Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 12,851 through 12,900 (of 16,657 total)

• PS Sorry RT too!

Please continue to spread your gems!

I love the way, as more of us reach maintenance, others join. It is a great sign that this wol has longevity.
    Good luck with the house Wi. 😊 P

Good evening all,
    Everyone welcome and valued on this thread.
    Feeling very happy today. My daughter has a job offer in Wellington as a Montessori Teacher and they are going to get her a work visa for two years. Hoorah, it only took 4 months, 5 by the time she starts work. Not only that but I have been offered two pet sitting/ feeding/walking jobs so all is well with the world.
    My gallbladder surgery is likely to happen at the end of February and is a one day op then a couple of weeks recovery. One posible unthinkable outcome will be poor digestion of spicey food. Boohoo, I love it. Can live without fat, no problem, been doing it since January. I think I will recovery time to sort my photos and do some paperwork, seriously the shredder may blow a gasket.
    Fasting tomorrow and feeling strong this week. Tried grated cauliflower again as a substitute for mashed potato, not bad. I have got my cross trainer back in action, building up to one hour a day, pedal while I watch TV. That should help lower my cholesterol level. I will try anything. Wiwi- you are right, we need to get cracking.

Hi Jo,

I don’t know whether you’ve seen this, but it talks about various dietary interventions potentially being as effective as statins. Worth a try/ discussion with your doctor?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1gwkvHnPHRTlTQgzNrTrndx/the-big-cholesterol-busting-experiment

Thanks, Happy

What a wonderful resource from BBC Two. Do you think you could post this link on other threads? It seems for some of us that giving up sugar also has an impact on cholesterol.

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺

Hi all,
    Finally got iPad charged! We have been in Jamieson and my spare charger there died. Just shows I can survive almost a week without technology! Made the odd foray into Facebook on husbands smart phone, but I find it almost impossible to type on a phone screen, too anal about spelling I think!

Very humid in Melbourne at present. We had a wonderful thunderstorm yesterday which gave the garden a much needed drink, feels like Sydney Summer weather to me! I am fasting today to ‘undo’ my long weekend excesses. Some veggie soup planned for dinner, then some yummy fresh cherries and a beautiful peach I have saved. So much easier for me to eat ‘less’ on a fast day, keeping the digestion to a minimum seems to lower the hunger signals drastically.

I hope Amazon has access to TV in Cambodia, her pin up boy is playing well at the Aust Open Tennis at present. The match of the tournament tonight methinks.

Jo thats wonderful news about your daughters new job – seems you will be travelling South again?
    AO not so good news for you, but I am sure your talents will be welcomed somewhere soon.
    Wiwi, great to hear from you – where is the house you hope to buy? Sounds like you are well motivated at present. I find the motivation comes in cycles. Its OK to ‘tread water’ sometimes, as long as we dont give up completely.

Great to read about all the newcomers on this thread. Everyone seems to be very motivated and well on their way!

Good morning from The Algarve, I start my thoughts with thank you. This POST has become a strong life-line as I wobble through these first few weeks of reintroducing discipline, commitment and self-love via good eating, exercise and conscious living . I’ve never followed anything online that was not business related before and I find real nourishment in reading your comments. Thank you again.

2016 is the year of change for this household and for me….not that last year moving continents to a new home wasn’t a big enough change to last a few years plus getting married and retiring! ….But this is different, personal…….. life-saving.

For the first time in 45 years I’m not working hard every day. This is NOT a complaint I love working and work=love in my book. I’m not an uneducated teenage single mom trying to survive or building a company or raising a large blended family or caring for my parents or just being TOO ‘busy-busy’ for ANY kind of true self-reflection, assessment or ANY subsequent action directed to my, me, my own health and well-being.

To be 100% honest it feels awkward even myopic to be so introspective and not be SO involved in ‘other things’ beyond my immediate self.
    As a young hippy-girl in California I used to meditate, routinely fasted, thought about what went into my mouth, my family’s tummies and kept some kind of spiritual ‘faith in practice, got up very early and walked/hiked/danced/cut firewood whatever and was SOOOO healthy…where did all that go? That thoughtfulness and the freedom that adhering to a ‘discipline’ provides?

So here I am 63 years old, 3-stone overweight with a life weary, wounded, VERY sore body. Creating new life-style rhythms with allowances for interruptions that naturally come with living is the first step, changing REALLY CHANGING bad health habits, (over eating, drinking, sloth, indulgence etc.,) No, no I’m not beating myself up, just looking honestly at my daily actions and how I validate my poor behaviour (now that’s a big can of worms). It’s not like I don’t KNOW better I DO know better. I had my first cup of coffee at 28….sooooo like get a grip dearest Pentimento no more excuses.

