stitches and bloated/burping/gas

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
stitches and bloated/burping/gas

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  fast_fraser 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hello all,

I’m new to the forum so be easy on me!

I recently (about 5 weeks) took up the fast diet, I had read the book and wanted to reap the rewards – I look and feel better (well, I was feeling better). I was already average build and weight and worked out fairly regularly. Throughout my life (26 years) I have suffered from heartburn/ indigestion and take prescription meds for this (omeprazole, similar to ranatadine).

Most recently I have been experiencing a new feeling in my chest, it is like a runners stitch, but I get this from sitting at my desk, driving all the time really. At times I also feel bloated and have increased gas, burping and flatulence. I’m hoping to find out if anyone has had similar experiences.

The stitch feeling is causing me to stop exercising at the moment as exercise is difficult as it persists. I have had an appointment with my GP but we haven’t nailed the problem down. They have given me some IBS meds and also I am down for a blood test next week.

Cheers
    FF

Hi Fast Fraser,

I had much the same awful symptoms and was diagnosed with IBS. However, I didn’t have any stitch like pain. I found on fast days symptoms had reduced. I am also gluten free which made a big difference. More recently I identified as dairy as a trigger food (am veggies so LOVE cheese) but now using rice milk and lactose free cheese. If you do have IBS then check out the FODMAP diet, sorry if you are already aware of all this. Please let me know how you get on?

Hi there, I have this. I have IBS anyway, but right now I have a stitch-like pain on my left side under my ribs. It comes and goes. I just tried doubling my water intake. How was this resolved with you, if you do not mind me asking?

First see your Dr and get it checked out.

Lot’s of things it could be: from bile production to gall stones to bacteria in the gut that is causing issues or it may be that you have bowel issues. Constipation from fasting are frequent, if your bowels have slowed you can try Restoralax or add psyllium to your morning routine and drink lots of water if you do either of these. Lots of water while fasting is required also.

IBS is no fun I had it for many years and it could be debilitating to me at times. I got lucky in that with alternative medicine, a naturopath, diet changes, stress reduction, acupuncture, and probiotics the symptoms and effects slowly regressed and then disappeared. I’ve been symptom free for over 11 years now.

Thanks for your reply. It is appreciated.

Hello all,

Since the 3rd of December I have seen my Doctor and they have determined that I have poor LF (liver function). I am currently waiting on a ultrasound, but, it is suspected that I have gallstones – as QuietOne suggested.

The symptoms I first reported are not quite as bad the last couple of weeks but they come and go in severity frequently (symptomatic of gallstones). Nobody seems to think that intermittent fasting has set this off and I am still currently living the fast diet lifestyle. The registrar did mention that – in some cases – extended fasting has been shown to be a possible cause of gallstones, but unlikely for the periods of fasting I have subjected myself to.

I’m now trying to find and exercise regime that keeps me at the level of fitness and strength training I’m looking for but more manageable with any pain.

Any more news and I will let you know. thank you all!

FF

Hi all,

Fast Fraser, I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. The liver is a great organ and does try to repair itself. Wish my brain did the same. I have heard gallstones are very painful but I don’t really know much more. I hope that everything goes okay.

QquietOne and Limeywestlake, IBS appears to be very common but for some reason not spoken about openly. Since I have spoken about it more and more people have said that they also have that diagnosis. It is awful, hated the bloating as I look pregnant. Not a good look when I already have a jelly belly.

Well, I went to see a doctor at the walk-in clinic and he said that it likely nothing and I should take some Tylenol until the pain goes away. Yeah, the Canadian healthcare system is great…

To keep people informed I have now been diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis, so it doesn’t seem like a by-product of fasting just bad luck I guess. Still fasting and enjoying it. I’m now just planning to take everyday as it comes and live the best I can. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.