Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

This topic contains 7,125 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  Barata 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,001 through 3,050 (of 7,277 total)

• And homemade cherry pie! (not mine ) Crisp pastry. Juicy cherries.
    I’ll need suggestions on how to use them all…

Hi Fast Trackers And Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) 😉
    Monday random thoughts.
    The Less You Eat The More You Lose.
    If you’re not hungry do not eat.
    Continue to be a study of one.
    Find you’re doable.And keep on keeping on.
    Try and be your own self experiment.
    Be your own evidence.
    Eat Fast & Live Longer,
    Challenge yourself see how long you can actually go without calories you will be surprised.
    “Remember that reserve of fat you have on your body already and realise you actually don’t need food, you just want it.”
    “No food tastes as good as being slim feels”
    We do not have to eat all the time, therefore we are free to choose when we eat.
    The difference is between restricting some foods all the time (CER) and restricting all foods some of the time (IER). This is the difference between failure and success.
    Practice fasting as often as you can.
    This not a diet with an end date this is a permanent Way of Life.
    Ok
    10802 steps in the bank let’s get our fast on have cracking day ALL you EFFICIENT FAT BURNERS.
    “It is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once started”
    Peace RT

Thanks RT. Good inspiring stuff!
    My fave today is: “We do not have to eat all the time, therefore we are free to choose when we eat.”
    You put me to shame with your 10000 odd steps already! I’m considering staying in bed longer to use up some more of my Monday fast 🙄
    A long walk, an ocean swim and window cleaning on the adgenda later.
    Have a good one. P

My mantra for the coming week is “keep busy and out of the kitchen”

We have to “do a Bay”, don’t we? 😉 Our homes will be spotless 😀😀

Morning/evening all,

FD 1 of B2B fasts today and I’ve got a lot of stuff that I want to get done today.

I prepped an augergine bake last night as I’ve got an appointment late this afternoon and thought it a good idea to have something ready to go straight into the oven. There is enough for 2 FD dinners so I can have the rest tomorrow.

Have a good one everybody 😜

Why oh why do weekends have to pass so quickly????

That is a great list RT. I like “Be your own evidence”.

Cherry pie is my favorite!! I love cherries. Sounds like a lovely time Purple.

I”ll be doing FDs on Tuesday and Thursday this week. Last week was pretty bad. I am basically starting all over. I had lost two pounds the first three weeks that I did the 5:2 but then went crazy over Thanksgiving and haven’t gotten back on track until now.

I’m committing myself to a 30 day, 30 minute walk challenge. I started last night. Every day I will take a brisk 30 minute walk at whatever time of day I can squeeze it in. Last night felt so good.

It was dark and cold and rainy but that made me feel even more disciplined and determined! A little boost to my ego.

Hope you all have a great day!

Hi all,
    Likewise, Xmas socializing in full swing here too, so fasts need to fit in around them!

Way too excited to fast today though, long awaited Paul McCartney concert tonight and we are in the stadium wishing it would start NOW. A very wide age group represented in the audience, but I think predominantly oldies like us!

I will be fasting back to back this week, a la Amazon, on Wed and Thurs.
    So today I enjoyed an icecream in the sunshine by the river, yum! Tomorrow I will finish xmas shopping and Thurs plan a full day in the garden and away from all food! Though I may do a wiwi and nibble on fresh herbs….

Morning/evening all,

Yesterday’s FD went well and as usual I’m not hungry this morning. I was so keen to keep busy that I got the toolkit out and did a minor repair in the bathroom that has been needed for about six months. DIY dieting 😉 It may start a new trend……….

Second FD underway and I’m feeling positive and determined. My difficult time is usually around 3pm and I’ll be having my hair cut then so no chance to sneal a spoonful of pb or a few nuts.

Nama, I hope the concert is worth the anticipation. I used to love Paul as like me he is left handed (I was only 9)

Amazon,

I’m sinister too 😀

Kerry Ann,

Good luck getting back on the fasting wagon! I’ll be 49 in the spring, 5ft7, maintaining at 59-60kg since May 2014. I didn’t have a huge amount to lose (~30lbs), but 5:2 works…if you do it 😊

I had a sociable weekend, so need a strict fast this week. probably Thursday, and mindful on all other days. I’m determined not to gain weight over Christmas.

I have been under a black cloud for a couple of days, but have now started Christmas shopping so feel considerably brighter!

Nama I hope the concert was great! That sounds like a lot of fun.

Amazon here’s wishing you well on your second fast day! Some day I will give back to back a try. Once I’ve got the basics solidly under my belt! A haircut should be a great distraction! You’ll feel so beautiful you won’t want to mess it up with over eating. 🙂

Happy! I would love to be 5ft 7in!! I’m 5′ 4″. You’ve got three inches on me and yet you are 8kg lighter! You are role model now. Sorry to hear about your black cloud. I was under one last week and it’s no fun.

I believe you when you say 5:2 works and you are sooooooo right. It will work if I will. I’m back on it and feeling really good about it.

I did my second day of walking last night for my 30 day challenge and am about to head out for day #3. Today is a fast day and it will be a very busy evening, after work we will be going to my son’s high school orchestra concert and then I will go straight to ballet class at 8 pm then home and straight to bed. So the evening shouldn’t be too difficult.

yesterday was a very reasonable NFD. I didn’t count or measure but I ate very mindfully and I did not snack at all between meals. Taking my walk after dinner was incredibly helpful! I felt so much better ending my day with activity rather than moving from table to couch to bed.

alright, gotta hit the road so I’m not late getting ready for work.

Have a wonderful day/evening….wherever you are on the date line!

Thanks Amazon and Kerry Ann, the concert was amazing! Three hours non stop, mostly old Beatles numbers, well known Wings and some new material. He obviously still enjoys performing and has the energy of a teenager. Amazon my husband is also a ‘south paw’ but I dont think that was the attraction for him! He was taken to see the Beatles on their tour here when he was only 14 and has been smitten ever since. We queued up overnight for tickets to the first Wings tour about 40 years ago (no internet booking then!)and when a second concert was announced we did it again and went to both! Another tour 26 years ago was the last time Paul McCartney has been to Aus. so this event was eagerly awaited and certainly did not disappoint.

All this excitement was tempered this morning though, when I heard that my 10 day old great nephew had been admitted to ICU with meningitis. Thank goodness he has responded to IV antibiotics and is stable now, hopefully the worst is over. A seriously sick newborn certainly puts a different perspective on things.

I have had a good fast today but tonight I am starving! Into bed early (11pm is early for me) and I know I will wake up not hungry at all. I had an unusual dinner – homemade low cal bolognaise sauce – husband has it on spaghetti and I usually spiralize a zucchini. But there was no zucchini so I steamed a big serve of fresh asparagus, hey presto – asparagus bolognaise! Tasted lovely!

Hoping for a full day in the garden tomorrow – the easiest way for me to fast!

Nama,

Glad you enjoyed the concert.

I’ve been out for lunch with some friends. We went somewhere I go to fairly often so I knew the food would be good. It was packed with people having a very early roast turkey and all the trimmings as there was a special offer of 25% off the festive menu for advanced bookings which ended today. There was much jollity, paper hats, crackers, quizzes and laughter so it was a nice atmosphere.

I had some very good roasted salmon with celeriac puree and chard. I succumbed to dessert as there was no way I could sit and watch everyone else eating it 😉
    I didn’t eat before I went out and I’ve no intention of having anything else today so I’ve not overeaten 🙂

Another FD beckons tomorrow.

Nama, I’m so sorry to hear that your grand nephew is sick! and so glad he is responding well! Poor little guy. Glad you enjoyed the concert too. I love the Beattles.

I had a reasonably successful Fast day yesterday. I did get closer to 800 calories than 500 but it was all very “clean” nutritious food and I really needed the little boost that a banana gave me before ballet class. I was feeling very tired and draggy, worried I wouldn’t do well in ballet. The banana really perked me up!!

Then once I got home and went to bed I initially fell asleep but woke up starving about a half hour later and there was no way I was going to be able to fall back asleep til I ate a piece of cheese. That helped but the rest of the night was still restless.

Today I feel pretty gross. Like I’m detoxing from yesterday maybe. I’m headachey, retaining tons of water, and very tired.

I’m taking notes every day about how I’m feeling, sleeping, etc. and what exercise I’m doing and what i’m eating so I can see what works best.

I will get this figured out. I just want to be able to lose a reasonable amount of weight and have good energy most every day, all day long. I’m assuming that my body is still adapting to the fast days.

Does anyone else here remember feeling “detoxy” when they first started out? Does that go away? Or do you still experience that often?

I had plenty of water and plenty of salt yesterday and plenty of veggies. Hopefully I’m not coming down with something!

Will have another FD tomorrow. Hope you are all doing well!!

HappyNow, you said you are maintaining with 16:8. Do you fast in the morning? Are you a coffee drinker? What kind of time frame do you follow?

Just curious to know what works for others who’ve had such good success!

I just thought about my previous post and thought….Oh for pete’s sake. It’s probably just carb flu! No wonder the banana made me feel better!!

It was a super low carb day. Duh. :/

Hi Nama,

Pleased you enjoyed the concert. I love the Beatles, but must admit I’ve not really been a McCartney fan…think perhaps the Frog Chorus did for that….

Hope your great nephew makes a speedy recovery, must be awful to see such a little one so ill, I can’t begin to imagine.

Kerry Ann,

Fast days definitely get easier the more you do! Your body will get the hang of it. Patience 😀 It’s a good idea to keep a diary though. I always meant to but never quite got round to it.

My maintenance routine varies quite a bit. I do mostly practice 16:8, and that can be sufficient, but not all the time. So it works in summer when I’m more active and/or refined carbs and sugar are minimal and/or OH is away. But at the moment I’m doing perhaps one fast a week, but not necessarily strictly 500 cals or less.

In the weight loss phase I stuck to two fasts per week, but also cut out bread, pasta, all cakes/biscuits as these were the foods (empty calories!) driving my weight gain and I didn’t want to carry on with poor eating habits. Once I’d reached my goal it took a while to stop losing and start maintaining, and I was initially scared stiff of relaxing my routine and waking up a heifer again overnight! But intermittent fasting is endlessly flexible and, combining it with largely cutting out added sugar and refined carbs, has given me the tools to now stay slim (and healthy) I hope forever.

Amazon,

I’ve already had a turkey dinner, I think the earliest I’ve ever had! Not feeling Christmassy yet though…!

OH Happy! That’s an excellently motivating and informational post! And incredibly helpful! And waking up the heifer again is a fear i can totally relate too!

I’m continuing to hang in and follow the basic fasting plan of two days. I have done a lot of cleaning up with my diet as well so that part isn’t too much of a problem. I will keep on doing what i’m doing for several weeks…see what the results are and either keep on or tweak it a little until i hit on the combo that works for me.

I know Happy’s answer echos what everyone else on the thread has been saying so I don’t want the rest of you to feel like I”m going to keep asking the same questions over and over of every person!! I swear every answer is taken to heart!

Tomorrow is another fast day. I’m excited because I made a big batch of bone broth that I’m going to drink all day and hopefully look 10 years younger by Saturday!! Ha Ha!

Nama,
    So sorry to hear about the wee lad, and thankful the treatment is working well.
    Please keep us updated on his progress back to health. New babies are such a worry even when they are well.

I think Paul McCartney can sum up our Fasting régime as well as any of us- “A long and winding road” The concert sounded amazing.

I am dashing off between snowfalls to go and shop 700 metres lower in altitude. The weather forecast shows snow as from tomorrow for the next week. It’s bright and shiny today and I hope the black ice has melted.

Good to have updates from our global group. I must say the fasting is not that easy at present. Our house was at 3° when we arrived home after 5 days absence. Since then with the wood stove running constantly it is back at 17°, but cold is incompatible with 400 calorie days, and I have been eating lentils to try to get warm. Fortunately sugar is not an attraction, though hot milk in water coffee is.It’s probably warmer outside than inside.

Happy Fasting.
    WiWi.

PS RT, I’ve been screwed by a lawyer this week. Your story really appealed to me.

Morning/evening all,

Wiwi, I’m with you on fasting when it’s cold. I am planning to start cold FDs with a trip to the gym or a workout at home follwed by a hot shower, an extra layer of clothes and a hot drink. I always have a coffee late morning with 50 mls of hot semi skimmed milk. It is an invaluable 24 calories on FDs as it is warming and satisfying along with a most welcome caffeine hit 🙂

Nama, I hope your little great nephew is continuing to improve and makes a full and speedy recovery.

I’m fasting again today and I have a portion of wild mushroom risotto defrosting. I am determined not to have anything else apart from teas and coffees until dinner time.
    I have lots to do but can’t decide where to start………

Thankyou all for your wishes, the little man is making good progress, fortunately his Mum trusted her instincts and got medical attention early. And blood tests all pointing to viral meningitis, the least serious type. Enough to terrify us all though!
    Another good fast today, that is my weeks worth done! Family for roast tomorrow night so I will aim to resist food until dinner time. Ongoing saga with car aircon continues and repairs booked for 2 hours duration in the morning, so I have hatched a plan to kill the time. I am going to take Jack with me (sons poodle) and walk him for an hour away from the repair place, then walk back! That will do me instead of a swim tomorrow, though if the rain continues I might get both a walk and a swim!
    I dont envy your weather in the Northern Hemisphere, fasting is SO much harder in the cold. And Wiwi, a cold house is the worst! Stoke that stove girl!

Good morning and Great news!
    HA! I lost one pound this week  I feel very good about that. I’m back on track and feel like the fasting is getting a wee bit easier. Today is my second fast day for the week. I had a bowl of bone broth with some cabbage and diced tomatoes in it for bulk. I have to say, I think that has been the most satisfying way to start a FD so far. I brought a big jar of it to work with me (without the veggies…just broth) to keep me warm on the inside and also for the reported health benefits of bone broth. Hopefully, they will prove to be real. I’m really hoping it will help with this overall achiness I have in my joints and some muscles.

I did my walk last night…that was day 4 of my 30 day walk challenge. I only clocked in 3.4K steps though. It was so so slick and icy that even though I had ice chains on my shoes I still slipped a couple of times so I walked really slowly.
    Did 45 minutes of yoga this morning and am feeling very good, like the indulgences of Thanksgiving have finally slipped away.

Nama that’s great news that the little man is recovering well!! I have four of those, once little now quite large, critters. I adore all babies but little boys have a special place in my heart.

Frustrating that your car’s AC is still not working.

Wiwi, remind me where you are that you are having winter weather too? The UK? I had to laugh when I read “cold is incompatible with 400 calorie days”!  I couldn’t agree more. I’m hoping my bone broth will help with that! And I sure hope you made 5,000 bucks off that lawyer!!!!

Amazon, I hope your FD went well and that you were able to get all your stuff done!

Happy, Purple, RT….hope you’re all doing well today!

Hi Fast Trackers and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) 😉

Doctor Stories

A man comes into the ER and yells, “My wife’s going to have her baby in the cab!” I grabbed my stuff, rushed out to the cab, lifted the lady’s dress, and began to take off her underwear. Suddenly I noticed that there were several cabs, and I was in the wrong one. –Dr. Mark MacDonald, San Antonio, TX

At the beginning of my shift I placed a stethoscope on an elderly and slightly deaf female patient’s anterior chest wall. “Big breaths,” I instructed. “Yes, they used to be,” she remorsefully replied. –Dr. Richard Byrnes, Seattle, WA

One day I had to be the bearer of bad news when I told a wife that her husband had died of a massive myocardial infarct. Not more than five minutes later, I heard her reporting to the rest of the family that he had died of a “massive internal fart.” –Dr. Susan Steinberg, Manitoba, Canada

I was performing a complete physical, including the visual acuity test. I placed the patient twenty feet from the chart and began, “Cover your right eye with your hand.” He read the 20/20 line perfectly. “Now your left.” Again, a flawless read. “Now both,” I requested. There was silence. He couldn’t even read the large E on the top line. I turned and discovered that he had done exactly what I had asked; he was standing there with both his eyes covered. I was laughing too hard to finish the exam. –Dr. Matthew Theodropolous, Worcester, MA

During a patient’s two week follow-up appointment with his cardiologist, he informed me, his doctor, that he was having trouble with one of his medications. Which one?” I asked. “The patch. The nurse told me to put on a new one every six hours and now I’m running out of places to put it!” I had him quickly undress and discovered what I hoped I wouldn’t see. Yes, the man had over fifty patches on his body! Now the instructions include removal of the old patch before applying a new one. –Dr. Rebecca St. Clair, Norfolk, VA

While acquainting myself with a new elderly patient, I asked, “How long have you been bed-ridden?” After a look of complete confusion she answered, “Why, not for about twenty years — when my husband was alive.” –Dr. Steven Swanson, Corvallis, OR

I was caring for a woman from Kentucky and asked, “So, how’s your breakfast this morning?” “It’s very good, except for the Kentucky Jelly. I can’t seem to get used to the taste,” the patient replied. I then asked to see the jelly and the woman produced a foil packet labeled “KY Jelly.” –Dr. Leonard Kransdorf, Detroit, MI

A new, young MD doing his residency in OB was quite embarrassed performing female pelvic exams. To cover his embarrassment he had unconsciously formed a habit of whistling softly. The middle aged lady upon whom he was performing this exam suddenly burst out laughing and further embarrassed him. He looked up from his work and sheepishly said, “I’m sorry. Was I tickling you?” She replied, “No doctor, but the song you were whistling was “I wish I was an Oscar Meyer Wiener.” –won’t admit his name

Have A Happy Weekend All You beautiful Losers 😆
    Peace RT

Thanks RT 😆

Enjoy your weekend too!

Thanks RT. 😂😂 The “big breaths” and “bed-ridden” win our award!! Mr P and I love sharing your giggles when we wake on Friday mornings.

We’ve had our 2 fasts this week and have been rewarded with nice weights.
    We tend to skip most breakfasts on other days and have 2 x 24 hour no food fasts, followed by a low carb meal. Nothing like as strict as we were in 2013, when we were in the weight loss phase. Maintenance is more challenging in a lot of ways, as it is forever and your total consumption can never be much, but fasting is a known and the joy of not being overweight or obese is immeasurable. ☺☺

Nama, I do hope the little fella makes a full recovery. One of my brothers had meningitis as a baby. It was a terrible trauma for my parents, but thankfully he got through it just fine, but we always used it as an excuse for any of his odd, totally unrelated, behaviour! Siblings can be SO cruel 😑😑😶

Wiwi, I feel for you in the cold. The worst problem I’m having is mozzie bites when I’m sitting around in wet swimmers in the evening. It’s certainly easier to fast in the warmth. You’d better fly back south 😊

Keep up the fine work FTs..and have a good weekend. P

OK, so I’ve kept myself as busy as possible, household chores done, Christmas cards written and posted, presents wrapped.
    I’m now watching TV, drinking water and telling myself
    I AM NOT HUNGRY………

Methinks an early night is on the cards but I know I’ll not be hungry when I wake up in the morning 🙂

I know the feeling Amazon 😑☺😑😶☺
    You CAN do it mate. P

Thanks Purple 🤐🤐🤐

Well I’m at the end of a fast day. Nothing except some milk in morning coffee and a small glass of kefir. Kept occupied this evening by the last of my art classes for this year. It’s been snowing lightly, and the temperature has plummeted. Tomorrow might reach the tropical delights of zero! Definitely no fasting! So funny to read of air con and sitting round in swimmers!

Amazon,

I’m trying to be pleased for you that you’ve achieved so much in the Christmas prep department… but i can’t. And I worry that you’ve peaked too soon and will now be kicking your heels with nothing to do for the next two weeks…, 😇

Mr P always believed in doing all his Xmas shopping on 24/12…no overchoice then 😑😑

Maybe when I was younger…but that’s just too stressful these days. I’ll hopefully be mostly organised by this time on Sunday… Or am I just hexing myself even thinking that?! If we get iced in this weekend I’m cancelling Christmas!!