I’m buying a side of pork 3.50 euros per kg on the hoof cheaper cleaner healthier then store bought meat. The farmer guys are all excited to sell a pig to a foreigner and a woman foreigner at that! Buuuuuut my dears, gulp, they want me to come for the slaughtering and bring the beer; something tells me this will not be a FD!
    Then with my trusty Google Translater in hand I negotiated with an old man that I saw had a large scrap yard as his version of a lawn and he’s gonna to build me a large Smoker/COLD Smoker/BBQ…YES, JESUS YES..! AND we are just now this week planting the early garden, lot’s of green things (the locals are already harvesting Fava beans ‘n such…sigh….)

It’s getting light, sun coming over the hill, walking clothes, water bottle hiking sticks laid out the night before and I’m off with dog. I take my measurements only 1x per month but I sure feel lighter and even smaller already … dog is staring at me very HARD and the birds are singing/calling me to hurry up! Stay strong & if you slip up just start again! love yourself to bits and keep the faith bye for a while.

Hi Everyone,
    Pentimento, I so agree with you. This thread is a lifeline for me and posting my successes (and maybe sometimes lack of success) is very motivating for me.

Jojo, happy to hear about your daughter’s job. Hope your health is soon a good news story too.

HappyNow, thank you for the link. I am currently trying to lower my cholesterol through diet without statins. Although my LDL is not terribly high, my doctor recommended that I consider a low dose statin when I saw him late last year. I will have lab work in May to check my progress, and this article was very interesting.

Today is my second fast day this week and my second week of seriously following 5:2. Thankful that I am fasting during the coldest months as I adjust to this way of eating. I can drink warm beverages almost constantly, and they keep me very satisfied. I weigh every day but only use Saturday as my official weight. The scale shows a small loss today but I actually feel much lighter.

I plan to delay eating as long as possible today. I don’t care for preparing meals or following recipes on fast days. I prefer to eat whatever healthy food I want in the appropriate amount as close to evening as possible. I teach one senior yoga class today, but also plan to walk an indoor track this morning and attend a Hatha Yoga class tonight.

Good luck to everyone today – prana

Hello Fast Trackers
    Nicky Emel and Aussie O in South Australia Nama in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi & Barata in NZ and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB Tessy pen nib Iona72 Pentimento and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) 😉
    Spanish Computer

A SPANISH Teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English , nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.

‘House’ for instance, is feminine: ‘la casa.’

‘Pencil,’ however, is masculine: ‘el lapiz.’

A student asked, ‘What gender is ‘computer’?’

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether computer’ should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The men’s group decided that ‘computer’ should definitely be of the feminine gender (‘la computadora’), because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.

(THIS GETS BETTER!)

The women’s group, however, concluded that computers should be Masculine (‘el computador’), because:
    1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2 They have a lot of data but still can’t think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.

The women won.

Have a happy weekend all you beautiful losers 😉
    Peace RT

RT,
    Having attended my Spanish class today I found this hysterical. There is really very little logic in why some words are considered masculine or feminine. Some furniture is masculine e.g. Bed feminine, sofa masculine, sink masculine, bath feminine. Basically there is no way of working it out, you just need to learn it word by word. It is so sunny that students should try to work out characteristics to determine gender.
    I saw the film ‘the Danish Girl’ it was excellent-strongly recommend it.
    Happy- thanks for the article, very interesting. I can certainly identify a change in my diet which may have effected the rise in my cholesterol. I stopped eating breakfast, which used to be porridge, I will therefore reinstate it immediately, made with water. I still have almonds on non fast days. Obviously I currently avoid all fat because I can’t digest it. I am wondering about eggs, prawns and salmon which are major contributors in my diet. I am determined to avoid statins. Another friend has a reading of 6.4 which her doctors says is fine! Advice is so misleading! She already has a heart murmur, surely her levels are more of an issue?
    I am very active( avg 15,000 steps per day) and eat healthily(obviously that’s my opinion) freshly caught fish and freshly grown local veg and fruit. However my father was also very active his entire life and he was never overweight but he died at 57 of a coronary. His diet was meat based but he ate his veg.
    Out for a meal tonight, fish and veg- starter chosen because the portion size is more appropriate.

