One Year On…

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  wiltldnrUSA 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• It’s just over a year now since I watched Eat, Fast and Live Longer (EFLL) and it’s the one hour of television that has changed my life more than any other programme I have ever seen.

At the end of EFLL my wife turned to me and said, “Right, I’m starting that tomorrow.” She was so determined, and the arguments in the programme all seemed to stack up so I agreed to join her.

I knew I was carrying too much weight and looking at where I SHOULD be on the BMI charts looked impossible. I’d seen my weight creep past 95kg and then past 100kg I was active but that wasn’t making any kind of dent in my weight and I was finding loose fit 36″ waist jeans becoming uncomfortably tight. I’d never developed a large gut, it was just excess padding all over and I wanted to get in shape so that I would be around to see my daughters grow up.

There was no dramatic melting of fat, I just noticed that slowly and steadily the weight was coming off me. My clothes were fitting better and I had more energy. On my non-fasting days I found it easier to exercise moderation and some of my coping strategies for fasting days(plenty of ice-cold water, chai tea with artificial sweetener and sugar free gum) made it into my regular days.

The real revelation for how much weight I was losing came in November of last year when I loaned my phone to a friend to show him how good the camera was. He took a snap of me and passed the phone back. I was stunned. I looked about 5 years younger and a LOT slimmer. I began the 5:2 plan with the intent that, if I could make it work, this was going to be my eating pattern for life- it’s not a diet in the sense that I’m doing it to lose weight, it is my eating pattern now and always will be.

I’ve lost 36lb, I haven’t managed to quite hit the magic 86kg I was aiming for but I’ve hit 89kg and not put any more weight on. I’ve lost almost two inches off my collar and I just bought my first pair of 32″ jeans in twenty years! I’ve had the odd blip following holidays and business travel and I also found over time that it is important to ‘eat normally’ on your non-fasting days not ‘eat whatever you like’.

A recent check up at the doctor confirmed blood glucose, cholesterol, resting heart rate, liver and kidney function all ‘excellent’. “You’re clearly in good shape, so whatever you’re doing, keep it up,” were his words. As my motivation for starting the 5:2 was to be around for as long as possible for my wife and kids, this was wonderful news.

My wife has also done very well on the plan and has lost over a stone and a half, she’s got more energy and feels a lot better about herself. I’ve also pushed a good friend of mine into the diet as I saw his weight going up and in about three months on the plan he’s lost over 11kg and is approaching a weight that he never thought he’d get back down to.

Some weeks are really easy, some weeks are a bit tougher but I never worry about my weight any more and I don’t worry about food. It has no control over me and I get to see my daughters grow up. So Michael, and Mimi, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

God bless.

Well done Steve. For someone like me whose been on the program for 6 months its so good to get this kind of feedback. Thankyou

That is very inspiring as I reach the end of my first week of working the program correctly.

Thanks for sharing your story, SteveA – very inspiring!

Thanks folks. I’ve found that the 5:2 Plan is something that my wife and I have had to develop and experiment with. We’ve found that we need something sweet at the end of the day so we always finish with a small fruit salad and I need something at midday, as I normally go running at lunchtime, and if I don’t eat all morning I really struggle on my run.

Artificial sweetner in tea helps and finding some really strong punchy sauces to lift my dinners also makes me feel better. I’ve found that I’m happier using a small amount of a good rich salad dressing and tossing it well rather than using a larger helping of a low calorie dressing that tastes like wallpaper paste. Getting home from work late means that I always have a number of ‘go to’ meals that I can prepare quickly with the minimum of fuss.

The main thing I learned through fasting is that hunger pangs (as opposed to real starving hunger) really are a state of mind and I can push through them or sate them with ice cold water with fresh lime juice.

I think it really helps as you negotiate your way through this eating plan to experiment and find what works best for you. I never eat breakfast on a fast day but I understand that some people really struggle without.

Something that my wife is also very aware of is not wanting to create a damaging relationship with food for our girls; so we never talk of our ‘diet’ or ‘fasting’ days. We only ever discuss our ‘trim’ days with the girls and say that we’re structuring our meals this way to be healthy for them.

Good luck everyone.

SteveA & ur family

ur post gave me many reason 2 thank the fates that we came across
    dr mosley

i came across this lifestyle by reading a headline of how the british have been taken 2 the fastdiet.

never saw the video

researched it could not get 2 c video due 2??

so started it anyway

eventually it came 2 pbs in the usa

saw all his horizons liked the efll
    & the exercise one

& life has changed 2 a new future
    w/ hope

that is why i have the vids on this site. they have a major impact on life itself

what u said

“We only ever discuss our ‘trim’ days with the girls and say that we’re structuring our meals this way to be healthy for them.”

