The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 11,673 total)

• That’s certainly my form of exercise Elaine!
    If you feel like exercise lie down until it wears off….was always my father’s mantra and as he lived until he was 86 I suppose it didn’t do him too badly!!
    Now I am not setting a very good example! πŸ˜‰

Yes, I understand Elaine. I’ve lived in paradise and know how the day to day tends to overwhelm. The heat never quite shows up in pictures.

When we visited Broome in NW Aust, the scenery was idyllic, but the horse flies in the outback were really mean biters. The photos didn’t show the nasty welts on my legs. P πŸ™‚

My dad was a PE instructor in the army during the war. He thought exercise was the solution to everything. He might have been right, but I think the limited number of heartbeats we are all born with (it’s an interesting theory!!!!) might run out if I get too carried away. πŸ˜‰

Looks like your dad and mine were opposite sides of the pole P! My dad was in the navy, he did swim a lot so he wasn’t as slothful as I might suggest!

Hi Purple, Interested to hear how you go with 24 hours fasting.

Well.Bay..I’ve done the 24 hours. Eaten the chilli fish dish..mmm..lips feel like Mick Jagger’s from the chilli and we are relaxing in front of the evening news with a handful eachfof blueberries, almond flakes and a teaspoon of yoghurt with our black coffees. Will report on our sleep patterns in the morning.
    Proud of myself though πŸ™‚ P

You might find this interesting, I found it on ‘Mark’s Daily Apple website’:-
    In female rats:

Any degree of nutritional stress (fasting or mere caloric restriction) causes increased wakefulness (during the day, when they normally sleep), better cognition (for finding food), hyper alertness, and more energy. In short, female rats become better at finding and acquiring food when they fast, as if their bodies aren’t as well-equipped to deal with the stress of going without food. They also become less fertile, while the males actually become hornier and more fertile (probably to account for the females’ plummeting fertility). Ovary size drops (bad for fertility), adrenal gland size increases (which in rats indicates exposure to chronic stress), and menstrual cycles begin to dysregulate in proportion to the degree of caloric restriction.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/#ixzz386iatEX2

Not that we’re rats buddies but interesting as quite a few of us have reported not sleeping so well on fast days. πŸ˜‰

The poor rats…..just found out that they were given their food on the feed day at 10.00am, as they’re nocturnal that’s like being fed at 10pm, then they weren’t fed for another 48 hours and they didn’t volunteer: no wonder they were stressed as an increase in their adrenal gland would indicate. They also had to do tests in mazes and when they were fed they got a whole day’s supply at once, then started again. The things rats have to do!
    I think we might be an experiment in a way, purely an unscientific one as what we say is just anecdotal.

Hi Auri and my MC mates
    I suspect we don’t quite fit into the rat ill treatment scenario. They were fed at 10 am as it suited the laboratory assistants. I’d bite someone’s head off if they starved me for 48 hours then woke me in the middle of the night to eat!!!!

Now, my lab rat report:
    Fasted for 24 hours yesterday. Ate 400 cals and a black coffee at 7pm. Was asleep by 10pm. One ‘pit stop’ during the night and slept like a baby until the alarm woke me at 6pm.
    This little rat is not at all stressed, or particularly hungry. No rush for breakfast.
    Cheers P

Good morning to you fellow rat I am glad you had a good sleep PVE .My turn now almost πŸ™‚
    I am just going to do a spot of reading then going to sleep. Doing another fast tomorrow to rid myself of the holiday weight which is still clinging on. Enjoy the day P and bayleafoz down under! Auri x

Hi Auriga
    I slept 8 hours last night, my usual excellent sleep after a fast. I have found out that I really don’t sleep as well on a non fast day, if I over indulge. These days it takes far less food to feel over indulged. πŸ™‚

Hi purple, sounds like my kind of chili dish πŸ™‚

Hi Bay
    Should I overindulge to the max today to do a reasonable control experiment on fast/non fast sleeping patterns? I’m willing…;) P

You’ll be asleep by now (just read your post). Sleep well, Auri and enjoy your B2B fasts. P πŸ™‚

I am still awake and I say yes!

I slept well. Another 8 hours. I weighed in this morning at 59 kg , a weight not seen for 25 years. πŸ™‚

Off to the airport and farewell to the warmth for some time πŸ™‚

Well done on the 59kg, we could almost have been re-named “the under 60 club” but that wld be a bit dishonest (age-wise) for some of us;-) καλό ταξίδι – which is Greek (Kalo Taxiidi) for have a good journey:-)

I fasted yesterday for the first time in what seems like ages, been maintaining on 16/8 plus an eye on the calories. Had two meals yesterday at 2pm and 7.30pm both consisting of boiled greens, tomatoe, cucumber, onion and and a small bit of feta (gotta have a bit of protein). To my dismay I’m a pound and a half up this morning:-(

Bay…fantastic news! I’ve been off the air much of the day. Just saw your post!
    As Elaine says, this is fast becoming the under 60 club. I think JIP is close, if not there too.
    Are you going to do as I did when I hit 59? We chose a gorgeous French restaurant for a slap up feed, but ended up choosing tiny portions!
    Enjoy your celebrations. I’m dancing in the car πŸ™‚ P

Good morning buddies!
    Have a good trip bayleafoz and how is the overindulge experiment going PVE?
    I weighed in at 56.9k this morning and about to fast most of the day πŸ™‚

I didn’t get a notification of your post Elaine and have only just read it. I think that you’ll find it’s just water weight , so don’t dismay!

