Newbie with prolapsed disc and compressed nerve and on lots of pain relief

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Newbie with prolapsed disc and compressed nerve and on lots of pain relief

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Marion P 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Hi – I’m keen to get my eating (and drinking) habits under control after a few months of inactivity and over-indulgence due to a prolapsed disc and compressed nerve. I take co-codamol (30/500), naproxen (300), and gabapentin (2700)every day.

Before this back problem, I was very active and running 3/4 times a week. I have since gained almost 2st and am very unhappy and not used to this as I have always been sporty and active, as well as perhaps drinking too much.

I am giving up booze for January in order to break the habit of self-medicating every night. I am strong willed when motivated so am confident that I can knock this habit on the head.

My question is, given my set of circumstances, is starting the intermittent fasting diet a good idea?

Any thoughts from people with similar experiences would be very much appreciated.

The main issue that I can foresee is more chance of constipation! Especially taking all that codeine.
    So, will be even more important to get enough fluid, which can be a chore – but avoiding the side effects outweigh the inconvenience.
    In my experience, it’s better to be proactive than reactive and I found a product called Fruit and Fibres from Ortis – Ingredients: Figs (Ficus carica L, -7,35g/cube), Wheat Syrup (Gluten Free), Rhubarb (Rheum palmatum L,/Rheum officinale Baill – 496mg/cube), Glycerin, Guar Gum (Cyamopis tetragonolobus (L) Taub – 400mg/cube), Tamarind Pulp (Tamarindus Indica L. – 400mg/cube), Concentrated dates (Pheonix dactylifera L, – 200mg/cube), Fig Flavouring.
    I usually chew one at the end of a fast day. It is not too aggressive in my experience.
    I also take a timed release multi vitamin on a fast day.
    I’ve only got a couple of bulging discs and so the worst I have is sciatica, which varies in intensity.
    I did stop taking NSAIDs like ibuprofen, as I was concerned about the effects on the gut when not eating. But I think that all your meds are OK to take without food?
    Have you tried far infra red clothing? For a number of years I wore, from time to time, a back support belt containing tourmaline crystals, helped a lot. Recently I found a clothing company that places “minerals” in the material, that produce far infrared radiation from body heat and body moisture. The back support has been revelatory – much more comfortable than a restrictive velcroed belt – my sciatica has been diminished to the extent that I don’t notice it hardly – until I forget to wear the clothing. I also wear FIR base layers for legs and top and they have really helped through the winter.
    Persevere until it becomes part of your usual way of life.

Hi Kirsten,
    I’m not on pain meds or the same situation as you, but, I have a chronic debilitating condition which means I have gone from very fit and strong to mobile but unable to exercise at all. I put on 30kgs after. 1st becoming ill 20 yrs ago. When I was well enough to take charge of my food supply/eating I was able to lose 10kgs over 6 yrs by changing what I was eating. I thought without exercise I had no chance of getting the remaining 20kgs off, and was not prepared to try various diets.

I was impressed with the science behind Intermittant Fasting and 5:2 in particular. I have now been using 5:2 for 3yrs, and maintained for some time after losing 21kgs (1kg = 2.2lbs). All my medical team are very happy with 5:2 itself and normalising my weight. I’m off Blood Pressure meds, no longer need annual group of cardiac tests as my heart is functioning so much better. I walk a bit easier and a bit quicker, not quickly, but quicker. I go up steps and slopes easier. My posture is better, and I work with an exercise physiologist once a week to help keep my muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments, etc working and not seizing up. I also get a massage as often as I can.

My advice to you is to try 5:2 at the very least. Talk to your doctor and have them monitor your meds if they feel that’s necssary. I’m not suggesting 5:2 will cure or improve your health problems , but, like me, you will then be dealing with your challenges from a better starting place. Getting off the extra weight burden on your body can only help. There is the added bonus of feeling more normal, looking a normal size not overweight, and the added emotional/psychological ease that comes with that.

I suggest you join one of the threads on the forum that has lots of posts so you have general support regularly as you go along. There are many people from all over the world on the forum and there are plenty who have improved their health situation .

Best wishes to you,
    Onwards and Downward,
    Merry

Thank you both so much for your responses. These are very inspiring. My first fast day is tomorrow! Wish me luck! 😀

Good luck with your FD, Kirsten! Hope this way of eating works for you.

How did your first FD go Kirsten?

Hi! First fast day was Tuesday and went ok. Kept the mantra ‘I’m not hungry, I’m thirsty’ and drank lots of water. Today is the second FD and I’m finding it a bit harder. I’m in a lot of pain today with my back and sciatica, so I recognise that I am craving comfort food – I am not hungry. Very thirsty though despite drinking lots of water.

Thanks for checking in, Merry 😀

Hi All
    I have rheumatoid arthritis, before I was diagnosed 20 years ago I was VERY fit. Over the years I have managed to control my weight reasonably well, never being the right weight for my height but not far off. Then I hit the menopause and over the last 2 years my weight has crept up.

I started the 5 2 diet before Christmas and lost 6lbs. Then I lost my way a little and gave up over Christmas mainly due to the stress of my job I’m a Marie Curie nurse and had a harrowing time with a patient.
    I tried to get back on 5 2 and although I knew it would work I kept giving in in the evening and over ate.
    I had been feeling generally unwell for the last 2 weeks. On Monday I became very unwell I have a flare up and many of my joints are very painful and I have been unable to sleep.
    I too are now taking lots of pain killers to keep me pain free (which isn’t really working) I don’t think I’ll attempt fasting days while I am this poorly but I will get straight back on as soon as I can. Also I’m unable to walk my dog the 2 miles I do most days.

I’m not going to give up Because I know it will work.
    Marion

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.