Order online and hope the delivery people have drones? 😉😉

Good morning and Great news!
    HA! I lost one pound this week  I feel very good about that. I’m back on track and feel like the fasting is getting a wee bit easier. Today is my second fast day for the week. I had a bowl of bone broth with some cabbage and diced tomatoes in it for bulk. I have to say, I think that has been the most satisfying way to start a FD so far. I brought a big jar of it to work with me (without the veggies…just broth) to keep me warm on the inside and also for the reported health benefits of bone broth. Hopefully, they will prove to be real. I’m really hoping it will help with this overall achiness I have in my joints and some muscles.

I did my walk last night…that was day 4 of my 30 day walk challenge. I only clocked in 3.4K steps though. It was so so slick and icy that even though I had ice chains on my shoes I still slipped a couple of times so I walked really slowly.
    Did 45 minutes of yoga this morning and am feeling very good, like the indulgences of Thanksgiving have finally slipped away.

Nama that’s great news that the little man is recovering well!! I have four of those, once little now quite large, critters. I adore all babies but little boys have a special place in my heart.

Frustrating that your car’s AC is still not working.

Wiwi, remind me where you are that you are having winter weather too? The UK? I had to laugh when I read “cold is incompatible with 400 calorie days”!  I couldn’t agree more. I’m hoping my bone broth will help with that! And I sure hope you made 5,000 bucks off that lawyer!!!!

Amazon, I hope your FD went well and that you were able to get all your stuff done!

Hello everyone else!

Morning/evening all,

Happy,

The cards were written and the presents wrapped to keep me out of the kitchen. I had one of those very hungry FDs yesterday and I finally resorted to 2 dill pickles!
    I went to bed early and slept really well and am down another lb this morning so all is well.
    And of course, I’m not the slightest bit hungry.

I did need to wrap one present as it is going to be given out tomorrow.

As for peaking too soon, I still have 3 cakes to decorate and I need to do them on non FDs……………

Amazon, when you were desperate to eat at the end of your fast day yesterday, I was waking to the morning after. ..and, as you predicted, I wasn’t hungry any more. It really shows eating is simply a mind game, isn’t it? The trick is to get past that craving to the phase where hunger is not so pressing.

Just had Friday night proper dinner. ..crispy skin bbq salmon, mixed green leaves, slaw mix, home grown miniature spuds in mayo, capers, parsley and mustard and fresh mango. SO good, it makes holding out last night well worth it!! P 😊😊

Yum, Purple. So looking forward to being in summer again-

I am having my first FD this week as we have now managed to heat the 80cm walls of the house and it’s pleasant inside. The stone walls transfer the heat.
    I made the error of tasting a crumpet I made for OH last night and couldn’t sleep.
    So tonight sauerkraut and a lovely local egg.

I live in France, Kerry Ann, for 8 months a year, at 1000m in South East France not too far from Avignon.It’s a place with a lovely dry climate, sunny but snowy because of its altitude. It’s the dream of some Antipodeans like me to live in an old stone house, in a small village. France however is in some ways quite complicated to live in, and probably reached its bestby date for me about 10 years ago. However I have no choice and we really make the best of being in Europe by travelling. I am not miserable at all.
    Must go to work to keep family business afloat.
    xx Wiwi

Sorry to get you salivating Wi 😑😑
    You are right about most of us dreaming of living your life in France!! It just never going to happen for us now, so we have to be satisfied with doing the long haul biannually. 2018 is a Europe travel year again. 😊😊P

I’ve just broken my fast with a handful of toasted nuts left over from decorating my cake. The other two are now covered in marzipan and will be iced next week.

I guess I’ll need to get on with more mundane tasks such as ironing…………😖

Purple, do you make your mayo with Chick pea liquid?

Finished my second fast day of the week yesterday very successfully. the scale shows a 3 pound weightloss for the week.

Wiwi, that does sound like fun traveling around Europe. My husband and I are looking forward to doing that ourselves some day in the near future.

Have a wonderful all!

No Wi. I haven’t tried making mayo in donkey’s years. Chichpea liquid mayo sounds interesting. ..

Amazon, I’m hoping the ironing will just go away. They’re not MY shirts 😉😉
    Mmm..marzipan. …now that’s a flavour I haven’t tasting in a very long time. Yum! Reminds me of wedding cakes.

Off to buy a real Chrissy tree from the Scouts. A big ritual on our household. 🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄P

Ooohhh homemade marzipan. Now that is a flavour 😀

Ironing. No.

Morning/evening all,

If I decide to ice my own Christmas cake I always make almond paste but I seem to eat rather a lot of it before it gets anywhere near the cake 😳

It is 1°C, everything is covered in the frost, the sky is blue and the sun is shining. Looks great from here in the warm.

I have a new tree this year and it has a root and came planted in a pot. It will live in the garden as the previous one did until it became too large for me to carry up the stairs. The old one has been moved (with great difficulty and risking a hernia) into the front garden where it can take its chances. I though someone might help themselves but would-be tree thieves are obviously less strong than me 😆

I am socialising today and there is bound to be collateral damage so Sunday will be a FD.

We have a Christmas tree in our front garden. The previous owner planted it there in 1955 after they had had it inside! It’s enormous now.
    We’ve been playing around with lights and decorations today. I love this part of Christmas. The weather is beautiful. The days are long. The evenings gorgeous.
    I’m yet to decide if I just go silver and white this year, or add other colours to the tree.
    Can you post me one of your cakes Amazon? I couldn’t be bothered making them any more. ..although I miss eating glacé cherries straight from the packet 😉😉 P

Hi girls,

We have a huge, probably 20 metres high Cedar tree in our back garden that I purchased as a xmas tree 25 years ago, it was about one metre high then, including the pot!

I will join you for a Sunday fast day Amazon, too much sourdough bread today and planning a full day in the garden, planting annuals I bought 3 weeks ago and have not yet put in the ground!
    Please save me some icing!

Maybe one Amazon cake sent South and we’ll share it, 😉😉

Hi Amazon
    How do you make almond paste?
    I have made a Christmas cake and took it to the UK last week.(The plane by the way landed safely at Luton in spite of my fruit cake packed full of fruit and nuts) The problem I have is that the UK Dr Oestler almond paste is only 25% almond and the rest sugar. In France the almond paste is 33% almond which is only marginally better. I have an NZ recipe for simulated almond paste using semolina and almond essence which you can add as little sugar as you like, but is there any almond paste in the UK which is 50% at least of almond or do you know how to make it yourself? Like all of us, I have an inbuilt dislike of sugary mixtures especially as the cake has dried fruit which is sweet. Any tips would be helpful, thank you.

Purple, I was reading about a chef making meringues using tinned chickpea juice suitable for vegans.
    All this walk of Christmas food and looking out at the 5cm of snow which fell last night, I ‘m inspired to play Christmas carols.
    xx Wiwi

I’ve been teaching my granddaughter Christmas carols Wi. It’s been lovely digging out old favourites and playing them.
    Gosh my mouth has been craving marzipan since last night 😉😉

Purple, try almonds alone or sniff almond essence.
    The smell of almond essence takes me back to childhood Christmasses and the Hans Anderson story “The Little Match Girl”

Funny thing in my French supermarket is that they play Xmas carols in English. Quel Horreur!

Wiwi,

Marzipan is half almond half sugar. Bit of a shock when I first made my own and realised!

The following is a basic recipe
    http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/how-to-cook/how-to-make-marzipan

And Delia is usually pretty reliable
    https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/occasions/christmas/christmas-cakes-icings-and-toppings/almond-icing-marzipan

I think I used this, but minus the almond extract.

You could maybe try it with less sugar?

Ok. I’ll give it a miss and stick to cheese and olives. Thanks Happy

Viewing 50 posts - 3,001 through 3,050 (of 7,277 total)

You must be logged in to reply.