Midsummer Challenge

This topic contains 152 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  LynneD 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 154 total)

• Hello. How did your weigh-in go? I put on 0.3kg, even after a very good FD on Monday. I’m not really surprised but am determined to better from now. I did another decent bike ride today- 32km. It was a good ride but it rained and it was only 6c and I was wearing shorts! I’m still feeling cold now.

Have you done your measurements? If so, have you reduced a lot in size? I haven’t lost a great deal of weight but definitely feel and look a bit less fat. My trousers almost fell down yesterday. I am going to do my measurements tonight as I think it might motivate me even more.

You are absolutely right in thinking ahead 3 months and beyond. We are going away in September and I am going to look good on the beach!

Next Monday will be my weigh-in for the month.
    Hoping to be on par with my 1 lb a week.

I have not measured…I probably should have…last weekend I did have a pair of shorts that were falling off…it was nice, because last year they were snug.

I am fasting today…hoping to have a good one!

Good luck to you!

Hello there! I’ve just re-joined today and love the idea of a midsummer challenge! I’m in my late 40s and the weight has crept up on me over the years. After the recent hot spell in the UK over Easter I realized that I can’t wrestle in to (let alone zip up) any of my summer clothes any more so action is needed!!

I did lose about 5 pounds with this diet a couple of years ago, so I’m kick-starting with a FD today to get things going. I’d like to lose 24-28 pounds in total, but any drop in weight would be a positive frankly, so I’m going set myself a goal of losing 12 pounds by end of June and hope this isn’t completely unrealistic!

I’ve just been reading through some of the great stories in this thread – it’s given me some motivation today already, thanks for all your stories.

Good luck all.

Hello Lynne and welcome. It’s great to have someone else join the challenge and no, 12lbs isn’t an unrealistic target if you stick with it. Sadly, as we get older it certainly gets harder to lose weight and I really struggle despite doing a fair bit of exercise. It’s a great idea to kick off with a FD- you really feel as if you’ve acheived something and you know the next day you can eat sort of normally. I’d recommend finding out your TDEE so you what to aim for on NFDs. Best of luck and just imagine yourself doing up those shorts!

Thanks firmandfruity. Good thought on the TDEE – I’ll check on this and also (gulp) go for some exercise…

Hi there, Lynne…glad to have you join us.

I agree with f&f, your goal is totally, obtainable.
    So, how did your fasting day go? It will get easier, once you get into a routine.

I had a good FD yesterday…eating in moderation today.

Have a great day.

Hi Ladies. I hope you’re well. Well done for the good FD, Floridag1r1 and let us know how you did, Lynne.

I’m doing 4:3 again this week with one 500 day and 2 800 days. This seems to work for me as I’m doing a lot of cycling at the moment and get so cold when I eat 500. I did another hour on the bike this morning, just over an hour and about half of it hilly (242m climbing!).

I worked out I’ve lost 3.8kg since I started, 5 weeks ago so it’s definitely working. Good luck for the rest of this week and start planning how you’re going to deal with the weekend.

Hi firmandfruity

Your initial post made me smile – and yes I would like to join you as my objectives are similar. Having bought a beautiful swimming costume for the summer (on line) with a lace up back I tried it on only to find ….. BACK FAT oozing out of the spaces between the laces! OMG!!! When did that happen??? My daughter kindly loosened up the laces a bit but, too late, the damage had been done! I knew I was past the bikini stage but ……

So started 5/2 four weeks ago although last week I was away and found it too difficult to fast so have only really successfully completed three weeks. Today is a fast day and I try and keep busy so am not thinking about food too much. I will just have fruit today and a light salad tonight. Would love to hear how other people manage to keep the hunger pangs at bay and what sort of food you have on fasting days. Fennel tea sounds like a good idea – I will definitely be trying that.

I mentioned in another forum that my friend started this diet in January and has lost just over a stone and her husband has lost two stone and they both look and feel so much better for it. She has got back to a weight she hasn’t been since before children (who are now in their 20’s). The difference between her and me though is that she is very focused and once she starts something she will see it through come what may. I, on the other hand, am a bit of a ‘give up at the first hurdle’ type of girl so if l don’t see results my head kinda tells me that l might as well eat and not lose weight rather than not eat and not lose weight! I am hoping the support from the forums will help.

