On Target October – Monthly Challenge for October 2021: Come & Join Us :-)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
On Target October – Monthly Challenge for October 2021: Come & Join Us :-)

This topic contains 303 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  BrightonBelle 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 315 total)

• Hello there fellow fasters!

I have volunteered to host this month’s challenge which was started in May 2016 by @coda.

This is an international forum full of very supportive people, some have lost great amounts of weight, some are half way there, some sitting on Mount Plateau, others are just starting their journey.

What you will always find here is great support, no judgement, friendships, lots of laughs, and the wonderful comradeship that comes from sharing this 5:2 Fast diet, this wonderful Way of Eating (WOE), this great Way of Life (WOL).

We are all in it for the health benefits as well as the resulting weight loss.

The usual format is to start your post with the day of the month, where you are and whether you are fasting (FD) or having a non fast day (NFD).

Some may want to post that they are having a Controlled Day (CD – below TDEE), others a Liquid only Fast Day (LFD). Some have back to back (B2B) fast days.

For example, my first post will likely be:-

DAY 1, UK – FD

If you start the challenge later in the month you are still always welcome.

Please note that even though it might be your first day on the challenge, if its October 8th (for example) then it is Day 8.

As this is a true worldwide forum, stating what the date is where you are keeps us all on the same track to know what day it is for you – and it is fun to hear about the different lifestyles, weathers, stories and customs from all parts of the globe.

Post as often or as little as you like, but most have found that a daily post gives daily accountability and helps us toe the line whilst we are off fighting various dragons.

Through experience, trial and error, you will figure out what best fits your lifestyle and what works for you. With all of us together spurring each other on, we all make a great team together for the October 2021 challenge 🙂

My FOLLOWING post will include the link to October’s stats sheet. Again, this is purely personal as to whether you fill this in or not.

Lets do this!!! As @at says: “Together we are stronger!”

Second Post –

Here’s the link to October metrics if you would like to record your stats:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uAnICNhhGXhLowZeuOEyMqM6JOdVeHAVuZ1lxvQ6Pnk/edit#gid=0

This is actually an amended version of February’s google sheet of stats. This is because I haven’t used the metrics sheet since February!

I was pleased to note that I have totally hit all of my goals – yay!

I have inserted the names of those who were on the February sheet and who were also on the September challenge.

If you aren’t a whizz with Google Sheets, please let us know if you would like me (or anyone else who is used to google sheets) to add your name and your stats to the stats spreadsheet :0)

@high5 – please count me in for October, & thanks so much for hosting!

Here’s a list of abbreviations that any new joiners may find useful:

ABBREVIATION LIST
    Here’s the list of common abbreviations used throughout this challenge and added to on an ongoing basis:
    16:8 – 16 hours fasting 8 hours eating window
    5:2 – 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc. etc. etc.…….)
    B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
    BMR – Basal Metabolic Rate
    CFD – Controlled Food Day (below your goal weight TDEE, eg 1000 calories)
    DAFD – Day after fast day
    DH,DD, DS – Darling Husband Daughter, Son etc
    DTF – Dry ‘Til Fri (for those limiting alcohol to weekend only)
    EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
    EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (we’ve all had one of those days – or several!)
    FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
    FD800 – Fast Day (800 calories) – see also MFD
    HUNGER DRAGON – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce has an inner warthog!)
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    Keto – way of eating that generates ketones
    K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple Stupid!
    LC – Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
    LOL – Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    NFD – Non Fast Day
    OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD – One Meal A Day
    PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of @penz)
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE – Time Restricted Eating
    WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WFH – Working From Home
    WOL – Way of Life
    WOCA – Women Of a Certain Age
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast Club

On your first post, please do give a quick intro about yourself in the very first post – mostly for the benefit of the newbies. Just give us a brief blurb about your journey so far and what you aim get from this way of life (WOL).

You can add any comments/questions/moans/whinges/triumphs… or anything you feel like you want to share with the rest of the forum. We all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon and days when we hang in there for dear life…so if you want to share it – post it.

Tips, tricks, recipies and questions can also be shared – most of us are logged on at one time or another and can clarify things, offer advice, support, etc., when needed – this is the great thing about this international forum: there’s always someone online!!!!

Over the course of these monthly challenges, there have been small groups doing their own mini-challenges – called ‘pocket fasters’ or ‘pocketeers’ – they set a target and support each other through it. Anyone can join one of these groups or start a mini pocket fast – it’s entirely optional and flexible.

5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

@high5 – count me in too, thanks for hosting.

Day 0 – USA/GA – I’m in for October!

I am a 47 y/o male in northeast Georgia in the US, and have lost 61 lbs since January 2020. My goal is to lose an additional 64 lbs to get to a mid-range healthy weight (although truthfully, if I get to the high end of “healthy”, I’ll be thrilled). I am also hoping to no longer be categorized as “obese” before the end of the year — although that might have to wait to the end of winter next March. This month, my goal will drop just ever so slightly to 216 lbs. I plan to do this, and hopefully surpass this goal, by sticking to a basic 5:2 WOL with mindful eating on most NFDs, AND by considering the factors mentioned by Jason Fung in his book “The Obesity Code.”

I’m in for October!

I’m a 62yo woman in the US who used to weigh 132, even after birthing three babies. But several across-states moves and dramatic changes in our lives (good, but dramatic) saw me shoot up to 145 and then as high as 166. I’ve been doing 5:2 off and on since 2013, and find this forum truly helps me keep the focus, which helps me find success, so I’m thankful for everyone on this group.

I recently read Dr. Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code and my views on weight loss have been forever shifted. My piano-teaching schedule on Tuesdays allows me to easily (?? 😂) do a water fast and that has made all the difference, and I’m finally losing weight. Currently 145.2, my goal by Halloween is 139–a bit of a stretch since I’m not at my 9/30 goal, but I think it’s possible.

