Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,701 through 15,750 (of 16,657 total)

• Hi Fast Trackers and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) πŸ˜‰
    Positively a spring like day here in SA sunshine blue skies and spot on 20deg
    AO great to see you up and about and well done you on the 36 hrs and those 3 weeks will slip past with better movement and pain free is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
    Slimnhealthy best congrats on shimmying into the tennis skirt great job tennis racquet optional πŸ˜‰
    Wiwi keep on keeping on Don’t watch the clock; do what it does. Keep going. Sam Levenson
    Happy good reminder of knowing your alive πŸ˜† loved it
    NearlySlimJim wow mate you’re smashing it out 5lb in a week awesome.
    Amazon I have pondered the non-fast day being the down fall at times too as my week off proved it very clearly to me the LCHF options of β€œeat when you’re hungry and stop when your full” does not work for me as it is really saying its free for all RT eat all you can and beer is happy hour 24/7 I don’t drink a 6er because I am thirsty 6 x 375ml cans is 2.25lt so in keeping with Bays 2litres a day πŸ˜‰ I hear the voice of the angels above whispering to me stay forever vigilant with mindful eating good portion control and fasting regularly

Hi Purple I took my 4 day fast from the Eat Fast & Live Longer Dr M doco when he did his first fast 3 days and 4 nights on a 25cal miso cup a soup in the evening he made it in a cardboard cup and mixed it up with a hotel pen one wonders what the accommodation budget was πŸ˜‰ he is a black tea drinker and had a shed load of water. Valter Longo fasted 4 days.
    So basically I have black coffee green tea and a shed load water mixed in with the occasional black tea for balance a cheeky little diet coke or a pepsi max here and there I am not a fan of miso soup but I do have some on hand the Hikari Miso – Instant Miso Soup – Wakame 1 sachet 18g 28cal or a Bovril 1 tsp 10cal or Bonox 1 tsp in a cup of hot water 8cal I sometimes have a cup but I generally get through ok with Tuesday the second day being the hardest

β€œIt’s is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once started”
    Peace RT

All power to you RT.
    You do realise, having “diet” soft drinks will give you an insulin spike, just like sugar, as your body tastes the sweetness and pumps in insulin in preparation for the anticipated sugar? This was discussed by Dr Moseley at his luncheon in Sydney.
    If the purpose is to stop sugar spikes, this will undermine it. P

Very early morning here but the gulls woke me up. It’s still very warm here so I am sleeping with my bedroom windows open. Noisy but cool.

Folk week is great, lots of new bands and meeting up with friends. Not great for fasting or calorie control though, mostly living off sandwiches and latte as out all day, the tea undrinkable at the Festival Marquee Food van. I volunteer for 4-5 hours daily as a door person at the performance tent. Yesterday I had a bad experience with a carer and his charge, a very disturbed boy. The boy spat at a customer, kicked another and then kicked me. I had to ask the carer to control his charge or leave the venue. The carer was verbally abusive to me and the other two victims. I suspect he had been drinking. We often have to deal with drunkards, they lose control and reason. My eye is always drawn to the obese in the audience too, always eating something, sandwiches, pies, cakes, ice cream never fruit, nuts or veg. The food van does not serve anthing healthy apart from bottles of water. So far I have avoided the huge range of homemade cakes by taking an apple with me. Might need to take a flask today to avoid lattes, they taste so good half way through my shift. Still drinking lots of water.
    Saw the new Star Trek movie last night(Spoiler Alert)it was OK, typical storyline rescue, aliens attack Federation, Kirk saving the day with Scotty, Spock, the Dr and Chekov, Sulu, Uhuru supporting the team. Another Enterprise bites the dust in the process.
    Fasting hard as routine different but at least trying to control ‘what I eat and drink’ and walking or standing most of each day. Need to swap sandwiches for salads today. Weigh in later will probably convince me to focus more. At least no ice cream eaten this week but the temptation has been strong.

Jo,

Good to hear you’re enjoying folk week, although I couldn’t read any of your post from ‘spoiler alert’ onwards..!

Why don’t you use your door duty at folk week as a reason to fast rather than an excuse not to? You seem to drop out of the fasting way of life at the drop of hat lately…

You’ve said yourself that you’ve been failing your fasts for ages now, and snacking since you came home from NZ in January (so I guess you haven’t been practicing 19:5 successfully either…).

At this rate 2016 will be yet another year when you didn’t get any closer to your goal weight?!

