Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 14,551 through 14,600 (of 16,657 total)

• Hello Fasters

I have been absent for a few days, and back home in the murk.
    Anaide, so sorry about your son. Yes you must live that everyday. I hope on a physical you are finding fasting already is having an effect. Where in Brazil do you live?

JoJo, so glad you are getting back into it.
    RT, because you are on a holiday, do we miss out on the Friday funnies and the wisdom?
    It seems cold in the SH, enjoy the benefits of winter.
    Spring disappeared here a few days ago and it’s cold. I did a good fast yesterday, along with 1 kilometre in the pool, and 8K steps. I notice I swim faster now that I have less to push up and down the pool.

There is one other effect of fasting, I do not snore any more according to OH! I am happy about this.

I went to see my doctor the other day to get some blood tests. It’s interesting, that he said that I need to have a BMI of 25% plus 10%, as he would worry that I could lose bone mass if I am less. This seems reasonable, but as we know doctors have their own way of seeing things. The other interesting thing is he says that the brain needs glycogen to function (we also all know that), but I do find that I sometimes do find it hard to concentrate on fast days, so that could be an explanation. I will continue with a handful of nuts on fast days. I would be interested to hear any comments on his advice on those issues. The third piece of advice was that 5:2 is enough. He said I was unlikely to follow that for the moment, but when I get to goal …….. maybe.
    We are off to Italy on Saturday for 10 days, so fasting tomorrow and Saturday to anticipate this. There is a sort of pasta I especially like in Rome called Strezzopretti ( strangled priests!). This is the pasta they put into a scooped out wheel of Parmesan which has been heated with alcohol and a flame. It has a lot of black pepper too. Not fast day food.

Happy Fasting.
    Wiwi

Morning/evening all

“Bircher Muesli was developed around 1900 by Swiss physician Maximilian Bircher-Brenner for his patients and is still a very popular breakfast throughout Switzerland and Germany. The original recipe called for much more fresh fruit than grain and soaked the raw oats overnight since they took some time to soften. Nowadays, a soak time of 30-60 minutes seems to suffice when using quick oats”

This is the foreward to the recipe I used the first time I made Bircher Muesli. I make it one portion ar a time and weigh/measure as I go along. I rarely soak the oats longer than 30 minutes. I don’t stick to the recipe either. Unsweetened almond milk has so few calories and IMO tastes better than fruit juice. I vary the fruit, nuts and seeds depending what I have but at the moment I’m trying to cut down the dried fruit and have more seeds and nuts plus fresh fruit and I prefer berries, stone fruit or figs but in the depths of winter I use tropical fruit such as passion fruit and blueberries can be bought all year round.
    I top it with some homemade yoghurt.

I started making it as I used to make batches of granola and the portions were getting larger plus I couldn’t keep my hands out of the jar so I needed to find an alternative and remove temptation.
    Some days I just have the yoghurt with a sprinkling of other ingredients. I like to ensure I have the seeds as they contain so many good things including the much needed fibre. I only eat it a couple of times a week on non FDs (obviously) ๐Ÿ™‚

I need to stop talking about it now as I intend to fast until I go out for dinner this evening!

I overslept this morning so my gym session has been moved to tomorrow.
    It is less overcast than yesterday and dry but still doesn’t look very much like 1st June ๐Ÿ™

Wiwi,

The brain does need glycogen to function as it is unable to use anything else. It also uses 600 calories per day. That shouldn’t make any difference if you are a seasoned faster as your body should have adapted to manufacturing sufficient glycogen for your brain. As for struggling to concentrate on FDs, maybe you are lacking in something else.

As for losing bone mass, part of my job was to manage the bone densitometry service and in my experience there were quite a few skinny women who suffered from osteoporosis. The patients completed a diet and lifestyle questionnaire and it became obvious to me that the majority had poor/unbalanced diets and did no exercise whatsover.
    There were also a large number of women who were overweight and osteoporotic due to a lifetime of following a vegetarian diet, and keeping out of the sun, so they lacked vitamin D and calcium.

As you are very knowledgeable regarding nutrition and do a huge amount of exercise it is extremely unlikely that you would lose bone mass but your doctor will be giving the same advice to any woman of a similar age to you rather than tailoring it to the individual.

Which brings to mind the reason why we should all be embracing dairy unless we are intolerant to it.

I learned something new yesterday, my low carb living book says that when we follow a LCHF diet and our bodies use fat as the primary energy source, the kidneys excrete much more sodium so we need to ensure we increase the amount of salt we eat.

There is a reason for everything, including why I overslept this morning. Someone rang the doorbell and it was a delivery of flowers for me ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒน

Have a good one everybody ๐Ÿ˜œ

Thank you so much, Amazon, your advice is invaluable.
    I knew that doctors’ advice needs tempering by real experts.

When I did my knee replacement a few years ago, I learnt that surgeons are motor mechanics, but the physiotherapists do the real work!

Enjoy your flowers- it’s so nice to be valued isn’t it?
    Do you import your emoticoms, you and Bay are experts in emoticoms
    XX Wiwi

Strictly speaking the brain uses glucose, it cant store it as glycogen. Glycogen is the stored form of glucose and is stored by cells and the liver. The brain can use another substrate when glucose isn’t available. This would be the case when the person has been fasting for a long period of time or is on a ketogenic diet. The brain will then use beta hydroxybuterate BHB or what people call ketone bodies.

Here’s the original Dr Bircher Benner recipe from the 19th century, courtesy of Wiki. This is very much how my parents had it during the 1950s and 60s, though with fresh whole milk as they knew their milk sources. They did add raisins but saw it as a modification which they left out sometimes. My mother started making Kefir, but she didn’t mix it, they would eat it separately on a different day. I leave out the honey as I find it too sweet. I now make it more the way Amazon does.

“The original Bircher-Benner recipe consists of the following ingredients:

Apples, “[t]wo or three small apples or one large one.” The whole apple was to be used, including skin, core, and pips.
    Nuts, either walnuts, almonds, or hazelnuts, one tablespoon.
    Rolled oats, one tablespoon, “previously soaked in 3 tablespoons water for 12 hours.”
    Lemon juice from half a lemon.
    Either cream and honey or sweetened condensed milk, 1 tablespoon.[3]
    The dish was prepared by mixing the cream and honey or condensed milk with the soaked oats and lemon juice and, while stirring, grating the whole apple into the mixture. This method prevented the apple pulp from browning. The intent was to serve the dish fresh, immediately before any other dishes in the meal.

The option to substitute sweetened condensed milk instead of cream may have been a compromise due to hygiene concerns regarding fresh milk products in 1900 (bovine tuberculosis, etc.), before pasteurisation and refrigeration became commonly available.”

Just had the most awful day looking at my house after renting it for 3 years. People really are pigs and thank goodness I have the deposit to pay for a deep cleanse etc. She even stole my light fittings leaving bare wires hanging. Who does this? Cried my eyes out, but I need to focus on selling it and our new home in Canada and close the book here in Europe.

Will fast tomorrow as today is just too difficult.

I was writing the post above around the same time as Amazon’s long one, which is a really useful one – thanks. I have a slim osteoporotic friend who eats very standard balanced meals and consumes much more in a day than I do, including dairy, bread etc. with less exercise. I suspect her body may not be great at utilising fully what she eats.

I wonder whether the lack of concentration is perhaps because the brain is trying to switch from glycogen to ketones but not having time to complete that switch? Fung, Mosely and others who’ve said something about ketogenic diets, seem to think that initially it takes a few days of fasting or a VLC diet to accustom the body to converting fats to ketones and using them, but that once it’s used to it the process is quicker, as little as 24 hours. The 5:2 doesn’t use a ketogenic diet but the BSD is nearer it with under 30g of carbs. Some writers on the Internet live on a ketogenic diet, including some athletes, and say that brain fog clears and concentration is improved. One writer (Hyperlipid) says that he lives on the borderline, going in and out of ketosis, which he is happy to do.

Any thoughts, guys?

Oh, shame, Ali. Poor you. How strange and awful some people can be, how do they think they are ok to do that? Quickly to the DIY store for cheap and cheerful replacements, perhaps?

Good Morning,
    Beautiful day here again and it’s finally a little cooler. My good girlfriend from Zurich is in NYC for couple of days and coming to Town to have lunch with another friend but our date will be for coffee afterwords in a beautiful marina overlooking Lond Island Sound. She is not staying for dinner this time.
    Apricot are you Swiss?
    Amazon there’s nothing like fresh cut floweres. Our peonies and rhododendron are all blooming at once now. I like the fragrant smell is peonies in the kitchen.
    Wiwi I would strangle any priest to eat that pasta. I saw that on Facebook and would love to taste someday.
    Ali I have stories to tell you from a landlord standpoint and I hear the same from everybody. It is part of the business!
    Happy Fasting and keep going strong everyone ๐Ÿ’–
    B

Apricot,

The brain cannot switch from glycogen to ketones, it has to have glycogen which is always available as fructose is metabolised by the liver and turned into a glucose like substance which is used by the body in the same way as glucose. It is also stored in our muscles. Our bodies would not allow stores to run out if it is essential to brain function.

The book I’m reading says that it takes the body 2 weeks to fully convert to their definition of LCHF.

Our bodies are capable of adapting to utilising whatever we eat in order to survive and going in and out of ketosis on a regular basis should not be an issue.
    I once followed the Atkins diet for a few months and succesfully lost a lot of weight which of course all piled back on when I started earing carbs again. While I was on the diet I felt great after the first week or so and never lacked energy and had no problem working full time either from a physical or mental point of view.

As for your slim friend, osteoporosis is also hereditary. I know someone who has it and she is fit and active and has always eaten a healthy balanced diet, but looking back we agree that her Mother almost certainly suffered from it but this was before it was something that was monitored or treated.

Wiwi,

I have a question for you, do you ever lack concentration on non FDs? We all suffer from it on occasion and I wonder if you are so sensitive to how your body is reacting on FDs that you notice it more than any other time.

Apricot & Amazon,

Strictly speaking the brain uses glucose and not glycogen. When there is not a lot of glucose available (starvation, extended fasting or ketogenic diet) the brain will use ketones (Beta hydroxybuterate) as its primary energy source although some glucose is still needed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK28048/

When I first started doing 5:2 I would do two consecutive water fast days. For about a month I would get headaches, not bad but persistent. This went away but I would still have a foggy brain and a sense of uneasiness. I put this down to a lack of glucose and the fact that ketone production was quite poor. This has disappeared in the last few months and I now do my water fasts with ease. So for me it took about 6-7 months before I was going into ketosis with ease. Initially I was just going into ketosis after 60 hours of water fasting and my head felt slightly fuzzy. I measured this with a glucose/keto meter. I now do 6:1 and am into ketosis by the end of 24 hours. No headache, no fuzziness etc. but its taken a full 6-7 months for this to happen. I suspect that my liver is now able to really crank up fat conversion whereas it was quite poor at doing this in the early days.

Do people need to do this as part of 5:2. No not at all, I however find that there are benefits in doing this which are not related to weight loss.

Hi Amazon, Apricot and Bigbooty

Interesting discussion going on, and I’ll follow up on the book, Bigbooty. It’s true, Apricot, I get a big foggy at 4pm which is a danger time for me anyway either FD or non-FD. Probably need a siesta.
    It still takes me 36 hours to get into ketosis, Bigbooty. It’s sounds as though your body gets rid of food faster.
    Doctors are dangerous- consult fellow fasters- much better. I’ll remeber that next time.
    Thanks a lot
    Wiwi

Hello girls!

Ali wants to wear a bikini
    Coldpizza
    Tangatawiwi
    Jojo58

Thanks for the kind words, does very well the spirit get attention of people so far!

Tangatawiwi’m from the south, Curitiba Paranรก state capital, now is winter here, not very strict temperature 5-20 degrees Celsius.

very beautiful city, all speak the most European city in Brazil.

Hugs!

Hello Wiwi,
    Fortunately my brain has not been effected by fasting. My moods certainly were in the early days. I have done 1 x 5 day fast which left me euphoric. I now understand that this is very common and down to brain chemistry, apparently. I did 1×3 day fast, also felt great. Weight loss goodbut quick regain. Interesting to detox though, felt very light. Both were water and green tea only. Fasting is the easy part, controlling food on non fast days is the hard bit.
    Fast going really well today but I have been very busy. Writing to you from my cat sitting job, having nice cuddles.
    As a landlord I have suffered bad tenants this year but I have a good one at the moment. Swings and roundabouts! But it is distressing to find your accommodation ruined. Out tenants deposit only covered 1/4 of the damage done.
    Interesting discussion on Brain, I will read up on it. Keep eating the nuts Wiwi.

Yes, I’ve read that too about four weeks to adjust to LCHF. But Michael M and others, including Atkins, say that the body will start to produce ketones if the glucose stores are not there, which would happen much earlier on a very low carb diet or if fasting. It takes a while to learn to live on such a diet.

You are of course right re glucose and glycogen, which last is the storage form of glucose. My error, I got them wrong way round.

It’s not really an error Apricot as we are not scientists writing a paper ๐Ÿ™‚
    The point that I was making is that the brain requires glucose and that I doubt it is the switch from one energy source to another causing lack of concentration which Wiwi has since acknowledged is more of a 4pm occurrence than a FD one ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’ve felt very hungry, cold and even miserable when fasting but I’ve only felt lightheaded when in need of salt and/or water.

Yes that’s interesting re the lightheadedness. I’ve taken note of that when you said it on another thread. I noticed yesterday I was drinking colossal amounts of water, really needing it, but still managed to blow the fast day in the evening. Had 24 hours ok, though. Sure you’re right re Wiwi.

Overcoming hunger and/or the urge to eat when we are trying to lose weight is mostly about willpower and we all have occasions when we are unable to summon up enough to get us through. I’ve blown many a FD but I’m still losing weight albeit rather slowly at present. Life chucks so many obstacles in our way and just when we think it’s OK our body betrays us by holding onto our fat because it doesn’t want us to starve!
    I sometimes wonder how any of us manage to lose weight let alone keep it off.

JoJo and Amazon, thanks for the advice – I’ve ordered the Fast Diet book and feel a bit better today. I think meds I’m on might impact on weight but not sure – I really eat too much of the wrong stuff. I get very tired because of a bad work / life balance and insomnia but sleep slowly improving. I had a fairly good day today and hope I can repeat it tomorrow.

Anaide, I’m so sorry to hear about your loss and I wish you peace of mind. Take good care of yourself – sending you a warm virtual hug xo
    Aine

Hi Wiwi,

My guess is that either my liver is not completely full of glycogen or that it is able to flip over to metabolising fats a lot faster than it used to. Probably in the last month or so fasting has been very easy for me. Initially I was a little concerned because I was finding it so easy. Weird but true. I try and get most of my carbs from veggies. I still eat meat, not a lot though and I love my cheese.

