Little Voices – August Challenge! Countdown begins!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Little Voices – August Challenge! Countdown begins!

This topic contains 323 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by  choiminzi 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 324 total)

• Hey Action Hero- Kia Ora! Hi to everyone else too! Wouldn’t usually be online at this time but the flu virus has got to me so my first fast day is also a sick day! The good thing is I don’t feel like eating but am needing to keep the liquids up, so herbal tea and water have been my start to the day. Thanks for all the conversation re carbs, food for thought! I’m confident the Kiwis are up for the challenge- watch out!

Ok Action Hero, the reward was meant to be one chocolate fish, not a whole bloody ocean of them!!!
    Hope you enjoyed it…..TTL

Do I detect a little bit of envy TTL….. well you know how to fix that my dear….

Actually, I only had ONE, it was the biggest, fattest, most chocolately, chewy, most delicious chocolate fish eaten last month, we have a supply of them in the freezer for the grand kids so they are a constant temptation because I know they are there, however I have my sticker on the Freezer door that reminds me they aren’t really there at all….

Kia Ora to you too Slim2be, hope you are feeling better, very wet and cold here in Wellington today, where abouts are you in NZ?

Count me in to stuff the muffin… Have 10 pounds to lose and am a small person. Should I go for 3-4 pounds until the end of August or what do you think? Have been ‘tinkering’ with 4:3 but am sure overdid on the feast days TDEE 1300… so I just maintained my weight. Need for someone to kick my butt!

Hey Action Hero, I’m in Christchurch, beautiful day 18 degrees. Shouldn’t have looked at the chocolate fish though! Just had a nice omelette and more drugs so off for a sleep.

Do we use this same topic thread during the whole month of August? Thanks! Looking forward to continue fasting, losing weight and making it a way of life! 🙂

Hi Sunny, I am a small person too, only 5ft. In July I set my goal for 3 lbs, but managed to lose 7 lbs, which I think was achieved by only eating in a 16/8 window. First time I tried this, but what I found was I naturally ate a lot less at lunch and dinner, as it didnt take much food to satisfy my hunger. Very strange because I would normally clear my plate. Anyway, it worked for me, so maybe it could help you if you give it a try. Good luck this month whatever you do. Ray

Thank you Ray. I’ll keep this in mind.

Sign me up for August, I start at 139lbs, 4 lbs donated to Lardy Lad in July, so I’ll try another 4 lbs in August.
    Sunny, it is hard when you’re small and not much to loose, but I’ve seen plenty of little ladies here get smaller using this WOL. I find the hardest thing is sticking to my TDEE! The fasting days I find easy.
    It’s a gloomy Monday morning here in South Georgia,hot and sultry, but these comments cheer me up. Thanks guys!!

Hi all! Put me down for 3lb this month. I am not far from goal weight and still getting back into the swing of fasting so going to be realistic and hope I actually FINALLY reach a goal!

Hi All I knew my scale was wrong!!! Did my official weekly weigh in at the gym this morning and I am 127.5 lbs. To get to goal I only need to lose 2.5 lbs, wow. Considering how difficult the last few lbs were, I am a little nervous about these final few, but I am resolved! I am trying a 4:3 week, so today is FD #1. I am doing an experiment a shifting almost all my calories to breakfast, with a small mid-afternoon snack. I find my undoing on FD is always at night – once the first bite of food goes in it is so incredibly hard to stop. If I mentally lock the fridge when I leave for work in the morning, it might do the trick. At the moment I am not worrying about eating to a window, but once I am officially on maintenance I am going to give 16:8 a go and if that works then I will try 18:6.

AH, I went out and got post-it notes on the weekend and am about to put them up in strategic places.

We need another cyber prize – my competitive streak then comes out and helps me stay more on track. Any suggestions anyone?

Brilliant idea DJ – as a psychology student I can vouch for how effective some positive reinforcement can be!!

Hello, folks from everywhere! Hope all is well in your world today!

Adding in the recent fasters to our list will bring Miss Muffin Top to a whopping 89.1 lbs! Can we do it?! Check, yes, with those big winners from last month throwing out the challenge, and the thoughts of chocolate fish at the end, it’s a foregone conclusion!

Fasted today, so after my 16 hour fast, I had 3 pickles and 2 deviled eggs, then tuna salad (1/2 cup) and a piece of meatloaf. That’s it for today, and may take it into tomorrow.

