Little Voices – August Challenge! Countdown begins!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Little Voices – August Challenge! Countdown begins!

This topic contains 323 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by  choiminzi 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 324 total)

• I’m on the wagon too! Except I fell off last night, 2 glasses of white wine. Husband has just retired (again!) and his work gave him two cases of the most beautiful wine… literally the VERY day I’d climbed on to that wagon. Grrr. Anyway, nothing to be gained by feeling sour, just lots of flab to lose for Miss MT.
    Today NFD but going a bit awry, think it’s because the sun has come out for literally the first time in a month in Scotland, seems to have melted my brain and my resolve. So came on here for a talking to and now feel that I can just. stop. right. there. Thanks team xx

Greeting from Norn Iron and a surprising dry one at that!

.5kg in the bag for Miss Muffin top!1.5kg to go this month to reach my goal and feeling positive. Sooo looking forward to my dinner tonight (just over 400 cals) but going to do a HIT run 60 sec run and 90 sec rest beforehand – the first week of the couch to 5k so it is all timed for me. Me and a couple of like minded people have set ourselves a challenge to loose 1lb each week for the next 8 weeks. Each pay a £ each week, if you don’t loose you are out and those remaining at the end the biggest looser wins half the pot with the rest going to a charity of our choosing.

Thanks for the welcome and for all the tips and chat.

Hello
    I am doing my second fast day today and this support group is really making keep focused. I know it is only my first week though and I haven’t passed a Friday evening without a glass or two of wine for a while. I think it may be why the scales don’t move?
    I am busy at work which keeps me out of too much trouble, I am booking orders for Christmas as fast as I can. Deliveries start going into shops early September so not long now. Now you know why I look forward to a few glasses of wine on a Friday?
    I have an unread book sitting by my bed and I can’t even remember what it was called. I will read again when not so busy. I did watch the GBBO last night, cake heaven, and watch any cookery programme going which is sometimes like food torture. I love cooking though!
    Ps. The sun is here at last in North Yorkshire, I will send it north. X

Hi All Really quick post, as it has been a crazy week and will be a crazier weekend. Welcome to all the newcomers! I think you are going to find after the first couple of weeks your body really gets the hang of it. Milena I am restricting myself to 2 drinks a week of whatever, one on Friday night and one on Saturday. I have cut out my “come home from work and relax” evening drink during the week, so that is 5 glasses of wine less a week (and some weeks would be a bit more).

My 4:3 plan went down the tubes this week. My Tuesday FD turned out to be close to 1,000 calories. Today, so far so good, so will try for Sunday as well to at least make it a 5:2 week. After all, a chocolate fish is at stake! Take care and strength and resolve to all fasters today and tomorrow.

Hi DJ

I must disagree, not down the tubes, just stuck in the u-bend! Under a thousand calories is actually great – not quite on target but still great – body fat got used today, and no ground was lost. Just needs a slight change in perspective. And tomorrow is another day!

I rather like your wine plans. Im staying dry hopefully this month, though the holiday – the reason for going dry – looks in great doubt, as we have a date for son’s op, well before we had planned to go, but I understand he wont get a cast untl 2 weeks after the op, unlikely we will be able to leave him to fend for himself. Maybe for the best, french wine may be too tempting!!!

Hi Jo, watched 4 episodes of grear british menu, on a fast day – we nust be mad. Good luck if you manafge to hold off the wine, you too Kate.

AH, thinking of popping up to St Andrews on Saturday, sunbis supposed to shine and Im pinching my OHs Lotus Elise. And I dont even play golf!!,:-)