Good luck guys – And LynneD I am trying to lose about the same as you so I will follow your progress with interest ….!!

D x

Welcome Duds. It’s great to have you with us, too. I have more weight to lose than you, probably about 17kg further but I will stop sooner if I start to look haggard! I think it’s best to strike a balance once you get past a certain age but we’ll see. I’m 58, btw.

On FDs, I try to keep busy and drink lots of water. My garden has never been so tidy. I have a small breakfast and try to include protein as it fills you up. I tend to have homemade veggie soup plus some proteiny thing early evening.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I would like to get some useful ideas to lose weight easily and naturally? Anyone can help me?

Good morning, and happy Friday from Florida!
    FD for me.

I am joining you f&f for a 3rd fasting day this week. My Friday fasts are similar…a partial fast, as I will enjoy a nice dinner with my hubby. 🙂
    Hearing about all of your exercise, is very inspiring…WTG!

Welcome, Duds! Promise yourself that you will stick with this for one month…and really stick with it! Then the weight-loss and the fact that you will be feeling so good…will help you stick with it longer. I am finding that this forum does help….coming here every morning to start my day with my goals in mind. They call it the fast diet…but it’s not fast weight-loss…I am losing about 1 lb a week…I think f&f is doing a little better than I am…but I have lost 20 lbs since the first of the year.

I have about 20-30 lbs more to lose also, to be at a “normal” weight…but like f&f, I will find the balance as I get closer, with how I look and feel…and am able to maintain. My son said to me last week…”Mom, I don’t want you looking like a shriveled-up, wrinkly old lady”…I told him that he could let me know if I’ve gone too far. LOL 😀

Brenden, I hope that you are exploring this site and finding the help that you need with this process.

Have a great weekend, everyone! Summer is coming! and we are going to look good! 🙂

Hi Guys

Well another week finished for me and it’s been a good one food wise. How has everyone else done this week? Does anyone fast at the weekend?

F&F – I think 3.8kg in 5 weeks is an amazing result! I would be very happy with that. My (very focussed) friend lost 6.3kg in about two months and, yes, it did show in her face. However, two months on again and she has maintained the weight loss but it seems to have redistributed itself and she looks much less drawn around her face now. I know I won’t do as well as her – I am not as driven and determined but so long as it goes in the right direction ….

Personally I am not weighing in – the scales and I just don’t get on well. If they are not nice to me I console myself with cake so I am just going by how I (and my clothes) feel. I have my starting weight and will weigh again at the end of the challenge. Can’t say I have noticed too much change – maybe a touch around the tummy! And I too have been cold on fasting days although the cold snap we are experiencing here in the UK hasn’t helped! What’s it like where you are in your very tidy garden? 

Enjoy the weekend and here’s hoping you are all losers 😉

D x

Thanks for the messages and great to have you join Duds! Let’s go for it and hit the beach without the back fat this summer! Amazing success F&F and Floridagirl, very inspiring indeed.

The first week’s gone OK so far – 2 fast days and 1-2 pounds down on the scales I think. Not feeling so ravenously hungry that I’ve been tempted to gnaw cardboard or a passing child, but a few headaches…maybe not enough water?

Have also bought an el-cheapo step counter at Argos and was horrified to see that in an average day I’m lucky to do 1/5th of the 10,000 steps a day I saw recommended somewhere. Time to get the trainers on!

Have a lovely weekend folks. x

Can I join you too. I began on Wednesday – first fast and it was ok. Mild headache and mild hunger but all manageable. I’m also going to try to cut down on carbs and sugar.

I’m in my fifties, work mostly at home sitting at a desk and have two teenagers (so loads of food in the house). I would like to lose around 2 stone (28lbs) which I realise will take time. The stories on here are very impressive and, as I’m naturally quite pessimistic and easily defeated, I’d love to keep up with your progress.

Good luck to all of you.

