Keto question.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bcjmmac 7 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Have a question regarding how long it takes for ketosis to start. I have been doing the 5/2 diet since Oct & am below my target weight. Despite that I have a lingering tummy bulge – only 1.5 inches, or so, but am trying to “burn” it off. I started a LCHF diet 4 days ago on a FD. Cooking/preparing my own food & using My Fitness Pal to record carbs, etc. I have been eating 50 g total carbs on NFDs & 15 on FDs. All the carbs are from veggies or FF non-sweetened Greek yogurt. Checked my urine this morning, after the gym & before my breakfast, & am still only in light ketosis.
    Willing to try for a few more days.
    What I have been eating – eggs, cheese (feta & cheddar), avocados, balsamic vinegar, zucchini, cabbage, red peppers, tomatos, celery, onions, bacon, pork sausage (<5% carbs), olive oil, butter, coffee, tea, psyllium husk, LL non-sweetened Greek yogurt.
    Any suggestions?

The problem is your NFDs. To maintain ketosis, 50g/day is on the high side and the inconsistency is likely throwing you off.

There are tweaks you can make to cut carbs on your list. Limit the tomatoes, onions, zucchini: while by no means evil, they are higher than greens in carbs. Switch out sausages for whole meat: fillers aren’t your friend. Use real mayo or regular vinegar, not balsamic. Limit the yogurt in favour of kefir cheese or hard cheese: again, good stuff but higher in carbs if you’re really keen to make cuts.

It’s easy to stay below 20g/day once you get the hang of it. Check out dietdoctor.com for lots of LCHF info and recipes (they aren’t selling anything). Good luck to you!

Thanks. I was reading several articles on diet doctor & other sites – realize 50 g total carbs Is on the high side of a moderate LCHF diet. Tried to calculate net carbs but found the info hard to determine (due the way the app I uses displays info). Despite only being in light ketosis I have lost 1/2 inch on my mid-section over the past week – 1/2kg

That’s brilliant! I have friends who have successfully lost weight on moderate LCHF. I myself, being very carb sensitive, find that I need to stay at the very low end. This still leaves me plenty of wonderful food and I’ve been losing weight for a year now.

I can recommend a free site which makes tracking/planning very easy, and gives you net carb values along with a lot of other useful things– cronometer.com .

Takes a bit of time to find the right balance for LCHF but totally worth it. Works well for 5:2 as you don’t feel as hungry on a fast day, either. Bonus!

Site looks good. I’ll enter my food for the previous week & see how it looks.
    Cheers

Hi – you may wish to look into how much sugar is in balsamic vinegar – can vary and may surprise you.

I’ve cut it out the past few days. Did some reading & think my high fluid intake (3+ litres/day) could have been throwing the urine test off – diluting the detectable bits. Anyhow, got medium-high reading this afternoon which is good. Net carbs have averaged low 20s except for last Thursday – dinner out with gang so got up to 100.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.