Resting Energy Expenditures increased in short term starvation

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Resting Energy Expenditures increased in short term starvation

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  In it to thin it 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Extremely interesting article http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/6/1511.long

So it would appear that a 4 day fast might be optimal as Dr. Valter Longo advises. The study was based on 84 hours while the numbers of participants was small the results are truly interesting.

Hi Quiet:

The ‘metabolism speed up’ effect of fasting is mentioned in the FAQ at the top of the page in the ‘Starvation Mode’ discussion, although the belief in the starvation mode is so pervasive that many refuse to believe it does not exist. The increase of norepinephrine is sometimes the cause of the insomnia some people experience when starting 5:2, as I discussed in my 13 Dec 14 post in this thread: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

The interesting thing for those that think not eating for a few hours will lower insulin levels was this finding: “Serum insulin was lower on days 3 and 4 than on days 1 and 2; however, this result was not significant.” The measured insulin levels (pmol/L) were: Day 1 – 71; Day 2 – 71; Day 3 – 58; Day 4 – 59. This is one reason why fasting is so important when trying to reverse Type 2 diabetes as quickly as possible – as long as blood sugar is being provided via the diet, insulin levels do not fall quickly. That is why Dr. Fung and others start their programs with a one week water fast and keep their patients on a ketogenic diet thereafter (as much as the patients will let then, anyway).

I was tickled to see that study in that what I believed was happening and what I had read on 5:2 fasting was really occurring increased energy expenditure without doing any increase in anything other than not consuming food for a longer period of time. Getting something for nothing is pretty good for me.

Before I started 5:2 I was pre-diabetic and the Drs were looking at putting me on metformin. Fasting has lowered my blood sugars significantly enough that I’m in the low normal range. With no signs of insulin resistance. For me that happened fairly quickly.

2 months into the 5:2 pattern of eating I started lengthening the time of fasts. 3 days, then 4 and have been at one 5 day water fast a month for the past 6 months. I am contemplating a 7 day water fast but I’m a bit nervous for some reason and until that nervousness subsides I won’t do it.

It takes me 3 days to return to a normal diet after a 5 day fast. Only on the evening of the 3 day do I eat a normal supper. My delicate re-feeding schedule is probably overly cautious, however my Dr. set it up and I follow it. I’ve had no side effects at all ever. Sad to say my Dr. is leaving in Feb and I’m going to have to hope that one among the new Drs coming in will be as supportive.

I don’t know that I’ve gained any greater benefits than if I would have if I had adhered to 5:2 as written. I do know that I feel better than I have in 17 years or more. I have had great improvements in my health and the quality of life. I can think much clearer and quicker than I have in years. I can certainly think outside the box better. The improvements in my mental ability/acuity actually lead to my choice to continue working and not retire. I enjoy work it’s not a “chore”.

All this may be achievable adhering to 5:2 and I certainly don’t recommend anyone do extended water fasts as I do. There are risks and I’m not a Dr, nor do I give medical advice. What works for me may not work for anyone else we are all different. Your mileage may vary

If it hadn’t been for the documentary Eat Fast Live Longer I wouldn’t be where I am today. In all likelihood I’d be dead and gone my health issues were that serious. Any medical studies you come across on fasting short term, long term, ADF, IF, or anything in between I am open to looking at.

Thanks for all the information and tips you’ve put out there on the forums. They have helped me considerably in adapting to the new pattern of eating, what to expect, what can be accomplished, your tips and encouragement here I do greatly appreciate.

Hi Quiet:

You are welcome.

Maybe you have seen this news article: ‘Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds’ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10878625/Fasting-for-three-days-can-regenerate-entire-immune-system-study-finds.html

Here is the study: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1934590914001519

Longo started with research into longevity, broadened his scope to cancer and apparently was surprised to discover this.

Good Luck.

I have read the study but lost the link it was nice to go back and read it again. Thanks for the link. I’ve book marked it again.

A five day water fast once a month appears to have too much going for it to ignore. I’ll keep doing them, while I haven’t been cured of my diseases the symptoms are greatly reduced. COPD, arthritis, high blood pressure is a thing of the past though I take a low does diuretic daily, high blood sugars have been eliminated, and chronic back pain which required morphine every day is now just a sometime thing of once or maybe twice a month.

It is possible I would have gained all these benefits from straight 5:2 the jury is still out on that. I am so grateful in the improvements and the rise in my quality of life. I can’t see stopping what I’m doing.

Hi Quiet:

Here is a study on long term fasting and high blood pressure: http://www.scribd.com/doc/32727377/Medically-Supervised-Water-only-Fasting-in-the-Treatment-of-Hypertension. It explains how long term fasting is done for this study.

If you have not seen my previous posts, here is a video that explains long term fasting quite well. The study above came from this clinic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOBa_hfbRE. As this is mainstream information on long term fasting, you may already be aware of them, so I offer the study and video just in case you have not run across the information yet.

Hi quiet one and simcoeluv, these are fascinating studies and your health improvements are very impressive, QO. I am especially impressed to hear about the copd improvements as I was already aware of the diabetes and inflammation improvements linked to fasting, but had thought, til I read your results, that copd was one of those irreversible conditions. It is very exciting to read of your improvements breathwise.

I am wondering if a series of water fasts might improve my PCK? You have sparked my interest to try/plan a 3 day water fast.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.