Mouse study indicates that intermittent fasting fires up metabolism and burns fa

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Mouse study indicates that intermittent fasting fires up metabolism and burns fa

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• http://coach.nine.com.au/2017/10/18/13/36/intermittent-fasting-fast-metabolism-burns-fat

“A study published in journal Cell Research tested IF on mice, finding that rodents who fasted for 16 weeks weighed less than those who didn’t fast, even though both groups ate the same amount of overall calories.

The fasting rodents also had more stable glucose and insulin systems — signs that their bodies were operating better. (In humans, elevated blood glucose and insulin resistance are linked to higher odds of being overweight and obese, and of cardiovascular disease.)

A follow-up experiment showed IF mice made these gains in only six weeks.”

Hi Big:

A common oversight when looking at these rodent studies is recognizing the difference between the metabolisms of rodents and humans. Going from memory, I believe a 16 hour fast for a mouse is about the same as a four day water fast for a human. And, indeed, human studies confirm that four day water fasts are very good for humans. But there are no studies I am aware of that say fasts measured in hours are beneficial to humans (except, of course, the fast associated with sleep).

So, when it comes to length of fast, don’t mix mice and men – they are really different!

@simcoeluv can you show me the studies on humans proving the longer water fasts are beneficial? I’ve hosted a challenge for a 72 hour water fast and found a few studies but would love to get more info.

Also, I have seen so many testaments to daily fasting for 18-24 hours that I really believe there are benefits even if the studies don’t support it.

Thanks for the link @big_bill.

@simoncoeluv,

Agreed, it is impossible to compare results with mice to results with humans on a 1:1 basis.

The study does demonstrate metabolic benefits from intermittent fasting. Whether those benefits can be replicated in humans, and how those benefits relate to the length and frequency of fasting, is obviously going to involve a properly controlled, much bigger, and more expensive undertaking when it involves humans rather than mice.

Hi XO and welcome:

You might start with the Eat, Fast and Live Longer video that started this whole thing. If you check my three 11 Apr 16 posts on this thread – https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/ – you will have a start.

As for 18 – 24 hours, I guess you are an example that if you say it often enough it becomes true. I am only aware of one study on the matter – a 22-2 study. It found “The present findings suggest that, without a reduction in calorie intake, a reduced-meal-frequency diet does not afford major health benefits in humans.”
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/4/981.full

It seems the reduction in calories is the key, not the time between meals. Note that in the EF&LL video, the person with the absolute best results ate a reduced calorie diet (1900 cal) every day, with no fasting anywhere in sight.

Good Luck!

Hello. Im a newbie. Does anyone know hos Thea every other day diet works? I have read allot about it, but is it possible to water fast on the fast days? Every page ive read says it has to be 50o calories. Ive done the diet for 2 weeks but ny metabolisme is vert low, and i have no trouble water fashing. Havent tried , hug i

…. But i would like to try. Sorry for Therese bad grammar, but om from norway and my ipad is correcting to Norwegian,dont know how to change that.

Hi Banana and welcome:

All you do on the every other day diet is eat what you want to eat (or to your TDEE if you want to lose faster) one day and eat 500 cal. or less on your diet day. You can water fast instead of eating anything on your diet days.

The less you eat, the more you lose.

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Thank you so much! But is it possible to remain muscle mass by eating zero calories on the fastings? Have you tried it? I cant find any answers. I want to lose fat, not muscle.

@bananaboo. I have been fasting for 2 years now. My fasts are zero calories. Initially it was 2 days per week. Now its one day per week as I now longer wish to lose any more weight. The vast majority of my weight loss comes from fat. There is a small loss of lean mass associated with loss of body fat. This is normal. As you weigh less you require less lean mass to support your frame. At a guess Id say its 90% fat 10% lean mass. If you wish to maintain the same lean mass but run less overall body weight then you really need to exercise with an emphasis on resistance training. Sorry but its that simple.

As people lose weight and see their legs and arms shrink they tend to think they are losing lean mass. No its mostly just fat. Go down in a semi squat position onto the balls of your feet so that your legs are straining. Now with your hands feel the tops of your thighs and calves. Can you identify all the individual muscle groups? If not then you don’t has as much lean mass as you think you do and what you are feeling is fat.

After a water fast I tend to naturally seek protein most of the time, but not always. Your body will tell you what it needs. Prior to a fast I tend to seek more fats.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.