Question on calories

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cje 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Hi.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I cannot seem to find an answer.

I was taught that protein has four calories per gram, but I cannot see this carried over into the recipies – for example one of the breakfasts calls for 100g of smoked salmon, but the book says that the total calorie count is way below the 400 calories that I would expect.

What am I missing?

Yes you are correct, protein has 4 Cals per gram, fat 9 Cals per gram, carb/ sugar 4 Cals per gram and alcohol 4 Cals per g or millilitre (ml) approx.
    Smoked salmon has approx 23% protein so 23g protein in a 100g pack = 4 Cals x 23g = 92 Cals in a 100g pack.
    But, it also has approx 14% fat so 14g fat in a 100g pack = 9 Cals x 14g = 126 Cals in a 100g pack.
    Barely any carb. Approx 2.5-3% salt (zero Cals). The rest is moisture (water) which is present in all wet food.

So, 100g pack of smoked salmon has 92 Cals from protein and and 126 Cals from fat = 218 Cals per 100g pack depending on brand.

A ‘normal’ portion would be 2 ounces or approx 50g so HALF a 100g pack (usually 2 slices). The whole 100g in the pack is not protein, I thinks thats where you are misunderstanding. A 50g or 2 slice portion = approx 109 Cals.

Hope this helps! I work for a smoked salmon company!! Yum : O

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.