Very quick and easy fast day meals

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Recipes
Very quick and easy fast day meals

This topic contains 40 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  akanta 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)

• Hi. So I’m starting my first official fast day on Tuesday. After a trial run on Yesterday. My question is. What are the best very quick easy meals to make on a fast day?? I don’t fancy having to spend time cooking for my other half and kids whilst hungry, then having to spend extra time prepping my own food??
    Also any tips on not picking whilst cooking for others??

Thanks.

Hi Angela
    For my dinner I have a small tin of baked beans (159 Kcal) and a lean Grilled chicken breast (140 Kcals) total approx. 300 K Caks. Total time approx. 5-10 minutes and it can be done while you get kids meal ready!

Best of Luck
    David

I always do cereal for my meal these days and have done for more than 2 years on the fastdiet. Prior to that I used to portion off whatever I cooked on weekends into 500kcal portions (most of my favourite meals are weightwatchers recipes that break down to 500-600kcal per portion anyway) and use them as quick freezer meals on fastdays or if I’d had poridge or something during the day I’d have a tin (or portion of my own recipe) of low calorie soup and a small roll.

There’s no reason you couldn’t eat the same as your family do on fastdays. If you save all of your allowance for that one meal and calorie count your portion then you can eat with them.

I don’t think you should have to cook two different meals. If you are doing the cooking, prepare the same meal, but to your requirements, not theirs. Then for the non-fasters just allocate more of the same. Add more veg, or even just cook an additional dish like boiled potatoes (skin on). I always cook the same thing for me and hubby on fast days. He isn’t allowed to fast, but he does benefit greatly from have healthy meals, too. I often just give him a bit more of the same.

Breakfasts are separate, although we do eat together. He has what he wants and I have a couple of boiled eggs and a slice of ham, or a two egg omlette with 25g smoked salmon, or a two egg omlette with a slice of smoked ham. (all about 225 cal) No fat, use a non-stick pan. The strong flavours of the ham or salmon really add to the dish, and I don’t miss the fat at all.

For dinner, before cooking I drink a large glass of water. This seems to help quell any hunger for the short term.

Then, I’ll often cook a stirfry with prawns, sliced chicken breast, lean steak, or even sliced pork fillet. I buy ready prepared stirfry veg packs from the supermarket, as you get a great variety of veg. Each pack serves two and comes in at about 160 cal(so 80 cal each) if cooked according to instructions on the pack (i.e. add 2 tsp oil and stirfry). I’ll add some garlic, chilli, soy sauce, and rice wine, and maybe a tsp sesame oil for flavour. We split it, and I also serve hubby some microwave rice (not the best but quick for fast days). If I use 100g prawns each, the whole thing comes to about 250 cal without the rice. It only takes about 10 minutes to cook, and there is very little chopping to do. I also eat with chop sticks to add to the fun.

Other things are baked or grilled chicken breast or fish with steamed veg. You can add lots of low cal flavour like ginger, garlic, or herbs.

The key is to eat things that are enjoyable and keep you feeling fuller longer. So, have a reasonable amount of protein, and lots and lots of veg. Avoid fat (use spray oil and non-stick pans). Also ditch the simple carbs, like rice, pasta, bread, and potatoes (they’ll quickly use up your calories and you’ll feel hungry quicker). Use low cal stuff like garlic, chilli, ginger, herbs and spices for added zing.

Miso soup is vegan friendly, quick, easy, satisfying. I bring a 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil along with a sliced mushroom and a few cubes of tofu. Turn off the heat and then add a tablespoon of miso and a finely sliced spring onion. Done. Personally I like to add a little grated ginger and garlic. This probably amounts to about 50 calories max but as I said, very satisfying, and by the way very good for your digestion because of the fermented soy beans.

I make a larger portion of a meal the night before and save small part for the fast day dinner. Normally I eat it with shredded iceberg lettuce with a squeeze of lemon juice or wilted spinach.

I’ve done this with casseroles and curries to great effect.

Today was a fast day and tonight I have made chicken Chow Mien, absolutely gorgeous, I’ve made it the same way as I usually do with Chinese 5 spice, light soy sauce, mushrooms, spring onions and I used chicken breast fillet. The only difference was I substituted egg noodles for Bare Naked Noodles. I just added these noodles to the pan after I’d cooked everything else and they soaked up flavours. they sell them in Morrison’s, they are low 0.1g carbohydrate per 100g, zero fat, low calories 8 I think, gluten free, sugar free. I saw these on Dragons Den and their website says they can be cut up small to be like rice. It was a very filling meal and tbh I thought I’d eaten too much but I’m actually under the 500 calories and I even had eggs for breakfast. Has anyone else tried these?

Hello thank you for tor tip on barenaked noodles. I found them in Morrison’s and I had the whole packet which was 32 calories and I used 100 g of cooked chicken 165 calories then I used garlic clove. Red onion. Half red pepper. 1 carrot and light soya sauce. 1 oxo cube. Ginger. It really filled me up and was very tasty and all under my 500 calories. Thank you again I will definately be cooking this again on my fast days

Hello Ibiza, I’m so pleased you enjoyed them. Shhhhhhhh we should keep quiet because everyone will be wanting them and Morrisons will sell out lol! Tonight I had home made tomato sauce with grilled Venison meatballs with the whole packet of Bare naked noodles, it was absolutely gorgeous.

HI I HAVENT HEARD OF THESE NOODLES BUT THEY SOUND GREAT WILL GO TO MORRISONS TO GET SOME, BEEN ON A WEIGHT PLATEAU FOR 2 WEEKS NOW AND EVEN THOUGH MY CALORIES INTAKE IS CORRECT AND I NOW EXERCISE DOING PILATES 2 X ZUMBA CLASSES PLUS AN INSANITY CLASS PLUS AN HOUR AT WEEKEND ON TREADMILL STILL SCALES WONT MOVE SO WILLING TO TRY ANYTHING NEW

Thanks for the tip. I had a look online and Holland and Barratt sell them too. They may have buy one get one half price offer on at the moment. I am going to get some tomorrow!

Yes Shona62, Holland and Barrett and Morrisons seem to be the only ones selling Bare naked Noodles at the moment….I hope they don’t sell out as I wouldn’t know what to make…….I will keep a look out for buy one get one half price. They are £1.99 in Mortisons

Dear Clevertess, do you think your muscle tone is changing? With all your super exercising, could it mean a weight gain in muscle? So, if you have lost weight you may have gained it in muscle……..just a thought, you are probably doing so much better than you think……You sound as fit as a fiddle, so much fitter than me

Angel.k.1980
    Just try bare naked noodles with whatever meal you cook for your family. I like chicken chow mien, so instead of egg noodles my plate is made with bare naked noodles instead of egg noodles. For venison meatballs I have my noodles and my hubby and kids have spaghetti. I’m going to cut up my noodles small on Monday so I can use them instead of rice when I make my family chilli and rice. I’m not depriving myself of food, it just so happens that bare naked noodle has minimum carbs in them so I’m a happy lady as these noodles soak up all the flavours of the dish I’m making and I feel full.

Cauliflower rice is a great low calorie accompaniment to lots of meals. You can get the recipe, plus lots of other low calorie ideas from http://caloriecountedcurries.com/5-2-meals.

https://www.barenakedfoods.co.uk/

amazing noodles I order straight from website

Hello Twigglet, I found its cheaper to buy in Morrisons as they are only £1.99 whereas a pack of 10 is £24.50. Someone else said to keep a look out in Holland & Barrett for their buy 1 get 1 half price deals.

I find the easiest fast day meals are soup and eggs! So I usually have vegetable soup for lunch, then an omelette for dinner. For my other half, I just serve chips with his omelette, whereas I have salad! I usually try and fast until lunchtime but today I thought I would try having a boiled egg for breakfast (78 calories), soup for lunch (84 calories plus a Ryvita cracker (44 calories), then steamed fish parcel for dinner (with spring onions, ginger, red chilli, soy sauce).

Chicken or prawn stir fry is also a good option, you can use lots of low calorie veg. I also love the thai prawn curry recipe on here: http://www.52recipes.co.uk/ I just give my partner some rice with his!

Hi
    I would love the get my hands on those NOODLES we live in France and i don’t think i will be able to get them here , i love noodles and pasta and miss having it on my 2 fast day , i make them for my husband but i just have the veg .
    I say to myself well it is only 2 days !!! you have it other days Ha !!

Hello chrijaz check out their website http://www.barenakedfoods.co.uk and ask if they deliver to France. Or Holland and Barrett may deliver too. They are only 20 calories for a full bag they just need a good rinse in fresh water and drained, heated in a dry pan and then add sauce. I use them instead of spaghetti and egg noodles. Apparently they can be cut up into rice size pieces to replace rice, I need to try this with chilli. This is my 9th week and I look forward to my fasting days. I have Bolognese portions frozen so I always have something ready for a fast day to go with my noodles.
    Thank you SarahJane23 for your advice I will have a look at those recipes.

I have been doing 5:2 for over two years, with a few breaks for holidays, or when I have cold or flu. When I get to my goal weight I go 6:1, then go back to 5:2 if a few pounds sneak on. I now find it easy to do, by having 2 very small meals at breakfast and lunch, with a bigger meal in the evening. Breakfast is porridge (30g dry porridge oats made with water, with 30g banana and 50ml almond milk150 cals) miso soup at lunch (50 cals) then either a heap of steamed veg with 100g chicken, or prawns and a tablespoon of rice or half a nest of instant noodles, flavoured with garlic, ginger, chilli , soy sauce, or a spicy lentil soup. Here is lentil soup recipe. I use a little oil to get flavour from the garlic and onion, you can leave it out but I think it is worth the extra 40 cals! This makes a large bowl of filling chunky soup.

Spicy Lentil Soup, 300 calories
    Soften half an onion, one garlic clove and a knob of fresh garlic , all finely chopped, in a teaspoon of olive oil. Add a level teaspoon of garam masala, a sprinkling of dry chilli flakes, ground cumin, ground coriander. Cook briefly in oil then add half pint of vegetable stock, (I use 1/3 a Knorr gel stockpot), 30g dry red lentils, and a cup or chopped vegetables: celery, carrot, courgette, pepper etc, and a heaped teaspoon tomato purée. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until lentils are soft, stirring occasionally. You can add a little extra water if necessary.

I love your recipes NickyB thank you. You’re an expert after 2 years. I hope to continue the 5:2 or 6:1 diet. I started the fasting diet to change my inherited cholesterol, I should know in a few days if this diet has helped….fingers crossed.

Hi ,

Thanks for your info , i have sent them an email see how much it is to post to France , usually it is quite expensive for items sent here .
    I will have to have a good look in our supermarkets now to see if any have cropped up .
    Although i think not .Still you never know !.
    Christina

Chrijaz, I have had a look on French Amazon and they sell them on there. The one I use has a pink and white packet. There is a variety on Amazon incl rice which aren’t on sale in Morrison’s so just read their calorie content etc and you’re sorted.

Hi All

I found this thread very interesting and have passed the comments on about Bare Naked Noodles. I tried them myself the other day and thought they were really enjoyable after a trial pack I shall buy a few more. Next time I shall use them with Asda low calorie pesto sauce and grated Parmesan. As the ingredients are so high in calories apart from the noodles I shall have them on a non fasting day

I do have a variation of fish in butter sauce (frozen and defrosted) and vegatable. The fish is only 108 calories and I only have to cook the vegetable which I defrost overnight. I don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen on a fast day so this works well for me. I can put it all in one saucepan and the sauce over tge vegetables is lovely.

The other meal I have often is spicy chicken breast cooked in microwave and vegetables I weigh it all out so on a fast day I don’t have to think about it.

I am currently expermenting with salad dressings as the weather had changed. I make my own with french mustard, red wine vinegar and a dash of salt and pepper. I am going to try a variation of that recipe that I found on the Internet.

2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil

6 dashes of red wine vinegar

1/2 lemon (juice)

2-3 dashes of Italian seasoning

2-3 dashes of garlic salt

I make mine up and put it in a bottle so I have it for a while. My uncle and mother used to make one similar to the one above but without lemon juice and herbs.

Ginette

I have just started and made it through my first fast day! Yippee. I have found this tread so helpful as have been struggling to be inspired for my meals. You have made it sound so much easier and I can’t wait to try the noodles. I’m just over in Australia for a few weeks so may struggle to find them but will be in to Morrions when I get back!

Thanks everyone for the great tips.

Ags

Hi Clevertess,

I used to run diet classes for the clinically obese; I saw hundred of people. One thing I quickly realised was that if people weren’t drinking enough water they could easily plateau. Additionally, if they were near a period, of course, they either plateaued or gained weight. Most surprising to me though was that if they were going down with an infection then the same thing happened and continued while they were on antibiotics. It was so obvious that I started to predict infection in the end and I was usually right.

The good thing was though, if they stuck to the diet through these tough periods then when the problem subsided and /or they increased their water intake they’d lose the right amount of weight in one fell swoop. That is, if they were losing 3lb a week and plateaued for 3 weeks, they would lose 9lb when the problem went away. It’s so easy to get discouraged when you are doing the right things but aren’t seeing the benefits.

Apparently, when we don’t drink enough water the liver is compromised as it has to help the kidneys remove toxins from the body. As fat metabolism happens in the liver it stands to reason that weight loss will be impacted. So don’t forget your one and a half to two litres a day and probably more if you are drinking diuretic drinks containing caffeine. It’s a fine balance though as drinking too much can upset the electrolyte system. I think that’s why guidelines are important.

Oops sorry folks. Don’t know how I did this but put the post in the wrong area. Now where was I??????

I like to bake my food in foil on diet days. You can make protein and veggie packets that you season and bake in under 20 minutes and they taste great because everything cooks together. When I make for my husband I might drizzle oil or sprinkle cheese over his to make it more exciting. Serve packets by themselves or over mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, noodles, rice, quinoa etc.

The other day I baked salmon in the oven and cooked and mashed potatoes. I flaked the salmon and mixed with potatoes, onion, garlic, parsley and salt and pepper. Formed them into cakes and sprayed a baking sheet with cooking spray and baked them, flipping once, until golden. I served them with a spicy dill yogurt and a salad dressed with lemon juice. It was one of my favorite diet day meals ever. Each salmon cake came out to about 79 cals each. Easy and delicious. I hope this helps

Well That was Day 1!
    Opted to fast until dinner time so didn’t eat until 6.30pm! And could use the full 500 calories! Pleasantly surprised thought might get a headache and it would be difficult and it wasn’t!Throughout the day drank water with dash of lemon or lime or both! And a couple of black coffees.
    Cooked the Super fast Thai Green Chicken Curry, with Petit pois, green beans and spinach -was very tasty but more like a soup than a curry! Perhaps it was the way I did it but followed the recipe! (page 198 – from the 5:2 revised and updated edition!).
    Left me with enough calories left for a few strawberries, peach slices and apple with a tablespoon of greek yoghurt!This does seem very doable…great to read how others are faring, its helpful and encouraging. Thank you.

Not advertising but some supermarkets do proper soup for 200 K cal as in a plastic carton not a tin. It fills the soup bowl nicely to the brim. One supermarket also does a fresh spiced chicken and mango salad for 131 K cal if you add slices of apple, beetroot and tomatoes and add a packet of coleslaw mix you can chomp away like a demented rabbit and still be under your fast day limit. When you see it piled on your plate you do wonder if it is correct but it is! One thing I try and last as long as possible before eating and then have the soup followed shortly by the salad. It works for me. Keep it up.

I have made this recipe for a long time and never realized it was super low carb (and the easiest dinner ever). i dont even measure anything. you just mix together:

mayo
    parmesan cheese
    chopped garlic
    oregano (i use a lot)

spoon it over chicken breasts in a dish. cook at 350 for about….40 minutes maybe. if its browning too quickly cover it with foil.

it has a great flavor. i make it for guests and they always think i went to too much trouble. little do they know its even easier than ordering out.
    Another recipes I usually use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuk45xV6RnM

Might sound awful but it has become one of favourite fast-day meals. I make this for 2 people but it has so little calories it can be eaten by 1 (if not eaten much at other times)

– Oven-roast one yellow pepper (cut in half) with some fry light spray. Cut-side down 10-12min at 180C.
    – Meanwhile cook about 90g quinoa in light stock.
    – Add a lot of parsley and squeeze of lemon at the end. Sometimes I add one spring onion to it.
    – Put quinoa mix in the yellow pepper and serve.

Usually I have a bit of salad next to it or grilled gem lettuce.

One of my favourite fast day meals is 300g spiralized courgette with 10-15g peanut butter, generous squeeze of lime, tablespoon of chilli sauce (I use linghams chilli sauce as it is pretty sweet)and soy sauce. Mix everything apart from the courgettes and add about a mug full of water and a quarter teaspoon of cornflour. Cook all the ingredients until the courgettes are the consistency you like – I like them well cooked so they are soft like noodles – and the sauce has thickened. Works out at about 200 calories.

Meant to add that many UK supermarkets sell spiralized courgettes if you don’t have a spiralizer.

Nydg, that sounds delicious!

Thanks K-Lo it’s pretty tasty and has kept me going on fast days for a few weeks now. I bought some bare naked noodles yesterday after reading about them on here and may try the same sauce with them but with a lot less water.

Here in New Zealand I buy from any of the Asian supermarkets the noodles known as Konjac noodles or Yam same as bare noodles but much much cheaper which I use under a stirfry or with tomato pasta sauce and Parmesan cheese very filling very yum just ensure they are rinsed well and bring to the boil for two minuets
    Enjoy

I usually do canned soup ranging between 76 cals (weightwatchers) and 200 cals (big soup). dinner sometimes corgetti with chicken, or there’s a lot of healthy ready meals out there sub 300 cals. found as well this pack of 12 chicken satay sticks you can get in sainsburys. 17 cals each, so can snack on them!

I bought the 5 2 veggie cookbook for 1 and use the recipes not just on fast days but non fast days as well, recipes are for 100 200 and 300 calorie dishes they take a short time to prepare and cook and taste so good.

hi chrijaz.
    I think the article http://www.dietfoci.com/10-low-fat-foods-that-are-actually-bad-for-you may be helpful to you.

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply.