No weight-loss

This topic contains 51 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  snedger 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 56 total)

• I have been on 5:2 for quite a few months now, and I have lost no weight at all. I have lost an inch or two around my waist but that’s it. I definitely feel better, more energised and run about 10miles per week now, along with swimming, cycling and the gym (sometimes!). But I really had hoped to lose weight, I am “just” in the healthy range of BMI but wanted to get down to a BMI of 22.

I have tried 2days @ 500 and 2days @1200 and then 3days @ TDEE and now I am on 2days @ 470 (25% TDEE) and 5 days at TDEE and it makes no difference, losing absolutely no weight at all and getting a bit frustrated.

Is it worth moving onto 4:3 for a few weeks to see if that will kick-start the weight-loss? Any suggestions welcome.

I think you do not need to lost weight at all.

Hi ml, it sounds like overall you are benefitting – i would love to gain increased energy! it sounds like you should be losing weight with the exercise you are doing and your diet… have you kept a food journal to really calculate your caloric intake? how sedentary are you the rest of the day – do you sit in fornt of a computer all day long or are you on your feet most of the day?
    If everything shows that you really should be losing weight (though it doesn’t sound like you necessarily need to), maybe speak with your doctor? S/he may suggest checking your thyroid or adrenal function. Or, if you’re on any medications, maybe those are playing a role?
    Good luck!

Thanks for this! I would say my day is spent 50/50 between sitting at a desk and on my feet! I use MyFitnessPal and log everything i eat/drink so I know how many calories i consume each day. I do need to lose weight, my bmi is 24.5 (just in the healthy range) and doctor says I can lose 2 stone and still be in healthy weight range for my height! My body just doesn’t like giving up the fat, I guess! 😉 Thanks though!

Hi ml_g9,

Many people who start off close to their ideal weight or ideal BMI don’t lose weight with the 5:2. You are supposed to do it forever, so once you get down to your own body’s ideal (not the rubber stamped ideal on your doctor’s wall planner) you should level off and just have the health benefits with no weight loss. It sounds to me like your body wants to be where it is. You probably could kick start a further weight loss by starving yourself but I really hope you don’t.

The only thing I can think is that you might (???) have been building muscle, depending when you started running and the rest of your exercise regime. Which would possibly negate any weight loss. But really it sounds like you’re very active and fit, have all the health benefits and are not overweight. Maybe stop weighing yourself and just try to continue with 5:2 and not worry about the weight side for a while.

Thank you Tracy! I am quite active (but have days where I do nothing). I am trying to relax about it but did hope to see the scales moving. Many thanks for the advice.

Stuck, stuck, stuck and about to cry. I need to lose 16 kg. Over 12 weeks I first lost 2 kg and nothing since. Likewise with girth, initial loss, nothing since.

I have been really working at this, doubled my activity (as monitored by a recently purchased activity band), using the recipe book almost exclusively, same band says my daily Cal burn has greatly increased. I simply cannot realistically put in this much daily effort in the long term. I am doing almost nothing else than dieting and exercising. Then there is the latitude.

I live in the far north; come winter there isn’t a hope! If I can’t lose weight now when outdoor exercise is possible, I am doomed come the long, long winter.

Like Michael, I am a walker. I also cycle…..but 4-6 most of the year, both are just too miserable to think about. Cannot stand gyms or public pools; the crowds and the noise make me want to explode with rage and misery.

I have no trouble fasting; if I don’t eat I am not hungry. So, I will now try 3 fast days per week.

At this rate, I am on my way to being the world’s fattest anorexic.

It is so frustrating when you’re giving it everything you’ve got, and you don’t get the results you deserve. I’ve been doing the diet for over three months and haven’t lost weight or inches either. I also tried a third fast day but nothing.
    Last week I decided that I would calorie count on my non-fast days, even though I eat very sensibly on those days already. Today is weigh-day and this week I lost 2 pounds. My regime looks like this
    Monday 500 cals
    Tuesday 1500
    Wednesday 1500
    Thrsday 500
    Friday 1500
    Saturday 1800
    Sunday 1800
    Over the week I am eating about half the calories I need, or my TDEE as it’s called. I think I was close to that without counting, but am very glad to have lost something, and am going to carry on like this.
    You are clearly doing all the right things, your exercise regime puts me to shame. Good luck.

