Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,251 through 8,300 (of 16,657 total)

• I don’t go to M&S very often or I would have avoided the bakery aisle, but found myself there by accident. I was so tempted by the croissants which were huge!
    I bought some Easter eggs for my friends boys and the sight of all the chocolates did nothing for me. I looked the other way as I passed the desserts and was so pleased with myself.
    The burger on the bus contained something deep fried in batter, I guess it was chicken, and it was in one of those rolls that are claggy and stick to the roof of your mouth. I think it was the smell of the chips that did it. I forgot to mention, he ate the burger followed by a few chips and then opened a box containing a second burger and got stuck in ๐Ÿ˜†

Oh yes, and he was the size of an undernourished stick insect!

Health coach B
    I wish it were different for you. It’s ok to post those things that bring out emotion here. We had discussion in the past . About how some ways of dealing with things is to eat even though were not hungry. Food usually makes feel good. I’m in Indianapolis , In. Many guys want to paint the sailboat colts blue. But I’m good with checkered , as it’s easy to theme.

As far as calories go. I agree with the others read the 5:2 book . And understand TDEE .
    For many people counting calories is nerve racking. Well I guess it used to be for me.
    Now however its kind of like a spelling test. With a 1000 words on it. The first week seems overwhelming . But after week 200 it’s almost a no brainer! If y’all know what I mean ! I just picked up a few digital food scales along the way. Also bought a bunch of Pyrex cups with lids. I think I’m up to 200 cups now. They are very durable . Very versatile and non toxic.

Oh I’m just Ramblin on . Another long day made longer. If I close mine eyes will be asleep in…

Hi everyone
    I presume Jojo is planning a really big bash for the 1st Birthday Anniversary, which is 26th April. Just over a month away now.
    How can we plan a cyber party?
    Keep on track everyone. Cheers P

Hi FTs
    I’ve finally had a morning to myself to catch up on the forum. I unsubscribed and notified Jay Jay (the techie) He spent the weekend trying to fix the notification bug. I think it’s right now, but the old notifications still come through occasionally.

Well done on your continued successes, especially Weemam. Hope the foot is much better now Samm and you are enjoying Sydney RT.

Amazon, every time you mention M & S, I read it as S & M and it changes the whole story completely! ๐Ÿ˜†

Applepie, the ACT is a bit of land they carved out of New South Wales when Australia became a Federation in 1901. Melbourne and Sydney fought over who was to house the capital, so Canberra was purpose built half way. Most of us refer to it as “toy town” as it was a designed city, not growing up like tospy as most cities do.

Jojo, I look forward to Bay, you and I getting together in Sydney. Should be fun! We are off to the US, Canada and Alaska in May, June and hopefully Scotland for Christmas, but will be here in October.
    Happy days, P ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Barata

Cheering for your team. First one bowled out. ๐Ÿ™„ always cheering for your team until they meet ours. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Great day for it.

Purple, you’re so right about waking up the hunger voice if you eat sweet things. Had guests over this morning and was fine with smoked salmon and eggs. However, I also ate a few sweet green grapes. O, boy! Now fighting off having more. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Cheers, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks, Bay. I have an earplug into my transistor (younger workmate professed not to know what that was!). And yes, I will cheer for Aus on Thursday.

Another slow day at work, so am keeping an eye on the forum as well.

You ladies have reminded me to grate the tasty cheese and freeze it, it now has a tendency to go mouldy in the fridge. Love cheese, used to have crackers and cheese when I got home from work, with my cuppa. Not now, though. ๐Ÿ™ (or not so often)

bayleafoz and SAMM, thank you for the input, I have been tracking my calories and I have had to many emotional eatings in the last month, so I am going to put that in the past and move forward. My fifth scheduled day for fasting is Wednesday. Today I had my 1120 calories.
    Everyone.. I love the knowledge and the posts.

Barata

Rain in Auckland ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I hate the Duckworth Lewis system they bring in when it rains. What happens if the rest of the day is completely rained out? Will they replay tomorrow? Fingers crossed.

Cheers, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Sarah

Self knowledge is the key to success. Well done.