Gosh, where is everyone today?
    Played bowls this morning (won) then food shopping for a retro dinner party I am doing tomorrow night. Prawn cocktail, chicken supreme and crepe suzette. Blue nun wine, remember that? It will be back combed hair I will be playing vinyl. Could be good or could be a disaster. No mini skirt for me though but may do some 70’s hippy style dress.
    I have just had lunch/ dinner whilst watching the tennis highlights, brilliant and tough game in Melbourne. Andy did good but that Canadian is a real contender. Joco next for Andy on Sunday( his old rival and pretty unbeatable on hard court). Jamie Murray has made it through to doubles final so the boys must be doing their parents proud. They will be looking forward to the next generation Murray baby now due. Hope Wendy is catching some games or someone recording on her behalf.
    I am off to the cinema to see Leonardo De Caprio in his latest film.
    Have a great weekend everyone.
    Wee- I hope that storm isn’t doing too much damage where you are, pretty blowy here on the coast.

Hiya Jojo . It is horrendous here pal . I feel so sorry for the people who are flooded and other storm damage . we are lucky as we are in an old strong house . Supposed to be sleet and snow tomorrow BRRR.

I had my gall bladder removed when I was in my 20’s . They kept saying it wasn’t that because you are supposed to be fair, fat and forty. I lived on dry bread and ox tongue for many months . In those days it was a big op and I have a scar about a foot long . Weeks to heal BUT I complicated things by falling pregnant lol and was worried I was going to burst :).

Sorry I haven’t been posting as much as there has been a lot going on here family wise and heating wise etc . All Ok now though

PS I posted this today…..

The good and the bad of loosing weight . Great that 5/6 sizes down but sad that I lost my Mams wedding ring and another this morning. Thank you Beth our lovely next door neighbour for helping me look in lots of strange places .I HAVE found them in the drawer with my clean duvet sets . So pleased . it wouldn’t have upset me so much if one hadn’t been my mams xxxx

Hello Fast Trackers
    Nicky Emel and Aussie O in South Australia Nama in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi & Barata in NZ and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB Tessy pen nib Iona72 Pentimento and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) 😉
    Time for some of my updated current strategy still enjoying the challenge and intrigue of Intermittent Fasting 20/4 and not so much the CR with just the evening meal or one LCHF eating occasion and since jumping over to the carb counters and discounting to some degree the calorie counters in the beginning (it was a religion all of its own) never really have to fight and beat the hunger dragon and today not a consideration whatsoever still nailing 10000 steps morning and night before food 20000 steps and now have learned to make and enjoy the bulletproof coffee in the morning.
    recipe here
    http://www.ruled.me/bulletproof-coffee/
    add 2 litres of water until dinner and that fast trackers takes me to a happy place.
    “People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.”
    ― Dalai Lama XIV
    Peace RT

Hi all,
    Wee I am so pleased you got your rings back! Heartstopping business…. I need to get mine made smaller before the return of cold weather, they are really loose but just hang on in the hot weather! I don’t wear them often lately for fear of losing them.
    Great to hear of your ongoing research RT. Very interested in your opinion of the bulletproof coffee. I tried it 6 months ago when I first read about it – being a real coffee addict. However I found it too fiddly to make. By the time I got it mixed and into a mug, it wasn’t hot enough! I quite liked the taste but wasn’t convinced enough of the health benefits to make the effort. Sounds like you are on an Atkins + 5:2 diet these days. I actually don’t find hunger a problem now, its more a matter of resisting certain foods just because I really enjoy the taste of them. But then I got fat by eating when not hungry! Fast days I only have coffee and water until about 8pm, but rarely feel really hungry. Usually I just want something when I see it, not out of hunger! Thats why my best fasting tool is too keep busy and out of the kitchen.
    We are having a wonderful thunderstorm at present. 11.30pm so off to bed to listen to the rain, heaven!
    Have a lovely Sunday all xx

Hi Everyone,
    Jojo, wondering what you thought of The Revenant. We have not seen it yet, but would like to see it, and a few other nominated movies, soon. One of our local theaters shows the Oscar-nominated shorts, both animated and live-action, and we are hoping to see those while they are available as well.

RT, so interesting to read your update. I do like coconut oil, but I love unadulterated coffee more. I don’t have too much hunger until I start eating each day, so I think I will continue my current plan for now. I need to up my steps though – I am barely getting 10,000 each day, although on some days this past week I exceeded.

Nama, I eat when I’m not hungry too. Keeping busy and out of the kitchen is the best. I’ve been trying to spend more time on the upper level of our house lately, which is that much further from the kitchen.

Attended a wonderful yoga class on Thursday night. So glad I have scheduled this class and I’m resolving to continue to attend, no matter how cold and dark it is in the evenings right now, lol.

