Safe body fat target?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Mitch 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Hi all

After 6 months on the fast diet I’ve come to appreciate that I can control my weight and body fat percentage (which I check on Omron body fat scales). Watching that body fat figure come down has been especially satisfying (from 25.4% to 15%) and I believe it’s a better way of understanding your fitness than BMI alone.

Now… I don’t want to get all anorexic so I’m wondering what is a good sensible target to stick to for body fat? There’s not too much wrong with my figure now apart from some tummy fat and a tiny bit of double chin. So I’m debating whether to stick at 15% or target getting down to 12% or 10 or whatever is “optimum”. I’ve tried googling this subject and though plenty of info out there I don’t see any clear recommendations. My current BMI is 20.0 but I have very skinny bones (wrists like a ballerina!) so I don’t think that tells the whole story.

I’m male, 40 yrs old by the way and have lost 2 stone since April on this diet.

Hi Mitch, 15% is pretty darned good body fat percentage. I did a quick google search and this site http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/ gives a good chart showing healthy body fat percentages for both men and women.

Saw an episode of Ninja Warrior on TV where one of the competitors had 3% body fat. Not an ideal look (well not from my perspective anyway). The charts list 3% being essential.

Thanks for the inspiration to look the percentages up – I’d been meaning to check the healthy fat percentage for women – and now I know (21 – 31% is in a good range). (And I don’t like how it described my current level of body fat 🙁

GG

The images are even better than the charts.
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

Look at them and read the little descriptions that accompany them. I find this at least as enlightening as BMI.

I have also had my body fat % assessed on an upmarket Tanita body composition scale. 15- 18% depending on body type algorithm (average vs athletic)chosen. And I am a 62 year old woman with a BMI of 20, so you can see why I have decided that I have reached my minimum healthy weight.

Hey Mitch!

To be honest, if you’ve already googled so much yourself and still don’t have a clear answer… see your doctor. Your doctor is the one who can do measurements, do a full body fat measurement (scales tend to measure your lower body only) and tell you what’s the best way to go.

Hello,
    I am not sure if this answers your question, but I wondered if you are aware that the current medical view is that one should aim for a waist measurement of less than half your height.I am aiming to follow this as I have lost 10Kg(23lbs) and am trying to find the weight that suits me.

Hey Annette, I don’t think that has a whole lot to do with this question 😉 I also am unsure to whether that’s a good measuring tool, because people have different builds and all that. But I guess it’s a good thing to aim at.

Hi all

Thanks for your help and in particular aitch51 that’s a very interesting link. I think it gives me my answer that for me a good target is anywhere between my current 15% and 12% – no lower. The thing about this diet is it’s so effective at burning fat that each of us needs to consider when to stop, and using body fat percentage to judge this is probably a good way.

It’s just a shame not to be able to go on with 5:2 indefinately but I guess Dr Michael’s “maintenance dose” approach of 6:1 once target reached is the way to go.

ghostgirl

oooh great site worth repeating

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

i’m a 40% the image exactly my body
    still a way 2 go

Mitch congrats on ur 20%

ghostgirl

please post/reply it on this link 4 all

everything a newbie/poster might want 2 c, use & read

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/everything-a-newbie-might-want-2-c-use-read/

it will help

thanks

usa

oops also aitch51

It would be interesting to know what fat %age Michael reached before he decided to switch to 6:1 because his family said he was “too gaunt”. I think people need guidance on when to desist from this diet, because 5:2 doesn’t seem to be sustainable in the long term and without clear guidelines it’s possible some will take it too far and damage their health. Would be great if Michael or Mimi notice this and comment.

Actually Mitch, I think both 5:2 and 6:1 are sustainable in the long run. 4:3 may be too extreme, but if for example I am at my target weight and find out I have a TDEE of 1600 I will probably stick to 5:2 and go a bit over my TDEE on normal days so I can keep on living the way I want and enjoy whilst maintaining my weight.

Remember a lot of people just see weightloss as a bonus, and do it for the other health benefits that come with it. Fasting is not unhealthy for lean people.

Ooops, I slipped a bit..! I got ill, three weeks ago so stopped fasting until I recovered. Then with Christmas, which I always intended would be a fasting-free-zone, it’s over three weeks since I fasted and I’m back up to 16.6% body fat.. Surprising how quickly the fat goes back on!

But I will be starting afresh next week once back at work and hopefully not too long before I’m back down to 15% and maybe below. I guess I’ll find out whether 5:2 is indeed sustainable and if my body fat plateaus.

Ps thanks for your reply Nika. I see where you’re coming from with that, so hope to make fasting a long term thing for myself as I love the thin feeling.

16.6% bodyfat… Geez, I’m still hoping to someday get down to 20. Then again I’m a woman, so my % will always be higher, but still 😉
    And yeah, just pick yourself up and get going again. I always notice that weight I put on one week tends to get off the next one quite easily.

Well I’m down to 13.1% now and still not sure where to stop. I wanted this diet to rid me of my belly completely, yet it still sticks out a bit. My visceral fat on the omron scales is down to 2 (from 7 at the outset) so I know my insides are healthier, it’s just the flat tummy I crave. Maybe I need some exercises to help the saggy tummy!

Some official guidance from the creators of the diet as to where it should be stopped would be useful, since as far as I can see the fast diet results in a continuous loss of body fat there has to be some definitive advice on what the “end” looks like. Michael says he switched to 6:1 because his wife said he was looking “dangerously gaunt” yet not all of us have a GP at home to advise on this.

@mitch there are various sites which give healthy body fat % advice and ranges…one of them is
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

I’m not sure that Michael Mosley could be called ‘the creator of this diet’ since various forms of fasting have been around for a very long time.

However, just as there is a ‘healthy’ weight range depending on gender; build; activity etc so there is a ‘healthy’ body fat % range and it’s up to the individual to decide when they are in the range they want to be in.

I don’t see that it’s up to anyone (apart from a GP who can advise) to tell a responsible adult when to stop. It’s up to all of us individually to decide what we want and where we want to be and to use the information available to us to make an informed decision.

Regarding the ‘saggy tummy’ exercises may help to tone and tighten the muscles in that area but unfortunately some of us just have to accept that we have areas of our body which are always going to be ‘saggier’ than we would like. I wish we could pick and choose exactly where we want the weight to come off, but it just doesn’t work like that.

Thanks Sylvestra, I had seen the link before but as the tables contained within it have no optimum figure I guess as you say there isn’t a simple answer to the question. Exercise is no doubt the key to a flatter tummy once you’ve shifted excess fat so I should think about that.

Right, I’ve thought about it, now I’ll go watch some TV instead 😉

@mitch…..it would actually be impossible to give an ‘optimum’ figure for body fat since no two people are built in exactly the same way. So what might be YOUR optimum will not be the optimum for your neighbour.

The range for the ‘average’ man is 18 – 24% and for the ‘average’ woman is 25 – 31% (lower for athletes etc) so if you are between these figures for your gender this will be as close to your ‘optimum’ as anyone can give you. Personally it’s close enough for me.

Thanks Sylvestra. My reading of the body fat charts are that those “average” ranges reflect the average distribution of body fat composition across the whole population, so it doesn’t necessarily seem to follow that the middle of that range can be taken to be a healthy or indeed optimum level. Perhaps that would be the case if as many people in society were underweight as overweight – then the middle is ideal – but we know most people carry too much weight, so surely the optimum range is going to be below the average of the whole population?

I found this an interesting article, with a bit more detail on this subject http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/normal-ranges-of-body-weight-and-body-fat

12-15% seems like a good target range for a man so I’ll try to stick with that.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply.