Mimi welcomes the Salad Days of 2013

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Meal plans and meals
Mimi welcomes the Salad Days of 2013

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Debjb44 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Mimi welcomes the Salad Days of 2013

Easy. I knew it would be as soon as the sun came out. Fasting in the depths of winter, as we’ve all established, can be tough-going, requiring every last ounce of will power when hunger strikes. If all you really want to do is to cuddle up and snuggle down, your mind easily turns to filling, warming, wondrous food. Personally, I can dwell for a good long time on the glories of a jacket potato with butter and cheese… or a big roast with every trimming in the book. Hopefully, the intermittent nature of the Fast Diet – only two days, only two days – was enough to get us through those long cold months.

Now, things are far simpler. Salad days! It’s super-simple to cook on a Fast Day if the sun is dipping on the horizon and the barbecue is smoking in the yard. A piece of grilled fish, a spice-rubbed chicken breast, a skewer of lemony prawns – all of these things make a great back bone for a lo-cal al fresco supper. Add heaps of herbs and leaves, or a mound of char-grilled vegetables, and you’ve got the perfect fasting feast right there (look in the cook book for loads of inspiration: my favourite part of the book is the ‘Flavour Saviour’ section, last chapter, which has rubs, relishes and tangy, zingy sauces galore). We would love to hear your Fast Day BBQ recipes if you get a mo. Roll on summer, mark off those Fast Days and bring on the swimsuits!

I watched a programme last night called ‘secret eaters’. The presenter told the lady in the programme off for her ‘feast or famine’ style of eating, ie: not eating all week yet binging at weekends.
    She told the woman that this was making her fat and slowing her metabolism down thus her body was going into ‘starvation’ mode and holding onto fat. She encouraged her to eat 3 meals a day, (although only 1500 calories so she’d loose weight anyway)
    I myself love the 5:2 diet/lifestyle it suits me down to the ground, however , when i watched this programme the presenter was very convincing about the ‘3 meals a day’ thing and adament that not eating for days then ‘binging’ as she called it was bad.
    I understand over compensating on non fast days is stupid and not helpful to weight loss, but why are so many main stream doctors, professors etc so hung up on 3 meals a day?
    I am sticking with 5:2, On my fast days i’ve been not eating anything for 20 hours then my 500 calories then nothing at all until 12 hours or so later. Although now i’ve read I should really be fasting for 36 hours. So dhould i go 24 hours without then my calories then another 12 hours instead?
    Sorry such a long post, I’m new to all this !!!
    Many Thanks!

Hi roxydiva,
    I just read your post and then went looking around the site (my first visit). I thought you would find the following answers in the FAQs interesting:
    o The initial response of your body to a reduction in calories is to increase your metabolic rate. This is because, in our hunter-gatherer past, survival in times of food shortage would have depended on our becoming more active, going out to hunt and look for food. Only under conditions of extreme calorie deprivation, when we have been for weeks without enough food and our body fat has fallen dramatically does the body go into “starvation mode”. IF is not the same as crash dieting. Starvation mode does not happen if you cut your calories for a day!!

o In reality a fast day is 36 hours. If you finish your last full evening meal at 7.30pm on Sunday, then Monday is your fast day, you are not going to be eating normally till Tuesday morning 7.30am. That is 36 hours. If you decide instead to fast from 2pm on Monday until 2pm on Tuesday, then that will only be 24 hours. Wait till 7pm and that is 29 hours. To do 36 hours you would have to hold off till 2am on Wednesday, which would be a little inconvenient

While not a salad or a BBQ recipe, we enjoy the spring asparagus at any meal. Our current favorite fasting day lunch is pureed asparagus soup. Simply, 1.5 pounds asparagus, 4 cups good rich chicken broth (preferably homemade) and a dash of cayenne. Cook til asparagus is very tender and puree with hand blender until smooth. 1/4 of this recipe is about 50 calories and very satisfying.

Thankyou Hannahbanana! Nice to have a response x

Not sure where to post this but I’m new. Fasted for 3.5 days last month, then ate as usual for a week, then skipped Monday and Tuesday, then again, and now the third Monday and Tuesday starts tonite. (That way I get dinner on Sunday and Tuesday).

Not sure if I’m doing this right. Not sure if I can have a banana on Monday and Tuesday mornings. Not sure if I have to do two days in a row, but that just “feels” more like it would work than only one day in a row.

I’m under the impression that Mondays and Tuesdays should be vegetables only, but on my second week I cheated by having a baked potato from Wendy’s, salt only and only half the skin or a little less, but a potato is 100% starch and not really a “vegetable” as I define it for this purpose.

Comments? Or maybe someone can direct me to where better to post this? Thanks.

Hi, Steev – I’m a bit puzzled by some of your comments, I’m afraid. For a start, I wonder if you are following the regime described in ‘The 2-day Diet’ (written by Michelle Harvey & Tony Howell) rather than that of ‘The Fast Diet’ (by Michael Mosley & Mimi Spencer), only the latter book being the basis of this website. The two systems are similar but do emphasise rather different approaches. For instance, a banana or a baked potato would be fine on fast days according to The Fast Diet whereas they would both be off limits on the restricted days of The 2-Day Diet, being classed as too high in carbohydrates. Certainly, neither system says ‘vegetables only’ on your Mondays and Tuesdays – rather, you are advised to choose a good balance, including protein-rich foods as well as vegetables, to keep you satisfied as much as possible. The Fast Diet has no food restrictions – just a total calorie limit for fast days – and allows you to choose when to schedule your 2 fast days each week whereas The 2-Day Diet specifies only certain foods on restricted days and recommends 2 consecutive days. Perhaps you need to do some more reading and experimenting before choosing which one of the two systems you prefer. To my mind, mixing them up can only lead to confusion. Take a look at The 2-day Diet’s own website too, which is separate from this site. I hope you thrive on whichever method you settle on.

Can anyone tell me is there any calorie free food?

Douglas, there are no calorie-free foods – and there is no such things as negative-calorie foods, either (where, theoretically, the effort to digest the food burns more calories than the food itself contains). There are low-calorie foods – such as watery vegetables like celery or fruits like watermelon – and then a broad spectrum of increasingly calorie-dense foods, through to sugar, right up to pure fat. Have a search around online for the various calorie calculators that are available, if you need more information.

Hi Douglas,

You might want to try these:
    http://www.zeronoodles.com/

They are supposedly calorie free – They are made mostly from Konjac Plant and Glucomannan, i am yet to try them, i’ve planned to have them tonight as i’m fasting today.

Will let you know how they taste 🙂

Like roxydiva I too found the Secret Eaters programme fascinating viewing and was dismayed – for others – about the criticisms of fasting. Fortunately, having lost 4kg in 4 weeks on the Fast Diet, I now have sufficient confidence to continue with it. However, I was interested to learn recently from a young army sergeant that the army too perpetuates the same view as that stated in the Secret Eaters programme….

Like Mimi, I love salads in the summer, my favourite salad veg is spinach, in fact I’d probably eat just spinach as a green leaf if I could get it. More sensibly, I usually buy packs of mixed baby leaves and fresh herbs to mix together. Lately I’ve been converted from rice to Quinoa, which fills me up on a smaller portion and is great with roasted veggies, also as part of a salad plate. With so much choice these days, salads don’t have to be boring. My current favourite is mixed leaves, cherry tomatoes, baby beets and half a tin of John West steamed mackerel fillet (with a dollop of low-fat Hellmanns mayo).
    I save chip-shop fish and chips for Friday night – love salad but not 7 days a week.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.