Elaine, you know how our weight naturally goes up and down. You’ll be fine.
    As to the over indulging experiment. Not going very well. I keep forgetting to eat.
    Did have mushies tomatoes and leek on toast with some crumbles of blue cheese for a late breakfast. I wasn’t hungry after the fast, but felt I should for experimental purposes.
    Had a late salad of lettuce tomatoes olives veg patties and hummus. For a/t I indulged in a small iced cake (for the experiment you understand). I’m picking the fella up in the city now, hoping to take him out to an Italian joint somewhere in the inner city. I’d better have some red (for the experiment) and I’ll trust him to drive my baby home πŸ™‚
    Further data re consumption and sleep tomorrow. Gosh I love knowing I can do this and stay under 60!!! Cheers all P

Have a great evening P !

I’ll try Auri.The sun just set over the Harbour. A beautiful beautiful sight. I’m so lucky to live in this gorgeous city. Now to pick up the boy and eat for science. ..
    Have a happy day all. P

You are very, very lucky PVE ! Enjoy! I might get there one day too πŸ™‚

The meeting after our Greek one ?

Yes P! Got to plan ahead! But I really might visit Sydney too when my son emigrates to Australia!

Hello Buddies πŸ™‚
    well i havnt said a lot since i joined you , i have been busy , the good thing about retirment is i just dont know how i ever found the time to go to work lol

ok I am 61 , married to Liz , 3 children all grown up and fled the nest, 3 granddaughters, 15 yrs , 4 yrs and 2 yrs .
    I did 15yrs in the Army ending up a Sergeant , I served with the Queens Lancashire Regiment ,
    then i did 20yrs as a Prison Officer (Screw) at Strangeways
    now am retired
    Love reading , gardening and best of all i love football
    Rochdale AFC we got promoted last season and we now play in league 1
    thats sounds like enough for now
    oh yes i am on face book and if you want to friend me please do you can find me as Kenneth Livesey i am the one with the Rochdale football shirt on

right i look forward to your replies on my potted history ha ha πŸ™‚

oh yes i am still doing the 5:2 for the next couple of weeks

Hello Ken nice to hear from you again. I can’t say I am a football fan but love gardening as you do.
    It looks like you haven’t lived a sheltered life, you must have seen and done some interesting things in the army and as a prison officer.
    We are trying an experiment to see if fasting or overindulging affects our sleep patterns/quality…..well actually only PVE and I at the moment. Do you fancy being our token male?
    It would be great to hear if you have noticed any effects. We’re a curious bunch πŸ™‚

Pressure’ s on! Hubby driving my car home. Had anti pasti, half a pizza and 1/4 of pannacotta and strawberry coulis, 1/1 bottlefof chianti snd a machiato. Let’s see hiw I sleep.
    How about you Auri?

Oh, AND Auri, I opened the roof (10deg) and turned the radio up (purely for scientific purposes) as my husband maneuvered the baby Fiat through the traffic. Hey…a girl’s just gotta have fun (for science) πŸ˜‰ P

Ha ha, I like to be properly introduce before the first sleep-over! After all I am still a reticent English rose (London, Fulham) born and bred, regardless of my current Infactuation with Greece…

My words exactly Ken, where did we ever find the time to work! You certainly have lived an interesting life – the Army AND Strangeways – like Auriga says you must have seen some things! It’s just goes to show though that no matter how much self-control and discipline we might need to conjure up within our careers, food and drink can still prove a weakness for the best of us!

Hi Purple and Elaine and Auriga

Thanks for the kind words on dipping under the magic 60 kg. such a supportive bunch!

Purple, how did the over indulge experiment go? Sounded a blast πŸ™‚

Hi All.

Trying to find time to at least keep up, if not contribute, whilst away.

Weather’s amazing, so it really does feel like a holiday. Doing plenty of walking, and not really overeating. The problem for me is that I am not in control of my own food. Breakfast options are carb heavy (cereals, toast), lunch tends to be bread-based, and evening meals are finished off with pudding. So even if I don’t gain fat, I am already feeling bloated and sluggish from carbs. Not even half way through the week and I’m craving yoghurt and looking forward to getting back to my own food choices and fasting!

Congrats Bay on dipping under 60. Please don’t tell me you’re 5ft4 also?!

And Ken, don’t think we’ve said hello yet. I’ll be a more regular contributor from next week.

