Over 60? It's tough, or is it just me?

This topic contains 518 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 6 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 521 total)

• Pol, that’s good to know…thank you. I just hope I can restart my weight loss and be more mindful of what I’m eating. I inched just above 500 calories yesterday, so I did just fine, and today, I’m eating light in anticipation of our usual Friday night meal at a favorite Mexican restaurant. I love this way of eating and know what I need to stay clear of so I don’t sabotage myself. Your advice to Marie Anne is so true–don’t have anything in the house that’s a tempting trigger.

My next FD is Sunday. I received both of Mimi’s books, so I’ll be picking out a few recipes to make next week, so the NFDs are healthy eating days.

Happy weekend, everyone!

We’ve just come back from a superb restaurant run by an ex-pupil. He dies lovely stuff, with layers of favour. We’ve booked it for our U3A Dining Club, so had to go a few times. I d cited to try one of the options he’s given me for dessert. I couldn’t finish it, although it was light. I’m just not used to sweet stuff any more.

Nr, even when I was view by 50 cals, it was still about a quarter of previous consumption! I’m on the border of too thin now. But still have a floppy tummy, a.beit measuring a full 10 inches less than April 2016! Yea, gods, I was too ashamed to tell OH my measurements!

Pol.

1st post on here… so here goes. I am 63 years old, male and just finished my 1st month. 8 fasts. Lost 9 lbs and am pretty happy with that.

The fasting days have been relatively easy for me – I do find that eating late in the day works better for me than eating earlier. My feed days are harder for me than the fast days as I am concerned of not going to much back. Some days early on I have eaten to much junk but have found I have slowly cut this down. I also, find that I am skipping or prolonging eating breakfast.

Month 2 is next Monday and this month I will start to integrate exercise. The plan is for some spin biking at home and Daily burn for about 30 minutes a day at least 5 days per week. Hopefully this will keep the weight and fat coming off. My present goal is another 15 lb loss.

Hi Mddharma,
    THis is my first post on this thread too.I am turning 60 this year and really struggling to get back to a place where I feel happy with what I eat and how I look and feel. Aging has brought with it some health concerns and I am doing 52 for the health benefits as well as the weight loss.

I echo your experience with avoiding food til mid day or later, otherwise early eating, particularly of carbs, can awaken the hunger dragon.

I would like to do some exercise, but recently herniated 3 discs in a skiing accident so not able to tolerate much right now. Will you be incorporating HITT in your exercise plan? I am hoping to get back to a more active lifestyle in a few months. Will start back to swimming soon,I hope.

I live in Canada, bracing for another snowfall tonight. Where are you located?

Hello In it to thin it …

For the next month I will just be acclimating my self just to the habit of the 5 days a week of exercise. On the spin bike I will just be starting with about 20 minutes at a time at whatever pace allows me to complete the time. The Daily burn workouts are anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes for the beginner program. My main goal is to solidify the habit.

On one of the forums a member mentioned watching some videos from Butter Bob – they are very interesting and inspiring. I have also listened to the 5:2 Diet podcast with Kate Harrison – which is good as well. I try to daily feed my head with these things to keep the motivation going as well as giving me insights on staying on track.

I live in Hagerstown Maryland.

Hi all, just checking in & hope everyone is doing well. Today is a FD for me and I’m actually looking forward to it. I feel my body needs a well deserved rest. Eating a bit too much on NFDs all week long and last night my DH and I went out to dinner with his business partner & wife and we indulged. So, today, I will be doing coffee, tea and sparkling water until my dinnertime minestrone soup. DH is playing tennis, so I’ll take our pups out for a nice long walk. We have temps in the 70’s today πŸ™‚

Wishing everyone a relaxing Sunday.

Hi, to our two newbies from wet North Wales, where I am envying nr’s 70 degrees.

We had our U3A dinner at ex-pupil’s restaurant on Thursday and it went down as well as I expected. For the first time since I started 5:2 I actually ate three courses. However, I had suggested that he makes them on the smaller size, more lunchtime portions, so that worked.

I had my breakfast at 1pm as usual. It’s a bad day today for me, though. Horrible weather and only boring jobs to do, so I’m longing for one of the small chocolate bars stashed in the fridge. They’ve been there for over a month, but are calling me today. Perhaps the confession will make me strong enough to resist. I put on a pound this week, but am still under my amended, downwards target.

Pol

Hi Polly, Northrancher,and Mddharma, Thanks for the welcome.

Woke up to a blizzard happening here this morning-it’s pretty but I am tired of winter, enough already! Cold weather always has me looking for comfort foods so will have to keep myself busy with housework and snow shoveling so I don’t get myself into trouble today.

I have watched the ButterBob videos which are pretty entertaining. Will look for the podcasts as it is nice to have some reinforcing inspiration so thanks for sharing that info mddharma.

Pollyanna I would eat some of that chocolate, but only enough to satisfy the urge.

Morning, everyone. The thread has gone very quiet. How are you all doing?

We’re ticking over, with me still maintaining, OH still evading settling down to that final stone loss. It’s proving expensive, with three new pairs of trousers for him and loads for undies for me.

PolπŸ™‹πŸΌ

Hi Pol! Thank you for reviving the thread & nudging us:) I’m glad you did, because I’m needing a new start. Last night, I checked my lab work numbers again online (taken a few months ago) and noticed my doctor ordered add’l testing on my cholesterol & I hadn’t seen the results. The numbers were all in red and my glucose was elevated into a pre-diabetes category. He wants to see me again in May, so I need to do everything I can to turn this around, because I don’t want to go on meds, if I can avoid it. That’s all the motivation I need to get serious, since diabetes & heart disease run in my family. I think having “the reason” for the 5:2 or any other eating plan is what was missing for me other than a general feeling of needing to get healthier and lose weight. So, that’s where I’m at. I’m watching Dr. Moseley’s video again this morning and planning meals for DH and I for the week. My DH is doing much better than me on FDs and he’s feeling so much better.

Also, I read a news report that Dr. Moseley has upped the calories for FDs to 800, saying there was no real difference in weight loss between 500 and 800. Have you heard that?

Stay safe and warm today, in it to thin it!

Hi, all.

I have heard about 800 calories, but only in the reverse diabetes diet, otherwise Newcastle. Not convinced that it works, though. I don’t know about IF on 800, it might be easier initially. I hope you can turn things around before you see your doctor. Avoiding any sort of medication is best, especially when you think of travel insurance costs!

Where are you, in it to thin it? My son and co are in Princeton. The boys were excited about having some snow. Probably stir crazy by now as they wont be going to school and crèche today. Son and daughter in law will be taking turns to work at home.

Pol.

Been a few weeks since I have posted.

Just finished 2nd month – 16 fasts – 2 per week. Now down almost 16 lbs – just a little under 2lbs a week. I am pleasantly surprised of the results – and this has been the best plan I have ever used.

Have only had one fast day where thoughts of food swarmed in my mind a lot, but had a lot of stress that day and found myself not staying busy. Still stayed under my 600 calories however.

Eating one meal on those days after 6:00 pm has worked for me.

It seems my non-fast days I don’t feel a need or desire to eat early, so on the non-fast days I push my eating back later. I can’t say I am a great clean eater on those days – but I keep trying to move forward with that as well.

After 4 weeks I told myself I would start exercising 5 times a week lightly – but that didn’t happen. Life is what happens when you’re busy making plans as John Lennon once said. However, I am going to make a more concerted effort to make this happen in my next 4 week go.

I have another 9lbs to go for my first goal which was to get down from 214lbs to 190lbs then I will see if I want to add another 5 or 10 to be at my lowest weight in decades.

Wish you all the best in your efforts.

You’re doing well, mddharma. I’m ticking over between 9 st 126 lbs and a couple more. I definitely do not want to go under 126. At our age it’s very easy to look gaunt, as I do on my 50th birthday photos. I’ll be 70 soon and if I could put a pound on each cheek, I would.