Me too ! Nice to find some company. I am the same, but not giving up hope yet.

I am active and plump, and want to lose at least 2 stone. my bp and bloods are ok, but I just carry bulk about with me.

hubby and I started this regime 4 weeks ago, and he has already returned to being a proper racing snake. the belly has gone and he looks great. he claims to have lost over half a stone. I have been strict on fast days, and pretty good on other days.

I think my waist has shrunk and my face looks less chubby but I’m no lighter. I do loads of exercise, don’t drink alcohol and dare I say it, almost enjoy the feeling of emptiness on fasting days.

Do we think there is a special breed of human that is just destined to get fat on fresh air?

I am a pear shape – what shape are you ?

My slim mother says I’d survive a long time marooned on a desert island. Brilliant news.

Although I feel bad for everyone, I am glad I am not the only one who is not losing weight! That said – I dont find this a hard lifestyle so will continue with it. This week I have introduced a 3rd fast day (today) and I will see if theres any difference after a couple of weeks. My weekly total calories intake is: 8700 which is significantly below TDEE!!! Argh!

I too am a pear shape, and need to lose the three stone that I have put on over the years through taking anti-depressants.

I know a lot has been written on here about how good everyone feels while fasting, but I don’t. I am starving hungry all day when fasting, which is accompanied, strangely, by a feeling of bloatedness.

My husband has been following the diet too, and has lost 1 stone 10 pounds while eating absolutely what he wants on non-fasting days. It is pretty hard to watch him eating fish and chips and drinking beer while I nibble at grilled chicken and salad.

Oh. I failed to mention that I was inspired to try this regime after a man I know was visibly shrinking, and he shared his secret. He’s a senior medical consultant in the nhs, so thought I’d give it a whirl.
    The added benefits of fasting appeal to me too, but isn’t it horribly ironic that we chubby westerners are desperate to be slimmer whilst in many parts of the world people are starving to death.

hello everyone, i really feel for you, it can be so hard when scales say no weight has been lost, when i began this plan i found i did lose to begin with then it stopped for nearly 4 months, i was a good 5 stone over weight, but this plan is for life, slow is good, it means fat is being lost and not muscle. what comes off slowly stays off.
    ive changed my fasts to 4:3 and have found that the scales are moving again, but during the time i was at a stand still my body was reshaping.
    the whole point of this plan was to only watch what we eat on fast days, over time you find yourself making better choices without even thinking about it, IMO if we count and watch what we eat so closely each and every day then this becomes just like every other diet out there, this is not whats intended, its not how this plan is supposed to work. yes adjust the plan to suit your needs, eg by adding another fast day, but dont get to hung up on what the scales say,
    im in my 11 month now, 33lbs lighter, 2 dress sizes smaller, this plan does work and is fairly easy to do, i guess what i want to say is dont make it such hard work for yourselves that you end up giving up.
    wishing each one of you a new healthier future. xx

Hello Fast for life, what an amazing amount of weight you’ve lost.

I understand what you mean when you say we should all approach this as a life plan, and I do. Why I have taken to counting calories all the time is because I’ve been carrying an extra three stone around for about 7 years and literally NOTHING would shift it. I’ve tried every diet and plan going, have gone to the gym and worked with a peronal trainer. Anti-depressant fat is OBSTINATE!

As the days go by, I am becoming more and more comfortable with the calorie counting, and if it works, in combination with fasting, then that’s what I’ll do. I feel I just needed to find something to kick-start some weight-loss. What was soul-destroying was fasting and feeling hungry and nothing happening. AD weight-gain is a well-known problem. Eating half the calories I need may seem drastic, but if it works, I’m happy with it. I’m sure maintaining my goal weight will be a more relaxed affair.

keep doing what your doing pudding if its working for you, we are all in this together, i do know for some people its not going to be as simple due to other outside factors, i didnt mean to sound harsh with my post and do hope its not offended anyone. xx

Thanks, Fast for Life,

I really do appreciate your comments and take them on board. I wanted this to be a two-day diet too! Calorie-counting is a pain and it’s hard not to obsess about it.
    We’re all finding our way x

I started the diet five weeks ago and have steadily lost around 12 lbs, however my Mum has lost nothing! She is so despondent and been in tears! She has tried everything to lose weight, but nothing works! She is not counting calories but has cut her calories the non-fast days. My partner wondered if that was the wrong thing to do as the diet is supposed to take us back to our feast and famine days. Perhaps we need the peaks and troughs of feast and famine to challenge our bodies to lose the weight. Believe me, I do not watch what I eat and I eat VERY well, but still seem to lose the weight. Interestingly I don’t think I’m losing the inches, but I wonder if I had a fair bit of internal fat around my organs that is being used up first. Any thoughts on the feast and famine idea?

ml_g9 …

I am on my first week and this is really disheartening … I do not want to have to count calories my five days off the fast and I would like to see progress regardless of how slow … I have no idea what a stone is except when throwing it at a window, how many US pounds is that?

I too am not losing weight! I have been doing the 5:2 for almost 5 week and I am sad to report that I have not lost anything! I have struggled with my TDEE, I think for the first week I was doing the feast days at 1200, spoke to a few people and they said go up, which I did to about 1500 calories a day. It was then suggested to me to do my TDEE, which I did and I am going to try and stick to this new amount of 1807. I calary count using my fitness plan.
    I did not measure myself and I would say my clothes are a little looser- however I have also upped my exercise, as I wasn’t doing anything, and now I am doing the power plates 3 times a week, riding and walking.
    I have been a yoyo dieter, and have recently (just before I started this) just come off the slim fast diet. A friend was saying because I have been almost eating next to nothing that this 5:2 diet won’t really work for me – she said it would more likely be good at maintenance but not weight loss. Do you agree with this? As it feels like that is what is happening – I have just maintained my fatness.
    I want to try do 4:3 not sure if that will work, but I have got things on this week, so it might not be possible.
    But I am very down about it all.

I tried a fast day for the first time last week. I drank more water than I normally would and lost count of the amount of times I peed, but I lost 2lbs in that one day!!! I think water is the secret. I am embarking on the diet properly now from today (as this is the last day of my holidays). I am generally a really healthy eater when it comes to main meals (I make/ eat meals from the Slimming World cook books) and I try to steer clear of too many carbs anyway. My problem is chocolate, cakes and wine. I think I can easily do this diet – I just need to get my hubby to put a lock on the goodie cupboard on the fast days.

@ ml_g9…

Don’t be disheartened…everything takes time. I imagine no one enjoys counting calories but if you have an idea of what you are consuming…after a while you wouldn’t need to. At least not on the non-fasting days. This is beginning the 3rd week for me. I am doing alternating FAST days instead of the 5:2 approach. I have lost 2.5 lbs the first week and another 3 lbs on the second week and 2 inches off my waist! I am exercising twice a day on the fast days…and not at all on the non-fast. Keeping the fast days at 500 calories…and the non-fast somewhere between 1200-1500. (BTW…a stone equals 14 pounds)

Hang in there 🙂

I’ve been doing the 5:2 routine for10 weeks now and have lost 7 lbs. I stick to 2 fast days and eat normally, without counting calories on the other days. It’s not a fast weight loss plan but rather a ‘re- training of the mind and body ( in my opinion) I have done the diet industry to death and it works but doesn’t last. This as I see it is a slower road to weight loss but the health benefits are great. If I can lose weight steadily whilst only watching what I eat on 2 days of the week I am sticking with it! I have more energy and generally generally feel much better better in myself. No more guilt over food. Funny thing is when you can have what you want you suddenly don’t want it 🙂

are you sipping sparkling water and drinking lots of tea? Does protien help? a boiled egg, a piece of smoked salmon?
    I’m sorry you are having that issue.
    Perrier is saving me.
    Maybe you should indulge in the fish and chips with your husband…the book says to eat normally on non-fast days.

