Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,601 through 1,650 (of 16,657 total)

• Hi Amazon,
    I have had experience of high blood pressure myself which is what led me to dieting in the first place. I also increased my exercise to improve my stats. It worked and I came off medication. I also stopped getting asthma as a bonus.

Good luck tomorrow both fasters and feeders

That is good to hear about the Asthma Jojo . I never thought of that . I have it too .xx

Wee xx

Evening, all! After all the sausage talk I decided to. Make a sausage pasta dish that my husband likes. I looked in the freezer and found what I thought were cooked turkey sausage, so I put them in the fridge to thaw last night. When I took them out tonight, it was a big mushy, liquids mess! Turns out they were frozen peeled bananas! I guess I will baking banana bread tomorrow!

And speaking of sausage, I have made my own on many occasions with ground pork, chicken, or turkey. Mix in some fresh herbs, spices, onion, or what have you. Delicious, and no preservatives or nitrates.

Please ,please, please eat prunes !
    Too sleepy to make a relevant post , but it doubles as an antioxidant powerhouse fruit, but also calcium with it’s own chemistry best suited for uptake of calcium .

My personal approach has been to move all fruit. To feed days.
    I keep a lot of dried fruit as it doesnt spoil.

I eat oat bran, Instead of oat meal. Dried fruits go great with it , and I sweeten it with stevia instead of sugar.

@jojo
    What great challenge for cancer research- No sugar .
    It’s my understanding that cancer survives only on sugars in the blood. Starve it to prevent it , starve it to slow it.
    Know the difference between cancer preventers foods? Cancer fighter foods? And cancer promoters. Most people dont know that diet soda help prevent it, but once you have it, HAVE IT- diet soda promotes it’s growth. A post a long time ago ,in a thread far far away. The vicious cycle of diet soda and it way of increasing cravings for complex carbohydrates like bread .

Long story short. Learn the difference between a cancer promoting diet of constant over eating of carbohydrates at every meal, and the approach and role of fasting. If you watch micheal moselys eat fast live longer. You can read between the lines. Eat more fish dinners and less carb dinners. How that effects go,go,go mode. And what the natural human ability to enter DNA repair mode when protein and carbohydrates are metabolized out of the blood stream when fasting , typically around 19-22 hours was what I looked up . I may be wrong, but fasting in my opinion. Is same as giving up sugar, albeit everything else too.

It’s my opion that the way fasting helps humans enter DNA. Repair mode. That in some of the studies about increased longevity . Fasting conditions may have been what helped so many people’s get Into DNA repair modes much more often. Then add in that many were also walkers , walking to school and work , or markets. Even the animals increased longevity when exposed to the fasting conditions of the 1930s in rural north America .

Hmm I’m sort rambling without references . Sorry.
    Heres this
    http://duluxdreams.wordpress.com/2012/08/06/eat-fast-and-live-longer/

Also in mice. Four groups.
    Normal carb diet baseline, average longevity
    Low carb brains cells age slower.
    High carb Brain cells aged higher than base
    High fructose corn syrup diet brain cells aged 3 times times faster than base.

Then watch the eat fast live longer. Through the lens of how fasting can apply to an anti cancer diet.

No sugar for a week indeed!
    But fast for 1 day challenge may be the challenge message the masses need !

Not to mention what that would do to the protein food supply . If everyone on earth observed 5:2 or 4:3
    Plus eating 1 anti cancer food with every meal isn’t as hard as it may sound.

Today’s quick read! A must read IMO
    http://csn.cancer.org/node/220591
    —“””The National Cancer Institute estimates that roughly one-third of all cancer deaths may be diet related. What you eat can hurt you, but it can also help you. Many of the common foods found in grocery stores or organic markets contain cancer-fighting properties, from the antioxidants that neutralize the damage caused by free radicals to the powerful phytochemicals that scientists are just beginning to explore. There isn’t a single element in a particular food that does all the work: The best thing to do is eat a variety of foods.”””—

Combine these list foods with fasting and feed day menus .

Good morning all.

Weemam, I agree entirely about the varying advice about what’s good and not good for us. Coffee comes to mind – first bad then good. I try to keep everything in moderation because I know the researchers have to justify their grants so need to get their findings out there (I was one so speaking from experience).

Amazon, an extra comment regarding your excellent information about osteoporosis. It certainly appears that most people needing knee replacements (including me) are overweight but the key to not judging too harshly is to ask which came first.

As you would know, osteoarthritis results generally from the accumulation of minor injuries to the joints. Up to about 50 I was thin and active but with achy knees. Following an arthroscopy to repair meniscus damage due to a X-country skiing prang, it was discovered that I had marked OA changes in both knees and due to the increasing pain, my activity level dropped considerably. Then along came menopause and my undoing regarding weight.

Fortunately with new knees and increased activity, plus this wonderful WOL I’m on my way back to my formerly skinny self.

Pleased to report scales showed 1.6kg improvement from Monday morning’s pre-fasting reading, even though up 1kg from best due to weekend gluttony.

Two fantastic B2B fast days and 830C consumed overall so very pleased. Last night had 50g grilled WA crayfish tail and salad for dinner. They were going cheap at local fish wholesaler (frozen) a few weeks ago. Buttered OH’s before grilling and popped some sliced potato on the grill to top his up.

Just coming out of winter in the SH so looking forward to peaches, apricots, cherries ….. mmm! Apples give me indigestion but pears OK and also drawing on frozen blueberry and preserved apricot ‘investments’ from the summer.

Happy Wednesday all.

Lemon ice water challenge!

instead of diet soda

Hey all, had to share some happy personal news. My husband’s newspaper where he is the Assistant Night Editor was bought about a year ago by a company whose business model is to decimate local papers and move most production to their hub in Texas. About 30% of the staff was laid off immediately, and many other jobs are ending in November, including my guy’s. Needless to say, I have been very worried about the financial implications as well as the emotional ones for him. Well, a few weeks ago, his boss left for another paper, and tonight my husband was offered the job of Night Editor. I am very proud of him and SO relieved! Happy day!

Ply,
    That is fantastic news, well done him and great that you won’t be worried about him. On the flip of that coin we would love my ex to get made redundant from his company because he works 24/7 with no thanks and is killing himself with stress. I thought that leaving him last March might wake him up to what he is doing and risking but you can lead a horse to water, it doesn’t mean he will drink.

The banana story is very funny. I have never frozen unpeeled bananas, are they brown, doesn’t sound very appetising. I would love to make sausages but how do you put skins on them, have you got a gadget? I am partial to sausage casserole and miss it, haven’t had it for a year.

Some more good news everyone another pound off, I wish I could tell you why I am losing so well at the moment but I can’t except that I am not doing much exercise, same foods, how weird is that? If this carries on I will be hitting my Christmas goal early. How is the kettlebell going? Can you see those muscles in your arms and shoulders? What with Pilates you will be body building next.

SAMM – i am fully prepared to give up sugar for a month and donate money to cancer research, how about November – pre-Christmas effort. Your food and cancer information is wonderful. Thankyou for keeping on top of this research. I never drink diet drinks but have lemon water every morning.
    I have just reintroduced coffee in the form of a skinny latte, once per day, I just like it, it’s a treat. I have prunes, cherries(frozen) with other berries in my porridge daily. I also make sure I eat at least 4 extra fruits (as much variety as I can include weekly)on feed days and two on fast days.

Weemam, my asthma was made much worse by cold and having been a smoker for 15years when a young woman. is it more common in Scotland where the weather is not as kind as it is down South. Mind you the air is probably cleaner, not as much traffics. It also improved after I moved away from the M25 motorway. Working with young children with constant colds probably didn’t help much either. Life is good without inhalers and chest infections.

Dear Weemam – I completely agree with you on this one. I only started this diet last Monday and I have gone from soup and porridge on my fast days to sod it, see how many bits of toast and actifry chips I can eat within 500 cals. I don’t mind not eating all day on a FD as long as I can have poached egg and beans or something else equally yummy.

I eat healthily on my normal days anyway but there is no way I can give up spuds and bread. I also have gallons of proper filter coffee every day – that’s another thing that is either good for you or bad for you, depending on which article you read!!!

V xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Weemam – is it you that is from Stirling? I am from Alloa.

V xxxxxxxxxxxx

Versy2010,
    Everyone develops their own way to lose weight. And we heartily approve of that process. We are not preaching only healthy food as being the way ahead because for some this is a change too far. However many of us want to get to goal quicker than others and therefore have low carb, low sugar plans.