How’s everyone else doing? The thread is very quiet. πŸ™‹πŸΌ

First time on this thread, I’m 68 quite fit and within 1stone of my target weight.
    Trying to get back on the 5.2 track! Last year I did really well and lost 2.5st, but since January just haven’t been able to back!
    I’ve put on 7lbs and feel disheartened and annoyed with myself, which is counter productive as I then go for the carbs. My arthritis aches are back and I don’t feel as well as I did.
    I’ve tried to fast on a couple of days last week but caved by about 2pm. This is crazy I know I wont starve! I’m thinking I must up my water intake.
    This morning I have had my kefir, a small banana and some milk in 1 coffee and 1 tea. All before finding this friendly over 60s thread! I’m planning on just drinking water for the rest of the day until a small meal later. I’ve got a 3hour drive soon so will just have water on board! No stops for crisps/choc!
    This has to be a real turning point.

Hi Rocy65-

I’m in the same boat. Have been since Super Bowl Sunday back in February.

I’ve also been trying to get back into my groove for the last 2 weeks. Had one clean week then blew it. Now I’m in another clean week. Or let’s say I’m calling it “clean” despite some minor slips. But I’m headed into my second week still feeling resolved and determined.

This has happened to me before in the 1.25 years I’ve been doing IF. The good thing about IF is I *can* claw my way back even after a couple months of indulgence — along with the attendant size increases. And, *if* I’m beginning to see a pattern it’s getting back to where I was plus making some progress before some big event comes up to trigger another out of control period of debauchery and indulgence.

*If* this becomes my pattern I can live with it.

ANYwaaaay, what I came here to tell you is that it *can* be done and when I get in my groove I find that the pattern becomes very helpful to me. It’s as though my body wants the assurance — that my brain already has — that my periods of fast will be followed by my periods of food and that — once I get my insulin cycle back in control sans the sugar and carbs — I won’t be plagued by the compulsions of insulin-driven faux hunger.

So hang in there. And if it helps to know you have company, I’m out here too putting up the same good fight. And I’ll share your success when we get this rolling again!

Hi! This is my first post on this thread. I’ll turn 64 this year, and yes, it’s harder for me than it was years ago, but I think part of that is because I refuse to starve myself like I did in my younger years. In fact, I’m taking Dr. Mosley’s latest advice and upping my fasting day calories to 800. I don’t care if I lose slowly. We can all do this!

I’m 66 and just completed my second FD after a break of about 18 months. For me, it’s made a big difference to be able to go up to 800 calories (although both times I managed it on only 700). Let’s see how we go!

Hi all! Thought I’d post an update and check in to see how everyone is doing. Welcome to the newbies and good luck! Like a few of you, I’m stalled at the same weight, because I haven’t been doing the program. I guess the good news is that I haven’t gained either. I have noticed that during this period–after doing the program for a couple of months (I think…I’ve lost track), I’m not as hungry, and oftentimes, I’m doing non-intended fasting by naturally skipping a meal or two (because I’m so busy) and then eating dinner. But, on my 3-meal eating days, I’m not eating clean at all. So, that’s my confession and I’m just grateful I haven’t regained the 12 lbs. I lost.

I just went skiing with my family and I came to another realization that I don’t want to carry this weight around anymore. It’s a drag on my poor knees and heart. I was huffing and puffing the whole way. So, that’s another aha moment and my doctor’s appointment is quickly approaching. So, Sunday is my restart and I’ll be back on IF.

Hope you all are enjoying spring weather. Take good care!

Hi, chubster, NR and newbies. I’ve been maintaining for six months, now and coming up to my anniversary date on 5:2.
    Like NR, OH and I have found that our appetites reduced quite quickly and we simply cannot eat the huge portions as we did. Yesterday we enjoyed a lovely lunch at Prezzo – a shared hummus starter, light pizza with salad for me, meal balls with pasta for him and affogato afterwards. We had a bottle of wine, too.

The difference from before was that was our only meal. I had three satsumas at 8 for the fruit and vitamin C. Previously, I’d have had a big fat sandwich later and would have had breakfast in the morning. We were eating by time, rather than hunger. We never have three meals a day now. Saves money, but we’ve bought loads of new clothes!

Pol. πŸ™‹πŸΌ

Hi! I would like to join you. I am 63 years old, and this is my year to get the weight off. I too am doing the 800 calories. I did 5:2 for a short while, but the 500 calories did me in. I agree that the 800 calories is so doable. I read an article by Dr. Mosley about this, and I knew I would try again.

LAchubster Thank you for posting! I didn’t do too well last week, I seem to be able to do 16/8 but haven’t been able to do a full fast day. This weekend the sun came out and that did it shorts and tshirt weather but only in the confines of my own garden! I worked most of the day weeding and clearing, felt good till yesterday when I really felt very stiff! But it was a beautiful day so OH and I went on a 20 mile bike ride! This morning I’m actually feeling ok but need to do some pilates to losen up!!
    I am planning to fast tomorrow and will keep you and Northrancher in mind knowing we’re together on getting back on 5.2 track.

Pollypenny well done for maintaining! I love your mantra β€˜eatig by hunger not by time’. You’re realky fotuneate to be doing this with your OH, mine is really not helpful and probably the reason why I’m finding getting back on track hard. He is able to eat vast amounts without putting on weight. I’m going to put up a big sign in the kitchen to remind him I’m fasting, hopefully that will help! I know I should have more willpower!

Surely the 800cals Sugar Free Diet is the one Dr M has devised for diabetics? I have read the book and makes absolute sense. Very hard to stick to unless you are type 2 diabetic, with all the awful effects on your body. Not sure if it would work on the 5.2 regime.

Is not the idea of fasting to give your system a rest from digesting food to give your body the opportunity to repair? I know that when I fast for a minimum of 24hours, then have a small 400/500 cal meal, my health is better and my arthritis is less painful!

This is why I’m getting so frustrated at being so weak willed! The benefits of fasting are amazing. I know this so must get back on track!!

Good luck to us all this week.

Really pleased today I completed my first fast day for ages!! Whoppeeeee!

Next will be Wednesday.

Hi, I would love to join your thread. I have been posting on another thread, but it is so large I am struggling to keep up.
    I am 62 and a retired teacher. Exercise has always been an important part of my life, but I managed to be fit AND fat. I lost about 20 lbs before Christmas, but haven’t really jumped back on the wagon since then. I fast on Monday and Thursday, but life often gets in the way and I find I have to ‘reset’ an indulgent weekend. I have a touring caravan and regular weekends away seem to sabotage my efforts. I would like to lose another 10 lbs or so, but that will mostly be dictated by my waist measurement. Most of me is thin now except sadly my waist, so my main goal is to reduce that.

I’m a newbie at the age of almost (in June) 70. I have always had weight issues but was able to ‘carry’ it well. Now that I am shrinking and the knees are giving out and more importantly my COPD is making itself a more prominent factor in my life I MUST do something. I bought the 5:2 books a few months ago. Fasted a few days and then zip. Have I mentioned I suffer/enjoy/abhor/embrace an OC personality. Looking forward to learning, sharing and fasting with this group.
    Peace and blessings.

Hi all,

Im 55 and i started the 5:2 diet 3 weeks ago, i started at 74kg and i am now 71kg, so 3kg so far lost.
    Fingers Crossed i keep on losing weight.

Hi Debster nice to see you on this thread! Like you I found another just too much. We are both in the same place I think! I also have about 10/12 lbs to lose and my waist is what I’m trying to reduce! A successful fd yesterday i must be mindful today. I started swimming again yesterday first in a year and I realise how unfit I am or just using different muscles from walking and cycling! Oh and I are going to go once or twice a week now. A beautiful sunny day so going to get out on the bikes today.

JuJuDider hi and good luck!, I’m 69 in June and started 5.2 last May. I did really well losing over 2.5stone, got to within 6lbs of target. Since Dec I lost my way a bit and put on 7lbs! I am now back on track, my head in the right place! My first target is lose the weight put on, preferably by my anniversary on May 1st!
    5.2 really does work!

nellybly well done, you’re really into it!

