On Target October – Monthly Challenge for October 2021: Come & Join Us :-)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
On Target October – Monthly Challenge for October 2021: Come & Join Us :-)

This topic contains 303 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  BrightonBelle 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 315 total)

• Day 4 – WF

@northgeorgia we got this water fast day! (Yeah I’m doing it too, I’m aiming for a 3 day to 5 day water fast, I’ll be paying attention to my body and back off if/ when I need to – I have done it for 60 hours in the past.).

I’ll add myself to the pocket list, thank you @songbirdme for explaining.

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @babs_b
    @northgeorgia
    @mariaelena

Day 4 – UK – FD

Yesterday I was marshalling for a race at altitude and it was wet, cold and blowy so was dressed as if I was in the antarctic 🤣 was so glad to get back home to some lovely hot carrot and ginger soup to warm me up! We have had a lot of rain over the past week, certainly has filled up all the rivers and lakes and with some to spare…..

Annoying weekend though as my boiler stopped working on Saturday evening – repair man came this morning and apparently it needs a new part that has to be ordered and probably will arrive until late tomorrow so most likely the boiler will not be fixed until Wednesday so no hot showers 😢

Today is my 2nd FD for October – much needed after overindulging yesterday – Started this morning with my regular 7am Broga class and will end today with my 90min Dynamic Yoga class at 5pm

This morning I baked Rick Stein’s Clementine, Almond and Olive Oil Cake for a friend’s birthday tomorrow (GF)and also made a Caramelised Clementine Compote – I delivered it to her house just now and suggested she serve the cake accompanied by the compote and a dollop of creme fraiche – hopefully it will all taste good.

ZBC as usual for me, a bowl of that Carrot and Ginger Soup for lunch and plenty of water so far today

@brightonbelle @babs_b – I’m also on a RESET day with you today

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @babs_b
    @northgeorgia
    @mariaelena
    @at

Day 4 – Canada 🇨🇦 – FD

I’m with you @babs_b – avoiding the scales until I have 2 solid FDs under my belt ☺️

What kind of broth are you eating/drinking @northgeorgia?

Good luck to all.

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @babs_b
    @northgeorgia
    @dvw

Day 4 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD

Well, just typing the header line made me realize something important. I was thinking I should make today a WFD also, in addition to tomorrow’s…”in punishment for how badly I ate last night after our event.” As soon as I heard that voice in my head, I realized I needed to lighten up on myself! 😲😘😂 The truth is, I DID eat badly when we got home. I was entirely spent, both physically and mentally, and “wanted DH to take me out” but I was too tired even to think of where to go, and to make any plans to accomplish it, and DH always prefers to stay home unless I talk him into going. We were both too tired to go, however, so we stayed home and I overate nibble food, because I had nothing planned for supper.

How much did I actually eat? Dunno. Lots of smoked almonds. Lots of cheese. Well, no, some cheese, but not a lot. Some crackers with a fig chili jam on it (think lots and lots and lots of refined carbs 😔). Two (or more?) glasses of wine. Frozen cookie dough. (Yup. I’m one of those. DS discovered that in the freezer yesterday at brunch, and I gave in to it last night.)

Is there any chance I’ll be 141 by the time we leave for our leaf peeping trip in upstate New York next Monday? ZERO. I probably can’t even be back below 145–although, that’s actually slightly possible, if I eat really little this week.

I miss the “motivated me” of several weeks ago, and am not having as much fun with the “only marginally behaved” me of now. Time to have a good think and see what I can do to bring back RESOLVE.

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @babs_b
    @northgeorgia
    @dvw
    @stitchincarol

Day 4 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

I’m back! A few pounds heavier after the Holiday and currently with glass of red wine in hand as officially last day of hols, but I am back to join you guys with gusto from tomorrow.

Thanks @high5 for hosting.

@stitchincarol, having just now caught up on Septembers posts and seeing how super motivated and excited you were with your discovery of water fasts and how well they suited you…all I can say is don’t give up. You can do it.

Day 5, FD, Aus

Hello all. We had a long weekend here – three days of doing absolutely nothing. I’m feeling very unmotivated for work (my big project is still hanging over me and I’m not enjoying it at all). I should do a FD today as I didn’t do my usual Monday one yesterday. I should. (I’m also struggling with motivation @stichincarol!). It’s grey and windy and cold and I find I am wanting to have a big sulk like some child!

Ok, time to pull up my big girl socks and find that mojo!

Day 4 second post

Remarkably, this has turned into a WFD. After so many of you said you were doing that today, I started to think it was a good idea (rather than a punishment for yesterday’s eating, LOL) and broached the subject to DH and he decided he liked the idea, so here we are at 6:50 doing okay! And, @daffodil2010, thank you so much for that shout out; I felt very loved and empowered!

Day 5 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – CD

We had a lovely relaxing holiday, trundling around South West Ireland, sleeping 10 hours at least a night, eating, drinking, walking, I felt so relaxed at the end of it.

Unfortunately arrived home, with two weeks of laundry, to a washing machine that just died. So we had to spend our precious last day of hols buying and plumbing in a new washing machine. Not the kind of expense one needs after a holiday where pockets are lighter anyway, thank goodness for that rainy day fund!

