Nutrition advice: A Q & A with the creator of the 5:2 Fast Diet Dr. Michael Mosl

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Nutrition advice: A Q & A with the creator of the 5:2 Fast Diet Dr. Michael Mosl

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  wiltldnrUSA 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Nutrition advice: A Q & A with the creator of the 5:2 Fast Diet

A column by Charles Stuart Platkin
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 – 12:01 am

Dr. Michael Mosley is a very interesting person. He trained to be a doctor at the Royal Free Hospital in London, and then joined the BBC (British Broadcasting Corp.), where he is a journalist, TV personality and producer.
    I had an opportunity to do an email interview with Dr. Mosley while he was filming in France.
    He is as fascinating as his famous diet.

Diet Detective: How did you discover this diet — that is, using intermittent fasting?

Dr. Mosley: About 18 months ago, I went to have a routine physical, and my doctor told me that my blood tests had revealed I was a diabetic with a cholesterol level that was also far too high and would also require medication. This was a nasty shock, particularly as my father had died in his early 70s of complications of diabetes. I am 5 feet 11 inches and about 186 pounds, so I was not hugely overweight. I also eat quite well and am reasonably active.
    I have never been on a diet, as I know most of them end in failure, and I also know that standard dieting has only modest effects when it comes to delaying the onset of diabetes. So I went looking for alternative approaches and came across researchers in the U.S. and the U.K. looking at intermittent fasting.
    The idea is that instead of cutting your calories every day you cut your calories every other day, or perhaps only twice a week.
    I tried different forms of intermittent fasting before settling on a version that I felt I could stick to. This consists of cutting your calories by one-fourth for two days a week. On a Monday and a Thursday, I would eat just 600 calories a day; for the other five days a week, I would eat normally. I called this the 5:2 Fast Diet.
    On this diet, I lost 19 pounds of fat over three months, and all my blood levels returned to the normal range.

DD: The diet seems so simple. Is it really just eating normally five days a week and restricting calories (500 for women; 600 for men) the other two days?

DM: Yes, it is that simple. Actually doing it can be quite tough, particularly at the start. The foods you eat on your fasting days are also important as they should keep you full but also ensure maximum nutrition. I recommend protein (eggs, meat, fish) and lots of vegetables.

DD: Can you really eat whatever you want on the five unrestricted days?

DM: No, you can’t. If you overeat on the other five days, you will not lose weight or get benefits. Cutting your calories to one-fourth two days a week means you will cut your calorie intake by about 3,000 calories a week, which translates into around 1 pound of fat lost.

DD: Is there any validity to your critics’ claims that the diet is unhealthy and that it may be bad for the metabolism?

DM: There have been more than a dozen studies of intermittent fasting, following hundreds of men and women for periods of up to a year. These studies all suggest that intermittent fasting is safe and leads to greater improvements in key biomarkers, such as insulin sensitivity, than standard diets.

DD: Do you have a favorite healthy recipe?

DM: I love breakfast, and one of my favorite recipes is a mushroom and spinach frittata: eggs, mushrooms, spinach, and all for just 270 calories.

DD: What is your all-time favorite healthy snack?

DM: Humus with carrot sticks. If I am craving something sweeter it would be a small number of strawberries with a scattering of stevia, the natural sweetener that has no calories.

DD: What’s always in your fridge?

DM: Milk, eggs, butter, bacon and lots of vegetables.

DD: What did you have for breakfast this morning?

DM: I am in France at the moment, so I had a croissant and some cheese with a big mug of coffee.

DD: What is your favorite junk food?

DM: Hamburgers; I don’t need a lot of meat or cheese, but I do like relish and lots of flavor.

DD: What’s your favorite healthy ingredient? What’s the one thing you’d suggest people keep in their kitchen if they want to cook healthy meals?

DM: Garlic. It adds lots of delicious flavor, and the compounds in garlic are said to reduce fatty deposits. Plus, it keeps vampires at bay.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130817/LIVING/130819763/1017

Vampires are intermittent fasters, too, and look how long they live!

bumping

I am actually a little confused about one thing Mike says above…

“If you overeat on the other five days, you will not lose weight or get benefits”

That seems all OK as long as you are actually in the weight loss phase. However, at some point you obviously do not want to lose more weight but just enjoy the other benefits, such as cellular protection. The only way to keep the weight is to off-set the calories you do not consume on a fast day during the 5 “normal” days. Mike makes it sound as if you have to lose weight all the time in order to maintain any of the benefits of the diet.

So does “overeating” refer to eating more than the typical daily recommended intake of calories or does it mean “overeating” over time so that you actually gain weight week by week even though you have two fast days a week? Or does “overeating” mean a significantly higher consumption of calories on a feed day?

hi Tobias Karlsson

if u eat way over on ur nonfastdays tdee calculator in tools above of 2500 cals 4 a man

2000 cals 4 a women u will not lose the weight as quickly

so let’s say one day u went nuts & ate 3500 4000 etc

u can always make up in the week by averaging

2500 *7 =17500 cals for the week

17500-sunday3500-monday fastday600-tues4000-weds2500-thurs4000-frid600-sat2500 = -200 deficit (make that up during the week)

the men r very successfull on this
    they don’t count cals on nonfastdays

they just do 4/3 5/2 ADF & still lose

women it seems 2 b slower

but if u c the video in this post about exercise that the dr did

there r people that it takes longer & the body fights 4 the weight not 2 go down

but it does work

u might b the one that the body listen 2 🙂

success

Hi there,

Thanks :). I think that the weight loss part of this is quite clear; it is just simple mathematics over time. As you say, it should come in at around 17500 kcal for someone like me. I think you answered my question above: when Michael says that overeating may impact “benefits”, I did not understand what he actually referred to. I was “worried” that overeating on any given day would have an impact on the effectiveness of the diet which would obviously mean that the only way to make this work and to maintain all the benefits, not only the weight loss, would be to lose weight forever! Which is obviously not sustainable :). If “overeating” refers to not exceeding your weekly (rather than the daily) calorie need, then that is clear-cut. This obviously means that you have the benefits of the fasting days and can just concentrate on keeping the target weight, once you reached it, by just sticking to the average number of calories you need over a week. So thanks, this should be clear now… I was just concerned I had missed something vital.

this is not a computer glitch

just checkmarking

the
    Notify me of follow-up replies via email

u should all 2 4 ur topics & replies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.