Non fast/ controlled eating days have been my problem so I’m going back to what I did last Year reduce carbs, konjak noodles/rice replace those and no bread! Main thing is to plan plan plan!!!
    Happy fastingx

Hi Rocy. Yes it sounds like we’re in the same place. I’ve kinda lost my mono since Christmas and have lost a couple of pounds, but nothing significant. I need to bite the bullet! A FD went off course yesterday so am trying again today. Swimming is a great exercise. I swim three times a week.
    You’re right about eating get when you’re hungry. Before I started this WOL I never felt hungry. I just ate because it was a meal time, or just ate regardless!
    Good luck everyone. To everyone starting, this way of life really does work.

Hi, to newbies. We’re off to Thailand tomorrow, tonight at airport hotel, so final weigh-in. I’ve lost a pound since Friday, in spite of Cadbury’ mini eggs. OH, who hasn’t weighed for three weeks, has put on 2 and a half pounds!

He was so pleased with himself to lose 3 stone, now I can see it creeping back!

Debster, you sound as if you put the weight on for the same reason as we did. I’m also a retired teacher and I think I missed the bouncing around the classroom and striding the long corridors.

Juju, I’ll be 70 on Easter Sunday.
    Good luck and good discipline, everyone.

Pol. πŸ’πŸΌ

@pollypenny I taught primary – 11 year olds. I used to do a healthy living programme with them and used to wear a pedometer (life before fitbits!) and had my 10000 steps done before lunchtime. The kids then borrowed it and we compared notes! I’m retire 18 months now. I don’t miss the paperwork, but I do miss the creativity and the fun! However, life is so busy now I don’t know how I had time to work!
    Enjoy Thailand.
    Deb

Are you in the UK, debster? I’m in North Wales. I taught English in a large, very good comprehensive. Loved it, apart from the marking load and final line manager.

Pol πŸ’πŸΌ

Thank you Fellow Fasters (FF) for the welcoming and inspiring notes.

Today is day 1- 240 lbs – USA/state of Wisconsin – 2 glasses of water down (oh how I struggle with drinking water) – a plan for the day’s activities, if not for the menu. Fasting so it shouldn’t be THAT hard. Going to review 5:2 books, keep busy, avid recliner and CARRY ON!

Happy early birthday, Pollypenny.
    Rocy65 – thank you for the encouragement. We, even I, can do this.

NOTE TO SELF: stay focused and carry on

I just wanted to pop in to say “Happy Birthday” Pol! Enjoy your trip and safe travels!

And, JuJu, good luck with your fasting this week. I’m in the same boat and find pre-planning helpful to staying on track. I switched up my fasting days, so today is Day 1 for this week. Doing oatmeal this morning and a Lean Cuisine tonight, an apple or greek yogurt in between if needed. Getting my nails done mid-afternoon to keep me busy during my hungriest part of the day.

Have a great day everyone!

A succesful fast day Monday and a reasonable controlled day yesterday! Fast day today started with hot lemon water now having my kefir. Not planning on anything apart from green tea, water etc til this evening then salmon with loads of greens! I may have a miso soup at about 2pm.

Debster did you manage a fast day? Do hope so x.
    The sense of achievement is massive!!

Safe travels Pol and have a great birthday!!

Stay focused and carry on. Good one JuJu, we can do this!

Hi everyone,
    A reasonably controlled fast day yesterday. I went slightly over but I won’t fuss over that. I’m off in my touring caravan tomorrow for Easter and therein lies my problem. Since retiring, we’ve been away so much. We go away with friends and it’s inclined to be an excuse to make merry. I want to keep today pretty controlled too and stay focused when we’re away. I have a wedding to go to at the end of May and would like to be little lighter for that. Fasting never seems to be a problem for me, it’s the days in between!
    @nellybly you seem to have got a real handle on this!
    @norhrancher getting your nails done seems like a great way of keeping busy on a fast day.
    @Rocy 65 is it milk or water kefir you take? I never got on with the milk variety but drink the water type daily.
    @juju I struggle with water too. I keep a jug in the fridge and put a slice of lemon, orange, mint or anything that takes my fancy in it to make it more interesting.
    We can do this everyone! Have a good day.