In addition to WF on Tuesdays, I do a typical 500-calorie fast on M & Th, and avoid sugar and flour (refined carbs) every day. I have a family birthday in October, however, and a five day trip to upstate New York to see the fall colors, so there will certainly be some challenges. But then, this is a way of LIFE, and life will always throw us curve balls.

Thanks, @high5, for hosting October!

Day 0

I’m a late 50’s woman who has spent the previous couple of decades firmly (up and down) in the overweight BMI working to settle in a healthy BMI for the next few decades. I want to shed ~25lb.

5:2 & ZBC-16:8 regularly. Occasionally OMAD. I watch that sugar intake closely, and try to restrict carbs, but fruit and potatoes are constantly beckoning. Exercise is an important part of what I’m doing.

Also, for October I’m contemplating an extended water fast of 72-120 hours. I have successfully water fasted for up to 60 hours before.

I live in the Western Hemisphere, nowhere in particular north of the equator.

October goals
    -lose 4-5 lb
    -moderate+ cardio exercise 30 mins 6 days weekly
    -resistance exercise Arms: 2X weekly, Legs: 2X weekly
    -send snail mail 🎃 greetings with long letter to each family member
    -learn more about sleep: connection to health, hormones & inflammation
    -stay accountable on this board daily

Thank you @high5 and all for being here!

Day minus 1. OMAD Marsala. Sicily

Please count me in for October. The weight is creeping on a bit, but honestly, Sicily has the best food ever! It’d be rude not to eat it.
    Happy Thursday all.

I’m in for October as well!

Day 1, NFD, Aus

Hello all! I’m in Canberra on the east coast of Australia so often one of the first to post each day. I’m excited to be joining @high5 and all of you for another month of fasting.

I’m married, two dogs which get me out of bed in the mornings (sometimes – like today – far far too early). I’ve been doing 5:2 on and off for about 5 years now. When I’m “on”, wow, the weight drops off. Who’da thunk? But I do like my red wine and gin martinis and this is the undoing of my good intentions. I get into bad habits, skip FDs telling myself there’s always tomorrow, and the weight creeps back. After several months of missing my mojo, I feel it is slowly settling in and the last few weeks I’ve managed my LFDs on Mondays and Thursdays.

Now, to add in Dry til Fri – can’t quite see myself doing OctSober!

Let’s have a great month everyone.

Day 1, U.K. – FD

High5 here (formerly known as fivetwofan5252)

I’ve been doing IF since around 2015 (can’t quite remember exact year) and for any newbies reading – IT WORKS!!

Right now I’m nearly in maintenance!

I was so pleased yesterday when I accessed the stats on the Google sheet. I made all my goals on there in February and then never looked at the Google sheet ever again.

But guess what?! I have hit ALL of those goals that I set in February! 🎉🎉🎉

I’m now aiming to lose a further two pounds under my original goal weight.

Being two pounds under my original goal weight will allow me to fully enjoy holidays and all celebrations without worrying about what I eat/drink. 🥂😋

My goal for this month is to have CDs (rather than NFDs) on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I will continue with 4:3 when I can this month as I’m taking a lot of holiday during October!!!

Realistically given my upcoming hols, I will aim to finish the month where I started.

Second Post

Ps I’m female aged 50

@emma Taylor – ENJOY your wonderful continued Sicilian holiday!
    You’ll be delighted to know that weather in U.K. is now hideous!

@penz – Our furry friends! 🐶 In fact you reminded me of another goal for myself for October – I need to increase the number of dog walks I do (but don’t worry my dog already gets plenty!)

@maria elena – the sleep / jet lag / cortisol is a really interesting one. From the little I’ve read: Raised cortisol = raised insulin = fat deposition.

Please do post your research findings here!! 🙏

@stitchincarol – massive respect re your water fasts!
    As I’ve said before and just like you, I ❤️ Dr Jason Fung!

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

A good way to start the new month; a third of a kilo down after yesterday’s FD, so I’m starting the month at 70.2 kgs. And dry til November?! 😱 That’s the plan anyway. I know if I can just get over the weekend it’ll be a cinch; maybe…

About me:- David, 59. Originally from Manchester in the UK, living in Durban, Kwazulu-Natal, on the east coast of South Africa. I started fasting in 2014 after seeing Michael Mosley’s ‘Eat, Fast & Live Longer’ documentary. I follow TRE, seldom eating before noon. I do mostly 5:2, I don’t eat before 6 pm on FDs & I will sometimes do an extra FD if I’ve taken my eye off the ball.

Wishing everyone a successful On Target October! 🎯

Day 1 – UK – NFD

Hello hello! I’m so happy to be continuing on into October as a part of this group. I’m a woman in my mid 30s from the UK and successfully lost weight on the 5:2 back in 2016. I have since gained it (and a bit more) back due to many different factors.

I am using a technique called Goal Attainment Scaling this month, borne from my mantra of ‘just two good days a week’. So my central goal is 8 fast days this month. A not so good but still OK result would be 4 fast days. A brilliant result will be anything in excess of 8, but to make it measurable I’ll say 10!

I’m drawing myself up a chart so I can tick off my 8 days and show myself some progress.

I have weightloss goals, but I feel that fixing my behaviour around fasting needs to be the first goal before I can actually view those weight loss figures as goals instead of something that feels like a target disappearing ever further into the distance.

So much of my issue has definitely been my mindset – aka the frustration at myself for not getting into the mindset and allowing my RESOLVE to slip, so I’m throwing all the techniques to help solve that.

