Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,301 through 8,350 (of 16,657 total)

• Hi Nama and PVE,
    I have always liked salty food like pickled anchovies and crisps. Have one packet of crisps per week these days. I never add salt to food though, only pepper. I eat unsalted nuts and breadsticks( which probably include salt). I think some of us linked lack of salt in our diet to headaches in the early days of fasting and restriction of processed food. Like sugar salt is added to a great many foods and when suddenly cut produces cravings.

Can we have volunteers to design Fast Trackers birthday meal, most of you are better cooks than me but I can do the soup recipe if you like?

Starter 250 cals
    Main course 500 cals
    Dessert 250 cals
    Wine 200 cals

Under 1200 cals for the whole thing and very tasty

Morning/evening all.
    The body needs a certain amount of salt in order to function properly. It contributes to the way our muscles and nerves work, hence the cramp if we don’t have enough, and it helps balance the fluids in our body, which is
    very efficient at eliminating it if there is too much present.

Nama, you probably know all that already. Have as much salt as you like on your corn, especially if you are eating it without butter πŸ˜‰ Those of us who 2don’t go for processed foods are in no danger of eating too much of it, and should add it to our food to ensure we consume enough for our bodies to keep us moving properly (puts soapbox away)

I eat butter, but not very often and in much smaller quantities than before. As I’m not eating bread at the moment, I’ve only used about 150g since Shrove Tuesday!

Jojo, yes you are right, you’ve been overdoing it, but that doesn’t mean I can’t say. poor you and send you a cyber hug. I hope you feel better soon.

Wee, I’ve not tasted a cloutie dumpling, but they look fab althought probably a bit sweet for me these days, so could you put no more than half the usual amount of sugar/trEacle in please πŸ˜‰

I never liked celery as a child but used to eat it in a restaurant who made the most divine Waldorf salad. It was very finely sliced, and mixed in with so many other nice flavours it wasn’t overpowering. I know that I eat sauces and stocks that have been made using celery, when I eat out, but the flavour isn’t noticeable. When faced with big chunks or slices of it, I just want to throw up πŸ™

I use fennel seeds in cooking, and star anise, but in general I don’t care for aniseed flavours either.

I’m off to the gym and then to the cinema this afternoon.

Have a good day/evening everyone πŸ˜›

Hello Fast Trackers

We have arrived home in France on Monday and woke up this morning to a 5cm coating of snow. We didn’t see the plane crash in the Alps, although we look directly over in that direction.
    It’s strange being back at the other ‘home’
    I got a great yearning to eat lentils which come from this region.
    I love your use of ‘lurkers’, Purple. I felt I was one of them. I feel a bit of a shirker too, but soup and green tea is today’s menu.

The menu is for the birthday of this forum or for our own birthdays?

I know a yummy starter – very low calorie. It’s a ProvenΓ§al dish called champignons Γ  la grecque.
    You cook button (very white) mushrooms gently in olive oil with already cooked onons, then you add coriander and black pepper. You can add tomatoes too if you wish. Then you add white wine and cook for about 40 minutes. The only calories come from the olive oil and wine). You cool this dish for 24 hours until the flavours mingle. Big Yum.

Sorry, JoJo about your aches and pains. I hope the book is absorbing enough to keep your mind off the pains.

Have a good morning/night.
    Wiwi

Bienvenue Γ  la maison, Wiwi. πŸ˜‰
    Excellent starter for the party. Can’t wait for the rest. Lucky my cakes are only cyber…they’d really stuff the cal count. πŸ˜† P

Amazon,
    Great post, very informative. What else has natural salts? I am not sure I am getting enough, often get foot cramp in Yoga.

Tangatawiwi- glad you are home safe.
    Starter sounds delicious, hope everyone likes mushrooms.