I am not fasting as such, but continuing on my 80/20 plant based food which worked so well pre Holiday, and at least two of those days will be 500 cals with maybe a soup for OMAD. Not today as I already had an orange for Vitamin C breakfast, there is a beetroot salad for lunch then mixed veg soup for evening meal.

But for the first time in two weeks there will be no wine 🍷👍💃!!!!
    I put on a few pounds but already two are gone so hoping it’s easy on and easy off.

Have a great Tuesday.

Day 5 – UK – CD

Morning all. I can finally say again that I had a good FD yesterday! ZBC, soup for a late lunch and stuffed peppers for dinner. Washed up the plates, kitchen was figuratively closed and I hopped on to the laptop to do some (easy) work tasks to distract myself from mindless snacking. Not ideal to be working in the evenings all the time and must admit I didn’t get off to sleep as early as I’d like last night but I managed it.

I’ve marked off the first of my ‘8 good days’ on my tracker, which I’m looking at right now.

Going for a CD today. ZBC again, the rest of yesterday’s soup for lunch then a light dinner again tonight, just with a few more cals. Still not stepped on the scales and living in blissful ignorance 🦩(note to emoji designers – we need an Ostrich! 😂), but I put the tape measure around my waist this morning and it’s 1/2″ smaller than yesterday, along with the lower waist, so hopefully that’s a sign I’m de-puffing a bit!

I’m staying away from home next week for a few nights, so trying to make a good hit on things this week.

@stitchincarol – A huge well done for the WFD! Sometimes we think it all has to come from steely determination but half the time, just going hour by hour is the trick. I used to smoke and that’s how I managed to quit.

@daffodil2010 – good to have you back, the break sounds incredible. Not so great re the washing machine though. The universe has some choice timings sometimes!

@penz – I hope the FD is going ok

@at – the carrot and ginger soup sound beautiful. I know it’s not nice to be heading into the colder and darker months here but there’s something so lovely about it being ‘soup season’ again..! 😂

@dvw – Haha I’m glad I’m not the only one avoiding the scales at the mo!! Hope the FD went ok

Have a good Tuesday, all!

Day 5 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Major PFDS this morning. But I feel more smug about my 4 – so far – alcohol-free days. Slept for 8 & a half hours last night too & feel great. Scales show 69.8 kgs, BMI 21.5, so down nearly half a kilo already this month. I think I’ll need to eat more on NFDs, or maybe even try 6:1.

Welcome back @daffodil2010! Your holiday sounds idyllic 😍

Sending RESOLVE waves to today’s fasters 💪

Pocket List – Day 5 🎯
    @penz

Day 5, NFD

Sorry I’ve been quiet!

We are off on holiday on Thursday.

However I am feeling under the weather today and yesterday, so I therefore feel that I should have a few days of healthy eating, rather than fasting, before we go on holiday

I think this is a great example of why I need to be 2 lb under my target weight, because there are always unforeseen circumstances like these, where are you intend to fast, but actually you can’t fast for a very good reason!

If I feel better then I MIGHT do a FD tomorrow…. But maybe not! 😄

So I am with you all in spirit and wishing you the very best of luck today! X

Day 5 UK NFD

Aiming for a steady NFD today then fasting tomorrow instead of Thursday as it’s my birthday- not making a big deal of it but a few low key celebrations planned but need to stay mindful as I’m determined to record a loss this month and I know it’s going g to take a big effort 💪

Good to see you back @daffodil2010 What is it with washing machines I’ve had them conk out just as going on holiday too 🤔

Hope you feel a bit better tomorrow @high5

Day 5 – USA/GA – NFD (ZBC)

Weigh-in: 220 lbs. A little bloated today, so probably could weigh-in a bit lower today, but hey ho. The liquid fast went well yesterday — no issues at all. @dvw it’s actually instant chicken bouillon (yes, I know this is the worst kind, but it works for me for now. I’ll probably make some chicken bone broth from homemade stock in the future to freeze and prepare).

I’m not very hungry this morning and have a luncheon at work, so I’m doing ZBC this morning. That means by the time I break my fast, it will have been a 40-hour fast with just liquids. And I’m surprised it isn’t as horrible as I imagined.

Well, off to battle the pouring rain commute.

Day 5, London, UK, NFD,

I’m late to the party, but I AM here!!!

I’ve already blown todays’ FD, so lets just not talk about it.🤐

Thanks @high5 for hosting us this month, I’m trying to be present & correct, but my 3 days at work seem to be the only times I can find a spare second to post!!! Must do better!

A little about me – late 40’s, Civil engineer, started 5:2 at the end of 2016, joined these challenges in Feb ’17, lost 44lbs (slowly as I’m not exactly disciplined!) put a large chunk of that back on over 2 lockdowns, selling my flat, looking to buy a house and coping with a debilitating illness that hit my beautiful mum out of the blue!! I’m aiming to discard about 30lbs of fat to get back to my fighting weight, this really, really works, providing you ACTUALLY DO IT!!!!

