Newbie here! :)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hello

I’m just about to embark on the 5:2 journey.

I just wanted to double-check something. As far as I can see, you don’t need to calorie-count on the 5 days you eat normally.

I don’t normally watch the calories so would it be ok to eat as I normally would and cut down to the 500 calories on fast days?

Many thanks

Short answer – Yes, that’s exactly how it is supposed to work. It’s also how I’ve done it for the last 5.5 years.

Longer answer – within reason Yes. If you over compensate on the non-fast days by eating much more than you would normally do then clearly it won’t work. However my experience was that within a few weeks I naturally wanted to eat less on the non-fast days too – just smaller portions of my normal meals, and no calorie counting involved.

The fact that I only had to bother with working out a calorie count for 2 days was one of the key things which made me think I could follow this regime.

HighFive, the only reason to ‘count calories’ on Slow Days would be if you were not losing weight. Some people eat so much/so poorly [truth must be told!] on Slow Days that they don’t lose weight, even eating 500 calories 2 days/week. Then you have to look at what you eat on Slow Days and see if the calorie count [TDEE] is too high.
    But for you it is early days. Try it for 2 weeks and see how it works for you. I’ve been at this for 5+ years and it works very well.
    Good luck.

Can’t add anything advice wise as I am only on my second fast day, but wanted to welcome you and wish you luck.

Thank you for all your replies!

I thought as much, I just wanted to make sure. It sounds too good to be true. 🙂

highFive, keep us posted on your progress. You know we are all here to help you if needed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.