By the way I have also been very cold since my fast on Wednesday 26th April. Didnt eat very much yesterday (around 800 cals) as rather lost my appetite and had planned to fast today to give myself a kick start. However, I’m shivering so need to eat. Not sure how much of this is due to the sudden cold weather in the UK (and no heating on) and how much due to the fasting. Does anyone else get cold?

Also, do you think it is worth trying to do 4:3 or is it self defeating? I’m inclined to try but wonder if it is too hard and will put me off the whole diet.

Hello Everyone and welcome to Sweettooth and Brenden. Well done to all of you for your FDs but now comes the hardest part (for me, anyway)… the weekend!

I can do FDs quite easily now but have gone seriusly off piste a couple of times at the weekend. Does anyone else have this problem? Things that have worked for me:
    Planning ahead so if I’m eating out, I eat very little or nothing during the day (like you, Floridag1r1).
    Getting out on my bike- you can’t eat whilst riding and I’m less tempted to eat rubbish if I’ve done a good workout.
    Weighing myself weekend mornings- not an official weigh in but if I see I’ve gained 1.5kg I cut back that day.

Please share your ideas about what else you can do to not sabotage your losses.

Brenden, this isn’t an easy way to lose weight but it does work if you’re determined and you can eat sort of normally some of the time.

Bon weekend.

Hi
    Sweettooth: Like you I work at a desk all day, with teenagers in the house. I got cold too this week, and ended up drinking loads of fruit tea at the end of the week to try to stay warm.

Ah the weekend F&F! Great plans to have ‘just the one’ glass of wine last night on a night out with friends…well, oops. Good idea to have a meal plan for the weekend as well, I’ll try that!

Hi all,

Yes firmandfruity I think the non fast days will be hardest. Am trying to stick to low sugar and carbs this weekend but there is so much temptation! Planning ahead is definitely a good idea – not quite there yet but I’m about to try to organise an menu.

It’s hard isnt it LynneD wtih food everywhere and kids seeming to be constantly eating. On the positive side I feel a little virtuous and oddly wasn’t tempted by lovely greasy veg spring rolls my kids had for lunch. I had feta salad.

Now to menu plan.

Hello Everyone. How are you all doing? I know it’s a bank holiday in a lot of places but I’m doing a FD and wondered if anyone else is too. I’m weighing in tomorrow so after the weekend (always difficult for me) I’m actually glad to get back to being strict. This week, I’m going to be off on a 3 day cycle tour, probably cycling 4 hours minimum every day, maybe more so I’ll be burning mega calories and fasting is out of the question. However, I won’t be eating rubbish nor drinking alcohol so I might come back weighing less. I’ll hopefully pick up wifi somewhere and be able to make contact and then back home Thursday night and doing a FD on Friday.

Floridag1r1, how did your weigh in for the end of April go? I’d love to hear how you’re all getting on and especially your weight losses. Good luck and I’ll let you know how I get on in the morning.

Hi firmandfruity, I’m on a FD today despite the BH. Everyone busy so seems like a good day and after quite a lot of food over the weekend I’m glad to get back to it. Not done a full week and I won’t weigh myself until Friday as I don’t want to be discouraged if little impact. I’m sure your cycle tour will cancel out your non fast days – it sounds brilliant and reminds me I must build in exercise.

Good luck!

Good morning…I hope that everyone had.

I am fasting today also…good luck to all the fasters. 🙂

f&f, I lost another 5 lbs….so that is a total of 20 lbs since the first of the year. Have a great cycling tour, it sounds wonderful…and so good for you!

Have a nice day.

Good morning all. I hope everyone who fasted yesterday had a good one.

Brilliant news on your 5lb loss for April and 20lb since 1st January, Floridag1r1. That is a significant weight loss and you must be so happy!

I weighed in and have lost 0.6 kg since last week (but did gain weight the previous week) so the trend is now downwards again. Since I started on 15th March, I’ve lost 4.1kg (9lb) which is OK.

This week will be interesting with all the cycling. When I’ve done this before, I haven’t lost weight during the week because muscles hold onto more fluid when they’re repairing but then the week after, I’ve lost weight. We’ll see what happens this time.

Anyway, please let me know how you’re all doing. Happy planning and good luck for your FDs this week.

