Little Voices January 2016 Accountability

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Little Voices January 2016 Accountability

This topic contains 339 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  SDS 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 340 total)

• Cheers Chipmunk, my brain wasn’t functioning, sick kids in our house meant only two hours continuous sleep. I admire you’re determination waiting till the end of the month, I might do that next month with it being a slightly shorter month 😉

I can happily report a loss of 3 lbs this week, I am thrilled just had to do my happy dance on the scales. Less than two weeks to my birthday, the dress I plan on wearing for my night out fits but I’m going to have it sit better by then. As Freddie Mercury said “Don’t Stop Me Now, I’m Having Such A Good Time”

This morning I have wet muddy country roads and one blanket grey cloud, a far cry from the reports above. I dream about those warmer regions, I have this year’s holiday booked, we’re off to Italy so may the weight decrease and the funds increase. I had a stall at a car boot sale yesterday earning a few extra euros. I reckon I lost a pound yesterday just moving about trying to keep warm it was 2° outside.

Good luck everyone, looking forward to your updates

Hi everyone, did my three fasts for the first week, and managed three good tde days with a loss of 1 kg off the three gained over the three weeks holidays. Only two more to go. The recipe for the protein bars is from thegraciouskitchen.com Cinnamon and chocolate chip protein bars.

Hi Coda, Reporting first week’s results – 2 fasts completed, 4 good NFDs, 1 NFD over TDEE and 1 pound of the 3 pounds I put on over Xmas gone (can’t resist weighing-in!) On fast number 3 today – first of 3 for this week. I am finding fast days more difficult after the Xmas excesses – fingers crossed should find them easier if I stick to within TDEE on NFDs.

Fast day 3 of 9 Checkin:

All the excellent advice people are sharing is definitely sinking in, looking forward to today – a little chicken breast a some veg tonight for dinner. Drank my last soda 3 days ago.

Rowing today, and doing some weight training.

Bill.

Reports seem very positive for the first week – well done all who completed both their fast days and put in such effort in staying within TDEE on NFD’s – I had intended to keep track of everyone’s fast days week by week but very busy again in work and I think I will leave that to you guys. We all know if we have or have not completed the fast days we committed to each week. So just keep doing a week at a time – if you didn’t quite manage one of your fast days try and squeeze in another somewhere so at the end of the month you complete all you committed to. If you wish I will list names and total fast days toward the end of the month as to what your commitment was (not that you will need reminding mind you). Then you can report in with your results ie fast days completed ? – weight lost ?

So for the week ahead – front up – take responsibility and no excuses! Sometimes we need to stop being afraid of what could go wrong and think of what could go right. Don’t loose sight of that visualisation of what you will feel like when you achieve your next interim goal – should that be a specific weight or getting into a pair of trousers that didn’t fit before. Each of you can so do this so make sure you make at least one definitive move towards your goal – your only limit is you!

Morning all from NZ, a bit gloomy here today however I have to put in a few contract hours of work today so looking out at cloudy skys isn’t too difficult after such a great day yesterday, shot 87 at golf, walked 17,800 steps, keep well within my TDEE for the day and straight into a FD today so planning all in place.

RIANA: Just read yesterdays post from you, very open and honest. If your Planning skills are strong then start your weekly/monthly Fast Day Calendar, it will help you focus on those days that you set aside for fasting. Also set a really strong goal for each month with a meaningful reward that will drive you to succeed for the month. Break down your long term goals into weekly/monthly small goals so you are always in touch with your progress, I’m picking you need to assess your situation and progress one day at a time to stay on top of the temptations that come along during your day to day life style. Once you get a very strong reason, or the WHY you want to achieve your goals then the means to achieve them, or the HOW will become easier. It’s the old story about “how do you eat an elephant” and the answer is “one very small piece at a time”. All those small pieces add up after a few weeks and once you see your progress this then is the incentive for not going backwards after all that hard work. It’s also great to have someone from SA on board in our group, coming from George you must be a rugby fan too, do you still host the annual Sevens tournament at George each year?

And just to finish this sad day in rock history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGQo6zpVzt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM0Pl80Zf00

Bowie and Gilmour in one of the classic duos, such a shame it won’t happen again

RIP DB

Hi, Just back from the pool on my 5th FD and checking in. Plenty of good results and thanks for the encouragement to all, Coda!

