May 2017 31-Day Challenge (1st Anniversary!)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
May 2017 31-Day Challenge (1st Anniversary!)

This topic contains 2,268 replies, has 131 voices, and was last updated by  Moammad 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 2,272 total)

• Day 2 – UK – NFD

(Day 1 FD). Start weight 61.5kg. Goal for the end of May = 59kg.

x

2nd post
    @yolina slow and steady is better than all gung go. Stick to the plan when you can and adapt the times when you cant. There are many permutations of 5:2 and if you can’t do them either, eat mindfully with lots of healthy food, cutting out sugar. Your visitors may appreciate it too – remember the million Β£ or $ prize to keep you on track!

Day 2 Second post

@at I read Eat Pray Love some years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have you seen the film version with Julia Roberts? Also very good, well worth having a look.

Day 2 : Cheshire, UK : NFD

Did well until around 6pm then fell completely off the wagon. Will get back on tomorrow.

@songbirdme – Happiest of Birthdays to you! πŸŽ‚πŸŽΌπŸŒžπŸŒΊ

@okeydokey

Not your fault at all,I only weigh once a week on a Monday morning so could only give the Monday before…..I answered your other Q on the April page πŸ˜„

Day 2 – USA – NFD

Second post – @songbirdme – HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR SONGBIRDME, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!! You didn’t even hear how off tone I was, did you? HAHA….

Fast day today. Skipped breakfast. Lots of black coffee and tea. Protein bar for lunch and Shiratake Noodles for dinner followed by a fat free yogurt. Just a few more hours to go and it’s a wrap! The temptation to snack on nuts is making me crazy. I have to keep thinking: “wait until tomorrow!”

Day 3 – Fast day #2 of the week

After breaking Monday’s fast with rye toast and salmon for breakfast yesterday, I felt quite light headed and dizzy and had to sit down for a bit before going to work. Does anyone else experience this? Other than that, had a good day, did a Grit Strength workout after work and had salmon and veg for dinner.

Today on the fast day (Wed), so far I have had only water and tea and its just past 1pm now. I have some yoghurt on standby as part of the 500cals if I get too light headed during the day, but I might try to have a repeat of Monday and go without any cals for the day. Would having 0 cals accelerate results, or is it good to give your body a bit of fuel?

Hi MarieinDallas,

Protein bar and low fat yogurt??? Wow talk about making it hard on yourself to achieve success. My wife used to have protein shakes from a well known “diet” company. I pointed out that the protein shake powder was about 42% sugar. So how much sugar does the protein bar have? Id be ditching the protein bar and having the nuts, every time. Fat free yogurt? So what’s in the yogurt if its not fat? Check the label, how much sugar is in it?

Fat is not your enemy, never has been. Sugar is the enemy. Ancel Keys got it very wrong. Good luck with it.

Day 3 Portugal FD

NFD yesterday went ok. Today I am hoping for a FD well under 500cal. Also planning a good long walk this morning.

Day 3 UK FD (B2B)

FD went well yesterday. Only small green salad at lunch and same for dinner with addition of some lean ham. Handful of blueberries and a few strawberries to follow. So well within 500 I believe. Further FD today to work round other things going on this week. Feel fine and very motivated ! Especially since the scales show. 0.5 Kg loss already.
    Good luck to all the fasters today!

Day 2 / UK / FD
    Day 3 / UK / FD

May have gone slightly over 500 with a final little treat of Skyr at the end of the day, but in spirit it was a FD. Felt pretty tired, exhausted and emotional, probably more by work and life in general, as if I am not sure what to do with myself, but it did feel good to make it through the FD okay. It’s been too long! Tentatively trying for a FD again today, but will then take breaks. I remember doing that streak of FDs in the week before Easter–there was a clearly defined goal, which made it easier to stick with it, but after that I wonder if I was asking for a little too much.

Day 3 UK FD🌈

My 3rd FD then that’s me done for the week, as I am away Thurs to Saturday, been a hard two days and feeling tired today, however my meal will be at lunchtime. I find that on FDs I have one meal a day works for me.

Drinking water is a challenge, day 1 OK, day 2 one bottle x 500ml!!!! 😳No wonder I’m feeling tired. So plan of the day drink water!!!!

Have a good day all, 😁😁

DAY 3 – UK – FD

Happy Birthday Songbirdme!! Hope you have a wonderful day.

Thanks for the Spreadsheet….what an amazing effort Okeydokey – such a lot of work …it is so appreciated.

Day 3 – NFD

Survived B2B but may have just tipped over 500 yesterday! All done – just need to eat healthily til weigh in mon morning 😊 Feeling good to be part of this challenge with so many – keep up the good work!

Day 3 Brunei NFD
    Well it was supposed to be a FD today but I made plans last night for dinner out tonight so I decided to make tomorrow my second FD instead this week. I hope tomorrow goes as well as Monday, it’s not quite as straightforward, especially re alcohol as I’m hosting a book club meet and that usually means a couple of glasses of wine. Going to try to go teetotal though and completely abstain, to keep my fast day goals. After lots of alcohol laat weekend I’m quite happy to keep off the booze for another couple of days (in theory… Let’s hope I can make that idea a reality…) “Eyes on the prize violet, eyes on the prize” πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    Have a great day three everyone and happy Birthday @songbirdme

day 3 UK FD

189 lbs :))

Day 3 – FIN – NFD

Ended up eating approximately 490 kcal yesterday – I was already preparing to go over 500 kcal, but the protein bar I bought contained less calories than I thought (170 instead of 210), so I stayed within that margin. Other than that, my plans of one big meal went out of the window – didn’t have the patience to look for a recipe that I would have had ingredients ready for. Suppose planning in advance could be a good idea for the future and make my life easier.
    I broke my fast at around 1500 with a pear and cashew nuts, then had a slice of cheese and a few turkey cold cuts plus cottage cheese and a carrot a few hours later. When I returned home from my dance class I was met with the wonderful smell of freshly baked bread, and am now looking forward to enjoying a few of those for breakfast shortly.

@schatziii That’s wonderful news! Now the real work begins…

@okeydokey What an impressive amount of weight all of us lost together! Thank you for compiling the results.

@bigbooty Speaking of protein bars: my protein bar yesterday contained 5 g sugar, which I don’t find that bad especially after a workout when the body actually has use for that kind of energy. More importantly, it contained 22 g protein. I do agree with you that it’s important to look at the ingredients instead of simply trusting slogans and imagery blindly, though. There can be huge differences between brands and even bars within the same brand.

Day 3 Notts UK BSD

Lunch with my sister today so a bit of a challenge, wonder how much she has remembered of our conversation on holiday?

Day 3 : Cheshire, UK : FD

This will be my first FD since March! I really need to succeed today and I’m hoping for a liquid fast – water and herbal teas.

I have put on almost all that I lost. I’m a little bit annoyed but I knew what I was doing. Pure sabotage as I had reached my goal weight and just needed to maintain. It feels like maintaining is too much of a challenge and easier to lose the weight…that’s my little psychological assessment πŸ™‚

Well no maintenance this month…..wonder if I can lose all 6-7lbs. Hoping some of it is water. We will see but today is definitely a FD!

xoxo

Day 3 Newcastle UK FD.
    Yesterday’s fast went well so will carry on with another today.
    Only had an evening meal around 7pm. I thought the 20 minutes hit rowing would have been difficult after no food all day but not so, I normally have a soup lunch but was busy at work till 3pm so just kept drinking fluids.
    Another blue sky day in Newcastle although a bit in the cool side.
    Keep focused everyone.

Day 3, London, UK, FD (2nd of B2B………………….. β€˜back-to-back’ FDs)

Yesterday turned into a complete FD, as in no calories consumed, just water, herbal tea and lemon water. I’ve come down with a cold, should I have counted the calories in the vast amount of drugs I’ve consumed to get rid of this????!!!! ……….joke!!!!

I usually start my days with a ginger shot (Β½ apple + thumb sized piece of ginger juiced) which keeps these bugs at bay; but recently, I’ve been lazy, and now my head is banging and nose streaming!!! I suppose the bright side is the lack of appetite!!!!

@pissupoosa, I love your handle!!!! Your real name is a beautiful one too!!!! Sometimes β€˜life’ just gets in the way of our plans, at least with this WOL you can adjust your days to suit!!! Enjoy the conference and avoid the beige food!!!!!

@coda………………. I don’t suppose you’ve actually got Β£1m going spare have you???? I need the incentive to be REAL!!!!

@lynzm, aim to be sloshing around as you move!!!!! It’s quite difficult to drink 3L, but when your tummy (dragon) thinks β€˜food’,……………… reach for the water, you’ll form that habit soon enough!!!! I really believe it’s the key to a whoosh too!!!

Keep the faith everyone………………….. Happy fasting!!!!

Day 3 – UK – FD

Just checking in, access to scales today and am 223lbs. Aim to lose a total of 7 in May, so target weight is 216.

Day 3 – Switzerland – FD

Yesterday’s NFD was controlled and logged into MFD and came in under goal, so all good so far. Still haven’t had a chance to catch up with the thread, so I’ll just keep this short and say ‘hello!’

Day 3 – UK – FD

Day 3, FIRST POST, Hampshire UK

Hi I’m FiveTwoFan! This is my first post and today is my first FD of May.

I am female, mid-40s.

Today’s weight = 9 stone 1

Been playing around with 5:2 (mostly 6:1 haha!) for the last 2 years, but only just got serious in Nov 2016 when I found the forum!

The forum has changed my life as I stopped feeling like the only person in the world who was fasting!

I reached my goal of 9 stone last month, but previous experience has now taught me that it only takes a holiday / Easter / Christmas to push me back over that weight again. So I have a new goal of 8 stone 10.

Plan for this week:-

Day 3/today – FD
    Day 4/Thurs – NFD
    Day 5/Fri – FD

ALL CREDIT to those of you doing zero calorie fasting days! Although I often come in under 400 cals, I really take pleasure and find relief in those wonderful scrambled eggs that I eat! :0)

@sunshineaus
    Yes, I used to get very light headed after a FD and actually would momentarily black out after 2xFDs successively. I read on the forum that you need to eat something quite late in the evening to stop this.
    So I now really back-end my eating on a FD and I have a small piece of cheese last thing and I don’t suffer any more.

Hello all UK Co Down day 3 NFD and official weigh day 161.25lbs or 11.7 1/4 – going in right direction.

Now the challenge of NFD’s and the added challenge of going to Galway for the weekend – yikes! At the moment I feel strong but I know I crumble so easily. My OH is happy to skip breakfast with me so perhaps damage limitation but will I feel the same after a glass of wine? I will keep thinking of the million $/Β£ prize that is waiting for me.

Water intake going well – I drink my first glass and then set a timer on my phone an hour hence and do that through the day to keep reminding me.

I count a fast day as success if my calorie intake is anything from Zero to 800 – so don’t be too hard on yourselves if you have gone over the 500 (there is no magic in that number) and better counting it as a success and going forward than feeling – ‘I’ve blown it’.

@flourbaby lol if only – sadly not but a healthy, slim body is worth a million dollars/pounds – keep that in mind and it will be a reality. Do I detect a Jason Vale fan in the ginger shot you take? Hope the cold gets better soon – try Echinacea (A.Vogel is the one I use).

Second post Day 3
    Just to clarify for your fabulous spreadsheet pissupoosa
    day 1 FD
    Day 2&3 NFD
    My new job is going great, can’t possibly imagine how many steps I’ll get in a day now, even when I’m not walking I’m standing all day. It’s odd that I run and am active everyday anyway but I’ve found the first two days this week exhausting! I’m starting early so that probably adds to the tiredness, but I was in bed at 9.45pm on Monday!
    My NFD today went off the rails. I’m annoyed with myself but it’s not going to flow over into the rest of my week, tomorrow is a FD and I’ll carry it into Friday nights dinner again.

Day 3 Newcastle
    NFD
    It looks like I did not logg in to these pages so here I am!
    Not feeling too great about not weight loss infact increase.
    FD yesterday & really did stick to 500 even counted in my dried milk I use for my tea. Loads of Earl Grey/Jasmine & lemon water.
    Just got up the courage to enter my measurements. Worse than I thought…now I realise why clothes are tight!!!
    NFD today but will keep an eye on the amount.
    Still a crook from the muscle pull I did earlier this week so not able to get on the bike or go to keep fit which is another reason for not feeling too chipper.
    Next FD is Thursday? Anyone doing it as well?

Day 3 UK FD

Good start to May. After 1 FD and 1 NFD I’ve lost 1.1lb / 0.5kg. I’ve also started wearing the Fitbit my OH got me for Xmas, so no excuse for not getting my 10,000 steps in. The dogs love my attention to that bit!

UK Day 3 FD

Finished a 48 hour fast yesterday evening with about 500kcal meal. Fasting again today with black coffee. Trying hard to up the exercise too. Exercising in a fasted state, getting the fat burn turbo going, etc. πŸ™‚

I have decided to weigh daily just to keep my eye on the prize (high target of 73.9kg/162.9lb). Current weight is 77.6kg, so not to far to go before setting my next target. 14kg lost since I started last September is quite some weight when you lift it in the gym.

Having plateaued before and over Easter (despite some fasting efforts) I have learnt quite a lot really. I was determined to carry on the good losses of February and March, but slipped into fewer but longer fasts, but then eating the wrong things coming off them due to a sudden trigger to eat. And whoa! The Easter feasting was more carbs than I’d probable eaten since Christmas which was a nice blast, but unhelpful.

If I’m honest I also think long-term I could slip back into eating the wrong stuff (Pizza, KFC, chocolate, etc.) more easily than others report having fasted for about 6 months plus. It’s not to say that I don’t enjoy healthy meals, many of my fast day meals are very tasty and very filling. It’s more of a mental note that I think I will need to carry on doing at least 5:2 to maintain. Although, having said that, I have been really upping my fasting effort to lose more quickly than I was when doing 5:2, which has led to some feelings that I’m denying myself food, and thoughts that i need to treat myself on the few ‘normal’ eating days, which leads to overeating or eating too much of the wrong things. [Or am I being too hard on myself?].

When I hit my high-end weight target, my current thinking is to go back to 5:2 but being a wee bit more careful of TDEE and exercise regime on NFD. I’m not someone who will measure calories on NFDs; I will do it for a bit, but then just not do it. The simplicity of not eating on FDs, and then counting cals for one meal is why I’ve lost weight. So 4:3 may be more doable and successful to carry on loss at a more modest pace (towards 68/69kg) and ease myself into eating in a more controlled way on NFDs.

Any thoughts or comments from you experts would be appreciated.

Second post.
    Dont know what happened but I thought I had answered you, SunshineAus, but cannot see it here so must not have pressed submit.
    I also suffer with jet lag/slight hangover symtoms the day after. In fact I feel worse the next day than on the FD. This happened the last time I tried this diet & was the reason for stopping it.
    I also wake in the early hours with a headache dispite however much I have drunk.
    I am planning to do FD on Thursday. Has anyone started a list yet?
    The hubby is pushing me to stop this diet & try another due to me not losing the weight but will stick it out for now as I dont have the willpower to diet every day & the thought of it only being one day does keep me on the straight & narrow. Anyone else got opposition to content with?

Day3, Belfast, NFD
    My FD went ok yesterday…it was a bit difficult to start with but I got there. I made the tuna, bean and garlic salad recipe from the first 5:2 diet book. It’s amazing, a really big helping. Thoroughly enjoyed it and have taken the same for my lunch today…but with a bit of olive oil added to the dressing. Luxuries, eh?!

@coda – I hope you enjoy Galway. If the weather’s as good as we’ve been having up north it should be amazing.

@annnursekirk – yes,I’m doing a FD tomorrow…I’m sure there will be a group of pocketeers to help us along πŸ™‚

@goldensun – I’m in the same boat. I lost a good stone and a bit a couple of years ago and have gradually put it all back on. Back then I knew 5:2 should be a way of life/eating…and now I’ve realised that for me I need to incorporate this into my life, big style. It’s a habit, I suppose. Just something that I’ll get used to and feel better for it.

Good luck all FDers today!

@annnursekirk Don’t worry about day to day weight. As long as you fast and don’t over-eat when you feast the fat weight will eventually fall. It has to. Just being more hydrated can mask any day to day loss. Or exercising can make you retain water to help build muscles. So carry on. It definitely works.

@fivetwofan5252 – thanks for the advice – I’ll try the later meal option and some cheese – Yum!

Hope everyone’s Day 3 is going/has gone well πŸ™‚

Hi everyone!

Day 3, Houston USA, FD.

Recap of Day 2 (first FD of the week):
    Breakfast:
    – Black Coffee (1 cup)
    Lunch:
    – Green Salad (1 bowl)
    – Tuna (1 tin – 50gr)
    – Black Coffee (1 cup)
    Dinner:
    – Hard-boiled egg (1)
    – Mixed fruits (1 cup)
    Throughout the day:
    – Water (2 litres)
    – Chinese Tea (6 cups)

Yesterday I felt rather weak, with some mild headache. No exercise.

Will try FD again today, as I would like to see if I can do FD B2B.

Allie

Hi @johnnyr, by the sound of it you’ve done a great job with the weight loss since starting in September.

I was also finding my approach to food much easier on FDs over the past few weeks, probably because it was so strictly limited. On NFDs it was all I could think about. But I think with a bit of menu planning for the week and training my brain to “JUST SHUT UP!!” I should get a handle on it. I think our brains just need reprogrammed slightly, and I’m sure you’ve made a brilliant start.

For me, fast food and takeaways are a very very rare treat, maybe twice a year and usually for a big family get together. It’s just getting into the habit of opting for something which is healthier but just as tasty. I recommended the Hairy Dieters recipe books in the April thread…they do really tasty lower calorie versions of loads of takeaway dishes…chicken/prawn kormas, balti, burgers, lamb doner kebabs, chow mein. I’ve got the first two books by them and regularly dip in and out for inspiration.

Hope this helps.

Day 3 – UK – NFD

Thank you @Ciren and @coda for your advice. Yesterday’s fast day went really well and I am determined to make good choices today. Loving the forum and all the advice.

Day 3: Northumberland, UK: FD

Today was going to be NFD but due to a power cut I got an unexpected morning off work and managed to nip to the gym and as I’m not hungry yet I might as well go b2b. FD yesterday went well, comfortably under 500cals and resisted the urge to snack and fill the shortfall when I really wasn’t hungry. Lots of water and decaf black coffee seems to do the trick.
    Gorgeous day here.
    As Wednesday is my usual measurement day for the tracker:
    weight 82.2kg, waist 79cm, hips 103cm, bust 100cm

Day 3– Colorado USA– NFD

Yesterday was a moderately successful FD. Calories over 500, but around 800 total. So as @coda advises, instead of beating myself up, I’ll count it as a winning day & move on. Next FD I will aim for under 500.

OH did not join me on FD as he originally promised. At dinner time I was not very hungry, but thought some protein would make a filling snack. So fixed a small plate of a few cheese & summer sausage slices. He kept saying, “you’re eating! That’s not Fasting.” No matter how many times I explained that I can have 500 calories & what I was doing was fine, he kept arguing I wasn’t supposed to eat anything. Argh!!

It’s annoying & exhausting. I can’t understand why he makes such a big deal out of what I am or am not eating!! I remind him all the time, “you are not my food police.” It’s honestly none of his business what I choose to eat. It feels very controlling. Pondering how best to proceed…..

Day 3 | Sydney Australia | NFD

I want to celebrate a small non-scale victory. I’ve been doing HIIT classes at the gym for about a month now. I haven’t been consistent with going though, some weeks it’s just 1 day, others it’s 3 days… anyway today I felt much fitter today for the first time! So it’s working! I was still exhausted but did more reps than I’d normally do, and I can almost do a proper Burpie! – I’m not a small girl so getting down and up fast is hard for me.

Anyway. I’ve only really started back on the fast diet this month so no weight loss yet but happy with my fitness πŸ™‚

I was pretty good with my food today too! Really for my FD tomorrow

Day 3……Florida….FD

Well, the hole is back and I slipped right through the darn thing again! I find myself a bit stressed this week and my mind is running a million miles an hour…. So, here I go again, down the only road I’ve ever know!

JohnyR…… my friend, you are not alone. I plateau in March and it carried in to April. I fell of the wagon, slipped through the hole in the base of the wagon more times than not. I happen to love food, the good stuff as well as the bad. I must say, it is super easy to eat the bad day in day out because society sees it as a staple in our diet. In my little town, in a one mile stretch of one of the major roads, there are 17 not good for you places to eat, this includes 5 pizza places, 3 ice cream shops and the rest fast food like Mc Donald’s which actually there are 2. That’s in one mile!
    So, it’s easy to slip back into what didn’t work. Here’s the thing though which I think many of us enjoy so much about 5:2, so you slip, well tomorrow is a new day and we fast again. Or like me, you attempt until it sticks.
    Yes, I lost 4lbs in April but only because I kept attempting to do a fast. If all be told, I only really fast like once a week, all the others were just attempt with many a slip up.
    But we’re here, we’re trying, so although our road maybe a bit longer than others, we will still reach our destination. Plus, I always believe the traveling is more fun than the destination anyways!

thank you for the kind words about having to deal with the mother. The way, I look at this is God plan, I must follow it. Plus, I learned a long time ago not to allow her words or actions to affect me because if I do that then I bring it home to my own kids and I refuse to do that!

Okay, we’ll work I must a go!

Chin up Princess…… your crown is slipping!

Day 3, Germany, NFD

Day 3 Tas Aus FD

Had a great fd today. Wasn’t even hungry most of the day. So had a really light meal later when hunger did set in. Am doing a b2b today and tomorrow.

@Deliska — Way to go sticking with your HIT workouts at the gym! Better fitness is wonderful!! I’m proud of you; I still cannot knock out decent Burpies. Those are tough!

@bert1802 and @johnnyr — ooh, fast food. My biggest weakness: McD’s, Wendy’s & chick-fil-a. Oh my!

I had lost my weight & mistakenly thought I had my problem licked. Turns out, I couldn’t go back to old habits or I’d end up with my same old results (too much of me!)

Bert I like your approach of not giving up on trying.

In March & April, I attempted so many FDs but never made it the full 36 hours. Unfortunately, I let that get me down. From now on instead of beating myself up, I wIll reframe it as Bert suggests into a “partial win!”
    For example: Look, I made it 20 hours., Yay for me!

@pissupoosa — thank you for explaining your name. Cute story! Love the crazy cat handle.

@basyjames. — how wonderful your DH fasts together with you! That kind of support must really help bolster resolve! Good luck on success to you both!

@saffy420 & @wellme — think of all the calories burnt running to the loo!

@scs — those evil jelly beans! I feel your pain.
    I gave up sugar over 2 years ago & any time I allow a treat, it’s like fighting off an avalanche! A few Skittles or StarBurst or candy corn, and I’m wrestling the sugar-dragon for days afterward. It’s almost easier for me to simply say NO to sugar consistently than to re-engage that dragon!

Day 3 – USA – NFD

Day 3 UK NFD – aiming for a good day ready to take on a fast again on Thursday
    Thanks for the explanation @pissupoosa I’ve always wondered 🐱

Hi @happymargo would it help if your OH read the book? I would say a lot of people think if you eat it’s not a fast. Lots of people are too hard on themselves (Ciren2 especially springs to mind). They don’t look for the positives on what they have achieved and how far they have come. It’s not the be all end all, this is for life and life is a journey of ups and downs. Make the most of when things go to plan and just keep trying when things are a little bumpy. remember – be better not perfect!

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 2,272 total)

You must be logged in to reply.