Midsummer day is 7 weeks tomorrow. We CAN do this!

Hi Guys

7 weeks till Midsummer (wow – already??) so 14 fasting days to go ….

I will do my best to stick with it Floridag1rl – your weight loss is helping me focus on my goals!! And LynneD – a fit band is probably one of the best things I have ever bought! My weight crept on gradually when I lost my much loved dog after 17 years. I stopped walking and sat around drinking tea and eating chocolate. I now have another dog and a Miband and it’s amazing the difference it makes. You soon get to know your routes and how many steps they are.

Anyway the purpose of this post was to share something from another forum. A lady in her 70’s posted that she has been following this life style for a while now – although mainly for health benefits, she has lost a significant amount of weight. She has a thigh gap! A thigh gap!!!! I can only dream of a thigh gap!!! She writes a blog and shares recipes for fast days which some of you may find useful. You can find them at

https://fastingme.com/

Keep it up – D x

Hi! I just started so I’m a bit behind but would like to join you if I may. It’s great to see a lot of support here. Today is my first FD and it’s been agony (all mental of course). I’m really not sure I can do this but will try to give it a go until June 21 with all of you. At that point, we’ll see….

Hi folks,

Welcome Keetseel! Hope you’re enjoying today after yesterday’s FD? I’m a newbie here too, but 2nd and 3rd FDs were definitely easier than the first! Good luck with your first week.

Duds – good tip on the recipe links, some great ideas there, thanks so much.

Well, after first full week and a half, down 3 lb, so encouraged that scales are going in the right direction (even if it’s mostly water!). It’s really motivating to hear about everyone’s stories here. Congrats Floridagirl too, 20lb is amazing. F&F hope your cycle tour is going well.

Good morning everyone.
    Welcome Keetseel!

Duds, thanks for sharing…I will check it out later. It sounds very inspiring.

f&f, I hope that the cycling tour is going well…and that weightloss is right on target…about a pound a week! WTG!

WTG! on your first weeks loss, Lynne!

My fasting day on Monday went well…Today, I am doing my second FD.

Good luck everyone.

Hello Everyone and welcome to Keelseel. I hope you’re all getting on well. I’m still on my cycle trip and trying to to do this on my phone. 76 km yesterday and 65 km today so I’ve used a lot of calories. Another day of cycling tomorrow then home. Be good and I’ll be back properly soon.

LynneD, the other day my favorite summer pants ripped when I crouched down to pick something up. For motivation, there’s absolutely nothing better than too-tight clothes.

Hello from Florida

f&f – so glad to hear from you…it sounds like it is going well for you…there is no way I could ever cycle that far…you are very inspiring.
    Stay safe

I hope that everyone else is doing well this week…having good fasting days.

My fasting day yesterday was great, and I did do some exercise.
    Hopefully, I can be good over the weekend. We’re going to the beach for little get-away…it’s going to be hard to be good on holiday.

I hope that everyone is having a great week.

Hello Everyone. I’m back from my cycle tour. Firstly, apologies to Keetseel for getting your name wrong. I only take my old prescription glasses when I cycle and I can’t read correctly without them and I was also trying to post on my phone. It’s great to have you with us and I look forward to hearing about your weight losses. I have so many clothes which don’t fit me it will be like having a whole new wardrobe when I lose enough weight.

The cycle tour was great. We finished today with 71km along the Atlantic coast; very windy and pretty hilly carrying 2 panniers and a back box so feeling tired now. I have eaten quite a lot but used a lot of calories. I am doing a FD for 24 hours from now so I can enjoy a nice meal tomorrow evening with my husband. Then back to the plan as normal. Hopefully I won’t have gained weight when I weigh in on Tuesday.

I hope you are all doing well. Keep up the good work 🙂

Hi everyone, I hope you’re all good. I had my first weigh in this morning (3FD and 6NFD in) and I have lost 4lbs! I’ve reduced carbs and sugar and I’ve reduced my calories on NFD. I realise some of the weight loss may be water but nonetheless I feel better and more energetic. I’m much more aware of what I’m eating – coffee and cake are much less appealing – and I’m trying to walk 8-10,000 steps a day. Another FD today but feeling fairly confident.