My fast day went well on Thursday, but yesterday was not that great. Ate more than I planned during the day. Then we went to a play on Friday night (Steel Magnolias at one of our community theaters – a surprisingly good production) which led to wine and a snack after the play, which led to a little more eating when I got home. My weigh-in shows just a half pound down, which means 2 pounds lost in two weeks. I’ll take it though.

Having lunch with a friend today at a restaurant I know well and enjoy, and have my order already planned. Going to the gym to walk the track and use my favorite elliptical later in the day. Will do my own yoga practice this evening.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I enjoy and appreciate each and every post. Thanks for being here.

prana

testing

Weighed in at the veterinary scales today: lost only 1-lb still not reaching my passion goal of 2-lbs… I think it’s the lack of right amount of exercise. I’m just not doing enough, period! Turned on some Motown music, way up loud and danced by myself; actually got a bit sweaty AND felt very happy afterwards. Might try that more often, easy plus it exercises and stretches my whole body.

Hi Nama I am a big fan of the bulletproof coffee I have to say the smooth creamy fatty yummy goodness is the bomb I concur it is a bit of a process but well worth while a stab blender a 2 cup plunger (does sound like weapons of choice) 😆 reheat to desired temp in the micro wave although ice added to a tall glass to sip on ice coffee in Australia or Ca phe da when your next in Vietnam 😉 I am sure you would have seen the street vendors selling it. Just lovely Prana I did have a chuckle at “unadulterated” coffee keep on keeping on do what’s doable.
    RT

Evening All,
    Dinner party over ( great success)and clearing up done, I am exhausted, very busy day and very little sleep last night, goodness knows why?

The Revanant was very violent but truly superb. Long film 2.5 hrs so get a comfy seat.

Speak tomorrow

Hi Jo

Here’s something that I have found since going onto the 5:2 way of life. If I have a day when I treat myself to more food than I should, or have sugar and grain products, then I have trouble going to sleep that night. I didn’t want to believe it at first. But now it’s happened too many times to be a coincidence. Just a thought if you keep a food diary and see if there is any correlation between food intake and sleep patterns.

Cheers, Bay

Hi all

So many posts to catch up on! Happy 2016 to you all and welcome Pentimento.

I hope all who are/have been ill are recovering.

Have only read posts up to 3rd January so far but noticed a comment about how I cook my fish in the microwave.

I put fillets of whatever – easier than dealing with the bones, on a piece of baking paper then slice a tomato over the top and sprinkle with a little lemon juice, close up the packet loosely with a double fold and tuck in the ends (en papillote, as our French friends would say) and MW for about 2 minutes, depending on MW power and how much fish. Of course you can add salt and pepper and/or other spices or herbs, but I don’t as the sweetness of the tomato balances out the acidity of the lemon.

It’s now 2 years since I started this WOL and, although I put on 3kg in the Christmas lead up and another 1.5kg while on holiday during January (adopting Jo’s honesty policy), I’m still 14.5kg lighter than 2 years ago. While on leave I have continued with weight training and yoga, as well as lots of gardening and walking. Not as stunning a loss as other stronger-willed members of our happy band but I’m happy because I could well be that amount heavier had it not been for 5:2.

Back to work tomorrow and my first serious fast of the year – no breakfast and a few blueberries and a miso soup sachet during the day, plus many cups of black tea, with a 1-egg mushroom and spring onion omelette and salad for dinner.

Take care all and keep up the good work. n xxx

I saw your name on the ‘recently posted’ page NickyF and just wanted to say hi to you. Please consider coming back to the S. Hemispherites now and again – I miss your posts!

Hello Bay,
    Interesting thought about link with food and sleep, As Sam used to say, study of one gives the answers to long term weight problems, I really miss his insight and extraordinary hard working life style.

I have had a nice long lay in today before taking on the onslaught of cleaning my flat again. It’s good to listen to your body sometimes and block out the ‘guilt’ of the jobs list.

NickyF- Good to hear from you and know I am not ‘ in the boat of shame alone’, as you say we are still massively down from our starting points. I do feel ‘fat’ at present though and really need to crack this nut.

Good luck everyone, be strong.

Ps – just booked a walking holday in September so
    I have a new goal for this September- 3 stone off, wish me luck!

Bay, thanks for that tip about sleep. I’m struggling myself and at first thought it was due to coffee but ruled that out so I will commence another study of one!
    End of January weigh in – lost 5 pounds this month – happy with that and aiming for at least the same in Feb which will take me very close to the 150’s. Not been there in quite a few years.
    It’s my birthday tomorrow so a small piece of cake and out for lunch then back on track Tues. Have a great week and let’s make February awesome!! 😃

Good morning all

Have finally caught up on all the posts and welcome newcomers to our happy band of fasters.

First day back at work and first real FD for the year. So far so good, mountain of emails to deal with and at 11.25am only black tea. Instead of planned blueberries, have strawberries instead as they were in danger of going off.

Some of you will remember that my usual FD routine was nothing except water and black tea until 3pm when I join our horticultural staff for afternoon tea and feasted on a hard-boiled egg and low-cal fruit like kiwifruit or berries to last until dinner.

While clearing out cupboards in January I came across a stash of meal substitute sachets from when I tried a program promoted by my health fund called Healthy Weight for Life. I didn’t continue because I found 5:2 instead. However, these things are 100C each and consist of flavoured whey protein supplemented with every imaginable vitamin and mineral needed by humans. Being a ‘waste not want not’ type, I am experimenting with using these up on FDs as I can keep a non-perishable stash in my desk drawer. Will also bear in mind if I’m flagging on non-FDs. We shall see!

OA, am truly sorry to hear of your loss of work. You are such a good tutor, have you thought about advertising in your local area? My daughter is a maths graduate and she is often approached to tutor secondary school students, with nothing but word of mouth for advertising. As you would well know, maths is something many people would like extra help with.

Take care all and keep up the good work. n xxx

Hello Fast Trackers

Hope everyone’s fast day is going extremely well stay strong stay motivated be accountable if the scales are not moving down you will already know why keep moving keep fasting and do the doable sermon over

“Remember that reserve of fat you have on your body already and realise you actually don’t need food, you just want it.”
    The less you eat the more you lose.
    Peace RT

Thanks for the sermon RT, we all need reminders!! I so agree with the bit about not needing food, just wanting it! My fast day good so far, apart from a tiny wobble when making my son’s birthday cake for tomorrow – few small licks of the beater just ‘happened’! But managed to stop at that….
    Happy Birthday for you tomorrow too Iona, well done on your 5lbs gone.
    Great to hear you are back ‘on the wagon’ Nicky – hopefully the break will have helped. Have missed your cheerful posts.
    Trying to follow Bay’s lead and avoid sugar/carbs, strictly for a week to test her hypothesis. Sugar everywhere you look! In the supermarket buying cake making ingredients, I picked up a tube of Vanilla Paste today – supposed to be almost as good as pure vanilla bean pods – put it back promptly when I read the ingredients – 47% sugar!! I know one would only use a teaspoon or so, but why pay such an exorbitant price for sugar?
    Not sure if I can go without fruit for a week though… perhaps just some berries and canteloupe, low sugar fruits. Tomorrow night will be a challenge – son wants home made chicken schnitzel for his birthday tea – perhaps I will keep some chicken aside for myself and avoid the panko crumbs! Yes, thats a doable plan. No point fasting then blowing it the next day with fried chicken..

Morning All,
    Very true, mostly we eat because we want food not need it. Drink a glass of water before each meal, always helps. I am off to play two games of bowls then cleaning and painting all afternoon and evening, plus an hour dog walk so that takes care of my fast day. Brought forward my 19/5 to breakfast and lunch( leftover chicken caserole cooked without fat or cream, no rice. I agree that carbs and sugar are a calorie burden, stick to fish and veg on the whole.
    Yesterday is the first time this year I have conquered the TV snacking syndrome and stayed under my 1200 calorie limit. Scales say down one more pound, so that’s 2 since Christmas, not a great result but it’s in the right direction. Well done Iona72 you are leading the way.
    Nama- great work on controlling the sugar, I think it’s the hardest part of the battle because it seems to be in everything, not a helpful scenario for us to beat our addiction to it. First time I gave it up(two years ago now) it was like giving up cigarettes, I was tetchy constantly and felt cold all the time plus I didn’t sleep at all well yet I would say that I never really had a sweet tooth, sugar is in so many savoury foods too ( bread especially). I am still finding it hard to cut fat totally especially for cooking but I am beginning to learn new techniques. Microwave is being used a lot more these days, never been a fan but it does help when avoiding fat.
    Have a great week every one, keep moving.

Just got home and finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, 2 rooms at my flat now sorted, cleaned, decorated and furniture back in place.

Great fast day too, haven’t even thought about food. Probably drunk too much tea with milk though, albiet 1 %.

How is everyone doing? Very quiet here which is usually a bad sign.

January is always a tough month after the spoils of Christmas, be kind to yourselves but firm. You are doing this for your own health and well being.

Good Luck this week!

Hi Jojo,
    All good here thanks! Beautiful sunny Spring-like day in Melbourne. I am not as busy as you, but still busy today organising eldest son’s birthday dinner tonight – can’t believe I have a 36 year old! You are right, being busy is definitely the best way not to eat!
    I am Looking forward to hearing about Amazon’s adventures.
    Hopefully you will sleep well after all your cleaning etc.

Hi Everyone,
    Busy day today, finally have a chance to post. Taught my water aerobics class, followed by teaching two senior yoga classes. Didn’t have a chance to work out on my own or walk any great distance though. Planning to get back to the gym early tomorrow morning (my favorite time to work out) since I have no classes to teach tomorrow. Tomorrow is a fast day, and looking forward to the simplicity of knowing exactly what I will or will not eat. Some unexpected social events over the weekend derailed my eating plan a bit, but I got back on track today.

We are expecting snow to start mid-morning tomorrow, but the forecast has changed from lots of snow to less snow. After the gym I plan to make chicken vegetable soup. I love having a few containers of soup waiting in the freezer for quick suppers on cold days. Good luck to everyone tomorrow, fasters and non-fasters alike.
    prana

Hi everyone, well a night of both soft and pelting rain and variable winds last night so at least the garden got a good soaking 🙂 my little piece of lawn is now quite lush and starting to spread out across the yard, thankfully 😀 as we have too large an area to put lawn down everywhere, so we just started with one area and now letting nature take it’s course.

Another failed FD today, however I know I won’t be fasting tomorrow but will on Thursday. Silly me has forgotten to weigh for the past two weeks so am dreading those scales come Friday but do it I will as otherwise I am just hiding from myself.

Yes, I need to pick myself up and give myself a severe talking to to get myself back into line. I am annoyed with myself at this stage as I find it too easy to eat wrong or eat too much, so a couple of days of liquid only and a longer time with no added sugar (where possible) and I should be right again 😀

Lovely keeping up with you all, love reading everyone’s stories and how they’re going, so inspirational for us all.

Have to run and will catch up soon.

Cheers,

AO xxx

Hi AO
    Sorry to hear about your “failed” fast. Did you manage most of the day and then binge? Or never got started?
    Have you tried weighing every morning, before any drinks, after a loo break, to get your lowest each day? It really is illuminating to see how much weight varies. Weighing once a week could well mean you miss that low morning. The feedback from daily weighing is surpringly motivating. It is easy to prune off .5kg if seen quickly. Most of us in maintenance use this method to ensure we don’t ever go back to “the old ways”. Give it a go for a couple of weeks. It isn’t obsessional, just sensible. Cheers P 😊

Thanks for the suggestion Purple I’ll give it a try to see how I go. I started ok but was given a mini wagon wheel and the other person didn’t realise but then before I knew it I’d taken a bite and so I finished it. I guess it wasn’t so very bad but will put me over 400 cals. Need to reset my head and determination again.

On the subject of weight, and how weighing intermittently isn’t necessarily going to tell you accurately what you weigh…

Trust Me I’m a Doctor last week discussed how you should weigh yourself. It covered the usual (same scales, same place, same time) but suggested weighing daily and then averaging it over the week (or weekly/ monthly).

Weight can vary quite markedly day to day, so the rolling average would be a more accurate description of weight than any individual day’s weight (a snap shot in time which be high/ low on the day).

I’m with P, a firm believer in facing the (scales of) truth head on! And using them to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Hi folks, Had a challenging but almost successful FD yesterday ended with 569 calories consumed….sigh………………..

The day started OK…but then a lunch with friends and badhusband baked after supper!

Breakfast: (50 cal)
    black coffee
    2-egg whites mixed with 1-tsp non-fat milk, microwaved served w/fresh salsa (49 cal)
    Green tea & water

Surprise Lunch at friends home (220 cal)
    2 cups of vegetable soup Homemade (200cal), sliced tomatoes (18 cal), lemon water, diet coke: I resisted the homemade warm bread and various homemade chutneys and aged cheddar hand carried from the UK (only one tiny slowly savoured nibble of cheese)

Snack: (57 cal)
    Pear (weak moment)
    more green teas and water

Supper: (135 cal)
    2 cups steamed fresh harvested broccoli with soy sauce, chilies, ginger and garlic sauteed in 1/2 cup of chicken bullion instead of oil (64 cal)
    1/2 kippered herring filet (71 cal)

Snack:(107 cal)
    1/2 slice hot steaming beautiful homemade brown Irish soda bread (thank you very much evil baker husband!!) very very weak moment

I have until Saturday morning to weigh myself at the Vet’s scales in town, only Tuesday, SO ‘From My Lips To Gods Ears’…let me be successful with 2lb weight loss!