So my October aims
    – Sober October, which in fact, starts today (oops) I hope you’re with me @funshipfreddie
    – Re-commit to the ZBC, living with my mum is tricky as she eats NON-STOP from dawn ‘til dusk!!!🥯🧀🍩🍪🍰🍞🥐
    – Chuck in a WFD here & there just to prevent any slippery slopes towards carb heaven ……………. Or is it hell??
    – -5lbs – simple!
    – 5:2 ………………………….As simple as that!
    – 2-3L water instead of 2-3L red wine🤭
    – Reacquaint myself with the lovely Leslie Sansone!!🚶🏼‍♀️🚶🏼‍♀️🚶🏼‍♀️🚶🏼‍♀️

I’ll have to catch up with the first 4 days posts later, since I should probably actually do some work this morning!!!

Even when I ‘imagine’ that this IS hard I need to remember …………………. “It’s going to be hard, but hard is not impossible.” Chuck Palahniuk

Stay strong folks, that chocolate bar will be there tomorrow or next year for that matter …………………. Delayed gratification is all the rage!!!!👼🏼💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼

Day 5 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD, day 2

I was quite astonished to find yesterday’s WF easy and almost effortless. I did have some extreme stomach rumbling several times, but it wasn’t accompanied by a longing to eat, and the rumbling was quickly gone each time. It certainly helped to have DH doing it with me! After the feeling on Monday morning of having lost all my momentum and most of my self-control, it’s lovely to feel back on track. Today will be pretty simple since I have a full day of piano lessons.

Oh, @daffodil2010, that is indeed a sad way to end a holiday…”welcome back to reality,” eh? I’ll bet that machine is washing away at the two weeks of laundry!

@babs_b So glad you had such a terrific day yesterday, and hoping today perfectly matches your plans!

@funshipfreddie Well done on 4 alcohol-free days–so far!

@high5 Bummer on feeling icky; I hope you’re top notch in time to leave for holiday on Thursday!

@northgeorgia “And I’m surprised it isn’t as horrible as I imagined.” That was my feeling also–plus, I didn’t suddenly find myself to be a raving lunatic, which I secretly rather thought people who did WFs must be! 😂🤣😂🤣😂 The things we learn if we just drop our judgmental attitude and TRY it! 😉

@flourbaby You have my sympathy with a mom who eats continually; that makes it so hard to go your own way and resist the sights and smells! LOVELY to read your post. 🥰

Pocket List – Day 5 🎯
    @penz
    @stitchincarol

Day 5 Melb Aust NFD

Slow start to this month. I lost no weight overall last month, BUT, I also gained none, so I’m taking that as a win. Planning to re-read Jason Fung’s “The Obesity Code” for inspiration. I’m sure this month will be better than last month.

Just a comment – Melbourne today exceeded Buenes Aires as the most locked-down city in the world since the start of the Covid pandemic. We still have a few weeks before lockdown ends. So, it is what it is; I will lose weight despite the lockdown! 🙂

Thanks @high5 for hosting us this month.

Day 5 – WFD

Yesterday went well. Did normal exercise (strength and cardio) but will do only light cardio today on the 2nd WFD). Given my plans for Thursday I’m thinking this will be at most an 86 hour water fast. Someday I’d like to get to the 120 hour mark.

@stichincarol how lovely your DH did it with you. Mine acts like it is the end of the world when I do a 500 fast day, so we usually just don’t talk about it. Don’t get me wrong, he is wonderful and supportive generally about my weight loss and health goals but that word FAST triggers him. I’m careful to describe my 16:8 as time restricted eating and he thinks it sound smart. I tactfully stay quiet when he calls a co-worker who is intermittent fasting a ‘crazy’ without explaining that time restricted eating and intermittent fasting are the same thing, lol.

@dadfodil2010 That timing was a real bummer. I hope the holiday calm and refreshing feelings linger nonetheless.

@high5 hoping you feel much better!

@northgeorgia I slipped into water fasts accidentally actually – all thanks to 5:2. I agree they are much less onerous than expected, but I credit 5:2 with easing me into it. Also my occasional OMAD days also prepared me. One 500 day I was about to prepare dinner and realized I was really OK if O skipped it, so I did. I’m so glad it worked for you! Way to go!

@ flourbaby It would be difficult for me too to do my fast days when my husband (who eats late in day, snacks constantly etc) were around. My environment is sub-optimal for me in many ways, but it works very well to support my fast days and I count my good fortune on that.

Truly, so many of you face environmental challenges (lockdowns, house-mate habits, work/social food temptations, etc) that I don’t, and I find your commitment inspiring to assist me overcoming my own challenges. So Kudos and Thanks!

I start my day by reading this board and your insights and challenges put me in the right frame of mind every day. I’m so awfully glad I found my way here.

Pocket List – Day 5 🎯
    @penz
    @stitchincarol
    @mariaelena

Day 6, NFD, Aus

Good FD yesterday – thinks for sticking me on the pocket list @funshipfreddie.

Like, @mariaelena – I start my day reading your posts to set myself up for success. Always good to hear what everyone is up to.

@high5, did you tell us where you are going for your holiday? Hope you feel fighting fit by Thursday.

Actually looking forward to a dry night.

