Mad March ….

This topic contains 146 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Merryme 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 47 posts - 101 through 147 (of 147 total)

• Magicarp, Sorry you didn’t get the cake and bunch of flowers I sent you at the end there – Smilies just don’t want to work for me! Dragonfly, your Smilies work ok – any ideas?

Hiya magicarp….. I am soooo pleased I made you laugh…. I actually made myself laugh when I re-read my short post!!

I was absolutely starving and could have eaten a scabby horse at the time of my post 🙂

Thankfully I managed to hold out until 1pm and then had an egg and ham salad. Lots of herbal tea throughout the day and a nice home made soup for tea.

Thanks for cheering me up today!!

Have a fab birthday tomorrow

Hi Upagumtree, thanks for the suggestion. I will have a look through the posts on that forum and hope some one has asked a similar question.

Hi Ladies, got through another fast and just under 500 calories, still can’t get enough water in me.
    So nice to pop in here and share feels like your not alone on this journey. Well done ladies on another day down.
    Happy birthday Magicarp !

Morning everyone!

I fasted yesterday, I don’t seem to get that hungry on fast days, but I do get cold. I sat watching TV last night hugging a hot water bottle. Whatever works 🙂

Happy Birthday Magicarp. Have a lovely day!

Friday at last! Although it took me three hours to get into work today, a journey that usually takes 30 minutes. There was a bad accident on the motorway 🙁 someone bearing the brunt of Friday 13th.

Anyway, my fast yesterday went so well, I was really proud of myself. Had no alcohol at all and didnt go over 500 cals 🙂

Upagrumtree, you take care of yourself, high blood pressure is a worry. We sound like twins though, I love salt and prefer savoury to sweet and I LOVE wine and G & T hehe!

Hope your tummy’s better today Magicarp.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone and keep marching on 😉

Feel for you Dragon Fly in the nightmare Manchester traffic, been there, done that. With you 100% preferring savoury, wine and G&t’s, we could be triplets!

Upagumtree, we did Abu Simbel by coach, magical watching the sun rise over the desert. Don’t miss the Cairo trip, ours was in a teeny tiny plane. Well worth it, wouldn’t have missed it for the world. Enjoy!!

Looking forward to a nice glass of vino tinto tonight (or 3) with our tea 🙂

Have a great weekend!

Upagumtree – great trip for you up the Nile – never made it to Egypt but lived in the middle east a number of years ago. The trip to SA is one to come off my bucket list! and yes, a week in Krugar game reserve and time in Cape Town too. Feel really lucky and just want to be fit enough to enjoy it.
    Am not good on long flights but will speak to doc about Valium. Hopefully will sleep through it! Blew FD last night with a bottle of wine with friends. My body is just not used to it now, although I still enjoy a G & T. Have a great weekend all

I too have a bucket list Thirdtimelucky so we are even more twin-like – although, given comments from Dragonfly and Applepie above re wine and g&ts we are quadruplets!

Had a vg 350 cal fast on Thursday and weighed in at 9st 10 again yesterday morning so after 3 days ‘normal eating’ I should expect to weigh 9st 12 on my official weigh-in on Monday – the usual 1 lb weekly loss, but let’s wait and see!

In an effort to get down to as near 9 1/2 stone as poss by my holiday (only 3 weeks away) I thought I might try 4:3 this coming week. My Thursday fast day will be thrown off kilter as I have to attend a corporate event with my OH (buffet and wine!!) and I can’t move it to Friday as have a Golf Club Cheese & Wine (even more wine! … and heaven forbid, my favourite food – cheese!!!) So thought this an ideal week to try 4:3, fasting Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. There, I’ve said it and documented in this thread so I daren’t stray! That’s what I love about the forum – helps you stick to your mini goals lest you feel embarrassed having to admit you’ve cheated and let yourself down. Never tried fasting on a weekend day so it will be challenging!

Applepie, checked with the tour operator that the Abu Simbel flight is not in a teeny- weeny plane as I would be terrified – told is a normal size plane. Thirdtimelucky, do try to avoid Valium for your flight to SA – ask your doc about other natural ways to relax and sleep.

I have golf tomorrow, followed by the Tesco weekly shop and then the lovely Sunday night telly (but I am so missing ‘Call the Midwife’ already) –
    so won’t check in again until Monday when I look forward to reading about all the Monday losses!

Enjoy what’s left of the weekend Mad Marchers!

Up

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I have to confess although I didnt have much food, I did go a bit overboard on the wine. I really must stop that. Again its just a habit I have to break.

Not feeling in the mood for work today, bad case of the Monday blues. BUT I’m fasting which makes me happy 😀

Have a good day everyone, and stay strong! xxx

The scales have stayed the same for me this week, could have something to do with the kebab and chips, plus mucho vino at weekend. Gives my skin chance to catch up with my weight loss so it’s all good.

Dragon Fly I am fasting too today, then tomorrow liquids only. That should move the scales a bit for next week.

There’s a big St Patricks day parade here tomorrow, lots of guiness will be consumed, but not by me!