Maybe we should have three choices, that way everyone can contribute to this event. I don’t see any reason why we can’t choose our favourite dishes for our birthdays.
    Ok so we have one soup – Chilli Squash Soup(Jojo)
    One starter – champignons a la ‘grecque’ ( bloody spell check did not like French)(Wiwi)
    Still in bed nursing back but book finished and absolutely loved it, I adore science fiction and must get back to audio versions for the future.
    Pills popped and now heading to the park, moving with stiffness but only minor pain now. Lesson learned – but who knows for how long ha ha – sucker for punishment.
    Keep posting friends

Hi Jojo,
    I hope you feel better after a walk. I agree you have strained something then sat too long reading! Re salty foods, you are on the right track with things like anchovies and pickles, also olives. (the brine they are in). Another would be any bouillion or stock in your soup, marmite or yeast extract, or soy sauce has a lot of salt in it. When I lived in a hot region as a kid, we were sometimes given salt tablets to counteract salt lost in perspiration, esp if we complained of a cramp! Muscle cramps can also be lack of Magnesium or Calcium, but you could start with more common table salt. Mine have decreased since adding it more, my feet were cramping when I first started swimming, not fun. Cramps also common in pregnancy due to baby using all the calcium, but I hope none of us have that issue these days! I saw a cat years ago (when I worked for a vet) that had what was called “milk fever” – feeding kittens and lack of calcium. She was hysterically active, almost running around the sides of her cage, but one jab of calcium from the vet, she instantly relaxed. Our bodies (and animals bodies) are finely tuned machines! Obviously its a health hazard to have too much salt too, raises blood pressure and puts stress on the kidneys, but by reducing processed food we eliminate so much salt from our diets. I think you are pretty good at listening to your body, even when it is screaming for mercy!

Never guess what, just got into size 14 skinny black jeans, so happy. They are not really approved of by my choir but What the Hell I am wearing them. Hip hip sway

Sorry Nama missed your post, will definitely add more salt into diet. I think if we were good at listening to our bodies we would never have put on weight in the first place. Emotional eater me not mindful, but learning.

Hiya everyone . too many names to say them all now but as RT says ” you know who you are ”

Jojo I hope you feel better soon pal and well done on the troosers πŸ™‚ .

Amazon I think that would work well . I like the treacle as it gives the dumpling a better taste than syrup ( my opinion) Mam and I used to put in Mixed spice as in those days there weren’t as many spices available.

Can someone tell me how to do the sweetcorn on the cob in the microwave please . I won’t eat it naked as OH would run for the iron if he saw all that wrinkled skin lol.

I have marigold bullion quite a lot simply for the salt as I never add salt to my meals .

I am over the moon with another sneaky pound off this morning .. that is 51 pounds since July on 5.2 and about 75 pounds in total πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Wee xx

Afternoon all.

I’m just back from the gym. I had a good workout, a short swim, a jacuzzi and then almost fell asleep in the sauna!
    I have a few aches from Pilates yesterday, but nothing that stopped me doing anything today.

A little salt makes a difference to so many things IMO. It really does enhance the flavour. I’m not one for adding masses of it, but I always use it when cooking. As I don’t do processed foods I don’t get much in my diet apart from the foods that Nama mentioned.

I have found a very nice Paleo recipe for carrot cake with lemon cream icing that might be a contender for a birthday cake. It contains no gluten or sugar. The finished article is huge, two cakes sandwiched together. The icing is very calorific as it contains coconut cream. I am going to make a half quantity of the cake next weekend without the icing and serve it with a little cream or yoghurt. I’ll also sit down and work out how to reduce the calories in the icing, starting with half fat coconut cream.

I’m going to the cinema to see Suite Francaise, which is set during WW2 and stars Kristen Scott-Thomas who I think is an excellent actress.

Well done on the jeans Jojo πŸ˜›

Amazon I do put salt in potatoes and veg to cook but don’t add it to anything I eat . I used to when I ate chips πŸ™‚

Wee xx

Hi Wee,

I don’t usually add it to food on the plate apart from fish and chips πŸ˜‰

http://www.wikihow.com/Microwave-Corn-on-the-Cob

I forgot to add this πŸ™‚

Aww Thanks pal . I will get corn at the weekend πŸ™‚ xx

Ok I am back home and can tell all.

My Rock Choir ‘flash mobbed’ the women’s Institute centenary meeting today at the Winter Gardens in Margate.

Our soloist got up on stage and started singing. Then our choir, mixed in with the 1200 candidate audience got up a few at a time and danced and sang to ‘Proud’.

The ladies were very surprised, it was a lot of fun. We had a 65 strong choir.

If you want to see what we did you can go on utube http://tinyurl.com/opbqtiz

Jojo sorry pal but it takes me to 14 different rock choir dance moves . Is it one of them ? xx

Proud- it won’t be me sadly but it is the song and moves, should be the top one

Aww I wanted to see you pal πŸ™‚ xx

Everyday so long ts maki g my planned break a breaking point! Uggg!
    So tired I woke up in yesterday’s clothes .

Went to the gym and the attendant questioned why. Was pushing so hard , I’m like. , can I get some towels !
    Well at least he noticed , and took time to speak his peace. I guess.
    I’ve decided my planned breaks will either span 3-2 or 1 weekends. Depending on how I feel.
    I feel like I’ll be just fine going back to fasting afte skipping only 1 weekend.

So just one more day. To eat whatever I want. Hmmmmm

Pork BBQ ribs with coors beer while cleaning the boat sounds good.
    I don’t usually drink beer , but since I only have 5 breaks per year I think that it will not be too detrimental.
    Plus if I want a bunch guys helpin , in need to give beer. But to get them to help get it ready ASAP it usually. Just takes a few buckets of food . Lol. I like to burn one pork rib on purpose just see if any hands show up.

Morning all.

Wee fantastic … 51 pounds … that’s a wonderful result thus far (I know you don’t want to be “scrawny” and you only want to lose a few more pounds hence the thus far bit πŸ˜€ ).

Jojo that would have been awesome to participate in that flash mob scene πŸ˜€

SAMM hope you’re feeling less tired today πŸ™‚

Regarding salt, other than fish ‘n chips I rarely add salt … I’ve not added salt to my cooking (unless required for a specific recipe) for more than 20 years however I do have it as a condiment on the table for those who wish to add for themselves. I occasionally have added a little salt (mainly shepherds pie) for added flavour. However I DO like butter (the real stuff or softened slightly – no canola for me please πŸ˜€ ).

I’m feeling like I will have a good week of losing this week, tomorrow will tell the tale. FD for me today but have been mindful of everything I’ve put in my mouth all week, including the weekend. The only day I don’t worry about what I eat is a Friday but I AM mindful now of what I have on the weekends where before I wasn’t and I feel that was setting me up to not lose as much as I want/need each week. So a slight change of mindset, a little tweaking so to speak, and hopefully tomorrow I’ll be back on track with my losses πŸ˜†

Chat more later πŸ˜€

Hi Wee
    I’ll copy my earlier instructions. My then 12 year old son developed the technique πŸ™‚
    Buy a whole ear of corn (husks and silk still on).
    Place it in the microwave for 2 minutes on high.
    Gradually peel back the husks, one at a time, forming a handle with them at the base of the ear.
    Grab the top of silk and tug off. It will come off completely.
    Hold the hot corn by the β€œhusk handle” and enjoy. No need to add anything. Pure “naked” corn!! Enjoy! P πŸ™‚

Evening/morning all.

The film was very enjoyable. We then went to the pub for food and wine which was also very good. I had Hickory smoked BBQ ribs with coleslaw and fries. Delicious, and not such a huge amount that it would exceed my TDEE.
    It is a very wintry evening and I’ve had to put the heating on :brrr:

Hello 2lbers

Loving all the updates and stories of travels, exercise, foods and everything else.

Ty for your advice Samm.

7 weeks and 14 fasts down and my weight is fluctuating between 9 lbs and 13 lbs down since I started. I can’t fathom a pattern, sometimes it’s down after a FD, other time it’s up. I’m putting it down to water retention but quite content that it’s going in the right direction. Last week was my lowest calorie week since I started – I did 4:3 and stuck to 1200 calories on the non FD, skipping lunch each day and the scales went up. My lesson learnt is patience and don’t expect to see immediate results just cos I’ve had a low calorie day. There is a temptation to just keep cutting and cutting the calories lower and lower and that’s when it gets a bit out of control and not sustainable.

More water required for sure.

May I also join in the virtual cake celebration. I’ll donate a cyber sticky ginger cake to the cause.

I’ve just avoided banana and custard which my daughter and husband decided to have after their dinner. Pure comfort food. I find it easier than I thought to say no on a FD. It’s as if I’ve given myself a set of rules for 2 days a week and the answer is becoming automatic.

I do have a theory that when you move scales they don’t give an accurate reading. My scales live by that toilet and every time I pull them out my OH puts them back, whereas I want to leave them be. If I tell him to leave them in the middle of the floor he’ll think I’ve lost the plot and it does sound slightly obsessive. Looking for a new permanent home where they don’t need to be moved.

Do you find that opinion is divided when you tell people about IF. I’ve noticed some curiosity and some that are totally dismissive, suggesting is a dangerous fad. Keeping my own counsel and only sharing when asked and hoping to influence through results.

Love the flashmob concept, that must have been exciting, but nerve racking especially for the people that start it off.

Take care across the world

Been reading an interesting article about water retention as sure that is a factor in the daily fluctuations – I can’t gain/lose that much fat overnight.

Lots of reasons why a body can retain water but it got me thinking that that is the bodies response to something. Yes – I could look for ways of reducing that and that might show a difference on the scales, but if it’s not fat that I’m losing then so what.

I’m a massive fan of alternative therapies and will avoid taking over the counter medications at any cost as I believe they just mask the problems and inhibit the body’s own ability to repair itself.

So on that theme, trying not to concern myself with water retention and only consider natural ways to reduce eg less salt, less sugar, more fruit/veg, no artificial sweetener, less caffeine etc.

It sounds simple when you say it like that until tomorrow morning when I’m stressed at work, wanting a caffeine fix and reaching for diet drink as a quick fix.

I’m going to try and practise mindful drinking – is that a real thing or did I just make it up.

Hello CakeyWakey,
    It has been an amazing day. I was not nervous to sing and dance but some choralists were, I have performed in various shows over the years. Teaching does prepare you for public performance.

Well done on your loss. I find loss more reliable two days after a fast day. Also I put my scales in the same spot( mid tile) each day. Obviously I move it daily because it would be a trip risk if left.

Lots of people ask how I have lost weight. They often admire my determination but say they couldn’t possibly starve all day. It’s how I felt when I first heard about 5:2. You have to be desperate in the first place to consider this approach but after you get consistent good results you can appreciate the health benefits.

Watching a film with OH . Just popped in to say thanks Amazon and purple for the corn microwave instructions .I have saved them and I will get some at the weekend

Wee xx

Thanks for the Scottish recipe link, Wee. I made the lamb hot pot for dinner last night (not a fast day). Mr P enjoyed it.
    Enjoy your movie, I’m supervising tree loppers (again!) P πŸ™‚

Hi CW

I find that eating carbs such as wheat, rice, pasta, bread leads to fluid retention. I add salt or butter when I feel the food needs it. I don’t eat margarine. Lately for a treat I have been eating toasted GF seed bread with butter and vegemite (both salty). It’s what my body wants and I listen.

The only time I ignore my body is when sugar is involved. Now on my 36 th sugar free day. πŸ˜‰

Wee, fantastically well done on your 51 lbs lost. πŸ™„

Cheers, Bay

I LOVE Vegemite on toast πŸ˜›

Hi cakeywakey. And the rest.

Wee impressive numbers! Impressive that you found a wAy to maintain too!

Salt, hmmm, my approach is since I don’t eat from the processed foods or buy heat and serve foods.
    I need to seek salt. So I use 1 packet of iodized salt almost everyday. When I don’t I feel like weight training is overwhelming and I don’t enjoy my other activities due to cramps and other symptoms of having low sodium.

Ok gang I know I post this from time so apologies if reading this again.
    Since I take both approaches.
    Ten weeks of fasting
    Two weeks of muscle training.
    Here’s some good tips to ponder.
    Without further delay…..

Tips For Building Muscle

Use compound exercises that recruit maximal muscle fibers. Save the isolation exercises for when you have a solid foundation. Read here to see why compound exercises are the key to building muscle.
    Focus on getting stronger.
    Eat a carbohydrate and protein dense meal post-workout.
    Allow at least 48 hours between intense workouts for recovery.

Β Here are 10 muscle recovery tips for improved performance.
    Use free weights. Machines are fine, but free weights are where the gold is.
    Drink enough water. Stay fully hydrated. Read why drinking water is the secret to fat loss.
    Eat. If you’re not at least eating maintenance calories, it’s going to be hard to put on muscle.
    Focus on quality nutrition, and not just calories and macronutrients. Nutrient density is key. Here are 100 healthy foods you can eat.
    Sleep at least 8 hours a night.
    Train your legs. Don’t be a beach bodybuilder (ie only train chest and arms).

Β 
    Get under the bar and squat. Read here for instruction on doing the perfect squat.
    Eat the majority of your calories around your workout.
    Eat shortly after your workout to maximize muscle glycogen storage.
    Eat enough protein. Aim for at least .6-.8 grams/lb of lean body mass to maintain protein synthesis.
    Periodize your workouts. Create structure out of variation to continue getting stronger. Read more about incorporating periodization.
    Eat your essential fatty acids (EFAs). Fish oil is your friend. Read 33 health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids.
    Be consistent with your exercise and nutrition. Don’t skip days.
    Make sure you’re getting stronger from workout to workout. Add weight, reps, or reduce rest periods.
    Lift with intensity. Read these 9 reasons you should increase your exercise intensity.
    Get under the bar and squat. Did I already say that?
    Lift heavy.
    Be patient. If you put on .5lbs of muscle a week, you’re doing amazing.
    Keep a training journal. You need to know the weight and reps you’re trying to beat.
    Don’t just wing your workouts. Have a plan before you get to the gym.
    Keep a food journal.
    Utilize active recovery. Read more about improving performance by incorporating active recovery.
    Be realistic. We all have our genetic limits. However, chances are, your limits are further away than you think!
    Supplements are not necessary, but fish oil, protein powders, and vitamins won’t hurt.
    Train to failure. This is debatable, but used sparingly, the results don’t lie.
    There’s no need for gender specific workouts. Muscle is muscle.
    Get under the bar and squatΒ 
    Take body fat measurements so you can track your lean body mass gains.Β 

Here are 10 great ways to track your progress.
    Take before and after progress pictures so you can see if your training program is on the right track.

Β 
    Limit cardio. If you want some cardiovascular training, up the intensity of your workouts. Read more about how much cardio you should do to lose weight.
    Implement dynamic stretching to improve performance.
    Give your body a reason to grow. Don’t let it adapt.
    Use exercises like the bench press, squat, deadlift, rows, and variations thereof.
    Give your central nervous system a break too. Several back to back days of intense lifting can burn you out.
    Take a week off every few months for complete recovery of your muscle, tendons, joints, and mind.
    Get a workout partner if you need a little extra push.
    Optimize your natural hormones (testosterone, growth hormone, IGF-1) with short but intense workouts. Read more about how to boost growth hormone for better muscle gains and fat loss.
    Eat solid food. Protein shakes are fine, but they aren’t replacements for real food.
    Time your carbs or implement carbohydrate cycling to keep fat gain minimal. Read more about how to implement nutrient timing.
    Educate yourself. If you’re reading this, you’re on the right path. Read everything you can about fitness.
    Have fun with your workouts. If you don’t enjoy them, you won’t stick with them.
    Make pre-workout nutrition just as much of a priority as your post-workout nutrition. Fuel your workouts.
    As a beginner, use 2-3 full body workouts a week. Turn that into a split with more recovery as your experience level advances.
    Don’t be afraid to eat at night. Weight gain occurs as a result of excess calories, not from eating after 7pm.
    Use proper form. Exercise your muscles and not your ego.
    Last but not least, get under the bar and squat!

If I was only allowed one food whilst stranded on a desert island it would be marmite on toast

Mmmm…vegemite on hot buttered toast. Yummo!
    Oi! It’s a fast day! I’d better sign off. P πŸ˜‰

http://blog.glamour.com/health-fitness/blogs/vitamin-g/0209-andi-scores_vg.jpg

When making mine own menus I always consider the andi score.
    Due to fasting being a 4:3 lifestyle that dominates my nutrition intake . I put an emphasis on adequate nutrition. This is just a small tiny tinny list but the scores help influence decision making.

Hello All. I am paying for not reading the thread for 3 days – so much to catch up on. Some great losses have been posted – congrats to Wee(so impressive) and CW.

JoJo – hope the aches and pains are resolving. I get exhausted just reading your posts! Hopefully a bit of rest will get you back on track.

Some great recipes have been posted here. I have to confess that I hate to cook, I’ve been living on approximately 10 different food items since I started IF. I’m hoping that over time I will get more inspired. I won’t be posting a recipe for the cyber party – my top offering would be scrambled eggs with tons of veg mixed in served over slices of avocado and tomato. Not exactly party food.

Since I last posted I had a major train wreck on Monday. For the audition I went to, we were told that we would be contacted on Monday for call-backs. When I still hadn’t heard anything by 10 pm I hit the fridge in an emotional eating food frenzy.

Tuesday was a FD. Good start start to the day, I wasn’t hungry after the food frenzy. At 2 pm I got the call – great news, called back for Titania and, unbelievably, Puck! That gave me the willpower to complete the day as a full water fast. Emotions can help or hinder! I won’t be weighing myself until the weekend – don’t want to see Monday night reflecting in the scales! Hoping a second water fast day tomorrow will make the scales kinder to me.

Take care all, have a great day or evening, whichever applies.

Hi CW

My take on supplements, medications , and other homeopathic approaches.
    Just like no single food is perfect. Most supplements , medications ECt…
    Sometimes leave long term consequences , so I generally start and stop things.

For instance the 81 MG of aspirin is beneficial, but has long term consequences
    So I use most of my medications Intermittently.

I can con control my diabetes very well on 4:3. But when I go on planned break. I go back on my prescription.

I used to think that a multi vitamin was all I needed, then istarted to get my nutrition from plants and animals. But after much reading. I now do both, the supplement and the nutrition dense foods.

I’m back to 68 lbs lost Instead of 70. But I feel amazing . Not like a bull in a china shop , but like lumber jack up at dawn everyday. Still tender in the ankle, soaking daily in epson salt.

My boat is clean inside and out. Iwait to launch until lake temperatures go above the hypothermia mark, incase anyone get hit by the beam, knocked unconscious into the water. I love being on The lake, but I’ve seen surreal days turn into tragedies. I can wait , my favorite part is seeing everyone so happy.

I’m disappointed no one from the other boat has called. I like them to have it ready . So I can teach any new comers the drills without having to do the chores. My way is that chance favors those prepared.
    Our lake sposors three sailing events , but rarely wins them, or travels to rival sailing clubs and wins there.
    I’m just trying to do my part to blow in the competitive spirit.
    I did make a new lifting buddy. He’s telling me I’m got it all wrong about the fasting? Is knowledgeable about a lot of it. But doesn’t see fasting as a tool for longevity. He’s just not up to speed on the whole view. I guess I’m the same same way. When I see someone struggling , I want to help too. To be honest as a lifter , I struggle. But I’m not ever going for competition. I’m just chuffed though at much improved I feel.
    Were having fun at work in the break room and someone , a truck loader , called me an old man . I said.
    Junior , I could bench you! Everyone busted out laughing. I walked over , picked up by the crotch and his armpit and pressed him over my head 5 timesand gently put him back on his feet. I’m chuffed about this WOL.

Hi SAMM. Enjoy your time on the lake! I envy you a bit – I used to do a lot of sailing and racing (that old type A competitive personality again), but when my marriage broke up the boat went with my EX and our crew that had been racing together for years also broke up, alas. I will just live vicariously through your posts! Fun story of your new form of weight to press!

Oh Samm…such a showoff! I’ll bet the young bloke won’t refer to age again though πŸ˜‰

Congratulations on the call back DJ. You must have impressed them. πŸ™‚ I found the only way to avoid emotional eating was to do something really physical. Another one, if I’m cross with someone it now reinforces my resolve as I don’t want my anger to cause me to gain weight. I’ve put far to much effort into it.
    Keep strong. Purple

SAMM – I am shocked and I am such a lazy bum when I read how active many of you are.
    O fasted Monday and couldn’t sleep and tomorrow and Friday it’s my Birthday so getting back on track Monday.
    I am sorry but still getting familiar with everyone names and place of orign.
    The Cyber Party – music, drinks and lots of dancing would be nice.
    Xoxo

SAMM- I like all your advice about weight training, I want to be strong. Will I get results with 15 minutes per day? How about if I do 15 minutes of squats each day?
    Made it through my 5th fasting day with very little salt and lots of water.

Sarah.
    I just take the doable approach. At first I just wanted to do the doable , by completing HIIT 3 times a week. Like in the video eat,fast,live longer.

As the weight started coming off, and I increased my vo2max. I started going back to the gym. Very gradually adding enough execise to help to get to th 2lb a week formula. Im grateful for the help I get at the gym. I’m by no means qualified to give advice.

It’s just that fasting and strength training are sort of opposite. However I try to do both anyway, not to build muscle , but maintain it. It’s my understanding that all the leg work does help me to use the muscle like shock absorbers . So I’m less likely to become injured. Less likely to stop exercising .

Unless it’s anaerobic exercise. All the lifting counts toward calories in calories out. And when it come to adding up the calories from lifting . Compound movements hands down adds up calorie burn fast.

So I skip rope, lift weight , and walk.
    I don’t smoke , drink alcohol seldomly, no tobacco, avoid smoke of all sorts.
    I fast and eat only healthy foods. And count the calories . I try not to eat less than 8400 cals week.

Thanks for posting the ANDI list SAMM, I just wish I could find kale here in Spain, I have looked in the local markets and supermarkets, I just can’t find it. Never mind, plenty of spinach, savoy cabbage etc. instead.

I had a very successful liquids only fast yesterday. I didn’t feel hungry at all. I feel hungrier on normal eating days than on fast days. It’s as if my brain thinks “it’s no use sending hunger pangs, she won’t eat anyway” This WOL really works. Love it!

Happy fasting everyone!

Good morning Fast Trackers,
    Had an early night last night after my Indian meal out, at book club. My friends really did not, on the whole, enjoy my choice of book, only two read the entire book. They all however said I looked amazing and very slim in my skinny black size 14 jeans(just showing off again). 30 years since I wore size 14 jeans.

My back is still playing up today so I will keep moving but nothing strenuous. When I think about it I have over the years frequently injured my back in Yoga, I have a lower back weakness, extra curvature. It is usually sorted within a few days. We did do a lot of back bends and crab holding positions.. The way I see it I need to strengthen this area and yoga helps me to do this. Unfortunately sometimes it causes strains. On the other hand I find that Yoga keeps me flexible and strong, what can you do? Maybe I should buy a back support? Now there is an idea, anyone use one?

Fasting today and taking pain killers so staying off the scales, I know I go up as much as 3 lbs when using pain killers or anti-histamine, suspect it increases water retention temporarily. So annoying really because I was in a good place, mentally and emotionally, very controlled at the moment. I will need to be patient, not a virtue of mine and I know there are plenty of us feel this way.

A friend at choir yesterday, knowing about my injury said ‘you should be like me, eat what I like and never do exercise’ Her face is very pale and tired looking and she is at least 2 stone overweight, obviously doesn’t see this herself. Although I am still three stone overweight myself I look fresh as a daisy, colour in my cheeks(not makeup)and usually have a bounce in my step. I think I am doing OK on the whole just need to keep plugging away at the weight loss.

I need to drag myself out of bed for the dog walk, it’s agony up hills and clearing up their poo is a challenge. But what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Off to choir later then a bit of retail therapy, possibly shopping for a back support. Gosh how exciting, hope they come in black lace. Ha ha!

Have a great day Fasting Friends.
    Weemam – you are still my heroine 51 pounds in 8 months – brilliant

Morning/evening all.

I don’t like Marmite, it has to be Vegemite.

Cold, wet and grey and I have a sore neck, which is a combination of the need for new pillows and Pilates, so no Zumba for me today. Will I ever get to do the class…………… πŸ™

I’m having a haircut this afternoon, so that’ll be a bit uncomfortable, but my fringe is in my eyes so I’m not cancelling.

Wee, you are doing so well, and you can’t have much more to lose. How exciting πŸ˜›

Jojo, don’t buy a back support, concentrate on your posture, how you sit, lay, stand and walk. When my back was bad I started thinking about mine and changed the way I sit on the sofa when relaxing, and it has made a huge difference.
    Back muscles are dfficult to target when trying to strengthen, but your Yoga and Pilates are perfect for doing so. Maybe you could ask your Yoga teacher to keep an eye on you to see if maybe you are not doing something as well as you could, that might be making things worse rather than better.

Good luck Thursday fasters.

You are obviously part Aussie,Amazon. Vegemite or nothing πŸ˜‰
    Half hearted fast day over. Off to bed early, with guests arriving tomorrow.
    Keep well all. P πŸ™‚

Amazon I agree with you Vegemite all the way πŸ˜€ oh and maybe a bit of cheese on top πŸ˜€

Wee I hope you’re getting some sunshine up there now, such a long winter for you all and it’s a pity our summer wasn’t as long (very cold here today/tonight/last night brrrrrrrrr) although we’re due to have some warm weather again next week.

Today I had 2 eggs and one slice of bread with a little bit of butter and a slice of cheese for my FD meal … waited until it had been 26 hours since last meal (not by choice exactly but I waited until I was truly hungry, not thirsty, before making it ready … I started with the two eggs but found I was still very hungry afterwards (even though I had a drink of water after) so then I had the slice of bread etc and now I feel really full πŸ˜† perhaps just a smidgen overfull.

Will post any losses/gains in the morning after my weigh & measure.

I’ve never liked Marmite as I find it a little too bitter for my taste, and and Aussie friend gave me Vegemite to try. That was over 30 years ago, and I’m still eating it.
    On the rare occasions that I eat grilled cheese on toast I put Vegemite between bread and cheese, so good.
    It’s a FD and I’m not eating bread for Lent so I must stop torturing myself and think about something else!

Good Morning/Evening all. Now that I have time to absorb all the posts, a couple of comments.

CW, I also have a history of water retention – my weight could fluctuate up to 4 lbs from one day to the next. I had cut salt out of my diet years ago (except for what is in processed food – I am happy that companies are now producing more and more no added salt produscts) but still had the same issues with bloating and weight fluctuation. Now that I have pretty well eliminated all bread, pasta and rice from my diet I am finding that my water retention issues are almost gone.

Amazon your Zumba saga makes me laugh. Last July I bought a pass for 30 classes at the local dance/excercise studio, which has never been used. Maybe we can motivate each other to actually go. I am in awe of all the activity that is posted here, and it has made me resolve to get moving. Zumba would certainly do that.

Jojo I also have back issues which date back many years ago to when I caught a morbidly obese patient who had passed out and was probably heading for a severe concussion. I mainly manage it by paying attention to my posture, as someone else has suggested, but I do have a small lumbar support that I use at work. For me, it seems to help.

Broke my resolve and got on the scales today. I haven’t lost anything but at least I haven’t gained either. FD today, should be easy as I am pretty anxious about my callback and wouldn’t have been able to eat anything anyway, IF or no IF,

Have a great day all.

DJ, I joined a gym for an all-inclusive fee at the start of the year and I am doing 90-120 minutes cardio and resistance work three times per week, Pilates once a week and swimming several times a week. I also do a fair amount of walking in the fresh air. The Zumba is something I want to try, and I’ve not missed it through lack of motivation.
    I am alrady getting my moneys worth πŸ™‚

Another FD nearly over. Once I get to this time of day, I know that I’ll be fine.I went out window shopping and tried a few things on, including a really nice pair of hot pink summer trousers in a size 12. Not quite there yet but it won’t be long if I stick with it πŸ˜›
    I got caught in the rain twice but fortunately it had dried up and the sun was shining by the time I came out of the hairdressers.
    Friday tomorrow, where did the week go?

Hello All,
    Really missed the exercise today. Apart from a dog walk, choir rehearsal and a quick shopping trip I have been couch bound. Very dull but comfortable. Hope I can get to classes tomorrow. I decided against the back support for now but I will have a chat with my yoga instructor next week, limit the back bends.

Out to dinner for the next three days so fasting for remainder of those. I will focus on fish and veg.

The truth about calories is on tonight, I will miss it but pick it up later. Please ensure you don’t miss it if you are home. Could be enlightening. I would love them to come up with some new insights.

Time for me to get ready.
    Chat tomorrow Fasters, be good! Be strong!

Viewing 50 posts - 8,301 through 8,350 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.