Starting 16:8 advice needed

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tinkerbell374 10 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi, I am interested in doing the 16:8 fast and would appreciate some guidelines.. I understand that you choose a 8hr eating window and fast for 16 hrs… in the 8 hour period do I consume all my Tdee calories or do I have to make a reduction. The reasons I ask this is I usually do 5:2 diet, with 2 500 cals fasts then eat my tdee on the other 5 days. I was just wondering if you lose weight by doing 16:8 seven days a week…hope I’ve explained it ok :-). Thanks x

Hi:

All 16:8 means is that you eat what you are going to eat for that day in an 8 hour timeframe of your choice.

It depends on what your goal is.

If you want to gain weight, eat more than your TDEE during the 8 hour period.

If you want to maintain your current weight, eat at your TDEE during the 8 hour period

If you want to lose weight, eat less than your TDEE during the 8 hour period.

To do any of the above, you need to know your TDEE and count the calories you eat during the 8 hour period.

Eating only during an 8 hour period, by itself, does nothing to help or hinder weight loss. It is how much you eat during the period that counts (just the same as any period of time during any day).

Good Luck!

Thankyou for your reply 🙂 I want to lose weight doing the 16:8 and read that you reduce your tdee by 20%? Is that correct and how many days do you reduce it for? Many thanks 🙂

Hi again:

It is simply a matter of calorie counting. If you have a TDEE of 1800 and eat 3600 during your 8 hour eating windows, you will gain weight. If you eat 1200, you will lose weight. Here is how TDEE works: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

16:8 is simply a standard every day reduced calorie diet. The less you eat, the more you lose. You choose how much less to eat, which will dictate how fast you lose. The link above will allow you to estimate your weight loss given the number of calories you choose to eat.

Good Luck!

Keep in mind your BMR though which you shouldn’t eat below because that is the amount of calories your body needs to simply function. Aim for somewhere between BMR and TDEE knowing that if you eat less than TDEE, you will lose weight.

Thankyou for reminding me that, as the figure I worked out ie my TDEE minus 20% would have taken me lower than my BMR, so I only cut it by 10% and it seems to be working well 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.