Lisa's diary

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  00Lisa00 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Thought I’d do as others have done and start a thread to use as a place to record my experiences on 5/2.

I live in Kirkland WA USA which is a cute little town on the other side of Lake Washington from Seattle – you can see the top of the space needle from our place.

I’ve had a problem with my weight my entire adult life. At my highest I weighed in at 203 lbs at 5’4″ eeek! Through various programs I would lose 15 gain 10, lose 10 gain 5 etc etc. Somehow I finally managed to get down to around 148 lbs by the beginning of 2013. It was always a real struggle and has taken 4 years to do. I’ve even done a few weeks at the Biggest Loser Resort which is what jump started my 4 year losses.

On Jan 7 2013 my husband and I found a new gym within walking distance of our house and never looked back. A year later we managed to do 182 workouts in a year! These are full on, hard core workouts. I am fitter than I have ever been. I can even run 5K races now – not super fast but I can hobble along at a trot. HOWEVER during the last year I’ve also put back on 11 lbs. Sigh…

Sooooo last Tuesday 1/14 we ran into our British neighbor and she was very excited about the diet she and her (Dr.) hubby were on. Since he’s a Dr. I decided to look it up and two days later my husband and I did our first fast day 🙂 We are just as interested in the possible health benefits as the weight loss though I do hope the weight does come off! I have a trip to tropic lands in May that I hope I can squeeze into a nice bathing suit by then 🙂

Weight 158.2 lbs
    Waist 35″
    Goal 135 (tentative goal that may change)

Fast day 1 – stayed within calories, was a bit dizzy and headachy – woke up at 4am after the fast but overall not too bad.

Fast Day 2 – was a total breeze yay! Even went to a friends house, ate two boiled eggs before we went, had sparkling water while there and a frozen dinner when we got home. Woke up at 4am again lol hope this doesn’t happen forever.

Our current schedule is fast days on Sunday/Thursday which are our gym rest days. Have to do one fast on Wednesday so we’ll see how a workout is on a fast day then.

I usually burn around 500-600 calories on my workout so that gives me something around a 2000 TDDE – this will be my problem as so far I’ve been pretty hungry on my normal days. I’m hoping the lighter eating most people see will kick in soon. There is also a wee issue of our traditional Friday bar visit at lunch time that often spans to dinner – erp. We don’t really drink much other than that but I think I can undo an entire week of great eating on that one day. May have to re-think that a bit.

Next fast day Wednesday! Weigh in day this week will be Thursday after 3 fasts (last Thursday, Sunday and this Wednesday). After that it will mostly be on Fridays after my Thursday fast.

Does anybody know if this way of eating can help with fibroids? I have some annoying ones and hope maybe it will help.

Also I love reading people’s blogs and such so if you have one or read a good one let me know!

Hi Lisa!
    Well done, sound as though you are really committed! The headaches will pass. I find that when I exercise Im actually less hungry so a good day to fast! You will definitely see a difference in your eating pattern on your non fast days, you won’t want to eat as much. Stick with it! Its worth it.
    x

Thanks lizmumbles!

Third fast day and a workout day to boot. Workout was absolutely fine – felt no different than when I usually eat beforehand. I might have even had a little bit more energy because I wasn’t digesting breakfast. It also killed a couple of hours on a fast day so I’m considering doing my fast day every Wednesday going forward. Hmmmm. I burned 564 calories so I will end up with a net negative day overall!!

No real hunger yet and it’s almost noon – I’ll wait another hour or two and have my Amy’s Split Pea Soup (200 cal) and my Beef Curry meal at 6 or 7 pm (280 cal). I’m really having no trouble at all on fast days, a little hunger here and there but in a way I am enjoying them – is that weird? I also seem to get tons done on fast days – those scary cupboards are all getting cleared out.

Weigh in tomorrow! Stay tuned 🙂

Weigh day!

Start weight: 158.2
    Current weight: 156.6
    Loss this week: 1.6 lbs
    Total loss: 1.6 lbs

I’ll take it 🙂 Of course more would be better especially for the first week but at least it’s down. I definitely allowed myself to have more “comfort” food then I usually would. I took the eat what you like a little overboard this week. Not the way I usually eat so I think it will even out now that I got some of the things I craved out of the way. Burgers, teriyaki chicken, taco salad, chocolate just to name a few lol.

Really the first week was pretty painless. I’m actually kind of enjoying the fast days except for a couple of hours in the afternoon and around 9pm. Also I’m still having a bit of sleep disturbance after fast days. I keep waking up at strange hours of the night. I’m not hungry then, just wide awake.

Next fast day is Sunday so I’ll try to be a bit better on my normal days but I refuse to track or stress out about it – that way will doom this way of life for me. I do plan on just making some better choices and eating out a few times less than last week.

Thanks for reading 🙂

Hi Lisa and well done on your progress so far!!

You seem very focused and am sure the numbers will be down and down in time lol, keep a it!!

Happy fasting 🙂

Thanks 🙂 It really helps that my husband is right on board with me!

I just noticed I never put my age on my original post – I’m 46

Hello Lisa,

Congrats with the results and welcome. Looking forward to see the weight reductions over time 😉

Well done on your progress! It is always easier if your partner is on board.

On fast days it helps me a lot to drink tons of water and green tea as it seems to keep the hunger at bay.

Best of luck
    Stef.

Plugging along – 4th fast day is tomorrow and kind of looking forward to it. I haven’t had the normal day lack of appetite others have noticed, I hope that kicks in soon. I have noticed I’ve been craving sweets and since I don’t normally do that it’s a bit weird. I just powered my way through a bag of Almond Joy Pieces erp. I think I’m going to have to ban buying sweets for a couple of weeks. Tonight is a nice Duck Confit with lentil salad which is one of my favorite dishes at a local restaurant. I still need to sort through my frozen meals and soups to decide on tomorrows fast menu. Thanks for reading!

Ack – was gong to only weigh in once a week after each 2nd day fast. Decided to go ahead and weigh today after yesterday’s fast. AFTER a fast day I’m the same weight as I started – exactly. Which means I’ve actually gained since the beginning. 4 perfect fast days, fine on my normal day eating, work out 5 days a week and a gain, sigh. There is even a 1 inch gain in my waist. Oh well it happens I guess. I have some major issues with my metabolism (did a 1300 cal meal delivery with no cheating for a month with my working out and lost nothing) so maybe it’s to be expected. Will keep going for a month and if no difference then maybe it’s not for me.

Sorry for my mini-panic last post lol – I’m pretty sure I was bloated and hoping it was just a fluke. That will teach me to weigh on the wrong day!

Tomorrow is fast day 5 – still using canned soups and frozen meals. However I just ordered the Hairy Dieters books and will branch out once they get here. Anybody have any favorite recipes from the books I should try first?

Tomorrow is another workout and fast day combined. Last week it was totally fine, I hope it goes as well tomorrow. So far I have noticed a bit more energy in my workouts than in the past. I hope that continues!

Next weigh-in day is Thursday. Cross your fingers and your skinny toes for me!

Well 2 weeks in (5 fasts) and not much change. My fasts are spot on, my eating on non-fast days is good and I’m still exercising a lot. Weigh in today 156.8 that’s .2 up from last week.

Oh well I know my metabolism is terrible, even my doctor has been stumped for a while on why I don’t lose. My blood tests are all completely normal too so nothing there.

I’ll keep at it for a couple of months and see if anything shifts. At least it has been really easy – yesterday’s fast was the easiest so far – really not hungry most of the day and was even not hungry when I woke up this morning. It was even a workout day – burned 700 cals. I think exercising on fast days actually helps with quelling hunger.

Next fast day is Saturday. Had to move it from my normal Sunday for a Superbowl (American football) party.

Cross your fingers for me for a pound or two loss next week 🙂

Hi Lisa,

It might just be that you gained muscle? Muscle weighs more than fat. Some people just take a bit longer before the weight starts dopping.

You might want to consider doing 4:3 (3 fast days in a week, just to get things moving?

I hope it works out for you!
    Best of luck
    Stef.

Thanks 🙂 I have been working out pretty consistently for a year or so so probably not too much muscle increase – though I did just increase a little bit the strength training vs aerobic mix.

I don’t thik 4:3 is the way to go for me. I think it’s possible that I might be actually under eating for the amount of exercise I do – my TDEE is around 2000 and most days I eat at home I probably get nowhere near that. Not attempting in any way to under eat but that’s just a lot of food unless you’re eating crap food lol 🙂 When I’m home I tend to eat very “healthy” lots of veg and good proteins with some carbs thrown in.

I had spoken with a nutritionist a while ago and she thinks my history of calorie restriction has messed up my metabolism a bit – she wanted me to increase carbs and make sure to eat over my RMR (1533) to get things going again. She did say I might see an initial increase in weight until my metabolism ramped back up again. I’m going to give it a couple of months to see if my diet naturally settles into a good pattern with the 5:2. I think not thinking too much about my non-fast days is key for me. When I do think about it I kind of naturally pull back on how much I eat. Maybe letting myself go a bit on regular days will be good for my metabolism.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.