Thank you @high5 for hosting this month! 💐

Day 1 – UK – FD

Good morning everyone and a big thank you to @high5 for stepping up to host us for this month 🤗

After a grey and wet start to the day here we now have blue skies and sunshine 🌞 to start the October Challenge on a positive note so it has inspired me to start with a FD!
    For those new to the challenges a little bit about myself:- I am a 63y.o. female living with my DH in the beautiful Lake District ⛰ since we both retired in 2013, we have a married daughter who has 4 fur babies – 3 black 🐈‍⬛ and an adorable beagle called Archie.

I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 as I had gained weight during my last couple of years at work and was fed up with being overweight and wanted to enjoy my early retirement and get fitter!
    I discovered and decided to join the challenge in November 2016 as I had plateaued for around 3 months and managed to reach maintenance in early December 2016 – Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs. Height = 165cm

After a few years of staying in maintenance effortlessly, I have had a few wobbles during this past year but with this WOL and by sticking to the monthly challenges I have so far managed to stop any permanent unwanted upward trend getting out of control – Maintenance now takes some effort but it is so worth it!!!

My personal motto since reaching maintenance has been “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now” and it has stood me in good stead as a motivator

Pocket List – TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER
    @high5
    @at

Right off to get ready for a walk whilst the weather holds out!!

Day 1 – Canada 🇨🇦 – CD

Good morning everybody. So glad to see the beginning of a new month.

I’m a 60 year old woman living on the east coast of Canada. I lost about 30 lbs following the Fast800 plan and I still have 5 more to go. Finding the last little bit a tough slog. Maybe I’ll try a weekly LF like @stitchincarol.

So great you’ve reached your goal @high5! Well done 👏

Love your motto @at.

Take care all.

Day 1 UK NFD

Morning all and thanks @high5 for hosting

I really need to get my act together this month I’m 59 (last month I’ll be able to say that as I’ll be 60 next week ) I joined @coda on the very first challenge and successfully but slowly lost around 20lbs . Got too complacent gained most of it back, rejoined the forum was doing pretty well – was at the top end of my “happy zone” thinking about getting into maintenance and wham ! history repeated itself – birthdays weddings seeing friends & family after 2 years and I’ve managed to gain 6 lbs pounds in 2 months

So time to turn things around – I like what you said @babs_b and I too am looking at the root cause and want to change.I’ll be logging in daily , I’ll be with @penz in the DTF club as I know my drinking has been a big part in the weight gain – so onwards and downwards

Day 1. OMAD Marsala

@high5 – it does seem a bit mean but yes, I’m thrilled the weather in the UK is awful. 😳. Our friend James is coming out to meet us in a couple of weeks. He’s a teacher in London and had a rotten summer, made worse by the very hot Indian summer we had, just AFTER he went back to work. So I’m looking forward to seeing him at the end of October.
    Short biog – I’m in my mid sixties. Always been around BMI of 25. I’m tall so it’s easier for me to hide extra weight, which I’ve used as an excuse… been doing various versions of fasting since about 2017, and I really like eating what I want, but infrequently. Fasting works considerably better when you cut out alcohol, and when I was doing 5:2 and dry till Fri it worked a treat. OMAD suits me better because it’s easier, but, I’m now drinking and my weight is pretty static. I really need to lose around 20lbs, preferably a bit more. Once I get back home, I’ll have a rethink.

Day 1 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Yesterday’s FD wasn’t. It wasn’t on target, it wasn’t limited to HFLC foods, it flat-out wasn’t successful. Why do we all occasionally give in to days like that? GAH. I’m trying not to beat myself up, but I’m sure not very happy with myself. Oh well, new day, new opportunities.

@high5 KUDOS for reaching your February goals!!! Sooo exciting!

I love reading everyone’s bios and wish us all for October the greatest resolve, perfect psyching, and effortless obedience to our eating plans!

Day 1 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 220 lbs. Nice. Going to make this a 210s month after it’s all averaged out.

I’m doing ZBC this morning because I’m not too hungry and was a bit naughty yesterday. I’ve been craving a bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats like crazy all week long, and I finally decided to allow myself that little treat, but only if I had a nice spicy bowl of soup first (help reduce the chances of refilling the cereal bowl after the indulgence — and it worked).

@stitchincarol I wouldn’t beat yourself up over it. This is a WOL, and sometimes if you have a craving long enough, psychologically you need to “feed” it. But as Jackson Dejardins (another online IF-er on YouTube) says, “sometimes you have to eat the &#$% cookie! If eating one cookie now stops you from eating a whole box at home, then it’s totally worth it.” Most of my instant cravings will go away, but if I have one over 2-3 days or if it is particularly intense, it makes sense to sacrifice a few calories on a NFD than to sacrifice the entire weekend. By the way, YES! I think I’ll try to convert at least one of my FDs per week into a liquid FD. I’ve been noticing more than half the time, I wouldn’t eat my FD meal at work, and when I get home, it’s usually about 6 or 6:30 pm, so — why am I bothering? The broth helps me by late afternoon/early evening, and only adds about 5 calories per cup plus a few electrolytes, and in conjunction with HFLC NFDs, seems to work well.

I have made a decision. My 2-liter soft drink bottles are collecting dust again, and I haven’t even opened the Dr. Pepper sitting in my refrigerator since putting it in there sometime last week. I took it back out last night, and will offer them to my family members. I’ll keep just one bottle on reserve (an off-brand), but I’ve decided when I really want a soft drink is when I’m eating out. I don’t eat out too often, maximum 4 times a week. If it’s takeaway, it’s with family, so they can have the beverages at their places. If it’s in a restaurant, it depends, but at most sit-down places, I prefer water. In other words, it appears my addiction to soft drinks may be coming to an end, and it really may be nothing more than an occasional “treat” for me. This is pretty amazing.

My attitude is “carb reduction” not elimination. I mean, we eventually are going to want something starchy or sweet, or it’s going to show up at a function. So, I just try in my day-to-day to purposely avoid anything with high amounts of added sugar. I’m also considering how to make a meal tasty with meat, eggs, dairy, nuts, and spices. I’m restricting carbs without telling myself I’m restricting carbs. I see my cabinet full of pasta, and I choose to eat something else instead. Then I may have a little, but just a little, every other day, to prove that I’m not eliminating carbs (although technically, yeah I am). I don’t think fruit is evil, so when I get a sweet craving, it’s my go-to. But I do try to eat them closely with the main meal instead of a snack. I want to eliminate snack times as much as possible. I did snack once yesterday, though 🙁

My mother has made a nice pork roast with carrots and potatoes and threw in a biscuit (BritEngl: scone-type baked good) to “sop up the juices.” I think what I’ll try to do with that is cook up some bell peppers and onions in butter, add in some cilantro and green onions to stir fry into it, then add in the leftovers to heat it all through. I’ll crumble the biscuit into the mixture, and add extra spice. Served with vegetables/salad and a piece of cheese, that will make a very filling meal. Of course, it’s off the cards if the family wants takeout tonight (typical on a Friday, if it’s going to happen).

OK, now I’m just rambling. Happy October everyone, and best wishes to us all!!

Day 1 — NFD

On target yesterday. On target for me on NFD food wise is at or under my calculated (guesstimate) goal weight maintenance calories (and at least 16:8 restriction). And as always trying to keep refined carbs and added sugar near 0 and not going overboard on carbs otherwise. I am being mindful of my fruit and baked potato carb/sugar intake but not restricting it yet. As I’m seeing expected results, I’m hoping restricting that won’t be necessary.

I’m eating a lot more fat than I used to, my mom was a low fat fanatic, and it is hard to allow myself that full pat of butter or put more than a quick squirt of oil on my roasting veggies. But wow, it truly seems to be controlling that snacking habit. As a matter of fact, keeping that fat higher seems to allow me to eat less calories overall. Well, roughly anyway – I’m not going crazy counting calories like I have in the past. I only occasionally weigh something to make sure I’m not estimating myself into portion creep.

It has been making me wonder if I had not grown up during the demonize fat craze time if I would have had the weight struggles I’ve had.

So first day of the month accountability: current weight 166 BMI 28.7 (well overweight) WHtR (waist to height ratio) .49 (healthy but .50 is overweight so not very much in healthy). It would be grand to start Nov no more than 161 lb. I’m thinking that weight should start to show and that would make me feel good. But my weight appears to be evenly distributed thus I may not really see results in clothing until I drop 10 more, so I won’t count on it.

One other benefit- we are saving enough money with my better eating and 5:2 that we plan to splurge on steaks this coming weekend! YAY!

Sending warm and encouraging thoughts around the world to all!

Day 1 USA – NFD

Happy October everyone! In our family we do “Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit” to catch the first greeting of the month for luck. Actually, I don’t believe in luck but believe in Divine leading and intervention. 😀

I am Gwynne, from Illinois, married 73 y.old female, I found myself pushing 200 pound (@90 kg) in 2015 so at the recommendation of a Words With Friends pal from Australia, I began 5:2 in March. Joined @coda for the May challenge and have not missed one since then. It’s been a wonderful journey with so many great people all these years. I lost about 40 pounds over about 10 months and have generally used 6:1 and OMAD in maintenance. I try to do Silver Sneakers (seniors work-outs) 2-3 times a week and carefully watch calories with MyFitnessPal (MFP) each day.

Yes, I am a SongBird, former general music teacher, piano player, and community choir director. We hope the pandemic stipulations in Illinois will allow our choir to sing again soon! It’s been far too long since I have sung as much as I know I should!

I look forward to getting to know newbies and keeping up with our wonderful partnership.

Onward and downward.

Sorry – wrong – it was 2016 (5 years ago!) that I began 5:2

Day 1 – Minnesota -NFD

Thanks again @high5 for hosting this month’s challenge, and please count me in. I am pleased and surprised to say I lost 2.5 lbs last month ( a bit over a Kg).

My DH and I will be taking off this evening on our vacation and we will be traveling around for the next two weeks, so I will not be posting daily. I’m hoping to keep my intake mindful, and I may try for a FD here or there, but no promises. The last half of the month I’ll get back into full 5:2 swing.

I’m a woman in my mid sixties, at normal or healthy BMI now, @154 lbs (169cm or 5 ft 6.5 inches) after losing about 22 lbs in the last 14 months. I’ve done 5:2 off and on since 2016 and was also a participant in the first Challenge of May 2016. When I “forget” to do two FDs a week, I start gaining back the weight. I think I’m one of those who will always have to do 5:2 to maintain at a healthy weight. 6:1 just doesn’t work for me. I also need to read the forum for motivation and post often, if not daily, for accountability.

Have loved all the positivity and good planning I’ve been reading in the posts today. Wishing everyone well while we head off to the shores of Lake Superior and the beautiful Autumn colors for a week and then south to Iowa to visit family.

Day 2 U.K. NFD

Yesterday my migraine came back so I aborted FD

However all I had was a healthy lunch and a mid afternoon snack (crisps, apple and cake!) so no dinner and no breakfast. And at least my mid afternoon snack wasn’t completely unhealthy as it included an apple hahaha!!

Next week I’m away 7th – 12th so sorry I will be absent !

The good news is (in some ways) that so far this month we are all old hands and therefore nobody is really needing any guidance or support as we are all here to help each other anyway! Though it’s a little sad that we have no new joiners this month…

@northerndawn – enjoy your trip!!

@songbirdme – my DH & i say « white rabbits » to each other on 1st too!!!

@mariaelena and @northgeorgia – on the subject of cravings! I totally agree if you’re craving something for days you should have it!
    Can I just say I’m mega impressed with your will power! If I crave something for more than 20 minutes then it will be in my mouth! 😀

Two things I’ve found helping with cravings recently – Brain Octane Oil (just one teaspoon seems to work) and FIBRE.