Day 6, U.K. – FD

Feeling okay today fingers crossed so I am going to go for a fast day today…

First of all I just have to say I am very pleased with myself about my 2 non fast days! I was SO well-behaved! This is such a big deal!! 😄😄😄

Granted, I had three meals a day, plus some dark chocolate but beyond that I was extremely good and I ate mega healthily and I did not eat any cake/sugar (tiny bit of dark choc excepted!)
    Is there an acronym for Post NON Fast Day Smugness??!!! 😄😄😄

@penz
    @flourbaby
    @starshipfreddie – CONGRATS on your resolve around alcohol !!

@daffodil2010 – GUTTING about your washing machine! But hope you’re still feeling the post holiday happiness??

@betsylee – Really feel for you re lockdown. Hope you’re managing to take solace in Jason Fung’s positivity…

@flourbaby – hilarious that your only opportunity to catch up with the forum is whilst you’re at work!

@stircgincarol –
    @northgeorgia – GO YOU TWO on your WFs!! RESPECT! 👏👏👏

@penz – We are off to Cornwall tomorrow. I’m hoping to have my first ever surfing lesson ! (DH refuses to join in 😄)

Have a great day everyone !

Day 6 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

I am WFH today as I have to see my doctor in town at 11 so it cuts a lot of extra commuting if I slip off from home. I am fasting (as normal ZBC anyway) just in case blood tests are required. This appointment is to discuss the recent plantar fasciitis/gout shenanigans that recently took place, so hopefully will be on a better track soon.

I definitely do feel better in the foot department 😀

Inspired by posts here I may make it a liquid fast day too. It’s easier to do that at home funnily enough.

@northgeorgia great to see you broke the 220 barrier recently.

Have a good Wednesday hump day. 🐪

Day 6 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@flourbaby – yes, sober October for me too! And @mariaelena, I believe. Day 6 already, and it’s astonishing how many booze commercials there are, & every TV character seems to be chugging a glass or bottle of something. But so far I’m sticking to my non-alcoholic Savanna cider 🥴

@high5 – ‘starshipfreddie’?! 😅 I could get used to that. Cornwall – I’m so jealous?! I love Cornwall, especially Penzance, & my happiest childhood memories are playing in the sand on the St Ives beaches. And Cornish ice cream! 😋

Happy Hump Day 🐫

Pocket List – Day 6 🍒
    @high5
    @daffodil2010
    @flourbaby

Day 6, London UK, FD, AF

Today will be a FD or at the least a very controlled new 800cal FD. I really want to get back to the very effective 500cal FDs and ultimately LFDs again since I KNOW the best option is to never have to think about food on a FD!!

@babs_b ……………………. That flamingo 🦩🦩 makes a fantastic ostrich substitute ……………… poised, elegant, beautiful and although they don’t do ‘that’ ostrich thing, I imagine they’re quite blinkered as the concentration required to stand on one leg must be immense!!! 😊

@high5, enjoy your break-away tomorrow, I hope the weather improves or at least you find a boat to hire somewhere!!!🤣🤣

@northgeorgia, you’ll find rereading your post so helpful in the future, they detail your thought process, things you’ve learnt, the pitfalls or successes you’ve had. I need to do the same instead of just writing – “I’ve already blown todays’ FD, so let’s just not talk about it.🤐” which isn’t exactly enlightening!!!!🤣

@daffodil2010, I agree, the LFDs were much easier for me when WFH during lockdown, success came from thinking if I happened to need a little nap because I was wasting away😜 it was best to be close to my own bed!!!!😂🤣😂😂😂

@funshipfreddie (Starship trooper🤣) I’m only on day 2 of the AF month, but I already know my efforts deserve a MEDAL!!!!🥇🥇🥇 How hard is it to have a NFD without a glass of vino???? Like everything, it’ll just take time to get used to the better sleep, better skin, weight-loss and clear thinking😍🤣😍 I’m not quite sure what my local Tesco’s will do with the excess vino I think they ordered especially for me!!!😂😂

Anyway, back to work ……………………… I must start earning that wage!!!

Stay strong folks & remember

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”
    — Dale Carnegie

Day 6 – UK – CD

Morning all,

Yesterday was busy and I was very late leaving the office so dinner plans got switched up, but still managed to have a controlled day, calorie-wise.

Feeling good today and have another busy one ahead of me so hopefully that’ll be a good distraction.

Still not braved the scales! I just want to get myself back into the 5:2 rhythm a little bit longer before I start getting really focused on the weight loss side of things. I’m thinking do the behaviour first and then start looking at the results a while later.

@stitchincarol – well done on the other WFD!

@daffodil2010 I hope the drs appt goes well. I’m glad your foot is feeling better too 🙂

@funshipfreddie – you’re doing so well and hearing about it is really motivating. I’m not on a sober October though have done that a few years, but I’m finding I’m naturally drinking a lot less nowadays. It sounds like the 6:1 plan or eating a bit more on the NFDs is a good approach. My BMI used to sit around the 21 mark but I’m up in the high 24s at the moment. Everyone’s different but a solid 22 is where I feel most like myself!

@betsylee – Sending strength and solidarity through the lockdown!

@high5 – good luck with the FD!

Day 6 – Canada 🇨🇦 – FD

Good morning. Love reading all your posts. Just a quick hello before I run out the door. Take care all.

Pocket List – Day 6 🍒
    @high5
    @daffodil2010
    @flourbaby
    @dvw

Day 6 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 220 lbs. ZBC today, just like yesterday. I’m not hungry, so not having anything. I broke the fast violently with a better than average chamber of commerce luncheon: southern sweet tea, breaded herbed baked chicken, cheesy potatoes, veggies, and a slice of chocolate coconut pecan cake. Errr, a few hours later my body reacted LOL

Also sabotaged late that evening when I didn’t plan a big dinner, yet my brother had bought fast food. Although it was probably only half a plate of leftovers, I considered it a full portion. I couldn’t resist — but I did drink with water and ate with pumpkin seeds and a piece of cheese to ensure nothing more after finishing.

I also chart my 10-day average weight trend. This is the first time ever that it has dipped to read 220 lbs. So although I haven’t hit the 210s yet this week, the direction is headed that way fast. Speaking of “fast,” I think another liquid FD may be in the cards for tomorrow, but I’ll enjoy a lunch out with coworkers today.

Day 6, Melb Aust NFD

Just a check-in today. Hoping for a reduced eating day tomorrow, but unsure if it will be a FD (unlikely), a FD800 (possible) or a CD (maybe). Very busy with my study at present.

Read all the posts, good to see all the positive energy and vibes people are giving off.

Keeping on the downward trail!

Day 6 – Rural Nebraska, USA – OMAD

My belly began to feel icky yesterday morning and finally, in desperation, cut up a peach to eat to see if that would help any. Wasn’t sure if it was a lack of salt or water or what. The peach was brown inside, however, so I ate an avocado–with lots of salt–instead. It didn’t really help, and I figured if food didn’t make me feel better, “no food” wasn’t going to make me feel worse, so I didn’t eat anything else. All that was around 9:30 and it was at least five hours before I realized I finally felt fine. So bizarre. I’m certain it wasn’t some sort of bug, and I still have too many carbs in me (at least I imagine I do!) from Sunday, so it wasn’t Keto flu, so I’m stumped what it was I experienced.

At any rate, I went about my day after considering and rejecting if it was actually a bug that I could give to others, and had an easy time of it. And the scale this morning? 143.4 So much for my Negative Nelly fears on Monday AM that I was stuck above 145 for the foreseeable future. 😅 The next trick is to STAY below 145 and that may be the far bigger challenge, but at least I’ve had two excellent days this week. By the time I eat tonight at 5:30, I’ll have been water-fasting for 69 hours. 😇 It’s entirely astonishing to me how easy it is.

@northgeorgia While there’s a lot to weigh against instant chicken bouillon, it struck me that its high sodium may make it the perfect choice, given the concern with losing sodium on a WF. What do others think?

@high5 I hope today’s FD goes perfectly for you, and how fun to have surfing lessons! I have to admit I’d be sitting on the beach with your DH, but I’m still delighted for you!! 😂🤣

@flourbaby Wonderful quote by Dale Carnegie; thanks for sharing!

@babs_b “I’m thinking do the behaviour first and then start looking at the results a while later.” I think that’s an excellent attitude.

Pocket List – Day 6 🍒
    @high5
    @daffodil2010
    @flourbaby
    @dvw

Day 6 — WFD

It was hard but I accomplished my goals yesterday. And we will have an unwilling WFD participant starting later today, we have to take one of our cats in for surgery bright and early tomorrow, so he’ll be doing OMD, poor kitty.

Had an unexpected call from my father, all is well and we were reminiscing of our family vacations. He was an avid mountain climber in the day, and before he and my mother split the whole family would go all over the Western Hemisphere to the bigger peaks. My. Ranier, the Canadian Rockies, Popocatépetl & Orizaba etc. But what we both remembered most was me sitting in the front seat with him reading the map and acting as his navigator and the hour long talks we shared. His 90 year old mind is sharp as tacks!

@babs_b I have a bad relationship with the scale, it makes me obsess and has too big an impact on my mood for the day. So I limit myself but also require of myself twice monthly weigh-ins. Keeps me honest but also lessens the impact on me. I certainly relate to the feeling of needing to be brave to face the scale.

@flourbaby, @penz, @funshipfreddie & me – am I missing anyone on the AF October list? I enjoyed some sparkling water with a bit of tart cherry juice in it for flavour instead of red wine with our steak this past weekend and it felt quite festive!

Honestly, I’m a tad put out that in day 3 of my water fast and I am experiencing none of the ‘full of energy’ ‘mind clearness’ I have read about. But, it has not been as difficult in the ‘worst days’ that I’ve read about either, so I guess it all balances out.

But I’m feeling a bit scatterbrained (as my mother would say) so apologies that this post is all over the place.

Pocket List – Day 6 🍒
    @high5
    @daffodil2010
    @flourbaby
    @dvw
    @mariaelena

Second Post

I’d like some advice. Next week DH and I are spending four days in upstate New York “leaf peeping” with some dear friends. I simply won’t be able to do any sort of fast, but I want to be controlled somehow, so I was thinking I’d be very determined, and do OMAD every day. But then my friend mentioned that there aren’t any lovely restaurants around where we’re staying, and what she and her hubby do on such trips is have lovely lunches and then make a charcuterie board for supper. With wine, of course. 🤣😂

ZBC is automatic–the though of food before later in the morning is truly repulsive to me, so I find it simple even when the smells are lovely.