Right, once more into the breach….

good afternoon all buddies
    Auriga i take a sleepin tab at night so i Dont think i could be much had to you. Sorry hun
    Lookin forwafd to chattin with u happy
    Elaine yesi have seen a few sights.
    Ok hope u all have a god day. Catch u all soon
    Luv
    Ken
    x

I hope you’re having a good sleep PVE….catch you in a few hours. πŸ™‚

Ken do you take a sleeping tablet because you found it hard to sleep whilst doing 5:2 or is it a long term thing? You don’t have to say just interested. Auri x

Hello Ken and welcome to our merry crew. Sorry it took me a while to say hi…I was busy concentrating on the experiment and typing while passenger in the car at night proved to be difficult. You can tell by the errors! Look forward to your maintenance insights.

So pleased the weather is favouring your Scottish sojourn, Happy.

Poor little shy English rose, Elaine πŸ˜‰ I guess we’ll just have to book accommodation nearby. Still, a Greek meeting with this lot could be a riot!

Now, Auri and B, my report. Fell asleep fairly quickly, but woke two hours later and then often for the rest of the night. Have a really crap headache (that’s a technical term πŸ˜‰ ). Just got up to take some Nurofen Plus. Pretty annoying as I have a busy day in the city today.

So my initial finding. ..totally anecdotal. …as an experienced faster, I sleep better on a fast day.

Have a happy day at home B and sleep well my other mates. P

Hi Bay
    It’s easier to reply here than on LOACA. I didn’t see your post there until just now (8 hours later). It’s SO busy!
    I was determined when I started fasting to have a distant goal. It became “below 60 in one year”. I did it on the day of my anniversary! Since then, months ago, I have hit the heady low of 58. I tend to move between 58-60. Suits me πŸ™‚ Enjoy your Weds and keep dancing…has to be good for you and will keep you warm. Cheers P

Hi Happy

I am indeed 5 ft 4 inches. Aka 162 cm. I haven’t come clean about the 60 kg. it was a momentary rush of blood to the head. As with all good weight loss, the first time I hit a number it is usually illusory. I fasted Monday and it was a Tuesday morning weight measure. However, once having seen the under 60 kg on the scales, I know the goal is within reach. My goal was only ever to be on the right side of 60 kg. with my BMI at 23.

So onwards and downwards as Boo says. πŸ™‚ I suspect I’ll reach the true goal within the next 10 days.

Thanks, Purple, as ever for your support and sharing such fun with us πŸ™‚ loved your description!

Bother. Darn with the autocorrect! What I wrote was “I have to come clean about the 60 kg being illusory for now”. Grrrr!

I am sitting at home with the jackhammers breaking up the existing old, chipped tiles. So that the tiler can come in and lay new tiles next week. I think I’m voting for a lovely Thai meal out tonight in our local friendly cafe. πŸ™‚ then a fast day tomorrow. Happy days, all.

At least the sun is shining and it’s warm inside the windows. πŸ™‚ I shall be like a bear with a sore head after this. Sorry to hear about your headache, Purple. Hope you get lots of TLC. πŸ™‚

Morning gang! It’s 5:45am and I have been awake since 4 am ……after a twenty four hour fast on Sunday, a restricted calorie day of 700 cals Monday, and another 24 hr fast yesterday the effect on my sleep pattern is quite profound! Actually I am not that tired though.
    I hope your headache is better PVE?
    I shall sit in bed and relax for a bit longer.

Oh poor Auriga. I hope you can go back to bed later today. My head was cured by the drugs thanks.
    Lovely sunny day here. Caught up with some friends I hadn’t seen in a while. How do you respond when they say ‘you look great, but when are you going to stop? ‘ or ‘Hi skinny’ What do I say? ‘Hi fatty. When are you going to start? ‘
    P πŸ˜‰

You made me laugh PVE! It would be great to say, ” Hi fatty when are you going to start! ” wouldn’t it just! I’d love to say that sometimes…. Seems cruel though doesn’t it! Oh well we can just be smug instead!

No B! You measured 59. So you are 59. Hope the Thai meal is good and the tile removal isn’t too dusty.
    On the train home from town. .nearly asleep. I hope I wake up for my station.
    P πŸ™‚

I just love you gals. Permission to be sinful πŸ™‚ P, hope you don’t sleep through your station. Must be the after effects of the over indulge day πŸ™‚ B

The tile removal is one third done. Even with the plastic paint drop sheets hanging from the ceiling, dust has infiltrated. However, it could have been far worse. It was a lovely sunny day and we took shifts to be here. OH wore his power drill ear muffs, industrial strength. πŸ™‚

Another day and a half to go. We are off to the Burmese Thai restaurant for a 7 pm dinner. Meantime I have had a few tiny pieces of chocolate, the refuge of all downtrodden. Hehe! Have already made my chicken and veg soup for tomorrow fast day, as the kitchen will be under siege by jackhammer. πŸ™‚

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.