Happy fasting

Hi everyone and thank you so much for the birthday wishes. I did eventually have a lovely birthday but the tummy troubles came back on Thursday night to haunt me, while I was at the cinema with my mum! We were watching the 2nd best marigold hotel and I wonder if I got psychosomatic Deli belly!! Anyway, I don’t know about fast diet but I was bloody fast at finding the loos! We postponed my evening out to Saturday and it was lovely, scallops, duck and posh pecan pie. So I need to get back on the diet because I was going to do my Monday fast today but I’m feeling really mardy, which is northern for the Monday Blues like you Dragonfly. I think it was an emotional weekend with being mothers day too and talking to my son on skype who is living in Ireland at the moment. Miss him soooo much.

I have had a bowl of shreddies and will be having stew for tea so may not be too bad and then I’ll do my Wednesday fast as normal.

Upagumtree, sorry to hear about your mum, I hope you got the support you needed. I do work for a charity still called the RMBI, it’s one of the masonic charities. We do have homes but I’m more a sort of traveling adviser.I’m missing call the midwife too, thought the last episode was a bit brutal though. Have you read the book? I can recommend it.

Well done Beeps on getting through the day, glad you didn’t have to resort to the scabby horse! Applepie, you must have some real determination to do a fast and then a liquids only. TTFH all.

Hi Ladies, i also pigged out on the weekend and drank far too much wine, really was mad at myself for doing it even had a family bag of maltesers ( greedy cow i am ) anyhow i weighed in this morning and i had dropped 2 pounds go figure.. so i decided heck it might creep on in the week so i did a fast today just to play safe. Might even make it a 4:3 this week my trips are coming around fast. Magicarp glad you had a nice birthday. made me smile when you said you was being mardy i say that all the time where are you from ?

I know the word mardy too, I’m from up north 😛

I was struggling so much yesterday with that time of the month, so fast day didnt really go as planned. Trying again today .. I’m not being too hard on myself for it, because this time is always the hardest when I want to eat every carb I can get my hands on lol.

Trying to do liquids only until dinner, and then soup, and maybe a low cal G & T just before bed.

Have a gread day everyone. Magicarp hope your tummy is better now!

Stay strong!

Haha, Socr8v, you made me laugh too with your maltesers! Glad they made you lose 2lbs. I live in Chesterfield but I’m a born and bred Sheffield lass so quite often a mardy bum!

Dragon fly, we are all allowed to be mardy when the curse of eve is upon us, it really is the toughest time. Good luck with the day and the low cal G&T. I’m feeling good today so hopefully will be a calm eating day! No feeding frenzies in the kitchen but I am making a lavender cake for my team meeting this week and I will lick the bowl.

Fasting tomorrow so need to keep focused on the the benefits of fasting.

Bonne journee mes amis xx

Hi Ladies so i got through another fast day today thats 2 in a row is it safe to do 3 in a row or do you think i should split them ?

Oooh Lavender cake sounds delicious!

I’ve really not much to say today, struggling a bit this week (I have a history of food issues/problems) I’ll be fine and come out of it, just a bit rough this week :/

Stay strong everyone! Its a non-fast day for me today, although dont really feel like eating at all 🙁 I probably will in the end though.

Happy Wednesday Mad Marchers! Half way to weekend!!

Good Morning Mad Marchers, had a busy week so far so only catching up with postings now. Official weigh in on Monday morning saw a 2lb loss which was better than expected. I had a good fast on Monday and Tues morning the scales read 9st 8 which I found incredible but then figured I hadn’t drunk enough. Anyway it spurred me on to have a semi fast and I consumed around 700 cals. This morning I was 9st 10 and am embarking on fast no 2 of my 4:3 week. So Socr8tv, I will almost be doing three in a row too – we can compare results tomorrow – I am sure it is ok to do short-term.

I have an investments review at the bank at 12.30 so that should take my mind off food for an hour! I plan to have soup and salad around 3 pm as I have Pilates at 6 pm so can’t eat too close to that. Usually we have a main meal at 8 pm on a Wed after Pilates (my OH is in same class), so it will be interesting to see how I cope while hubby tucks into a two course meal! Think I’ll leave him to it and take off to bed with a couple of Ryvita and a banana!

There seems to have been large quantities of wine/vino consumed over last weekend, and even a mention of a low-cal g&t … on a fast day!! I am polishing my halo as I have had no wine or G&ts since last Wed (but only because I am cutting back to help BP and because I have two wine-laden social events this week) – updates later! Today I am consuming vast quantities of Adam’s Ale!

Magicarp, You have slipped in a few French phrases in posts – do you have a French connection? No, I haven’t read the book Call the Midwife – might look out for it to take on my cruise. Re the last episode, I thought it quite poignant when the doc told the morning sickness sufferer that “the ingredient in the ‘magic pill’ was Thalidomide”! Now I’m not usually one for getting negative, but it struck me what if 50 years down the line there is a parallel comment in a future book/film like “the ‘magic diet’ created in 2012 called The Fast Diet”. It does concern me a little that we are basically guinea pigs trying this out, not just for weight loss, but for potential health benefits to promote longer living.