Nirvana, I got a good chuckle out of your story. I don’t think you looked like the crazy one running in the car’s headlights, but the guy behind the wheel?! Well, if someone didn’t realize that was your DH…! When is Episode 2?!

Rommy, thanks for the recipe tip. The cinnamon choice-chip bars sound tasty as well as quick and easy to make. I look forward to trying them.

Coda, I second Nirvana’s preference for counting fast days. It is something I can control. Scales are a bit fickle. Come in from a hard sunny workout, step on the scale and get one number. Drink up replenishing water, immediately step on the scale again and get a different number. Too many variables. It makes sense to count the things that are directly my choice – fast days, calories, workouts – with the confidence that they will eventually be reflected in weight, overall health, energy level, and endurance. Just my 2 bits.

ps re the homemade protein bars, I found that 1 tbs cinnamon was too much and took it down to 2 tsps, hope this helps. Yes, its a shame that David Bowie died, his was a great talent, but he did live a long life, considering his earlier excessives. Its sad when stars you grew up with kick the proverbial, makes you realise time is getting short and to make the most of every day.

I weighed this morning and stayed the same.
    Not lost a single thing. Gutted
    Successful day today. Fd and gym

Anyone else not had weight loss the first week?

Hi Mrs:

Yup. This will show you what can happen: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/

Good Luck!

Hi Mrs. P you should take all your measurements today and then measure weekly from now on. Back in late November/early December, according to my scales, I had not lost any weight. However my clothes were looser and I had to go to another hole on my belt. My friends kept telling me how much slimmer I looked so I measured and the tape showed that I had lost inches! So, the moral of this post is – don’t rely on the scales as they don’t tell the whole story. Don’t despair just give it time and you will see results. Good luck 😊

Morning all hope everyone is well. I started back last Tuesday and at my weigh in today I am showing a 1.5lbs reduction – long may it last! I have 3 weekends away and 2 birthdays coming up over the next couple of months so need to keep focused. Only 7 fasts and 3.5lbs to go to achieve my accountability for January 😀

Yesterday was my 2nd fast of the month, could not resist stepping on the scales.
    A very nice result of a loss of 5lb, so just 2lb to see off the Christmas gain.
    I’ve 5 fasts for the January challenge left and wanted to have lost maybe another 5lb. Motivation for me is seeing my clothes getting too big…….Did I mention I love shopping, but will wait till I have dropped another dress size

Just a quick one – for those getting results good work, for those slightly disappointed don’t worry – your commitment was to fast days for the month of January. I am sure once the end of the month comes and you have completed your commitment you will see a result – just keep going to the end and if you can do what Chipmunk is doing don’t weigh again till the end of the challenge. This way you don’t loose the focus on fast days and get derailed by a number on the scale. As others have said it may show in other places rather than the scale. Think do you want to take up less room or weigh less?

Thanks Simcoe (person of mystery)lol

I know that January has already started, but I was wondering if I can join. Today is my first fast day.

Hi SkinnyM – Welcome – I see you have some info on your profile – good start lol! I make that 6 fast days till the end of the month.

I read some of the info in the link you provided Simcoeluv and found it interesting – thank you. It again emphasis don’t let the number on the scale deter you from continuing with this WOE. While some lucky people loose constantly every week, some don’t have any ‘scale’ results for what seems a long time. What they shouldn’t do is give up as you may find your body suddenly lets go. We just have to keep the faith, concentrate on fast days and it will all fall into place. Also found out you are a MAN of mystery lol!!

Everyone – keep reminding yourself why you’re doing what you’re doing!

Hi folks,
    I have a “stretch goal” fast day tomorrow, following by my usual Thursday fast day, does anyone see a problem with having 2 fast days back to back. I’ll definitely be glad to get this over with 😉

As a newbie, I’m not jumping on the scales until the end of the month, I get the feeling reading some of the postings on the forum, that it can be a roller coaster of emotions.

Incidentally, my wife came home rather late last night, she found me reading a book on the couch with a woolly hat on my head, and blanket wrapped around me, the look on her face was priceless. I told her I was cold because of the fast day, even though the house temperature was 22 C. She’s going to do a fast day on Thursday, so that will help me a lot.

Bill.