“Some weeks are really easy, some weeks are a bit tougher but I never worry about my weight any more and I don’t worry about food. It has no control over me and I get to see my daughters grow up”

this made me cry

wish ur family continued success

this is not a computer glitch
    just checkmarking
    the
    Notify me of follow-up replies via email
    u should all
    4 ur topics & replies

That is great Steve. Very inspiring. I am trying to rope my fiance to do this with me, but so far his idea of fasting is swapping his sandwich, crisps and chocolate to apple and banana – which is a start i suppose.

Looking forward to hear more about your journey

Hello SteveA

Just read your story-fantastic.

Myself and my husband also saw the original programme aired and were very impressed; I actually tried to contact Michael by email on the BBC site but had great difficulty, gave up and never heard about the subject again until I saw the ‘other 5:2 diet’ book for sale in a shop in June this year! I would have been on the diet like you for an entire year now-ho hum.

Anyways, it is great to hear from people like yourself who have been on the diet for such a relatively long period of time compared to most of us. It encourages us to keep going no matter how we are doing.

Well done you and your missus!

Michael probably locked himself away so he could get on with his proper job.
    A very inspiring post Steve. I cant see myself or hubby stopping this plan as we are both seeing massive benefits since July. Not always on the scales but sometimes in other ways. I ran to catch a bus last week with another mum. She is 35. I am 46 and i beat her to the bus! I would not have done in June.

I can really only agree on the experience shared by all you people. I am now soon 1 year into this diet and what I find intriguing is that I want to go on doing it… Of course there are days that are more difficult but I tend to think that this is more mental than physiological. I get hungry like everyone else but it is really the kind of controlled hunger that comes and goes. The thing is that after my 4 consecutive days of eating normally, it feels good to give your “system” some rest. I do make exceptions during joyous occasions and vacations simply because I do not think that a couple of “mishaps” will have a major impact over time and because you need to enjoy life in the short term too :). It is easy to fit into your weekly routines and leaves you enough space to carry on with everything else you do – I leave the weekends “free” from exercise and fasting diet and spend that with the family whereas the working days are for work, exercising and fasting. So the diet is part of a life-style not only comprising your physical state but also the way your life as a whole. I think this is why it works for me and why I want to go on doing it.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. WiltldnrUSA, thanks for putting the video links up- I’ve used them to help encourage some people to start on this approach to eating as it can sound like quackery but when I can demonstrate not only the success that I’ve had but that intermittent fasting is the subject of active academic research it adds a lot of credence to the plan.

I really wanted to post to let people know that this approach to eating is sustainable in the long term. Tobias, I have a very similar attitude to you in that I make this eating approach work with my lifestyle and not the other way around. If I miss a week now and again, I don’t let it bother me- in fact the main think I notice when I skip my Trim Days 😉 is that my whole digestive system appears to slow down and I definitely feel better when I go back onto the plan.

I’m really glad that everyone here seems to be doing so well on the diet and if you have skeptical people in your lives, the best thing to do is stick with the programme and become the best possible advertisement for it.

SteveA

ur welcome

here is his new one on meditation & other stuff

mosley like me has insomia (fastday side effect ugh) it has helped him what he experimented

in this horizon show

putting all the links again

“Eat, Fast and Live Longer” 6 August 2012
    Michael J. Mosley has set himself a truly ambitious goal: he wants to live longer, stay younger and lose weight in the bargain. And he wants to make as few changes to his life as possible along the way. He discovers the powerful new science behind the ancient idea of fasting, and he thinks he’s found a way of doing it with the 5:2 diet that still allows him to enjoy his food. Michael tests out the science of fasting on himself – with life-changing results.

EAT FAST AND LIVE LONGER

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/110651/BBC_Horizon_2012_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/

“The Truth About Exercise” 28 February 2012
    Michael Mosley investigates recent scientific research that could change the way people exercise, including a study that suggests many could benefit from just three minutes of high-intensity activity a week. He also discovers the health benefits of seemingly innocuous actions, such as walking and fidgeting, and learns why some people do not respond to exercise at all.

THE TRUTH ABOUT EXERCISE

http://vimeo.com/51836895

“The Truth About Personality” 10 July 2013
    Michael Mosley explores the latest research in genetics and neuroscience to find out what factors shape people’s personalities and whether they can be changed. Michael tries two techniques in an attempt to make him worry less and become more of an optimist – with surprising results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajvZmXqlrNU

Diet and Disease FIRST BROADCAST: 11 Sep 2008 BBC Four
    The lengths doctors go to to uncover connections between what we eat and what we die from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdZBxRx5xfc

2008 one w/ dr mosley

this one really scared me

made me go even more on a balanced nutritional way

” the best thing to do is stick with the programme and become the best possible advertisement for it.”

is so true

happy fasting ♪♪♪♫♫♫♫

Thanks so much for posting these video links throughout the forums. I finally watched the Fast video and it is as great as everyone said it was! It really inspired me and motivated me. I can’t get over that 101-year old marathoner!

Melinda_in_NC

“that 101-year old marathoner!”

ur right i forgot about him 🙂

watch the exercise 1
    it is really exciting

keep us posted

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.