Up

Hi Dragonfly, you sound a bit glum, hope you feel better later, I think the whole diet idea, however scientifically sound as this one is; can have a very negative effect on our emotions. I have found Gillian Riley to have some fantastic advice about this. I would recommend anyone looking at her website http://eatingless.com/ or reading her book. She is very knowledgeable and caring. I have thought about giving up on this every day since I started and I’ve only managed two proper fast days out of what should have been six. I’m supposed to be fasting today but have started my period and so I will be having two high protein meals today to help me cope with the pain, chicken salad for lunch and steak salad for dinner. But, what I have found is that I can go longer than I thought without needing food and I’ve stopped looking for snacks every two minutes. Yesterday for example I wasn’t hungry until lunchtime so I didn’t eat till then and had a very small lunch but a roast dinner in the evening. This meant I had a very healthy day and my calories were around 1400 which is my TDEE. So I will keep PRACTICING my fasts every Monday and Wednesday and keep observing how I do rather than beat myself up about not being a successful dieter. Gillian says that the more you focus on how you look the more you are likely to fail because it is a false ideal. Focusing on the health benefits and being more controlled and relaxed around food are the real goals and I am trying to instill this message in my mind. I have many other fantastic achievements which I can measure success by. I know for instance that I am a really good mum, wife daughter, sister and friend; I’m good at my job and I have helped a lot of people. I am sure that all of us on here can say pretty much the same about ourselves and these are what we should focus on. So, hopefully spreading the love!

What I’m not so good at, yet, Upagumtree is French. I am having lessons as I would like to live there for a while in the future when my youngest has flown the nest. My husband and I have fallen in love with the Languedoc region and are looking for a property there. We are developing our hobbies for our retirement, he wants to paint and I have been on a stone carving course which a friend dragged me along to, it was fab and I discovered I was quite good at it. Can just see myself chipping away in the sun, next to a vineyard with a glass of vino at hand.

That bit on call the midwife Upagumtree was a shock wasn’t it? I don’t think we will have that worry though, there is some very sound science about fasting and we are not ingesting some nasty chemical that a big pharma company lied about!!

Good luck with your financial review, when is your cruise? I love getting my book list ready for a holiday, thinking of a cruise I recently read a book called Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes. Synopsis. Australia, 1946. 650 brides are departing for England to meet the men they married in wartime. But instead of the luxury liner they were expecting, they find themselves aboard an aircraft carrier, alongside a thousand men. Brill book as it’s based on real events if you like that sort of thing. I’m always looking for good book recommendations so let me know. Also keeps the mind off food! Food for the brain eh?

Anyway folks, I have gone on long enough, best wishes for a good day.
    A bientot.

Thanks magicarp, I’ve had a look at that website, that is SO helpful. I really appreciate your support. I’m just having a low calorie hot chocolate and am feeling much better than earlier 🙂 x

Good luck achieving your goals for today everyone. Had a reasonably good day yesterday despite my low mood. I feel much better today, which is a relief.

I had chicken for dinner and had an early night. I cant believe we’re almost three quarters through March already! We really need to start a thread for April!!!!

Stay positive!

Good morning all, feeling better today after a reasonable nights sleep. Night before got about three hours. Anyone any solutions for a good nights sleep. One good sleep a month is about all I can manage, been that way for years. Doc won’t give me anything, not that I want drugs anyway, but getting desperate. Thought when I retired things would improve but they have got worse. Tried just about every product and trick in the book. Thursday is FD for me, just had my porridge and berries and dinner tonight will be Mimi’s chicken stir fry. Off to Pilates soon. I find the busier I am the less I think about food. Good luck to all and don’t give up!

Started a post and checked back on something, and it disappeared! So annoying, as I really havent time to write it all out again!

Third time lucky, sorry you’ve not been sleeping well. Perhaps you could try something herbal? Kalms Nights or Nytol I’ve heard are quite good.

Good luck with the day everyone. Friday at last!

It’s fish and chips Friday for us, on a tray watching TV, I intend to enjoy every last mouthful.
    That book sounds just my cup of tea magicarp, I will look out for it. I would highly recommend the book I am reading at the moment “A Singular Hostage” by Thalassa Ali.

Have a great weekend everyone. Weigh in for me on Monday.

Checking back in…. Happy to report my blood pressure medication has been halved. I’ve got a yucky cold though, with lots of coughing and feeling very blah, so lots of bed rest this last week. Am sticking to fast days but eating is all over the place during the other days at the moment. Just concentrating on getting well as I’m due to fly out on holidays in another week. So, my weight is only down 300gms since my little BP drama on the 11 th, but on the flip side, so good to be going away on holidays a size lower than before

Hi All, sorry I haven’t posted for a couple of days, I forgot to say that I was away with work on Thurs/Friday. That meant that I was eating out two nights as I was out again last night with friends reunion. I have tried to be sensible but I did have quite a bit of wine last night. The result is I have put a pound back on. I’m hoping this may be just a blip. I have a meeting tomorrow where lunch is provided but am supposed to be on my fast so I’m hoping to get away with only picking at bits as it will be a buffet. I’m dairy intolerant so this often gets me out of eating cakes n biscuits that are offered without causing offense. Food politics!! I feel a bit of a fraud on here as I’ve only managed three fasts in the whole of March! But I have lost a couple of pounds and kept them off because I think I’ve just been much more aware and have stuck to having just two meals a day. I haven’t felt like I have been missing out, so onwards and downwards.

Glad you are feeling more positive Dragonfly. Fich and chips sound lovely Applepie, we’re having roast beef and Yorkshires today followed by apple crumble! May undo all my good work. Glad to hear you can lower blood pressure meds Merryme and I hope your cold is cleared for your hols. You’ve done great to be a size lower. I’ll check in again tomorrow and let you know how my buffet strategy went. Good luck all xx

Good Morning Mad Marchers

Only one week to go to reach our March goals!!

Sorry not posted for a few days but been tied up with several social events. I had a disastrous day on Thurs – attended a corporate web launch with my OH in the lovely Le Monde here in Edinburgh. Turned up at 5 pm for champagne, followed by open bar until buffet at 7 pm – I was starving by then as had eaten nothing apart from a lunchtime sandwich. Result? Absolutely legless on leaving at 8.30!! I fell in the gutter while trying to get into the taxi! Never been in such a state since my twenties! My OH had to lift me into the cab. Got home, straight to bed and didn’t wake until midday when I discovered numerous cuts and bruises from my fall! My explanation to my OH for my dreadful behaviour was “I’ve been fasting for 3 days on the trot”. Didn’t get much sympathy, but it’s been an eye opener for me – just can’t do alcohol anymore when on this diet!!

I then had to recover for a Wine & Cheese at 7 pm Friday evening. I walked there – needed the exercise & fresh air – and managed a soft drink followed by a small red wine with copious amounts of cheese, fresh fruit and delicious canapés. Saturday was supposed to be my 4th fast of the week (having fasted Mon, semi-fasted Tue and fasted Wed) but I felt so weak I just couldn’t manage to fast. Sunday, I played the last Winter golf competition followed by a lovely two course meal where I opted for the low calorie choice of salmon with crisp seasonal veg followed by the high calorie cream dessert. Result? Official weigh-in this morning showed a loss of 3lb which is the largest weekly loss achieved over the 10 weeks of 5:2 ing. I am now only 2 lb from my interim goal of 9st 7 by my hols in 2 weeks time. This should be doable unless I hit the dreaded plateau which can occur especially after a rapid loss. I don’t think I’ll try 4:3 for a while as I don’t want to lose weight too quickly.

Magicarp, love your recent posts – you have a really interesting life … and retirement goals! Stone carving – wow! and future life in France!! Bonne Chance! (I have French relatives on both sides of my family so know a bit about the language and the country).

ThirdTimeLucky, sorry about your lack of sleep – my normal response would be have some supper eg toast and cheese but that doesn’t work when dieting!

Glad to have you back Merryme – good to hear you are on the mend but sorry you’ve now got a yucky cold leading up to your hols. Great news re your medication.

Last but not least Dragonfly, glad you are in a better frame of mind now and look forward to you setting up a new thread for April in approx one week from now. You have certainly set a challenge for our little group and the results so far are encouraging – weight loss achieved (yes, some more than others) but importantly positive thinking all round.

Keeeeeeeep loooooosing Mad Marchers!

Up

Ohhh, Upagumtree ……… legless, poor you, lucky you just had a few bruises. We should all watch the alcohol after fasting. Well done on the 3lb loss, mind you, you earned it this week.

The scales stayed the same for me this week. Sorry to let the Mad Marchers down but after losing so much in January and February I had to slow it down. But back on it now, I am looking for a 3lb loss this week. 9st 7lb now, still well over a stone to go to reach my ideal weight of 8st 3lb.

Happy Fasting!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Upagumtree, what a giggle (although I’m sure it didn’t feel like that at the time) We all have the times when we have gone a bit too far or drunk on an empty stomach, I passed out once at a black tie do and my OH was a little embarrassed, but I did wait until I got in the lift to pass out. He and some stranger dragged me unceremoniously to our room! I didn’t think I had drunk that much and when I passed out again a week later and went to the docs it turned out I had a very low blood count and no iron! Vindicated! Hope your bruises have cleared up now. BTW I don’t think my life is that interesting but yours sounds full and fun.
    Well I was very good yesterday at the buffet. There was chilli, rice and lots of nice salad so I filled my plate with salad and just added a little chilli and rice, this meant no-one noticed and I probably only had about 300cals. I had a salad for my tea and some melon. So I have lost the two pounds that went on over the weekend. I am sticking to attempting a fast evey monday and wednesday but not beating myself up if i give in. I am sticking to may two meals a day rule too and this will give me the health benefits of fasting as it means about a 16 hour fast.
    Well done up to now Applepie, you’ve done great and have not let anyone down. I was feeling a bit like that on here with others sticking well to fast days when I regularly fail them but I’m determined not to think like that now. Even if I go over the 500cals on a fast day I usually get way past lunch time before I gave in but it’s still a little achievement I think. I was thinking of giving up completely but the support on here and everyone’s honesty has helped me to keep it up and have another go. Fast day tomorrow! Lets see how I get on. Good wishes to you all.

