Nauseated after 1st fast day

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Aloraw 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• So I did well yesterday on my first fast day. But today I feel nauseated and just not 100%. I’m not sure why this is happening, I feel like eating will make me feel better but I also don’t want to undo the weight that I lost by eating too much. Has this happened to anyone else? If so should I expect this to happen every time?

Hi mrdslp81, I’m sure you were pretty happy last night to have completed your first fast! The nausea may just be your body’s way of dealing with the shock of having so few calories and will probably settle down. You need to eat today, have you worked out your TDEE – there’s a calculator if you hover over the “How?” tab at the top of the screen. You won’t undo your good work yesterday as long as you are sensible and stay a little under your TDEE. However if you don’t eat enough on your non-fast days your body will hold on to the fat and you won’t lose any weight.
    This way of eating really does work, there are so many positive stories on here. What day is your next fast? Claire

I actually was 300 calories over what I should eat on fast days, which is still considerably less than what I would normally eat. I have calculated the my TDEE and it says to be around 2000 calories on non-fast days. I have definitely been inspired by the positive stories and support that is on this forum. My next fast day will be on Wednesday since Thursday is Thanksgiving (live in US).

You’re right to not panic about going a little over your cals, it is hard especially at the start if you’ve not been used to counting calories, which I wasn’t. As a general rule meat, fish and vegetables are the lowest calories but keep you full (although salmon is surprising calorific!)
    It’s a good idea to take measurements now and then retake them in 4 weeks time to see what the difference is. I’ve been doing this for 8 weeks, have lost 8 pounds (which isn’t massive!) and lost 10 inches all over. I’m really pleased about the inch-loss and also the fact it’s been coming off everywhere šŸ˜‰
    Happy fasting tomorrow and then you can enjoy Thanksgiving guilt-free šŸ˜€

Inches have been measured and I have already lost a pound which usually happens when I first start a diet. 1 lb a week is still good. Here’s a good poem that will make you better about that 1 pound.

Hello, do you know me?
    If you don’t, you should.
    I’m a pound of fat,
    And I’m the happiest pound of fat that you would ever want to meet.
    Want to know why?
    It’s because no one ever wants to lose me.
    I’m only one pound, just a pound!
    Everyone wants to lose three pounds,
    five pounds, or fifteen pounds, but never only one.
    So I just stick around and happily keep you fat.
    Then I add to myself, ever so slyly,
    so that you never seem to notice it.
    That is, until I’ve grown to ten, twenty, thirty or even more pounds in weight.
    Yes, it’s fun being only one pound of fat, left to do as I please.
    So, when you weigh in, keep right on saying,
    “Oh, I only lost one pound,” (as if that were such a terrible thing).
    For you see, if you do this,
    you’ll encourage others to keep me around because they’ll think I’m not worth losing.
    And, I love being around you –
    your arms, your legs,
    your chin, your hips and every part of you.
    Happy Days!
    After all, I’m
    only one pound of fat!

Haha that’s a good poem – I may steal that!

Hi there – I was very interested to see your post as I have been trying to find out if anyone else feels nauseated after a fast day. My nausea is actually not improving and I have been doing 5:2 for 4 weeks. I fasted last Thursday and the nausea kicked in around Friday afternoon and then again Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Monday was my next fast day and I didn’t feel nauseous on that day but Tuesday afternoon it came back and lasted into the evening. I feel a little queezy today a normal day and am now scared to fast tomorrow because I know I will feel sick afterwards. If anyone has any ideas I would be interested to hear them. I know I am a sugar addict and am trying to cut down my sugar on normal days, I don’t weigh myself at all because I didn’t need to lose weight but I believe I may be a TOFI and sugar is my problem.

I wasn’t able to update until now but I wanted to let you know how the rest of my day after fast went. After I ate lunch I felt much better, mostly because I had a turkey sandwich so I think the protein helped. I fasted again on Wednesday and Thursday I did not get that nauseated feeling, thank goodness. I do however need to work on my fasting, still having trouble only eating 500 calories, I think I had about 800 again.

Love the poem it cheered me up. To think I was moaning about only 1lb!
    Elaine šŸ™‚

Hey Clare, what do you tend to eat? If you’re still eating high carbs that may explain the nausea a bit. And yes, here I go again about those damned carbs… I know some people on here tweak their carbs as well and I’m a believer of it as well. Now I’m not a religious zero carb-er, but I found that if I eat zero carbs I tend to get less hungry during my fast the next day and less tired. Maybe it explains your nausea a bit as well.
    Does drinking water help against the nausea? Do you also get acid reflux? A load of people have noticed that their reflux diminishes on this WOL!

Having some more protein may help, so instead of a sandwich with Nutella try one with chicken filet or ham. Or eat an egg with your breakfast!

And Mrdslp81… Like really, some names on here… like you just hit your keyboard with your fist šŸ˜‰
    Don’t worry about the 800 cals on fast days for now, however you should start cutting them down as you progress. Do you eat three meals a day? Try two, or even one. This’ll help with the reduction! An evening meal of 500 calories can be humungous, especially if you have some cooked chicken (no skin) or white fish with a load of veggies or salad (with a healthy dressing of course).

I know this is an old post but still hoping to get a response? I experienced the exact same nausea on the days in between fasting as Clare described. Would eating too many carbs on my non-fasting days cause nausea on days Iā€™m not fasting?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.