Good morning all from a – wait for it – SUNNY Dundee!!! Yeh – it does exist!
    Methinks a day in the garden pulling weeds won’t go amiss, def some catching up to do after all the rain, just hope after the work we get chance to sit outside in the garden and enjoy it, maybe with a Gin and Tonic!
    After a hard fast yesterday managed to unload another 3/4lb. that takes me to 9st 9.1/4 lb. Yes! getting there!
    Leaving Dundee yesterday, trousers, jumper, jacket, scarf – under big black clouds and wind blowing, cold.
    Arrived St Andrews – sun shining, hot, overdressed, people in shorts and T shirts! That’s Scottish summer for you! and only 18 miles away!
    AH – if you ever make it to St A, we will show you around, some really nice eating places! and the surrounding countryside in Fife, especially the fishing villages of the East Neuk are beautiful. The Old Course is still closed just now as they are still dismantling the stands and marquees from the Open, its a massive operation.
    CarolinaKatz – enjoy for Californian Sun, The Beach Boys have been played on radio a lot here recently – reminds me of that era – yes, I am that age!
    AlexandraDS22 – how did you get on with the liquids only till dinner? Hope you managed it without too much hardship.
    Kate Eve – Oh well, off the wagon, on the wagon, it keeps rolling along – at least you know what to do about it, and today is a new day.
    Milena – love the bit about it being stuck round the bend – have had many such instances, will remember this in future!
    Am also reading another book just now as Tai-Pan is heavy going. Its called Lose Wheat, Lose weight. It’s very insightful as to how the body responds to these different foodstuffs. Wheat is probably one of the worst things you can put into your body. It’s nearly all refined, processed, doctored, bleached, synthetic stuff added till it doesn’t resemble all what it was many years ago. Same for other grains – and guess what, its in everything we eat that’s processed. No nutrition, just lots of calories and junk the body can’t assimilate. Frightening stuff. I’m glad I’ve kicked the habit, although there are days when I could eat a Lemon Meringue Pie to myself – but ten I remember how it makes me feel afterwards.
    Anyway, I am rambling now – off into the jungle while the sun shines – have a great day everyone and hope the sun is shining wherever you are. TTL

Some cheater-ish pounds for Stuffin Muffin.. went to my mother’s house to weigh myself on the traditional family scales to find I am 10 stone 3 not 10 stone 7… so that’s 4 lbs lost already.. fictionally speaking.
    As to the fast.. oh it’s so difficult to do when plans change. I was going to stay at home, grimly staring at my empty fridge on the Fast Day but then decided to visit said mother and take her out to dinner. I had 400 calories to play with which gets you absolutely nowhere in the Early Bird 2 courses for £9.50 restaurant we like to frequent….Well, it probably gets you a starter but who wants that when you could have steak frites for your main? And then you might as well have a glass of wine… and not an actual pudding but a spoonful of your mother’s? Where’s the harm in that.

No harm…i’ve decided… cos Ma and I had a lovely time and today is now fast day. Good Luck to you all, Love from me, illuminated by the baleful light of the barren refrigerator ….

Sunny dahn London, innit!

Ps .. For those of you who love a crime novel.. this blog is full of brilliant recommendations https://mrspeabodyinvestigates.wordpress.com/

Hello to all, this sunny and warm USA (and elsewhere!) day!

milena and those who imbibe, does wine hurt that much for losing? I can’t drink because of the pain meds I am on, and know beer and hard stuff packs it on quick. I always thought wine was rather good for you in moderation, and not too carb/calorie heavy.

TTL, I will check out that book. I was shocked also to learn about wheat. I ate whole wheat bread like it was candy, thinking it was healthy! Isn’t that what they promote? “Good whole grains, blah, blah, blah…”. Boy, were we misled! I’d like to have a small portion of the money we have wasted over the years buying food that was touted as good when it was making us fat and unhealthy all along!

MsMarple, thanks for the link! I am running out of good reads (rereading my Kinsey Millhone alphabet series now!).

Did some reading this morning (again a reread), and found some interesting facts: there are 8 hormones that assist in REMOVING fat from your body….and only 1 that INHIBITS fat loss: insulin. And what increases insulin? Yep, carbohydrates.

Also, the reason why exercising while fasting is so effective: during fasting (and/or during low carb intake), fatty acids are released from fat stores and are floating through your blood stream. When you start exercising, your body grabs up those free fatty acids and BURNS them up for fuel, so they are GONE! VANISHED! No chance ever of them going back into storage on hips, thighs, butt, whatever. I like that!

So, hope all have a great day. Feast day was yesterday for me, fast day today, winding up for the end of week one and weight in day tomorrow. I am excited to see what our first week will look like! I will also put up a current list so everyone knows where they are in their goals!

Hi everyone – wow fitnfast I like your fast day fat burning info 🙂 I did a fd yesterday and did a 45 min spin class the night before and then another one (30 mins) again on the evening of my fd (kept my mind off being hungry!) So let’s hope that’s a few fat cells destroyed for ever?! Have chosen to do 4:3 this week, with yesterday and today being my 2nd and 3rd (am pretty hungry right now but have prepared lo lo meatballs ready for dinner tonight – so excited) so will weigh in and hope to add to Miss MT tomorrow. Whilst eating my delicious breakfast of portabello mushroom with grilled vine tomatoes and 2 soft poached eggs this morning, my husband and I realised that without noticing we have radically reduced our wheat intake now that we are following this WOE. I know that when I visited a nutritionist a while ago, she said it was not necessary to give up any particular food but to always try and vary your diet as much as possible and to try and give yourself at least 1 or 2 days break a week from certain foods (eg wheat, alcohol) and this just happens naturally on fast days. Got a busy weekend with friends coming to stay with us down by the sea, so sure a few glasses of wine will be drunk, but I am planning a reasonably healthy medu (fresh sea food platter for lunch and steak and salad for dinner) so hopefully our three fast days this week will have allowed a little room for some fun. I have to say that all of Mimi’s recipes in the Fast diet 5:2 cookbook so far have been utterly delicious – and I love cooking, yet have had fun cooking new and yummy things – would highly recommend it if you haven’t got it yet. Will check in tomorrow morning with hopefully positive results from the weigh in!

Kate Eve, same here. Visiting family out of state has not been good dietwise. However, I have been trying to remember the book’s guidance. Not a sentence -not a bad thing – enjoy life. Fell off wagon – hard – yesterday.

So I feel like asking for HELP! Will appreciate any motivation to my iPhone or email but I do not know if I can post it here.

Hi all, 3rd fast day for me this week. Made it an active one with my horses. So far so good. Will tell all tomorrow morning – feeling hopeful that muffin top will be growing uncomfortably tight in her skinny jeans!
    Hi Coda where are you in NI? I live in Donegal.
    I think I agree FitnFast – did a detox last year – no booze for 6 months and I didnt see a big difference in either weight loss or any real positive changes physically. Just saved a few euros!
    Think as you say lifesabeach – changing your food (and drink) intake regularly may be a healthy approach. I live at the beach too – gorgeous when we get a summer interesting when winter comes, but nothing like a walk on a deserted beach with a force 5 at your back.
    Check in tomorrow in the meantime may your clothes feel loose and your dreams be of chocolate fish.

Hi, all,

I’m down a pound for the week and I’ll take it, since between last Friday and now I also went up a pound. So it’s down one for the record, but really down two. Someone said the first 20 lbs are the easiest, and I’m finding that. I’m down 20, and it’s slow going now, but that’s okay. I figure the longer it takes me to lose the other 20 lbs, the more this WOL will become a habit.

I’m getting pumped about the fact that my BMI is now only 1.8 points above “healthy weight.” That is my next goal. When I started 5:2 I was in the “Obese” category.

Action Hero: I’m impressed that you can keep chocolates and toffee in the freezer for your grandkids. When I was at Weight Watchers several decades ago they told us to put cakes and cookies in the freezer to prevent ourselves from eating them. I could not understand that advice: I have NO trouble eating frozen chocolates, toffee, cake and cookies! 🙂 (Well, I might not try frozen toffee now because I worry about my teeth.) Anyway, our kids won’t usually let us feed their kids sweets, so there wouldn’t be much point in stocking it. I’d just have to eat it before it got freezer burn.

As a writer (but not of mysteries or crime novels at the moment, but you never know: I did co-write a western, of all things. I’ve also written one novel about a woman’s fight to get thin), I’m glad to hear so many people are still readers. We hear so much about how everyone is switching to movies and videos and graphic novels and flash fiction — sometimes it is very discouraging. So keep on moving your eyes across the page and getting lost in the stories. On behalf of writers everywhere, I thank you. (I am currently reading a sci fi novel called Lucifer’s Hammer. It was published in the 1970s. It’s not my usual fare but a young [40 year old!] friend recommended it so highly I couldn’t ignore him. My favourite crime novelist is Ruth Rendall, may she RIP.)

lalimarie, we will help you all you need! I have never been able to figure out how to send private messages on here, but you can email me at dgriff16@hotmail.com, and I will happily get you through any rough spots. That goes for anyone here. A fast day can be challenging sometimes!

No contribution to MissMuffinTop this week… Up a pound, down a pound all week coming out even. Started this week with 19:5 as 5:2 does not get me anywhere. Very easy not to eat all day until 5PM and do not feel I need to gorge when I have my ‘breakfast’. Anyway, am hanging in there looking forward to the next weigh-in.

Hi Fit – happy to stuff the muffin with 1.5 lbs from me for the week.
    Actually had a beautiful day in Dundee today. Got quite a bit of gardening done . Ran out of potting compost so took myself off to Dobbies to get some. Whilst there decided to have a cuppa. OH NO,! Ruddy great big meringues and cream topped with strawberry jumping up and down in front of my eyes . Walked on by, got my tea then walked back thinking SOD IT, then you lot of Little Voices started talking to me firmly! ………And I walked on by for the second time – how’s that for will power!!!
    Still a beautiful evening here so decided to bar b q the lamb . So unused to cooking this way, forgot about it, so ended up with a chunk of carbon and a very nice avocado salad! Wish I’d had the meringue now!
    Now on my second gin to drown my sorrows! ……………..””” TTL

God.. so hungry I could eat my own head…

so decided to make banana and walnut loaf…to eat tomorrow.

Hoping the smell of it all might feel like eating…. and the anticipation.

“To crave and to have are as like as a thing and its shadow. For when does a berry break upon the tongue as sweetly as when one longs to taste it, and when is the taste refracted into so many hues and savors of ripeness and earth, and when do our senses know any thing so utterly as when we lack it?” from Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson

Does anyone else bake when they’re hungry?

Just checking in to say that today was my first weigh-in day, and I have lost 5 lbs, or 2.3 ish kgs!

Good luck to everyone fasting today!!

MsMarple,

I love to bake when I’m fasting as well as cooking ahead. I think it is the anticipation to enjoy a piece of pie or cake, etc. when it is time to eat that allows me to prepare food without wanting to eat it right away.

No move for me, but I gained a bit after a pizza express blow out weekend, but managed to lose it again so I’m still pleased!
    I like planning meals for the next few days when fasting, or food shopping, reorganising food cupboards!! I think baking would be a good shout, but I’m a picker so probably not the best for me!
    Another tactic I use to get me through fast days is making my boyfriend eat anything that’s open and tempting!!
    Speaking of, he’s whisking me away on a secret getaway for three days next week, I have no idea what we’re doing. He keeps joking about it being a three day lard eating fest. Got to fast on Sunday instead of Monday so I can enjoy to the fullest! I’m excited. 🙂
    Hope you’re all good, sounds like you’re all doing well. 🙂 xxx

Will you take a late joiner for August?? I have lurked on the forums for some time but am hoping active participation will strengthen my resolve and keep me honest. Besides, I want to support Action Hero and Slim2be as a fellow Kiwi!!

I’ve just climbed back on the 5:2 wagon after a few months eating and drinking my way around Europe and creating the most extensive range of “I’m in holiday” excuses ever invented. All that happened is I’m almost back where I started from a year ago.

I’m owning up to a current weight of 77.5kg (after a fast day yesterday) and my aim for the remaining three weeks of August is 2.5 – 3 kg. There. I’ve said it so it must happen!!

O_sunny3, doing 19:5 and nothing lost? Any ideas what might be going on? That program usually shifts it off real quick. If you want to review what you are eating or anything, let us know so we can all help. We want to try to keep the frustration out of way, because that is what I think makes you want to quit. We are here for you!

I so envy those beach dwellers! That is my dream and plan. Live and write novels at an oceanside cottage.

Thanks to you all, I walked twice past a tin of homemade chocolate chip cookies that my daughter brought over. Then I hid them way on top and back of fridge where I won’t see them! She knows how much I lost, even did it (and publicly admitted that I was right….a first!) And yet she does that! Ugh! Well, I can eat them tomorrow, right?!

fitnfast
    I want to give it until the end of the month to see how much I can lose as I understand that it takes a couple of weeks for some to start losing. I am not desperate as I can see now that one has to find out what works best individually and the 19:5 seems to fit as I have no hunger pangs, just maybe a growly stomach after about 18 hours 🙂

Hi O_Sunny, just reading your posts and I’m confused. Your 19:5 plan I assume is 5 fast days spread over 24 days, just like 5:2 is 2 fast days spread over 7 days. If this is the case then your 19:5 is actually less than 5:2 because 5:2 equates to 20:8 If you did consistent 5:2 then you would achieve 3 additional fast days within almost the same period as your 19:5. Still confused??? Or maybe I have misinterpreted your 19:5 meaning.

AH

I fast every day with a feeding window of 5 hours i.e. 5-10PM or 4-9PM, etc. I eat first a snack and then have dinner.

Hi everyone, greetings from New Zealand again. Also welcome on board Chipmunk, great to have another Kiwi in this amazing group of people, where abouts in this fabulous country do you live?

TTL, on the Gin eh !!! Gin is a very good drink however depends what you put with it, more Gin is OK, any of those calorie loaded mixes aren’t so good, just plain water is the best with a big slice of lemon or lime, superb…

Now, something for me to tell everyone and maybe for some of you guys to ponder. Since joining this 5:2 way of life I’ve had a dramatic personal health change in that I have suffered from Psoriasis all my life, it’s a skin complaint and anyone who has put up with this for any length of time will know all about it, how unpleasant it can be and how it can have quite an impact on self esteem. About 20% of people worldwide endure Psoriasis in some form or another.

Well my good news is since sticking to my first 40 days of fasting the psoriasis has gone, completely cleared up, nothing, no more flaky cracked skin patches. Diet has always been promoted as contributing to the symptoms and cause however no one has ever said eating specific food types has been more harmful than others. Also over the past 40 days my alcohol intake has been absolutely minimal as well so maybe this combined with very low carbs, sugars & sodium have also combined to the result.

So, I’m sure there are people in this Little Voices group who also endure Psoriasis in some form or other, be reassured that if this result has come to me then you too may expect to see improvements too, I certainly hope so. Take care everyone and be strong. A little thought for the week to finish on:

Sacrifice is giving up something good for something BETTER

Rubylily I am in co down an area famous for its spuds! I had lots of holidays in Donegal, Marble hill strand in Portnablagh. Miles of golden beaches with hardly a sinner in sight – beautiful! A bit like parts of NZ without the better weather!
    19:5 seems quite complicated? If you are restricting everyday does this not encourage the body to hold on to rather than shed fat? Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge could explain the benefits?

I tend to agree Coda that 19 hours fast then eating only in a 5 hour window isn’t really “fasting” and the body would simply adjust within that 24 hours and accommodate without using fat reserves for energy.

Quite often on my non fast days I only have one snack and one actual meal and stay below my TDEE for that day so it actually becomes a restricted low calorie intake day without a full 600calorie fast. This means my body is still adjusting to low calories on those days also and still uses fat reserves for energy

Sunny, I think it would be wise to read Dr M’s chapters about the importance of actual full fast days so you can maximise your results without getting disappointed with your results of your 19:5 hourly method. Just thinking…. end of the day it’s what works for you.

Ms Marple: Marilynne Robinson is one of my favourite writers. Have you read Gilead? It’s stunning. She was here in Toronto last winter, being interviewed with Colm Toibin: what a treat it was to get a ticket to see that!

Everyone else: sorry for the detour. Back to business. Does anyone have an opinion on whether chewing gum is cheating on fast days?

Hi MaryW, looks like Chewing Gum contains about 5 to 10 calories (depending on brand) per piece (stick) so as long as you include that in your FD calorie count then of course it’s not cheating.

Hi Action Hero, thanks for your welcome! I live between Marlborough and Wellington most of the time – but I like to travel a lot.

Agree with AH and Coda re 19:5 every day – seems a bit too restrictive – I really do believe sticking firmly to 5:2 with 500 or 600 calories will work for everyone – you just have to not cheat! It may take longer for some people than others but persistence is the key.

Hi

I too am a 19:5er. Or at least I try. Usually I managed 21:3 or even a 22:2.

I find an eating window to be a good discipline, I can stay under 1000 calories quite easily if I have just a couple of hours to eat. Otherwise I’m fine until I start eating, as I’m a bit of a grazer. Once I start I can easily go from ‘normal’ to ‘the way I used to eat’. Under 19:5 or my tighter version, the window closes when I’m still full. I just try to eat later and later in the day, I never eat after ten, so opening the window as late as possible means I eat less, and my fast is extended. Hope that makes sense.

Can’t do it on days I go out for a latte though. Working from home, a coffee shop break gets me out of the house. We have our wee ‘business meetings’ in Costa, and even work sometimes when we go. Don’t want to change that – changed from medio full fat to small skinny without really noticing though. Trouble is if we go at 2pm, it’s hard to close the window at 7. Working on it though.

Fast days are usually no eating, but I still try to stay in the window on the fasting days I do eat.

Thinking of testing benefits of olive oil, but at the recommended 6tbsp, 720 calories, I’ve nowhere to go with calories.

Sounds restrictive, but when I ease up, I plateau or even put on weight. We shorter, older women just don’t need many calories. My TDEE at target is well under 1400 calories

Re the Jack Reacher book – quite disappointed!

Has the FBI agent worked out in no time – became obvious when they took Roscoe, and worked out where they got the paper from way before Reacher.The experts would have known this – except I dont think it’s even feasible. Just started the second one.

The sun is out here in the east of Scotland, good chance we will hit 19c, which I think is nearly 70°, a heatwave for us. Everything is relative, lol! Still debating whether it’s a trip up the East coast or a visit to the Edinburgh festival. It will be quite novel watching the street artists on the Royal mile in the sunshine, though seeing folk walking makeshift tightropes on the cobbles in sunshine won’t be quite as thrilling as seeing them attempt it in a downpour. Probably the drive though, festival is on for three weeks and it’s slightly less busy on weekdays! Have a great weekend all!

Hi all from Ireland.
    So after my three days fasting I am able to stuff Miss MT with an additional 2lbs. This is a good start for me this month and it means I am only 5lbs from my target weight and getting to maintenance at 9st 2lbs (58 kilos).

I’ve been pondering my fasting journey and thought I’d share a few of the positive benefits I’ve seen to this way of life.
    Clothes – feeling loser and finally enjoying shopping knowing that things fit better.
    Comments – lovely to have people say how healthy I look. Family outings are the best as these are folks who have known me all my life.
    Cash – I think I have saved about 10 euros/week by both myself and my husband Jim fasting at least 2 days/week. Soon adds up!
    Cleaning – my kitchen is cleaner on at least 2 days/each week which gives me some incentive to keep it clean all week.
    Chores – much easier physically to get stuck into jobs.
    Confidence – ties all the above together – much happier in myself, enjoy having the feeling of a healthy body that is serving me now and as I get older.

Didn’t mean for them all to start with C – sure others can think of some additional ones and perhaps these may help us when days are long and the tummy rumbles have become loud.
    Hope everyone is having a great weekend and Miss MT is getting overloaded!

Hi everyone. Oh dear,, I’m afraid allll this technical stuff and ‘window counting’ doesn’t do it for me . I just stick to Dr Ms book and gave it time to work. I changed my fast days by not eating at all till dinner time , sticking to 500 cals, then nothing after dinner till breakfast next day.l. Works for me. So ‘technically’ I guess I’m doing 23.5/.5 as it only takes me 30 mins to eat my dinner!?!

One big change I have made is to eliminate carbs from my diet.l. Since doing this I have consistently lost weight. This comes from my holiday in South Africa when I visited a kinesiologist to get to the bottom of a long standing problem. She promoted the ‘Banting’ way of eating. Low carb/ high fat. Plus found I have an intolerance to wheat. Moving on I bought the book THE REAL MEAL REVOLUTION BY PROF. TIM NOAKES. What an eye opener! Some of the eating is a bit extreme for me, but have found combining this WOE with 5:2. Is working well for me. It really is scary the processes all grains go through before it’s even used to produce food. The human body was never meant to ingest this kind of poison.
    The good thing is Prof Noakes has just bought out a new book THE REAL MEAL REVOLUTION FOR KIDS.
    Now that is forward thinking. What is the point of waiting till we are all adults and obese, when we need to be teaching kids how to eat, and not even get to the overweight stage.

Anyway, don’t want to preach other weight reduction plans, I am def for 5:2, but anyone trying to give up carbs and finding it difficult, I highly recommend this book. The recipes are delish too.

AH – that’s amazing that your skin problem has cleared up, though not surprising. I’m sure your life has improved considerably now you don’t have the constant itching. Isn’t it very true – WE ARE WHAT WE EAT!

Hooray for eating… been for a run and now about to have a bacon sandwich….first bread for ages…. drooling all over the keyboard, kitchen, house.

Have also given up carbs… just happened naturally since children left home.. no need for endless rounds of toast, pasta based meals etc. Haven’t actually lost weight though and am wondering if I might need it for running. Might bring back one pasta meal on friday nights to get some carbs on board for Sat am Parkrun. Is anyone else in the UK a Parkrunner? It’s a fantastic way to start the weekend.

AH- I too have psoriasis. I hate all the psoriasis diets, cos they seem to include all my favourite food. I have tried them before but have had no improvement. I’m not convinced of the link but if it has worked for you, fantastic. Personally I think lying prone on a sunny beach with no clothes on for weeks at a time has the best results!

Hi,
    I am a runner too, but a very slow one. All my chaps are back at home so the house is stuffed full of pasta, rice an bread. I have noticed that I eat far less bread than I used too after starting the 5:2 and I am convinced that it is also responsible for clearing up my psoriasis too.
    My favourite post run meal is a ripe mashed avocado on 2 slices of toast, but that comes in around 600 calories or peanut butter for about half that. My son and I have a pre run tradition of a Jamie Oliver recipe that is pasta/bacon/peas and creme fraiche which is quite delicious, simple and comes in around 670 calories.
    Check out your TDEE and see what you are actually consuming. It was very enlightening when I did this last week. Made a few changes and the scales are moving again.

Hi Fin, A little present fir Miis Muffin Top. On 1 August I was 129.6 and one week later I am 128.2, so 1.4 off my muffin top for her muffin top. Onwards and downwards on this new WOE. Have a good day everyone on this challenge.

Hi fit

yes, wine does hurt that much – I really miss it, but I can’t just do a glass a night, I like fizzy and somehow the whole bottle disappears, and Im not a lot better with still whites or even reds. Im definitely not an alcoholic, the cupboards are full of spirits, mostly used in cooking. Ive got 4 bottles of gin, been there years, I give away whiskey and have vodka about twice a year. I go through gallons of Brandy, but only when cooking. Wine gives hubby a headache, so I tend to drink by the bottle by myself, was finding I was hitting 3 bottles a week, sometimes even on 5:2.

Giving up chocolate and cake was easy, dont miss those, but never ate a lot. Portion sizes are well down, and thanks to 19:5 I dont graze.
    Id be a poster girl for 5:2 if it wasnt for wine.

“If you know neither tbe enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle ”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Hi Milena –
    I sympathise with your desire for a glass or two of wine. I can manage to abstain on fast days but on non fast days any resolutions I might make go out the window. Whenever I make plans for “dry July” or any other month of no alcohol I find too many ‘special’ occasions get in the way!
    Any way, the main thing is if we can keep fast days clear of booze it can’t be a bad thing!!

Hi Still confused over 19:5. I thought the idea for health and weight loss behind 5:2 was eat a healthy diet 5 days within your calorie allowance and restrict calories for 2. Sunny if you are restricting everyday you are not allowing the body to feast and famine so to speak. This may be why you are not getting the results. If you were only doing this on 2 or 3 days in the week I understand but not everyday. Or I have just not understood?

Hi

I do the 19:5 or 20:4 etc just to achieve exactly what you wrote, Coda. Im fat for three reasons, large portions, grazing and wine. Not junk food or sugar. Calorie control stops the large portions, the 19:2 stops the grazing.

19:5 enhances feast and famine, as it simply extends the fasting time, and reduces the feeding time.

Your comment about how 5:2 works is correct, 19:5 is merely strategy within 5:2.

Chipmunk, I know whatvyou mean, but if you have even slightly reduced your intake, its a victory.

Whatever gets you through the night, I believe.

Good morning, little fasters!

I am seeing some progress already on our merry journey to slimness and health! So, a quick recap of our team and the results that are in so far. If I missed your number, either goal or first week result, please post and let me know.

Name/goal/week 1 result
    RuthyH/5
    rubylily/6/2
    Femme ecossaise/4.6/1.4
    Kate Eve/7
    Upagumtree/3
    dizzywiggs/4
    O_sunny3/3/0
    blacksharp1/7
    DJ757575/3
    JoBarnaby/4
    Third time lucky/3.75/1.5
    MaryWWriter/5/1
    pinkdodo/5/0
    Slim2be/7
    AlexandraDS22/?/5
    lalimarie/6
    Coda/3/1
    Action Hero/9
    carolinacatz/?
    milena/5/2
    littles/?
    MsMarple/7
    annette52/?
    chipmunk13/5
    fitnfast/8/3.1

Hope I got everyone! If there is a ? where your goal should be, let me know what you want entered.

Some fantastic first week results, with AlexandraDS22 leading the way so far, with McLean and I close behind. A lot of weigh ins coming up, though, so who will leave us in the dust?!

Stay tuned for part 2 of this morning’s post!

Ok, another cup of coffee, ready for another post…

First, an official welcome to our latest joiner, chipmunk13! We are pleased to have you, and everyone, aboard so that Miss Muffin Top will expand exponentially.

Milena, I guess I didn’t realize how much the wine can add up. So kudos to those who have kept from imbibing, all or in part.

Action Hero, the skin clearing up is super! Seems to me that I have read other conditions that were improved with fasting. The most interesting, I always thought, was the control and or elimination of seizures in children!

So, about the 19:5, etc. There are many different fasting regimens. 5:2, 19:5, 16.8, the Four Hour diet, etc. All fasting regimens are based on the same premise (at least this is what I understand it to be): insulin drives fat storage. Fasting drops insulin levels (as does carb restriction). About 12 hours after your last meal, your body has used up that meals energy, and turns to stored fat. The longer you can fast AFTER that, whether a total of 16, 19,20, 22, or whatever, the more stored fat you use. If you are doing 5:2, and eat only 1 or 2 meals after going all day without, then you have spent all those fasting hours using your fat (in essence, eating your fat!). Theoretically, you could do 5:2, graze all day long, eating itty bitty amounts throughout the 36 hours….and lose nothing, because you haven’t allowed your insulin level to drop low enough to where it has to use any fat. It is like your stored fat is money in the bank. Insulin is pocket cash. If your pockets always have cash in them, you NEVER HAVE TO GO TO THE BANK!

So, in reality, we are all heading for the same goal; some of us just have a different way of getting there. The cool thing is that fasting can be tailored to each individual, and even changed throughout our lives as our bodies change (especially us girls).

Same with carbs. Some can tolerate lots, some not so much, others not at all. Finding what works takes a long time. Look how many of us, myself included, who have spent 40 or more years trying to lose and failing. And perhaps watching our parents and grandparents do the same. Now we found answers, and the answer is generally the same, but specifically different.

So, those are my thoughts and feelings, and I am so proud of everyone here, who have committed to this method that has changed so many aspects of our lives. May we continue to persevere and succeed!

Hello all and welcome to our latest newbies! I have been flying below the radar for several days now, as I have been working all out at a local music festival (and working full time), so apologies for not too many directed posts.

I just have to say though, Rubylily I love your 6 “C” list. It is interesting that every benefit starts with a “C” and in and of itself “6C, 6C, 6C” makes a great little mantra to use when temptation strikes.

Enjoying the book talk. I consume books and when on a roll have been known to read 2 books in a day. My taste is pretty eclectic but I do tend to get fixated on a certain gendre for a while. Right now I am tearing through psychological thrillers. I always have a, for want of a better term, mind expanding book on the go – currently working on Guns, Germs and Steel.

For all of us currently on the wagon, my week was very interesting. I obstained during the week as plegded, but over the weekend I also ended up obstaining, and that coming after 2 nights of volunteer bartending! Works for me in terms of calorie reduction. Next month I will start reintroducing red wine every now and then, as the research pretty conclusively proves that there are true benefits in having a glass.

So my at home scales have gone crazy again. According to the scales I am now 123.4 lbs. Not a hope in heck that this is correct (although I do wish). Official weigh in will be tomorrow at the gym, so we will see the true weight – I am suspecting around 126 – 126.5. Enjoy your Sundays everyone and strength and resolve to all fasters.

Hi Fit – well said – something for everyone here. Pleased to say I am always at the bank as my pockets are generally empty!
    Had a busy housecleaning day today so off out for a well earned breather followed by a cuppa.. Ohh please Lord, don’t let there be any meringues.
    Fast day tomorrow – hoping to get down to 9.9. Fingers crossed. Happy days.

Once again Fin, a great post. Thanks. Ray

Hi all and great results for our first week everyone – with a few more folks to post results, you are all inspiring me.
    DJ thanks for reply glad my meanderings may help.
    Yes life at a beach was my dream too Fit – including the book – have been researching one – but thats my problem – I love the research more than the writing! Coda – I know Portnablagh in Winter as it gets a little busy in summer – relatively busy of course. We are further round at Magheroarty. Spuds – boy do we Irish love them!
    Heres to a new week and dumping a load on poor Miss MT.

Thanks Fit

Monday morning here in NZ and so it’s fast day!

Thanks, fitnfast for the Miss Muffin Top leader board – it is inspiring. No results to post as yet as I just checked in to this forum a few days ago and didn’t want to weight myself this morning and risk disappointment!

Hope everyone has a good week.

Hi Fitnfast

Monday morning in New Zealand and it’s back to winter here over the weekend, single digit temperatures, no golf, a bit grumpty being stuck inside all weekend so not a lot of activity, however a good result on the scales this morning.

Weekly reduction is 1.2kgs or 2.5lbs so pretty happy with that as the start to my monthly goal of 4kgs (9lbs)

Thanks also for your very insightful explanation of the principle of hours between fasts, it certainly makes sense and probably explains why I have been doing quite well because, on my alternative day fasts the periods between actual food consumption quite often well exceed 12 hour periods.

Keep up the great efforts everyone, we are all amazing people who are committed to some amazing goals for this month, stay strong and keep reporting you achievements, they make great reading and are reassuring to us all, Cheers, Mike

Great start to the week with a 1 kg loss! I’m so happy with that because I spent the weekend away with the girls in Hanmer. Lots of drinking, eating, laughing and …….snow! Not such a good end to the weekend as I travelled back to Christchurch in the back of an ambulance with my dear friend who slipped in the shower and managed to break her leg and do some serious damage to her ankle and knee. She is in hospital awaiting surgery. I am more determined than ever now to lose this weight. She is a big girl and fell awkwardly getting out of the shower – that extra weight can seriously hurt! Thanks for all the comments last week that supported me through my first week. I really can do this! Wahoo!

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 324 total)

You must be logged in to reply.