I hope everyone is doing well. The stories I read on this forum really inspired me so thank you.

Duds – thanks for the link. Really useful.

Hello everyone and very well done to Sweettooth; a 4lb loss is great! Yes some of it might be water but have you felt the weight of 4lb? Try filling a 1.5 litre bottle with water and carrying it around for an hour. That only weighs 3.3lbs and it feels seriously heavy. Also, well done for the walking. It has to make a difference.

Who else is trying to do more exercise? Today, I’m gardening before it rains tonight. I’ve just planted french beans and will continue with celeriac, aubergines, peppers, broad bean plants and courgettes.

I hope your mini-break is going well, Floridag1r1. Enjoy but walk away from the ice-cream!

I’m on a FD until 5pm this evening (I started at 5pm yesterday) then will do another on Monday.

Good luck to all of you over the weekend and please keep us posted on your weigh-ins.

Hello all,

Impressive cycle trip F&F! And great first week Sweettooth! That 4lb is seriously motivating I’m sure. Like you Keetseel and F&F, it’s the promise of fitting into the waiting wardrobe that’s keeping me going!

On FD, I’m finding it easier not to eat at all until the evening. Anyone else the same? If I have either breakfast or lunch I’m ravenous by evening, but by just drinking tea, water, coffee throughout the day I don’t seem to notice too much. Like you Sweettooth, I’m trying to cut the carbs down on NFD too.

Struggling to find time for exercise during the work days, so I’m trying the HIT technique as I reckon I can manage 10 mins! The old exercise bike has been dusted off, so today’s the day…

A quick hello before we hit the road…

sweettooth – Congratulations! that is a fantastic loss! Keep doing what you are doing, you know that it is working. 🙂

f&f – you are very inspiring to me, we are bout the same age (53 here) and about the same weight…your energy and activity level is fantastic! I’m so glad I found your thread. And thank you for you encouragement … I WILL walk away from the ice cream. 😀

Have a great weekend everyone…good luck with your fasting days.

Hi Guys

It looks like things are going well for you all – well done everyone! It certainly helps and it so encouraging when the scales begin to register a difference. I am not weighing myself but can definitely notice a difference now.

Observations so far are that:

• The fast days are definitely getting easier to manage. Yesterday I went until 4pm without actually eating anything and didn’t really notice any hunger. Plus you kinda get into a routine with it and know what you can eat when and what fills you up. I do my fast days when I have a Zumba class simply because it’s a distraction.
    • I do get cold on fast days but I guess this is a good thing – your metabolism is working harder to warm you up.
    • Already feel I have more energy and the dog is having sooo many walks – he is loving this diet!!! I feel as if I should be channelling my energy into something a bit more productive like firmandfruity (your garden sounds amazing) but one thing at a time!
    • I like the flexibility of this diet and the fact that you can eat relatively normally on non-fast days. I haven’t actually told anyone I am on a ‘diet’ (apart from you lot!!) and no one seems to have noticed although a colleague told me I was looking ‘well’ :).

Have a good weekend. See you next week – 12 more fasts till mid-summer!!!

Thanks firmandfruity for your thoughts about the weight of four pounds in water. It’s rather shocking but very motivating. I think human fat is similar in volume to butter pound for pound, whch is also shocking but does show that small losses are well worth it.

Hope everyone has a good, successful weekend.

Duds, F&F, LynneD, here’s to you all for being so active on FDs. I’d like to do that but think I’ll give it another week or two and let my body get used to no food. Do you have less strength on those days? Or do you just use it as a distraction and not worry about performance/energy? I tried going to dance class one day on no food and had to sit down halfway through. ZERO energy.

Made a rookie mistake on Friday–our office had a potluck and someone brought Texas barbecue. Thinking I’d nix the carbs and go for protein, I wound up eating about half a pound of meat. It was sooo good but I felt pretty horrible for the rest of the day and throughout the night.

Still on the uphill side of the learning curve!

Hello everyone. How are you all? FD for me today- so I’ll try to stick to 500 calories.

Keetseel, I always do some exercise on FDs as it keeps my mind off food and really seems to help with fat busting. The only limiting factor I’ve found is to be hydrated- drinking a lot is key. I’ll drink tea when I get up, eat nothing and go for a 2 hour bike ride. I’ll drink a litre of water on the ride and probably another when I get back. Your meat experience sounds horrible!

Good luck for your FDs and I hope to hear of some nice weight losses very soon.

firmandfruity – FD for me too so nice to be in good company. Your cycling sounds like a great way for you to take your mind off food. I don’t cycle – hilly here and I’m not very fit – but I am walking as much as I can.

I had a lazy weekend and although I didnt binge I found I was eating when I wasnt hungry – I seemed to be constantly surrounded by food. Planning my meals today as that seems to be key. Not long on this diet but so far I have enjoyed the FDs. I just have to remember to drink lots.

Good luck everyone.

Good morning everyone. How are you doing?

Sweettooth, how did your FD go yesterday? Floridag1r1, are you back from the mini-break? My FD was good although I was cold and hungry in the evening. I made one of those instant low calorie hot chocolate drinks (40 calories) which I used to like but it tasted disgusting- really sweet with artificial sweetener. I went for a morning bike ride and in the afternoon, I kept busy in the house and garden.

I lost a whole kg this week when I weighed in so feeling very chuffed 🙂

Let us all know how you’ve done.

Hi firmandfruity, good FD yesterday so, although hungry I was able to stick at it. All that moving must be really good for you – I’m trying to increase mine though not brilliantly – 5,000 steps some days and 10,000 others. I think I’m naturally lazy but I also think carrying extra weight around is a disincentive. I’m certainly feeling more energetic since losing a few poundsh.

Duds – I do agree with you that FDs get easier to manage and putting off that first bit of food also helps. How was the weekend?

Hope everyone is doing well. Having this forum is really helping me – great to feel part of a team. I think I may have drifted off the diet without it.

Morning all!

Wow F&F – great results with a whole kg in the week!!

I’m pleased to have lost 2lb since last week, despite the weekend glass of wine or two. My jeans are definitely feeling less tight, so very pleased to be seeing some results for the effort! Onwards and downwards….

For me, light exercise on a FD works OK, I find it takes my mind off the fast, and makes me feel less hungry too.

Good morning all

f&f – good job with the weightloss!
    Lynn – you too, WTG!

It sounds like everyone is doing well with their fasting days.

I had a wonderful mini-break. The beach was glorious. I don’t feel like I did too bad (food wise) while I was away…but I don’t dare step on the scale…it could just be depressing for me. I am home today, I have a mountain of laundry to do and I must get some groceries. I am going to attempt a fasting day…and I will try to get some exercise…I’ll let you know how I do. Back to normal life tomorrow and I will weigh-in on Friday.

Have a great day.

Hello everyone.

I’m so glad you had a lovely mini-break, Floridag1r1. One of the joys of this diet is that you can enjoy yourself and indulge once in a while without that ‘I’ve blown my diet so I’ll eat everything I see ‘ mode kicking in.

Very well done to you, Lynne on a fabulous 2lb loss. It’s such a great feeling to have clothes getting looser!

I’m on my second FD of this week so I had a small bowl of porridge and tea before a bike ride. I’ve just had coffee for lunch and tonight it’ll be chilli con carne with salad.

For me, doing exercise on FDs (and NFDs) is really important. It really keeps my mind off food. I’m also in training for a big (13 day) cycle trip coming up soon. We’ll be cycling from St Moritz in Switzerland to Venice! I’ll be able to eat gorgeous Italian food without putting any weight on because I’ll be using so many calories. Yay! Hopefully, I’ll balance it so I actually lose a bit of weight.

Midsummer day is 6 weeks today and next week it’s forecast to reach temperatures of 27c here so those summer clothes will be coming out soon. Good luck with your FDs and weigh ins this week. We are doing this!