Also some of us have friends and relatives with cancer and try to promote foods to prevent this truly abhorrent disease. This thread is about telling others what works for you or suggesting you try certain foods. Take from it what you want. Michael recommends that you are only strict for two days but for long term dieters with under active metabolisms this makes for a long journey.( in my case a maximum of 1 lb per week, so it would have taken over 3 years.

You make your own choices. We just ask that you share what works for you and what you enjoy. I am quite partial to the odd chip myself but it no longer features in my diet regularly. Also I used to be addicted to bread and sandwich contents(a real Joey – from Friends- what’s not to like)minimum six slices per day was my average. I hold this addiction solely responsible for my weight gains as I do not have a sweet tooth at all. I like pastry too but that was eaten in moderation. I have always been active and sporty, it did not help fight weight gain.

Weeman is an inspiration loosing very quickly but I think she has very little carb in her diet, just an occasional foray into the bread bin. Am I right Weemam?

Good Luck fasters and feeders alike. Fast day for me so off to make another gallon of soup.

Good morning everyone
    Ply that’s great news, it is awful living with such a worry hanging over you. You must feel light as air!

Jojo, good news on the weight loss. I sometimes wonder if it’s a change in routine that is sometimes an impetus, just doing something different? Are you still allowed to do kettle bells?

Deep fried Mars Bars all the way then? :-))

Wonderful news, ply. The two of you must be pleased, proud and mightily relieved.

That’s an excellent summary of what 5:2 is about, jojo. I’d like to add, for the benefit of any passing newbie, if it works for a lifelong dieter like me who has succeeded in losing weight but always put the whole lot back on again, it will work for you.

And don’t be discouraged if it’s slow and the scales refuse to budge. Judge your loss by how clothes fit – more comfortable, more flattering or so large now that they are only good for the charity shop. There are almost certainly other good things happening, like reductions in blood pressure, cholesterol and blood glucose.

I freeze bananas just for baking and smoothies. Once they get a little too ripe to eat, I peel them, cut in half, and throw in the freezer in a ziploc bag for later use. Not appealing to eat, but perfect for these purposes.
    I make the sausage as patties, so no gadget required for skins. I think there is one that goes on a kitchenaid mixer, but I don’t feel the need.
    Great job on the weight loss, Jojo! I had the same experience of losing over 5 pounds one week in May when I stopped exercising for several days. Very weird, but we take what we can get.
    Like many, I have very limited carbs in my diet. I have pizza every couple of weeks, pasta maybe once a month, and an occasional sandwich or roll. I sneak a piece of cinnamon toast every now and again, and I also like wine! It’s all fine, but I know it hinders weight loss based on my experience over the last several months. We make the decisions about what to eat, and just know that it will effect how we feel and how much weight we will lose. No villains or angels, food or human, but informed decision makers. Here is an article from yesterday with further backup for what many of us have discovered:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html?_r=0

I very much enjoy cooking for myself, family, and friends, so the idea of eating a cup of plain beans and steamed chicken, even only on fast days, is not appealing to me. I like to spend time developing and modifying recipes to make them healthy and low cal so that they fit into my fast days, but are still satisfying and delicious. I have had much better results, flavor-wise, with taking a regular recipe and reducing oil, replacing starch with zero noodles or spiralized veggies, reducing or replacing meat or cheese, etc., than with “diet” recipes.

I am gearing up for the last 10 pounds to come off. The hardest thing for me right now is the incentive to lose it, since I look and feel pretty darn good. This thread helps, so thank you all!

Thanks all for your good wishes! Definitely an extra spring in my step on the treadmill this morning!

Ply,
    Thank goodness I don’t need to buy another gadget to make sausages, although I have to say I am wearing out my spiraliser, use it daily, especially great for soup preparation and slicing those dreaded strong onions with tears.

Brilliant article you posted Ply – really interesting and diet affirming.

Cheeseplease – No kettlebells for me for two weeks, doctors orders. I can already feel my tone turning to flab. But on a good note significantly less hip pain and off painkillers entirely. Bored out of my tiny mind with chores.

Will someone out there please find something I can eat which will make me less interesting to Mosquitos. Take garlic and meat extract already plus use daily repellent.

Done all my paperwork and phone calls so feeling good, no more aggravation from utility companies about my name, address, employment, marital status and bank changes. I have no credit rating at all now. Retired, single, no pension – written off totally, they disregard home ownership apparently, luckily I don’t like store cards anyway.

Off to buy some catch of the day? Fish and seafood before you make any rude assumptions.

Good morning all . Ply great news about your husband and Jojo well done you . I am sorry I just can’t remember all the names here ( an auld wifes thing lol ) no seriously I have NEVER been good with names .

Yess it is me from Stirling so HELLO Alloa :).

SAMM you are brilliant , I try to take in all you explain to me and some of it does stick to the brain , so thank you for all the hard work you put in..
    When we were at the lakes we went to Table to Table . it is a Brewers Fayre restaurant and we like it . Hubby and son always have something really nice but it was mainly chips and things with spicy dressings so I opted for just tomato soup . It came with some fancy names bread .it was made with olive oil . I ate the soup and the bread and left the butter . To be honest ( never thought I would EVER say this ) It was plenty and I really enjoyed it .
    In the B&B I only had a slice of wholemeal toast and decaf coffee the next morning and at night the same restaurant I had half roast chicken with chips and coleslaw . I removed the skin and ate half the chicken and 3 chips . was stuffed and took the other piece of chicken home with me in a napkin to eat watching TV ,. I have ALWAYS eaten everything on my plate so this proves 5.2 is helping me eat less .
    I got some strawberries on the way back and I had them when Hubby and son were having crisps and sweets . I felt so proud of myself lol .
    I have done every diet there is and lost weight BUT always put some of it back on . This time it is so easy and I can see this as a lifetime thing . Thank you all so much for all the encouragement . I hope I haven’t left anyone out .

Jojo I forgot to say .I laughed so much at the banana story . I have a Yonanas machine . It turns frozen bananas into ice cream . I have taken them frozen from the freezer too thinking they were sausages . They feel so horrible when you pick them up defrosted lol

Wee xx

Jojo would MINT help as I know fly s don’t like mint to iy might work on other wee flying blighter’s too 🙂 xx

Hi Weemam,
    Your restraint whilst away is very impressive and I believe very sensible. I will be doing likewise on my holiday. I am off to buy mint soap now, tell you in time if it works. By the way it was Ply with the frozen bananas. I may give it a try though. I will also look up your machine, I have never made ice cream but I love it, especially coconut. Been making do with low cal coconut yogurt since January but I miss it. I am doing so much cooking these days my mother would have been so proud, she was an amazing cook.
    To all fast trackers
    Just bought a book called ‘the Thrifty Forager’ by Alys Fowler, might as well make the best of my daily walks to get some nice organic freebies. Let’s hope I don’t poison myself. I think I will leave the mushrooms for now. There is an apple tree opposite me fully laden, I may need to have a little word with the owners, a Doctors surgery.
    Ideas for the windfall please, I don’t think crumble( my favourite with custard) is very good on a diet. I will be picking blackberries tomorrow too.

I ordered my daughter a ships wheel ( child sized) for her class display and it just arrived. Now I must go over and surprise her with it. She will appreciate some cheering up on a fast day after spending most of her day in training.

I have just heard that we are going to have 7 weeks of sunny weather, hooray.

Jojo, I keep meaning to mention your daughter’s classroom. How lucky she is to have you! The pirate ship…what a wonderful idea!! With an authentic ship’s wheel and everything! I can just imagine the little faces when they walk in and see it!

Ply, Good news about your OH. Jojo, congratulations on your weight loss.

Wheat and sugar put weight on me. Eliminating all wheat and sugar allowed me to fast track to maintenance weight. I now occasionally give myself a little treat. In general, home cooked food is best for me. Bay. 🙂

Thumbz up on eliminating wheat entirely from fasting or feed days. aka gluten free

If on fasting days you get “Clear Headed” and the very next feed day you get “Foggy”

Highly suspect yourself to be gluten sensitive in the Hippocampus.
    Only 20% are sensitive in the digestive tract to gluten , but Dr. Perlmutter claims all humans are sensitive to some degree in the hippocampus.

We don’t want inflammation causing foods , to create inflammation in the hippocampus where. Our memory and persona exists. IE… Dementia.

While the facts seem flimsy , it’s a 50/50 chance at today’s current statistics to have either alzhiemers or dementia at age 85. I personally believe in what perlmutters message is.
    More natural DHA no gluten diet.

That is very easy . Super easy to make happen on 4:3. And as the previous poster points to . No wheat is a fat loss variable. I agree!

ARRRGHT JOJO!

September 19 is Intenational talk like a pirate day. A great way to get some attention from all concerned.

Latitude and longitude. – math.
    What grade did you say? She will be teaching.

Fast day for me . Ready to sleep , cause I got a headache from drinking enoug water.
    Will be busy next few days.

May be a good time for y’all to post your goals this week.

I’m hoping for a 2 lb loss since my last weigh in .

@bayleafoz
    Are you a 500-600 day faster?

To be honest I think it must be about 5 years since I had chips . ( low carbing for most of them ). I kept looking at hubby and sons plates with the chips when we went out for a meal as we never have them at home . I did get them with my chicken at the weekend but I was really disappointed . the smell was much nicer than the taste .
    Jojo I love that you are helping your daughter . Our family are like that too . When our youngest got his first home 2 years ago ( he has CP) we all had so much fun decorating it . Ross is not in a wheelchair so he was having a gotoo . More on him then on the walls lol .So much fun though .

SAMM my eldest h.his lovely wife and our 2 Granddaughters all have Coeliac he was born with it his wife when she was 45 and the 2 granddaughters just lately at 20 and 25. So I am used to their diet requirements . he is 52 now and I used to bake everything for him ,had to use fresh yeast etc but nowadays they can all be bought ready baked .

SAMM my average fasting is only around 300 as I never can manage all I am supposed to eat on a normal day . I just can’t get my head around that as I used to eat everything in the cupboards except the packets lol

Deep fried mars bars are a great thing here lol BUT the one sweet I don’t like is a mars bar … no 2 sweets I don’t like ..mars bar a parma violets Yuck !!!

Onwards and downwards everyone .

Wee xx

Hi Samm

I don’t know exactly what my calorie count is. When I was losing weight, I was probably on 400 calorie fast days. I am now maintaining and don’t count calories.

Today’s fast day consisted of one black coffee until 1 pm and lots of water. A 17 hour fast. Then a light lunch of cucumber, lettuce, tomato and a piece of cheese. Dinner at 7 pm of 100 grams salmon, with lots of green vegetables, cauliflower, plus tomato, celery, carrot, and capsicum.

That would be a typical fast day for me. Sometimes I substitute a poached egg and spinach for the brunch, or a home made vegetable soup, or 100 grams lean chicken stir fry for the dinner. Two meals only.

No starches or sugar or grains or alcohol on a fast day. I don’t miss them one day a week.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Weemam,
    No wonder you have been losing 2 lb per week Weemam, that’s very low calorie limit on fast days. I cannot go below 500 and sleep at night which is the worst. I am very surprised you cope as you are active like me. But I do agree that you should only eat until you are nearly full then stop as opposed to eating up to a set calorie limit. When I was on weight watchers I found myself looking at lists to find out what I could eat that amounted to the number I had left when in actual fact I was not even hungry.
    Sometimes I go over 500 but these days I don’t worry because I don’t always use 1200 on other days.
    SAMM – ahoy there matey, thanks for the information. She knows her stuff as she did this project on her teaching practise too, she even has her own pirate costume. I hope the kids, classroom assistants and parents appreciate the work she has put in preparing this reception class environment(age 4-5 SAMM).
    I have tried to get my daughter to have a gluten test done, it’s worth finding out if it is causing her acne.
    Had my favourite prawn thai stir fry for dinner so all is well with the world.
    Speak tomorrow

Evening all.

I decided this morning that I wasn’t in the mood for a successful fast so gave in gracefully. Having said that, all I’ve had so far is some granola with yoghurt and blueberries!
    I’m going to fast tomorrow instead and do my third day on Saturday as I’m going out for the day on Friday.
    jojo, good to hear that your hip pain is resolving.
    As for the windfalls, apple purée mixed with yoghurt would make a nice apple fool or how about apple sorbet, there are plenty of low sugar or sugar free recipes out there.

Jojo that is what I was trying to explain . most days I am around 800 or 900 . a couple of times around the 1.000 I just feel it is mad to keep on when I have had enough .Today I had to look for something to boost it to 974 as I don’t want more fasting days . I am feeling so good in myself so I will just keep on doing what I am doing and IF I need to rethink then I will 🙂 .

Wee xx

Weemam,
    I don’t want to concern you but if you are having so few calories weekly it might be an idea if you visit a Doctor for your loss of appetite. I am concerned that you may get run down especially as you have such a busy life. I am not interfering, just worried.
    Jojo xx

awww Jojo how lovely of you . I have always been a big eater but lately there have been a lot going on in the family stress wise . I ate constantly everything in sight . I put 3 stone on and went back up to 14 st 10 lbs . i wasn’t taking time to enjoy anything I was just eating for the sake of eating . I am still getting used to myfitnesspal in the last 7 weeks since I started 5.2 . Now I am beginning to find out what is in what I eat and I am getting more choosy . I have been increasing my food to better quality rather than quantity and I WILL be using my calorie allowance . If I don’t then I know I will be under eating . I NEVER thought I would EVER do that . I am feeling so good and getting so many compliments now . NOT have you lost weight but more “you are looking really well ” please don’t worry there is no way I will eat less . Thank you so much though for caring xx

Wee xx

Hi Samm

I forgot to say that if I still feel hungry at the end of a fast day, I have some full cream Greek yogurt with blueberries or raspberries or strawberries.

B 🙂

Hi Ply

Many thanks for posting the link to the NY Times article. I have sent it on to family and friends.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

You are welcome, Bay!

@jojo
    There’s no test that’s definitive for gluten intolerance .

However 30 days of gluten free diet, is the current determine practice.

There use to be a limited choices for gluten free, but the current fad , is opening up market variety.

It may be an easier sell if you show her a menu of gluten free diet. Add eggs, salmon , walnuts for DHA

Say lunches with
    Spinach leaves, tomato,bacon, egg,walnut,tuna, and Parmesan
    Or salsa instead of dressing. Especially the salsa that has pineapple in it is good on spinach salad.

Had fish dinner today went over @800
    So my ADF fat attack this month may not be a good as I was hoping , but should still see 2-3 more fat loss than last months weigh in.

My wife is home from hospital . I wish her happiness as much as possible

Drinking my green tea with lemon . Not even going to explain what I’m doing with the pith!
    Yummy@20 calories.

Samm:

It may be that there is no such thing as ‘gluten sensitivity’: http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/are_you_really_gluten-sensitive.html

Good Luck!

Good morning Fast trackers,
    Another half pound down today, I am definately on a roll at the moment. Rest from exercise seems to be very good for my weightloss although yesterday I did do quite a few steps 8848(still half of what I was averaging before Doctor recommended rest. I have done three hours swimming during the last week but that has never been good( in the past) for my weightloss, I used to do an hour daily without any difference on the scales. Not complaining just very curious. Let’s hope the daily loss carries on until my holiday at the end of the month, I would love to cross the stone barrier into the 12’s.

Off to choir caberet rehearsal, I am now acting as a ‘horn’ player to introduce the song ‘all that jazz’ but none of us ‘performers’ are exactly Catherine Zeta Jones, although our choir mistress seems to think we should ‘act’ sexy. It’s not quite the same when the average age of our performers at bowls choir is 70. No one can say we aren ‘t game females if laughable.

Our oldest female player (92) won the ladies league this year – gives you hope doesn’t it? She was also a former head teacher, coincidentally at the school my daughter is working at. In her day it had a good reputation, highly thought of, which is no surprise, she had an old school approach – discipline and good manners plus a healthy dose of mutual respect. Sadly in the last fifteen years it has acquired a very bad reputation due to an intake from the most deprived area locally plus burnt out teachers.

It’s also complicated by a high percentage of students who do not speak English. Communication with parents becomes very difficult when you don’t have resources to combat this hurdle. My daughter speaks French and Spanish and will be keen to learn basics of the families ‘only’ language but she already has 6 different countries to cope with varying from Eastern Block to Asian. She also has one non speaking child and an autistic child. Thank goodness she has two classroom assistants because language acquisition is a slow business and assessment of skill difficult without it.

But I believe in my daughter and the other new teachers that are starting there this year, they will do their best to make it a good place to be again. It will be a challenging year but it will make her a better teacher. I suspect I will be fulfilling my supportive mother role this year plus unpaid classroom assistant, shoulder to cry on, creative director and helper with lesson preparation. The quantity of planning they do now is totally ridiculous. As a Montessori teacher I know they would be far better off in a Montessori environment where planning is set and equipment plus observation becomes the teachers tools. As for individual written daily goals – seriously! How many adults could cope with these let alone 4 year olds!

Talking about goals,
    Just updated my fitness pal record 51.5 lbs lost since January which is 20% of my body weight. Added to that 14 lbs I lost before Christmas ( total 65.5) not bad. Another 50 lbs to go yet but at least I have passed the half way point. Feeling positive, going for goal albeit not expecting to reach it till next March.

Anyone else got the same to lose? I know SAMM is somewhere close!

Good morning, fast trackers! I am hanging around at home this morning, waiting to see the dentist at 8. Yesterday at our opening day as I was talking to a parent and a new first grader, I felt something strange in my mouth. The cap on one of my front teeth, basically my whole tooth, had come loose! I have had the caps for 15 years and never had a problem. I had to do a workshop for preschool teachers in the afternoon, so I couldn’t leave to have it taken care of. I bought some stuff at the drugstore to stick it on, but it didn’t work well, especially when I was talking, so I did the workshop with a missing front tooth. Horrifying! I have a pretty severe dentist phobia, so I tend to avoid going. I know I will be set up for more appointments after today to take care of some things I have been ignoring. I get sedated when I go, so I remember nothing, which is just the way I like it. Today will be just cementing the cap back in, so no big deal.
    Fantastic job on the weight loss Jojo! I was surprised at such a big number, since we only see the pound here, half pound there on the thread. What an accomplishment for you! I am back down to my low after taking a break for most of July and August, during which I gained 3-4 pounds. Wasted time, I guess you could say, but I enjoyed all the social events. Nice to know it comes back off pretty easily with a week or two of fasting. Now time to buckle down and drop the last 10.
    I mentioned a long time ago that no one at work seemed to notice my weight loss last school year. Well, everyone is noticing now! I guess being together every day makes it more difficult to see changes. It has been nice to get lots of compliments the last couple of days!
    Have a great day, all! Xoxo

Jojo, that’s amazing weight loss. It shows your dedication and you should feel so proud of yourself. It is amazing when you add up all those half pounds and pounds. I have lost 16lbs since I started in June, and it’s just brilliant! I feel so positive about the health benefits as well, it’s a win win situation as “they” say.

Way to go, jojo! A well-deserved success. I believe the theory is that losing 20% of your body weight is already hugely (no pun intended!) beneficial.

Good luck with the production of Cabaret. Am I right in thinking you mean the wonderful show about Berlin in the 30s? Surely, if ladies of mature years are required to act “sexy” they’ve got far more experience to draw on than their younger friends. 🙂

ply, hope the session with the dentist wasn’t too awful. Like you I have severe dental phobia and keep as far away as I can. I used to have to be sedated just for an inspection! Fortunately I have good teeth, but that won’t last for ever, so one day I must pull myself together. One of the problems is that whenever I have found a good dentist he – and it has always been a he – has moved elsewhere, in one case to retrain as a doctor.

Well done, Jojo. You should feel very proud of yourself. Bay 🙂

Jojo that is just brilliant . I didn’t realize you had lost as much weight . You must feel so good .I love to hear success stories like that .
    5 years ago I lost 5 stone and people were passing me by as they didn’t recognise me . .I put almost 3 stone of that back on . Now 18 pounds of that gone . You are my hero 🙂 …I love this thread and all the helpful advice .

Wee xx

Hi everyone

Jojo so well done, you must feel fantastic and, as Hermaj says, 20% should mean a significant health improvement too.

Ply, what bad luck about your front tooth, and just before a presentation too! I hope the repair wasn’t too traumatic.

Sleep tight all from the other end of the world.

Wow Jojo that is amazing!!! I bet you can wear anything now and look lovely. Did your stomach spring back? I’m worried that my skin is not as elastic as it used to be!!

V xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all,
    Sorry I mislead you Hermajtomomi , the performance is ‘all that jazz’ from Chicago( I think). It went well this morning and we have undertaken two more bookings to sing in local retirement homes. All helps the bowls club funds and breaks up a dull day for the residents, well provides them with a laugh anyway. As for age and experience of being sexy I think most would say they can’t remember those days( ha ha).
    I then had a visit to a chiropodist who was not very impressed with my foot care, I told her I spend most of my life in trainers, she said – obviously dear. I won’t be going back to her but I will be spending a bit more time on my feet, teetree oil and moisturiser. At least they are not crippled from pointy high heels.

Well it seems we have more in common both hermajtomomi and Ply, I also have a front tooth capped and hate dentists. I don’t get put under for visits but I do take a couple of painkillers an hour before I visit then have local anaesthetic before fillings. I think they have improved over the years generally, mind you the bills are phenomenal. I really felt for your dilemma at work, hope it went well today.

Thankyou all for your well wishes, it is good to ear a more normal size and move about easier but I am not going to get complacent.

My two week voluntary bar maid job starts next week, I am really looking forward to it. Thanks to my insistence it is the first time women have been allowed behind the bar, I am going to make sure it cheerful and efficient service. No low cut tops but plenty of sass and of course dangly ‘Betty’earrings( English joke – from a soap opera about a pub). There is still a long way to go at this club to raise the profile and rights of women at this club.

I feel very restless waiting to hear how my daughter got on today. We go through all their first days with them as parents, do we not? But I believe a little stress burns extra calories so let’s hope the scales reward me again tomorrow.

Versy2010,

Luckily I have no issues with stomach fat skin but I am working hard on my bingo wings, hence the kettlebells work. My tip is plenty of fluid daily, swimming and walking. Also the specialists don ‘t recommend losing weight too quickly ( more than 2 lb per week) or when you are over 40(too late for the age limit one I am afraid).

I would like to have weekly massages to break up remaining cellulite, I really want these gone, but this is expensive. I think you can get laser treatment to zap them but I have no idea what the cost is or if there are side effects. I won’t dismiss doing this. I think there is a new treatment to shrink bingo wing skin too but it’s early days yet.

Believe it or not I have no stretch marks as my skin is very elastic. My poor daughter who has never been very overweight has lots of stretch marks, it another one of those good genes bad genes situations.

Hi Jojo well that’s good news then, I will carry on doing my aerobics classes and stomach crunches. I started the kettlebell this week and can’t wait to see if that works. I would love to tone my arms up so I think I will try to do the DVD x 3 times a week. Have you noticed a difference?

V xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Afternoon all.

Well done jojo on such a huge weight loss.
    I’m keeping away from the scales as I am easily disheartened. My jeans had gotten tight and they are falling down again so something good is happening.

I was up most of the night watching tennis and went to bed at 6am so I’ve slept away a good amount of FD2. I’ll probably be awake half the night with a rumbling stomach!
    I’ve done my workout and prepared dinner and am now trying to hold off eating until 6pm.

I have a friend who has never been overweight and exercised regularly since her 20s. She is now 65, still exercising, and has bingo wings, so it would appear that they can’t always be prevented, but I’ll keep on with the triceps exercises and live in the hope that I can avoid them for a while yet. I’m also hoping Kettlecise will help.

Amazon and versy2010,
    I cannot speak more highly about kettlebell swings, arms, shoulders, back muscle are all significantly improved in three months with 20 mins twice per week only. It burns more calories than any other exercise. It’s so good to be strong, empowering. Should have no issues pulling pints next week, in fact lifting crates either, although I will need to be careful obviously( Doctors orders). Dogs can’t pull me over any more either which is great, doesn’t stop them trying though.
    Get swinging ladies, you won’t regret it? But make sure you follow the precise method, don’t over reach.

Re bingo wings: the trainer who does the weight lifting classes at my gym told us that the triceps is one of the two muscles in the body that does not get exercised doing regular daily activities, so to tone them, you must do specifically targeted exercises. Some of the best are tricep dips, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kALZikXxLc and overhead extensions http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/exercise/triceps-exercises5.htm

The other muscle, incidentally, is the inner thigh.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,601 through 1,650 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.