RA and 5:2

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dee664 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hello,

I recently heard about this diet and I was wondering if anyone here has Rheumatoid Arthritis and either were, or are on this diet? I was wondering how you got on with it?

Sadly, I have put on a fair amount of weight over the last few years since I was diagnosed and have tried many things to try and loose it. After hearing about this diet it sounds perfect for me. I’m also hoping if this works for me, I can finally keep the doctors off my back a bit and also feel the benefits for my condition.

I lost alot of confidence when I was diagnosed and even more now since the weight piled on, it would be nice to get back to a good place 🙂

Thank you (and apologies if this has been asked somewhere else on the forums)

Shizuka x

Hi and welcome. I don’t have RA but I think this way of life will work for most folks. just wanted t wish you luck and encourage you to give it a try. you may not loose quickly, especially if you take steroids for your RA, but give it some time. Read all around the forum and you will get lots ideas and encouragement. keep us posted on how you are doing. Phyllis

HI Shizuka. I was recently Dx with RA, have been unwell since August 14. I am taking sulfasalazine and I think it is working – early days yet. Before getting this illness, I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I started doing the 5:2 diet for weight reasons (I was very sedantry) in April 2013 and it was working. However I found the 5:2 too gruelling after a while, so started another intermitent fast called the 8 hour diet where I fast for 16 hours and eat for 8. It’s easy to find on google. Since my RA Dx I have continued to fast. I have NO idea now if it’s helpful, but think it probably is as I don’t have extra issues with cholestrol or blood sugars etc., and given my age mid 50s, that’s good. Since having RA I have been losing weight without trying and the sulfasalazine adds to this. Also, given that I got RA while fasting, makes me wonder about it’s benefits. However, there are studies that show that fasting has major benefits for RA sufferers, but this often reverses when fasting is ceased. I’d be interested to know if you started fasting and what your experience has been. You posted a long while ago, this message might not get to you. Kind regards, Ann.

Hi Shizuka, I’ve had RA for a few years now and have humira injections and occasional steroid injections. My weight has increased over the years and I have decided to start the 5:2 diet on Monday 12 Jan. I’m also a little worried how it may affect my RA but am determined to give it a go! Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.