Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 5,077 total)

• Hi everybody.

A couple of weeks ago I bought five packets of Eat Water Slim Pasta Fettuccine which someone on another thread had recommended. Unfortunately when I opened one I was nearly overcome by the stench of fish. I checked the reviews on Amazon to make sure there was nothing wrong with them, but most people say that it smells of fish. I put the pasta in a bowl of water under a running tap for twenty minutes while I cooked the bolognese sauce, but the smell of fish remained. I hoped the smell would disappear when I added it to the sauce, which it did, but I then found that the texture of the pasta was like chewing rubber bands which I wasn’t keen on. I am afraid that I have thrown the other four packets away.

According to the reviews on Amazon the Barenaked Noodles smell and taste the same as the Eat Water ones, so I think I will not be wasting any money on them. If you like chewing fish tasting rubber bands, go for it!

Graham.

Milena – I usually do a normal fast day followed by a liquids only day every week. What are you going to do? Will you have another fast day this week? I don’t see how I can fit one in. So many neighbours, such little time 🙂

Ginette – thanks for the Wii Fit link, she must have really cut her calorie intake to lose so much weight, I reckon.

Still cold and cloudy here in “sunny” Spain 🙁

Milena, I read somewhere that the fat gets that “squishy” appearance before it goes. I forget the scientific reason why, but it’s a good thing! I thought the same thing when looking at my stomach just this morning!

I ended up eating a little more than planned on my fast day yesterday. I did good all day, but last evening, I just had to eat a bit more. Not bad food….just a bit of cheese and a few pretzels. Felt much better for it, so it’s all good.

Off to boot camp in a few minutes. Last session for the week. My sister comes this afternoon and I’m off work tomorrow. Not sure what we’ll do, but that’s the beauty of it…..just see where the wind takes us!

Have a lovely day!

Hi Lori

That sounds great. Had a pee when I got up, always check the colour to check if I’m dehydrated – there was a film of oil in the bowl. Rather perturbed, thinking how wonderful if it’s coming out in my water.

When I mentioned this phenomenon to OH, he gave me lots if sound scientific reasons for it.

Then told me he had put chicken fat down the loo!

And there was me thinking I was melting!

Applepie, I fasted on Monday, doing it again tomorrow, do a 4:3 this week.

Had my eggs, but the white bread was such a disappointment. Just had half a slice and told son he could have the crust. Just NWTC!!!!!

Travel hopefully

Hi all, I dont post often , I am a lurker really! However there are a couple of things I must tell you all. Firstly, I have been doing the 5;2 for over a year and sometimes the 4;3 with just liquids only. I was successful for a year, but then things slowed down dramatically. Then I tried harder and harder till I was nearly always fasting. It didnt do much good, so now I am on a new system of zero cals mon, 500 tue, 1000 wed/thur, 1500 fri and 2000 sat/sun. I have not weighed in much for a while but I have a FEELING its working, and the measurements have reduced a bit. But this week something very strange happened! I started fasting on tue as mon was a bank holiday. It was a liquid fast. I didnt feel hungry. Wednesday came, another liquid fast to compensate for the bank holiday. NORMALLY I WOULD EAT MY OWN LIMBS OFF AT THAT STAGE, but today, wed, I sill wasnt hungry so I decided to do a semi fast which consisted of 700 cals. Here I am at the end of day 3, still not hungry!!! Its so so unlike me!! I am not complaining. Has anyone got an explanation?? I didnt eat more than usual last week end!

Oh another thought that struck me lately. …I asked myself could I go back to being a non-faster now?? And the answer is 100% NO!!! From now on I will fast, in some way or other, and because I want to, not because I ought to!! If I did not fast I would feel bloated, and guilty, not that I am a HUGE eater, but this fasting thing just feels RIGHT!! It really really is a life style change. So girls , could you go back to non fasting now, and how would you feel? Oh, and I want to include Graham as well, as I have read his posts with interest!!

Kindle sounds like you are well and truly in ketosis. That is a known hunger killer. I’ve never gone that long without eating, and can’t imagine it! Good on you!

It wouldn’t feel right not to fast! I’ve been doing it religiously for 3 months and its just part of the routine. I’ll be taking a 10 day break from it starting next Thursday, but I know I’ll be ready to get back to it.

Ketosis, Lori???? Gosh I didnt think of that, even though I have read a million books on fasting!! How silly of me!!
    Good luck to you with the break. Its so reassuring to know you can step right back in later!!

Hi. Kindle

Great to hear from you.

Google long fasts, there is some fascinating stuff out there, month long and 40 day fasts. Not advocating it, but I did 400 cals Monday, 1400 Tuesday, none yesterday, had 2 eggs around just before twelve, left half my bread. Not feeling at all hungry. Feeling super bouncy,dancing to rock music this morning, until Son told me it was embarrassing. Sleeping like a top, glowing skin, flabby hair and feeling like I could take on the world.

Maybe we have just stuffed ourselves for years. Though I remember eating like this in my twenties and not giving it a second thought.

I’m seriously thinking of complete fasts on fast days?

Having steak tonight, thinking I should have protein, trying to listen to my body – though it’s asking for a Costa latte this afternoon!

How come a calorie restricted DIET, especially one which says some foods are nonos, will have us giving up after a fortnight and having a binge?

Not sure if my fat feels squishy?

This is a link to fast diet food ideas. I contains the messages for bare naked noodles and a few other recipes. Maybe we can add to them.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/very-quick-and-easy-fast-day-meals/

Ginette

Hi Everybody and thanks Kindle for including me in the girls. 😉

I’m not doing 5:2 anymore, I’m permanently on Atkins (or LCHF as it’s known nowadays) and my average daily calories are around 1600, so I am in Ketosis permanently now.

There are apparently four stages with Atkins, number one being no carbs except what I get from above ground growing vegetables I can have with my tea (which works out at less that 20g a day), up to number four which can include wild rice, carrots, baked potatoes and stuff like that, but is mainly used as a WOL maintenance type thing.

Had my bacon, eggs and tomato this morning, went for a five mile walk, came back and thought I’d have a nap on the sofa, slept for six hours! Looking forward to my tea tonight, beef mince and home made bolognese sauce again (mainly mushrooms, tomato and red wine), as soon as I’ve dragged myself into the shower to waken up a bit. Feel a bit week on this Atkins thing sometimes, good job I don’t have to work.

Graham.

Hello everyone..
    Anyone else missing Janeyw? We haven’t heard from her for a bit.

Graham,, 10 years ago I managed to lose about 30 Kgs. on the Atkins Diet. It was very effective and over a year, I shed all the excess weight. I was quite strict about carbohydrates in my diet. The MINUTE I went back to eating ANY carbs, I started putting the weight back on again, and over the years, I am back to where I had started and then some.

Atkins is very effective. It is actually quite amazing that you can consume big amounts of food, cheese, eggs, etc and still lose weight. One thing I found at that time, though, that I got a lot of plaque on my teeth. I wonder if you have the same experience.

Milena, I loved the fat melting story.. Another one for your sitcom :). I am like you with most of my weight on my hips and thighs, but I am more of a pear. I have a relativey small waist (only relatively) but I have a small bust, slim arms (at least I used to.. the fat has crept there as well) and lower legs and the weight does not really show in my face. So, when I do put on weight, it is very unbalanced. I can wear a size 12-14 on top, but need an 18 for bottoms. So, I am simultaneously two different sizes! When I buy a skirt or trousers, I ALWAYS have to have them altered to take the waist in, which is nuisence. I have noticed recently that the fat is migrating to my knees and I can even see some cellulite in my calves. My belly button is at least 2 inches below my waist (so being instructed to measure my waist at the belly button level are always so confusing for me).

My weight is going up, but I am not going to succumb to fasting for days on end. I want to try to live a normal life. There is a big temptation to try to fast more days or eat less on fast &/or non-fast days, but I don’t want to do that. I want to try to stick to as normal a regimen as possible. I KNOW that I cannot keep to a style that includes lots of deprivation; afterall, I had lost 25 kgs and 30 kgs at different times in my life (and less at others) only to put it all back again. I don’t want a repeat performance. If it takes 2 years to lose the weight, so be it, but I want to re-learn a ‘normal’ way of life, where I can eat a bit of everything, indulge sometimes and restrict at others. There is no way I can stick to 3 or 4 fast days a week.

I am fasting today (after having consumed too many Lindt chocolates lying around the house – Do you find that they are addictive, you eat one and you almost HAVEto have the next?) and being rather strict withmyself. I have only had black coffee and herbal tea so far (yuck) and may have lentil soup only for the evening, but am hoping that this is doable and that tomorrow, I will have better self control.

On the other hand, is it possible that the new cheap scales are just being nasty to me?

Ginette, yesterday I tried the new way to peel an orange, I have to say I was not able to do it quite as elegantly as the woman in the video, and it did get quite messt. I have not tried the boiled egg one yet. maybe tomorrow.

Lori, enjoy having your sister around. It is wonderful to share a nice time with someone close.

Applepie.. say “Hola” to your wonderful, cake making neighbours! What I would do for a tortilla right now followed by a strawberry cream cake!

Hi all

Hi Graham

I have tried the noodles that you mentioned and yes fishy smell. However after reading about these people have commented that they don’t have a fishy smell (or taste). I have a packet here ready to try tomorrow, I will give feedback then. Jaye was also going to buy some.

Milena

You’re tales of fat down the loo made me laugh. I know that if you take the tablets xenical they do this by getting rid of the fat in your body.

The docor gave me some but I don’t eat a lot of food with big amounts of fat so never really took them. I know that they also do have tablets for getting rid of carbs. I would rather do things in natural ways if I can.

Hi Salma

Janeyw said that she won’t be in touch as often as she has started a new job. I haven’t tried the Orange or egg myself yet. Maybe there is a knack to it. When I try I shall let you know.

Hi Kindle

Glad it seems to be working for you now. It must be really disappointing to not lose any weight for a while. I think the body gets used to your habits, I have sometimes found that if I have had a week and really overeaten it triggers me to start losing again. Completely illogical I know.

Hi Lori

I am a bit like you. I have also been doing it for nearly three months. It regulates the eating on other days which is really important.

Ginette

Hi all

missing our superstar Janeyw too, I often feel Ive had a workout listening to what she does! Hope the job is going well.

Had a piece of tiffin with my – small – costa, shared it and ate about a third. Has a small crust of wholemeal bread. Such a sore tummy afterwards. Will have to investigate why.