Carla,

How do I determine the calories i am to eat on non-fast days and is exercise mandatory? Not that I won’t do it but I don’t this to be required. I swear if I knew I would lose 1 stone/14 – 15 lbs over the course of 4 or so months, I would be fine with that. I have no idea what my bmi is and have not measured. Also, I drink a ton of water so not sure it is bloat in my case. I honestly can not fathom “dieting” again, I have my whole life and counting calories is like watching grass grow for me. It just won’t work with my personality. Is the whole idea behind this to cut 3500 calories a week for women? I mean I could fast every other day but if I am not cutting my week’s calories by 3500 then I won’t lose weight. I do not see, now, how this differs from any other fasting plan. I am so sad at this point, I thought i found something that would finally fit my personality.

Can anyone offer any advice as to when or how to eat the 500 calories whether spread out or at once … and how I figure out what calories i would eat to maintain so I can calculate how this will work if I actually continue. I am really sad that this isn’t just fasting two days a week and eating without having to count calories. Ugh!

Hi, Smash – From the sound of it, your poor body doesn’t know which way is up! You have been chopping and changing quite a bit, not eating much, and you also shifted from another diet scheme immediately prior to trying the 5:2 approach. So, my guess would be that your whole system needs time to settle down, getting back into a more ‘normal’ eating pattern on your non-fast days (i.e. close to your TDEE, Total Daily Energy Expenditure recommendation). Hopefully, with some exercise too, you will get some good results in due course. I would say just try to be patient and relax into it all a bit more. Intermittent Fasting is meant to be an on-going healthy lifestyle choice rather than a fast-track to weight-loss. I wish you all the benefits of such a choice.

Hi, Going2Give15Back – After just one week, you sound rather sorry for yourself and yet clueless about what you’re doing. If you are really a fan of bath-tubs full of sour cream with 3-man sized nachos, something needs to give, I think – the 5:2 system cannot override the laws of physics. Two days of roughly 500 calories will not be enough of a calorie deficit for weight-loss if, on five non-fast days, one is eating more than one’s recommended maximum, based on one’s TDEE figure (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). To learn about what that TDEE figure represents, click on the ‘calorie calculator’ link to the right of the page (under the red heading ‘useful site links’, just below the adverts for the books) and read the advice there.
    Calorie counting should not be necessary if one knows one is eating reasonably. If one stays within one’s TDEE figure on non-fast days – and that might take some initial self-education, to work out what type and quantity of food is entailed in that number of calories – and then one eats a maximum of one-quarter (25%) of that TDEE figure on each of one’s two fast days, there should be a deficit of roughly 3,000 cals per week. Just under a pound a week – a safe, steady, gradual loss.
    Many people using the 5:2 system report that they experience reduction in body inches before any reduced reading on their weigh-scales, so that’s why they recommend taking various body measurements at the start and as one progresses. It can really show things ARE happening.
    Exercise is not mandatory – many people just think it’s a good idea, for better health and general well-being.
    No human studies have yet proven that any one way of eating one’s fast day calorie allowance is better than any other way – it’s best to do whatever keeps you happy to maintain the schedule. If you read around this forum, you’ll see every possible permutation of spreading one’s meals chosen by different individuals – from no food at all for 24 hours, through to 1/ 2 / or 3 meals a day. I hope you find a way to keep yourself happy using the 5:2 approach and that you achieve your goals in due course. All best wishes.

Goingtogive15back,

The Introduction page to this site has a TDEE calculator for your Non-fasting days. And as far as BMI calculations

http://www.aarp.org/health/fitness/info-05-2010/bmi_calculator.html?CMP=KNC-360I-GOOGLE-HEA-FIT&HBX_PK=bmi&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=bmi&utm_campaign=G_Health&360cid=SI_554086863_22443057541_1

is a useful site.

I am viewing this less as a diet and more of a lifestyle change. I am more than thrilled by the results so far.

I try to do 200 or less in the morning…100 or less in the afternoon (sometimes none)…and whatever I have remaining (save 50) for dinner…and leave 50 calories for a Pim’s with tea before bed.

By spreading it out and getting creative with the foods I find I am not ravenously hungry on FAST days and do not feel deprived.

I have found that attempting to eat anything solid at lunchtime stimulates my appetite and tend to avoid doing it. Also that cold-boiled peeled shrimp are only 6 calories each 🙂

Good Luck!

I think the exercise thing is optional.

Hello, bofa45 – I really like your relaxed, steady approach. I’m so glad it’s working well for you and I wish you continuing delight and more positive results ahead. Enjoy your process.

Thank you for your answers. I think the book is misleading in that there was a woman who had my situation 135, 40 something, and got down to 119 pounds in four months. If I do this as advised by bmi this will not work out in the same time line. I am not looking for quick though I would love it to keep my motivation up, but I am looking for a change and that is what I am struggling with. This is no different than eating super clean for 6 days and having a cheat day … I mean if were to cut out 500 calories per day for a week I would lose a pound, more than this diet, so I am unsure what makes this so wonderful if I have to watch what I eat and fast. I thought the whole purpose of it was to lose and still not feel deprived. If I have to count calories, to me that is deprivation … obviously this is how I interpret it, but think this is being touted as a miracle when it is still a diet.

I have done the master cleanse, and I love fasting so that is not the issue, the issue is the watching what you eat the other five days. Has anyone experimented with two days fast, four days watch calories, maybe even create a deficit and then one “cheat day” ? I think what I was hoping for was a quick change in order to boost my motivation, and then settle in for the rest to come.

I have read several posts about “women” not losing … this has crushed me in that this program seemed a god send but now it is like every other diet out there. Ugh … for the record, I eat relatively healthy and yes I love nachos and could eat a ton of them, but I do not do that on a regular basis and was hoping that i might be able to indulge a bit more frequently and still lose, obviously totally unrealistic. I want to cry, quite frankly. I could live without indulging if I were to have the results of the woman I referenced above but apparently she was watching her calories very stringently for four months to get those results based on what I have read so far, this is the disappointment. UGH! Any suggestions or real life solutions to accomplishing the final goal with “SOME” immediate results to keep me going are welcomed, and I offer thanks in advance.

Thanks jeanius. I have read a lot of your posts and you give sound advice / help. I’ve said it on other posts but as far as I have read and can see “keeping it simple” is the way to go. I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

When I watched the program about this diet, I understood that on non-fast days you are not to limit yourself. I have done a very simple approach to this diet; I eat 500 calories for the two days and literally eat whatever I want the other days. The only problem I have had with weight loss occurred after eating a bunch of cheese at a cheese party. I felt physically horrible for the next few days and my weight increased by three pounds. Since then, I have lost all of those three pounds again and got to a new low weight, which is a total of 8.2 pounds lost in six weeks. I have learned though, I will not eat a huge abundance of cheese again!

To me, the beauty of this lifestyle is how it changes your mental attachment to food. No one on this forum loves sweets more than I did! However, since starting this, I do not crave them as I used to. I eat them when they are offered to me, but I do not seek them out like the addict I was! Also, I can go many hours without feeling like I must have something to eat when my stomach starts growling! I find I fill up quickly every time I eat and truly enjoy eating, even on fast days!

My recommendation to anyone having difficulties with losing weight or staying motivated is to keep the diet simple. Eat what you like on non-fast days and stay strict on your fast days. Find ten to twenty minutes every couple of days to take a walk and enjoy your new outlook on eating! Best of luck!!

Hi Carla, thanks for that. I did 4:3 last week and I am doing it this week and next and not going to weigh myself again until all 3 weeks are done so I don’t get discouraged! I do count calories on every day on MyFitnessPal and never go above my TDEE and sometimes burn 500calories every other day with exercise. I am sticking with it just now though and hope my body catches the drift soon to lose the weight!

Thanks Jeanius, yes I am trying not to weight myself every day – & i am trying just to let my body settle down and try stick to my TDEE on feast days as i am normally under. I am going to try and do the 4:3 at some stage, to see if that kick starts it, & try and vamp up the exercise a bit more. I am going to stick with this another month, i do feel so much better (when i dont think about the lack of weight loss,) and it is just so easy to do.

Hi I’ve been on the fast diet since just after Christmas. Lost 1.5 stone so far. Need to lose at leat another 2.5 stone. I had just over 3 months with no weight loss or 2 lbs off then 2 lbs on. Not sure what worked but I’ve increased my exercise to gym using intermittent training, swimming and Pilates going just once a week each. Plus eating slightly less than 500 calories on fast days, eating normally including cakes etc on other days. lost 5 lbs in the first week. Then went on holiday I didn’t fast and put on 5 lbs in a week! Did one fast day plus exercise and lost the 5lbs in 3 days. Still losing weight.