Sorry Pol, I forgot to say I’m in Belfast. I was born in Kent, married a Belfast man and ended up here. Trained as a teacher when my kids were small and taught in a couple of primary schools over 20 years.
    Happy birthday and safe travels. Xo

@curiouser – Great thread and I know how you feel (or felt) about keeping going. I feel exactly the same way – especially if I don’t see results! I have just started this diet and am trying a different mindset this time to try not to fall at the first hurdle. I am:

β€’ Not weighing myself (controversial I know!) because lack of movement on the scales is too depressing. I will go by how I feel and the fit of my clothes.
    β€’ Keeping busy on fasting days – I do mine on days when I attend an evening dance class because I find that (a) the exercise supresses my appetite and (b) I am not sitting around all evening thinking about food. I treat myself to a nice hot bubble bath when I get home with an ice cold flavoured water – I look forward to it!
    β€’ Planning ahead, making gallons of homemade veg soup for fast days and freezing it.
    β€’ Walking the dog lots – he is so much fitter and loves fast days!
    β€’ Not eating on fast days until I really feel hungry which is usually past lunchtime.
    β€’ Not worrying too much if I can’t do 2 days fasting – next week will be difficult as it is Easter and I am going away for a few days so will do one fast and hopefully not too much damage will be done.

I notice you have had significant results since you have started which much be so encouraging and is such am inspiration for me 

Would love to know what other little tips helps everyone get through a fast day.
    Dx

Hello all,

I just turned 66 last month and like so many of you, am trying to get the weight of many years off of my body. I read through this whole thread, and you all sound wonderful. And like so many of you, I am also a foodie. I too, collect cookbooks.

I am still working, as a traveling nurse. I am here in the US, with my home in NM. I get around to the various states and spend about 3 months in a place when I am working a contract. Right now, I am on a break between contracts.

I had tried this way of eating sometime a year or so ago, but didn’t try it for very long. I was having trouble with the fasts and life intervened. A week or so ago, I got on the scale here and thought it was broken: I am at my highest weight ever. That pushed me into really deciding that I had to take care of it. I have asthma too, as well as being hypertensive. And I have had multiple joint replacements: both hips and both knees.

I have read all the books, and the newest ones that have come out about fasting. I have looked at the newish Blood Sugar Diet program. I am still in the midst of trying to decide what will work best for me.
    I started this new journey last weekend. I am staring to find out that I do better with a longer fasting time: the 16:8 approach. It works really well for me..and I have even been able to go longer. Usually about 20 hours the past few days..

I am not sure this will be my final approach and I will probably have to tweak this quite a bit when I get my next contract. I work the night shift (12 hour nights) and sometimes getting a break is difficult. And trying to find a good rhythm will be a challenge.

LA, I just came from your area: I was working the the L.A. area from early December to the beginning of March. I love the farmers markets there!

I have discovered that I have to get rid of all refined carbs. I go on binges if I start eating them. I just cannot have them anywhere around me anymore. It is like an addiction for me. Once I start eating them, I just cannot seem to stop.

The good news is that I think this approach that I am doing so far will work much better for me. I am already seeing an increase in my energy levels, which is a big change for me. I cannot tell if my clothes are looser yet. It is just a bit early for that. LA, like you I am short, and I carry my weight in my middle.

Anyway, I am very glad to be a part of this little group.

Have you read The Obesity Code by Jason Fung?
    I now do 24 hour fasts and find them much easier and cheaper than 500 calories/day. I have lost weight and inches on the 5:2 but have struggled to shrink my waist anymore. Fung talks about the body set weight and how longer fasting helps to change that. It makes sense that the body regulates itself and tries hard to maintain the status quo by reducing calorie expenditure when we consume less as well as the urge to eat more so that we regain the weight lost.

Fung views obesity as a multifactorial problem which I have found very interesting. For me longer fasts, plenty of sleep, less stress and I have given up rice and pasta(they just make me sleepy and sluggish as well as drive me to eat more and more) as well as reducing sugar have all helped me to shrink further. I eat fish or meat with salad or vegetables, nuts, full fat milk, cheese and nuts and fruit. I feel much better eating this food and my body continues to change shape.