Tiffin NWTC by the way. Costa latte so definitely was!

Had trout and salad for dinner, feeling a bit off now.

Can only think my tummy has shrunk to nothing, I shall have to give up food altogether and just live on chocolate, ice cream and champagne.

Chocolate and ice cream melts on the tongue, so nowhere near tummy, and champagne goes straight to my head.

I suppose the hard part is getting variety, but I believe there are lots of chocs to choose from and many flavours of ice cream. Nothing worse than boring food.

And fruit and nut chocs, many different fruit ice creams – and not forgetting champagne is made of fruit – will hopefully mean I get my vitamins and five a day.

Obviously just up to TDEE, and the good old 393 calories on a fast day, or put another way, just a half bottle of champgne, better get the Krug ordered – its a hard life!!!

So still 5:2, just not as we know it!!!

Travel hopefully

Hi Milena

I believe tiffin is a cake. What does it taste like?

Hi there
    I have been working on this lifestyle eating 5:2 since September when I went to my sisters 50th and realised that all other diets, shakes, exercise had not been working for me. At 56 I was nearly 20kg over my 18th birthday weight and above my last week of pregnancy weight.
    Nothing I did worked. I love exercise, no good. I tried shakes, no good. Tried minimising calories, no good.
    After an argument with my hubby who was loosing kg doing the same stuff I was so frustrated. Hence I decided to try this after seeing the TV program. Bought the books and away I went.
    It is not an immediate kilos off. I have been going since September and now it is April. I have got stuck sometimes on a weight for 3 months. Frustrated I turned to the forums and got more ideas. See below my latest entry. For those starting do. For those thinking of stopping don’t. Good luck.
    10th April entry
    Been working on some 3 day weeks and some extension fast ie fast Monday and then don’t have any food till lunch time next day. Seems to be working finally gone down from 68kg to 66kg after 3 months of being stuck on 68kg. I have lost 10kg and 23cm off my body. 🙂 Funny ppl are only just starting to ask have you lost weight???? I have also upgraded my goals as I am already surpassing some of my set goals. So happy. This is a lifestyle choice not a diet. I realise we just eat way too much food and our sedentary lifestyle and stress is packing on the weight! Love this concept.

Cheap scales have changed their mind about me.. at least for today. Back to 88.4 Kgs. Thankfully.
    I only had lentil soup yesterday , which seemed like a godsend after starving all day.
    I am beginning to see that I will probably not lose any weight on this vacation, but I will feel quite happy if I am able to stay at around 88 Kgs until I get back home. Even this is going to be a challenge, but I am going to try to keep doing the fast at least once a week. It would be a nightmare if I jumped over 90.. I think I would lose a lot of steam.

Evelyn, thank you so much for your post. I completely understand what you went through before starting on this new way of life. It was the same for me for the past few years. Nothing worked. At last, this 5:2 seems to be working, if very slowly. It does help when you read about others stuck at one weight for a while. I am 30 Kgs. over whaat I used to be at 18, and heavier than at the end of my pregnancy weight.. I do not imagine that I will get back to 58 Kg, but 70 would be wonderful. I would even be satistisfied with 75.

I have to say that the Milena 5:2 sounds absolutely heavenly. Not only do fruit ice creams provide yor 5-a-day, but nuts in chocolates? fulll of protein and good things. Maybe you should start a new movement?
    Scrambled eggs on toast for me this morning. Can’t wait!

Good Morning All!

Spending a leisurely morning drinking coffee with my sister. It’s a rainy morning, but we have no big plans. Hoping things clear this afternoon so we can go do a bit of shopping here in our small town. It’s nice to walk around, but not in the pouring rain. We’re going out for dinner tonight with some friends to a place that has really good food. Looking forward to that. It would seem I’m in vacation mode already, but I will have at least 1 good fast next week before I head out.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Hi Salma

given it a lot of thought, my concern is spots! Actually, I never get spots, however some people might get spotty on my new version of 5:2. Also, although as you well know, I am never tempted off this path by treats, a few may get bored with champagne and resort to red wine (Im particularly thinking of Applepie). Worse yet, cava, asti or, ye gods sparkly perry).

Also, some may become tempted by bogof offers, next the TDEE out of the window, and we will have drunken reports about 5:2ers being unable to leave 3 litre tubs of Ben and Gerry’s alone until it is all gone, and don’t even start me on the special offer on 3 packs of magnums.! And now that easter eggs are half price at Sainsbury’s …………. well, I’m sure you can understand my concerns.

So, in my role as chief cheerleader – I’ve bought the mini dress and pompoms – good job I have a £10 voucher for M&S, my bridget jones knickers just dont look good under this ensemble, should I get a thong??? Do they do thongs in a size 18? Is it legal?

I digress, point is I care about you lot, so Ive decided to stict strictly to standard 5:2, or rather 4:3 this week. Now what to do with the third magnum sitting uneaten in the freezer???

Evelyn

Nice to see you here. It must be depressing not to lose weight for long periods of time. Well done on sticking to it. I think the change did you good.

10kg works out at 22lb. A really good amount of weight. We all lose at different speeds. Those who weigh more tend to lose weight faster. I would like to get down to a stone and half over my recommended weight, I may reassess when I get there. That still leaves me six and a half stone to lose. A big ask! I set targets of 1/2 a stone at once 7lb or about 3.5kg these are achievable, they may even take a few weeks to get there. In a year my target is 2.5 – 3 stone. So I will be here for a long time………

I have been overweight since childhood and 7 I have a photo of me normal size child by 10 really overweight. My parents divorce was in this period and very messy and long. I can remember going to school crying on many occasions so I put the weight gain down to emotional eating.

I think that this has carried on through my life.

I now feel in control. I hope it stays this way.

Lori

I am so pleased that you have been enjoying time with your sister, family is precious and you need to make the most of these times. I hope the weather cheers up for you.

Salma

Try weighing yourself tomorrow mine takes two days after fast days to show losses. I too have bought a cheap scale, glass top this time. I can’t get body fat percentage to work but scale is very accurate. My other scale is years old and the metal bends slightly I can get on it 4 times in a row and it will give me different readings. Up to 4 lb difference. I now weigh on both scales I am stil reluctant to let it go.

Milena

Keep your magnum for the weekend and have it as a treat for being good. Buy some desserts it yoghurts, low fat and sugar and freeze them. Shape do lots of these things at about 99 calories. Freeze them and then eat from frozen. Or good old sugar free jelly and half a youghurts. I get a bigger yoghurt and make it last three times, I pour it on like cream……..very nice.

I have to make another either today or tomorrow. I use different flavour for variety.

I know calorie content on the jelly is very low. 6 calories for 100gm.

Ginette

Get they behind me Ginette, leading me into temptation!!!!

Magnum will stsy there awhile, at least while MacDonalds do dairy milk MacFlurries! Better yet, hoping the galaxy ones make a return soon!

Not to keen on plain yoghurt, dont do low fat anything, but the jellies sound nice. Trying not to snack, except if the snack is in place of a meal. If I have a latte, will only have one meal, so domething with the latte won’t break the TDEE bank. Can just about manage a latte on fast days, but small and by itself. In fact only having small lattes now. A small achievement but doable for life. I only have half a shot of coffee in it, and dont drink coffee at home, though OH has a machine and is a dab hand at making them, its not something I have ever drunk at home.

Still need a push for a reasonable drop to the end of April. Feeling full of energy, amazing when I realise by tonight I will have had just about 3200 calories in five days. Yet a 1000 a day calorie restriction would have had me reaching for the biscuits by Wednessday. Maybe the difference is I can now eat 3200 over the weekend, and still be within TDEE for those two days – and well below for the week.

Starting to believe I can reach the 70s, and even the 60s, maybe even more – or rather less.

Travel hopefully

Hi Milena

Info from Mcdonalds site:

The ice cream in a McFlurry provides 260 kcal; Lion Bar pieces and sauce provide 138 kcal, Crunchie Pieces provide 66 kcal, Dairy Milk Chocolate Pieces provide 77 kcal, Smarties provide 68 kcal and Wispa Pieces and Wispa Sauce provide 148 kcal.

So mc flurry with chocolate 260 for nice cream + 77 calories for chocolate. 337 calories.

Magnum standard size 280

Eat what you fancy as long as you are aware of calories. These things are hard to estimate

Link to see some alternatives.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-132597/Ice-cream-keeps-slim.html

I don’t eat plain you hurt myself. I don’t like it apart from muller full fat one (the one in fruit corners). I add fruity flavours that complement.

Sorry to burst your bubble but as you know anything is allowed as long as it is within TDEE.

Ginette

Ah, but I only have half a McFlurry!! Happy to share, but with OH, but I don’t rate his chances if he tried to take a magnum off me.

MacDonalds are a bit further away than the corner shop, and they dont do them in packs of three.

Of course there are still the fries to avoid in MacDonalds but I’m not gonna be beaten by a chip.

You do know to take everything I say with a barrel of salt ?????

Hi All

Feedback time – bare naked noodles are fine no fishy Tate like the other brand of low carb noodles. They take on the flavour of whatever you put in with them. I cooked onion, garlic, peppers mushrooms and added half a jar I had left of chow mein sauce. I felt a needed to spice it up a bit so also added one of my favourites fahita spice the hot one. A really strange mix of tastes but suitably spicy for my taste. A whole packet was about right. I didn’t add anything else although I thought of adding chicken. The most calories was from the drop of olive oil I used to cook onions and peppers with. Feeling full up now but as they are about 20 calories a packet and a packet contains 0.2.5 grams of carbs in total. So no sugar rush.

It was really nice to eat something that resembled carbs at a main meal. I want to restrict it to maximum three meals a week with carbs and this week I haven’t had any bread either. Just wanted to see out of interest if it helps.

This week is much stricter due to the Easter egg and bar of chocolate all on one day. I have two more eggs to go. Official weigh in day is a day late as my fasts were as well.

I am out to my sons next week for a meal, so I am looking forward to that.

Back to exercising this week again now. All ok as I did the first day with 10 mins to test the water. I an now up to an hour 10 minutes hopefully to fining the week at an hour and a half. I got out an old game today Exerbeat. I remember really enjoying it, as you exercise it awards you medals and takes you around the world.

Worn out now though and having a nice cup of tea and a bit of telly. Washing up can wait……

How is everybody?