Re weighing myself. I didn’t even own a set of scales when I began fasting two years ago. First thing, I bought myself a set of scales that tells me BMI and fat, water and weight. I weigh every day. That’s how I learnt about the dramatic effect that sugar and grains have on my weight. Both up and down. I also keep a food diary if I want to discover why I’m putting on weight or not losing it. Cheers, Bay. 🌞🌞

OMG I just read you biog, Bayleafoz… WOWOWOWOWOW I am SO impressed. I hope to lose 19kg and get smaller and tighter and generally healthier, using this lifestyle of thoughtful eating, fasting and exercise. I’m just impressed with your body changes and having accomplished this over 65! YES! Good on you.

Just watched a NZ program, Is Sugar the New Fat, on SBS. Well worth finding on On Demand, Aussies. Good reinforcement. Cheers P

Dear Purple…. I understand the sugar-fix need. My issue is salty things, toast with butter, popcorn, crisps with salsa or cheese dip along with sloth. No reason to call it anything else.

Anyone who has not filled in their profile perhaps take a moment to write it? It’s wonderful to know a bit about the person behind the ‘avatar’ name..

Hello Everyone,
    Congrats Pentimento on a rather successful fast!
    Will look for Bayleafoz’s blog. It sounds awesome.
    Purple, thanks for mentioning Is Sugar the new Fat. I will look for it. I think there is a documentary on Netflix that might be on this topic that I will look for as well.
    Aussie Oma sorry about your failed fast day. I know you will not let that small slip discourage you. So far (just a little over 2 weeks) I have not had a failed fast, but I have had failed TDEE days and they feel so bad. I second Purple’s idea of daily weighing. Although I only record my weight on Saturday, I do weigh every day and it’s interesting to see the highs and lows through the week. (Sometimes I’m literally peeking through my fingers though!) Since I’m looking for a downward trend, I try not to worry about the highs and lows but use them as motivation to continue or improve.

Another motivator for me is delaying eating as long as possible on fast days, and in fact on TDEE days as well. It might seem silly to some, but if I’m not eating yet I feel that I’m winning the battle that day. It feels easy and I feel light. Once I begin eating the real battle begins, as I then have to make more choices or utilize more self-control. I hope that doesn’t sound too weird, lol. I guess I do feel I can express myself on this forum without fear.

Good day so far. Exercised as planned, getting ready to do some cooking soon (chicken soup, beef stew). Lots of black coffee. A couple of cups of green tea. No snow yet, but what a gloomy day. It’s Groundhog Day in the US (sorry, I’m not sure if that’s only something we celebrate here) so gloomy is good actually. Good luck today to everyone. Thanks for being here.

prana

Hi Purple yes i too watched that SBS show and i have to say i found the extraction of 4 top teeth in a 2yo very disturbing and wonder who will take responsibility ?? The program was excellent and the pilot going from 106kg to 78kg a powerful visual
    happy hump day friends
    RT

Me too Pent. Savoury foods are definitely my choice. Still doesn’t make it easy to avoid overeating though. 😕

Prana, well done on discovering the food avoidance trick so early. I don’t eat anything until dinner on fast days, and have learnt to delay my first food on normal days too. I just get busy and find I think I’ve had breakfast. So much easier to avoid overeating if you don’t start early. It also seems to reduce the desire to snack.

I lost 30kg back in 2013 by strict 5:2 only. Took a year, but have maintained my healthy weight ever since. I usually do 1 good fast a week, but the other days I eat what I feel like. This usually means no, or late, light breakfast, and 2 meals of very few white starchy foods (love fish and salad). I rarely snack any more. I just don’t feel the need. Drinking lots of water instead of eating, then getting busy is the trick. I don’t feel deprived as I don’t restrict what I eat, just how much, and love being light weight again. Daily weighing keeps me honest.

My husband reversed his insulin dependent diabetes with 5:2. This wol is a no brainer. 😊
    Cheers everyone
    P

Posts crossed…g’day RT. Glad you are giving my quote an airing. 😉
    Have a good one (hump days irrelevant in this household now 😁😂😃) P

Hello Everyone,
    Just had a nice bowl of Chicken Chasseur left over from last Sat dinner. I left half the bowl because I was full. Lucky dogs will get the rest sice I can’t reheat it again.

Just watched dog rescuers while I had lunch, some people are so cruel to keep pets in such appalling conditions.

Playing bowls everyday at the moment and finally finding my form. Still decorating but the end is in site, possibly Friday.

Fasting tomorrow.

Happy bump day everyone

Hi Jo
    Good to hear you’ve almost got your flat back to habitable. When do you move back in? P

Good morning fast trackers.