RT and P,

Interesting thinking about the use of diet drinks during long fasts and whether the accompanying insulin spike harms the fast. I guess if the artificial sweetener is the equivalent of 9 tsps sugar (a can), then it’s not ideal! But is it significantly different from the spike you’d get from a miso soup?

It’s all fascinating, isn’t it?
    Happy, I found this re miso and blood sugar
    http://www.gisymbol.com/food-of-the-month-6/
    I guess if insulin causes the body to store fat, the aim on a fast would be to limit insulin.
    Jo, I thought the same as Happy. A 5 hour shift is an easy way to not eat. If you do need food some days, take a couple of little tomatoes, lettuce, carrot and cucumber to munch on. There is always an alternative to takeaway carbs. The stricter you are, the sooner you can develop your maintenance techniques.
    P

Morning/evening all,

Another sunny day here in London.
    I was up late watching the Olympics so am only out of bed a few minutes 😳

Jo, I agree with Purple, doing a door shift would be a great opportunity to keep away from food, and if you can get latte why can’t you opt for a coffee that contains less milk. It’ll take a while but once you get used to it you’ll never be able to look at a latte again.

I have no excuses to make, I’ve carelessly mislaid my willpower and not been trying hard enough to locate it.

RT, you’ve inspired me to give the long fast a go, so once I’ve eaten today I’m on the no food wagon until Friday and hopefully that will concentrate my mind on getting back to grips with 5:2 and getting off of the one step forward and two steps back track and onto the down escalator.

I was going to buy milk today but I’ll not bother now.

No gym until tomorrow as I managed to pull a rib muscle last week and it is still a bit sore although much better than last week when I couldn’t turn over in bed or bend down to pick something up and was terrifed of sneezing…….

Have a good one everybody 😜

Have you looked behind the couch, Amazon? Amazing what you might find πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
    Fasting saves doing any shopping at all!
    I fasted today and have just made 2 loaves of sourdough to take away at the end of the week.
    Like Nama, we are hitting the road too. ☺P

Hello Tribe,
    What a gorgeous day here! Clear, dry air with blue skies. Definitely going for a long walk on the forest since my energy level is better in the morning.
    It’s so nice to hear everyone’s ups and downs! Today I am back Fasting. Started w/ strong coffee and a splash of milk and stevia. I keep an eye on the interesting insuline debate there.
    Jo what an inconvenience there with the intoxicated boy, alcohol for sure change people.
    For those of you going away, safe travels! To the rest let’s lose 2 pounds at least this week πŸ’‹

Thanks for the link P. And there I was thinking miso was just a low calorie salty snack for fast days! Think I may need to have some every day β˜•οΈ

Sounds good, doesn’t it Happy?

HCB, stevia has the same result as sugar re insulin. Far better to learn not to crave sweetness than to look for substitutes.
    Sugar free black coffee and tea are an acquired taste. Start with them very weak. I basically only wave a teabag over hot water πŸ˜€ It does make drinking warm drinks while travelling so much simpler, too. No carrying around the extras. We took up black coffee to go camping 40 odd years ago. Simple.
    Went to bed very hungry after a fast day last night, but, of course, have woken up without dying! πŸ˜‰
    How are you going RT? P

Hi P I did wear a path out to the loo πŸ˜‰ and I always think a en suite would be very handy on a fast night many trips sadly this does wake up Frankie and creates a situation very noisy in the middle of the night and he thinks when his eyes are open its feed time and he is rather pushy he is going out to the farm today with some other orphan lambs that where adopted out to other family members so they will all be in the yards to adjust for a while so a certain peace and tranquillity should return on the home front I hope. I feel good a lightness with some purpose and clarity zero hunger and like you I did not fizzle out overnight πŸ˜†
    Peace RT

I have a similar issue with the cat every time one of us troops off to the loo (frequently ) on fast nights. “Are you going to feed me/ let me out now?” 🐱
    Really the hardest thing about fasting is the bladder….if only we could find a solution. P

I decided to keep you company RT. Wasn’t hungry this morning, so rolling through another fast.
    I thought I’d do some quick calculating…
    To reach our healthy goal weights, Mr P and I both lost 30 kg each in 12 months in 2013. That averages out at only 1.2lbs per week. Obviously we lost more in the initial months (often a kilo in a week), but this tends to slow as you get closer to goal, even with adjusting TDEE.
    Don’t get disheartened about reaching goal. Set a realistic healthy goal weight, eat as if you have reached it, plus 2 proper fast a week, and it will happen. The faster you reach it, the more rewarded you feel and consequently don’t want to slip back.
    My thought for the day. P 😊😊

Great truth there, P. I need the two fasts a week to keep me honest. Although I returned from a lovely week in Fiji not having gained a kg – having an upset tummy one day helped, no doubt. No fasting, but no lunches after two-course breakfasts (free!)

Interesting about the benefits of miso. Twice a week might not do a great deal, but it’s all part of the whole πŸ™‚

OH and I are very fortunate, no night-time trips to the loo regardless of the day.

We’ve had a winter bomb in the last few days, with some rural customers up country being advised that they may not have power back on for weeks. Wet, heavy snow and no relieving wind creating a domino effect when one power pole gives under the strain. Your veins would be okay here, Wi.

Well done, OH, and I hope the recovery continues apace πŸ™‚

Good to have some company thanks Purple going along ok a dull head ache no pill required busy day at work uses up good fast time not hungry at all but I am imagining what greasy fatty yummy goodness I would have eaten nearly 2 years ago at work all day minimum 3 snacks something on the way home from work plus a 6er of beer a 175g packet a chips and a massive evening meal and yet today quite content and full on zen how bizarre
    β€œRemember that reserve of fat you have on your body already and realise you actually don’t need food, you just want it.”
    RT

RT, you’re a whole (or should that be half a..?!) new man.

I’m joining the fasting wagon today, for one day only though! After a week off with daily added sugar I need to break the sugar craving, and there’s nothing better than a fast to provide a full stop.

It’s quiet today -yes RT.
    I am now down 600g after getting my A into fasting G again properly.
    Miso soup is so hard to find in France, but Amazon.fr does wonders. Yes interesting article, Purple
    I heard about the winter bomb, Barata. By chance we put in a third heat pump into the Wellington house the day before, and the tenants were oh so happy. A bit hard for you coming back from Fiji to that southerly buster. Yes swollen veins are a new nuisance, but liveable with, and swimming helps. I think Rome was the trigger- 30Β° + everyday is the problem. A good old flight sock does wonders though is not that elegant!
    Purple, do you make your own sourdough starter? We buy our one loaf every week, sourdough, organic and wholemeal. Jolly expensive but worth it.
    The temperature has dropped so swimming is sadly off the menu today in our waterhole, but we are off to the UK tomorrow and my eyes light up with the thought of the indoor pool just down the road from where we stay.

Non FD for me today, but it’s good to be back on 4:3 again.
    xx Wiwi

RT-I love your “quite full and content on Zen”

Yes Wi. Dead easy…only takes a couple of days. 2tbs good flour. The same of filtered water. Then the trick when you first start is to add a little pineapple juice (tinned). Only need to do it the first time.Add a bit of flour and water for a few days intil it is bubbly.
    I made a grainy, oaty loaf as well as a fig and almond (almonds layered on the tin bottom) to take on our trip. We use about a loaf a week too.
    Sorry to hear about your bitter weather Barata. 23 and sunny here today.
    All power to the fasters today…welcome Happy. A good reset indeed. P

Morning/evening all,

Another blue sky this morning 🌞

I woke up this morning feeling worried about the challenge ahead ie not eating until Friday, but having read the posts that have appeared while I was sleeping, I feel much better.
    My mantra shall be “quite full and content on Zen”
    If it doesn’t work out I can blame RT πŸ˜‰

I don’t really care for black tea but when on holiday I often find it more palatable than adding what is served up under the guise of milk so I can cope with it, and I don’t mind black coffee. I’ve not taken sugar for most of my adult life so that won’t be a problem.

I’m off to the gym this morning and hoping it is as quiet as last Tuesday so I can have another long swim.

Good luck Amazon!

I really will have to stop being a wuss, get my A in G sometime, and do a long fast… Maybe in the autumn… πŸ™‚

Hi amazon great to have you on the fast team today you will not regret it may be just the change up to your protocol that is needed too.
    Peace RT

Happy, there are no obligations to do longer fasting, just an interest in what the results might be. No intention in this household!

Wi, I made a sourdough starter earlier in the year (last year?) but allowed the poor thing to expire from under-use. We eat so little bread – roll on retirement! Very simple to make and sustain. I bet your tenants are happy. One of my workmates was promised a heatpump, then a wall heater turned up. Warm wall, cold workmate πŸ™

Hi Barata,

I know there’s no obligation, but the full health benefits of fasting aren’t realised by 24 hour fasts. If I want my body to eat itself and be renewed I’m going to have to bite the bullet (or at least chew on thin air πŸ™‚ ) for three days at some point…

Hi everyone,

Had a great workout followed by a lovely swim and have that lovely buzz that exercise brings πŸ™‚

I’m now enjoying a huge mug of coffee with the last dribble of milk, it’s black from now on.