Ginette

Hiya..
    A non-fast day for me today. I got taken out by my son and his girlfriend (who I am meeting for the first time) to a Michelin star restaurant. The food was yummy.. two cocktails later and I am one happy bunny. I think all this was in my son’s plan to make sure I like his girlfriend. Everyone seems nicer through a haze of alcohol.

The meal was quite an experience.. and I am now ready for bed.
    The scales await.. and contrary to Ginette, I weigh the lowest after a fasting day. A couple of days after, the scales shoot up.

Magnums.. hmmm.. love them… especially in packs of three! Talking of barrels of salt.. the ice cream desert today had a bit of salt .. that really brought out the taste of the chocolate. Weird and wonderful. Milena, are you sure a tub of Ben and Jerry’s is not allowed.. even with a pinch of salt?

Lori, I hope you also had a truely wonderful meal and a great time with your sister and friends.

Ginette – your noodles sound nice, what are they actually made of? Is exerbeat played on the Wii? I would love to have a go.

Lori – hope your dinner out lived up to your expectations.

Salma – whatever the scales say don’t allow yourself to run out of steam. Enjoy your holiday, memories are made of this. Plenty of time to get right back on track when you get back home.

Evelyn – how right you are, we do eat too much food. 5:2 has helped me to see just how little I really need. However that rarely matches how much I really want. Well done for keeping at it!

Milena – A really low calorie week for you! Are we going for another liquids only day again next week? Keep on losing!

I can see a lot of calories heading my way today. A new bar is having a grand opening day, and there will be a free buffet. It’s a hard life 🙂

Good morning everybody and a good morning it is too.

Have just done the weekly weigh and in the last two weeks have dropped from 21st 1lb to 19st 13lbs, a loss of 1st 2lbs. This is the first time I have been below 20st in 20 years!

If anyone would like to follow in my footsteps, which I suspect you won’t as you all seem to be set in your ways stuffing away the carbohydrates like there was no tomorrow, I would recommend ‘Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It’ by Gary Taubes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0307474259?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Also ‘Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution’ by Dr Atkins, though it’s a bit thick and takes some getting through, or ‘The New Atkins Made Easy’ by Colette Heimowitz which is a bit easier.

Graham.

Well done Graham

As supportive as usual.

I don’t think any of us are stuffing ourselves with anything.

Most of us are aware that Atkins works as a diet, but not as a long term way of life for many.

Undermining what we are trying to do is not very constructive and not very supportive

This is a 5:2 forum, remember. To have someone carping at us that we are all doing it wrong, is to criticize 5:2 and to undermine us all.

We are not in a contest or a competition, we are seeking a sustainable way of eating to help our weightless and our health. Some of us are getting invaluable support on this forum. Some are lucky to have support in our own worlds, but not everyone. Some have detractors, especially as 5:2 involves both fasting, and normal eating. So to have someone doing the same thing on the forum is unfair. So get off your high horse and think about your comments.

Doing 5:2 without carbs is a personal choice, it doesn’t make that choice better, just much more restrictive.

Oh, Salma, of course Ben and Jerry’s is allowed, I was just concerned that in my alternative 5:2 it might be abused. Just keep it in your TDEE, and if you find yourselves unable to put down these gorgeous guys, just get a wee tub. Restraint is the key word.

Business thought: ice cream flavoured men, what a winner for Lynx if they brought out ice cream flavoured aftershave?? Well, at least until they can clone Aiden Turner.

The weekend is here, usually just another working day, but having a day off and doing a spring clean, read somewhere it’s as good as a workout, so may as well get fit and have a clean house. Washed the cushion covers off the setters last night, fair whacked just pulling the things off, thankfully OH wrestled them back on.

Have a great weekend

Hi Applepie

Definitely, though thinking of just 5:2 this week, I don’t want to feel this WOE is a chore – might think again after the weekend though, but not doing anything special so may be ok.

Considering both fast days liquid, saves trying to balance my 393 calories. Hardest thing seems to be drinking enough water.

Milena – you are right, it is difficult to drink enough water. I try to make it seem less like water by having some herbal teas, some hot ginger, whatever works.

My OH wants us to do a liquids only day tomorrow as he feels gloggy (is that even a word? spellcheck doesn’t think so) he has a lot of digestion / throat problems. He is not doing 5:2 to lose weight, just for the health benefits. He has lost weight anyway, it is hard not to in this marvellous new WOL.

Have a great Saturday!

Hi Applepie

On a Sunday, unknown territory for me, but will kick the week off. Soooo looking forward to the day this is for health only.

Though get the throat checked, my stepfather had a similar problem, got worse over time.

I know … Sunday? Is that officially part of this week or next? Every day is like a Sunday for us here so it is doable. Then when I get weighed on Monday it won’t be my true weight. Ahh well.

One thing is for sure. You never, ever, wake up the morning after a fast regretting it.

Happy fasting fellow fasters!

BTW OH’s throat has been checked …. a lot.

Good Morning!

Graham..I’m very happy that you’re having success with your weight loss plan. I have read both of those books and they are very interesting and present a good WOL, if that is your choice. What’s right for one is not right for all. As Milena said, I don’t think any of us are stuffing ourselves with carbs, some of us choose to incorporate all food groups into our plan. To each his/her own.

Sis and I had a good day yesterday, but the weather did not cooperate! It was rainy, cold and damp most of the day. Hoping today is a bit better. Sun is up and it’s looking good right now.