But a lovely meal at lunch (which will likely include wine) and charcuterie plus wine in the evening sound like a recipe for weight gain.

Any clever ideas for how to “fit in” without having to struggle with self-control? Or is it possible that having the large meal at noon will naturally help with weight control? Is there any point in me trying really hard at lunch to swerve all refined carbs?

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice, knowledge is welcome. 😘

2nd post

@stitchincarol For me personally, I know I need that salt on water fast days. I wonder if that was the trick. I get hungry and headachy and ‘almost sick’ feeling when I water fast if I don’t add salt (in my case Himalayan pink salt) to every other glass of water I have ( and on water fast days, that is a ton of glasses! Lol). My normal Blood-pressure has always been on the very low end of the normal range and personally I think I need more salt than many folk.

But way to go on the extended water fast! I can’t say I’m enjoying mine, but it is not horrible either. Again, I credit my 5:2 and occasional OMD as preparing well for it.

Second Post

@funshipfreddie – OMG, no idea what happened there! I also managed to write something odd for @stitchincarol‘s name too!
    I love your handle! But starship could also be good, ahaha!

Yes, I am looking forward to Cornwall… I will say hi to it from you 🙂

@maria elena – I actually need extra salt on a normal FD, let alone on a WF! So I am totally with you!

@stitchincarol}
    @northgeorgia} Agree totally! Whilst not massively healthy (as stock cubes often contain MSG etc) the Instant Chicken Bouillon will be a useful injection of sodium on a WFD! I tend to go for Miso Soup instead and I add lots of extra salt (Himalayan like @maria elena)

@stitchincarol – I am probably not the best person to ask about holidays! I just ‘go for it’ when I’m on hols, haha!

However one thing I will say is that once I have had one glass of wine, I have ZERO self-control!

Saying that, I have done OMADs where I only eat lunch! I find if I have a massive lunch it is really easy to skip dinner… and then the following morning you only have to skip breakfast (which you are used to) and then you are back at lunch again and ready to eat!!!

However, I like to eat, drink and be merry when I am on holidays 🙂 :0)

Day 6 USA – MFD

Planning on doing a “mostly” or “modified” FD today. I’ve been very happy with maintenance and ZBC lately but not able to get toSilver Sneakers much due to appointments. Oh well. I try to walk and do some weights at home at least. My FitBit gives me my calories expended, and I need to move more.

@stitchincarol – enjoy upstate New York! We did a NY, Vermont, NH trip the first fall after I retired back in 2012 and it was beautiful. I wouldn’t fret much about complete fasting, but if you limit the size or portions you eat (even with some wine) I am confident you won’t gain an ounce. Are you going to any Finger Lake vineyards? They are fun and have tastings.

@funshipfreddie – is Penzance really a place?? I need to Google it. All I ever thought about was the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta that they made up the name. Cornish ice? Wow. I need to look up that area more. We’ve been to England a few times, but never enough.

Onward and downward.

Day 6 UK FD

Good to have got my 2 FDs under my belt , just need to stay steady for the rest of the week

Your trip sounds great @stitchincarol like a few others I’m not the best at denying myself on holiday , but weirdly charcuterie boards are usually ok for me, if you select the leanest cuts and take your time it can be ok

Please do google @songbirdme It’s a great place 🏴‍☠️

Day 7, FD, Aus

No way, @mariaelena, I’m not doing AF October! The best I can realistically achieve is being dry Monday to Thursday. That will be a big success for me. (And I can tick off yesterday as a successful AF day). Days, not months! 

Enjoy Cornwall @high5 – I’ve never been so a full report on your return please! Especially how you found your surfing experience.

@stitchincarol – perhaps enjoy lunch, and use the excuse that you are too full for any dinner? Alternatively, a charcuterie board (yum!) should have plenty of protein only options for you so you can partake something without getting distracted by carbs? My other excuse is I know I have no tolerance for alcohol at midday – for some reason, one glass of wine and I immediately need a nanna nap, which is not conducive to a sociable holiday! (Several glasses of wine in the evening tho, no problem.)

Day 7 pocket list:
    @penz

Day 7, NFD, U.K.

I’m off on hols in a couple of hours 🥂

Good FD yesterday but very hungry last night and starving this morning ! Both most unusual for me! I can only surmise that it is because I had not stuffed myself in the two preceding days!!!!! 😄😄

Anyway I am going to try and hang on until 10 am and then hopefully have a celebratory coffee and cake from our local coffee shop, once we get into the car!

@penz – love your nanna nap story!! Me too…!!! 😄 Also drinking at lunch makes me CRAVE sugar!!

@brightonbelle – so nice to have that box ticked early-ish in the week! 😅

@stitchincaril – enjoy your trip!!! I hear it’s stunning – I have a friend who lives in Vermont …

Over & Out! 😎
    Xx

Day 7 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD 2nd B2B

Ha ha @flourbaby, I had to think hard as to what the AF meant after your Day 6 title….I really thought you were being as in how the younger folk mean “AF” 😀 Still, it’s a good way to say you are determined for that FD to be good 😆

and @starshipfreddie…..way to go @funshipfreddie! Hilarious!