I don’t think doctors are dangerous, I don’t think many have a sufficient enough knowledge of nutrition. Not saying I do, I just know enough to be dangerous. I suspect that most are 20 years behind current research in the field of nutrition. Unfortunately the policy makers are probably 40 years out of date, hence they still push the food pyramid with refined grains supposedly a healthy thing to eat.

Hi Fast Trackers
    Nicky Emel and Aussie O in South Australia Nama in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi France Barata in NZ and Jojo HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Weemam Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB Tessy pen nib Iona72 Pentimento pranayama and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Well fair to say Iona Penti and Prana have all been MIA of late as well as quite a few others
    (You All know Who You ARE) ๐Ÿ˜‰
    hoping all is well fast friends
    I donโ€™t usually not follow the fast life or WOL it has to be doable if at home or away so I can get 10000 steps no worries I can fast Monday and Thursday I just need to plan plan plan plan and as we know the flexibility of 5-2 means we can sneak in 2 fast days in 7 somewhere along the line if anything I might drop back to somewhere between 16/8 18/6 rather than the 19/5 daily the weather has been just beautiful really outstanding 6 overnight and 20 through the day blue sky with sunshine we have been truly fortunate and I feel very blessed to be alive. I am the chef at home and it is no different in the van and I really enjoy working the small space to create the magic last night some chicken tenderloins with salad & chargrilled veg with balsamic vinegar & olive oil dressing awesome real music playing on the laptop Elton John thankyou no TV !!! no open fire camp cooking this time around only 2 nights in 3 caravan parks Loxton,Berri and Barmera (Lake Bonney) then home on Sunday cheap as chips and very joyful with no kids no pets or hassles the grey nomads we have joined it seems ๐Ÿ˜ฏ A Tourist Information Officer asked me do I have a seniors card NO I DO NOT !! ๐Ÿ˜† I take offence to this all in good fun of course after all I am only 52 CRIKEY I did have yfee with me obviously there is the cause ๐Ÿ˜‰ Dear Wiwi absolutely there will not be any change to my routine or agenda whether the Friday funny or 5-2 and fasting on a short road trip isnโ€™t the internet and wifi or mobile broadband like I have a wonderful thing hey as for the wisdom like beauty it is the eye of the beholder I am sure ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Amazon you go girl isnโ€™t it funny that some of us have a real thirst for knowledge and as such the main driver to always soak up information so letโ€™s just do what you do well !!
    โ€œIโ€™ve started reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. There is a lot of detailed information regarding human physiology but it is fascinating. It follows the same line of thinking of other books weโ€™ve discussed regarding the role of insulin in causing us to regain or have problems losing weight and another term โ€œcarbohydrate intoleranceโ€ is used. It is described as causing raised blood glucose, raised truglyceride and cholesterol levels and hypertension and of course weight gain.โ€ Looking forwards Amazon to your review are you having 1 or 2 bullion cubes daily now? I have a USB simply labelled (fasting) and I have wall to wall you tube stuff from these guys and a whole heap more it really is a total fascination to me or as yfee is prone to suggesting an obsession ๐Ÿ˜ฏ that I watch all the time.
    Ok Thursday Fast Friends letโ€™s Get Our fast On !!!
    โ€œIt is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once startedโ€
    Peace RT

Hi bigb
    I agree that the medical fraternity needs to be dragged kicking and screaming towards latest, proven, information. I guess we can all be guilty of sticking with the known, especially when we see ourselves as time poor.
    I bought my GP a copy of The Obesity Code as I’m concerned he has witnessed our success, but needs the scientific evidence, not just anecdotal.
    Regarding ease of fasting, my husband and I have both been fasting twice a week for over 3 years. We eat exactly the same on fast days … no calories for 24 hours, about 350-400 cals, then none for a further 15 hours. He never struggles. I have some fasts where I am desperate to eat, especially around 3pm. More often than not, fasts are hard work for me. I don’t put it down to anything more than being individual. I LOVE food. Think about it ALL the time. He simply eats it out of habit. Vive la difference! P โ˜บ
    EDIT: G’day RT. Glad the trip’s going well. I feel for poor wyfee โ˜บโ˜บโ˜บ

Love your work, RT. I reckon many of us are self confessed obsessives on 5:2. Bay ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐Ÿš—๐Ÿš—โ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธ

Hello,
    “Without sick people there aren’t any lobbyists, Big Pharma and Doctors”

I had had such a good day today! What was supposed to meet my girlfriend and driving to the trein station we ended up coming to our home! Laughs over our wedding pic that I was crying over last Monday… A few fermented glasses of grape juice and she is spending the night. No plan and the best plan ๐Ÿ˜.
    The Fast goes on tomorrow! I don’t like to eat that late but 5:2 for now.

RT – I could hardly wait to be 50 to receive the AARP (American Associstion of Retired People) card. I’ve been claiming discounts with my husband’s card and yes lol that park privilege as well. They forgot me … No card yet :()
    Be strong everyone ๐Ÿ˜‰
    B

P,

I had an easy fast yesterday…once I’d accepted the reality and disappointment that I wouldn’t be eating all day ๐Ÿ™‚ The thing I miss most on a fast day is my natural yoghurt, nuts and seeds late morning! It’s hardly classic comfort food though, so why? Perhaps my gut misses it rather than my brain?!

