Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 5,077 total)

• Hello Foodaholics Anonymous, one and all..

Welcome Jane-Catlover, ThirdTimeLucky and Happy Now.. How nice that you have dropped in and joined our group.

Ginette, I quite like the girlfriend. After a morning at the art museum, she and I spent the afternoon grocery shopping and cooking (she wanted me to teach her how to make some dishes). We made fresh tortellinis stuffed with onions, mushrooms & walnuts, cooked in a yoghurt sauce, and a fish dish with cumin, onions, coriander and turmeric. It all turned out very nicely. His majesty did not lift a finger under the excuse of having to finish some work .. I am not impressed.. I think I like his girlfriend better than my son at the moment. She is half Japanese half American and quite a lovely girl, nice looking and more importantly a nice person.

After all that cooking, I did not feel like eating much and ended up having only a small portion for dinner and a glass of wine. Scrambled eggs for breakfast and a cafe latte was all I had otherwise, so feeling quite virtuous. My son’s scales are kinder than mine, so I might stick around for a while. Not sure the girlfriend will approve much though.

Milena, I have a fit bit .. I was given it for my birthday (now there’s a not so subtle hint!) and really like it. It is so convenient and automatically synchronizes with my iphone letting me know how many steps I made and how many calories burned. I don’t have to press any buttons or fiddle with anything, it just does it automatically. I like that it works in the backgound. All your talk of exercising and exercise gadgets is very promising 🙂 AND I am totally amazed by your sentence (although I am not sure whether you meant the unopened second bottle of wine or all that great food coming in under TDEE – I am guessing the unopened bottle? Yes very very impressive 🙂 )

FatGraham, I did wonder whether your rant-like comments were just your way of joking, but I still feel that perhaps it was a bit heavy handed. Being a lifelong bachelor is no excuse for upsetting people particularly when they have told you that this kind of comment is unwelcome. No one has to ‘just put up’ with anything. If you want the suppport and comraderie that we are all happy to give you, it is a good idea to let us know if you mean something in jest, and to generally rein in the abrasive comments. We are all very happy for your weight loss and we may have a thing or two to learn from you (as indeed you might from us), so let us keep this thread amicable and suppportive.

Applepie.. I am so jealous about the fresh lemons, tangerines and oranges. What a treat to pick your own lemons. I used to have a lemon tree in my back garden (alas no more lemon tree.. and no more garden) .. there is nothing like it. Ginette, figs are one of the most wonderful fruit picked ripe right off a tree.. try them with walnuts and/or some honey.. delicious.

I am writing this with a glass of pinot noir by my side. Very mellow. I don’t have to fast till Monday. Yaaay!
    Howver, good luck to all those who are the bravehearts fasting on a Sunday.

Good morning All, and welcome to the new posters.

Salma – how very virtuous are you!? Your cooking sounds to die for. Great comments, very true that no one has to just put up with anything.
    I love fresh figs myself but I read on the internet recently that each fig contains a decomposed wasp, is that right?

The bar opening was good but I don’t think it will do well. It is up a load of stairs, no passing trade, no dance floor (my OH loves to dance) It is a shame, so many businesses here go bust after a very short time. The buffet was ok, I had my 1st sandwich in 3 months, but wasn’t tempted by the cold pizza or strange looking sausage rolls made with hot dogs. I was fascinated hearing the stories of our new friend and neighbour. She left Vietnam aged 12 in a boat, was rescued by a Norwegian vessel so her life is now in Norway. A lovely lady who has been through so much. Photos on FB if anyone is interested. See my profile.

Not sure now about the liquid fast today. Loan goes back to Norway tomorrow and she is here alone at the moment. We may go out or have her round for a meal tonight.

Have a great Sunday!

Hi Milena,

Initially, cutting chocolate and cake was a conscious decision. I started 5:2 in January 2014, having been completely disgusted by my lack of willpower over the holidays. I had pretty much single handedly consumed (vacuumed/ inhaled) all the mince pies, Christmas cake, and tins of chocolate in the house…

My first sweet treat was then in the April, when I found a bar of Green and Blacks that had escaped me at Xmas! I looked at it for a couple of days, didn’t really fancy it but decided to try it, found it tasted far sweeter and not as nice as I’d remembered.

I make us a cake or some biscuits once every few weeks now. Although they don’t have the same power over me as they did, I’m also aware that if I did starting eating sugar again every day I would risk becoming addicted again. Luckily my OH doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth, so there’s no temptation in the cupboard! One benefit of cutting sugar seems to be that everything else now has more flavour and natural sweetness than I’d previously appreciated.

As for the rest of the carbs, it was conscious to avoid them on fast days (easier to manage hunger, they take up too many cals and don’t fill me). I then realised cutting them the night before meant I didn’t wake up hungry. And it just sort of permeated through every day.

I do eat all carbs, but refined ones not as often and in much smaller quantities. I eat much smaller portions now, and can’t overeat like I used to, so I think perhaps it’s natural to consume fewer refined carbs as my body needs to maximize on nutrients in fewer calories now I’m smaller?

Like you, I found I naturally moved away from red meat too. I eat smaller amounts now occasionally, but would rather eat fish or vegetarian most nights.

The intermittent fasts seem to act as a reset and a break on eating habits, so as long as I practice 5:2 (currently 6:1) I see no reason why my changed preferences and smaller portions would revert to the old habits. The process also made me more mindful generally about food, so if I do eat more (or more calorie dense) food at one meal I’ll then eat lighter at the next. I can’t just keep banking those calories and expect to stay slim!

Sorry for the long post, and also for butting in on you. As I said I’m a regular elsewhere, but I enjoy the humour on this thread!

Hi Salma

you certainly sound chirpy, great post.

It was the second bottle of wine! Maybe a good job we left it, the fist did damage enough. My pal – you may remember her, nearly 6ft and 11 stone – her parents have lost 7 stone between them on 5:2, impressive and had her quizzing me about it – asked if I would help her get her bikini body for her hols. Like Im the expert on bikini bods!

Obviously a challenge, so we are both going to do the fast beach diet for six weeks, starting next week. (Or, as Im calling it, the beached whale diet.) I will post photos of myself in a bikini at the end of it, with my pal, before and after shots – I think we all will know who the before model will be!!!!

And Im going to zumba classes with her – and I think, in a moment of weakness – I may have agreed to a Spin class – though I hope that part was a dream, I dont have the knees for spin – dangerous stuff, wine!!

Applepie, if you are moving the liquids to Monday, let me know and Ill join you, got soup in for my normal fast but you mentioned having a light meal the day before a liquid fast, so I can adjust. Though most days are light meals nowadays.

Graham, must say I saw no humour or irony in your personal rant at me the other day, nor in your comments yesterday. Being a batchelor does not give sufficient reason for your bullying and behaving like a spoilt child. By all means aim your humour at yourself, and we will all laugh with you, but not at you. Aimed at other people – not much fun, especially not on a support forum. I hope you are still here because you are wanting to help and support others.

And I hope anyone on the scales today is a loser …….travel hopefully…….

Good Morning!

My cat decided that I should be up at 4:30 this morning, so here I sit! 🙁 Another long day ahead of me. I’m playing in a golf tournament today, so lots of exercise on the horizon. My sister is looking forward to a nice walk on our local rail trail while I’m golfing.

We had fun shopping yesterday. I bought a pair of shorts & a pair of capri length. We came home and my sister helped me pack for my trip. I only hope that I’ll be able to pack to come home and fit everything back in the suitcase! It is jammed! I am on the injured reserve list as while we were packing I pushed down on the pile and my razor(which was in a bag) cut my finger. It is quite nasty. Brand new disposable razor that didn’t come with a guard. We wrapped it in a paper towel so I won’t do that again! I suppose it’ll be a good excuse for not playing golf well today! 😉 Even typing is a bit tricky.

I’ve been eating quite a few “different” things that I very seldom eat, but not huge quantities of any one thing, so I’m hopeful that the scale won’t be too nasty to me this week(if I decide to get on it). I’ll only get 1 good fast in this week…Tuesday. My usual Monday fast won’t work as I have a dinner meeting. I’m going to try to fast all day until dinner. Maybe I’ll try for a half fast(1000 calorie) day on Wednesday. I leave early Thursday morning. I have to be in the car on the way to the airport by 3:30AM!! Flight is at 6AM.

Hope you all are enjoying your weekend.

Hi Happy now

I am so glad you have reached your goal and are maintaining. Well done.

Hi Graham

I think you may have missed the point we seem to be making. You need to not think about your “amusement” in making these comments and be mindful that they are upsetting other people. Your amusement should not be done with no thought that it may give offence to others. Some people here are struggling and these comments are NOT helpful. As I said before I am really pleased for you that you have lost weight. Your plan is not ours and your comments definetly wound me up – I DONT find that amusing. Please be a little less self serving I don’t appreciate your comments and I am sure that others don’t either.

I am sorry to be so harsh but I can see that other people wish you to stop as well. I now don’t even want to write things I have eaten or going to eat for fear of a comment from you. The idea of this forum is that we can share things those who like wine or sweet treats – yes they are full of carbs but are our way of coping. Why take away our pleasures.

Please be successful in the future with your chosen way but go and find an Atkins forum you can then make your jokes there!

Ginette

Thanks Ginette,

And good luck with your journey!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment” (Marcus Aurelius).

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent” (Eleanor Roosevelt).

Hi Milena

Well done imagine having such a lovely time and STILL coming in under TDEE.

H Salma

So pleased you get on well with his girlfriend, sounds like she likes cooking….. The way to a mans heart. Liking her makes family events easier as well. Not a fresh fig in sight and now I really fancy one.

I certainly did not consciously lower carbs it just happened. The love of chocolate is still there although I know this will lessen with the exercise. It did in the past, I just didn’t fancy it as much. It is really strange how that works as I wouldn’t have believed it myself. Any ideas on this?

Milena

Good luck on all that exercising you have committed yourself to. I am really curious about the beach diet please give feedback. There is an app (you may already know this) the Fast Beach diet App. I have it but haven’t registered to do it.

Would also love feedback on how useful this is if anybody has used it.

Hi Lori

Poor you. My cats aren’t allowed in the bedroom. I have one who is now 18 months old but still a bit kitten like, into everything, a real tomboy and I dnot want to be woken up at night. My neighbours cat brought a mouse into the bedroom and was chasing it under the bed. So bedroom door firmly closed now and mouse problem being dealt with.

Good luck on weigh day. I only lost about half a lb this week but as I retain water as soon as the wether gets warm I am putting in down to this. Sure sign is watch is getting tighter. It was beginning to swing last week. You may find that the increase in food may help you lose weight if not this week next. I have found this to be the case at slimming clubs. On weeks that I thought I had definetly lost I hadn’t and sometimes even gained and then on weeks where I had thought I was sure to gain as I had overeaten a lot I had lost. Illogical!

So this is temporary and will be there until we have a colder spell. Anyone else suffer from this?

I do hope I have lost a stone by summer. Should be achievable. I shall increase exercise slightly next week to get that fat burning going.

Have a nice Sunday all.

Ginette

Anyone been watching ‘Back in time for Dinner’?

Absolutely fascinating. Today’s episode was the eighties, the decade of microwaves, exercise (the green goddess was one program) and fad diets – and the era that introduced slimming clubs and takeaways pizza. Grapefruit and the F plan were attempted. 7% obesity in the eighties, 23% now.

Well worth watching, we missed the fifties but the sixties and seventies were a hoot.

Well said both Ginette and Milena. We all have enough to deal with each on our own journey without being chastised by someone who isn’t even wholeheartedly trying 5:2. Anyway, enough said.
    You all seem to be a chirpy and fun group on this thread. I already post on two other threads, but if you don’t mind will jump in every once in a while. ( don’t want to get too repetitive and bore you all) Three months on and trying to reach 10 stone before hols at end of April, still have 5.5lbs to go so as I’m a slow loser, might not reach goal. Ah well, I had to give it a try! I can get stuck in again when I get back. Good luck and happy losing!

Hi everyone.
    Thanks for making me feel welcome. I feel as if I already know most of you, since I read this thread through from the start.

Hi Melina, yes! Love my cats. Got 3 of them.

My fast days are Monday and Thursday. I find Monday’s a good day after the weekend indulgence.

I start every morning with a tumbler glass of warm water that’s been boiled and left to cool, with a slice of lemon.

On Fast Days just have green tea, again with a slice of lemon in the mornings and just clear liquids up till lunchtime and then have some fruit with yoghurt around 1pm. This keeps me going through the afternoon till I have my evening meal. This consists of a clear veg soup and a salad.

My none Fast Days have changed as well, I have cut out all bread and cut down on complex carbs. Not that I have difficulty with the carbs after being on the Atkins Diet previously, if I needs to lose a few pounds, but even this wasn’t working of late.
    Most None Fast days, breakfast consists of porridge, scrambled eggs or fruit and yoghurt.
    Always have a well stocked larder of vegetables to serve with meals.
    I must admit, I love my red meat, so save this for the weekends and tend to have chicken or fish midweek.

Have been staying within my TDEE with some days being well under.

This is a good forum to swap ideas for meals and a good chat.
    Gives you the incentive to keep going and achieve our targets.

Good luck!

Hi Apple pie

I am sorry I missed you out. Must be the wasp in figs story……I have never found this. Well not yet. Glad you had a nice time – fist sandwich in three months!

I must admit to loving my seeded wholemeal or granary. I have omelette for lunch occasionally and although I love cheese only buy it once in a while. I had cheese omelette and salad last week so I am now experimenting with dressings although I do enjoy my french mustard and red wine dressing I am thinking of adding a little olive oil and herbs to it. I really love salad although it doesn’t fill me up. When I am in France the fist thing I buy is bread so much lighter than ours I did weigh it once and I think I cound have 6/8 slices of bread that has been sliced at the bakery to my two slices at home. I think the one I have is called Miche. The next thing I buy is tomatoes about 2kg I keep some in the fridge others out ready to eat. I just love them. I eat the marmande variety.

I am sure you have delicious tomatoes in Spain. I remember my Dad growing some one year and they were really similar to the french ones I like. I love them with fresh parsley.

Well now I am day dreaming about tomatoes that reminds me I need to go out and get some here. Vine are the ones I like here, they at least smell like tomatoes!

See you all later

Ginette

Hello everyone!

My name is Louise and I am a 57 year old Canadian. I heard about the 5:2 diet for the first time a couple of weeks ago from my sil. She came over for dinner last night with some friends and I was blown away by how much her body had changed since I last saw her 3 weeks ago. She lost 10 lbs in her first week doing the Fast diet. Her weight was around 125 lbs so going down to 115 lbs looks really good on her!

I decided to give the diet a try in order to lose the 30 lbs I want to take off. I am a vegetarian and I drink and eat as close to source as I can so I think the fasting should be challenging but not impossible for me.

I am a Yoga, Qi Gong and Pilates instructor so I do a lot of strength-training in the classes that I teach. I also speed walk about 3 miles everyday. I keep my caloric intake at 1200 almost religiously and I journal my food daily.

I am peri-menopausal so I have seen some changes in my sleep (I average between 3-5 every night) and some changes in my weight. I thought that the 5:2 diet might help me move forward in bringing even more healthy lifestyle changes to my life.

Cheers!

Hi Louise

Welcome to the thread. The link below may be good for you and your friend. She has done really well and there are so many options out there for vegans now I am sure you will manage.

Let us know how you do.

To anyone who has missed the original program with Michael Mosley here is a link to an article in the Telegraph.

There are links to many other related articles in the middle of this one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html

Ginette

Thanks Ginette 🙂

I’ve read that link and I found it very enlightening. So tomorrow is Fast Day #1. I’m looking forward to doing this and if I feel good (that’s the most important indicator for me) I will consider making it a permanent part of my lifestyle. 🙂

Milena

One for you and anyone else interested followed by links to week by week updates in the middle of the article. I shall have a read and I may even join you although I know I have a wedding on May 15th so shall partake then as it is in a really nice restaurant in Bristol.

I shall read through the week by week guide maybe others will want to join us as it is only for 6 weeks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/diet/10839520/Can-Dr-Michael-Mosley-and-the-Fast-Beach-52-diet-get-me-fit-for-summer.html

I missed that program was it on the BBC?

Thanks Third time Lucky for your support.

Hi Jane

I think there are a few of us who are cat lovers here. I have two and My mother lived abroad and when she fell ill had to come to England and leave her cats behind with my uncle to look after. I gave him the money to have them nutered but when I went back on a visit he hadn’t the cats kept multiplying and at the last count I had taken 24 kittens to a sanctuary and got 11 neutered. So every holiday we had over there was chasing and trapping the cats/kittens. He lived near a fast road and sadly most of the cats disappeared as I could only go over once a year to see him. There remained two one eventually disappeared and the other stayed for a few years and when my uncle died left of his own accord.

The local people thought I was mad and now I am known to one of my English friends as cat woman!

Louise did you also check the links in the middle of the page?

Just to let you know that Michael Mosely said in one of the articles in May 2014 there will be a fast diet app coming out. He reccomended My fitness pal to stay on track. I shall try to keep a lookout for the App.

I was going out but had to do my 20 minutes of exercise before tomorrow to reach my target. Now I have just cooled off. I unlocked a new exercise but I have decided it can wait until tomorrow. I was tempted though……..

Ginette

Ginette, you will not find the wasp, have a look at this link
    http://animals.howstuffworks.com/insects/fig-wasp2.htm
    hope it doesn’t put you off.
    One of the first things I noticed when we moved here was the tomatoes. How big they were and how they actually tasted of tomato. Yes I love them too, with fresh basil and olive oil yummy.
    Sorry for the confusion milena but I am doing a liquids only day today. But I count this as part of last week, which means I will have done 2 liquids only days when I get weighed tomorrow. What will the scales say?…….. Should be good. Even after my first sandwich in 3 months haha!

‘re the wasps, I’m allergic to wasp stings, but presumed the fig absorbs that as well, makes fascinating reading, though.

Of course, we have fly cemetery slices. Very tasty too!

Hi All,

Sorry to be absent so long, but since starting my first job since December I’ve just been giving it my all and posting on weekends. I would have posted yesterday, but to backtrack, Friday immediately after work I went straight to the venue where I was recording that night–and was recording there until roughly 1:00 am, then packed up, went home, crawled in bed, and had another show to record with a 9:30 am call the next morning (yesterday). That was a short show and was over just past noon, but then attended a conference starting at 1:00 pm that went until 9:00 pm last night. They had food at the last part of the event, but since yesterday was a fast day I abstained. I’m really glad I did because the scale was down .4 pounds/.18 kilos this morning. After all that I was too pooped to address this thread until today. I have read all posts in between though, and appreciate the thoughts from those who have missed me. Welcome to all the new folks! I will be back, just not as often. I hope you understand.

At any rate, to catch you up, I fasted yesterday (Saturday), and as of this morning I am 4.4 pounds/just under 2 kilos/just over .3 stone away from my high (and the naturopath keeps insisting ONLY) goal. My next appointment with him is on 24 April, and I’m doing everything in the meantime to reach my goal by that morning (including fasting Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday this week–and yes, from what I can gather the first day of the week is Sunday).

Also on the 20th of this month I have an appointment with the nutritionist who basically gave up on me trimming down any more. My last appointment with him was 22 October of last year (almost three months before I started the 5:2 this past 10 January). I wasn’t tracking my weight online at that time, but think I weighed somewhere between 135 and 140 pounds/61-63.5 kilos/9.6-10 stone at that time. I might not have reached my goal weight quite by then, but I’ll show him! I’m only thankful that I didn’t give up on me and found the naturopath who furnished the 5:2 key that unlocked the door to my continued weight loss!

Happy week one and all!

Hi Jayney

we have missed you. As usual you leave me breathless – but as you are also a breath of fresh air, carry on.

You sound very upbeat, hope the recording and show went well, and how the job is going well too. As great to hear that you are so close to target, Will be interesting to hear if there is a rethink, you will know when you have reached your ultimate goal. Happy days!!!

Travel hopefully

Blah, blah. Whatever!

Hi Apple pie

As long as I can’t see them legs in air then they won’t worry me. But it was really interesting and I will look next time.

Hi Janeyw

Your life sounds pretty hectic. Well done on your loss let’s hope it carries on.

Milena I have looked at tge fast beach app. It looks good but puts be at calorie count between 1200 and 2000 which is what I do now, well I try and stay below 1700. So I’m not sure if the difference. It does get you to register calories eaten every day so I shall do this. It will be useful to count calories for a while.

It says the nearer I am to the lower range the more I shall lose so it will be interesting to see. Looks like I am joining you then. It’s always nice to have company.

Graham you are now being annoying – not helpful to anyone on this forum! If this is all you can say don’t bother commenting. This is to offer help and support. You are not doing that. We were all supporting you.

Ok Milena I am going off to read all of the fast Beach articles to get me in the mood.

Anybody joining us on Fast Beach Diet?

Have a good week all.

Happy fasting….

Ginette

Crumbs, Ginette, just realised what I’ve let myself in for, and considering I never have beach holidays and am too old for a bikini, I must be mad.

And if my pal Nessie doesn’t end up with a bod to die at the end of it, I won’t be happy!!!

Start day 20th, which will give us all time to say a last farewell to anything remotely resembling a treat, and time for Nessie to come to terms with the fact there is no booze for six weeks! Oh heck, and me too!!!

I suggest we change things about each week, and if anyone wants to step on and off this joyride, feel free to join in. Appliepie, please help by start working on a selection of delicious wines for us to taste at the end of it. Salma, get thinking of a suitable gourmet treat for us to cook when we get over the finish line on 31st May!

Well done for starting the weeks fasting on a Sunday, Appliepie, liquid fast too, good luck to everyone who is fasting Monday.

Travel hopefully

Milena – What were you doing up at that time?!! I was in bed at 9.10pm. And for a start you can count me out of this no wine malarkey, too much of an ask I am afraid. The best red wine we have found here is Pata Negra. It’s about 3.50 Euros so probably 3x that in the UK if you can get it.

Weigh in day for me ……….. drum roll ………. I have lost another big, fat, 2lbs!! I am now unbelievably 9st 1.8lbs or 127.8lbs. My goal when I started 5:2 was 9 and a half stone and look where I am now. My goal now is to feel slim, to have a waist that goes in like normal people (it’s on it’s way) I will know when I get there.

Janey – you are doing amazing, just wait till that nutritionist sees you, his jaw will drop.

Ginette – Good luck to you and Milena on the Fast Beach diet. I won’t be joining you, I feel I am doing enough. Don’t let anyone put you off though x

We are taking our lovely Vietnamese / Norwegian neighbour to Alicante airport this morning. We might stop off somewhere on the way back if the weather is nice.

Happy Fasting!

Well done Apple pie. You have done brilliantly. I am sure you are thrilled. I like losing 2lb although it doesn’t happen so often now.

Chilly start in England today but weather is forcast for 24 degrees down south tomorrow.

Milena you don’t have to cut it out only down so you can still have a glass of wine. Please don’t despair. I cut down by 200 calories anyway from my TDEE so may cut a bit more but I shall see at the time as I know I am well under that most days anyway. I thought it would be more restrictive.

20th is fine by me.

Maybe others will keep us company.

Ginette

[post removed]

Hi All

In case you are in Britain and interested (sorry I know you can’t play this in Europe) Back in time for dinner is on BBC2.

You can get all episodes it is a program that takes us through food available during these years. I am surrently on the first program and they don’t have a fridge, still have some rationing and they keep the milk in a larder on a slab of marble. I haven’t watched the whole episode yet but it looks promising. I didn’t even realise that I had recorded it.

Link to program below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05nc5tv

Ginette

Hi Ginette

I posted recentky about this programme – missed the 50s but watched 60s, 70s and 80s so far – some lessons to be learned, I think!

Excellent programme, great music and fab clothes too! 80s is the start of the obesity problems in the UK. Read a report the other day, theory was obesity started by increases in red meat consumption in the 50s in the UK, much later in France and Switzerland, who increased their meat consumption decades later, and are thinner, but are now starting to grow fatter. This programmes discusses the advent of ready meals, take aways, packed sandwiches, changes to school meals, gadgets, and the demise of family eating together.

The US has always been ahead of us in most of these areas, and France and other European countries have been behind us in many respects, I never saw a sliced white loaf in France until the late nineties.

Interesting.

Hi Milena

For you and anyone else abroad who would like to watch this

Here it is on YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NDuGNwJ2pCo

I loved the tin opener bit. Did people have dripping cold or was it normally warmed.

I have used this kind of tin opener as my Nan had one……not the way they did it though!

They were much slimmer then I know they did more because of the lack of labour saving devices, but it will be interesting to see what part food had to play. Loads of calories in the dripping.

The bread looked really nice, apparently it didn’t taste as good.

Ginette

Good Morning!

Such an active thread! I love it! You all are doing great.

Got my boot camp workout in this morning, my sister left for home and I’m beginning the low grade panic of pre-vacation! LOL! I just need to get going!

Doing a semi-fast today since I have a dinner meeting to go to tonight.

Make it a good day!

Cold,Ginette, spread like butter, and better if not the consistency of water out of the fridge.

James Martin using dripping to make roast potatoes, and a he is a God, it must be the best thing!!!! He also leaves Yorkshire pudding mixture overnight, which is what my mum, nana and all the sisters did. The Yorkshire way.

Crazy eh? Writing about good on a liquid day! Had Duchy organic earls grey. Ok

Travel hopefully

Thanks for the TV tip ladies. I am downloading the 1950’s prog as we speak.Sounds interesting.

Lard is one of the best fats we can eat. It is up there with coconut and olive oil. I was gobsmacked when I heard it too. But it is true.

I had a liquids only day yesterday, I am doing a normal fast today. I haven’t eaten yet and it’s kippers, spinach and poached egg for tea. Then tomorrow another liquids only day.

For someone who has been called a skinny minnie there were lots of lumps and bumps in the mirror in Primark this afternoon. I was trying on swimming cossies. The mirrors show everything!

Happy fasting!

Hi Salma,

I am 67 and started this diet last August and whilst I had just one and a half stone to lose I decided to use it as a discipline for life mostly for the health benefits. And it definitely works for me. When/if I felt deprived or hungry – I just thought I can eat tomorrow. I’m not an emotional eater so that might help me of course. Now, it’s just become part of my life and I love the fact that I can eat whatever I want for 5 days and the worse that happens is that I maintain my weight. If I hadn’t adopted the diet, my weight would have continued to increase. I lost more weight over Xmas funnily enough even though I didn’t do anything differently except work around Xmas Eve, Xmas Day and New Years eve. However, I usually fast on Mondays and Wednesdays. It feels great after Wednesday as I know I’m free to eat for the rest of the week.

Hi Milena

I could understand how it would be tasty on toast not sure about on bread though.

It was so interesting to see. They would have got the hang of the tin opener if it had been there a while. I also liked carpet sweepers maybe not effective for dust but good for crumbs and somehow very satisfying.

If I get a chance I will try bread and dripping only a little though. Just to taste. I have had potatoes cooked in dripping before. They were nice.

All episodes are all on you tube Apple pie.

Hi Carla66

Nice to see you here. This is how I want to use it eventually. Interestingly I read somewhere that the health benefits were less if you took vitamins.

I have just been to get a nice frozen meal they do in Aldi. White fish 304 calories with boiled potatoes and vegetables in mint sauce. I just need to add a few more vegetables. I don’t have ready meals often but it is nice sometimes. They are about £1.49.

Hi Lori

I do my exercise in the evening just before I eat as it cools down a bit then. Do you find it beneficial health wise?

Ginette

Hi Ginette, I had it as a child, not sure it was nice or not, seem to remember it was better if there was lots of beef juices as well. Wrote water out of fridge, meant butter, of course.

Ive always dunked my bread in the hot fat when making a bacon sarnie – OH always tells me it is gross. Fry jiin olive oil nowadays.

Just a cup of black tea and water so far, over 21 hours, about 16 to go. No sure I can do this twice a week though, Appliepie, but may try. I want to describe myself as a skinny minny too one day!

Just remembered, my stepfather used to call me ‘Olive’ after Olive Oyl, Popeye’s girlfriend, as I was such a skinny child, in spite of the beef dripping.

Back n the day, eh??

Hi Ginette,
    All our cats are strays or from cats homes. Life wouldn’t be worth living without them! You certainly had you hands full with them at your dad’s.
    Not good when they are near a main road.
    We don’t have that problem! We live in the countryside in the Peak District of Derbyshire, so very remote. Got cat flap, so they are independent and come and go as they wish.

Well Done Jayney! You’re an inspiration to us all.
    And Applepie too! Well done to you both.

I’m hoping I’ll lose a couple of pounds before too long.

Welcome Carla.

On a Fast day today. Started well and felt good all morning. Even resisted some cake and buns a member of staff brought in as it was their birthday.
    But will have a piece tomorrow if any left!!
    Had omelette for tea with mushrooms, a little cheese and peppers.

Just off to do a little HIIT Exercise for 15 mins and feel the benefit of it in the morning.

Good luck everyone.

Hi Ginette!

Thanks for the link to the article about Michael Mosley, that’s very helpful!

I’m on my 1st Fast day and it’s going well, really well. What I really like about this diet is that it can be for just 2 days a week, which means you don’t get those anxious feelings that a normal diet would give you. I know that tomorrow I can eat my regular 1200 calories and that makes it easier to handle today.

I haven’t bought the book, so I’m following a lot of different threads on this board to get the information that I need. Is it absolutely crucial to read Dr. Mosely’s book or can I get by doing this?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Evening ppl,
    I have a confession: Last week’s Monday fast was terrible, really difficult and I fell off the wagon 🙁 .I had a flick through the book and it noted that there are times when women shouldn’t fast…. so skipped it Wednesday and for other reasons am having a pre-planned week off this week.

I will however be back on the fasting wagon next week. I have three pairs of size 14 jeans in my wardrobe and I intend to get in them!

I will be keeping up on the exercise front with some heavy work in the garden as well as the cycling …

Hi Firehorse

well its three hail marys and a penance, I suppose.

Next fast day, when the hunger bug calls, supervise someone to clean the bathroom. If you are feeling really penitent, do it yourself. Either way, distraction and clean toilet!!!!

And forgive yourself, we are all just glad you got back on the wagon!

Nearly twelve, just 9 hours to go to end of 36 hour complete fast, and Im hoping to be asleep for 8 of them. Looking forward to brushing my teeth, at least Ill have a taste of something good. Before 5:2, breakfast til dinner was hard some days, even with elevenses, lunch and afternoon tea to break up the day. Cant believe I can talk about food, and watch cookery programmes without feeling the need to eat. Today OH actually made a bacon sarnie, and ate it in front of me! He is testing me now, and he and son found it all quite amusing.

Revenge is a dish best eaten cold!!

travel hopefully

Hi Jane cat lover

I wouldn’t be without mine. Do you find that HIIT helps you lose? I have been exercising and some of that is at panting speed. I just hope I reap rewards.

Hi Louise

I bought the book after watching the program but as long as you follow the principles and read online articles you should be fine. Keep checking your TDEE as you lose as it does change. I have altered mine to 200 below this site. NHS site is different as well. Other people here have lowered theirs to what is is at their target weight. I suggest you start on reccomended and then maybe reduce it after a few weeks if you want to. This will get you used to eating and fasting and you will probably find that food tastes change and you don’t need as much.

Hope the first day went ok. The second one will probably be easier.

Good luck.

Hi Firehorse. Poor you, you will get back to it. A week off will help hopefully. I always plan to do things during the day. Keeping busy is best. A lot of people here are getting very clean houses. I have a sort out in any room apart from the kitchen.

Hi Milena

You get them back……. You can easily outsmart them!

Food doesn’t bother me on fast days. I know I have something to look forward to at the end of it. Tea however is a different matter.

Let’s hope we have a good week.

Ginette

Louise

A link that may help. As you will see there are just some basic principles you need to stick to.

Also I would suggest you measure yourself as sometimes we lose inches but not lbs.

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/wellbeing/538274/the-5-2-diet-everything-you-need-to-know-to-get-started

Ginette

Hi Ginette

Revenge has begun. He is off to get me some fresh milk and I know it bugs him that I wont use what is there. And later today we are off to waitrose – he likes shopping at Aldi, getting bread and bits from Sainsburys. I reckon if Im eating less, I can increase quality, he thinks its an opportunity to save. Well, he is a canny Scot. He will moan when I tell him!!!

Cant believe I havent eaten yet, over 37 hours, and watching a food programme on TV. Even more surprised no proper tea for two days, just a few mouthfuls of earl grey, and no coffee for two days. Major changes!

Wow milena! That’s amazing. Bet you never thought you could do that in a million years. Just shows what we are capable of. I am doing another liquids only today.

Onwards and downwards!

Just following your lead Applepie!!

Have a great day, you and everyone else!

Milena…no coffee for 2 days??? You are made of tough stuff! I could not do that. I would be on the floor with a headache to end all headaches! I’m just glad I like it black so I don’t have to use calories to make it to my liking.

Last boot camp session for a couple weeks this morning. It was cardio boxing which is always a good, sweaty workout. I think my body will appreciate the break from the intense exercise. Just walking and maybe lite running for the next 10 days. Hmmm….unless there’s a good class on the cruise ship. Will have to look in to that.

Planned to fast today, but I’m just not “feeling” it. I am well and truly in vacation mode. If I do decide to not fast, I will still keep it a low calorie day. I’ll be busy this evening doing last minute laundry etc. Tomorrow after work is my pedicure and then last minute packing. Wish I was in Florida already!!

Have a lovely day….fasting or not!

Milena and Applepie

If I had a hat I would take it off to you both. Milena got your revenge then…..

I hope you both have a good weight loss this week. You certainly deserve it.

Ginette

Hi- I am going to be 52 in June. Have been doing the 5:2 (not perfectly and with some breaks during holidays) for 2 years. Started out at 250lb- now I weigh 215. Would love to get to under 200 by September. I like reading everyone’s posts. Helps me get remotivated. I can’t remember who posted about the dietician saying she had a lot of water in her body, due to hormonal changes, so it looks like you aren’t losing. I don’t measure my waist or hips, so I think I will try that. Good luck everyone!

Hi unathecat

Well done on your loss so far I am 250lbs now so have a long way to go. I also have come a long way since starting this in second week of January. 16lb down. When I have joined slimming clubs in tge fast I have always found it difficult to lose and have lost all but one week on this. So I am very pleased.

I have a lot of water in my body and I do suffer from this. The hot weather really makes it worse. Tablets I am on say it is one of the side effects. These are something I can’t do without. The best thing is to manage it. I can put on 4lbs during the week and then take it off in one day. Not not a big gain and loss of fat just water. I always add it in the summer, so now I am used to it. I do take sea kelp and they do help.

The measurements will keep you motivated. If you don’t lose weight sometimes you lose inches.

Good luck to you. It is easy to keep up motivation here as if you have a day when you are feeling down, just coming on here cheers you up and encourages you on.

Ginette

Milena – just be careful how you break your fast. I wouldn’t recommend kippers, spinach and poached egg like I had. It didn’t agree with me at all. Take it gently.

Another liquids only day today. I have just been shopping. I was looking longingly at packets of crisps and reading all the labels. If fat is now ok and it is sugar that is bad, does that mean crisps are back on the good list? I do miss them.

Applepie – will take your advice!

I just had Alpen for breakfast at 11- Gandi fasted a lot, and also had enemas. Obviously no Alpen around in his day!!

I am sitting here with a kir royal – not champagne, just sparkling. Didnt manageto get to Waitrose, as OH found a pork fillet in the freezer. Damn.

Having it with a mushroom and cream sauce and rice. First rice since start of 5:2, first cream sauce too, I believe. First time ever cooking two portions of rice which will feed two instead if a small town, one fillet between three, and these are hungry boys.

Not even too worried about TDEE as I have salmon and asparagus salad for tomorrow.

Might regret the richness though!

Found some foie gras in the cupboard to have Saturday, so really should do another liquid day before, I darent check the calories. But def a week of treats before the start of the beached whale experiment.

I feel like an olympic athlete in training!!

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.