Cheers, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi all, another FD almost under my belt (so to speak, lol) … for those not from Australia I noticed someone asking what the initials meant, so I thought I’d put them all in here for general information:

QLD = Queensland
    NSW = New South Wales
    ACT = Australian Capital Territory
    VIC = Victoria
    TAS = Tasmania
    SA = South Australia
    WA = Western Australia
    NT = Northern Territory

NZ = New Zealand (far eastern state of Australia … LOL just kidding ๐Ÿ˜† )

Another busy day for me but that’s cool ๐Ÿ˜€ have to keep moving, have tried to keep up with the emails but no time to go back and double check stuff so if I’ve answered the person’s question twice well at least the info is there.

Morning/evening all.

Managed to get myself out of bed this morning so I’m off to Pilates in a few minutes.

FD today, so I’ve written a list of things to do when I get back to keep me out of the kitchen.

Have a good day/evening everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

Amazon,

Your comment on keeping out of the kitchen has just made me think about why I might struggle on fast days! I work at home quite a lot, and this winter moved down from the office to a cosier spot at the end of the kitchen. Not easy to keep out of the kitchen when you’re sat in it for 7 hours…

Good Morning All,
    The reading drove me to my bed very early last night after a snooze on the sofa book in hand. Only managed 54 pages plus waking up at 1o/c in the night thinking it was morning. So I am going to skip bowls this morning to catch up on my book, it has to be finished before tomorrow night. Can’t present a book I haven’t read fully.
    Good news this morning, one pound down, hooray.

I have decided that until I reach goal I am giving up butter, may favourite food. Use was reduced when I gave up bread but I squeeze it in at every opportunity, on potatoes, corn, cook eggs in it, cook mushrooms in it. Basically I love it. I won’t buy it now until maintenance when it will be firmly re-established as I think ‘fat’ is key in a healthy body. It is however calorie laden and I need to focus.

Yesterday when making a salad I discovered I had run out of ‘leaves’ so I improvised by cooking and chillin zero noodles with lots of meditteranean veg and honey and mustard dressing, surprisingly good, worth a try. (Rinse before cooking gently for 2 mins then rinse under cold water).

Running and circuit training later.

Have a great day.
    PVE I will be in NZ until early November then Aus, starting at the bottom and moving anti clockwise around the cities.

OA, I beg to differ. Australia is the West Island!!

Jojo, we will warm our spring for you (here’s hoping!)

Looks like we might have a complete (relatively speaking) game on our hands, Bay. Must get back to the tv.

Classic direction Jojo. We often think Australia is starting to spin left with everyone travelling anti clockwise ๐Ÿ˜‰ P

Wow, Barata

One ball to spare what a match ! And the last six was hit by the ex South African Elliot. You couldn’t write a better script for a match.

Cheers, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Have fun at Pilates, Amazon! I am rejoining soon!
    Good news on the pound down, Jojo! I want to experiment with other uses for zero noodles. As long as there are lots of veggies to provide texture, they are good in salad. I am thinking of purรฉe ina them to provide body in sauces or smoothies. Will report on any breakthroughs!
    Happy day, all!

Thanks Ply the loss was long overdueand I hope it stays away, new low, lifts the spirits. Fancy visiting me in UK anytime this summer?
    Necessity is the mother of invention. I admit to using potato to thicken soup but definitely worth trying zero noodles. Anyone else any low cal thickening solutions, no one likes runny soups and sauces. I didn’t like noodles just added to soup, texture was gloopy.
    Just to let you know salad was great day 2 as well, I had been worried it would be ghastly but no problem.

Hi Jojo

I love thin soups. I haven’t thickened any soup in 20 years. And sometimes I drink them from a mug. I make chicken soup, clear vegetable soup, tomato and carrot and ginger soup, cress and spinach soup, all of them thin and delicious. ๐Ÿ˜‰

However, I remember that people used to thicken soup with arrowroot. Kumara, aka sweet potato, is good for you and can be used to thicken soup.

Cheers, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Bay
    I don’t thicken soup either. I drink it liquid and ‘lumps’, but one of my sons always blended his to thicken it. He wore out lots of stick blenders as he loved veg soup when he was studying. ๐Ÿ™‚ P

I like soup to be thick and smooth with the exception of Chinese style crab and sweetcorn, so I blend everything. If you want some texture, but thicker soup, try blending a third of it and mixing it in.

I am trying to ignore my hunger at the moment as I want to save all my calories until dinner. It might be Bovril time!