Understand the carb concerns, and yep, to each his or her own. I eat a salad about once a week, and occasionally some fruit but it is rare. You would be shocked at how much weight it packs on me. I followed a Zone diet for years and barely lost 5 lbs! And that was doing an hour or more of killer cardio every day! No wonder my calendar had a big red “WTF!” across it before I started fasting and quit carbs.

Regardless, everybody has to find what works for them, and what is healthy for them. I am trying to break 3 generations of diabetes, heart disease, and high cholesterol. There is no cancer in my family. If there was, I would be more concerned with fiber.

So good evening to you all, and fast well!

Hi
    First fast day. Decided to come to bed as it is the furthest distance from the fridge. X

Great strategy, JoBarnaby! 🙂

I’m on my second fast day in a row, and finding it much easier than yesterday, which was my first ever fast day. Sleeping in half the day definitely helped! Very much looking forward to some fish and veggies in a couple hours.

I don’t think I’m always going to do consecutive fast days, but it just worked out best for this week.

If it’s not too late, I’d like to join as well. My goal is very modest–2.5 pounds. That’s partly because we are going to California for a week’s vacation and I don’t know how that will go. I started 5:2 last month and that’s how much I lost. If I can lose this much again, my bmi will be below 27, which is a nice psychological perk because then I just have one more whole number to get below to be in the healthy weight range!!!

Today is my first fast day this month and it’s a little complicated b/c I got a tetanus booster that made me feel a bit woozy so I had a few blueberries and cottage cheese this afternoon. Usually I wait until supper to eat.

Over the weekend we went mountain biking so I got a lot of exercise, which ironically causes me to gain temporarily, but I am hopeful things will kick in and I’ll have a nice loss before we leave for California on Friday and I hope we’ll be so active while there I don’t lose any progress!!!

Good luck, everyone!!!!!

Hi everyone, greetings from New Zealand. It’s so good to hear from so many new people with so many great goals being listed.

DJ: Well done on the Post It notes, don’t take any notice from anyone else in the house making comments about them, actually when people see your results mention the Post Its helped achieve that result and the use of them might rub off on others. I have used them for a long time now, my family are very used to seeing my thoughts stuck up around my personal areas, I even had some laminated A4’s stuck on the wall in the Shower, I did some of my best work during my morning shower LOL

Take care everyone, keep up the great work
    Mike

Good morning all.
    Had a struggle with my FD yesterday. Verging on a headache all day, but I put that down to the weather. When the barometric pressure falls and it gets heavy air, or if it’s very windy, I get headaches – talk about sensitive. I keep saying we should move to a sunnier location!
    Persevered without breakfast, bone broth for lunch, and beef with lots of steamed Vegetables for dinner.
    Stewed red gooseberries and Greek yogurt finished off my day at exactly 500 calories, and this morning have relinquished the stubborn 3/4 I hung on to from July.. So, 3 lb to target.
    AH, I have post its of different colours all over the house – OH is wondering what is happening?!?! I just have to remember to read them all now, lol.
    Have a great day, and hope the sun is shining on you. Grey, cloudy, windy here in Dundee – again! TTL

Oh dear TTL, I hope I’m not the cause of any marital disharmony, maybe you had better write a couple for him too so he doesn’t feel left out, something like “yes Dear, you can go to the pub today” and see what happens….

However I’m very impressed how some of you guys have taken up my little Post It note suggestion, well done. I find the most effective notes to myself are always around the areas of temptation, fridge door, cupboard where I know there are toffees and chocolate for the grand kids, plus those areas where I need to not ignore, e.g. the Treadmill. I also set the alarm on my phone for every lunch time at 12:30pm, not to remind me it’s time to eat, it’s time to do an exercise session on the walker. Of course I can just turn it off and ignore it however it’s getting over the guilt of this action that I keep myself accountable for, so 9 times out of 10 I usually do my exercise.

It’s sleep time for us now down here, so keep strong and keep on posting those great stories everyone, together we can achieve greatness…

carolinacatz, it’s never too late! I will add your 2.5 to our list! That is a nice number to aim for, and very doable considering vacation.

I am at work and am striving for a 20 hour daily fast today, after yesterday’s 500 calorie fast day. I go for a pre-surgical physical tonight, and the first thing inside the office door is the scale, and they are going to freak when they see that number, so I want to wow them even more (more people to “convert”!). Last time there I was 25 lbs heavier. Would like it to be 27!

So this morning at work, for the hour I am alone, I do a quick HIIT workout, usually walk/run with a gallon jug of oil in each hand (I work at an auto parts store – lots of heavy stuff to tote around!), then I remembered a video I saw of a guy “flipping” a huge truck tire, and how great a workout he said it was. Just so happens, we have a pair of smaller tires in the back room, so I got one out and flipped it over and over across the store (God, I hope no one ever looks at the security tapes! They will commit me!) and it was a super workout! Could have been a bit heavier for me, but all the stooping over, standing up, pushing and pulling works your whole body!

So now, to make it til noon or later. Action Hero, I thought about setting my phone to remind me to NOT eat. Might try that one!

As for the Post It notes…I need a neon sign!

Hi All

Can I join this merry little band? I am a newbie and would like to loose 18.3kg in total. I would like to loose this month 2kg.
    Before I have always been in a hurry to loose weight and while the numbers were going down I could cope but as soon as I had a blip or the numbers went up I lost the plot and gave up – till the next time. I know the numbers on the scale are not a true reflection and it can go up and down depending on a lot of things but the perfectionist in me couldn’t cope with a gain. Working on that flaw and will use other methods rather than just the scale this time. So with a plan of a modest but very doable .5kg a week rather than wanting it all off tomorrow. I am looking at this method of weight loss 5:2 as a life style and hoping goals will be more effective and keep me more focused and inspired from you who have been there done it.

Hi, all,

I’m fasting today so will weigh in tomorrow but I want to respond to FitNFast before you go under the knife… argh. The torn tendons etc sound painful!

I have two bunionettes (one on each foot) that need to be shaved off, and a hammer toe caused by a Morton’s neuroma that needs to be fixed. It may involve taking a segment out of the toe: not sure yet. My problem is not only that my feet hurt, but that I can’t get them into any shoes except sandals and runners. I am worried about the lack of exercise I’ll get for a while after the surgery is done, but since I’ll probably just be on this waiting list forever, perhaps I shouldn’t worry too much.

HELP!! I quickly need someone to give me a shake…..broke my fast yesterday as I was off work with a bad cold and just felt I needed to eat, so mid afternoon I had a double decker….AND THEN….I was so disappointed with myself I started having thoughts off Slimming World (don’t want to go back there). Little Voices please tell me again how well this works…I’m back to work today and am fasting tomorrow, probably should have waited and not tried to do my first one when feeling ill.

Hi Black,

Don’t look back and beat yourself up. Remember your goal and do your next fast day as planned. What is passed is passed. Famous words from a recidivist faster hahahahaha…. So easy to say but hard to accomplish but worth it 🙂

Don’t beat yourself up! You wouldnt be that harsh to one of us, so you shouldn’t be so harsh to yourself! Chalk it as a non fast day and try again when you can. I find the best way to survive is to plan my fast days the day before when I’m well fed. I can then time out when I’m eating and think about what I can get in the house to help me (raspberries and olives for sweet or savory low low cal snacks works for me) or fun low cal drinks that I can look forward to. It will work, be nice to yourself. It’s not pass or fail. 🙂 xxx

And also, the mantra… I’ll have it tomorrow. Works for me. 🙂 xxx

Hi there! Don’t lose hope, blacksharp1. We’ve all done it.

I had an interesting experience yesterday, my first fast day this month. I weighed mid afternoon and was really stoked to see a lower than expected number. For dinner I had a 240 calorie frozen enchilada and Greek salad and afterward I was up three pounds!!!!! I was also dying of thirst. The salad was almost all lettuce with maybe three olives and a little feta….and the dressing from the restaurant! I’m guessing the dressing was loaded with sodium but that was amazing. Anyway, I’m trying to drink a lot today to flush the water out. It almost has to be all water because I really didn’t eat calories over the allotment…..something to keep in mind!

Thanks everyone, kind words of encouragement.

Hi Blacksharp – I think one of the problems we all have when starting this different way of eating is that we all expect instant results, both in the way we do it and the results. It takes a bit of time to adjust so give yourself some time. If the WOE doesn’t work for you one day, just try it another day. There is no-one with a gun at your head that says do it now, or this way. Everyone is different, although the feelings we all get are probably the same, guilt, disappointment , shame, but don’t forget too that you will soon feel pride,, happiness and on top of the world when you begin to reduce the pounds.. Also it’s a good idea to fill in the tracker with your measurements etc. I re measure at the end of every month, and have lost inches when I haven’t lost many pounds. Your body will gradually change both ways,, plus don’t forget the health benefits you will constantly get that can’t be seen or weighed.
    Good luck, and stick with it, it does work. I bought the book and fasted as advised to start with. Then adjusted to suit me later on. OH and I started end of January. We have both reduced by a stone (14lbs) and apart from losing on other parts of the body, I have lost a massive 5inches around my waist.
    I also recommend getting the fast diet cookbook. Mimi’s recipes are easy to do and delicious. Makes fasting much easier when someone has thought it all out for you.
    Hope everyone has a great fast day tomorrow.
    AH. won’t tell you what OH would like to see written on his post its!!!l. TTL

Hi Blacksharp

poor you! But this isn’t slimmimg world, we are not on a diet, this is a way of life!

There is an old wives saying, feed a cold and starve a fever, and there is a lot of commom sense in old wives tales. So listen to your body – and some days just be kind to it.

Aren’t we so blummin’ hard on ourselves. We are doing this for us, for our health and well being, and frankly cos we want to look good, or at least, in my case, to be able to stand in front of the mirror in M&S and not feel bloody downhearted.

So, on days when the world is a little brighter, do a bit extra, extra fast day, an extra walk, and write it down. On a post-it note, perhaps AH? Cos you are now ahead of the game. On days when the world is weary, go easy on yourself, pull out the note, its now an IOU. Cash it in, and smile because you are still on target. You might find you have a drawerful of post its!

Hi! I have only done one week of the 5:2 diet. The first fast day was super hard so I think I could use the support!
    I currently weigh 73kg and would like to lose 10kg! I am reasonably active, going to the gym 3-4 times a week, mainly weights though.

I really need some ideas and supports about the fast days! I feel like such a newbie!!!

Thanks!

Fitnfast, your work place workouts sound very energetic, I felt tired just reading about them, well done you… can you get a handle how many calories expended for each session that they represent? Are you using the daily food and exercise diaries in My Fitness Pal record keeping, they are great for a visual record and also help with the positive reinforcement.

I find that after any sort of exercise I feel pretty good within myself and these times seem to be the easiest times to avoid food temptations, on the bsis that I don’t want to undo all the good work I have just put in during the exercise time. So I tend to do exercise time quite often when I’m feeling hungry and temptations seem to be getting the better of me, spend 20 or 30 minutes on a treadmill, come off it feeling good, then just fill up on water and that gets me through for another 3 or 4 hours.

TTL, I bet you have a secret little code for OH…..

MILENA, what great words of wisdom and reassurance to Blacksharp above, it’s a great little system building up credits for the days when things get tough, it takes away some of the self inflicted grief that we all experience, I’ll start to use that myself, thanks for the idea…

Good morning, my lovelies! Hope all are doing well!

I love to come on here and read all the support and caring that you all pour out to each other. I have to tell you, I have been on other forums (not necessarily weight loss related), and this is the warmest group of human beings I have ever had the pleasure to be involved with! The only thing that would make it better would be to meet you all face to face, and have a big party!

Ok, on with the business of fasting!

Coda, absolutely you can join us, and we are happy to have you! I will add you to the list. You are right, slow and steady, and let a blip be a tiny blip, cause that’s all it is. The body will do strange things, as we all know, and eventually, if you stick to the plan, it will do amazing GREAT things, and soon you will see results!

MaryW, ouch! Your foot sounds painful, and how frustrating that you have to wait. I guess I am fortunate in that regard. Even got a bit of a chew-out from the Dr. for waiting TOO long! Said he could have repaired the tendon if he had done the surgery right away. Oh well. C’est la vie, right? Hope you can manage ok til you go under the knife. Don’t worry about the exercise…I will focus on weight work while I am laid up (I keep 8 lb hand weight and strap-on ankle weight ON my bed, so I can lay there watching tv and do lifting. Yeah, the lazy person way but it works!)

carolinacatz, that absolutely sounds like water weight. Frozen meals tend to have a lot of sodium. I bet it comes right off. Drink a lot of coffee, might help alos.

littles, it can be difficult at first, just like anything new we try. I sucked at it when I first started (actually had to talk myself into even trying. Before this, I couldn’t even fast overnight for bloodwork!) Even sometimes now, I just can’t make it through a day, and I chuck it in, and reschedule another day. A lot of what happens in our bodies is regulated by hormones, even fat loss and gain, and I believe that at times, it is near impossible to ignore! You have to be superhuman (or Action Hero!) to make it through a day like that. Just do what you can, start out slow if you have to, and try again another day. Some of us do daily 16 hour fasts (which inevitably sometimes turn into 15 hour, or 17 hour…or whatever!), instead of or in addition to 5:2. You are still burning some fat at that point (I beleive it after 12 hours, your body starts to use stored fat for fuel), you just don’t get the WHOLE benefit of the 36 hour fast. Baby steps, little girl, baby steps!

TTL, I admire SO MUCH how , during July, you touched on everybody in your posts. I wish I had the time (and energy) to do that. As it were, I will do what I can to touch on most! I’m not surprised that you led us all into such a stunning month of losses!

Action Hero, the tire thing must have done something, cause even though I rarely weigh more than once a week, after 2 fast days and the workout, I am down 3.4 lbs this morning! Woohoo! Had to reset my goal on my tracker here. I don’t use any kind of tracker, either for diet or exercise. Too much other stuff going on (working full time plus take care of elderly parents). I just do what I do and hope for the best!

I had a thought earlier, after getting on the scale: how far down will your body let you go weight-wise, do you think? I was going to go into maintenance when I reach around 130, but what happens if I keep going? Where will my body stop, I wonder? Is it in my DNA to stop at 140? 120? Funny, isn’t it, that I never had to think about that before 5:2! Pretty cool thing we have found!

I was in the Dr.’s office yesterday getting my pre-surgical physical, and there is a notice on the board about a Diabetes seminar. The NP and Dr were checking me over, said wow, great weight loss, blah, blah, blah, and when they asked how, I told them intermittent fasting. Dead silence. Stupid stares. Then I said, ya know, you should have someone talk about it at that diabetes seminar. Fasting can reverse type II diabetes, done properly. Dead silence. More stupid stares! I just shook my head. Then the obese PA starts talking to me about I should do this and I should do that. And I got a little peeved, and thought, hmmm, here she is telling ME what I am doing wrong, and who is the one who is 200 lbs overweight? She should be asking me about what I am doing RIGHT. Sometimes I think we should have little business cards that we can hand out to people about IF. “Call me if you want to know the secret to weight loss and better health”. Or Tshirts: “I Lost _____ With IF”. With velcro spot so you can constantly make the number higher!

Ok, well, so much for my little rant! Hope everyone has a great day, fasting or not. Stay up, stay focused, keep your eye on the long-term prize!

Just remembered something I read recently, for those newbies who are having a bit of a hard time: it takes the body about a month to get used to using stored fat or ketones for fuel. If you think about how many years we have spent stuffing our bodies with food (usually the wrong food!), it is no surprise that there is some adjustment to be made.

Food for thought!

Hello.. Can I join in too?
    Was independently doing 5.2 for last week but only just came across the forum.. Am 10 stone 7lbs ( I think .. don’t have scales just go by looking).. would like to lose 7 lbs.
    I am fasting tues and thurs.. and I run between 5 and 10 km 3 times a week.
    I’ve been doing the running for 6 months and have lost no weight!!!
    My diet is healthy, lots of salads, hummous, yog and fruit. Don’t eat any sweets or cakes,and very little bread. Weaknesses are cheese, odd glass of wine and lattes but feel annoyed that I am not losing weight when I am so well behaved. Grrrrr.
    Weight is all around middle.. which is making buying clothes very difficult cos rest of me is still pretty thin. Was thin all my life and could eat what I liked so have a healthy appetite. Finding it hard to discipline this. Am up for more daily exercise… have got Insanity DVDs…cos quite like a challenge. Will I die of hunger if I do this too? Just want my old healthy, strong body back… not this odd apple-ish affair. HELP !!!!!!

Welcome, MsMarple! (Love the name!) We are happy to have you! I will add you to the list.

Exercise is great for keeping muscle and cardiovascular health but has very little to do with weight loss. In fact, it can increase water weight, appetite and derail your program. I ran, did Zumba and step 3-4 times a week, followed a very balanced Zone diet, and never lost more than 5 pounds! Doing 5:2 and 16:8 since mid-April, I have lost 30 lbs. I still do a few 15 minutes high intensity workouts a week, and short weight sessions. That’s it!

Everyone here does different versions, and tries different things that work for them. You may want to read back into earlier this month and July Challenge. Not only are these super motivational people, but they have some great out-of-the-box ideas!

good luck and again, welcome to the gang!

Hello, guys! Thanks for the info on the delay in burning stored fat, fitnfast! That makes sense and I have long noticed I have a delay in effect going both ways. I think of it as my body having a set point that needs nudging before it starts moving. I’m holding on to that thought. Also thanks for sharing the story about the doctor visit–so funny!!!! I have to apologize to members of the health care profession because I have a lot of baggage and I’m sure it pops out from time to time. This story fits right in. My husband and I have done some fasting over the years (in a less sustainable way) and so we’ve looked into it, and it’s obvious that there is a huge bias against the idea despite the historical and cultural examples of it as a beneficial way of life. I’m really excited about this method because I can actually do it. I’m losing very slowly because I have hormone stuff and I’m on a beta blocker for migraines, but slow loss is still okay with me!!!! More than okay. And I love having a forum to share and stay motivated. I will need that when we get back from vacation–we’re leaving Friday and will be back on the 24th. I may try to do some modified fasting such as not eating until we land (airport/airplane food is awful anyway).

MsMarple

Hi – love the handle, I’m a huge Christie fan, have the whole collection, including some first editions.

I am such a Saddo!

Just started Lee Childs, already in love – lust? with Reacher.

At last, a good start to the month – 2lbs of Muffin Top – yay! Watch out, AH, that me in your rear view mirror, and I’ve not had chocolate for a while.

Quote for the day

‘My mother told me to avoid intimate dinners for four.

Unless there are three other people.’

Orsen Welles.

MIlena, so true! I just got to Puerto Rico for vacation today. Here they feed you for everything. Happy? Celebratory Food. Sad? Comfort Food. Visiting? Food. And you best eat it all! Etc, etc., etc.

Today was one of my fast days and I am currently at like 800-900. Sigh… It is also so hot! I felt out of place. I was able to decline all the food offerings today but ended up having a bigger dinner than I had planned. Reading MIlena’s post motivated to finish the day the best I could. Thanks. 🙂

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all your comments. You really keep me motivated . To the other newbies, I have completed my 2 fast days and was really surprised that I wasn’t hungry, especially when ( after reading everyone’s comments) I fasted until lunchtime on Wednesday. I found it a lot easier to go without breakfast, wasn’t hungry at all. Today – free day/ normal eating (whatever you call it) I haven’t eaten as much as I normally would because I haven’t felt hungry. I had my usual breakfast of 40gr oats and was too full so I can see me cutting that down in size already. Feeling positive but girls weekend away tomorrow so I’ll try to keep within my limits. Have a great end to the week!

Hi all, second fast day of the week today. Did my other one on Monday, and didn’t shift anything, usually I weigh in after the fast day and have lost something, but no move this time. I’m putting it down to water weight (its the summer holiday for me and I seem to be eating out every day -lots of sodium!). Hoping today is more successful. Got crackers, olives and houmous lined up for lunch, a mushroom risotto bake thing and salad lined up for tea and grapes for snacking. I agree, if I have breakfast it makes me hungry all day. Good luck to anyone else fasting or feasting today. 🙂 xxx

Morning all from Ireland. Rain has stopped for now but not far away. Even that tho hasn’t ruined my week so far. I popped on the scales yesterday after my 1st fast and I’ve already shed 2 lbs this month. My 2nd fast day yesterday was really good too. But not resting on laurels one more fast this week to get my body back to routine.
    I Dont usually weigh myself that much but can now see motivation of doing it more often. What do folks think a daily weigh in is better than a weekly or even like me a monthly check? Or can we overdo it?
    Glad folks are on positive rolls.
    Rubylily

Milena,

Ha.. I love Jack Reacher, except when played by that tiny, tiny man Tom Cruise… very unfortunate.

Thank you for letting me join.

Lalimarie, have you heard of a fruit called Quenepa in PR… don’t know how many calories but it’s a lot of work to eat for very little fruit and it keeps your hands busy! That might help.

Fasting today.. hungry already and it’s not even 9 am yet.
    Was thinking of saving all my calories and just eating one massive 500 cal steak, just depends how much I’m allowed. Quite frankly I could eat a small child…. or Tom Cruise.. whichever is larger.

You Ladies, stop lusting after Jack, he’s not the type to settle down and be a one girl man, plus he doesn’t have any clean clothes and his only luggage is his tooth brush…. a good read though, I have them all and I have read them all at least twice, good yarns.

And you are right MsMarple, talk about illusions of grandeur in Tom Cruise playing the Big Man, I refused to even watch the movie and still haven’t seen it.

If you guys like Lee Child then there’s another author of similar style, Vince Flynn who has a lead character called Mitch Rapp (I know it’s a corny name), he’s a bit of a dude as well, a bit like Jack.
    https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=vince+flynn+novels&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=dxHDVdSiCsfEmAXMjZmoBA

Unfortunately Flynn died a couple of years ago so there are no more since his last one. Sorry to turn this Forum into a Book Club however it’s good for a change and you can always enjoy a good read on your fast days.

How is everyone managing who are “on the wagon” for the month. For all the Newbies, last month I estimated I gave up approx 70 glasses of wine over the 29 days I managed to stay off it, that’s a lot of calories and it helped my results. Plus it’s not hard after a few days, after golf and at 3 or 4 social meetings were my hardest times however a diet ginger beer or similar is very easy.

Great reading all the other positive posts above, keep up the great work everyone

Milena, you will LOVE Jack Reached…I have read them all three times over, and anxiously awaiting his new one! Love Miss Marple also, but movies/tv show on BBC, though I fall asleep every night listening to Lewis on my kindle!

Hi

Odd, I had no problem with Tom Cruise in the part, as the film was first time I’d heard of Jack Reacher, and I really like Cruise as Ethan Hawke.

This opinion may change, of course.

I do love Action Heros though, top of the list is Viggo as Aragorn!

Just had an evening off the wagon last night, I think that is two bottles of wine in 5 weeks. Used to be , 5 bottle in two weeks was abstaining! And 1/3 of the bottle is still there. Fast day today, so will finish tomorrow, then will aim to be dry until the end of the month.

Who else is abstaining, is it just AH and me?

Morning all from yet another grey day in Dundee! We see some blueish sky over the river, so we’re off to St Andrews chasing the sun today. LOL.
    Fast day for us today. I find it much easier not eating at all till evening, then have a ‘big’ meal at night (still 500 cals or less) it’s amazing how I get fuller faster these days, my stomach has definitely shrunk.
    Can’t help wading into the book club – didn’t they make a series on TV here a while ago about Jack Reacher. Thought he (the actor) was a dish but needed a bloody good wash!!
    I prefer Patricia Cornwell or Tess Gerritson, like to get my teeth into a good mystery, although James Pattersons ‘Alex Cross’ gets a thumbs up too. So much gore in my life – how sad.
    Am revisiting James Clavells books just now and am on Tai-Pan. Thick, heavy, books about the Orient, but I do like to get stuck in.
    Anyway – was really posting to say for the Newbies – I prefer to weigh in every morning, after toilet and teeth, in the skinny. Then if I have bumped up on the scales from the day before, I know to have a less calorific day today. I also find it interesting how different foods I eat affect my weight. ie: doesn’t take much cheese to add on, though I still have lovely cheese in moderation, and savour it! I have pretty much cut out carbs – bread, cakes, pastries, rice, pasta, potatoes, the obvious ones, and it’s amazing how this has affected my weight, and the bloating and repeating has gone too.
    Some folks may find weighing each day a bit obsessive, but it works for me, and has been a useful tool in weight reduction.
    I’ll shut up now and get to St Andrews. Have a great day all, fasting or not.

Damn, I hate that TTL, so casual, “Oh, I’m off to St Andrews” as if it’s something you don’t really have to do and you are doing it anyway !!!! The thought of a round of golf at St Andrews just whenever you like, makes me really envious…

Bed time for us down here now, have a great day everyone and stay strong

Hello from muggy North Carolina! It’s my last fast day before we leave bright and early for California!!! It’s been a strange week with a nice low that I quickly obliterated, probably with water weight. I’m hopeful today will set everything right.

I find that the non-fast days are the tricky part for me.

I may try one of these books for the trip …..

It’s morning here in Toronto, and it’s my third and final fast day of the week! First week of 5:2 has been great for me so far – cautiously looking forward to that Friday morning weigh-in!

Carolinacatz – you must be so excited for your trip! I agree – non-fast days are harder because I go back and forth between measuring everything I’m eating and not caring at all! It’s confusing!

Third time lucky – today will be the first time that I do liquids all day until dinner, so I’ll take your word for it that that’s the way to go!

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 324 total)

You must be logged in to reply.