Medicines that you need to take with food

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Medicines that you need to take with food

This topic contains 1 reply, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Obligado1927 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi,

I need to lose 40lbs. My hips are suffering, hoping I can avoid surgery if I can shift the weight.

What do you do if you need to take a med that must be taken with food?

So far I just don’t take it (Naproxen) at all and wait until my evening meal.

How ever the pain is making my grumpy and affecting my walking and work.

When lockdown ends and I return to driving I’ll need all the help I can get.

Any clues? Or just don’t take it?

Thanks

I haven’t had to worry about this, but I know many people have, and the answer is to take your medication with the smallest amount of food to make it work well and not give you any side effects. Even if you have to take half your fast day calories with it.

Are you worried that eating something in the morning will make the rest of the day harder? Maybe try it for a couple of weeks (eg 4 fast days) and see if you can get it to work.

If it is suitable to take your medication with soup, that could be a good trick. Soup for breakfast is lovely 🙂 A bowl of soup can fill you up well and also helps with hydration, which can be a problem on a fast day. If you need something more substantial, might a couple of boiled eggs do the trick? A very small bowl of porridge might work.

Is your fast day calorie limit 800? If it is lower than that, it might be worth putting it up to 800 to make sure you can manage your medication. You can always lower it later if things get easier.

Fingers crossed you can find a good way to manage it.

My limit is 500.

I prefer to use it for dinner but like you say my best bet will be to have some sort of breakfast food with it.

On other mornings I have 4 frozen cherries blended with 100g full fat Greek yog and water, and drink this on the way to work. So this could work, I’d just have to have a very small dinner.

Hi,

The reason it needs to be taken with food is because it can harm the lining of the stomach in the long term if taken on an empty stomach every day.

I occasionally take something similar and if I need to do so on a fast day I have a couple of spoonfuls of natural yoghurt before doing so.

Good luck.

2/8/20. Hello, I. Must. Take. Ten. Pills. AM. Then. 14. at. night. After. Food.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.