I was not able to do my proposed WFD as I was so cold after my long commute in and out if town and then having to catch up on work, and a hot bouillon did not help. So at 4pm I had half my FD lunch salad, and finished it off at 7pm with a corn on the cob. So a good FD nevertheless.

Good trip to the doctor, absolutely definitely do NOT have gout or arthritis, so we discussed ways to manage the foot, go see a physio, etc etc and I left fee,I got happier about my health than I have in a while. A two week holiday of relaxing sure helped the mood too.

Still losing weight, my 80/20 plant based suiting me so well.

Have a great holiday @high5, enjoy Cornwall.

You too @stitchincarol, I have heard about these “Leaf Peeping” trips, and enjoy your hols, that’s what they are there for.

@mariaelena, I have never gone completely dry for longer than 3 weeks, and that’s because I was ill, but I do practice Dry till Fridayand often Saturday, and I might start the Dry but now from Sunday. But good luck to all you in the AF – Alcohol Free club 👍

Day 7 – UK – NFD

@high5 enjoy your Cornish break!

@daffodil2010 Great the gout / arthritis diagnosis has been thrown out. It’s incredible what a good break can do too.

A very quick check in today as I’m on three very tight deadlines with work 🙈. Today is a NFD but just keeping an eye out to make sure I stick to TDEE. I’m WFH today which feels like a treat again (after a year of WFH last year it really wasn’t a treat in the end!). There’s soup in the fridge for lunch and I’m planning on cooking a mushroom and veg biryani for dinner (another from the F800 recipe book). I’m definitely trying to ease back on the meat consumption!

Have a good Thursday all!

Day 7 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD 🚫🍷

@high5 & @stitchincarol – enjoy your hols! 🍂 🏝

@songbirdme – yes, Penzance is a real place, very close to Lands End. According to Wikipedia: ‘Penzance is the base of the pirates in Gilbert & Sullivan’s comic opera. At the time the libretto was written, 1879, Penzance had become popular as a peaceful resort town, so the idea of it being overrun by pirates was amusing to contemporaries’.

@flourbaby, @daffodil2010 – if I’m honest, I’ve often had a glass or two even on a FD! Allowing for the calories, of course. Which speaks volumes 🤦 Not quite the definition of a liquid fast; so yes, I’m better off leaving it alone.

Pocket List – Day 7 🍓
    @penz
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie

Day 7, London, UK, NFD …………..AF

I had a really good nights’ sleep and I feel refreshed and raring to go with boundless energy, of course I know …………….. “This too shall pass”😁😂

Happy Birthday @brightonbelle, I hope you have a fantastic day with fish & chips on the menu!! ……………….. I’ve had a recent craving, so F&C are currently haunting my dreams including FD daydreaming!!!😲

@daffodil2010. Phew, at least arthritis is off of the table, so debilitating, I have an arthritic thumb (I know!🤷🏼‍♀️?👎🏼👎🏼) sometimes I just want to chop it off!!!

@funshipfreddie, I see you licking the inside of the glass on a FD ………………. every calorie counts after-all🤣🤣🤣🤣

I know it’ll take some time to get back into the swing of things with this fasting malarky, but the AF days are already resulting in some clear thinking, resolve and to be honest, quite a bit of “WHAT were you thinking????” To have reversed so many years of steady weight loss by allowing stress to get the better of me (just an excuse) and throwing caution to the wind seems ridiculous!! I know tomorrow is another day, but today must be all about ‘carpe diem’!!!!👍🏼👍🏼

Enough rambling, back to work, stay strong folks!!!!

“Success is not the absence of failure; it’s the persistence through failure.”
    — Aisha Tyler

Day 7 UK NFD

Thanks @flourbaby – alas no f&c , quiet celebration tonight at a Japanese restaurant 🍤

Ha ha @daffodil2010 – I too thought we had some hipsters posting – so glad to hear the gout news

Have a good one all

Day 7 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 220 lbs again! This was after I gave in to a lunchtime Taco Bell craving (co-workers weren’t there, so I was on my own). I knew the calories were half of my TDEE balance, so I had a healthier, smaller, fiber heavy supper. 220? Yay… can’t wait until tomorrow’s weigh in!

Going for another WFD/liquid FD today with a cup or two of bouillon this evening.

@stitchincarol Enjoy the leaf tour! I wouldn’t worry too much while traveling. If anything, increase water intake and eat only when hungry (if that means ZBC, great, but there could be some tempting breakfasts!).

Pocket List – Day 7 🍓
    @penz
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 7 — NFD

Can’t report success on the WFD I wanted yesterday. Felt not good so listened to body and broke it at 70 hours. Did a 500 day instead.

Lots on plate today including rushing out now to get cat to surgery so good thoughts to all.

Day 7 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD500

Yesterday went nicely. I didn’t make it to supper, eating an avocado at one o’clock, so my total water fast was 65 hours, except for the avocado on Tuesday morning. I probably ate more calories in the form of nuts than I should have last night, but it was not out of control, so I feel good about it. And the scale this morning is 143.8, so that’s another thing to feel good about.

DH and I have a funeral to go to in another town this morning, and I’m dreading the lunch afterward, trying not to eat, and being pestered to go get some food, all kindly said. It’s in the town where we used to live, and I imagine I’ll see lots and lots of friends there. I’m considering the line, “Oh, I’ll eat later; right now I’m much more interested in visiting with you and other friends.” I think that’ll work!

@daffodil2010 Thanks so much for spelling out AF is “alcohol free.” I got what was meant, but I sure didn’t know what the two words were, LOL! And what a joy/relief that you do NOT have gout AND that you’re losing weight finally. It’s so satisfying when everything comes together and things happen as we intend and desire with this WOL.

@high5 Have fun on your Cornish vacation!

@brightonbelle Happy Birthday!!

@mariaelena I hope your cat’s procedure goes well.

Pocket List – Day 7 🍓
    @penz
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol

Day 8, NFD, Aus

A good LFD yesterday. they do get easier, and like @flourbaby, I feel like I’m back in the swing of things.

Lots of good news to read in the forum this morning – no gout or arthritis, new scale results, holidays for some. Happy times!

Hope your cat is ok, @mariaelena.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Day 7 USA – NFD

Yesterday’s FD was just fine (a busy day, no time to eat) but the sleepless and cold night that followed wasn’t fun. Today was another busy day (equipment failures remedied all day!) – new TV cable box, new car battery, and new wireless keyboard. Yeah for me!

@funshipfreddie – so fun to read your blurb about Pirates and Penzance. The furthest west across there that we have been was Stonehenge. Sorry we didn’t take more time to head further.

@daffodil2010 – hope all the pain goes away now that you know what it isn’t.

Onward and downward.

Day 8 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Another good FD, (I confess @funshipfreddie to having a crisp glass of white wine with my FD half sweet potato baked…just cos DH really needed wine after a bad day so I had a glass in sympathy…all calories counted 😄)

Tonight my girlfriends are coming over for the night, we are going for a meal in my local village restaurant, then a pub crawl of the two pubs in my village ….its two years since we did anything like this so looking forward to it! Still shenanigans with vaccine passes to show etc but life really is getting back to normal it seems.

Have a great weekend everyone. I am off on the motorbike with DH on Sunday for the first and last time this year, but it will feel like a milestone that I can actually go in the bike now…and as we wil be out all day I will swerve the usual Sunday lazy grazing and wine sipping!!!!

Day 8 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 🚫🍷

7 days alcohol-free! Which probably sounds crazy to someone who doesn’t drink. It even sounds crazy to me, when I consider the fact that I didn’t really drink until I was in my mid-40’s! It really is a slippery slope. Still losing weight though, so I just need to decide what I’m going to replace those empty calories with; although the alcohol-free drinks aren’t exactly calorie-free.

Enjoy the pub crawl @daffodil2010. I got my official vaccine pass yesterday too. Really looking forward to getting off this continent for a while sometime next year ✈️

@northgeorgia – looking forward to hearing that you’re finally off that plateau & moving towards 200! 🥇

Day 8 UK NFD

Well I’m very impressed with 7 days @funshipfreddie 👏but I think I’ll stick with DTF

Enjoy your pub crawl @daffodil2010 it’s so nice being able to do things that we all took for granted 🍻

Fairly quiet Friday for me have a lunch out tomorrow so just aiming to make wise choices Have a good one all

Day 8 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 218 lbs. Was sooo close to 217, but I think a friend sending me a probable drunken text at 4 a.m. disrupted my sleep and threw things off a bit (grrrr…) Well, might as well blame it on that haha

I will break my fast this morning. I think I could use a little protein because of the early wake-up. @funshipfreddie Yes, I hope I’m finally over the plateau and am on the way down to 200 🙂

Take care, all!

Day 8 – Rural Nebraska, USA – OMAD

Fridays are always a huge challenge to me to try to figure out the food thing. I have been sitting here thinking and contemplating ever since I hesitantly typed “OMAD,” wondering how the day will go and if that’s the best plan. The beautiful thing is that yesterday’s FD brought me down again to 142.8; those 130-somethings are looking closer and more possible than it has seemed for awhile now.

I have been realizing that we’re well into the month and there are lots of regulars who haven’t posted yet; I hope they’ll be back soon!

LOL, @funshipfreddie}
    @daffodil2010} Okay, I’ll ‘fess up also: after all that water fasting, and exemplary behavior, I was out of ambition, and I too had a glass of wine last night with my FD meal. Calories NOT counted, but not over 800, and probably closer to 500. 😂🤣

@daffodil2010 What a lovely evening tonight and day on Sunday you have planned; have a great time!

@northgeorgia YAY!!!!! That must have been SO exciting and rewarding to stare at that number!!!!

It’s a quiet day today, with a zoom call with my sisters at 11am and some time at church to do the work I’d normally do next Thursday, when I’ll be leaf-peeping instead. Which I guess is not that quiet, since I also want to run to the grocery store, but somehow it feels relaxed, so I’ll just go with the “quiet” descriptor. Have a great one, everyone!

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 315 total)

You must be logged in to reply.