Tomorrow morning I’m off for the golf course about 10AM and after the tournament I’ll be home and we’re going to cook some burgers on the grill for dinner. It’s nice to have a long weekend of activities!

Have a good day!

Hi Apple pie

Yes it is a Wii exercise. I used to do it a lot and it was addictive. It unlocks new games as you go. I think that there are 8 different categories in all and 155 exercises – so enough not to get bored.

Link from game reviewer

http://diehardgamefan.com/2011/05/27/review-exerbeat-nintendo-wii/

I gave looked up current price and it is 17.99 on eBay on Amazon new it is very expensive £29.99 but under used on Amazon it is £16 something. This is fulfilled by Amazon and I know they send things to Spain. It has lots of in depth reviews on Amazon as well. I often buy things from the used section from CDs to books. They always say what condition they are in so you can choose.

Link to Amazon reviews

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004SFGH32/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints

I am not sure what they are made of but if you look up bare naked noodles the creators website will come up. I think it is on there.

How true I never look back and regret a fast day, but I do look forward to one. Also weekends I enjoy. I wouldn’t do a fast day at the weekends.

Graham

Well done on your loss but as Milena says this is not the place to try and talk people into another kind of losing weight. I would really call that a diet as this one is really a WOL. I know people who have done brilliantly on Atkins, sadly most of them have put it back on over a period of time as they had stopped. Personally I try to cut carbs down but not out. I have just had a nice seeded bread with cheese on, a real treat for me and one that I don’t want to forgo.

I know you are evangelistic at the moment and I feel that way about 5:2 although I know I would bore people if I kept on about it. Maybe try and find a forum for this diet and still pop in here to say hello but not criticise.

Hi Salma

What a lovely treat with your son, did you like his girlfriend? The restaurant sounded lovely.

Hi Milena

I haven yet watched Poldark I have the whole series recorded though. I will get around to watching it. Ice cream flavoured men…..mmmm

I think I will stick with just ice cream as men are too troublesome, not all of them granted but the ones I have known have always turned out this way. I know men are always complaining that women like to change them but I have found the opposite to be true with no give and take. Only my experience. I am sure many of you are happily married and have very supportive husbands.

Wouldn’t a liquid day do. Not just water. My tea gets me through most of the fast days, there is also Bovril and herbal teas. I would think that some chicken noodle soup would be good as well. 156 calories for 400 gms Heinz 126 a tin. It would give you something to look forward to in the evening as well. Good and counted Asda is 43 calories a sachet. I might even get some myself.

Hi Lori

Glad the weather looks better. I am watching the Masters Highlights at the moments. Just to see the golf courses I play on the Wii and what they are like in real life.

Enjoy the weekend all

Ginette

Excuse me dropping in on your thread all, but something is bothering me and have to get it off my chest ( which is now 1″ smaller after starting 5:2 in January. ) I tend to read recent posts daily as I get so much from everyone’s input and your support and ideas is tremendous.
    However FatGraham – I do find your posts condescending and unhelpful. It seems that you started 5:2 about the same time as me, and during that time you have lurched from one diet to the next, not giving any one of them any time to work. During that time you seem to have thrown away a mountain of good food and then profess to know all there is to know about dieting. Do yourself (and your support network) a favour, if you are going to give 5:2 a chance to work its magic, then do it. If Atkins is for you then direct your comments to Atkins forum (if there is one) and give us all a break. You will get all the help and support you need from this forum if you open your mind, and really give it a chance. Congratulations on your weight loss, I do hope for your sake it doesn’t pile on again.
    I apologise to all for the rant, but after waking up with this on my mind, decided I had to deal with it.

Third time lucky

You are very welcome to join our thread are you a man or a woman out of interest? How have you done so far. I too started in January but not until tge second week.

There are some really supportive people on here. Come and join us.

Ginette

Glad you dropped in Third Time. Your comments are spot on. Please feel free to pop in anytime…any and all are welcome!

Welcome TTL! I have read your profile, I don’t think enough people use them, you can put a lot of info on there … hint, hint haha. Good comments.

Ginette what a lovely person you are, thank you for all the info, you have gone to a lot of trouble for me.

We have just been cutting back our lemon tree, it’s absolutely covered in blossom, come November we will have millions of lemons, alright I am exaggerating but you catch my drift.

Hi TTL

Took Applepies comment and looked at your profile. Ok I now know you are a woman.

We have nearly all been there with the other diet plans and then left and put it back on. I have to say it seems to go on a lot quicker than it comes off. Probably just my imagination!

Applepie

You are welcome all these things help to keep us on track. How lovely to have lemons to pick. That means you will be able to grow oranges and probably peaches as well I suppose. My big surprise some years ago was tasting a fresh fig. I was very reluctant but they are delicious – I was comparing to those horrible dry Christmas ones……..no comparison.

As you see on Amazon there are lots of positive things said about Exerbeat.

Need to have 20 mins to meet my current target of 90 minutes. I may also do 10 minutes on Wii fit. I don’t exercise until later in the day as it is too warm here now. Exerbeat makes me out of breath (only because I chose those type of exercises) I have to feel as if I had had a workout.

Ginette

Ginette, our garden isn’t that big. But our next door neighbour has an orange tree, we get lovely sweet oranges from them in exchange for our lemons. We also have a kumquat and mandarin tree, they don’t take up much room. Yes we are very lucky.
    Exerbeat sounds great but I feel I should do more on Fit Plus before I buy anything else. It will soon be too hot to do more than just jump in the pool.