P

I just finished reading his book The Complete Guide to Fasting. I have learned a lot. That is why I have been trying the longer fasts every day. They just seem to work better for me, so far. I haven’t gone 24 hours yet:only up to 20 hours. I don’t eat a huge amount when I am fasting this long. I find it easier to just eat once a day, or maybe 2 smaller meals after that fasting interval. If I am removing the refined carbs, I am not really eating a highly caloric diet.

I have been reading in some places that it is better to finish up one’s eating a few hours before bedtime. This is a challenge for me, as I tend to be a nightowl. I sleep late, and have been having my first meal later in the afternoon/early evening. I have been having another smaller meal about 4-5 hours after that..to give myself some time before I go to bed. My challenge is that I am not always hungry by that time. I would be hungry an hour or so later..but that would only give me an hour or so before I head to bed.

This is one reason I am very interested in the eating once a day plan. As I mentioned before, I am still trying to figure out what will work best for me.

When I get ready to go back to work I will have to figure out another way to tweak it. I am not sure the once a day thing will work then.

artisan02 …… you could be my twin! I am also 66, short and round in the middle (!) – I am on blood pressure medication, also asthmatic and have had recent foot surgery (not hips). I also did about 8 months of 5:2 about 18 months ago and then somehow fell by the wayside. I too have been reading the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet and wondering if that’s the best way forward and if I have the willpower to do it for 56 consecutive days! I have decided for the time-being to stick to 2 x 800 cals Fast Days because the weight seems to be shifting and is much more do-able for me than the 500 cals. I thought that, next week, I would go up to 3 days a week and possibly even up to 5 Fast Days. Michael Mosley mentioned in his book on the Blood Sugar Diet (or rather, it was in his wife’s cookbook) that many people do the 5 days a week (at 800 cals) and then have a slightly more relaxed 2 days. I will see if I can work towards doing that. 16:8 works for me on Fast Days too and I have given up sugar and refined carbs.
    Good Luck … let me know how you decide to proceed.

Hi all! I had a great FD this past week–late breakfast of oatmeal and lean cuisine ravioli for early dinner–totally just under 500 calories. Having a manicure in the afternoon did the trick in keeping me occupied during my hungriest part of the day. I drank water & sparkling water all day long & did not eat the next day (NFD) until 1:30! I just wasn’t that hungry. BUT, that afternoon, a friend dropped off German apple strudel, which was irresistible (& so delicious) and so it goes…But, that’s OK –I had a totally “worth it” dessert & I stayed within my NFD calorie count. My next FD is Sunday, but we will be doing an Easter brunch and I plan to eat normally, so Monday I’ll do a FD instead. I’m learning the art of shuffling days around and not beating myself up when I do choose a rare dessert or have a margarita (as I will tonight). My philosophy–especially at this age/stage–is that there are some things that make life worth living, and knowing what’s on our lists makes it easier to make choices. And, I find myself mindfully choosing and that restores all the joy.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and for those of you celebrating (Passover, Easter) hope it is blessed and spent with those you love.

starting week 11 this morning. Today is a fast day. I have lost 18 lbs in the first 10 weeks – which has made me very happy. Next step on my goal is 190 lbs – 6 lbs more to go. I am thinking on working on dropping another 10 lbs from there, which would put me at a weight for me not seen since I was 30. The 196 lbs I weighed on Friday is the lowest weight for me maybe in 15 -20 years.

5:2 has been working for me. I have made sure on my fast days I stay at the 600 calories or lower. I have found the one meal on FD in the evening works best for me. When I tried to split meals on a FD I found myself thinking too much of the next feeding on those days. Where knowing I am just eating one meal after 6:00 frees me from that.

The morning after fasts I have been skipping any type of food as I an not hungry and find myself starting to eat on feed days after 1:00 PM.

During the first 10 weeks I have also found myself on feed days not thinking or obsessing for snacks like before starting 5:2. Perhaps that is because when I eat on the feed days I am eating a good size meal and more and more – the meals are cleaner meals.

Wishing everyone success in their efforts.

Hello, I have just joined.

I am 69, 5ft 3inches and have been on the 5.2 diet for 2 weeks now. I feel as if I will be able to manage this because on diet days (Mondays and Fridays), I know that I will be able to eat normally the following day. I have yo-yo dieted for years but always put back on what I lost. I am 159lb and want to get to 140, because my cholesterol is too high. I will then try to maintain that weight by dieting one day a week.

Good luck to all.

Hello to Glyn99 and Zenhampster. Glyn, I am a month away from my 69th birthday but have 6 inches in height on you. I started this back in 2013 and have returned recently . Like many others I have experimented to find what works for me. I have done days similar to zenhampster and also water fasts of between 24 and 55 hrs duration. Have done back to back, 18 – 6 and almost every thing in between. I change my fasting days or add more days as and when it suits me to do so. No it is not always easy but once into the rhythm of 5:2 then yes it does get easier. Just remember that a lot of the benefits of fasting are not seen because our inner body improves as a result. Whatever we do, do it to suit our selves to make our 5:2 fasting a way of life.
    Good luck out there.

Well, back from 8 days of too much merrymaking and the scales are groaning. Now I need to focus on repairing the damage. I need to give myself a severe talking to. I’ve a wedding to go to at the end of May and I would have liked a few pounds off. I’m off to Portugal for 10 days in between which will make life tricky. All the more reason for self control. Retirement has its downside!
    Annette52 am going to re-read the Obesity Code and have just downloaded the Complete Guide to Fasting to strengthen my resolve. Thank you Artisan02. Fasting today.
    Back onto that wagon!

Losing weight is tough. I have been trying for several years. I wanted to be at my best health for me when I hit 50. Then I changed to 60. I turned 66 last month and discovered 5:2 plans from my son and daughter-in-law. I didn’t think it would work for me like it did for them since they are young. I started researching and happened upon this site somehow. Anyway I started trying to work the program two weeks ago. I have lost 9 or 10 pounds which I have not been able to do before. I do have some health issues like most of do at our age, but will get in to that later if you accept me into your group. I am an Amerian not Canadian, but have visited a few cities in Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ and love it! Thanks, Gail

Hi gailh0351, I am 62 and those milestones always trigger self reflection. I think we’ve all made the same resolutions on our weight loss/health journey. This is a great way of life, which has really changed the way in which I approach food. I have been doing this for a year now, and lost about 20 lbs. Slowly but surely! I took time off last year to go travelling and managed to maintain over a 9 week trip, which pleased me. I still fall off the wagon sometimes, but just press the reset button!
    Good luck with your journey.

13 weeks finished now and down 21 lbs. The going for the last 3 weeks has slowed in terms of weight loss – but still losing. My fast days continue to be no problem – especially as now I am pretty set in my ways to just eating 1 meal at the end of the day. I have found for me, knowing I have only one meal, πŸ™‚ eating seems to escape my thoughts throughout the day as it is a Fast Day. On some days when the time comes to eat on Fast Day I start debating whether to make it a 36 hour fast – but that hasn’t happened yet πŸ™‚ . The hardest part of this system are the feed days. I normally do not eat until after 12 or 1 and try to stay in an 8 hour window. However, sometimes the food choices during those times are not the best. But, as with a lot of things in life, this The 5:2 Fast Diet is a practice. The more I practice the material the better I will be.

Hi, everyone. Back from three weeks in Thailand with a three pounds gain on my maintenance weight, which I have already lost. 5:2 is such a marvellous retraining of eating style and appetite.

Glyn, you are me just over a year ago! OH and I started 5:2 on Aoril 25, 2016 and I hit target of 133 on September 20th. I continued to lose weight, so now aim for 128lbs, although I did go under.

Mdd and debster, 16:8 every day may well help. It’s my maintenance answer and I find that I can eat want I want. Thanks to 5:2 I no longer want rubbish or my previous huge portions.

Pol. πŸ™‹πŸΌ

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 521 total)

You must be logged in to reply.