Out shopping I tried on a dress, saw my legs and didn’t recognise them they looked so different in a good way.

On a few occasions I have tried rice or noodles from my health food shop that only contain 7 calories. They taste ok.

I hope this helps and gives some hope to those of you who are not losing weight.

I think a lot of people are relying on comparing themselves to others. We are all different and lead very different lifestyles. This diet isn’t meant to be analysed so much, it’s what all other diets have caused us to do. If you were dieting previously and started this then it will take longer. I’ve experienced that before myself. Just keep doing the diet as it says, 5 days of non calorie counting and 2 days of up to 500 calories. Eventually your body will get on track. As a lot of people have said, it’s a lifestyle, in fact it should be called the “fast lifestyle”. I actually don’t eat at all on fast days. Suits my brain better to not even think about food. Water is definitely a must. And herbal teas too. X

Riafaye,

I completely agree with you. I think the obessive calorie counting…the feelings of failure for a bite of a treat…worrying about carbs or fats or sugars or whatever…is what got most of us on this Merry-Go-Round of dieting (and self-loathing) to begin with. I think the reason I strictly counted calories the first week was because I wanted to get a grasp on what I actually was taking in on a normal day. (Too Much) but here at the third week and setting aside 500 calories for fasting days and on the alternating days eating what I want…which is much less than I usually ate, anyway. It seems my appetite is decreasing and it takes less and less to make me feel full. I agree…it should be called a Lifestyle instead of a diet 🙂

Its success is based on its simplicity!

I tried eating what I liked for 5 days out of 2. I ate sensibly. I tried it for 3 months and lost nothing. Now I’m counting and having 7,600 calories a week (instead of 14,000 TDEE). Last week I lost 2 pounds.

Fast Diet is not about calorie counting (apart from the 2 days). It is meant to be a lifestyle, comfortable and sustainable. All those numbers, intensive exercising (which I personally wouldn’t be able to fit into my busy week), calorie counting and increasing the number of fasting days from 2 to 3, all deviate from the original idea of this particular eating plan. It stops being Fast Diet – it evolves into something very different.

This is meant to be easy to stick to, very little calorie counting (if any) on the two days and relaxed “business as usual” approach for the rest of the week. Fantastic! Slow weight loss is great as it is less likely to return with vengence. This is a marathon, not a sprint run. I’m sure that benefits will start to show sooner or later.

All the best! 🙂

Hi, Pudding – I think you deserve an award for the amount of effort you’ve been putting in and the different experiments you’ve tried, determined to get a positive result. You are very impressive and I wish you every success in your goals. I wonder whether you have had any review of your treatment with your Doctor recently? Would a change to a different type of drug or a reduction in dosage be possible and/or some kind of behavioural therapy? From what I can see online, not all anti-depressants for anxiety prevent weight-loss.
    Also, could you increase your activity levels a little, either at home or maybe walking in the fresh air – ideally somewhere green and peaceful? Jessica Smith is a young American fitness trainer who puts her exercise routines on YouTube for free and one of her specialities is exercise in a very small space, requiring just one corner of a room. She has several indoor ‘walking’ sessions and I think her exercises are simple, well-taught, informal and light-hearted – with her little white dog ‘Peanut’ often walking into view or else sleeping through the whole video:

Walking Workouts – jessicasmithtv – 17 videos:

http://m.youtube.com/#/playlist?list=PLe5P3ayTEj7aejY9MC8-0S6oTqx5j0aGK

All best wishes to you, Pudding, for finding things that help and get you to where you want to be.

jeanius

wow as usual u r a genius
    these utubes r fantastic
    will b doing them modified 2 micheal’s hit exercises
    i needed free inspirations
    it’s 98 degrees out there & climbing way 2 hot

Enjoy your food: 5:2 is very easy to stick to, but unfortunately for me, it doesn’t work. I think 3 months was a fair trial! My husband loses 3 lb a week usually and eats for England on his 5 days off. We are all different and anti-depressants sabotage good dieting practice.
    Jeanius: many thanks for your words of encouragement! Unfortunately there is no possibility of a change in dosage in the forseeable future, and the ads which suit me seem to involve weight issues. This isn’t the first one I’ve been on!
    I have been trying to get out walking when possible, and walk for an hour 3 times a week, but my experience has been that exercise makes little to no impact on weight loss.
    At the moment, calorie counting looks promising, and will pursue that and see what happens.