Pilates was tough this morning, but I guess that is because I missed the last two weeks and I’ve not been doing it long enough to have gain any signifucant strength. It was enjoyable though ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Bay Purple and Amazon,
    There are a few soups tolerable in thin form, chicken broth being one, onion, and consommรฉ another but otherwise give me smooth and creamy texture.

Now I am looking for ideas for a cyber party.

I know I can rely on Amazon for appropriate emoticoms. We of course will need to update Mickey the elephant. Any ideas? I will probably work on a ‘verse’. Amazon and Smithy could always come on a visit that weekend and join my first coastal walk as ‘Walk Leader’. What do you think ladies?

Must get going- circuit training awaits

Sounds like a good idea to me ๐Ÿ˜›

No more exercise for me today. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill after Pilates, and that was enough.

Sounds good to me too . fasting today so doing some work in the garden . Keeping myself busy .

Wee xxx

Party ideas,

What about a celebratory fast day recipe that we could all try on our birthday, followed by cake of course? Possibly even a glass of wine.

Suggestions!

Hello all

Haven’t been on the thread for a few days, so hastily trying to catch up. Lots of positive things happening.

Jojo – I’d love to join you and Amazon on the ‘birthday’ weekend but the end of April is particularly busy for me. Well done on the loss.

I have often wondered what Zero noodles would be like cold in a salad, and will definitely try your idea. I’ve also been wondering about using the Zero rice cold as a salad mixed with chopped veg such as onion, pepper and celery with a low calorie dressing. Anyone tried it? The rice I have is a different brand from the noodles and smells particularly strong – like someone’s smelly old socks – so need a lot of rinsing before boiling.

I’ve had a good fast day so far – just a couple of cups of tea, Marigold Bouillon and water, with Hairy Biker’s roast cod recipe with peppers, red onion and courgette to look forward to for supper.

We walked 4 miles with the dogs this morning and I then did a good hour of heavy-duty gardening digging over my large vegetable plot before it began raining, so I’m feeling quite virtuous. It’s amazing how much more time you have by not eating breakfast and lunch!

I’m not expecting any difference on the scales though – there has been a lot of eating and drinking going on over the past few days celebrating two friends’ birthdays, and last night that of my niece.
    It’s OH’s birthday on Friday but I am taking him out for a surprise meal on Thursday (a superb fish restaurant – hope he doesn’t read this!), as Friday is our monthly neighbourhood get-together.

Thank goodness for 5:2, otherwise I would be in big trouble!

Have a good evening/morning all

Smiffy x

Good morning Jojo, Amazon, Wee and Smiffy …and all the lurkers ๐Ÿ™‚
    I could whip up some delicious cyber cakes for the party. Apple and walnut, banana and walnut, pineapple and carrot, orange and almond. All iced with rich fluffy cyber icing. I’ll have to make sure the cyber fruit are in season at the end of April. ๐Ÿ˜†

I use shredded lettuce, fennel and carrot as the basis of my salads these days. Topped with strong, usually Thai, flavours. Gone completely away from starchy carbs in salads. I only use “zero” noodles/rice in hot winter dishes for extra bulk in cold weather.

Happy birthday to Mr Smiffy. I hope you both enjoy his “surprise” ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dark here at 6.30am…roll on the end of Daylight Saving ๐Ÿ™ P

Morning all, lol Barata good job we know we’re just mucking around ๐Ÿ˜€

Had a good FD yesterday, including one slice of bread (and butter … also my fave Jojo) a total of 350 cals (yes the bread was the bulk of that but my serve of soup, 100 cal, just wasn’t quite enough but I’m reducing again from what I had been eating as I was stalling in my loss).

Another busy day today … having lots of family and other things going on (as well as work) and it’s starting to ramp up again with the showing and doggy side of things.

Love keeping up with all the banter and information, stories and fun in this thread, thank you all for sharing.

Next time I bake a cake I’m going to try a Paleo carrot cake recipe I found. It has a lemon icing but I think I’ll not bother with that and serve it with a little cream or yoghurt as even cream will have less calories than icing made with coconut cream.

Don’t ask why I’ve been torturing myself on a FD looking at recipes, but I have!
    Despite that, the day has gone well, hunger pangs eliminated by a mug of Bovril. For dinner I had the last of the cheese and broccholi soufflรฉes that I made a few weeks ago. They freeze well but don’t rise up as much on the second cooking.

Purple, I like most vegetables, but the two I cannot eat are fennel and celery. I’ve tried fennel raw and cooked on several occasions over the years and I don’t care for it at all. Celery is the food of the devil :spit:
    I am using a wider variety of leaves, herbs and raw vegetables and fruit in salads. I like shredded green papaya, and raw shredded beets are great too, and I guess you wouldn’t mind them either as they turn everything purple ๐Ÿ˜‰

I like fennel only in tuna salad . And I like tuna salad better with fennel it.
    Thanks for the fennel idea.

Wow, Jojo, giving up butter. And lots of exercise. What a girl! ๐Ÿ™„ I love fennel shredded and added to stir fry dishes for a change of flavour. Fennel and orange salad goes well with fish.

cheers, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Bay,

I wish I could love fennel too ๐Ÿ™

Whew! What a close shave for the cricketers. Well done, Grant Elliot. Apparently he’s nicknamed ‘hairy javelin’ by his mates – thin and hirsute. ๐Ÿ™‚

OA, I seem to recall that the Australian law from the 1800s that made NZ part of NSW has never been revoked!

I would love to put lots of veges into my salads, but unfortunately OH is very fussy – rings of cucumber standing around the salad bowl! ๐Ÿ™

Mr P rejects cucumber and tomato, but,through 5:2, now eats things like fennel. It needs to be unrecognizable and heavily disguised with other flavours, but really is made to go with fish! Orange fennel salad with Thai flavours is a big fav.
    Yes Amazon, I love beetroot, sauerkraut and purple carrots. Fabulous colours; )
    Yogurt works really well with cakes, but my contribution to the party is CYBER cakes ๐Ÿ˜‰ P

My contribution can be Scottish clootie dumpling . :wink ( for Amazon)

Wee xx

Can I have the non cyber recipe please Wee ? P

Well I like raw fennel as an accompaniment to hummus ๐Ÿ™‚

And braised… And pickled…

Hi FTers everywhere:
    Emel, AO, RT and comespring in South Australia
    Nama and Keirra in Victoria
    Bay in ACT
    Purple in NSW
    Barata in NZ
    Jojo, Smiffy, HappyNow, Amazon, Hermaj, Lizzy and Wee in UK
    Wiwi in France
    Applepie from Spain
    Ply, SAMM, Lori and HealthCoachB in USA.
    In case Iโ€™ve missed anyone, no offence intended. As RT says: โ€œHello World, You know Who You are.โ€ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Purple, Canberra toy town? Adelaide is also a planned city (albeit without the HUGE roundabouts) surrounded by a green belt and 5 large parks within 1 square mile – at least it’s easy to navigate. When we moved to Brizzie years ago and long before Satnavs, trying to find the Motor Registry I ended up going around the same set of one-way streets 3 times before I worked out how to break out.

On the topic of veg soup, I always put in half-head of celery but don’t like it any other way …, also can’t stand aniseed flavours so fennel is definitely no for me. I like smooth soup but OH likes it chunky so I usually put roasted pumpkin in which disintegrates as it cooks. Other veg go through the food processor slicing blade to save time in prep and cooking.

Well done NZ last night – really exciting game. We had been listening on the radio and then discovered channel 90 was broadcasting it. No more barracking for you though unless Australia loses tonight ๐Ÿ˜‰

Two perfect FDs under my belt this week (<350C each day) and scales now showing the same as last Friday’s reading. With a semi-FD today and weight training, and another proper FD tomorrow, hoping to at least see a return to my pre-Christmas low, and another week before Easter to shed the extra kg. Will need to focus on non-FDs as well for that to happen I suspect.

Take care everyone and keep up the good work. n xxx

PVE of course you can pal . I usually just throw things in without measures . I will try to work it out for you . It is like a fruit pudding and you put it in a floured cloth ( usually a white willow slip that has been boiled clean ) and you boil it for hours . I haven’t made one for years :). When you take it out you let it dry out and it forms a skin around it . It is gorgeous BUT very high in calories ๐Ÿ™‚ xxx

Thanks Wee, any time that suits you. I need to build up my Scottish recipes. P ๐Ÿ™‚

This is the recipe roughly to what I do . I use treacle not syrup and mixed spice as the spices . XX

http://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/clootiedumpling.htm

This is yummy but not for 5.2 lol

http://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/tablet.php

oops the dumpling one should have said pillow slip lol

wee xx

Cheers Wee ๐Ÿ™‚

jojo and others- I love soup too. I love cabbage soup with celery using chicken broth. I think I could sip on soup all day. There is one food I have cut out until I reach my goal and that is peanut butter and or almond butter.. so addicting. Butter hurts my stomache so that went out about two years ago. Coconut oil is my go to fat.I love it in everything.