Jo,

I was interested to read your thoughts on joining the gym! Before we moved to the sticks I was a member for years, but struggled to get my money’s worth in summer when the weather was nice. I much prefer my exercise outdoors too. But it really came into it’s own in winter when the days are short and dark and its wet/cold.

Amazon, you’ll be interested in this! I came across the following on the benefits of exercise before breakfast:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/heres-the-best-time-of-day-to-work-out-to-lose-weight-a7059696.html

I must admit my favoured time for strenuous exercise is 3-6pm, and it’s always after work in the week, but maybe I’ll rethink that…when I retire!

Not fasting today, although I should probably keep it light – we’ve got visitors for 5 days and that always means a little too much food and vino tinto ๐Ÿ™‚

Morning/evening all,

RT, glad to hear you are having a good time ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy,
    thanks for the link. It isn’t news to me, and I’m impressed that they specified the length of the study and the age and sex of the volunteers.
    I’m sure it was the fast diet book where I read that women do better with regard to the quality of their workout when they exercise on an empty stomach. I work out first thing because if I didn’t I would never get to the gym and the thought of doing vigorous exercise after eating is a no-no, so it was an easy decision. I also figured that if I do it the morning after a FD I must be using fat stores as energy ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I went out for dinner last night and when we left the restaurant just after 10pm it felt more like December than June. This cold snap is horrible. Forecast says temperatures back up to 21ยฐC by the weekend. I seriously considered putting the heating on yesterday but had a hot bath instead.
    It doesn’t look too promising this morning and the wind is bitterly cold ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

I got through yesterday on a handful of almonds and then had an Indian meal. A lovely spicy lamb and lentil curry, 2 veg dishes between 3 and some Naan which I couldn’t resist plus one beer. They ate popadoms and after dinner chocolates while I polished my halo ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gym this morning on an empty stomach but it won’t be followed by a high carb breakfast!

Out for tea and cake this afternoon so FDs F/S this week.

Yesterday’s fast was one of the easy ones, Happy. Absolutely no way of predicting.
    I used to be a member of a gym, but could not justify the cost as I prefer outdoor activity and hate being told how and when to exercise. I find I prefer mornings and particularly fast days, but will also run on the spot while watching tv, if I haven’t done enough steps, or feel the need to move.
    I believe we should all listen mire carefully to our bodies when it comes to food and exercise. If you can really learn to tune in again, it is surprising how well it can guide you. We all know not to eat that sickly sweet muffin or plate of chips, so why do we? We all know we should get up and move, so why not just do it? Seize the moment. Live in the present. Don’t overthink and micromanage your whole life. ๐Ÿ˜ŠP

Hi Purple,

Like you I love food and thinking about eating is never far from my mind and the fact that I’m learning to be more discriminate in choosing when and what I eat has been a bigger achievement than losing weight, something I’ve done too many times before. The biggest challenge I have at the moment is also somewhere I’ve been before, tantalisingly close to goal but struggling to get there. I’m determined to make it happen this time but sometimes it is so hard.
    Last night I was in the company of two slim friends who didn’t pass comment when I said no thanks to popadoms and it was easy not to order and eat too much food but in other company I find it more difficult as it would have been “what do you mean you don’t want any popadoms, of course you do….”

Bay is spot on when she says many of us are obsessives with regard to 5:2 but I think that is because we have all struggled with being overweight/obese and/or health issues and have finally come to realise how much better life can be if we are as fit and healthy as possible.

I am doing my very best to seize the moment and thoroughly enjoying it ๐Ÿ˜‹

You are indeed Amazon! I can’t wait to catch up with you again and see the finished product. ๐Ÿ˜Š I often think about that wet wet day in London getting to know you and Jo. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š P

Good morning all. I’m just checking in as I’m going to try and make a daily habit of reading the posts rather than letting it all build up and having a ‘binge’ on them every 3 days or so. I’ve just realised that this is my approach to most things. Work, TV, cleaning, gym and food of course etc. Does anyone else struggle with getting a balance?
    Anyway, today has started well as I’m just in from a 7am gym session and I haven’t been for about 5 weeks. This time last year I was pretty fit and about 2 stone lighter. Got to be positive! Back on track now, I hope.
    Good luck to everyone today – I’m going to have a ‘normal’ day (1400 cals) and fast tomorrow – trying not to react to pressure I feel to lose weight before my holiday in 4 weeks. Hope my book comes soon.
    Quick question before I go – I see people talk about doing 19 / 5 (or something like that) – what is that?
    All the best
    Aine

Aine333 have you watched the documentary? This will help explain how it works before you get the book.

http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/

I am fasting today as yesterday was a wash out. Managed to be good with the booze though and won’t be drinking this weekend as my hubbie is away and will be driving to all my social activities. Hopefully a few days of less socialising will sort me out.

Cleaners booked for tomorrow to clean my house and handyman booked to hang back all the curtain rails and lights my tenant left hanging. Goes on sale on Saturday so fingers crossed.

2 coffees for breakfast and now going to do an hours exercise. Interesting article about exercising before eating breakfast so might try this and see if it makes a difference.

Happy fasting everyone.

Morning everyone,
    Another sucessful fast day under my belt and resisted the biscuits at my games evening (it was tough because everyone else was eating them but I don’t really enjoy chocolate biscuits anyway, I decided the ginger cookies would stay in the box, I am giving them to a friend tomorrow).
    Drank lots of tea and had an apple and some olives which broke my fast but I felt it was a sensible option, so ‘not cured’ of snacking just yet.

I really feel that I am finally on the right path, let’s hope it pays off on the scales longterm. I am following the advice to ‘only eat when hungry’ per The Obesity Code. I know this has been advised before but I have always been a clock watcher even doing 19/5. I am now focussed on whether I am actually hungry physically. Now I know about insulin resistance it puts food into a different perspective, snacking was my enemy to weightloss, even that healthy apple or handful of berries. If I feel I am I hungry I have a hot green tea and reassess in 30 minutes. I think ultimately I may do ‘one meal per day’ and no snacks, it seems likely this will be between 3-6 depending on if I am doing an activity in the afternoon. I actually think this may retrain my ‘constantly thinking about food mentality’ not to mention fixing my insulin resistence, let’s hope so. If tis works I will drop back to 5:2 because I won’t need to fast 3 days.

Good News is I have lost 2 lbs so far this week and still have Friday’s fast to go. The next stage is to control portion size and eating speed. One step at a time, one day at a time and taking responsibility for my own health and decision making. No more non specialist (General Practice Doctors and Dietitions) advice for me, they are not ‘up to speed), Jason Fung is my Guru (I am a Funky and proud of it) )now along with several scientists investigating ‘gut microbes’ who are making inroads into ‘ what we need to eat to help our bodies function properly’.

To hell with calories I am no longer looking at them or counting them. If you cut sugar and processed cards ( which I have) you don’t need to think about them. I will still have treats but they will be ‘only’ on special occasions, wedding, birthdays, Christmas etc, not meals out with friends, not weekly or even monthly. No more Yoyoing for me!

I am really pleased I don’t have that sweet tooth, resistence is easier with no junk food in the house. I will continue to eat veg carbs and fruit but only at my mealtime.

Happy- I was a gym member for 20 years before I started playing bowls, attending minimum three times per week doing gym session and classes plus swimming. Now I prefer to walk and bowl, indoors or out. At the end of the day I just enjoy these activities more and can’t justify the ยฃ50 per month for activities I don’t get ‘as much’ pleasure from, gym was a ‘duty activity’ mostly and usually done alone. I have a cross trainer at home, plus a trampet and a skipping rope plus weights, I just need to discipline myself to use them. If I gave up rock choir it would pay for the gym but I really enjoy the singing and performing and social aspect of being in a choir. I will do probably do a weekly swim somewhere though and join a yoga class or do a DVD at home. Basically I am giving serious thought to the things I choose to do with my time and money, both are precious. As you know I start every day with an hour dog walking which I have now converted to a power walk on grass. It’s not as nice in ‘winter’ conditions ( bloody freezing at the moment) but the dogs ignore weather conditions so I will take a leaf out of their book and enjoy it just for the fresh air aspect. My ( jogging) knees are on the mend now, I don’t need a Zimmer frame to get out of a chair now, the joints are still hot though so I am still healing.
    Purple- Afraid I am micro managing my own life because when I don’t I put on weight and I just don’t want to be obese any more, it is not fun.
    Have a great day everyone, think of me playing bowls in the wind and rain this afternoon, madness but I love it.

Well done, Jo. ๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒท

Fresh air activity and weight lossfor you, what more could anyone ask for? My friend and I jogged 5 days a week from age 30 to 50 when we gave running away. We now walk, making sure we breathe heavily. Kinder to the joints. Both of us began to get sore hips or ankles or knees, and guessed where that would end up.

We see so many fit people getting new hips at age 65. We didn’t want to be part of that. Low carbs full fat is the way to go.

Cheers, Bay ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ

Well done Jo. You have already taken the step away from micromanaging… counting calories is so anal retentive, isn’t it? The overview you expressed is what I mean… no snacking, low carbs, regular fasts to lower insulin and sensible exercise. The details take care of themselves if you understand the principle. Keep it up. P โ˜บ

Thanks for the link to the Michael Mosley documentary, Ali. I’ve just watched it and I’m very impressed! I can see why people on the forum say to eat properly on the feed day and the penny has dropped re eating all 500 cals in one meal on a fast day.
    2 lbs in a week is great news JoJo. I love reading about how other people cope because it is a struggle to get going and when I first came to this forum I imagined that everyone had the 5:2 nailed for life. It’s not that I want others to struggle, but people honestly sharing what it’s like gives me a lot of hope. Thanks all
    Aine

Good Morning,
    Isn’t that amazing how demanding we are with us sometimes without realizing it!
    Jo as said before breakfast was invented by the cereal companies and so snacks. i truly believe now 3 sensible meals a day or only when I am hungry.
    I am fasting today as planned! Not getting anything come in my path. Lots of water.
    Keep loosing Folks๐Ÿ˜ Beautiful day here but still hot.
    Xoxo
    B

Aine333,
    If it was that easy the Forum would not exist. We have good and bad days, sometimes weeks and even months. I was a stone lighter last year. Can’t take your eye off the ball or keep doing something that is not working. I have the metabolism of a snail. I have the energy of a whirlwind, just dies not make any sense does it? Off to bowls now with my very thick white XXL Fleece on, I may look like a polar bear but I will be warm and able to move.
    Thanks P- Feeling good!

HealthCoachB,
    Like winter here, so jealous

Ha ha, it’s summer up north! T-shirt and shorts weather ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll add my voice to the ‘think about food all the time’ and ‘slightly obsessive about intermittent fasting’ chorus…!

Good Morning!

JoJo…so glad to see you back! I also love Dr. Jason Fung. I follow his blog and have his book as well. I think he is spot on and really passionate about his work.

I often do 16-18 hour fasts, but have not made it to 24 so far. I start to feel “funny” and then decide I should eat some nuts or a piece of cheese. The next time I get that feeling, I’ll drink a big glass of water, or maybe a bit of broth?

I find it so sad that our society is killing itself with sugar. It can be a hard addiction to break, that’s for sure, but SO worth it in the end.

Good job JoJo..on your loss this week!

Thanks Lori-PA,
    I am not counting my chickens yet Lori, I can bounce back up overnight, it’s a sad state of affairs. Real test is keeping it for for a week. I am out Saturday and Sunday for meals. It will be my only meal of the day but Saturday will be a restaurant and Sunday will be a roast dinner, probably chicken. It’s a neighbour cooking, she doesn’t really acknowledge that I don’t eat meat. She is the most amazing cook, everything from scratch. I will avoid puddings and alcohol, no problem for me.
    Had a great win at bowls this afternoon but we were very cold and it was very windy, stayed dry though st least.
    Now planning a quiet evening by the Telly.

Hi,
    I am here peacefully enjoying my Fast and waiting for the cable guy. Meanwhile as I aproach my 18th hour and 3 liters of water later I thought I could break it. I cup of miso with chives and cayenne pepper should be okay.
    As I wait here forever may as well catch up with my 5:2 new book. The most interesting part tough it’s the believe I am getting rid of bad cells and new ones are in the making ๐Ÿ˜œ.
    Hope you are all doing well, in good balance and losing pounds.
    B

Hi Fast Trackers
    Nicky Emel and Aussie O in South Australia Nama in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi France Barata in NZ and Jojo HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Weemam Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB Tessy pen nib Iona72 Pentimento pranayama and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Good Women Are Hard to Find
    Nigel and Stephen, are keen fishermen and wine drinkers; here you can see a photo taken while they are enjoying some night fishing while on holiday, with their wives, in Poitou-Charente, France, last year.
    Slurping a large Bordeaux Supรฉrieur, Nigel announces, ‘I think I’m going to divorce my wife, she hasn’t spoken to me in eighteen months.’
    Stephen downs his glass of the red wine thoughtfully and after a while responds, ‘Think it over a bit more, Nige; women like that are hard to find.’

Benefits of a Long Marriage
    On their 50th wedding anniversary and during the dinner celebrating it, Byron was asked to give his friends a brief account of the benefits of a marriage of such long duration.
    ‘Tell us Byron, just what is it you have learned from all those wonderful years with your wife?’
    Byron responds, ‘Well, I’ve learned that marriage is the best teacher of all. It teaches you loyalty, forbearance, meekness, self-restraint, forgiveness and a great many other qualities you wouldn’t have needed if you’d stayed single.’
    Actual Advertisement in The New York Post:
    For Sale by owner: Complete set of Encyclopaedia Britannica. 45 volumes. Excellent condition. $1,000 or best offer.
    No longer needed. Got married last weekend.
    Wife knows everything.

What Do You Do All Day?
    Eddie came home from work and found his three children outside, still in their pyjamas, playing in the mud, with empty food boxes and wrappers strewn all around the front garden.
    The door of his wife, Valerie’s car was open, as was the front door to the house and there was no sign of the dog. Proceeding into the hall, Ed found an even bigger mess. A lamp had been knocked over, and the rug was piled up against one wall. In the front room the TV was loudly blaring a cartoon channel, and the family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing.
    In the kitchen, dishes filled the sink, breakfast food was spilled on the worktop, the fridge door was open wide, dog food was spilled on the floor, a broken glass lay under the table, and a small pile of sand was spread by the back door.
    Eddie quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over toys and more piles of clothes, looking for Valerie. He was worried she might be ill, collapsed, that something serious had happened.
    ยป
    He was met with a small trickle of water as it made its way out the bathroom door. As he peered inside he found wet towels, scummy soap and more toys strewn over the floor. Miles of toilet paper lay in a heap and toothpaste had been smeared over the mirror and sink.
    As he rushed to the bedroom, he found Valerie still curled up in the bed in her pyjamas, reading a novel. She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went.
    Eddie looked at Valerie, bewildered and asked, ‘What happened here today?’
    Valerie again smiled and answered, ‘You know every day when you come home from work and you ask me sarcastically what in the world I do all day?’
    ‘Yes,’ was Eddie’s startled reply.
    Valerie answered, ‘Well, today, I didn’t do it.’

Have a happy Weekend all you beautiful losers ๐Ÿ˜†
    Peace RT

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    You reprieved yourself with that last one, RT!! โ˜บ I was beginning to think the close quarters with wyfee in the ‘van had become too much. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Have a happy weekend everyone. P

Ha ha RT,
    Your post was most appropriate for me today. I went into my husbands room to collect some washing from his bin. He takes responsibility for his own room and washing but our washing machine has been broken, now fixed, so I Thought I would do his work shirts. 4 hours later I have done a mountain of ironing, dusted about one years worth of dust, cleaned the windows, hoovered the carpet, tidied rubbish away, matched a million pairs of socks, stripped the bed, sorted two wardrobes, removed about 8 coffee cups. I bet ยฃ5.00 that tonight he says ‘I was going to do that this weekend, you shouldn’t have bothered’. Just glad I didn’t find any mice.
    Now to get on with my own room, a woman’s work is never done, good exercise though and keeps me out of the kitchen on a fast day.

Good Morning,
    According to the weatherman we are supposed to have rain since last night but I believe it’s gonna happen at any moment.
    My get together with my girlfriend in NY it’s postponed for tomorrow because of a sun shiny day.
    Yesterday was my 8th 5:2 FD! I am definitely lighter but I’ve been there before. We all know the hardest it’s when we get there deal with it properly. It’s gonna be okay this time ๐Ÿ‘
    The chipmunks are crazy here this year! My husband is the one taking care of the plants and he is so upset with lots of holes. I think the chipmunks are adorable.
    RT – I wonder if I stop doing my tasks in 1 week
    If husband take notice ๐Ÿ‘
    Be well there my virtual souls ๐Ÿ’‹
    B

Hi everyone,

Jo, sounds more like the room of a teenage boy than a grown man ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

RT, thanks for the weekly giggle ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I ate far too much yesterday and most of it was carbs so rather than beating myself up I decided to turn it into an experiment of one and see if it made any difference to my ability to exercise. I went to the gym and did my normal workout and am more tired than usual. That may be due to the fact that it is the end of the week but I’m not usually more tired after a Friday workout and I didn’t swim today.

The bad news is that I felt awful this morning, bloated, lethargic and generally out of sorts and of course I’ve been really hungry since I opened my eyes so today is a half TDEE day and tomorrow a FD which means I’ll have done 5:2 this week and I’m unlikely to have lost anything due to social eating and drinking last weekend and yesterday’s blip. Oh well at least I’m getting some more practice in for maintenance.

It’s a bit warmer today and the forecast for the weekend says hot ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐ŸŒž

Hi Amazon,
    If you saw the collection of model cars, daleks and thunderbirds you would know my husbands heart is still age 9 not 19. But I still have a doll I was given at age 3 and a collection of PG Tips cards so we had something in common once.
    Still ironing and very bored, thinking about food non stop today. Drinking blackcurrent and rhubarb tea, yummy.

Jo,
    Thinking, eating and preparing foods it’s such a blessing. Happens that some of us gets a little carried away with BUT we are well informed and have great support from each other. This thoughts come and go. You can manage that ๐Ÿ‘.
    Black currant and rhubarb tea! Like many drinks and food you guys mention sometimes.
    Stay strong! You can do this ๐Ÿ˜˜
    B.

Ps – of to my yoga

Amazon don’t beat yourself up – we all need to live a little sometimes and your memories of good times with your friends stays with you.

Jojo – I have the same with my husband, 55 going on 15! At least he keeps me entertained!

Not fasting today as I have been invited for dinner at a friends. Driving so no fermented wine for me! Going to fast tomorrow as hubbie is away. First Saturday fasting so will be interesting.

The sun has finally come out in Holland. We leave Monday back to Vancouver after a pretty stressful 2 weeks with the house getting ready to go on the market. Already booked myself into yoga Tuesday which really helps with the stress levels!

Have a new goal though. Hubbie is in a movie festival in Palm Springs at the end of the month, so have a few weeks to get “red carpet ready”. Always exciting to throw on a nice dress! Going to cut out the carbs on non fast day and the booze to give myself a boost!

Hiya everyone . I am finding my fasting much easier at the moment Because we have summer ( AT LAST) it is brilliant ..
    Jim is having the operation done next Thursday the 9th . The intend to do the AAA Abdominal aortic aneurysm first the hopefully the one in the groin too . He has to be there for 8 AM but we don’t know what time the operation will be xx

Viewing 50 posts - 14,551 through 14,600 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.