Hey what’s (not) happening here! This thread has been very bare for a while! Where are all you Mad Marchers? Dragonfly, our leader, what’s happening?

Many thanks Applepie and Magicarp for your sympathies on my little accident. Similar to your tale Magicarp, at least I was out of the building when my legs gave out – a fact which my OH is ever so grateful for as he would never have lived it down had any of his business associates witnessed the scene. Yes, looking back was a giggle, we both laugh about it now!

Well done Magic (I’m now going to call you that for brevity) on your restraint at the buffet. I am now recovering from a sumptuous buffet lunch today – lasted from 12 noon until 5 pm! This was a ten year anniversary of my Probus Ladies Club (this stands for Professional and Business retired ladies). We had champagne at 12, followed by pick your own starters of …. Drool … Prawns, smoked salmon, olives, fresh fruit; Next course, choice of Carvery of the usual meats, but I opted for the venison stew (very low fat) ; Puddings were to die for if you have a sweet tooth, which I don’t have, but anyway managed a lovely sticky pavlova accompanied by a lemon cheesecake! Yumm! Even after my horrendous last Thursday couldn’t refuse the wine which went with it – but only had two glasses! Walked home afterwards (20 mins brisk walk) and didn’t fall down once!

Result?, I am in my bed penning this having missed my Pilates as I was too stuffed to go there (lest I farted throughout! … Sorry for rudeness! ) But boy, I had a great day, and looking forward to my fast tomorrow!

Let’s hear it from you all Mad Marchers!

I am still Up!

(More on that later!)

Hi upagumtree and all. Been feeling a bit fed up so not posted for a while, don’t want to be negative. FD today so am hoping for a better result on the scales tomorrow. Obviously hit a plateau and wondering now if I will hit my target before hols, only five weeks today. I have a pair of lovely white trousers to fit into before then and determined not to buy any more. Your trip must be iminent now? Can’t wait to get some warmth in my bones. Hail yesterday, snow today. I love living in the hills for the view, but the weather sucks.
    BBC 1 – 9pm The truth about CALORIES following on from the sugar prog last week. This should be an eye opener. Off to Pilates (the farting comes on the way home after session) thank goodness
    Good luck to all and DONT GIVE UP!

Ooh ThirdTime, you sound a bit down! The dreaded plateau! Have you tried cutting 300 cals from your TDEE on non-fast days eg cut out lunch, or do a liquids only fast? Five weeks is still plenty time to shift a few pounds.

Snow!! Scotland is made up of many micro-climates – I am only about 60 miles south from you and on the same coast but we had a beautiful sunny, warm day yesterday – and I couldn’t take advantage of it as was indoors all afternoon stuffing my face at the buffet! It’s another sunny day today now but was lashing rain early morning so no golf. Instead I got the suitcases out and started on packing for hols (a week on Monday – yikes! And still so much to do).

Tee-hee re your post-Pilates comment! I try to avoid food for up to four hours before Pilates otherwise I get indigestion or wind, especially during the lying on front exercises!

Will watch “The Truth about Calories” tonight. Missed the one on Sugar (lots of talk about it at the golf club) so will watch on Catch-up.

Hope all who are fasting today stick to it – the weekend is not too far off!

Up

Hi Mad Marchers, checking in. How are you all going. No lurking now while we’re almost at the end of March.

My 2 weeks of my cold, 1 of those in bed, is almost over. Came good 2 days ago, thankfully just in the nick of time for me to be able to go on holiday with OH to New Zealand for 4 weeks. Oh how wonderful it is to be able travel with those kgs off that I’ve lost. Flight was today, from Sydney to Christchurch, and OH.and I split a main meal, a green salad, and a dessert(pudding) OH with 1 glass of wine, and me with sparkling water. Very comfortable way to celebrate the beginning of our holiday, for our 40 th wedding Anniversary in a few weeks. No kgs lost during my cold, but staying steady, which is great. Very rushed packing, but we made it. Now we’re here in the land of Middleearth, and what an amazingly beautiful place it is. Tomorrow, we’ll be checking out how Christchurch is recovering from it’s earthquake 4 yrs ago, before we head off by car.

Don’t give up Marchers, we can do this.
    Cheers,
    Merry

Will check as I can with wifi availability maybe very differing.

Hi all, yes upagumtree , I fill in calories on myfitnesspal religiously. Their TDEE for me is 1200 cals. 350 less than FD tracker. I try to stick to 1200 but if I go over I don’t beat myself up. Had a great dinner out last night with friends, over ate, over drank, but have fitted in another fast day today to compensate . That will be 4:3 for this week. Just had a shock! Bought two packs of my favourite throat sweets and I eat about 5 a day. Had a scratchy throat for weeks after that horrible winter virus. Worked out that my 5 sweets a day total 156 cals and 30grms of sugar!!! This could be the reason I’m stuck, I haven’t been counting them in. Yikes – they are good quality herbal ones too!!! Oh well, once these have gone I won’t be buying any more. It’s all this hidden stuff that is causing the problems.
    Merry me, glad you could make your trip to NZ. another one on my bucket list. Enjoy Middle Earth and watch out for those Orks.

Hi Ladies had a bad weekend last week ate and drank way to much but still down 1 pound should have been more. This weekend major cravings for chocolate, willpower straight out the window so mad at myself, maltesers last night mini eggs tonight actually feel sick from them. I feel like a greedy bitch got to get my act together my trips are coming round fast and i know i will be ticked off if i’m not down. Going to try harder for April ! Hope you are all having a great weekend !

Hi everyone, so sorry that I have not posted in a couple of days, I’ve had a very busy couple of days with family staying and going out etc. They’ve just left, phew!!A very excitable, loud but lovely three year old niece, but, guess what? they will be back next weekend along with my son who will be home from Ireland for a few days. Can’t wait to see him. So, Upagum (agree with brevity) you are right to point out our absence. Hoping our leader is ok.
    Your buffet sounds like it was fab. Merryme, what a great trip you’re having, I would quite fancy seeing middle earth, how is the food in New Zealand?
    Socr8v, sounds like you are being too hard on yourself. Have you looked at Gillian Riley’s website which I posted before? http://eatingless.com/

So, now to my diet progress, I didn’t manage a full fast last week but did do the 16/8 regime and found this pretty easy. But! I didn’t loose any weight. I have also registered an extra two pounds after last night’s dinner and wine, doh!I think this will be gone by tomorrow though as that’s what usually happens. This would mean that I have taken a month to lose 3lbs. Not a great success but I think I feel less bothered by it than I used to be. I will continue with my 16/8 and try and achieve a proper fast next week. May need to step it up this week to prevent easter weekend damage.I will keep you posted. Good luck all

Just been watching QI on telly, so greeting you now with Goooood evening, good evening, good evening, good evening!!!! Not a Stehphen Fry fan? … ok!

Anyway, great to hear from all. Magic, your heart sounds like it’s going to burst in anticipation of your lovely 6 ft 4 son’s visit from Ireland – so happy for you and hope you have a lovely Easter weekend, and perhaps he’ll notice those pounds you’ve shed since last seeing you!

Merry, glad you’ve made it to NZ – what a lovely long holiday you have lined up! – looking forward to your updates from Middlearth!

ThirdTime, been speaking to my OH who is a great Joe Pilates aficionado – thought, since you do Pilates you might find this useful for your sleep problem: http://pilates.about.com/od/faq/qt/Pilates-For-Better-Sleep.htm.

An update on my health – had doc’s appointment Friday for results of my BP home monitoring and bloods etc, (actually had appt last Tues but was postponed till Fri as doc was ill – docs are not allowed to be ill!!) Must have burned thousands of calories in stress lead up to delayed Fri appt. Results were mostly as expected (but also some better than expected ). I have above normal BP so now on one tablet per day medication for starters. Also my cholesterol is a bit high on 6 (but most of it is “good” cholesterol which is not so bad … Whatever the heck that means! So don’t need statins … “yet”. Told her about 5:2, my weight loss so far and hopes of improved health. Since I hadn’t had my blood checked at beginning of 5:2 ing she couldn’t comment on whether it was doing me good but agreed now we have some numbers will be interesting to see if the numbers change down the line (I get the feeling docs are unwilling as yet to comment on this diet – She recommended the Meditteranean Diet to help cholesterol). The good results were my blood sugar, kidney and liver functions are all normal (never been abnormal) – so there’s no change there but great to hear no deterioration there given my age, BP and liking for food and alcohol!! I’m afraid that’s me ‘captured’ now by NHS and will be subjected to regular tests/doc appointments from now on – now feeling like a little old lady – but must look on the positives of it all – things are being monitored and hopefully will be kept under control and I am no longer a ‘head in sand’ person ignoring my ageing body! I must here apologise to any overseas readers who might think I am being unappreciative of our wonderful, free, yet overburdened UK NHS service.

One service I do pay for is Dental – and afraid I will have to make an emergency appt tomorrow. Today while golfing a friend gave me a fruit gum which promptly sucked out a crown! Need that seeing to before off to Egypt next Monday! (Strangely never had a fear of dentists – probably down to my not having a sweet tooth, hence at my advanced age still got a full set of reasonably white gnashers – give or take a few crowns!)

Dragonfly, I do hope you are ok – concerned not heard from you in a while.

Tomorrow is my official weigh in so will post again then.

I remain Up

Hi all Mad Marchers.
    Here are my March results. Not a dramatic loss, but still good considering how much I lost in Jan / Feb. On 2/3/15 I was 136.8lbs, today I am 130.8lbs, so in March I have said goodbye and good riddance to 6 big fat pounds. Yess!

It will be interesting to see our total loss.

Have a good day everyone, we are off to the beach.
    x

Good morning from Canada, my official weigh in this morning i was down another 2 pounds so 8 pounds total lost in March. This weekend went way better than last weeks thanks magicarp for the link, i was a lot more focused this weekend did not even have a drink.