Hi F&F

Do enjoy your bike ride. The last time we were in St Moritz with our bikes in May (we were heading down the Inn and Danube to Vienna) it was snowing! Remember, shivering uses up calories😉

We are leaving next Wednesday for eight weeks cycling from Munich to Amsterdam – no Alps along our route. Self-supported camping may make 5:2 a challenge, but we’ll also use lots of calories. No Italian food unfortunately:-(

Hello everyone. How are you all doing? It was really good to hear from another touring cyclist, PerthGirl. How long have you being doing 5:2 and how much weight do you want to lose? Your Munich to Amsterdam trip sounds amazing but I don’t think I could cope with camping and cycling!

I’ve done 2 FDs this week (500 each day) as we have 2 days of social events today and Friday and I can’t fit 4:3 in. I’m feeling really hungry today and although it’s a NFD, I need to save some calories for this evening. Tomorrow we’ve got a picnic lunch and a meal out in the evening which could be tricky. I think I need to drink more water on NFDs, too.

How have you got on after your weekend break, Floridag1r1? Are you back on plan?

I’d love to hear how you’re all doing and any progress you’ve made.

Hi everyone, great to read your posts.

I had a NFD yesterday and I was at my desk (working at home) so not much walking and lots of eating toast! Had supper with friends – huge meal followed by meringue – so I ate lots of carbs and sugar and more calories than I’ve eaten any day in the last two weeks. I woke up this morning feeling awful and rather defeated. I imagine this the point at which it would be very easy to fall of the plan.

I’m very glad I have this forum – it makes such a difference to feel part of something beyond my own life. No one else I know is following the fast plan (as far as I know). I’m going to try hard to stick to 500 calories today no carbs or sugar. I know I’ll feel better for it. Also planning a long walk and will drink lots of water. We’ll see..

Good luck to you all – and well done firmandfruity and LynneD. It looks like you are very well organised and it’s working.

Hi Sweettooth. I’m really glad you posted; I was feeling a bit ‘Billy no mates’ on here today and also really, really hungry and a bit fed up with the weather. Don’t beat yourself up about going a bit off piste yesterday. I lost it with lemon meringue pie and cream about a month ago, too. Very easily done!

The long walk and water idea sound excellent- we all need to find fail-safe strategies to get back on track when we’ve strayed. I find the support of other people on here immensly useful and it’s so nice to feel as if you’re not the only one following the plan.

Do you like drinks such as lemon, ginger, fennel teas? I find them rather good on a fasting day and indeed, on a day when I’m at home and thinking of raiding the food cupboards. I buy the ‘Pukka’ brand which have no artificial ingredients and feel as if I’m having a sort of foodie treat for zero calories.

Have you planned your meals for the next couple of days? It helps me greatly if I have nice meals to look forward to and it has saved me from ‘grazing’ on many an occasion.

Another thing which helps me is to try on (or attempt to try on) an item of clothing. I have a pair of Armani jeans which I haven’t worn for about 10 years. I can now get them up to mid-thigh which is better than 7 weeks ago. I am determined I will be able to wear them again, maybe around my birthday in 4 months time. If it takes longer, then so be it.

I’m sorry for rambling on but hope you feel a bit more motivated knowing you’re not alone.

Hi F&F

I started at the end of January, and I had a goal of 11 lb to lose to trim some body fat ready for this trip. I have now lost 16.5 lb! Ah, well, it’s less weight to propel up the hills.

Camping is good if you have a companion to help carry the gear, and we always sleep well in the fresh-air. Plus, its cheaper so we can stay longer. This is our fourth long cycle-tour to Europe and will be our last 🙁 It is getting too difficult to find an air line that allows us to take our bikes from Australia at a reasonable price and, at 69, I’m finding that the hassles of trundling through airports with all our gear are just getting a little too difficult.

Have a wonderful trip, enjoy the mountains. Does your route take you through the Bernina Pass?

Hi firmandfruity

Thanks so much for your thoughts. As you say it makes a difference not feeling alone on this plan. I will try the teas – I think a bit of variety will help. I’m at the moment drinking a lot of fizzy water.

I think today will be fine as I’m very busy and not at home much so should be able to keep under 500 cals. I’m having one meal and saving it for as late as I can. I will plan my meals for the rest of the week as I think that must be key. Clothes also feeling a little looser.

Thanks again. You’ve cheered me up.

Good luck to everyone.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 154 total)

You must be logged in to reply.