Grrrr! Struggled with FD yesterday, along with headache, but still managed to stay at 500 cals. Scales today show increase of 3/4lb. Like you UPA I’m struggling after the Christmas excesses, especially with sweet stuff! It’s like a switch has been put on and I can’t get it off just now. My resolve has disappeared and I seem to have lost my mojo! I know what I have to do, I just have to do it! I religiously fast for two days a week, and I am staying within my TDEE, but a lot of it is sugar, then I adjust my meals around it. Silly me. I am so close to target. I do weigh myself every morning first thing, which normally helps me restrain myself , but I guess I just have to find my willpower again.
    Well done to you all who are doing well, I am determined to join you again shortly. The support on this thread is tremendous.
    Rain has stopped, grey skies, minus 3 overnight. Fields are waterlogged and roads will be a challenge tomorrow. Oh for some warm weather. TTL

Good evening all from a very soggy Edinburgh. It’s been not too cold a winter here so far – have only counted 2 frosty days and no snow as yet, perhaps had a bit more rain of late but not nearly as much as our neighbours in the north of Scotland who have experienced terrible floods.

Great to read all the recent posts and welcome to all newcomers! Action, great to have you back and in great form – but just one little caveat – the cry on the golf course is “fore” and not the number “four” as you have related! (I assume autocorrect took over?) Good!, put that to bed … Onwards …

Today I celebrate my first anniversary of this new way of life and have been looking back on an interesting year of reaching – and exceeding my overall goal. Given Simcoeluv’s earlier reference and Coda’s follow-on comments, thought some of you might be interested in hearing a little of my year-long journey to skinny (as Action puts it) so here goes:-

I started on 12 January 2015 at 148 pounds which for my height and small frame made me about 20 pounds overweight. My first goal was to lose 15 pounds by my holiday in Egypt on 6 April – this gave me a time-frame of 12 weeks so I knew it was doable as the expected weight loss, if keeping to the programme, is 1 pound a week, plus in the first few weeks can expect to lose 2 pounds a week. By my holiday I was 1 pound short of goal at 14 pounds (a whole stone!) After a fabulous Nile cruise consuming 3 meals every day I gained back 6 of those 14 pounds. However went straight back on track as I had another goal – to lose the gained 6 plus some before my next holiday in Spain in four weeks time. Result: I set off for my Spanish ‘boot camp’ golf school holiday having lost 7 pounds. This was an intensely active holiday and, despite eating three full meals each day and liberal amounts of wine, I actually lost one pound! So, by mid May I weighed 132 pounds – just 6 pounds short of my end goal of 126 pounds (9 stone). I had set up and was leading the Little Voices May Challenge and was spurred on to lead by example so, set the date for this final goal for my birthday on 30 July – all of 11 weeks away – easy-peasy I thought. Turned out not so easy as I hadn’t factored in my ever decreasing TDEE and the multitude of summer social events and numerous long weekend breaks! My tracker graph went up and down like a yo-yo and then straightlined (the dreaded plateau). I do admit to a bit of despairing from time to time, but with the force of Little Voices behind me I stuck to it … and by my birthday I weighed 125 pounds (into the magical eights!) – I had not only achieved my goal but exceeded it! Next thing was to assess where I wanted to go from there – I was now comfortably wearing size 10/12 clothes but my “waist to height ratio” was still above the recommended 50% at 51%,
    and my weight was on the upper end of the recommendation for my height and frame (110 pounds to 130 pounds). I reckoned 110 pounds much too light for my age so decided to aim for the halfway point of 120 pounds as my ultimate goal and planned to achieve it by Christmas and “be in maintenance by New Year.” Well! … here we are at New Year and with yo-yoing and plateauing from August to December and a Christmas festivities 3 pounds gain, I am exactly where I was on my birthday 5 months ago!! Do I feel gutted? … No!!! I feel great!!!! Yes, I am still 5 pounds away from my recalibrated goal of 120 pounds but I am happy to have reached (and maintained) my initial goal of 9 stone – have even reached 122 pounds on a couple of yo-yo ocassions! I have already lost 1 pound with getting back into fasting this past week. I happily open my photo album and see a slim younger looking woman at my 65th birthday, at a summer family wedding, at golf prizegiving and at numerous Xmas parties. I am happy with my body and in a place I have not been for many, many years. I have learned a lot over the past year and now make sensible choices on food intake, do not fret if I go up a couple of pounds (it will be water weight), if I default on a FD I know I can make amends the next day. Most importantly I feel I have given my body the best chance to see me through my senior years!!!

I hope this is helpful and reassuring to newbies and those of you who are experiencing the frustrations of ‘being good, yet no weight loss’. You have to be patient on this regime !! My mantra is “This is not a race – it is a way of life”.

Love to all my Little Voices and best wishes for a great (slimline) 2016. xx Up

I’m quite happy with my progress today, I blew it at breakfast, but recovered at lunch and dinner with super healthy choices.
    Whilst washing the dishes I found myself singing “Feeling Good” by Nina Simone. This WOL must be kicking in, anyone got any other songs that sum up how they feel? Ha I might song them too, as long as I’m singing I’m not eating 😂

Hi Nirvana, here’s one for you to ponder, it doesn’t now reflect our WOL but sort of reminds us all what it was like before 5:2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8I7UvvFz0

Hope it makes you smile 🙂 🙂

Thank you Up for your inspiring post and insight on your year of 5:2. I think we all should engrave ‘This is not a race but a way of life’ somewhere and read it everyday. I think only then can we learn the lessons in getting and keeping a slimmer and healthy body. Thank you, you are an inspiration. x

UpaGumtree what a great read, we have similar starting weights and end goals. Yesterday I weighed 151 pounds and my goal is to get to 122 pounds, the middle of my healthy weight range. It’s great to read a story like yours that I can relate to. The way we reach that goal will vary but the result will be the same, thank you for giving us such a good account of your experience so far.

Action I don’t know where you get them from, that made both hubby and I smile 👏 and I have a song for you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you…. I hope you have a good one 🎂

BillyB maybe if you include low calorie cup of soup or hot water and lemon juice in your fast day they might warm you up. Both options work for me, I don’t drink tea or coffee so I drink both of these a lot in the winter.

Good Wednesday morning all –

BILLYB – back to back fast days are no problem – lots of people do it and I am doing it today and tomorrow, after a busy five days of guests, wining and dining.

UPAGUM very inspiring, thank you.

CODA, how do you know SIMCO is a MAN of mystery??? do share.

ACTION – thanks for the clip of Comfortably numb – I hadn’t seen this before and it’s my favourite Pink Floyd after WIsh You Were Here, which always nearly makes me cry! And Happy Birthday to you – 21 again is it?

Everyone who is affected by the scales STOP WEIGHING and keep to your FDs and TDEE and be happily surprised at the end of the month – that’s what I’m going for!!

Have a great week all.

Chipmunk I followed the link he gave to read re why no weight loss and in his first post week 8 he says he is a man of above average height…….
    I agree stop weighing as they are up and down for no apparent reason! Nite all x

Coda, Nirvana, Chipmunk thanks for kind comments! – glad you lasted through my experiences and took something away!!

Simcoe – you obviously love being the FD forum’s enigma !! Agree with Coda you are (in the minority on this forum) a male. I would suggest that, given your turn of phrase, you are from North America (either US or Canada). Go on, ‘fess up and provide a profile!! Else you will be banished as the “creepy uncle”!! … Which would be a shame as you have so much to give!!

… Coda, I think you should ban all LV thread participants who do not give their profiles!!!!!! LOL !!!

Hi All,

Congratulations to JFitzy, JayneLizzy and UpaGT on your successes. Those of us who are waiting to until the end of the month to weigh hope to join your ranks. TTL and MrsP don’t despair, keep focussed on the good decisions you make each day and have confidence it will come out right.

Tommy thanks for the tip about cinnamon in the protein bar recipe. I have to go get some whey powder and I’ll be ready to make those.

BillyB, it’s good to have company on a FD, and very kind of your wife to join you. Lend her your toque if she needs it!

Action, UpaGT beat me to it. I was going to razz you too, but for different reasons. It seems to me that last weekend, you were only entitled to yell Twoooo. And only after completing THIS week’s fasts could you yell Foouurrrr! 😁

Finally UpaGT, thank you so much for your lesson in persistence. At some time between now and my goal, I’m sure I’ll struggle and I have your story to re-read for encouragement. Thanks!

And if I eat on all my nFDs like I did today, that struggle is going to happen sooner than I care to think about. Tomorrow is another day. Up and away to pool first thing.

Good wishes to all the Wednesday fasters tomorrow! We’ll all get we’re going if we keep encouraging each other. ST55

Autocorrect, that’s supposed to be Rommy5163, not Tommy. ST55

Hi SweetTooth, I usually use low fat milk powder instead of whey powder, a dietician told me theres very little difference except whey powder is four times the price, it is here in Aus anyway. Rommy was the name of my georgous German Shepherd who died when he was only seven, so everytime I log in anywhere, I always think of him. I am an Aquarian and we dont like change or letting go, except for my extra kilos, they can take a hike and Ill be cheering each one along!!

Hello all

Just checking in as I’m currently on my 4th fast for Jan.

Had a good first week – Monday was hard but Wednesday wasn’t too bad. This week, Monday was alright and today is going fine so far, but I’m sure the afternoon will be a bit sticky! Already willing this day to go quickly and looking forward to sushi for dinner tonight.

I’m down 2 pounds on last week so that’s great.

Hope everyone’s having a good day x

I managed through my first fast yesterday. It felt empowering being able to get through the hunger. Fast two tomorrow.

Ah Rommy another fellow dog lover. Coda is the name of my dog too but still with us. Italian for tail and as this is our first rottweiler with tail intact hence name. We also have a little x breed called buddy. Got shortly after we got Coda (as a buddy) as our then jack Russell pip was too old at 16 to cope with a pup. She sadly is no longer with us. We had just lost a much loved rotty Mac (he was only 5) when we got Coda, it is heart breaking.
    My dad had to have his rescue dog Megan put to sleep recently as she was struggling but she was 16 approx. He is 87 and finds the house very lonely without her.
    January is getting to me and have had 4 ryvita today rather than my usual 2 but will make adjustments later. First run of the week tonight (no spotlight travelling behind me though lol) hopefully will feel recharged after that. Onwards and downwards!

Fast day 4 of 9 checkin:

Today is my Coda inspired “stretch” goal fast day – depending on how good I feel after today I might do an additional fast day next week too.

As many of you know, I’m a newbie to the 5:2 WOL, and I’ve taking some great advice from many who have shared experiences – I really appreciate that so much.

Additionally, I’ve been doing a lot of background reading on fasting, and researching the background to Dr Mosley 5:2 book – presently I will finish reading the book by Dr Krista Varady (the lady in Dr Moseleys’ BBC documentary – doing research on alternate day fasting – the basis for the 5:2) and wanted to share a counter intuitive tip from her book which i found very interesting(summarizing the highlights):

She states in Tip 1;

Weigh yourself every day:
    In her study she encouraged participants to weigh themselves every day, and to average the most recent Diet Day and Feast Day weight. The scientific studies showed, after one month of weighing, participants had 3 extra pounds of weight loss compared with participants who didn’t weigh themselves daily.

She cites a 2 year study from Marshfield Clinic, which concludes daily weighing doubles weight loss – i.e. over the 2 years participants who weighed themselves daily lost more than double the weight of people who weighed themselves monthly.

People average 347 fewer calories per day when they weighed themselves that day.

If people didn’t weigh themselves regularly, 4.5 times more weight was regained.

There is a lot more information in the book, but I wanted to share this interesting tip.

The book is called “The every other day diet” – Dr Krista Varady.

Bill.

Hi All,

Congratulations on your first fast day, SkinnyMama! That sense of empowerment will keep you going. You’re off to a great start – well done. You too, LittleDragon. Good job, and I hope your FD goes/went well today.

Rommey5163, awwww, what a lovely story. He must have been very special guy, and don’t you just love the coloring of German Shepherds?

BillyB, wow, thanks for that insight. Assuming that 2-year study was large enough for the results to be reliable, that’s good information to have. How did the participants deal with the inevitable discouragement of the scale going the wrong way? (Apparently, more effectively than those that remained blithely unaware of their weight!!) For the moment I’m going to stick with chipmunk and coda on this and avoid the scale though this could change my mind. I’m borrowing that book from the library tout de suite.

Have a good day everyone. Good luck to the down under Thursday fasters. ST55

BILLYB that really is interesting research and it is great you are getting so serious about your goals and doing the work and learning more about it all. How did your wife manage her accompanying day?

I will stick to my guns and save weighing in til the end of January and maybe try every day weighing in February and see if it makes a difference. It’s good to change it up!!

Thursday here and I’m on day 2 of back to back fast days for this week (4th fast day of the January challenge). Yesterday was easy, not sure how today will run!

Hi SweetTooth, I just checked, in the 2 year study, they had 1,200 obese people participate – definitely, statistically significant.

chipmunk, my wife will be doing her first fast day tomorrow, Thursday, she is blessed with good genes, and even better eating habits than I, but I really, appreciate her doing it. In fact, I think I have persuaded my mother-in-law to join in too.

Bill.

Billy – It makes sense because weighing yourself daily is a reminder of what your goals are and where you are in the process of getting to your goal weight. Also, any slip-up and unintentional gain is noticed right away and can be remedied.

Personally, I know that when I know I’ve been bad, I avoid the scale (ignorance is bliss!). But I should actually do the exact reverse – and use the numbers on the scale as motivation to get right back on the WOL.

Since I just got myself the fitbit, I committed all the way and got the weighing scale that automatically syncs your weight to the app everyday. It should arrive this week and I plan to weigh daily. So I really hope the results of this study will benefit me too! double the weight loss yay! lol!

First week loss was disappointing – 1 lb. Better than none, I suppose. Completed 2 fast days this week already and have one more tomorrow.

The first fast is the toughest so it is commonly said.

Good on ya. Welcome to the new pattern of eating and a whole new you.

Morning all, blue skies and sunshine with 24 degrees here in NZ this morning, life is beautiful….

Thank you all for rectifying my golfing terminology blooper, more haste and less speed sometimes bites one on the bum.

I managed to negotiate my day of birth celebrations yesterday without too much damage to the goals. Thank you for all your kind wishes on here, much appreciated. We had a very nice family birthday dinner last evening and was totally spoilt with pressies and other stuff.

My body is feeling very second hand today however as I took the plunge and signed up with a local gym and had a first session with a personal trainer to set up an effective tone up plan. I can understand now how gym members build up a “hate relationship” with their PT’s. My PT, while nice and polite, has a definite sadistic streak in her and is determined to make every muscle in my body tell me about the years of neglect I have imparted on them and that’s just after the first day. No pain no gain I suppose….

Well done everyone with maintaining your FD plans, I’m doing my 2nd for the week today and it will go well.

Take care all and thanks for the inspirations with all the different insights as to how your journey to skinny is progressing and the methods used to get there. You are all amazing people

I have to weigh myself every day for health reasons and I do note it on a spreadsheet daily.(Retaining water is not a good thing for me. At one point I had a massive buildup of water suffering severe heart failure and basically drowning on myself. Massive amounts of diuretics and nothing but ice cubes for 48 hours did the trick. I never want to go there again. I’m down to 1 low dose diuretic per day)

I don’t often tell people what I weigh or how much weight I’ve lost in the last year. I started the 5:2 pattern of eating for the health benefits which I have in spades. Sticking to the pattern is the only way to keep those benefits. The weight I’ve lost in the past year has been a bonus.

So many people are doing 5:2 for weight loss, and are missing out on all the other benefits or don’t pay attention to them. Blood sugar, insulin resistance, lower cholesterol overall but with higher HDL.I take 90% less pain medication overall. I can move with less pain from my arthritis. My COPD is under control for the first time in 15 years or more. The list is virtually endless.

There have been periods when my weight went unchanged for periods of time. 2 weeks to 6 weeks in one case. But I was putting new holes in my belt every few weeks and I have bought 2 new belts in the last year. So I know my body composition has changed. I’m wearing clothes I put in storage from 14 years ago. Though I have had to buy all new underwear as the ones I had would drop to my knees under my jeans. Made me laugh like crazy and when I didn’t say why everyone thought I was crazy.

Don’t be down if the scale doesn’t change. There are TON of good things happening inside you, staying the 5:2 does take some perseverance and it can be tricky at times but it is so worth it. I schedule breaks from the pattern intentionally – holidays, christmas, easter, or just because this week I want ice cream every day with chocolate sauce and sprinkles. I’ll get right back on 5:2 when I’m done my personal break time. Gaining 6lbs over a 3 week holiday doesn’t bother me. Just get back on the pattern.

At the same time I don’t have a problem going out to dinner at a restaurant with family or friends on a fast day and having only a glass of water with a slice of lemon. (I do try to make those occasions on NFD) Anyone asks I just say it’s something I have to do today I never have to go into specifics if they push beyond that I just say it’s a “medical thing”. I don’t preach, or proselytize about 5:2. If someone asks I tell them to google 5:2 diet and intermittent fasting.

To all those keeping up with your goals good on ya. For those that might have missed a goal by a bit (or a lot) all you have to do is follow the pattern. Get back on and keep on going. It’s not a diet so you can’t fail. It’s just a new pattern of eating that takes practice and time. You will love the new you a year down the road and a year after that and ….. well you get the picture

Hi – those of you that have done water only fasts – how did you get on in the first few? I wanted to try one to see how I got on. I’m also getting a bit complacent and if not mindful, in danger of turning things into just another calorie controlled diet. I like the idea of the fasting health benefits. Maybe water only is just too soon for me as I still have a lot to lose but did it Monday and felt really unwell by early evening so gave up. Overcompensated but quickly felt better and although now back on track, its put me right off. Stick to what’s been working methinks…

Billyb well done for putting in that extra day and for being inspired again maybe for next week. Very well done for pushing for that little bit more.

I remember reading about daily weighing and how it makes you realise how much your weight can fluctuate. You could weigh one day and be down hearted, do nothing different and yet have a loss the next day. You take a weekly average and you should if you stick to the plan see a downward trend. But I think I will just avoid it for a while and as long as I stick to my fds and healthy nfds I should be feeling a difference.
    Well done everyone a truly inspiring bunch of people!

Water fasting only isn’t difficult on 5:2 or dangerous if you are otherwise healthy. I don’t recommend water only fasting before having adhered strictly to 5:2 for a minimum of two months.

Get your body used to the 5:2 pattern of eating and make the pattern a habit before you start tinkering with it. I don’t recommend water fasting for longer than 36 hours (normal 5:2 time line) without talking with your Dr. There are dangers with extended fasting beyond 3 days and for some people it can be less. I do one 5 day water fast per month but I slowly worked up to that over 6-7 months and I had my Dr as an observer daily for these as I progressed.

I don’t recommend water only fasting before having adhered strictly to 5:2 for a minimum of two months. Get your body used to the 5:2 pattern of eating and make the pattern a habit before you start tinkering with it.

The first few are difficult mainly mentally. There are all sorts of “reasons” that your mind will come up with for breaking the fast. “I’m so hungry I’m going to die” to “I have a full carton of Ben & Jerry’s Chunky Monkey that might go bad if I don’t eat it NOW.” Persevere mental hunger doesn’t last long and passes.

The physical symptoms of a normal 5:2 water only fast are really not a lot different than a normal 5:2 fast. You may feel colder than normal. As your body is not producing heat through digestion at all, all digestion stops at some point close to 12 hours without food. You may have the rumble tummy but this is normal and isn’t hunger, “true hunger” doesn’t set in until doing fasts beyond 2 days. Day 3 usually. The mental hunger is something different.

You may think on food more than normal. So you can have it after your fast is over tell yourself that and get on with it.

If you are feeling unwell and don’t have underlying health conditions it most likely is due to not enough water during the fast. At least 2 litres a day and I probably have more than 3 litres. Your urine should be clear and you should be going frequently, if your urine is in any way dark you need more water.

Another cause is excess stomach acid, as your system is used to pumping in acids at certain times of the day if you eat regularly scheduled meals. This will pass if severe and if it continues, consider having a light broth of less than 80 Calories and very low in salt. Ie A cup of reduced Sodium Campbell’s broth has about 25 calories.

You may get headachy. This may be due to dehydration or if you are a coffee/tea drinker it may be having no caffeine. If two regular aspirin don’t reduce the headache I would recommend breaking the fast and consulting a Dr. before going forward, there may be some other condition at work.

I don’t recommend pain relievers other than aspirin as some can be very hard on the kidneys and liver especially if you are in a dehydrated state. Aspirin will help thin your blood and may help regulate your body temp (there is no proof of this only anecdotal reports)

Many find water only fasts on 5:2 easier than trying to limit calories to 400-600 during the day. Me for sure. It’s far easier to have no food than a miserly amount and it’s a lot easier to make. Open tap fill water bottle.

It’s not for everyone. Do what works for you. Make the 5:2 pattern your own. When it’s a natural habit to you then you are the new you. Good luck and keep on keeping on.

I am a wind bag aren’t I. Takes me forever to say a little bit

Hi QUIET ONE, thank you for sharing your personal story, makes me feel quite humble and my problems & challenges seem a little insignificant after reading about your journey. One thing loud and clear you promote is the total impact of 5:2 lifestyle. My BP has improved and is now nicely under control, no more food reactions such as indigestion after eating, my skin condition has improved (psoriasis cleared up) and I have a 6 monthly doctors check next week which I’m expecting more good reports from together with improved blood test results. So as you say QUIET ONE it’s not just about weight reductions (as we all know but always need reminding) it’s about all the total benefits from controlled food intake in moderation.

LISA57: You sound a little despondent, can I suggest reviewing your immediate short term goals (4 to 6 week goals) that will move you closer to the long term result. Also what personal rewards do you grant yourself each month when you hit a target? These little things are most important to keep us motivated every day/week and helps with any confusion that creeps in and starts that little voice in our head telling us our life style is too hard to maintain.

Thanks everyone for your inspirations and insights. This Forum is amazing for its daily encouragement, so never hesitate posting your thoughts, there is always someone who will click with something you pass on and it could well be the difference between a bad day and one that makes a difference in their lives. Thank you all. I’m off to my gym now to visit the PT from hell…. Cheers Mike

Hi all
    Thank you for sharing your stories and comments, I’m finding this forum really helpful

Rommy; Coda- another dog lover here. I too have kept German Shepherds for years. We lost our latest last year due to brain tumour and due to work pattern changes, decided not to get another dog at the moment. I still miss them and they are wonderful.
    Sweettooth55 and Rommy5163: haven’t tried the protein bars myself but passed to a friend who’s says to give you a huge thanks as she was able to adapt the milk powder and ingredients to make for her young daughter who has allergies and its now added a lovely treat to her quite restricted diet
    Quiet one: thanks for sharing- inspiring and informative,h lots of tips taken
    Action: just uplifting and loving the upbeat tone. Sorry if I sounded despondent, just hitting a blip and remain determined – really- I know I can do this. I’ve done this so many times – lose a decent amount, feel better then somehow self sabotage or get lax and its all slips back on plus some. It is different this time – that’s why I’ve been tinkering to remain mindful but will keep it simple for a while.
    In short ( and know this post has been anything but) – thank you everyone. The thread is definitely apt and keeping me accountable.

Fast day 5 of 9 Checkin:

“Stretch” goal fast day yesterday – went ok, but had a distinct headache throughout the day. I’m weening myself off hidden refined sugars, and I think my body is readjusting to this new WOL. Drinking plenty of water to minimize the effect of headache.

What are people’s thoughts on these Water flavoring products such as Mio? Seem to add a flavor with zero calories?

Quiteone Your posts are a superb, thanks for sharing your experiences with the 5:2, I’ll be trying a water only fast in a few months, after the normal 5:2 becomes second nature to me.

Bill.

Some artificial sweeteners such as @Splenda (and there are others), will cause the same insulin reaction as if you use sugar. Not a good thing for many of us.

I use fresh or dried stevia and make my own extract or put the dried ground stevia in a tea ball to add sweetness. The commercial stevia I get in stores has been so processed that there is no telling what it actually is or what it does to the body. Tests with natural Stevia leafs do not show an insulin reaction.

A wedge of lemon in a glass of water is better for you though there are calories involved. 2 per wedge (1/8 of lemon)

Four FDs completed so far and I’m on track to complete the 10 I pledged for the month. B2b fasting Wednesday and Thursday wasn’t too bad. Tempted to weigh myself today, but am holding off.

Way to go chipmunk staying on track can be difficult after splurging during holidays. Congrats and keep on going.

I truly wish I could go a few weeks without weighing myself but due to the health thing I have to weigh daily, I’d like to not weigh myself for a month and be pleasantly surprised at the end of a month. Though it’s shown people who weigh daily while “dieting” tend to lose more weight. 5:2 isn’t a diet it’s a pattern of eating, I truly wish Dr. Mosley hadn’t called the book The Fast Diet.

Just the word diet makes me feel anxious as every diet I tried, and I tried lots, eventually failed and I always gained back more than I lost which was totally disheartening.

Diets don’t work! Changing my eating pattern to 5:2 is working and will continue as long as I continue doing my part. Plus I get to lose weight and I can have Chunky Monkey ice cream if I want. (and I do want it frequently)

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 340 total)

You must be logged in to reply.