Sleeping Issues

This topic contains 55 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  victoriacam221 2 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)

• I’m on my second attempt at the Fast Diet. My aims are to lose body fat and maintain a steady weight. I find the fasting easy and go for a 4 : 3 regime. I am a poor sleeper at the best of times, averaging about 6 hours sleep a night, but the Fast Diet has made things much worse. I’ve had nights without any sleep at all and I cannot envisage keeping on the diet long term. The disruption in sleep happens on most fast days regardless of the amount of exercise I do. I’ve read through the posts and not found anything to cheer me. I’m considering adopting a ‘normal’ weight loss regime and including one fast day. Would I still get the benefits of intermittent fasting this way? In the past I’ve lost muscle and don’t want this to happen again.

Well, I did a fast diet. Initially 5:2, then much less extreme over time. I of course did consult a doctor. After 40 years of normal sleep, my problems began with this diet. And as I said, a leading expert (perhaps the #1 expert in this area, who is often cited in support of calorie restriction diets), told me that actual fasting is likely to be dangerous to sleep because it disrupts circadian rhythms that are maintained by food consumption. If the same people who promote calorie restriction based on their science are also telling me to not eat at different times due to risks to sleep, and if it turns out that my sleep was indeed destroyed when I started doing this, I tend to believe the expert.

Try different ways of entering ketosis. For example, eat a protein/fat only diet for dinner (e.g., salmon, beans, meat) and also for breakfast (yogurt, eggs). I changed to this and things improved. I didn’t get the radically quick weight loss like before, but I actually weight exactly what I did when fasting. It just took a little longer.

A sleep disorder is a condition that frequently impacts your ability to get enough quality sleep. While it’s normal to occasionally experience difficulties sleeping, it’s not normal to regularly have problems getting to sleep at night, to wake up feeling exhausted, or to feel sleepy during the day.

Hi Everyone,

Anxiety, stress, and depression are some of the most common causes of the sleeping disorder. Other common emotional and psychological causes include anger, worry, grief, bipolar disorder, and trauma.

I just read your post with interest and sympathy. I have been a poor sleeper for many years but after adopting the Fast Diet the problems have worsened alarmingly. I rarely get more than 3 hours sleep on a fast day and sometimes non at all. I’ve tried everything, including melatonin, but nothing has worked. I cannot sustain this long-term and need to find an alternative diet.

TiredStephen – sorry to hear about your sleep issues. I too have my sleep affected by 5:2. Dr Longo in his Longevity Diet book does address this issue directly and speculates that 5:2 may cause jet-lag like symptoms in some people. I’ve been doing 5:2 about 8 months and I have found that my sleep is slowly improving but I still wake earlier than I used to. I have found recently that eating carbs in my evening meal helps. Unprocessed – eg a root vegetable stew – low enough in cals even for a fast day if prepared without oil. I know lots of people tend to avoid carbs but perhaps they are not all bad?

Maybe you should try the Fasting Mimicking Diet for a bit? 3-5 days of fasting once a quarter or once a month. It is a good weight-loss programme if done once a month – a little slower than 5:2 but possibly more health benefits?
    Both Penguin and Diverdog have tried these and done well. You would get the benefits of fasting, which seem so much better than daily calorie restriction, and possibly less disruption to your sleep?

Good luck in finding something that works and let me know when you do!

Zopiclone tablets are highly effective at treating insomnia and increasing total sleep time. Zopiclone pills reduce the time it takes to nod off and that they prevent nocturnal awakenings so you’ll get the recommended 7 to 9 hours of restful sleep. This medication is most beneficial when utilized in the short term as long-term use may result in dependency.
    https://zopicon.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply.