Low Ferritin stored iron after a year on 5:2.What to do?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Low Ferritin stored iron after a year on 5:2.What to do?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Kate Mac 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Well what can I do? Today my doctor told me my latest blood test shows my stored iron a thing called Ferretin is down to half of what it should be and he wonders if I should stop fasting twice a week for a while . I am disappointed but hey my overall health matters. Anyone else had this problem?
    I’ve been on 5:2 for over a year and have lost 18 kg. Any suggestions?

Hi Beavergong (cute name)
    It would make more sense to up the foods that raise your iron levels and continue fasting. eg Drinking red wine and eating red meat helps.
    My husband had high iron, so avoids these food!!!
    Do some research on the foods that will help (and that you like).
    Happy reading,
    PVE

Beavergong:

To boost the amount of iron in your diet, try these foods:
    Red meat
    Egg yolks
    Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
    Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
    Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
    Turkey or chicken giblets
    Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    Liver
    Artichokes

There are also iron supplements.

Good Luck!

I have low Ferretin as well. I take a slow acting iron supplement each day and try to eat the foods the simcoeluv mentioned.

I don’t believe 5:2 eating causes it, but you must be sure to get in foods with iron on your fast days.

I would have thought it generally wise to follow a GP’s advice. Having said that, why not ask him whether increasing iron-rich foods in the diet would be a viable alternative to abandoning intermittent fasting altogether? Perhaps suggest a second blood test following a period during which you aim for more iron in your diet.

Beavergong, I do not know of any reason why intermittent fasting would result in iron depletion. Did your doctor explain why he thought IF could have anything to do with low ferritin? Is he perhaps uninformed about IF or even prejudiced against it? The normal reaction to low ferritin in someone who previously had a normal level would be to search for possible hidden bleeding somewhere in the body, IMHO. I really do not see how cutting calories to 500 a week would deplete ferritin stores. I am concerned that your doctor might be having a knee-jerk reaction against fasting and consequently overlooking what would normally be done in this situation.

Hi, old post I know but I just wanted to let anyone coming across this page know that I have had extremely low ferritin levels for the past few years since intermittent fasting. I occasionally do 24 hour fasting. I’m female, 50 years old this month, and in great health requiring no medication. I also have sporadically trained fasted since 2006 (16/8 no problems). But when I say great health, I mean nothing serious or sinister going on with my health, however the low ferritin has not made me feel super healthy. I’ve suffered badly from depression, anxiety, delusions, brain fog, very long 13-day heavy flooding and now missed periods, etc. No major health nor physical dramas, but it’s still not “super healthy”. The anxiety is by far the worst. I’m trying to figure out a way to maintain my weight with calorie restriction but it is horrible. I’m a foodie and I chose fasting so I could eat whatever I wanted when I do eat. I’ve continued with fasting to keep my weight down and continue to enjoy food because I hate the alternative, and I’m taking high iron tablets to manage the low ferritin.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.