I discovered the fibre connection quite by accident! At the beginning of lockdown I decided to cut beans and lentils etcetera out of my diet as I had read the book about the lectins in them blocking absorption of other nutrients. I kept on eating large quantities of seeds and nuts however.

However since adding them back in I feel a lot less cravings! Particularly in the afternoon which is when I would get cravings normallly.

So I think for me personally that it was a mistake for me to cut out lentils and beans et cetera!!

Lastly, I don’t know if anybody listened to Dr Michael Mosley’s podcast called “just one thing?” He recommended the strategy of taking two squares of 85%+ dark chocolate if you get a craving for something sweet and for me this is really really working, I love it!

Happy Saturday!

Day 2 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

So quiet here? I’m guessing some people are taking the weekend off before they commit to On Target October, & I imagine there’ll be a flurry of activity on Monday…

Anyway, I had an amazing Italian lunch yesterday at Mama Luciano’s, a restaurant overlooking the Indian Ocean, & close to a small but busy airport, with small jets & helicopters landing & taking off every few minutes. Spectacular. It was also my first alcohol-free day in a long time, but wasn’t so bad. I got some alcohol-free ciders, & so kind of had the ritual of having a couple of after dinner drinks.

Coincidentally, this article is in today’s UK Mail, ‘What REALLY happens to your body if you ditch alcohol for a month’.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10045601/What-alcohol-REALLY-does-body.html

The spreadsheet was doing weird things again yesterday, but it looks all better today. Thanks to whoever fixed it. @at – was that you? 👀

Have a good weekend everyone ⛅️ 🌈

Day 2 UK NFD

Yesterday fine until 6 then a couple of cocktails and it went downhill from there , one of my commitments this month is to ACCURATELY record on MFP , I’m aware I’ve got into the habit of under estimating portion sizes and generally adopting a very rose tinted view so I’ve just recorded everything and it’s obvious why I’m gaining

So baby steps but I’m determined to turn it around this month

Oh how I envy you being in sunny Sicily @emma-taylor One of those horrible grey wet windy days here

Day 2 – UK – TDEE 🤞

A miserable day here as predicted 🌧🌧 so planning a baking and cooking day, but hopefully most will be eaten by DH……..
    *Black currant energy bar – flapjack mix with pistachios and figs added with a layer of thawed frozen blackcurrants in between the two layers of flapjack mix
    *Scones with raisins added
    *Damson crumble with hazelnut and khorasan topping for tonight
    * Hot and Sour Curried Cod pie with broccolini on the side for our evening meal

I have promised myself to log in daily this month for accountability especially to help motivate and keep me on track with my plan to reduce my intake of 🍷🥂🍸

@dvw – thanks – that motto has certainly helped motivate me to stay within my maintenance range
    whenever I slip a bit
    @brightonbelle – you can do this – October will be your month 🤞 Cocktails and wine stimulate my appetite too or perhaps it’s the mindless snacking that seems to happen 🤣
    @emma-taylor – not jealous much about your Sicily stay!!!!!! Enjoy
    @northgeorgia – come on make October your month too – the 210’s are within your reach especially if you can stick to your RESOLVE of giving up those soft drinks
    @mariaelena – 5lbs is definitely a doable goal for October – You’ve got this x
    @songbirdme – You show us that maintenance is doable – thank you for sticking with the challenges and sharing x
    @northerndawn – enjoy your vacation and I’m sure you’ll stay mindful – post when you can telling us of your travels
    @high5 – enjoy your break – look forward to catching up when you get back x
    @funshipfreddie – I saw that article as well but not sure I can go totally alcohol free this month but have certainly RESOLVED to cut back in October and November. Yes I did have a play with the spreadsheet – hope it continues to behave……

Hopefully we will have more joining us next week as we are missing some regulars and 🤞 we may have some newbies linking in too

Enjoy your weekend wherever you are and hope the UK residents don’t get drowned with all that predicted rain ☔️☔️

Day 2 OMAD Marsala

If it’s any consolation, it chucked it down here last night. And not great weather for the next few days but it is warm. Had our first poor meal yesterday. Spaghetti Carbonari for DH, which looked like scrambled egg. I’m no great cook, but I know it’s not meant to look like that….

Day 2 – Canada 🇨🇦 – NFD

Had far too many sweets yesterday and my plan is to continue today. Tomorrow is a new day ☺️. Tennis this morning then lunch with my lovely niece. We’re going to one of those cafes that give you a piece of pottery to paint and they fire it in the kiln, it should be fun but I’m not much of an artist. 😬

It’s a chilly morning and I’m hearing the weather forecaster saying there’s a ‘frost advisory for low lying areas’ – hmmm.

@at – your baking plans sound great.
    @funshipfreddie – that lunch spot sounds fabulous

Take care all.

Day 2 NFD

Yesterday went well ultimately but started oddly. I started making tuna fish salad for later and found myself digging into it before I had chilled it. Usually I don’t care for it until it has sat refrigerated for some time. But I couldn’t help myself. Not a problem, I was able to keep it to a sensible portion, but my planned 20:4 eating day went poof into a 17:7. Maybe my cats tuna desire is contagious? Lol

I finally figured out on my fitness tracker watch how to keep track of my weight resistance training yesterday without messing with my 30 min cardio goal. This will be very helpful. I find I need to report my accountability somewhere! (Here for food intake and fasting, my watch for exercise). I just need that extra motivation.

I’ll join the no alcohol October in solidarity to you who are trying to change habits. I don’t need empty calories while I’m trying to lose weight, anyway. I’m more of an after dinner drink type – and if I eat early, I’m able to forgo those more easily. And I AM eating an early dinner, at least M-F. But I usually have a glass of my favourite red wine when I have steak (a rare treat that is on this weekend menu) so I’ll have to figure something to replace that, as steak with water doesn’t quite do it for me – lol.

So many are traveling this October! We had plans to travel to see my 90 yr old father (it has been 2 years since we could do so) and a big thanksgiving dinner planned with him and my brother and sister for the 11th. That we had to cancel that trip saddens me greatly. He is doing well for a semi-invalid 90 yr old, but put his veto on our trip due to pandemic concerns. My mind agrees with him but my heart aches. He does have the final say, tho. He is such a remarkable man, and his mind is sharp as can be. We speak at least once a week. Since he retired about 10 yrs ago we have become very close.

Rambling, apologies.

Overcast and blah weather here, so I’m not sure what plans my sleepyhead DH and I have today. I don’t think he’ll have to work from home today, YAY.

Happy thoughts to all.

Day 2 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 220 lbs. Yesterday accidentally turned into OMAD! That was pretty cool. Of course the one meal I had was the expected weekly fast food Friday run. I only had about a half portion (yes, including half a soft drink — my first in over a week), and followed it up with fresh mozzarella, a few slices of deli chicken, grapes, and nuts. Not the best choices, but it proves fast food is high calorie, high carb, and doesn’t really satisfy for long — you want more. I think my stomach hated something, but it had settled before bedtime. Eating high fiber alongside or within minutes of a smaller portion junk/fast food meal might be a new strategy in my arsenal for those times when fast food is hard to avoid (ok, except NOT while in a business meeting or on a road trip for obvious reasons LOL)

@at I am definitely planning to permanently stay in the 210s this month — maybe get to the mid 210s! Although I won’t lie to myself and pretend I’ll never have a soft drink again (like I did last night), my mom was shocked when I presented her with over half a dozen Dr. Pepper 2 liter bottles yesterday afternoon.

“Whoa! You’re giving up soft drinks?”

“Well, it’s like this. I started thinking: I put a bottle in the refrigerator over a week ago and it hasn’t been opened. I haven’t really wanted any. It’s not that I plan to never drink one again, but the only time I really want one now is when eating out or bringing food back here, and not even a lot of times then.”

“They do start to lose their fizz after a while if they’re not being used. I’ll give these to your brother, and they might drink them while here so they’re not drinking up your Dad’s Pepsi.”

(Yeah, my family has a soft drink problem it seems!)

Under the counter, I have an off-brand 2L of soft drink, and four 500 mL Dr. Pepper bottles that are also gathering dust. I may give those away to someone at work, or keep them to psychologically make me feel “non-deprived” until they go bad. For all intents and purposes, I think I have kicked the addiction.

@high5 I was worried about beans, too. I think I’ll start adding some of those into a meal plan on NFDs to help increase fiber and satiety. I had forgotten about the recommendation of dark chocolate. It’s not my favorite, but who knows … the body likes novelty, so it could be another strategy in the near future!

My average weight didn’t really change from last week (I blame the sudden onset of this cold; thankfully, I’ve nearly recovered and should be back at work on Monday), but may I just end by saying how this is my lowest Saturday weigh-in ever? Oh, that sounded nice to admit haha!

Further to that, in addition to the mean average for the week (this week is 221), I look at mode and median (I’ll explain, no need to reference your math texts!) Mode is the number that pops up most often on the scales during the week; Median is if you line up all those numbers from lowest to highest in the week and pick the one in the middle. Mode last week was 222. This week it was a tie between 220 and 222. Median last week was 222. This week, it was 220. I have noticed when the Median and Mode start to dip below the mean average, then future weight loss tends to be imminent. Fingers crossed!

Day 2 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD500

Yesterday fell far short of the mark in so many way. The most obvious was the small baguette I bought and ate half of dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, telling myself the vinegar made it okay, a la Dr. Fung.

Yeah, uh-huh.

So today, I’m having a firm talking with myself, a la August RESOLVE. Reminding myself I’m not a victim on days that fall short of the mark, but the culprit, the instigator, and I’m better than that. I have choices, and I made lousy choices. That behavior needs to STOP. And on and on. I won’t say “Hopefully, today will go well,” because “well” is a choice on my part, and I’m capable of making good choices. So, instead, I’ll say “Today WILL go well, because I choose to make it so.” What my body really needs is a WFD (because, YUM, that bread tasted wonderful going down, but then, GAH!, it sat like a lump all night and interrupted my sleep for four hours), but I bought some Ahi Tuna yesterday and have lots of veggies in the fridge, so that’s what’s for dinner, no wine, and OMAD. No discussion needed, just a choice made.

@northgeorgia That was a lovely reminder for me after Thursday’s not-successful FD (which I’d like to call an epic -ailure, but don’t dare risk @penz‘s scold…but it certainly WAS a -ailure, as was Friday evening, far beyond a single cookie). And you’re right. But Thursday wasn’t “life,” it was epic tantrum by my inner 3yo, as was last night. Thankfully, I’ve taken that 3yo firmly in hand, told her the rules and given her the stink eye so that she’s retreated to her bedroom and closed the door; hopefully she won’t come out and throw another tantrum, but if she does, I will deal with her. And good for you for ditching the sodas! Given the amount of sugar/sweetness in them, I’ll just bet that’s going to make a big difference. Looking forward to celebrating with you as your weight begins to move down!

@songbirdme (me either on luck, me too on divine guidance and intervention) I’ve never heard of “Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.” Where’d that ever come from??

@northerndawn Sounds like a gorgeous trip; have a grand time!

@mariaelena No apologies needed for your rambling; I loved the details of your dad, and get my own mom-fix (who passed in 2015) from those who chatter about their own. 🥰💕

@funshipfreddie Thanks for the article; I’ll read it shortly.

Have an appointment with someone in 40 minutes to begin preparations for our church’s annual Turkey Supper so must get moving. Have a grand day, everyone!

Pocket List Day 2
    @stitchincarol

Day 2 USA 🇺🇸 NFD

Saturday, college football everywhere. I love it. Then tomorrow will be NFL – love this time of year.

@high5 – so sorry for your migraine. I feel for anyone who gets them – our eldest and #3 kid (both high achieving daughters) both get them with varying success controlling them. Funny how “rabbit” makes its way around the world!

@stitchincarol – getting ready for Thanksgiving Turkey already? Wow … yes, that’s not too far off! Our preoccupation with “Rabbit” began when our kids were in high school and their Spanish teacher did it as “Conejo conejo” (Spanish for rabbit), I have since read up more about that superstition https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_rabbit_rabbit

@northerndawn – enjoy your time up at Lake Superior! We must get back up that direction in fall sometime. We’ve done summer vacations at Hayward and Door County, but not in the fall.

@funshipfreddie – I admire your resolve for Sober October. I read that article about the bennies of not drinking, so hopefully they all work for you! I think my once or twice a week glass of red wine is still okay for me. Actually since I had a glass of lovely Merlot last night with my sports bar cheeseburger, I can’t join. Snap.. oh well.

@at – thanks for the props on doing maintenance. It is harder work than I thought it would be I smiled when I saw you mention “damson” – the first car DH and I bought in our marriage was a 1969 TR-6 in “Damson Plum” that really was a lovely burgundy convertible. Loved that little car that our family outgrew. We often lament that we didn’t keep her.

Onward and downward.

second post

Going well with no struggle to behave so far. It helps that I was at my meeting at church by 9:45 and only got home a few minutes ago at 3pm!

@songbirdme No, not Thanksgiving, just a turkey dinner that is a Thanksgiving menu; this is the fundraiser/community outreach event that our church of about 200 members does every year on the second Saturday of November. In the past, it was a sit-down dinner in the village auditorium with take-out available; last year, for the first time, we did take-out only, and it went so well we ran out of all food by 5:25, even though we were supposed to serve until 7pm! That made it an easy decision this year to do it exactly the same again. We serve close to 600 people, so it takes some serious planning. 😲😜😂 My job–other than the day of the meal–is to make any changes to the signup sheets and print them out, and that’s what was on this morning’s agenda; there was lots of thinking involved, so it was a two hour project…a lovely thing to keep me busy and away from home so that inner 2yo didn’t decide to come out and throw a tantrum. 😂🤣😉

Day 3 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@mariaelena – good to hear you’re joining the Sober October group! I just started reading Jason Vale’s ‘Kick the Drink…Easily!’ to give myself some motivation. He says it’s easy to stop drinking & the process is even ‘enjoyable’. Maybe he just switched booze for Valium? I’ll keep reading…

@at – thanks for sorting out the spreadsheet 🤗

Happy S🌞nday y’all, see you on the Pocket List tomorrow 🎯

Day 3. OMAD Marsala

Heavy heavy rain last night. I guess it hasn’t rained for a while, and the streets look refreshed and cleaner. DH made chickpea soup with fennel for supper last night. It was delish.

I read Jason Vale’s book Kick the Drink…Easily, and then gave up drinking for two years, and it was pretty straightforward. I’ve started and stopped a couple of times since, but I don’t think I view alcohol in the same way now. I just lost interest in it, which I’ve never done before. We were out last night, about 11.30, and the local square was full of young men ( as well as a mix of other people), eating ice cream. We both remarked ‘you’d never see that in England!’ Maybe it’s a Northern European thing, the fascination with alcohol. I think that it might be because alcohol helps to break down some of our English reserve, which the Southern Europeans don’t seem to have….

Sorry. Meant to add. ‘Alcohol explained’ by William Porter is a brilliant book too.

Day3 U.K. NFD

Going OK for a weekend , blue sky so hopefully out for a nice walk this afternoon, and as predicted I’ll be on the list tomorrow- first Monday of the month

Day 3 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 222 lbs. Yesterday didn’t go well; some external sabotage to the extent that I surrendered. I wanted to do ZBC. I was offered breakfast repeatedly until I took a very small amount (half a hash brown, a couple of sausage links, and a small piece of cheese). No, not bad, considering they wanted me to have a whole pancake and a sausage biscuit(Am.) too, but I knew that amount of junk would ruin my weekend for sure. In order to stop snacking, I prefer to eat a normal portion meal — no more than three a day, not overdoing it and not underdoing it. This miniscule portion in the morning, along with an unusual open schedule for Saturday, led me to grazing all day long. Then a family member insisted on using a coupon from a fast food restaurant about to expire. Soft drinks had to be included. Yep, strike two. Again, those carbs really aren’t long lasting, so I continued to graze at home — until 9 pm!!!! Thank goodness the milk had soured, so that stopped the madness.

From this I have learned that going out for fast food is the worst scenario — you’re stuck with balancing economy with substance, and the substance isn’t usually good quality, then you’re hungry again in an hour or two. Now, if I have leftover fast food (yes, that was pushed on me yesterday to take home), I can manipulate it. Get rid of the the hardened buns or tasteless breaded items, so you minimize the damage. Make a new recipe with spices, cheeses, extra meats, nuts. Add in a salad or some vegetables to the side. Have plenty of fiber incorporated in some way and drink with water. Lesson to me: a meal is normal portioned, satisfying, and well-balanced. Anything else can lead to a snacking disaster.

Still, I’m 2 lbs lighter than last Sunday. I’ll try again for a ZBC today, which should be quite easy, and then figure out my main meal after the final challenge of the weekend passes (the post-church pick-up meal … again, not me!). Usually it doesn’t happen, but when it does, I get a call around lunchtime. In the past, I would fast on a Sunday occasionally. If the sabotage increases, I may be forced to return to that LOL

Tomorrow’s my FD, and I’ll be trying another liquid only fast. The challenge is rethinking what to pack for a work lunch later in the week. Oh wait…. nevermind. I’ve got a luncheon on Tuesday and a work lunch on Wednesday, so Thursday is a FD and Friday I’ll be home by lunch. Postpone that challenge for another week 🙂

Day 3 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Yesterday’s FD turned out fine. Because of the veggies I added, the calorie count was probably a bit higher than 500, but I ate what I’d planned, so that’s a success.

Today is a busy day with my church women’s group welcoming around 50 women altogether for several hours. The challenge is the pie we’re serving at the end of the meeting. Not sure I have the willpower to resist it, and not even sure I want to, and think I should, resist it.

We’ll see. See you all tomorrow!

Day 3 – NFD

All fine yesterday

Hey, could someone explain the pocket lost thing again to me? I understand this is supposed to be mini challenges but I can’t figure out what the challenge is?

Good thoughts to all

Day 3 USA – NFD

Really doing one meal today, but it will be salad and pizza – these TV commercials during football games have just got me salivating for a good pizza.,

@emmataylor – I had to search for Marsala. I bet it is glorious there! My biggest surprise was how close it is to Tunisia at that tip of Sicily. Eating gelato at midnight is a wonderful thing in Italy. 🙂

@mariaelena – The “pocket list” concept goes back to early \challenges when those fasting would want to band together for support by writing names on a list and kept in their pocket. The earliest ones I remember were for 2-day consecutive fasters, but we have them for just the day.

@stitchincarol – wow, I can see why there is a lot of planning going into your Turkey Dinner!. A neighboring town church does a family Thanksgiving on the actual day for anyone who wants to attend, and it is always just for a donation. I heard last year they sold out (or was it 2 years ago… probably due to COVID). But even still for you to serve that many carry-outs would take a LOT of planning! My guess is you make it delicious and affordable.

@northgeorgia – you know what it takes to stay in that 210’s so I am confident you will get there to stay.

Onward and downward.

Day 3 – UK – NFD

Busy day no time to read but a quick post before before bed for accountability

Definitely went above TDEE but planning a FD tomorrow with 2 sessions of exercise to reset for the week.

Off to get ready for bed and sleep 😴

Day 4 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@emma-taylor – you stopped drinking for two years after reading Jason Vale’s book?! That’s quite impressive. I’m not sure I would have started again after so long. But then, I started again after nearly seven months, so… I’m only about a quarter of the way through, but so far his book is suspiciously similar to Allan Carr’s ‘Easy Way to Control Alcohol’. That helped me last time I quit. I’ll check out the William Porter book too, thanks!

I guess this will be the first October FD for many of us? Here we go….🎯

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @funshipfreddie

day 4 U.K. FD

Monday – reset day for me , amongst other things I want to get back to doing Yoga on a daily basis so I am redoing Adrienes “breathe” challenge

Food wise just want a steady <500 cals FD today
    Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle

Day 4 – UK – FD

@brightonbelle I’m pressing reset today too. I have my little ‘8 good days’ tracker printed out by my side on my desk and I am ready to mark off a successful day 1 after today. Also a huge fan of Yoga with Adrienne – annoyingly I have to be really careful with Yoga but I just love it & she’s my first choice when I want to do some.

I’ll be honest, I can’t bring myself to stand on the scales. I know this makes me an ostrich but I did compromise this morning by putting the tape measure around my wait, lower waist and hips. Hips are ok but 1 inch gained on my waist and lower waist. Not good. The ever-present optimist is hoping a lot of that is puffiness from water…!

So here we are – first FD of October. My plan for this week is ZBC all week, soup or a shake for a late lunch and then a normal dinner. We’ve planned out our dinners this week and most of them are recipes from the Fast 800 recipe books so they come in around 400 cals or so I think and a really well balanced with protein & fibre. There are two that are lower for my FDs. I’ve asked DH to rid the kitchen of any chocolate goods too because they’ve started to creep into the cupboards and subsequently my mouth over recent weeks.

I missed a night out with friends at the weekend sadly, but the next one is planned for December time and I SO want to be feeling slimmer by then.

@northgeorgia – good luck with the Water Fast!

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @babs_b

Day 4 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 223 lbs. 🙁

Well, that’s still 3 lbs lighter over last week’s ridiculous bloat. I avoided soft drinks and (other than some repurposed leftovers) most fast food yesterday, but my mom found some leftovers from her church’s luncheon last week which included macaroni & cheese, lemon pie, and brownies. I had a small portion of those wicked things, but it led me later to snack, and I fell victim to the Doritos. Oh the humanity! Thankfully, there was less than a portion left and the bag was emptied.

I don’t think the weekend was a total disaster, but there were more defeats than victories. Time to get back on track for the weekdays ahead. A FD (liquid) today and another on Thursday will be great. The NFDs will be HFLC as much as possible. I’m still excited because I feel the 5:2 WOL combined with a major reduction of sugar and replacing most of the starchy carbs with vegetables, protein, and fats are probably going to push the weight down this month.

@babs_b Thanks! I call it a “liquid fast” because when I get home tonight I probably will have a few cups of broth that technically do have a handful of calories, but yeah it is basically a WFD. I’ll need the luck! This is the first day I’m trying to do it from work with intention. However, I guess if I did it twice at home while sick, it shouldn’t be too hard to do it while spending most of the day at work.

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @babs_b
    @northgeorgia

Day 4 – 2nd post

@northgeorgia – You’ve got this! As you say, if you’ve already done it before while being at home, you’ll manage it ok at work. Remember all the things that helped you last time 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 315 total)

You must be logged in to reply.