RT, I think you might be right about this being the change I need. I’ve decided to view it as 3 one day fasts as I think that mindset will make it easier for me.

Time to go as the rowing has started πŸ˜‰

Go Amazon!!!! πŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ

Hi Fast Trackers and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) πŸ˜‰
    What a joy to be able to nick out to the loo last night and not be harassed by Frankie 😯 Yfee tells me he is none too pleased about this new livestock farm lifestyle either a lot of vocalization when she left him he clearly is very adapted in the back of the house πŸ˜† Nice to read P and MrP make multiple trips to the loo and Barata no trips at all oh you guys are so fortunate if that happened just one night for me yfee would think I have passed away over night or indeed phone family conference call to inform everyone of my achievement as she does not get up at all just hold on she says yeah right whatever !! P & Happy we are all going to have differing views quote and reference different strategies and studies on the subject of artificial sweeteners for sure which is a grand thing I still follow a simple platform of my own study of one that is what worked and continues to work for me I enjoy a diet coke and it refreshes me so while very easy to eliminate from my menu it will stay on. Just as some need a splash of milk in their tea or coffee I do not though or as Jason Fung suggests a splash of cream or milk even on a fast day or the good Dr M in the fast diet book under β€˜what can I drink’ Plenty as long as it doesn’t have a substantial calorie content In practice as with most decisions on the Fast Diet the choice is entirely up to you he suggests they drink their tea and coffee black on a fast day but if you prefer it with milk and artificial sweeteners fine but be aware that the calories in milk add up and what you are trying to do is extend the time you are not consuming calories at all. P67 in the ebook πŸ˜‰ for the inquisitive amongst you you know who you are πŸ˜† As most here would know I am a 19/5 follower and in Dr Bert Herring book fast-5 which incidentally was released in 19 December 2006 the plan is simple
    β€œThat’s all there is to it. From 10pm one day to 5pm the next day
    you eat nothing and drink only unsweetened or
    artificially-sweetened beverages having negligible calorie
    content such as water, flavored water, regular or herbal tea,
    coffee, or diet sodas. No juice, milk, or alcohol-containing
    drink should be consumed until after 5 pm”
    free download PDF Ebook here
    http://www.koukos.com/Fast-5-ebook100.pdf

So I personally think whatever builds compliance that then makes it doable Amazon I have found the practical application of a long fast the hardest not necessarily the calorie free component or the fasting it self but with a lot of negative vibe from my family who all think I am quite mad as it is πŸ˜† welcome aboard I won’t wish you good luck as you don’t need luck when you have ability and you have oodles of that day 3 three is awesome you wonder what all the family fuss is about I feel recharged all my super hero powers are just starting to work as one well kind of. πŸ’‘ Happy Hump Day
    Safe and happy travels P and Mr P and continue to make great memories we love life.
    β€œIt’s is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once started”
    Peace RT

Hi y’all

Great to hear all the talk on fasting strategies; long fasts, short fasts, milk, no milk, sugar no sugar, filling up on zen!

Drum roll…..

My mom is fasting today! Im hoping i can get her on here for support…but dont believe anything she says about me…she has a gift of hyperbole.

Good fasts everyone!

Hi everyone,

All is going well. My hunger peaked at 4pm which is when I usually eat on a FD so I’m thinking that some of it was psychological. I eased off on the fluids a couple of hours ago in the hope that I don’t get up more than once during the night, but it is more difficult to gauge how much water I need after an hour of sweating in the gym and not eating anything at all. I don’t have a headache so I guess I’ve got it right.
    RT, I have some small cans of diet tonic water in the fridge and I will probably have one tomorrow with ice and lemon and kid myself there’s some gin in it πŸ˜‰

I’ve been lucky with the reactions from family and friends. My brother was very supportive of my efforts and understood the science behind fasting. He was also of the opinion that I looked good and was much happier so it must be the right thing for me to do!
    My best friend has been great and neither her or my other close friends have tried to force food on me which has made life much easier.
    I won’t be broadcasting my 3 day effort until I’ve done it though πŸ˜†

I’ve been watching Olympic tennis since 3pm and have now moved on to the gymnastics. I’m not sure that I can manage another floor exercise after all those sets of tennis πŸ˜›

Amazon,
    I broke my fast this evening at about 8pm, but by then could happily have not eaten as the urge to eat had passed by then. 4pm ish was my peak too.

RT,
    I’ve never liked fizzy drinks (except for tonic water with gin…or lemonade with Pimms… And then I go full sugar I’m afraid 😊 ), but I wouldn’t be prepared to give up an almond or oat milk coffee first thing on a fast day.

As you say, no cal or low cal, and what we each need to do to get us through! But still…diet fizzies….urgh !!

Slimn, great news on your Mum btw! Nice to be a role model for our parents!

Fantastic news regarding your mum Slimn. I look forward to hearing of her progress πŸ˜€
    Well done RT Amazon and Happy. Skilled fasters all. I believe the hunger peak at 4pm is related to low salt, habit and your low time of the day..all coinciding.
    Keep up the good work RT. You are obviously hyped πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ P

Hello,
    When I have my coffee in the morning on my FDw/ that splash of milk and stevia i can easily reach 19:5 or more. Sometime about how I start my day tells how successful it will be.
    Since I came back from vacation neither gain nor loss. I am hoping that this week the words from RT echoes when I look at my own fat and let that be my own body’s meal. Congrats btw RT about your lifestyle change. We see here many good examples.
    Today I’ve watched the series from Michael Polla’s – Cooked and I was amazed how simple can one bake a real bread. Purple I just iniciated that starter maybe with a 1/2 spoon of real pineapple juice. It’s gonna be a great experiment.
    I am LCHF lately however I indulge myself with black rice or quinoa. I need the fiber from them otherwise I get in trouble … You know what I am saying.
    Slim I was never successful with any of my family members. My youngest brother is obese and all his metabolic markers are away of balance. We’ll see if he reads the book from MM.
    Miso is one of my favorites soups! It’s reserved for winter. My only concern is how high the sodium content is… Maybe there’s a low sodium option… I’ll check it out.
    Happy Fasting and congrats to you losers and maintainers πŸ™

Congrats HCB on getting through the holiday unscathed!
    Of course, use real pineapple juice straight from the pineapple for the sourdough starter. I used unsweetened juice from a can of pineapple pieces as it was available on the day.
    Miso is relatively high sodium, but a good source in the afternoon on fast days, if you are developing headaches.
    Off to get an instant weight loss…a haircut! 3rd fast day in a row, but not the full Montey like RT,…fast meal each night. Works for me. Vive la difference! πŸ˜€ P

Good Morning All,
    I had a bad day ‘will power’ day yesterday so am beginning a four day water fast today. I have succeeded at this before and felt great. The fast period is not the problem for me but constipation and regain ‘post’ fast are an issue. This time I plan to increase water a little more and record result.
    Happy if I could get fasting and dieting right I wouldn’t need this thread. At least I continue to try, best I can offer. We are, what we are, I am not claiming to be an expert faster or a strong person. I am a needy and emotional person that needs support not a machine that can switch into ‘full control’. You had 2 stone to loose I had 7, it’s a different journey.
    I have not been in the right ‘head space’ lately ( personal reasons) and there is no ‘cure’ for that, bit like ‘bladder weakness” it’s just life, sometimes it just “sucks”. It’s not an excuse for failure, it just is me, self destructing idiot that I am. But I am honest which I hope helps others like me. I have accepted that I have a very long journey and I need to change everything about my relationship with food.

I work very hard at creating diverting activities to keep me from ‘non stop’ eating for comfort, they don’t always work but at least the eating window is smaller permanently.

I was up three times last night but so tired I got back to sleep almost before my head hit the pillow. I drink carbonated and tap water all day and evening especially when out and about, it stops me eating non stop or drinking calorie laden drinks. I too think diet drinks are a mistake (even though I am a fan of the occasional gin and slimline tonic ) because scientific evidence has shown that people eat more not less when they drink these, they feel they can have more because they have had less calories in the drink. The insulin spike is the same ( or is it more) as full sugar drinks so fat storage is the result, who needs help storing fat, not me? I probably have two alcoholic drinks per week at the moment which I think is reasonable.

My brother has stopped his diebetic medication after adapting to a ‘no sugar’ diet for three months and one stone lost. But he hasn’t given up the red wine, which is his daily pleasure.

I have had latte twice whilst on gate duty, really dislike any other coffee, but no junk food at all at my post yet there is plenty available. I always take an apple which I eat only if I need it. Three more shifts to do and no more latte, that’s a promise. My holiday got me back into the habit of milky drinks, my SIL lives on the stuff. Interestingly I noted that a recent diet comparison TV show promoted that three glasses of full fat milk per day prevented weight gain in a ‘control group’ because they ate less food. Of course they didn’t lose weight either. The sandwiches I have eaten have been instead of meals before or after work. No shopping or food preparation for me this week as never at home, out from 8 am until 11 pm. Meals out are always healthy options, that discipline is set for life, never pudding.

Keep learning and keep adapting, hopefully we will get there.
    Good Luck Amazon, thinking of you!
    Looking forward to seeing you in the UK Wiwi have a good journey.

Morning/evening all,

When I made sourdough I used flour and water for my starter and nothing else. It took 10 days for it to be powerful enough to make a decent loaf but once the 10 days had passed it was perfect.
    I did a fair amount of reading regarding starters beforehand and I decided against adding anything. I had to stop making it as I was eating far too much of it but hope to go back to it one day.

I slept really well last night and of course I don’t feel hungry this morning.
    It’ll be interesting to see how I get on at the gym this morning.

Purple, at 4pm I went to the kitchen to make a hot drink and stuck my finger in the salt pot and it made a huge difference to the way I felt.

I have moved from diet to full fat tonic but still have a couple of cans of diet in the fridge that I found in the back of the store cupboard. I don’t drink fizzy stuff apart from sparkling water, but I gave that up a few weeks ago, although I have bought a couple of bottles to get through this week as I thought it would help πŸ™‚

Slightly cooler today and tomorrow to give us a break before the next heatwave at the weekend πŸ˜‰

Amazon fantastic good stuff you are getting your groove on…… it will be Friday before we know it 😯
    Keep on Keeping On πŸ’‘
    Peace RT πŸ˜‰

Amazon,
    I am with you
    Bread of any description is just too moorish to have in the house.
    Just having a green tea, first today, I think hot drinks work better than cold. Even resorting to hot water with a slice of lemon. I may try the salt trick later if I need it but I am not keen on the flavour, never add it to food.

Good Morning,
    I did sleep like a baby also up only once to go to the loo like you guys call it πŸ˜‚
    Today is cloudy but yet cool which I prefer. There’s always something to be done and the upper part of our house is to hot when temperatures raise, we have no central air here.
    We are doing a trip in September starting in Rapid City, Montana, Canada (border), Idaho the end in Salt Lake City. I am going to AAA to get help to put the mileage together… It’s only a 9 day trip.
    Jo what do you think it’s getting in your way to shred more pounds or sabotaging your good intentions? I think sometimes we know what makes us stuck.
    I am not an experienced Faster and my goal it’s only 20 pounds! We are here to help and support each other. To me just being on a non judgmental environment helps a lot. I am a very sensible person that keep things very private and never open up about my fears, frustrations and wishes. People misunderstand me a lot perhaps it’s because I come across something else. I am not strong and tough as thought.
    My starter was little bubbly today! When is the time to feed it water and flour! It’s sitting at the counter breathing fresh air πŸ‘
    My husband is 86 years old! While I am looking for excuses not to eat with him I need to be creative in how to feed him. His doctor prescribed fluoxetine back in March for his anxiety and I believe this particular drug it’s taking his appetite away. Lately I am trying to make him heavy on carbs. There isn’t anything fat or sugar free in our house.
    Happy Fasting to you! Mine is tomorrow ❀️

Hello everybody, hope you are all well.

I can’t drink slimline or sugar free because I am allergic to saccharine. If I eat or drink anything with even the slightest amount of saccharine my muscles cramp and I’m in agony until I’ve drunk about two or three litres of water to dilute it. I’m also allergic to caffeine as it makes me very nauseous and affects my nerves in a big way, so I can’t drink green tea unfortunately.

I might have a go at the Miso soup you mentioned. I’ve been having a cup of hot Bovril on a FD afternoon as that is similar to an Oxo cube and contains some salt which helps with the occasional headaches.

I’ve started baking wholemeal bread again though I have never tried sourdough as it looks too difficult. Can it be baked in a bread machine? I came to the conclusion that although it is called ‘The Fast Diet’ it is, as you all keep saying, a way of life and not a diet. If it was a diet I wouldn’t be touching bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc., but as it’s a way of life I cannot envisage the rest of my life not being able to eat any of them, so I shall keep eating them in moderation such as potatoes with Sunday Lunch and pasta with mince once a week. I think as long as I continue to calorie count, stay below the TDEE of 2100 calories for my ideal weight & 525 calories on a fast day and pedal like mad on the turbo trainer for 30 minutes every day I can still eat the so called forbidden foods. Works for me anyway.

Hi HCB
    I’m at the other end of the day…off to bed. Another fast, another fast meal. Easy.
    Feed the starter whenever you remember…daily, 3 days apart, whatever. To keep it active, feed daily, to slow down, keep it in a sealed container in the fridge.
    To make bread, mix 1/2 the stater with 200gm good wholemeal flour and 200ml filtered water. Leave, covered with plastic for 12 hours. Add 300gm more flour, 10gm salt, 1tbs oil and any seeds or grains you want. Add a bit more water to make it wettish. Knead by hand or machine for 10 minutes. Leave to rise in a large greased bread tin for 12 hours, covered with plastic and a teatowel. Bake for 35 mins at 200deg C. Take out of tin and wrap on a teatowel. Store, when cool in a plastic bag or container in the fridge. Keeps for ages.
    It is excellent for gluten intolerant folk and to help with constipation. ..1 slice, toasted, a few days a week. πŸ˜€
    ‘Night all. P

Ps Hi Jim. I don’t bake the sourdough in my bread machine as the rise period isn’t long enough for the delicate sourdough gremlins. ☺

Slim I consider it a WOL. I eat a little of everything… Just be vigilant not to go back into old habits which I normally do therefore yoking 😨

Love you P ❀️
    My starter is at my quiet, dark bacteria corner in the kitchen. Before I go to bed I’ll give you it some flour and water. I copied your entire post so I can use later. If anything goes wrong I can always start this experiement again 😘

Hi everyone,

Another good morning at the gym. I thought I might struggle but all waswell and once again the place was deserted so I had another 30 minute swim and had the pool to myself for the first 15 minutes which was bliss πŸ™‚

I did get cramp in my calf when I was doing my stretches so I’ll be having a couple of mugs of Bovril today along with some salt. Apart from that it was a thoroughly enjoyable morning 😎

I won’t pretend I’m not feeling a bit peckish but it is nothing like I thought it might be and easy to deal with, and I’m now considering making FDs food free.

Jim, it is definitely a way of life and I have to say I don’t want to go back to the old one. I use to feel tired and lethargic for much of the time and I contributed that to working full time, but I now know it was my diet. Losing weight has freed me from a permanently painful and swollen knee along with various other aches and pains that were due to being obese and unfit, and has enabled me to exercise properly several times a week. I am now fitter than I’ve been for most of my adult life and intend to stay that way.
    When I went to Cambodia in January I was no longer the fat one at the back struggling to get up the hill as I was able to cope with everything easily including a 27k bike ride in 30C heat and it made me feel so good.
    It also makes all the hard work at the gym worthwhile and worth continuing.

Hello all,
    Its late here and we are just back from driving through three states in four days! But I wanted to catch up on everyones news before bed……. Husband had a half days work interstate, so we integrated that with the scenic route home and have come home very refreshed. We had some beautiful weather as well as some rain and the countryside looked delicious – so green everywhere after a wet winter, lots of new crops taking off, baby wheat and barley grass and canola starting to flower in brilliant yellow. For me though, the highlight was detouring to some old grain silos (in a tiny Victorian town called Brim) that were painted as a mural last Dec/Jan. Google Brim Silo Art, very impressive, amazing in person.
    I decided not to fast and just aim for sensible restraint, hmm …. worked fine til we called in on Sis in law today and she celebrated our visit with a huge home cooked lunch! Luckily, the previous evening we had arrived very late to our overnight stay and were too tired to find dinner, so made do with some strawberries and yoghurt that I had on board. Fasting has certainly educated us both that we wont expire overnight without dinner!
    I wanted to comment about miso as there was mention of it, plus Purple’s interesting post. I have recently been copying Cinque’s ritual of a bowl of homemade Miso soup on fast days and must report that the ‘real’ version is (just like all soups) unbelievably better than the sachets of instant stuff. I just make a simple vegetable stock first thing on a fast day, adding whatever veggies are handy. Finely sliced onion, some spring onions and baby silver beet leaves from the garden, some slices of pickled ginger, celery slices and tops. A generous handful of sliced, dried Shiitake mushrooms and whatever else I find in the cupboard. Then when ready to eat it, I add finely diced fresh chicken breast and simmer a few minutes. I serve a big bowl with a spoon of miso paste mixed in and freeze the rest of the stock for another day. Traditionally it should have kelp I think, but I really don’t like the texture of kelp and the veggies I add to the stock are a good substitute. It is really satisfying and very low calorie and not nearly as salty as the sachets. Its been a revelation to me as I thought it would just be a watery soup until I tried making it – the flavours are subtle and beautiful. The Shiitake mushrooms are divine and the pickled ginger combines well. Maybe its the result of fasting, as (?) nearly Slim says, when even burnt broccoli tastes good!

Nama,
    Your trip sounds great I will check out the art.
    That soup sound delicious but then anything would at this point in zero cal fast day. Just off to work, let music be the food of love for me. Water bottle ready and sachets of green tea in my pocket.
    HCB- my failure is down to eating when bored or fed up, it’s an old habit that I am still working out of my system. Luckily I am good at keeping busy. It was hell refusing tea and biscuits at bowls today I was really hungry. I had water as I had left my teabags in my car at a friends house. That won’t happen again, hot drinks are essential to me.
    I am aiming to drink 5 pints of water today, 4 drunk so far.
    Have a good evening friends.

Hi everyone,

I am now enjoying my glass of gin free G&T πŸ˜‰

Today has been harder than yesterday but once again not as difficult as I had feared. I am over the 4pm hunger and know that I’ll be OK for the remainder of the day.

I’ve been torturing myself looking at recipes as I have a friend coming for dinner on Friday and I was searching for some ideas. It hasn’t driven me to raid the fridge though πŸ˜‡

We all have our triggers that drives to a not so good road. Don’t we!
    Nama what a nice scenic drive of yours. All of those things that makes life worth living and Fasting πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    All of a sudden started to rain and is to humid. I got our trip routed, cleaned a bit, cooked and now taking a little brake. I will go walking later this afternoon.
    ☠☠☠-my down side is when I intent do drink one or two glasses of wine and don’t obey myself. This normally happens when I am bored, upset, frustrated. I feel bad for the unecessary misbehavior afterwords. I am getting better but sometimes I go those steps back πŸ’£πŸ’£πŸ’£πŸ’£
    See you later

Hi Jojo out from 8am to 11pm every day for the week I do hope they are paying you well πŸ’‘ I have snaffled some pages of knowledge and wish you well on your 96 hour adventure there is a lot of talk about bone broth having awesome and powerful properties why not give it a try a recipe is in here I hope this helps you along with some other tricks to try and give some encouragement and support
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/practical-fasting-tips-part-12/
    And Jason Fung’s
    Top 8 Intermittent Fasting tips
    1. Drink water: Start each morning with a full eight-ounce glass of water.
    2. Stay busy: It’ll keep your mind off food. It often helps to choose a busy day at work for a fast day.
    3. Drink coffee: Coffee is a mild appetite suppressant. Green tea, black tea, and bone broth may also help.
    4. Ride the waves: Hunger comes in wave; it is not continuous. When it hits, slowly drink a glass of water or a hot cup of coffee. Often by the time you’ve finished, your hunger will have passed.
    5. Don’t tell anybody you are fasting: Most people will try to discourage you, as they do not understand the benefits. A close-knit support group is often beneficial, but telling everybody you know is not a good idea.
    6. Give yourself one month: It takes time for your body to get used to fasting. The first few times you fast may be difficult, so be prepared. Don’t be discouraged. It will get easier.
    7. Follow a nutritious diet on non-fast days: Intermittent fasting is not an excuse to eat whatever you like. During non-fasting days, stick to a nutritious diet low in sugars and refined carbohydrates.
    8. Don’t’ binge: After fasting, pretend it never happened. Eat normally, as if you had never fasted.
    The last and most important tip is to fit fasting into your own life! Do not limit yourself socially because you’re fasting. Arrange your fasting schedule so that it fits in with your lifestyle. There will be times during which it’s impossible to fast: vacation, holidays, weddings. Do not try to force fasting into these celebrations. These occasions are times to relax and enjoy. Afterwards, however, you can simply increase your fasting to compensate. Or just resume your regular fasting schedule. Adjust your fasting schedule to what makes sense for your lifestyle.
    The question is not β€œWhy are you fasting?”, but β€œWhy are you NOT fasting?”
    Peace RT

Viewing 50 posts - 15,701 through 15,750 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.