Hello, Pudding – I wish you well and I trust that you do know best how to deal with your own situation. Enjoy your walks – hopefully, at the very least, they off-set the possibility of any further weight-gain. May you make good, steady progress ahead.

Keep cool, wiltldnrUSA – Unusually, for the UK, for two weeks we too have been having sunshine and heat, though ‘only’ in the upper 70s-80s (25-30C), rather than 98 degrees-plus (36-37C). Keep hydrated and try to take things easy. Enjoy your exercises, perhaps once it’s cooler. Best wishes.

Hi Jeanius, apparently our office got up to exactly 98 degrees on Friday (thankfully I was at home getting some Virgin Media equipment installed so I missed that slice of joy) and was pretty close every other day of last week. It’s been nice outside but I’m not loving the office environment the last couple of weeks. Our building is always too hot (even in the depths of winter) but last week was just mental – it shouldn’t happen in Yorkshire should it! What? No rain? None? Not even a bit o’ mizzle? s’not right is it?! 😉

After doing 4:3 for a couple of weeks, the pounds are starting to shift! Maybe I need to do this for weight-loss! And I am away on holiday on Monday, defo no calorie counting then – so will start again when i come back!

Good for you – well done! Have a lovely holiday & good luck with it when you get back.

Have not started the 5:2 but am thinking about it. I just want to lose that last 7-10 lbs. (5’2″, 127 lbs. currently). When I read the comments in this forum, the people who seem to see the most results (i.e. lose the most weight) are those who have 20lbs or more to lose. What about those of us with 10 or less lbs to lose?

minhtx – like you I just have 7-10 lbs to lose and after exactly 4 weeks am still same weight today although did seem to lose 3lbs early on. I have been strict on my fast days but have really struggled not to over compensate on the other days and I think this is probably why I’ve not lost so I don’t want to discourage you at all. I have enjoyed my fast days in a weird way as like that feeling of lightness and being hungry BUT most of the time I have struggled with it and think that’s why I’ve yo yo’d a bit more that I would like as soon as the restriction is lifted the next day. Am in 2 minds whether to persevere and try to be strict with myself or just opt for something less extreme ( there is another 2 day diet which doesn’t involve nearly as low as 500 cals but equally you can’t just eat what you like on the other 5 days as there are healthy eating guidelines (no calorie counting though) Perhaps I need more restrictions to make it work for me and if fast days aren’t so extreme I might not end up yo yoing so much. Good luck

I have been on the 5:2 plan for 3 months….have not lost weight, in fact I have gained a couple pounds! My BMI is 29 and would like to get it down into a healthy range.

My fast days are Monday and Thursday. I have played around with when to eat on fast days and skipping breakfast and eating my 250 cals. at lunch and dinner seems to work best. On non-fast days I eat normally and have noticed I feel full faster and don’t eat as much as I used to.

Even with not eating as much normally and following the plan on fast days, I am not losing weight. I would be grateful for any suggestions on how to get weight loss started using the 5:2 plan.

I started the 5.1 diet at the beginning of January. My weight at that time was 9st 11 pounds. I am not overweight for my height and I have a healthy BMI. My problem is that I am an apple shape, and I do have a large belly. I run three miles, three time a week and I would consider myself to be active. I am a teacher so always on my feet, I walk the dog and as soon as I get home from work I am on my feet cooking and cleaning.
    I have not lost one gram of fat! In fact I am heavier now than I was in Jan, I now weigh 10 stone. And I have gained one inch to my bust, waist and hips. My lifestyle has not changed, my activity levels are the same. I eat high protein meals on my fast days. I only drink water, tea and coffee. The past two weeks, as I am now on my summer holidays, I have only eaten my evening meals, missing breakfast and lunch. My evening meal was around 700-800 cals. Still no weight loss!
    I am sure it is doing me good and I will continue to do this diet, but I really am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply.