Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 12,801 through 12,850 (of 16,657 total)

• Sorry Amazon. I thought it was you. I agree with Bay, it is OTT Australiana (Pricilla, Strictly Ballroom and The Castle style) but a good tale. Kate’s Aussie accent is brilliant!
    We fasted yesterday..no food, a tiny but of fish and salad at 6:30, then caught the train to the movie. We were surrounded by people with stinking popcorn, but had nothing until this morning. Takes strength of character to resist hot popcorn ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I’d love to see the ponds at Kew frozen, and ducks skating…I can’t imagine bodies of water, that large, frozen. We miss the cream teas! We’ve even been checking locally to see if anyone has good clotted cream. Mmmmmm! P ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hi Purple,

Insomnia has struck so I’ve got up to watch some tennis. Federer should put me to sleep ๐Ÿ˜‰

We were surprised that the lakes were frozen but it underlined how cold it was yesterday.

I love cream teas but they are a rare treat these days. It was all I had to eat yesterday so no damage done, in fact I came in well under TDEE even with the carrot cake ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Hungry now so I’ve made a pot of tea!

Sorry you can’t sleep. 37deg here, hot wind too! Sitting in wet swimmers outside with an iced coffee. 20 deg predicted tomorrow.
    We did the same thing on the trip… cream teas would replace meals, not as well as. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Enjoy the tennis P

Hi all, yes I think it’s the lure of the habitual evening drink that smashes my food management.
    Love nearly all Kate Winslet films!
    Last night no wine just mugs of tea. I felt 100% better this morning fresh and light,. Hmmm something to think about. Once I didn’t drink for Lent. But I think I need to take a look at what I’m actually ‘getting from copious amounts of red wine besides munchies and groggy or silly. AND It’s an addictive DRUG! Well, it IS delicious and cheap, here a lovely bottle costs only 2.00. But then again so is fresh leafy/herb tea cheap and delicious and NOT an addictive drug.

I laid out my hiking gear boots ‘n sticks by the fire last night so they’re warm ‘n ready for me as it’s going to be a mixed sunny day today. I saw some interesting ruins a few hills back from the cottage so I’m headed cross country to take a peek with me trusted Rhodesian Ridgeback by my side. The hills have low scrub brush and some mixed pines, Almond and Carob trees but nearly all the hills and flat lands are crisscrossed with low stone walls from ancient land divisions creating narrow plots of field for crops, in that one sense very similar to the west of Ireland. The wild boars have made good trails though everything so it’s not too difficult to ascend and climb through the crumbling walls AND As I have a ‘home work day’ today I think I’ll just do another FD because tomorrow we’re going out ‘curry’ dinner with neighbours. The UK expats are always on the search for ‘food from home’ here in Portugal hence another herd group feed at a new place offering ‘curry’ ….silly gooses!

Last Sunday I was invited to a farmer’s family Sunday meal as this is the slaughtering time mostly pig and winter root vegetables were served…..but boys n girls this food was not for the feint of heart and NOT for my UK Expat foodies

First large bowls of green olives and fresh baked white crusty bread and drinks, Then
    HUGE meat platters piled high with (boiled only with salt): sliced pig’s trotters tails,skinned head, ears, ribs, heart, lung, belly + chicken necks, gizzards, beef,
    Next platter: 7-8 sliced styles of chorizo, sausages and blood pudding
    Next platter: turnips, beets, carrots, kohlrabi, onions
    Next platter: new boiled cabbage
    Final platter: steam rice with peas and new potatoes

OMG there was not a shaker of pepper in sight or some spicy sauce of any kind and all the kids and older folks served me with pink shiny cheeked pride. It was A Bafta Award winning lunch moment for this girl…

But today? Brekkie: black coffee + 3-egg whites stirred with a spot of milk milk a pinch of salt microwaved all fluffy then covered with homemade Pico d’ Gallo (fresh spicy salsa), very filling ‘n satisfying and only 68-cal, Lunch: ginger/garlic/chili chinese ‘greens’ soup at 72 cal a 2-cup bowl and the ubiquitous TEAs Supper: is a mixed salad with a hot cuppa low fat chicken bullion ( get them in France they are SOOOOOOOOO tasty and about 30 choices of flavours vs OXO!)
    Good luck everyone….this is a great thing we’re all doing for ourselves.

Jojo so sorry about your old beloved dog and the tooth removal, getting old now yes? ….you must feel sad. My girl is only 4 1/2 but if anything happened to her I’d be gutted really. She goes with me everywhere and sleeps near my feet when I work….

Jo enjoy your rest day, sounds like you have earned it! I am impressed with a whole year alcohol free! I am still sticking with dry January (despite all the others falling by the wayside) but looking forward to a glass of wine in February. I am mindful of the amount of calories I could save but cutting down though.
    Glad to report a better, but not complete, nights sleep for me last night. I didn’t have to get up and potter around in the early hours like the night before. I don’t like this getting older lark!!!
    Off to work now armed with a salad and a banana, happy hump day!

Thanks Pemti and Iona72,
    So much for my lay in! Unfortunately I got an early phone call to meet a boiler man at 8 am at my rental flat which I am decorating. The last tenants left it in a mess. The boiler man is of the opinion that the tenants had a chappati pan fire. Luckily the new boiler is still perfect and unharmed, just grubby.
    Now I need to get a report from the Fire Brigade so I can claim damages for the maintenance work. There are fire alarms in every room so they must have been out to have caused so much smoke damage. Neighbours downstairs reported having smelt burning fat but they did not check.
    I am back home, on the sofa and resting and looking up vegetarian recipes(5:2 of course). My old girl Tilly (dog) is next to me looking very sorry for herself. I suspect apart from the toothache she is upset by the change of diet, she( like me) likes food that’s chewable. She had a bowl of chicken and noodle soup and raw eggs for brekkie and she will have fish for tea. She is the proverbial ‘food Hoover’, most meals don’t touch the sides( also like me) it’s no wonder her teeth are going bad, they are not used enough except for the occasional chunk of hide.Maybe we should try chewing som hide, wonder how many calories in it? Just joking, smells vile to a vegetarian.

I have a friend who is an alcoholic so I am very aware of the dangers of addiction to alcohol. It has destroyed her marriages, relationships with her children( doesn’t speak to either child and hasn’t met her grandchildren) and has lost most of her friends( except the heavy drinkers). I have stuck with her throughout but there have been times when I have been truly tested. But at the end of the day only she can make the decision to stop and I suspect that day won’t come until she has a serious health issues. Fortunately she drinks large quantities of water to protect her liver and gets 6 monthly checks. She thinks I am mad when I choose water instead of wine and sometimes gets very cross with me for being a bore. I just remind her that I don’t ‘need’ alcohol to have fun, it’s the truth, I have fun without it. I tell her I make my choices for my own health and wellbeing, not to please anyone else. Doesn’t always work that way though I still accept slithers of birthday cake so as not to offend people. That’s my next hurdle, sugar free future. At the end of the day I am addicted to food so it helps me understand her alcoholism, she is always thinking about the next drink wheras I am always thinking about the next meal, same boat!
    Happy- must be heaven to be 9 stone! Well done you!

Just poking my head above the parapet to say that yesterday’s meeting with Purple was great. Thanks, P.

We are having a lovely time in Sydney, weather very kind although a change in the air tomorrow, with thunderstorms forecast.

Thinking of your poor dog, Jojo, and your flat renovations. Don’t overdo it.

Hi Jo,

I hope Tilly perks up soon.

Have you tried brushing your dogs’ teeth? My Dad does this very successfully with his.

If not, you can also get lickable toothpaste for animals, which might provide some benefit.

And of course, nothing like a good bone for dislodging plaque and tartar. Or get some Dentastix. Feed raw carrots too, great for teeth!

Hi everyone,

Jojo, so sorry to hear that your tenants were so awful. I hope it doesn’t take too long to get the flat back to how it should be.

I have to say that your friend is in cloud cuckoo land if she thinks that drinking water and getting her liver checked every six months will make any difference. Alcohol is metabolized by the liver and alcoholic liver disease is progressive and it doesn’t stop getting worse if the affected person gives up drinking.
    Alcohol doesn’t just affect the liver, there are several cancers including of the tongue that can be caused by heavy drinking and numerous other medical afflictions caused by excess alcohol.
    She is very lucky that you are still her friend.

Like you, I’m addicted to food and it is a hard habit to break, but we’ll just have to keep on trying and not lose sight of our goals.

Enjoy your day of rest.

Yesterday’s cake and scones have of course made me ravenous today and I’ve eaten a very small portion of porage to keep me going until dinner.
    I don’t like splitting my calories on a FD but it is better than failing.

The Hairy Dieters cassoulet is very good but despite tweaking I couldn’t get it down to less than 400 cals per portion. I think I’ll be saving it for non FDs.

Hello Everyone,
    Getting ready for my second fast day. I plan to wait as long as possible to eat tomorrow. I like to keep things simple whenever possible, so I plan to eat one meal in the late afternoon, and the meal will be very similar to what I ate on Monday. Lots of water, coffee and tea will be involved, Iโ€™m sure.

I have been doing well not eating after dinner, which has been a problem area for me in the past. Iโ€™m working towards 10,000 steps a day and my activity today included using my favorite elliptical, as well as teaching two active adult yoga classes and walking the track in between. Tomorrow I teach only one class, so will have more time to walk, use the elliptical and a spinning bike that I enjoy at the gym.

I continue to enjoy reading your posts and appreciate that I can come online and let you all know how things are going. As time goes by and Iโ€™m not so self-focused, I hope I can contribute a little more to help others. I wish everyone all the best tomorrow, fasters and non-fasters alike. Thanks for being here.
    Namaste.

Hello Fast Trackers
    Nicky Emel and Aussie O in South Australia Nama in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi & Barata in NZ and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB Tessy pen nib Iona72 Pentimento and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Dear God, from the dog

Dear God: Why do humans smell the flowers, but seldom, if ever, smell one another?
    Dear God: When we get to heaven, can we sit on your couch? Or is it still the same old story?
    Dear God: Why are there cars named after the jaguar, the cougar, the mustang, the colt, the stingray, and the rabbit, but not ONE named for a dog? How often do you see a cougar riding around? We do love a nice ride! Would it be so hard to rename the “Chrysler Eagle” the ” Chrysler Beagle”?
    Dear God: If a dog barks his head off in the forest and no human hears him, is he still a bad dog?
    Dear God: We dogs can understand human verbal instructions, hand signals, whistles, horns, clickers, beepers, scent ID’s, electromagnetic energy fields, and Frisbee flight paths. What do humans understand?
    Dear God: More meatballs, less spaghetti, please.
    Dear God: Are there mailmen in Heaven? If there are, will I have to apologize?
    Dear God: Let me give you a list of just some of the things I must remember to be a good dog.
    1 . I will not eat the cats’ food before they eat it or after they throw it up.
    2. I will not roll on dead seagulls, fish, crabs, etc., just because I like the way they smell.
    3. The Litter Box is not a cookie jar.
    4. The sofa is not a ‘face towel’.
    5. The garbage collector is not stealing our stuff.
    6. I will not play tug-of-war with dad’s underwear when he’s on the toilet.
    7. Sticking my nose into someone’s crotch is an unacceptable way of saying “hello”.
    8. I don’t need to suddenly stand straight up when I’m under the coffee table .
    9. I must shake the rainwater out of my fur before entering the house – not after.
    10. I will not come in from outside and immediately drag my butt.
    11. I will not sit in the middle of the living room and lick my crotch.
    12. The cat is not a ‘squeaky toy’ so when I play with him and he makes that noise, it’s usually not a good thing.

P.S. Dear God: When I get to Heaven may I have my testicles back

Have a happy weekend all you beautiful losers ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Peace RT

Hi Guys,
    Just a quick note.
    Thanks for the dog advice Happy, I do all of those things including cleaning the dogs teeth. Simply old age deterioration, she is 11.
    I am having a bad day today, just non stop eating, keeping it as healthy as possible though. Not sure what happened to my self control today. At least I have kept to my 10,000 steps per day since returning from my trip.
    Started Spanish Lessons today, freezing teaching room though. Choir rehearsal was also chilly. Maybe this is the eating trigger?

Hello fasters
    After a long silence, I am back.
    Thanks RT! We are dog sitting this week and it’s great to have some humour to share with this dog.

I read the thread most days and it’s great to hear about what’s happening to you all. Great that you two have met, Barata and Purple! Happy holidays in Cambodia, Amazon.
    Welcome Pranayama- you do get going on this quite quickly and it’s probably obvious that we all really feel great while fasting. JoJo, not an easy start to the after-holidays, and waiting for medical results.

My silence is more to due with wearing myself out. I have 69km to go to the next fitbit distance badge and I want to do these before February comes. Stupid I know, but absorbing!

We have moved again- back to our own flat, and yesterday I had a new experience. The first time in all my 67 years, I will sleep in a new bed. We will have it on the 1 February, so I must get those kilometres in before it arrives (however I am not planning on sleeping on a bed of nails if I don’t). Does this sound like obsession?

I am fairly satisfactorily doing the 4:3, though it’s much more difficult than a year ago. I think to myself- 3 months would do it! I have stopped eating bread again and also anything with simple carbs. I am not going to go too much over the top, but after a week without, I don’t feel too different, but this is a month’s experiment (though not for lent, Bay)

It’s great to hear, Purple and Jojo, that you benefited from not eating aircraft food on halfway around the world trips. I take a few nuts now. After 3 of these long trips, without food and without jetlag, maybe there’s a link!
    I have giving myself a challenge of losing the last 8 kilos by 1 June, which seems like a possible result.

I thought some of the thread around input by Simcoeluv a few weeks ago was fascinating. RT, your comments about the same time were equally so. I must go back and read them.

Must go swimming.
    xxWiwi

Hi Wiwi,

I am planning on fasting on my flight to Kuala Lumpur and if I can I’ll continue my fast until I reach Phnom Penh.
    When I get home I have to get back to losing 2lbs per week so I’ll be doing 4:3 again and find the Holy Grail that is 10 stone ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’ve been looking at my food diary and when I did 4:3 was when I was most successful. I have decided that I’m going to set myself a challenge and give up bread for Lent.

Having an exercise goal is a good thing. We need to continually challenge ourselves as it is good for mind and body.
    I bought a new mattress a few months ago and it has made such a difference to how I sleep and how much better my body feels when I get up every morning.

Jo,
    Maybe you aren’t quite settled in back at home yet after three months away. Don’t be hard on yourself just go with the flow as they say, you’ll be back to fasting when your body is ready for it.

I’ve spent the afternoon sorting out clothes to take on holiday. After 25 years or more of opening the wardrobe and despairing because hardly anything fits, I am spoilt for choice ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Hello Everyone,
    Rouge Trader, you are hilarious. Thanks for the many laughs. You made me think of our dog, sweet eddie, who is in dog heaven, especially when I read #5.

JoJo, when we just have to eat, best to make it healthy, so, good for you.

Amazon, I will be excited to read about your travel adventures. How great that you have lots of clothes that fit for your trip.

Tangatawiwi, you are right – fasting does feel great. Before I started fasting in earnest this week, I was already processing the principles of 5:2. When reading Dr. Mosleyโ€™s book and many posts on this forum, I realized that this way of eating makes such perfect sense for me. I love the flexibility and the fact that I donโ€™t have to give up foods that I like. Also, I have always hated eating breakfast because it makes me ravenous within a couple of hours. Now I skip breakfast every day, guilt-free.

Fast day went pretty well today. My husband has been homebound with a bad cold for a week and today he felt well enough to go out for lunch, which changed my plans somewhat. I managed to order just a bowl of soup, though it did come with bread, sigh, and then ate less for my main meal this evening, so I think it all came out all right, maybe just a bit over the calories I had planned. Posting right now to help remind myself that I donโ€™t eat after dinner anymore.

I think I was able to get in more than 10,000 steps today on the elliptical and walking track at my gym. I’m using a simple pedometer for my steps, but since it doesn’t register the elliptical, I’m not quite sure.

I plan to have an active day tomorrow between the classes I teach and my gym workout. Will plan to keep my calories within my TDEE. I know this stone and a half will not be coming off immediately, but I do hope I see a downward trend when I โ€œofficiallyโ€ weigh in on Saturday.
    Good luck to everyone.

Hi you all,
    I get on here and feel so guilty for not jumping in on the conversation. I feel like the quiet child watching in on what goes on in a big loving family. I am here with little words to say but just want to know that everyone is valued and appreciated on this blog. Have an amazing weekend.

Hi All,
    Another busy day under my belt, no fast though, planned it for Sunday as we have guests today and tomorrow. I won my game of bowls this morning which made me feel good as I was against a very good team. Their Captain asked me to join his team on Valentine’s Day, I agreed, why not? It will be good to play on a Sunday especially as we get lunch thrown in, just a roast but they usually cater well for vegetarians.

Wiwi- Sounds like you are doing very well. Amazon- I have the opposite wardrobe vibe going on because I am not back to my lowest yet.

Sarah103-Always good to know that we have listeners as well as threaders. If we help one person it is worth it.

Prank- I am thinking of changing my yoga class as a friend has recommended her teacher. I admit my one is not the best( I have had many over the years and attended many retreats so I know the difference). I should be more choosy as I value my yoga practise. Mostly I prefer Hatha but I also love breathing exercises and total relaxation practice for one and a half hour or two hour periods.

My ultrasound test has finally been booked for Monday with an enforced fast for six hours, should be a breeze.

Hi all,
    Long weekend here for Australia Day (Tuesday), we are at Jamieson most of it, so relaxing! Opposite to you by the sound of it Jojo, good luck with your tests.
    Just wanted to say Hi and a special Bon Voyage to Amazon – I hope your trip is wonderful and you have lots of new and fun experiences. I look forward to hearing about it all.
    Cheers all xx

Hi everyone,

I’m up early and getting ready to leave for the airport. I am very excited and really looking forward to my trip. I’m fasting today so my next meal will be Sunday lunch in Cambodia!

Thanks Nama, SE Asia is a new destination for me so everything will be new and hopefully fabulous.

Have a good one everybody ๐Ÿ˜œ

Have a great trip Amazon
    I haven’t been to Cambodia either so look forward to your travel news.

Happy, healthy weekend fellow Fasters. May the ‘force’ (willpower) be with you.

Did you all see the Jamie Oliver ‘Food Revolution’ video- great effort to spread the healthy food news

OK at the end of my RE-START week,I lost exactly: 1.433lbs Next week will be better. Once a week I weigh myself on the ‘pet scales’ at the Vet office in town. They are accurate.

I noted in my calorie and exercise journal where I slipped up and my weaknesses.

1) For me a bad pain day (BPD) can leave me 100% uninterested in exercising;
    NEW: If my body is going to hurt ANYWAY might as well have a walk in the fresh air as it’s not going to feel any different sitting in the house now is it?

2) I attended lots of ‘food & drink’ based events last week: charities, BZ, friends
    NEW: It’s ‘my choice’ to pick out the less fattening things on offer and manage the volume of food on the plate. And it’s also ‘my choice’ to switch quickly to mineral water in the champagne glass as they are less likely to walk around filling up my glass up with bubbly if the glass already has something in it… This is a simple but effective strategy for me for food events. It worked well yesterday afternoon at (God Give Me Strength) a Cheese ‘n Bread tasting fundraiser. But some wonderful folks brought a table of fresh spring salads and there I lingered…

Good luck everyone I love reading your stories, successes, challenges and thoughts. They’re a daily inspiration for me and the first thing I now read in the morning. It’s getting light so, now the daily dog-walk.

BTW my thoughts and prayers are with Jojo…not easy to have body troubles, sometimes just a wee bit too distracting and annoying for peace of mind …good luck!

Penti,
    Thank you honey, I went out to a dinner party last night. I chose salmon starter, seabass and spinach main and apple and ginger syrup pudding plus one very thin slice of blue cheese on a cracker then coffee. Several items there I should not be eating but I decided to risk it and no problem with digestion. I had one glass of champagne the went onto water ( on grounds that I was designated driver). There was a different wine for each course which I had a tiny sip of to taste. Didn’t miss much. I was of course the only sober person at the table but I still had fun. Shame there was no dancing though, the Confairie crowd are ‘only’ about the wine. I go for the food which is top notch and you get silver service. Got to wear my new grey beaded dress and show off my suntan, good fun. My son of 25 joined us last night, youngest of guests by 40 years but he held his own. His godmother has raised him well, he can talk the talk on wine tasting. Personally I would take a gin and tonic any day of the week. I will walk off the calories today with a two hour dog walk.

Jaysus Jojo MY GOD HOW I LOVE EATING GOOD FOOD….your menu had me salivating. And VERY nice when one of your youngn’s does you proud…. weather turned will walk in afternoon
    It’s a full 2lb weight loss goal this week. I was so close last week! But as my Korean War Vet Uncle used to say “close only counts in hand grenades ‘n a game of horseshoes!”
    Funny haven’t thought of that phrase in decades

And another good turn we are getting (literally) 4xs the inquiries for letting the Algarve beach apartment then last year; funny stats nearly ALL folks are from UK and Ireland… guess no one is going to holiday in Northern Africa or Turkey this year.
    “God is Good, Sabu.”

Hello Everyone,
    Amazon, though I know you are there by now, Iโ€™m wishing you a bon voyage and a wonderful vacation. Brilliant idea to fast en route. I’m traveling this spring (much shorter distance) and would like to do the same. In the past I would pack high calorie “energy” bars to eat on trips, but not this time.

Congratulations on your loss Pentimento, and thanks for the great strategies you shared.

Jojo, we could have quite a conversation about yoga. Your dedication and the number of years you have taken yoga is impressive. I attended yoga classes at my gym for a few months before becoming certified to teach. Since then, for almost two years, yoga has been a huge focus in my life as I gradually began to teach more classes. I currently teach 1 mat yoga and 5 chair/standing classes a week at my gym. I also teach two chair classes at a senior living center each week. I love developing the classes so they contain a variety of poses and are challenging. My participants are mostly active older adults, but younger participants who are rehabbing after injury or surgery also attend. What I lack is a regular yoga instructor of my own. I attend various classes at my gym, but only sporadically. My favorite instructor teaches an evening class that I struggle to attend because of the time. I am resolving to simply put that class into my calendar as I would any other important appointment and just get there. In early February I am attending a restorative yoga class at a different yoga studio that will include a massage. I am truly looking forward to that.

Yesterday my weight reflected a 1.6 pound loss. Very happy about that, and happy that I am managing to not only fast on fast days, (only two so far though), but maintain a good calorie level on non-fast days. Exercise has also been going well and I am simply not eating after dinner. I will fast on Tuesday and Thursday this coming week. I have a dinner to attend on Monday that has the capacity to derail me, so I am going to be prepared to make good choices.

Thanks for all of the inspiration – I appreciate everyoneโ€™s entries. Sarah 103, Iโ€™ve just started posting, but I have enjoyed reading your posts in the past, and itโ€™s good to see a post from you. Good luck everyone, fasters and non-fasters alike.
    Namaste.

Evening All,
    Wonderful day with family.
    Foodwise- Salmon with sweet chilli sauce, cabbage, carrots, mash, spinach for lunch. I cooked sausages and onion gravy for the others. We also had apple pie and custard for pudding. My fiends new boyfriend brought a Swedish Apple Cake for afternoon tea. It was like bread pudding consistency with a cinnamon spicy taste. I had a very thin slice, interesting but doesn’t compete with bread pudding.
    Lovely dog walk this afternoon, very mild- even took my hat and gloves off fir the first time since back in the Northern hemisphere.
    Just planning a trip to Spain at Easter to visit my friend and hopefully get some sun.
    Looking forward to my fast tomorrow. I only managed one pound loss last week but at least it’s the right direction for the first time in an age.
    Have a great week everyone

Hello Fast Trackers
    Nicky Emel and Aussie O in South Australia Nama in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi & Barata in NZ and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB Tessy pen nib Iona72 Pentimento and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I have watched some awesome YouTube interviews with Gary Taubes on the subject heading โ€œWhy We Get Fatโ€ fascinating stuff the end result is that in 1951 we already had the answer in.
    Raymond Greeneโ€™s 1951 endocrinology textbook The Practice of Endocrinology. Greeneโ€™s diet for obesity:
    I thought it was interesting that this was known in 1951 but seems to have been forgotten today.
    Foods to be avoided:
    1. Bread, and everything else made with flourโ€ฆ.
    2. Cereals, including breakfast cereals and milk puddings
    3. Potatoes and all other white root vegetables
    4. Foods containing much sugar
    5. All sweetsโ€ฆ.
    You can eat as much as you like of the following foods:
    1. Meat, fish, birds
    2. All green vegetables
    3. Eggs, dried or fresh
    4. Cheese
    5. Fruit, if unsweetened or sweetened with saccharine, except bananas and grapes
    Sound familiar? Like so many low-carb diets Iโ€™ve read about, from Atkins to South Beach to 4HB Slow Carb, the general principles here are long-established and were once conventional wisdom.

The obesity epidemic has quickly taken a hold on the world population from around 1986

If you are up for some interesting challenging and IMO must see viewing these 3 are unreal. The world maps year by year obesity spread alone is eye popping stuff ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSeSTq-N4U4 55mins
    โ€œThe food revolutionโ€ Andreas Eenfeldt MD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHbJMmm2rOU 42mins
    Dr Alan Goldhamer โ€œfasting can save your lifeโ€
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjQDFVE5exI 17mins
    Prof Tim Noakes

Even if you have all the moves and are well versed in the fasting WOL there is always something to take away when you look.
    Enjoy

โ€œIt is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once startedโ€
    Peace RT

Hi RT,

On a related note, not sure whether this has been flagged up already or not! But this links to Triumph over Disease by Fasting and Natural Diet by Dr Jack Goldstein. http://www.escapeallthesethings.com/FastingUC/index.htm

I haven’t read it all yet, just dipped in…

Hiya everyone . Sorry I have not been in for a while

You all know dad had a bad fall BUT he is ok now and back to singing . Middle son has spondylitis and I am taking him for physiotherapist tomorrow . We are having a horrible time with central heating . We have had 4 different people out ( council house ) they have narrowed it down to a faulty thermostat . it is midnight and so worked up I cant sleep . I had to phone the emergency service 10 mins ago to ask how to turn the soddin thing off .
    I am managing to maintain and just going up by maybe 4 pounds (wee bit more over Christmas ) but a few FD and I am back down .

I have started to crochet twiddle muffs for the dementia patients in dads care home . dad not interested lol . They are really appreciated by the other residents and the staff . It is nice to give something back for all the love and care they give him ..

Well I suppose I should try and get some sleep but I still seem a bit wired up lol . I used to not understand why my Mam got so worked up about silly things but I am doing the same . I think though it is more because it is gas and I cant do anything about it myself

Love to all , I still red the post every day but I changed my server and forgot the password . Just came into my head earlier :).

Take care all

Wee xx

Hi Everyone! Always reading and following from afar, but just realized I had not been receiving updates, so catching up now! Admiration and best wishes from snowy Boston! xox

Hi Ply
    Great to hear from you. Sounds as if you are copping even more snow than last year. I hope are keeping warm. Cheers from sunny Western Australia on granny duty. P

Just read yours too Wee. Not a good time to have central heating issues, but I see you are experiencing an unseasonable little hot spell today. Crazy weather.
    What a great use of your crochet talents, making things for dementia patients. Good on you. P

Hi All,
    I definitely have gallstones so the restricted diet continues. It’s helping my cause of post holiday/ trip weight so I am not complaining. Now await microsurgery and then see how it goes from there.
    I had problems getting on the thread today, refusing my login, if others are having same issue don’t worry because I have reported it.
    Have a good week everyone.

Hi everyone, yes I had a little trouble logging in but got there eventually.
    Jojo so glad (in a backwards kind of way) that it is now definite what is wrong, so at least now it can be resolved and in the meantime it’s helping you with your goals ๐Ÿ˜€

Had some poor news from work yesterday, there will be no more work for me there after next week, so job hunting again (hate this), not because I’m not doing my job, just massive downturn, there will be a large number of other workers being laid off too in the next few weeks. So a bit (well a LOT) down yesterday but picking myself up again now, what more can I do LOL ๐Ÿ˜€ I’ve started putting feelers out so hoping something comes of that.

Oh, yes, forgot to say, I missed my weigh in last Friday, completely forgot at the time and remembered after lunch so no weigh in last week. Will remember this week though ๐Ÿ˜€

Oh, AO, sorry to hear about your job situation, and hope that something comes up that is more interesting and satisfying.

Jojo, as AO says, good to have the confirmation, means you can move forward with the treatment.

Happy trails, Amazon.

Lovely week in Sydney and Hunter Valley, unfortunately our son and family came down with a bug on Friday and couldn’t join us on the Valley trip so we have hardly had any time with him and his family, including new grandson ๐Ÿ™

Gosh all bad news, sorry AO, such a horrible thing to happen, good luck with the job hunting. Barata, so sorry your family were unwell, I know you don’t get over there often, such a dissapointment for you all not to spend this short holiday all together.

I have some more bad news to add, my cholesterol is back up to 6.7, I can hardly believe it? I have healthy diet and plenty of exercise. My doctor has asked me to make an appointment and I know she will suggest statins which I don’t want. Really fed up as the alternative is an impossibly restricted diet cutting eggs and prawns from my basically pescatarian diet. I suppose I could include skinless chicken again but I am definitely not interested in red meat.

My father died at 57 of a heart attack so I guess they are going to say it’s genetic.

How frustrating that it’s taken my lots of attempts to log in today๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก
    Sorry to hear you have more bad news Jo and AO, it never rains but it pours as they say.

I don’t feel as though I’m doing very well lately, the odd biscuit is sneaking in and I had toast yesterday for the first time in ages. More annoying, I didn’t really enjoy it so I just wasted those calories, hopefully a lesson learned. On the plus side, it took all my resolve to walk passed the bakery when out shopping yesterday but half an hour later I had forgotten all about it!
    Off to the gym soon, I went on a few new machines last time, you know the ones that the big boys use, so I’m eager to have another go!
    Have a good day everyone, stay strong.

Hi kids,…Sorry to hear about foibles, unhappiness and illness…in most cases as we all know deep in our hearts….the life circle keeps rolling and better days are coming…. but it’s nice to comforted when things are icky and I send you all my warm hugs of comfort.

Had an excellent FD until 8pm when neighbor came over with stunning bottle of wine fermented sometime during the dawn of man…and as he only just arrived off the plane from Holland with his bag of hand-carried food treats we had to taste and share…
    BUT I only tasted….so I only went 300 calories over in the end vs 3,000 calories on a surprise food splurge in the past….SO not a success for my FD at all, nope, not! But I consumed a lot less food ‘n drink through my lips then I would normally when sitting with friends over several hours of laughing, noshing, telling stories n such!

So starting another FD today to make up for yesterday….already nearly 11am an only my fluffy egg whites with piles of fresh salsa, 2 huge mugs of fresh mint tea and I avert my eyes with profound discipline from the loaves of steaming Irish Soda bread cooling on the counter that my OH just baked… I SEE NOR SMELL NUTTIN’!NADA NUTTIN AT ALL…going for a walk ….until it’s all eaten

Hi Everyone,

So sorry to read about illness and job challenges. My husband is a survivor of serious illness and I remember how dark some days were. My best wishes for good things ahead for all.

RT, thank you for the links – am working my way through them and finding them interesting to watch.

Just starting my first fast day of the week and planning for it to be a success.
    Lots of physical activity planned today, and not much eating. Lots of coffee, tea and water planned as well. Thankful that I donโ€™t care for milk or sugar in hot beverages – it might be hard to give them up if I did.

Created a countdown clock for my phone. Itโ€™s counting down the days until our spring beach vacation. I think it will be a positive motivation. If I lose 2 pounds a week I will reach my goal by the time we leave. If two pounds a week is not realistic for me after all, at least I know I will lose something between now and then if I continue to follow this way of eating.

Good luck everyone. Namaste.

prana

Hi Everyone, I saw the title of this thread and I’m curious if it’s working for all of you. Are you losing 2lbs a week on 5:2 strictly or are you doing additional things? I’ve been doing 4:3 since late Sept. I’m only losing about a half pound to a pound a week. Cheers, JBB

JenBenBo,
    There have been many weeks that I have lost two pounds but never just 5:2. In fact I lost 5 stone but I have since regained one stone. My 5:2 has always been backed up by 1200 calorie count plus low carbs and low sugar. More importantly I have learned to control foods and am working on portion size.

Weemam and Sam were able to lose 2 lb per week over a sustained period. No idea how Sam is doing but Weeman kept the weight off. I think most of the people on maintenance thread averaged one pound per week.

Good Luck !

Hello Fast Trackers
    Hi AO certainly not ideal news I am sorry to read of your employment situation bugger ๐Ÿ‘ฟ Pranayama thereโ€™s a lot of information overload in those links but if you can find
    something that fits into your 5-2 and it makes your experience more doable then it is well worth it.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
    Albert Einstein

โ€œIt is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once startedโ€
    Peace RT

Hello fasters

Sorry AO and JoJo on your bad news. Jobs and health are two very important parts of our lives.

JoJo, you and I need to reach our goals. Like you, I am back fairly well on 4:3 (Monday, Wednesday, Friday fasts) which I am going to maintain. I want to reach my goal of 75kgs by 1 June, 4 months to lose 8kgs. I am going to do it. I know I need to get my A into G, and start as if at the beginning again- 25kgs ago. I no longer eat bread or simple carbs and won’t until I get to goal(generally though I am not going to make too much of this when dining at friends’ homes). Purple, Nama Barata and Bay are on maintenance now and we need to join them.

Happy holidays, Amazon.
    See you soon, Barata

xx from re-energized Wiwi

PS – just off to see a bank manager to get money to buy another house. I hope it works!

Hi Everyone,

Yes RT, I agree. Sometimes one little bit of information can make so much sense and be so helpful.

Fast day is over! Low fat cottage cheese with a few whole grain crackers early-afternoon, home made beef barley soup with lots of vegetables for dinner and since I no longer eat after dinner I am done except for a couple of cups of green tea between now and bedtime. Walked a bit more than 12,000 steps today (indoor track with a friend, weather is still horribly cold).

Busy day tomorrow – 30 minute elliptical workout, teach 2 senior yoga classes, and volunteer work at our library. Planning fruit (pineapple, kiwi, oranges) and water packed tuna for lunch (um, not mixed together though) in between yoga and library. Not sure what dinner will be tomorrow but did find a New York Times recipe for pasta with roasted cauliflower, cheese and breadcrumbs that is a possibility. Good luck tomorrow to everyone, fasters and non-fasters alike.

prana

Wiwi,

You forgot Wee, RT and me from the list of maintainers also on this thread ๐Ÿ™ Unless of course you’re only counting SH maintainers…?!

Sorry Happy and Wee
    I am not sure what went through my mind, but I have heard those four from this thread talk about the maintenance threads without knowing which. I rarely look at the other threads on this site. But you have all done amazingly well and please don’t leave this thread entirely.

It is important to me that I keep the momentum and as you leave the thread for maintenance and I am still at loss stage then it reinforces my determination. However it’s so much easier to keep up when one is not alone.

It’s great to have you newcomers as well as the continuers.

Happy Fasting- for me just about finished with 2 eggy fish fritters, 3 sweet potato cubes, eggcup of beer to be sociable with the friends around. I have got stomach cramps. IN fact it would have been easier to fast completely- BUT we live in societies!

XXX Wiwi

Viewing 50 posts - 12,801 through 12,850 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.