We are off to this new bar opening soon, looking forward to the buffet!

Hi thirdtime, welcome.

Thank you for you comment, very supportive and I do like straight talking!!

Just been to Aldi and got a couple of bottles of wine, means I can cyber chum Appliepie this evening.

Actually not reason for mentioning Aldi, they have running shoes and fit bits – not that brsnd but does the same thing. Though lass at checkkout suggested I try the sketchers in the outlet centre. Have been thinking of getting a fitbit – and shoes, anyone got one -fitbit that is!!!

Hands up all those chortling at the thought of me querying exercise stuff. I think Im often in touch with my masculine side, Im a bit of a gadget person – though still haven’t worked out how my three button pedometer works!!

Applepie – pool? How lovely!

Applepie

Nice to think that you have a pool. I really did start just with Wii fit and then as I had completed most of the exercises and unlocked all levels of the ones I enjoyed (apart from the bike one I think) I then moved on to try other games. It did take me a few months to move on to other things as I really enjoyed Wii fit. After many repeats though it is nice to do something else. I still went back to Wii fit occasionally but did most time on Exerbeat.

What I found useful is I could do a 7 – 15 minute exercise on here, I have even done a 25 minute one, but preferred to break this down into 2 different exercises. I always used to do more at the weekend than during the week. When I was working I would sometimes start the day with a jog on Wii fit and then after work when I put the dinner on low I would do Exerbeat. This was the same about three times a week.

Have a lovely evening out.

Hi Milena

Fit bits sound really good but I thought they were quite expensive. I love gadgets and tools. I have asked for tools as presents before.

Glad to see you are enjoying your weekend.

I am mulling over what to have for dinner. Nice gammon steak I think with potatoe wedges and beans. I like to have something really different on Saturdays and have eating so many vegetables this week I can do with a day off.

Ginette

Hi All

I am currently expermenting with salad dressings as the weather had changed. I make my own with french mustard, red wine vinegar and a dash of salt and pepper. I am going to try a variation of that recipe that I found on the Internet.

2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil

6 dashes of red wine vinegar

1/2 lemon (juice)

2-3 dashes of Italian seasoning

2-3 dashes of garlic salt

I make mine up and put it in a bottle so I have it for a while. My uncle and mother used to make one similar to the one above but without lemon juice and herbs.

Maybe nice to share recipes.

Ginette

Hi everyone. I’m new to this forum. I have just started on the 5.2 eating programme 2 weeks ago. I feel more alert and been getting through the days well without feeling tired, but first couple of fast days I was irritable and snappy. I feel better in myself, but, as of yet, I have not lost no weight. I have been reading the posts on here and am really impressed with the results.
    As I am in the same age range, just turned mid fifties. I am hoping its going to be successful for me also. I have been battling with weight gain and whatever I try, doesn’t seem to work. Even the ones that were successful for me in the past, like the Atkins Diet and Meal replacement shakes are not working for me.
    I am at my heaviest now I have ever been. I am 5′ 3” and always been hovering around 9st (56/7Kgs) give or take a pound or two. I am now turned 11 stone at 71Kgs.
    I have taken on more exercise and doing alternate day morning walks and evening stretching and workout movements. I am waiting to see if this has been working for me.
    I would love to get back to how I was, and reading this forum, together with dedication, I can, hopefully get there.
    I feel that with communicating with you on this forum, we can work this together and give support where needed.
    Take care and talk soon.

Hi Jane

Lovely to see you here. Some people struggle when they start. I did for the fist couple of fast days, then they got easier.

I have only lost half a pound this week but I do know I always suffer with water retention in the warmer weather and if you are in England this can be a factor.

Have you worked out your TDEE this is the amout you need to be below to lose weight. I worked mine out and then took 200 calories off. This was for two reasons I didn’t want to count calories every day was the first and in case I underestimated this would solve the problem. Also on other sites for example the NHS site the amount I was allowed was lower than this site.

On fast days I religiously calculate and weigh and measure everything. I also have 5/6 cups of tea during the day so I take this into account. I allow for six. I only eat in the evening as as long as I have the tea and keep busy this is best for me. Sometimes eating triggers my hunger. I don’t eat breakfast although on past diets I forced myself to eat something.

I still have about 7 stone to go and have lost 16lb on this since the second week in January. I have started exercising now as I slowed to 1lb a week and I was concerned that I might slow even further.

When you have more to lose it is usually quicker at first, I can understand your disappointment when you read that other people have lost. Stick with it, it will work. A lot of people miscalculate calories at first. I did calorie count for the first couple of weeks. My fitness pal has an app that is good for recording what you have eaten and registering weight loss.

You need to measure as well I measured waist, hips, bust, arms, upper legs and calfs. I measured agin yesterday after a few week and had lost inches everywhere apart from my arms where I gained some. I have been doing cardio boxing but still found it strange. I found that clothes were getting looser and some things which were too tight for me to wear last year now fit me. I lost a stone from last May to January and then started 5:2 so I do notice the difference. I wear skirts and they are getting longer, far too overweight to get into trousers as I have big legs but will get there again one day.

