 62,5 kg.

x

Australia Day 28 FD

Day 28, Australia, NFD

Hi Lany,

Hmmmm not sure what you can change up then?? Keep doing the same thing and your likely to get the same results. Was just trying to come up with some alternative that you hadn’t tried. Good luck.

Day 27: Pacific NW USA, NFD with an “Octoberfest” dinner tonight with 2 bratwurst, veg and grilled onions.

Trying my best to get to sleep earlier so will suffice to say I hope things turn around for those who need that to happen and everyone else I hope you keep on keeping on!

Gozo, Malta
    Day 28
    Half fast day

Lany keep going you’ll get to your target. Weight sometimes remains the same and then there’s a drop to it.

Today I’m fasting till noon then going out to supper with my sister in law. I ate low calorie yesterday evening to make it half fast day yesterday.

Happy Friday everyone.

Day 28. Sussex U.K.
    NFD
    I will do my final weigh in on Sunday for this challenge. Feel like I am just treading water now for a couple of months. However, previous to this forum I would have completely ‘given up’. Now there is no giving up. I see Fuvvie, Coda and others who keep on keeping on because this is a way of life. I try , when looking back to hold on to the euphoria that came when I made good choices and felt better for them. We are all here to learn. This week overall has been great but I know I am having too much cream in the coffee and still susceptible to desserts when out for meals with friends.
    Don’t beat yourself up Lany, that way danger lies.
    Back2thef – congratulations on the new grandson. Enjoy. Off to Ireland next week to celebrate two grand children’s birthdays.
    The sun is shining here today so off out with the dog. Let’s see what fun the day brings.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 1,628 total)

You must be logged in to reply.