Penti, my sympathies! Social eating is my downfall too although I’m completely catholic in my gluttony and can front up up to sweet as well as savoury rubbish.

Praya, I agree about delaying eating for as long as possible. While not denying the empty feeling, I can cope probably all day. I introduced my 3pm snack last year because otherwise I would get home from work and fall off the wagon while preparing dinner.

Purple and RT, good to hear you enjoyed the SBS program on sugar. We recorded it because we watched the 1st ep. of Dr M’s new ABC program instead, which followed Catalyst – a must watch for us science nerds!

Jo, good to hear you are resuming your life and gradually getting your flat back to rights. It’s horrible to come back and find one’s home has been trashed.

Monday’s FD went well and today is half over with no problems so far. MW fish for dinner tonight so can lash out on the quantity and still be under 25% TDEE for the day. Had a bit of a pig-out yesterday as a lunchtime planning meeting had hot pizza! 🙁 🙁 Limited myself to two pieces, with nothing else until a small grilled steak and salad for dinner so not all bad and the scales were still kind this morning.

Haven’t been doing non-b2b fasts long enough to know what to expect after the first non-FD yet. My real benchmark is Monday morning’s weigh-in and how it compares with the previous week’s, although like others I weigh daily.

OH is off on Sunday to WA for a week’s consulting so planning very light eating without the social/family meals responsibility and delaying eating each day for as long as possible, as Purple does.

Happy hump day! n xxx

Hi Everyone,
    I posted on Sunday, but I guess it never went through. I am following along. Have a cold. It is the first cold I have had. I stopped fasting for the last few weeks. I think fasting helps with the immune system. I did complete a successful fast yesterday. Yeah me! Thank you for the positive words everyone.
    Take care

Hi Nicky.
    I find, by separating fast days, it gives me a massive spin off the next day. I usually wake up forgetting it IS an eating day, so it is easy to delay.
    Today (a normal day) I ate nothing until 1pm. Not intentionally, but because I realised I didn’t feel hungry, so got stuck into mowing, swimming etc. Lunch was a hard boiled egg, 1 rasher of bacon on a fabulous leafy salad with a glass of wine. Well worth the wait!!!!
    I find this wol has taught me to choose which calories are really worth consuming.
    My fitness monitor indicates to me that I only burn 1500-1600 cals a day, despite heavy gardening and absolute minimum 10000 steps a day. Mr P, with the same number of steps, and only 10 kg heavier, burns 2000 -2500 cals doing the same exercise. Not fair, but a reality check on how much I can consume without gaining weight. 😕 Always worth considering. That’s why I set my 1/4 TDEE at 350. Cheers P

Purple Veggie, your posts are so interesting & often educating.

I can’t ‘skip’ meals like some of you do during FD. Just the way by body works as I’m prone to hyperglycemia. I am not diabetic. I just can’t eat frivolously or go long periods without food so small eating points consuming a combination of complex carbohydrates plus a protein keep me on an even ‘glucose’ keel. I AM able to complete successful FD days with concentration and spreading my calories fairly evenly across the day.

Jojo the treatment of animals dogs especially in Portugal is scandalous and ugly. When we go for drives exploring our new country we inevitably see at least once every single time, a ‘maddened’ dog on a chain running in circles…it’s heart breaking. But many Expats and some of the younger generation of citizens here are creating programs to rescue animals and educate folks.

Pranayama So sorry I didn’t mean to suggest that Bayleafoz has a blog I meant when you click on a person’s ‘name’ within this Forum their biography shows up. Some folks have not filled in any information about themselves but I find it is interesting know a bit about with whom I’m ‘chatting’.

NickyF…pizza, pizza I seem to remember that word ….brings me a warm loving sensation …hmmmmm….sigh

Exercise is still my challenge after such a long illness my muscles (and my will) has atrophied. I always enjoyed mountain hiking and dancing; both were my uber-happiness-generating lifestyle hobbies for over four decades. So I get really bored and annoyed that I can only walk for 20-30 minutes at a time before my body sends me back home like a cow-to-the-barn! But I KNOW that if I stay dedicated and (as NIKE used to say) “Just Do It” 2x-3x a day & ALWAYS do my ‘stretches’ + now add some callanetics & ‘weights’ on alternate days, I will eventually rebuild the muscles and can embark on more interesting and inspiring tramps up into the wild hills. The 5.2 or 4.3 program along with this specific Forum is really good for me. Keeps me focused. Thanks to you all! Stay Strong & Good Luck

Viewing 50 posts - 12,851 through 12,900 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.