This is a very active thread with lots of nice people on it. I am also on ladies of a certain age which I like as well. If you click on the persons name you can read their profile. It normally lets you know when they started and a little bit about themselves.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Ginette

Hi Graham,

I’m a regular on the maintenance chatbox and join jojo threads, both of which you’ve dropped in to. I just wanted to say congratulations on the weight loss. I think you struggled to get it moving initially? So it’s fantastic to see that you’ve now hit on a regime that works for you.

I didn’t follow Atkins, but when I began 5:2 I did cut out refined white carbs and sugars. It sort of happened naturally. It made fast days much easier if I avoided refined carbs the night before and on the day itself, and as a result I soon found I lost cravings for carbs and sweet ‘treats’. I can now happily say no to cakes/ chocolate/ puddings, not because I think I ought not to eat them but because they don’t appeal. I find them mostly far too sweet now and tend to crave savoury foods instead. I’ve got to say, it’s great to have lost my sweet tooth and not be a slave to sugar and carb cravings anymore!

Also, 5:2 has brought me to a realisation/ understanding of how little food I actually need to sustain my weight, and I really can’t afford to be eating a lot of calories that don’t have any nutritional benefit.

I’ve been below my goal weight now for a year, and do now eat refined carbs (weekends mostly, but in smaller portions than previously) and do eat sweet ‘things’ occasionally (I hesitate to call them ‘treats’ because, obviously depending on what it is, a massive sugar hit really isn’t a treat for my body anymore!).

I know some of the ladies here have said they’ve lost weight with Atkins, but couldn’t sustain it and regained the weight. I guess the challenge for you will be devising a maintenance plan/ plan B. For me, 5:2 (now 6:1) and reduced refined carbs/ sugars seems to work.

Good luck with continued weight loss.

hi Janecatlover

I think thats three Jane/Jaynes now so will keep with catlover. Welcome and from your handle (well, we are mid fifties so most of us should remember when cbs were the eighties equivalent of mobile phones snd we all had ‘handles’) you are my kind of gal! im a bit cat mad, used to breed burmese, just one of the little blighters left, and she’s definitely shaky.

Dont get despondent, took me three weeks to get going, did well for a few weeks, and not finding it easy at the moment, doing it all correctly, but reckon I’m just hitching my skirts for a good drop in weight very soon. Ever the optimist!!!

Im the same height but more to lose, we all have different amounts. How much doesn’t matter, equally difficult to shift for all of us and equally rewarding to get to our goals.

Salma started this thread as per our title, and also for FA – foodies anonymous -thus ensuring an enjoyable journey, especially nice cos some of us will be here a while.

Was reading today that wine is good for you, had my fizz with snacks, olives and nuts, and my guest brought a box of chocs, which was fun as they were gourmet centres, but with no card to tell us what was inside, we all had two each, very constrained as they are very wee chocs.

Managed breakfast, coffee, dinner, wine, snacks and chocs (separate snack bowls, counted grams out and counted them back in – sounds a bit like the aircraft in the falklands war) and total calories come to 1577 – 16 cals under TDEE! Amazing. And our second bottle unopened.

I expect everyone to be impressed by that last sentence – I am!!!

Appliepie, hope your night at the bar was good, lots of wine I hope to give you a good start on your liquid fast tomorrow, decided to do mine on Thursday. Hope it goes well!

Everyone else, have a good day, especially if your fasting, I’ll be joining the Monday and Thursday fadters this week.

Travel hopefully

Hi Happynow

Welcome. Great post. So interesting, great to hear from one of the maintenance folk. I stopped eating rice and pasta from day one, not from any idea of reducing carbs, but I suppose it was instinctive, potatoes soon followed suit, though I dont see them at all as ‘never’ foods. White bread as well, I even got OH to buy a loaf for a change from seeded, but I only managed half a slice in the end.

Now red meat is off the menu, eating fish 5 days a week. Used to be once. Refined sugar way down, dislike tea without my half a spoonful, so drinking one cup a day. Still eating bread though, usually a slice a day, seeded, rye or wholegrain, eating cereals, especially porridge. Every type of veg going exept sprouts!!

Interesting that these are not planned choices, I dont have an issue with carbs or fillet steak or pasta or mutton. So I presume this benefit of 5:2 is, because we have to get extra benefit out of fast-day calories, that thinking falls over into other days. Which is why lots of days, not just fast days, are fish and salad. And even treats change, because one or two chocs is sufficient, the rest CAN be put away for another time. I still have treats, but far fewer, and not daily, no puddings, very rarely cakes and biscuits, dramatic drop in wine consumption, though def not teetotal, and rarely sweets with coffee, though still lattes.

Be interesting to see if this continues.

Id be interested to know if your choice to cut carbs was a conscious decision, or if, like me, you got there almost by accident.

Hi Happynow.

My plan is to do Atkins until I get down to my target weight of about 12st and then do 6:1 with a lean towards Atkins but including all vegetables, whether they grow above or below ground, and also potatoes with my evening meals. Though no processed foods or anything with added sugar.

Hi everybody else.

The ‘stuffing yourselves with carbs’ remarks that punctuate my posts from time to time are mainly due to my very dry sense of humour and me having a bit of fun winding you all up, ha, ha, ha. Lifelong bachelor you see, not had anyone to slap me down when I get out of line. You’ll just have to put up with it, I’m afraid.

Graham.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.