Hi all,

We are certainly all different in our tastes! I make veggie soup with big chunks, then (as Amazon does) blend some of it, so it ends up thick with lumps! Sometimes I put pieces of steamed chicken, a tin of evaporated milk and some curry and its a meal in itself. Still low calorie too.

Amazon I have enjoyed celery more since reading that it burns more calories to digest than in the actual celery. Because of all the fibre. I love it in Waldorf salad with walnuts, apples and cheese.

Just back from the city after a very early start. Up at 5.30 to have my son in by 7am for wisdom tooth extraction under anaesthetic. (Easier than his girl taking a day off work.) I feel like I have been up all night! It will be early to bed tonight.

Jojo I admire your determination re giving up butter. I absolutely love the stuff but do limit it. And as you say, without much bread its easier. But as for giving it up …. Nah! I tried Purples “fast food” version of corn, cooked in microwave with leaves still on and managed that without butter (lots of salt!). It was yum! Thanks Purple! Cant wait to try your cyber cakes. They will be delish and so low calorie!

Cheers all, too tired to make much sense…

Goodo Nama, but next time…NO SALT!!!
    With 5:2 you learn to taste the real food. Naked corn is fabulous!
    I never used celery until about 10 years ago. Almost never make dishes without it now as it adds a lovely low cal crunch. ๐Ÿ™‚
    You’re a kind mum. Hope the extraction was ok. ๐Ÿ™‚ P

Thanks Purple, all good, very relieved young man. Swollen face but that’s nothing. I know you are right re the salt, but I crave it more than ever lately. I think I actually need it, find myself eating vegemite off a spoon. And no leg cramps when I have it. I eat minimal hidden salt in processed food and my blood pressure is normal so I allow myself salt instead of sugar! Only on the occasional spud, an egg or corn. Or a pinch in porridge – essential!

Ps will try the corn without clothes next time!

Good morning Fast a Trackers,
    Not in a good way this morning, terrible lower back ache and stiffness, barely able to walk, probably caused in yoga or circuit training yesterday or spending too much time immobile reading my book ready for tonight. Who knows? but I will cancel bowls this morning as the standing around between turns will be unbearable. I will still take part in singing this afternoon as it is a special event- top secret until later. Fasting until dinner tonight as Indian meal at book club, if I can get there, only 30 pages to read this morning before dog walk( should loosen me up)No running or dancing for me for a couple of days.

There are real hazards to this fit life style, my hip was playing up all night too.

Ok I have stopped moaning, I deserve all I get, over exerting myself. So cross with myself. Strictly rest until Friday, two whole days, must get well for Wembly on Saturday. I will go no matter what, drugged up to eyeballs if necessary.

Anyway some more good news, down another half a pound, every little bit counts.

I can give up anything now to achieve my goal, it is the top priority. Fasting has empowered me and it can do the same for you. It has taken a long time, over one year but I honestly feel that this will be the last time I ever need to diet. How many of my fellow Fasters feel this? If so please say it! Newbies need to hear how we have changed our way of life for good, it will give them inspiration. NO MORE JUNK FOOD, Goodbye sugar( use natural sweeteners such as fruit, but not everyday) sweet treats should be weekly or monthly not daily, that way your body can deal with the sugars.

Have a great day everyone.

That’s interesting Nama. I find I crave salted nuts these days. I had given up salting food years ago, but in the late afternoon, salt seems to be the need. Mmmm…
    Anyone else experience this? P

Edit: We crossed posts Jojo.
    Sorry about your pain…grumble if it helps ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Well done on the downhill slide and, yes, I agree. That’s why we were hell bent, 12 months ago, to reach our goal on the first anniversary of our 5:2 journey. Here we are nearly another year down, and do not regard our eating regime as a “diet “. Lovin’ it! ๐Ÿ™‚ P

Viewing 50 posts - 8,251 through 8,300 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.