Looking forward to April and hopefully losing another 8 to 10 pounds

Applepie what i wouldn’t give to be on the beach right now lucky bugger i woke up to snow this morning bloody sick of it supposed to be the last we will see !

Have a great week !

Hi Mad Marchers

The end of March is nigh … and the end of the Mad March March! Where will we go from here? I am happy to continue on this thread until I reach my goal, but perhaps some of you regular posters would like to set up another thread with another challenge?

Today is my official weigh-in so will, reluctantly give my results for March today. I say reluctantly as, shock/horror I am UP a pound from last week!! Last Monday I was sure I would lose my usual pound this week or worst case scenario stay the same! What a difference a week makes! Although I did two good fasts I had many excesses with my sumptuous mid-week buffet and TWO M&S Dine-Ins (rich mains, puddings and strong red wine) over Sat and Sun – Note to self “M&S is bad for me – I really must ignore their temptations”. I also missed two of my three golf mornings and a Pilates class… No wonder I am up!

Here are my March results:

Mon 2 March: 10 st 3 (143 lbs)
    Mon 30 March: 9 st 10 (136 lbs)
    Total loss: 7 lbs

I feel that result isn’t technically accurate since I had a “heavy weigh-in” on my start day 2 March due to water retention – so if I am being honest with myself, a 5lb loss is nearer the mark!

Since tomorrow is still March, and I am fasting today, I will weigh in again and hopefully be able to post a loss !

Applepie and Soc great losses for March! That’s both of you on above-average losses for the 4 week period! Envious of you at the beach today Applepie, it’s raining and cold here today – however this time next week I’ll be in 30+ degrees in Luxor! Sorry you’ve got yet more snow Soc, just keep thinking about YOUR upcoming hols!

I am certainly “UP” today (but feeling DOWN)

Hi All. Upagum, I love your posts, you always make me smile on way or another. Sorry to hear the NHS have you in the net bu maybe with the continued fasting it won’t be for long. At least you are not on the dreaded statins! So many things slowly coming out about the problems they may cause. I read one scientist report who said he believed they caused diabetes, particularly in women! I can’t believe what happened with your tooth, I hope it gets fixed before you go away. My husband lost a filling this year when we were in America wasn’t in any pain thankfully as he had root canal. Anyway, you have done great with the diet. It’s pretty impressive to lose 5-7lbs when you have also had those great social events isn’t it?

Soc and Applepie, wow! you’ve both lost half a stone. That is great going. I’m jealous of your beach weather Apple but not your snow Soc. Hope it does soon bugger off. Mild here but a little wet. However all my bulbs are coming up and the cherry blossom looks fab.

Anyway, here is the big news, I’m on track for a500cal day! Just had some celery soup and will be having a small bowl of stew for tea. I’m going to give most of the meat to them so I’ll be mainly having veg. Feels good and am motivated by your success. I have still only lost 3lb but it’s the right direction. As for April. I’m happy to join a new thread or stay put. A new thread could give us an extra incentive. Would need all to come along though. Not sure what we’d call it, April foolers, April Shower? Suggestions? TTFN xx

OMG sorry I’ve not been on here for a while. I had a bit of a meltdown whilst trying to come off my meds. I took about 100 steps backwards and ended up in a bit of a mess 🙁 Better now though, and able to post on the last day of March!!!!!

Quite honestly, I’ve not had the results I wanted although it could have been worse. The med thing really messed me up, but April will be better I am sure.

This thread has been amazing, I never thought so many would join when I first started it 🙂

Do you want me to start an April one or does someone else want to do it?? I’m happy whichever way, as long as we have our support continuing.

Well done EVERYONE on this mad march through March! You’re all amazing and look forward to chatting in April 🙂 xxx

Oh dear,, feeling fed up today. Increased by 3/4 lb. ok had a good night out with friends and an unexpected lunch out, but did 4;3 and extra walks this week. So, during March all I have managed to do is gradually lose 3/4 lb and gradually put it back on again.. Have finished up exactly where I started! This is not good . My white trousers will not be coming on holiday with me at this rate. Don’t know where I am going wrong now -HELP! I track calories on myfitnesspal religiously. They recommend 350 less than FD and I try to stick to that . Fast days I folllow Mimi’s cookbook and have now cut out a lot of calorie rich foods. I do more exercise now than I have ever done.
    Started on 19th January at 151 lbs and today weigh 145.5 lbs. that’s just 6.5 lbs lost in 3 months! Had hoped for better given that I am sticking to Dr Ms book to the letter. OH has lost 9 lbs in that time. I won’t give up but feel really disheartened.
    Dragonfly – if you will have me am happy to continue with your thread through April. Feel I have so much in common with you all. Onwards and downwards

Welcome back Dragonfly, glad you’ve posted back in the nick of time and hope your recovery from your meds incident continues. It would be great if you could start a new thread – but only if you feel up to it – it carries a bit of responsibility and time commitment. I would offer to start a new thread but as I will be away in April and then again in early May I won’t have internet access for large chunks of time. My suggestion for name is “No April Fools!”

ThirdTime, sorry you have not achieved your goals for March and that you feel so down. It must be so frustrating and perplexing feeling you have followed the plan religiously. I don’t know myfitnesspal so do not understand what you mean by 350 less than FD – could this be where the problem lies? Do stick with us though through next month – think on it as a fresh start. (Please don’t forget you have lost almost half a stone this year!)

To finish off my Mad March here’s my Tues weigh in (weight of an empty, fasted body so not the real deal and certainly not recording in my tracker): 9st 8 which is my normal 2lb loss after a fast day.

I am reasonably happy with my March achievements and although not reached my interim goal of 9 st 7 at least I have come close and know the reasons why I have had my blips. This forum has been invaluable in keeping my focus and determination to succeed.

I am really pleased my BMI has reduced to 24.7 which takes me out of the overweight category, however my Waist-to-Height Ratio is disappointing at 0.54. (Most of my weight loss has come off my shoulders, bust and hips with the waist/tummy budging very slowly). Here’s my numbers for March:

2 March BMI: 25.8 WtH Ratio: 0.57
    30 March BMI: 24.7 WtH Ratio: 0.54

My challenge for April is a simple one, get down to 9st 7 and maintain! The reason for this is, next week I am on a Nile cruise for a week where meals will be offered three times a day (not including “afternoon tea”!) I then have three weeks to recoup whatever weight gained before going off to Spain on 5 May with my girlfriends for a week long Golf School. I really want to fit into my summer golf clothes and slinky evening wear!

Thanks all Mad Marchers for your support, sympathies and advice throughout this last month – I have enjoyed sharing the journey with you. Special thanks to Dragonfly for leading us. Looking forward to hearing from everybody throughout April whether still here or on a different thread.

Keeeeeep Loooooooosing!!

Hi Dragonfly and hope your meds incident is behind you now.
    Up – well done on getting to nearly 9st 7lbs – that’s my aim after the 10 stone goal. Unfortunately I’m not doing so well. The myfitnesspal app is great for counting calories. My FD tracker recommends my TDEE at 1575. The myfitnesspal app recommends TDEE 1200 which is a lot less. I find that I can stick to the 1200 relatively easily although if I go above I don’t worry too much. My last diet regime suggested that I was not eating enough and my body was going into starvation mode. Dr M writes that your body doesn’t go into starvation mode, so feel I can cope with less cals. I guess I’ll just stick with it and if necessary do 4:3 through April. I want to shed lbs as I know I will need some leeway whilst on holiday. Speaking of which, have a great one up the Nile and enjoy the sun. Thanks for the support during March and hope we can all continue during April

Hi Dragonfly, so good to have you back, sorry you’ve had a rubbish time with your meds and I hope you are now on the up. Thanks for starting the thread, I’m happy to continue on here or start with No April Foolers. You’ve all been really motivating and I think I would have not bothered with this if I hadn’t felt an affinity with you all.

I’m not sure why you are not losing 3rdxlucky, maybe you can fast too much, if you put yourself under too much pressure you may just get frustrated and throw in the towel. Have you checked your measurements? I’ve read on here that when you are not losing weight you are often losing inches.

Upagum,you have done great and deserve to enjoy your cruise. You’ll get right back on it.I will miss you next week, your wise words and escapades have been uplifting. Have a lovely time and do keep us up to date if you can. PS Go steady on the vino, we don’t you going overboard.

To confirm, on this last day of March, I have lost 3lbs. I know that’s not amazing but I feel good about it and have been easy on myself which has given me confidence to keep going. I am going to do a fast tomorrow and then we have another family/feasting/social weekend, which probably most of you are. Stocked up on half a cow and easter eggs already.

Thanks again all for keeping me engaged and entertained. Onwards to April xx

Dragonfly, sorry to hear of your challenges, hope your feeling much better now, and I’m very happy to continue on into April.
    Thirdtime, don’t give up hope, and stay on here. You have achieved a6-7lb loss which is really good. Maybe a clue, maybe not, some of us don’t seem to tolerate eating grain foods while we’re losing weight. For me, grain foods – bread, biscuits, pasta, rice, cake etc etc seem to stop the weight loss even if eating within the calorie levels. I don’t know how or why this happens but it happens to me also. So while I am losing I have to stay off those foods. I’ve checked it twice and both times my weight loss stalled.
    Magicarp, well done. You may be our big achiever for the month.

I’m presently on holidays in New Zealand, and trying not to eat grain foods, but as we are travelling in a hire car, it’s a bit of a challenge to carry enough food around with us. To get them out of the way, and making I sure I still do the New Zealand thing, I’ve already had the famous fish and chips and hokey pokey icecream, just small servings. My goal is to come back at the same weight I arrived at. Here for 4 weeks and not much internet access, and not going to weigh myself while away so will just have to go on the feel of my clothes. Tried 1 fast day, that was a bit of a challenge, and today is a fast day. Had a boiled egg, small pear and a little plain yoghurt for breakfast. Will see how the rest of the day goes. I think drinking enough water is going to be my challenge that I really have to be careful about.

Bye for now,
    Merry

Viewing 47 posts - 101 through 147 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply.