Mr L's carrot, red pepper, tomato and lentil soup with rosemary, thyme and chilli

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Meal plans and meals
Mr L's carrot, red pepper, tomato and lentil soup with rosemary, thyme and chilli

This topic contains 7 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  daisybouquet 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Mr L’s carrot, red pepper, tomato and lentil soup with rosemary, thyme and chilli

from Jackie J

Servings: 6

75g dried red lentils, rinsed
    2 onions,  peeled and left whole
    3 red peppers, split and seeds out

fresh tomatoes about 5-6 med depending on size (mine were cherry toms and I used about 15)
    2 chilli peppers (more or less or none!)
    3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
    6 carrots, peeled and sliced

spray or teaspoon max olive oil
    2 pints chicken or veg stock

a sprig of fresh rosemary and 1 of thyme chopped or you could use fresh parsley instead but put that in at the end

Directions:

1. Put all veg in a baking tray spray with oil or drizzle a little on and mix to coat and roast in hot oven for about 45 mins until all is done.  I didn’t need to cover mine but you don’t want the liquid to evaporate so you might need to after a while, or take it out before the carrots are quite done as I did.
    2. Simmer the lentils in a little water (just to cover) until tender.
    3. Add the stock, the herbs and the roasted veggies (I leave all skins on except for the garlic cloves ).
    4. Simmer together for 15-20 mins depending on how done your carrots were..
    5. Blend (I use a stick blender), and puree the soup until no lumps remain,
    6. Season with salt and pepper  or soy sauce to taste.

Works out at around 149cals a big bowlful depending on how much oil (these cals are for 10ml oil) and is very satisfying. You can make it without the lentils  for 109 cals per bowl. If you use spray oil its even less.

Here’s another great soup recipe I have tweaked for 5:2 and which I have already posted on ‘Another’ 5:2 forum (where I post as Laska42)

Red Cabbage and Beet Borscht

This makes a rather startling colour but filling and earthy tasting soup (and has no pretensions towards being ‘the real thing’), but is great for a fast day.

Serves 6 at 667 cals for the whole recipe so about 111 a portion

200g Potato chopped but skin left on
    1 pack of 4 Cooked Beetroot In Natural Juices (Sainsburys sell this as do many other supermarkets) ,
    2 Medium Onion –
    1 Celery stalk, medium
    1 large Carrot
    Half a Red Cabbage chopped
    Smoked Pancetta 110g, 1 pack
    400g can Tinned chopped Tomatoes
    Caraway Seed I teaspoon
    Dried Dill half teaspoon
    Fresh – Dill, small packet
    Chicken (or veggie) Stock Cube, 1 cube
    Splash of red wine or cider vinegar

Chop up celery onion carrot into small dice , Fry off with pancetta in large pans until soft and then drain off excess fat. (or if making veggie version use spray oil for this stage) .

Thinly slice potatoes (I left the skins on) and add to the pot with caraway seeds and dried dill. Add made up stock add to cover and simmer until pots are tender.

Shred cabbage and chop beetroot and add to the pot with the tinned tomatoes .salt and pepper to taste and simmer until cabbage is tender.

Add chopped fresh dill and splash of vinegar to taste and liquidise.

I like mine with a little crumbled feta on top and a splash of hot sauce (of course as it’s me!) ..though you could have half fat crème fraiche or sour cream
    if you have the calories

A veggie version (no pancetta) will be only 542 for the whole recipe and 90cals a portion!!

I am allergic to fish, except for canned tuna! What can I replace it with that is low calorie for fast days?

Both soups sound great but I am about to start my first fast day on Monday and they both serve 6. I’m doing this on my own (hubby works away all week) so was wondering if you could freeze them. This will be a bit of an adventure for me as I’m not a very good cook

Just tried your soup recipe – really tasty and filling. Thank you will use that again.

Have just made Mr L’s carrot, lentil etc soup. It is the most heavenly thing, tasty, filling & warming. my 10 year old son loves it too. Totally & utterly delicious. Thank you!

Assuming we leave the tomatoes whole for this, is this correct? Going to make it tomorrow.

That sounds very tasty, will try it soon. It’s only the end of my first fast day so am looking for tempting recipes just like this to keep me on track. Thank you!

Delicious, except that I would have had between 30g and 50g of lentils just for myself, never mind for 6 people 😊

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.